southwest1675

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:14 pm

NK is already pushing with what they have with one gate so far. Doesn’t help it’s on the cramped almost unusable A Concourse. Makes you wonder if they broke ground on BNA Vision a lot sooner.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
NK is already pushing with what they have with one gate so far. Doesn’t help it’s on the cramped almost unusable A Concourse. Makes you wonder if they broke ground on BNA Vision a lot sooner.

Maybe this is why Doug is pushing for almost 70 gates.

southwest1675

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:27 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Maybe this is why Doug is pushing for almost 70 gates.

No doubt the next few years at BNA will be fun to watch. A potential WN/NK battle in BNA over the next decade? I assume NK will be adding a few more flights as the gates become available...
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Jshank83

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:27 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
tphuang wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

True, but I'm hearing whispers of big WN plans for BNA behind the scenes so once the MAX is back, WN will respond in big ways.

I am sure they will.

Not saying spirit will become larger than even delta or aa. But a large spirit operation here would really kill wn yield.

The good news for WN is NK can't really do much more in the short term because BNA is out of gates.

Maybe WN should be forced to give up gates to NK since WN can't grow with the MAX grounded. :spin:

southwest1675

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:28 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I am sure they will.

Not saying spirit will become larger than even delta or aa. But a large spirit operation here would really kill wn yield.

The good news for WN is NK can't really do much more in the short term because BNA is out of gates.

Maybe WN should be forced to give up gates to NK since WN can't grow with the MAX grounded. :spin:

Already giving up gates to American.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

capt505

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:33 pm

I will be bold and predict NK puts a hangar in BNA within the next few years..... It can go across the other side of 31 overlooking Embraer.

BNAMealer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:35 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Speaking of which, Doug gave some details today on the construction.

Concourse D is scheduled to open on July 16th in the evening.

The lobby will close in January 2021 for the core of the 2 year renovation/expansion. Operations will be split for two years between the north terminal wing/Concourses A/B and the south terminal wing/Concourses C/D. That's gonna be a mess.
Last edited by BNAMealer on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BNAMealer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:35 pm

capt505 wrote:
I will be bold and predict NK puts a hangar in BNA within the next few years..... It can go across the other side of 31 overlooking Embraer.

They would probably need to put a base here if they did that.

southwest1675

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 pm

While I don't wanna get ahead, I have no doubt NK wants to do big things in BNA. I mean I don't see why you put your OCC and only have 10 destinations in that market. We very well could see a hangar, a base, and yes, over 100 daily departures. It would take some time, but the MNAA and airlines do a lot of work behind the scenes. NK is growing, and with them picking up the A220, this could be feasible.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

n917me

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:06 am

southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Heard hiring in the spring for a summer 2020 takeover. This is from my AA/Envoy friends at BNA.

Will it be for all AA ops, both mainline and regional?

I sincerely hope this means AA gets more aggressive at BNA with upgauging and adding PHX/BOS.

Envoy will handle the regional flights, and mainline will handle the mainline flights to my understanding.

Mainline will handle all flights. This is from TWU/IAM members. They will vote to ratify contract in March.
Openings will be filled with those having recall rights.. mainline transfers. Remainder will be filled by Envoy, who will interview, then external.

n917me

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:07 am

There is only 3 Envoy flights currently.. those could easily be replaced by another wholly owned or SkyWest

BNAMealer

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:10 am

n917me wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Will it be for all AA ops, both mainline and regional?

I sincerely hope this means AA gets more aggressive at BNA with upgauging and adding PHX/BOS.

Envoy will handle the regional flights, and mainline will handle the mainline flights to my understanding.

Mainline will handle all flights. This is from TWU/IAM members. They will vote to ratify contract in March.
Openings will be filled with those having recall rights.. mainline transfers. Remainder will be filled by Envoy, who will interview, then external.

Have you heard any rumblings of AA starting new flights or upgauging once the mainline workers come on?

n917me

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 am

BNAMealer wrote:
n917me wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Have you heard any rumblings of AA starting new flights or upgauging once the mainline workers come on?

Nope. For our summer schedule currently will be 50 daily flights.. 9 CLT..8 DFW..8 ORD..6 PHL..4 MIA..2 LAX. 5 LGA..2 JFK.. 6 DCA

I highly doubt PHX will be added. Low yield, served enough by WN and why would we overly DFW..our most profitable hub?
Not sure BOS would be added either. No need and very limited connections. Would be mostly O&D.
If anything I see maybe upgauging.

BNAMealer

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:21 am

n917me wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
n917me wrote:

Nope. For our summer schedule currently will be 50 daily flights.. 9 CLT..8 DFW..8 ORD..6 PHL..4 MIA..2 LAX. 5 LGA..2 JFK.. 6 DCA

I highly doubt PHX will be added. Low yield, served enough by WN and why would we overly DFW..our most profitable hub?
Not sure BOS would be added either. No need and very limited connections. Would be mostly O&D.
If anything I see maybe upgauging.

I disagree, I have to think PHX will come at some point. The airport wants another carrier on BNA-PHX, and if AA wants to stay competitive in BNA, they need to have access to all their hubs.

I don't know about BOS, but stranger things have happened.

TangoCharlie123

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:48 am

Did Spirit provide any reasoning as to why they chose Nashville for the operations center? To me, it seems like a bit of an odd choice considering where most of their operations are currently located, even if they are wanting to expand at BNA.

BNAMealer

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:15 am

TangoCharlie123 wrote:
Did Spirit provide any reasoning as to why they chose Nashville for the operations center? To me, it seems like a bit of an odd choice considering where most of their operations are currently located, even if they are wanting to expand at BNA.

The biggest reason I saw was to move further inland to be away from the hurricane prone Florida.

southwest1675

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:20 am

TangoCharlie123 wrote:

“Nashville clearly came out on top in a nationwide search due to geographic location, business climate and its growing aviation sector. We look forward to building on our plans for future network expansion and protecting our growing 24/7 operation by starting this new chapter in Nashville," Ted Christie, President and CEO of Spirit Airlines, said.

https://fox17.com/news/local/spirit-air ... mRFPy_6Afs

It'll be in Franklin most likely. I wouldn't rule out Brentwood or even Thompsons Station.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

usflyer msp

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:25 am

I was hoping NKs new OCC would be somewhere near MTSU's aviation school in Murfreesboro. I might have applied for a job there if that was the case. Franklin and all that Cool Springs traffic is no bueno. Maybe ill be USFlyer BNA one day...

dfdubflyer

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 am

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

The lobby will close in January 2021 for the core of the 2 year renovation/expansion. Operations will be split for two years between the north terminal wing/Concourses A/B and the south terminal wing/Concourses C/D. That's gonna be a mess.

Interesting, so that means for two years BA passengers wont have access to the Admiral's Club. That will be a total mess. For years I would go through security on the A/B side and walk to the C gates because it was usually lighter but I guess that game is over!

bnatraveler

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:55 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Interesting, so that means for two years BA passengers wont have access to the Admiral's Club. That will be a total mess. For years I would go through security on the A/B side and walk to the C gates because it was usually lighter but I guess that game is over!

I wouldn't be surprised that now with mainline AA taking over the ramp and with concourse D opening that they start towing the plane to C.

EMBQA

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
It'll be in Franklin most likely. I wouldn't rule out Brentwood or even Thompsons Station.

I'd bet on the Cool Springs area. Several new and ready to lease office space available. 350 people do not need that big of a building. Heck, the Mars building just opened up when they consolidated locations, and after reading the Presser, they've already picked out the new location. 49,000 sq foot
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Lexy

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:59 pm

bnatraveler wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised that now with mainline AA taking over the ramp and with concourse D opening that they start towing the plane to C.

Not going to happen. The contract with Dnata will not allow that.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

BNAMealer

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:23 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
While I don't wanna get ahead, I have no doubt NK wants to do big things in BNA. I mean I don't see why you put your OCC and only have 10 destinations in that market. We very well could see a hangar, a base, and yes, over 100 daily departures. It would take some time, but the MNAA and airlines do a lot of work behind the scenes. NK is growing, and with them picking up the A220, this could be feasible.

For sure a base is a strong possibility with this. I would find it hard pressed to believe they’d put their operations center in a city and not ultimately make it a base. 100 flights though? Not sure if I’d go that far. While I would welcome that, there aren’t enough gates for that at the moment, and I can’t believe WN is just gonna sit idly by and let NK grow.

The question is, can BNA support both a 200-300 flight WN operation and a 100 flight NK operation? And how many gates do they want? How many gates will MNAA need to build?

This is gonna be a interesting next decade at BNA.

CLJFlyer

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:40 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
dronezone wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Wow. More growth for Williamson County.

Most likely near the Franklin/Cool Springs area I would imagine.

I’m about 10 minutes away from the Nissan HQ. They just keep building office space around here.

I just moved away for work from the Cool Springs area. But the Franklin Park campus is getting another 10+ story office building. I used to be in my 8th floor office at sunset and watch the BA flight make a turn to head for BNA right above my building. I sure do miss Franklin

BNAMealer

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:16 pm

CLJFlyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
dronezone wrote:

Most likely near the Franklin/Cool Springs area I would imagine.

I’m about 10 minutes away from the Nissan HQ. They just keep building office space around here.

I just moved away for work from the Cool Springs area. But the Franklin Park campus is getting another 10+ story office building. I used to be in my 8th floor office at sunset and watch the BA flight make a turn to head for BNA right above my building. I sure do miss Franklin

Another possibility is Berry Farms in south Franklin.

southwest1675

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:13 am

I really wonder how Sun Country is doing in BNA. I've heard they do pretty well. It's just with competition, it makes you wonder if a small airline with little market share will hold on. DL/WN covers MSP, WN/AA/DL/NK handle LAX, and WN is getting on with PDX. They have MSN starting. It was requested by many tourists. Time will tell I suppose.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:14 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I really wonder how Sun Country is doing in BNA. I've heard they do pretty well. It's just with competition, it makes you wonder if a small airline with little market share will hold on. DL/WN covers MSP, WN/AA/DL/NK handle LAX, and WN is getting on with PDX. They have MSN starting. It was requested by many tourists. Time will tell I suppose.

I think they’ll eventually cut down to MSP only. They simply cannot match what WN, NK and even G4 offer. If G4 ever enters MSN, I could see them running SY off the route.

Frankly, I struggle to see how SY will stay in business long term.

Jshank83

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:21 pm

Went thru the MAX changes

-70 (-7.5%) a week total from original schedule
even -10 daily

Total flights 858 now for June.

Cubsrule

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:12 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

even -10 daily

Do you know which routes those are? BNA is obviously a growth market for WN but OTOH they've also done much of the cutting on long, low-frequency routes served easily over other hubs like BNA-BUR/SJC. BNA has a fair amount of that flying.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Jshank83

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

even -10 daily

Do you know which routes those are? BNA is obviously a growth market for WN but OTOH they've also done much of the cutting on long, low-frequency routes served easily over other hubs like BNA-BUR/SJC. BNA has a fair amount of that flying.

I can post later tonight. I was in a hurry so I didn’t mark them (But I kept a copy of the original). I think ORF was one. Maybe ATL/MCI/STL/MSY/DTW/LAS also. But I’ll check for sure. ORF was daily and went to weekend only. TPA Actually added a mon-fri flight. Whatever I post will be originating at BNA. some aren’t even both ways.

bval

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:16 pm

Preview of D concourse from Doug Kreulen's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/DougKreulen/status/ ... 5842197504

Ramprat212

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:26 pm

Looks like concourse D will be used by southwest as everyone anticipated.

BNAMealer

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:35 pm

Looks great! Just sad it won't be fully utilized until the MAX is ungrounded.

southwest1675

Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:19 pm

RIP BNA Carpet. I told Doug a piece should be saved as part of the “Arts At The Airport” program.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Jshank83

Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:24 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

even -10 daily

Reductions
Mon-Fri - ATL/BWI/BOS/DEN/DTW/LAS/MKE/MSY/SAT/STL/ORF with an add to TPA
Sat - AUS/BOS/CLE/FLL/MKE/MCOx2/PNS/RDU/TPA
Sun - BWI/MDW/CMH/DEN/MCI/LAS/MSY/MCO/PHX/RDU
Last edited by Jshank83 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jplatts

Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:37 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
For sure a base is a strong possibility with this. I would find it hard pressed to believe they’d put their operations center in a city and not ultimately make it a base. 100 flights though? Not sure if I’d go that far. While I would welcome that, there aren’t enough gates for that at the moment, and I can’t believe WN is just gonna sit idly by and let NK grow.

The question is, can BNA support both a 200-300 flight WN operation and a 100 flight NK operation? And how many gates do they want? How many gates will MNAA need to build?

This is gonna be a interesting next decade at BNA.

While NK doesn't currently serve PVD, WN re-adding BNA-PVD nonstop service is a possibility since (a) the PDEW on BNA-PVD was 109 passengers/day in Q3 2019, (b) there is a significant amount of passengers connecting to destinations west of BNA from PVD, and (c) PVD is one of the top destinations not currently served nonstop from BNA.

WN re-adding BNA-BDL nonstop service and WN adding BNA-ABQ nonstop service are both also possibilities with BDL and ABQ being two of the top destinations that aren't currently served nonstop from BNA.

Cubsrule

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:11 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

even -10 daily

Reductions

Interesting. The routes make sense (lots of routes that are very high frequency, thin, and/or competitive), but the average stage length is shorter than I expected given how they have been managing the MAX cuts so far.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Jshank83

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:09 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Reductions

Interesting. The routes make sense (lots of routes that are very high frequency, thin, and/or competitive), but the average stage length is shorter than I expected given how they have been managing the MAX cuts so far.

I feel like that was more of the route they went this time than the last few. More “hub” to “hub” routes cut. Less longer ones. Although maybe it’s because they had to cut more in general.

southwest1675

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:24 am

For the ramp rats out there. I talked to some of the folks who work for United Ground Express. The subsidiary owned by UAL. Apparently BNA is being looked at becoming a mainline station for UA. I don’t know the specifics of UGE, but aside from pay and name, I’m not sure how much they differ. I’ve heard the operation isn’t terrible. Granted they handle about 24 departures a day.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:40 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
For the ramp rats out there. I talked to some of the folks who work for United Ground Express. The subsidiary owned by UAL. Apparently BNA is being looked at becoming a mainline station for UA. I don’t know the specifics of UGE, but aside from pay and name, I’m not sure how much they differ. I’ve heard the operation isn’t terrible. Granted they handle about 24 departures a day.

Interesting. It's starting to look like my little outpost at the corner of B concourse is gonna be real cramped real soon.

southwest1675

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:00 pm

skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Interesting. It's starting to look like my little outpost at the corner of B concourse is gonna be real cramped real soon.

Some of the best days of my life were on the ramp. I miss it somedays. I’m in operations now, but there have been some nice days recently where I wish I was outside working.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:15 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Some of the best days of my life were on the ramp. I miss it somedays. I’m in operations now, but there have been some nice days recently where I wish I was outside working.
I truly think it's one of the coolest jobs one can have, that being said I'm obviously a bit biased on that front, haha. All I wish is that we'd get some damn snow at night so I could spray for once. Been dying to all winter

tys777

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:45 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I think they’ll eventually cut down to MSP only. They simply cannot match what WN, NK and even G4 offer. If G4 ever enters MSN, I could see them running SY off the route.

Frankly, I struggle to see how SY will stay in business long term.

I don't know that they will go under. Labor costs are relatively low, they are moving towards ownership of fleet vs leases, and have a loyal MSP base of travelers. Even if they retrenched everything back to MSP, I think they will stick around for a while. They'll grow once the MAX is ungrounded as a large amount of their growth strategy was acquiring 737NG's as they came off lease at other airlines that were acquiring the MAX.

BNAMealer

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:10 am

https://www.flynashville.com/about/Documents/Board%20Docs/2019/Board/Minutes/Board%2012-18-19.pdf

Interesting tidbit from the December 2019 board minutes (see page 2)

As some of you may remember, officials from NRT visited BNA in December

https://twitter.com/Fly_Nashville/status/1205124042870710273

At the board meeting, the following was said about the meeting

Last week, BNA Officials met with Officials from sister airport, Narita International, in Japan. Like BNA, Narita is trying to build air service from Japan to Nashville. The Officials from Narita are also experiencing the same issues with adding gates, incentivizing air service, and a runway extension. Narita believed Miami and Nashville were the top two markets for opportunities in the United States for non-stop service to Asia.

I'm not sure if I'd go that far, but that is encouraging. Doug did mention last week though that Asia is about 5-6 years away.

southwest1675

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:19 am

BNAMealer wrote:
https://www.flynashville.com/about/Documents/Board%20Docs/2019/Board/Minutes/Board%2012-18-19.pdf

Last week, BNA Officials met with Officials from sister airport, Narita International, in Japan. Like BNA, Narita is trying to build air service from Japan to Nashville. The Officials from Narita are also experiencing the same issues with adding gates, incentivizing air service, and a runway extension. Narita believed Miami and Nashville were the top two markets for opportunities in the United States for non-stop service to Asia.

I'm not sure if I'd go that far, but that is encouraging. Doug did mention last week though that Asia is about 5-6 years away.

Very interesting. Then Governor Haslam flirted with an Asia flight back in 2011. Not much came from it as expected. A lot has changed since then. Nissan, Bridgestone, Mitsubishi, Phillips, and Toyo would have to put effort into getting a flight like this. I wonder if people in Asia like country music...
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

DakotaFlyer

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:53 pm

BNAMealer wrote:

But how were the cupcakes :)

skitchie

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 pm

I live the DO328 so much, pumped that we'll get to see it on a scheduled service

Amwest2United

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:08 am

Lexy wrote:
bnatraveler wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

Not going to happen. The contract with Dnata will not allow that.

What is not going to happen because of Dnata? American is taking over all ramp functions at BNA with the new contract, so Dnata is not a factor.
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

toltommy

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:27 am

southwest1675 wrote:

The labor contract between UA and the IAM is very clear about which stations would be staffed by mainline, and which could be outsourced. It's extremely unlikely that United would insource a station midcontract. Not to say it couldn't happen. But it's more likely to be best wishes of the UGE employees at BNA. What they don't realize is that current union members will have transfer rights. They won't be UGE one day, mainline the next. There's a good chance they could be out of a job.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

bval

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:01 am

skitchie wrote:
I live the DO328 so much, pumped that we'll get to see it on a scheduled service

Wait did I miss something? Who is flying those and to where?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos