Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kwp302

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:15 pm

CVGspottekass wrote:
A new airline for CVG is supposed to be announced Friday!

Alaska enters the CVG market. Will fly SEA-CVG-SEA daily on a daytime schedule. Delta currently flies this route with a redeye. Does DL shift to a daytime schedule? Go double-daily?

Will this have any impact on the likelihood of SDF getting flights to SEA or Alaska service? Or does it matter very little in the grand scheme of things? Probably the latter but who knows.

Delta28L

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:56 pm

CVGspottekass wrote:

It’s Alaska Airlines starting in august of this year

Bluegrass60

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:05 pm

AS CVG-SEA it is. AS wants to be in all major metro's east of Mississippi River. SDF? MEM?

Noted that DL is starting MEM-BOS in Oct. Would think a similar announcement for SDF will happen sooner than later

crjflyboy

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:16 am

kwp302 wrote:
atrude777 wrote:
https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/ky-gov-to-announce-major-project/article_050f0122-56fe-11ea-bfdc-63f886142436.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WPSD-TV

“PADUCAH -- Barkley Regional Airport is receiving state funding for a new terminal.

On Monday, Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear announced that the Kentucky Department of Aviation will provide $5 million towards the new terminal.

The new 30,000 square foot terminal will have modern utilities, more room for TSA security, and a jet bridge for passengers.

It will be located just south of the current terminal”

If the timeline is correct we could be boarding our next United flight to Chicago via a Jetbridge by 2023!

Exciting times for the Paducah and Western Kentucky region. Hope it works out for them!

Alex

The $5 million of funding was pulled from the funds for smaller airport pavement rehabs, safety area enhancements, lighting repairs, etc. that simply keep those airports running. Does PAH really need this?

so the new boondoggle will have "MODERN UTILITIES " does the current facility have wood burning stoves and outhouses ?

what a colossal waste of money this is ...

kwp302

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:15 am

New CDC recommendation states that all events in the next 8 weeks with 50 or more people should be cancelled or postponed. This includes Derby. This is likely to have a huge impact on SDF and Louisville as a whole.

tnair1974

Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:39 pm

kwp302 wrote:
New CDC recommendation states that all events in the next 8 weeks with 50 or more people should be cancelled or postponed. This includes Derby. This is likely to have a huge impact on SDF and Louisville as a whole.

Maybe a chance the Derby could be delayed depending on how long this pandemic lasts? But then what about the Preakness, Belmont? May have to wait until next year??

Thunder Over Louisville would seem doubtful, unless they could somehow have the fireworks without the crowds.

The 2020 Breeders Cup is scheduled this fall at Keeneland which is literally across the road from LEX. Hopefully the dust will finally be settling by then, but who knows....

How has UPS operations at SDF and elsewhere been affected? For that matter, other freight/parcel operators like FedEx at SDF, MEM, etc?

tnair1974

Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:19 am

Operational issues continue for aviation operators, pandemic or no pandemic. An 18 wheeler carrying horses struck the wing of a Tex Sutton "Air Horse One" 722 at LEX a few days ago. At least from what I see from the pics, no evidence of orange traffic cones or other warning devices under the wingtip. The truck driver was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries, but no others (humans nor horses) were hurt.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... s-airport/

Tex Sutton's "Air Horse One" often frequents SDF as well. IIRC, the Sutton 722 brought American Pharoah back to SDF after clinching the Triple Crown at the Belmont.

kwp302

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:28 am

kwp302 wrote:

Looks like Derby will be rescheduled to September 5. It'll be interesting to see how it does up against college football opening weekend and Labor Day. No word yet on the rest of the festival events, but the official press conference is tomorrow.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/kentucky-derb ... bc962.html

kwp302

Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:29 am

kwp302 wrote:
kwp302 wrote:

Looks like Derby will be rescheduled to September 5. It'll be interesting to see how it does up against college football opening weekend and Labor Day. No word yet on the rest of the festival events, but the official press conference is tomorrow.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/kentucky-derb ... bc962.html

Thunder Over Louisville will be August 15. Wonder what the air show lineup will look like?

tnair1974

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:23 pm

Compass Airlines (CP) is permanently shutting down next month.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1443115

CP has (or had) a maintenance hanger on the west side of SDF. Like so so many airline staff and other workers across the globe, wishing the best for CP employees that have been/will be displaced. Also, be safe everyone.

I'm aware that CP is no longer doing DL Connection flights and that drawdown was started long before the COVID-19 pandemic arrived. But is CP still flying for American Eagle out of SDF or was that already switched over to the likes of Republic?

In other news even if by now old news, DL's CDG-CVG is suspended (so is DL CDG-RDU, DL CDG-IND, BA LHR-BNA and almost all other international flights).

kwp302

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:20 am

tnair1974 wrote:

But is CP still flying for American Eagle out of SDF or was that already switched over to the likes of Republic?

Compass didn't account for any of SDF's traffic in 2019 according to the airport's year-end statistics.

slookabill

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:01 am

tnair1974 wrote:

CP has (or had) a maintenance hanger on the west side of SDF. Like so so many airline staff and other workers across the globe, wishing the best for CP employees that have been/will be displaced. Also, be safe everyone.

I'm aware that CP is no longer doing DL Connection flights and that drawdown was started long before the COVID-19 pandemic arrived. But is CP still flying for American Eagle out of SDF or was that already switched over to the likes of Republic?

In other news even if by now old news, DL's CDG-CVG is suspended (so is DL CDG-RDU, DL CDG-IND, BA LHR-BNA and almost all other international flights).

When compass stopped flying for DL, the hangar was transferred? to TSA Airlines, who are still using it for overnight maintenance.

kwp302

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:25 am

kwp302 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:

But is CP still flying for American Eagle out of SDF or was that already switched over to the likes of Republic?

Compass didn't account for any of SDF's traffic in 2019 according to the airport's year-end statistics.

And with TSA going under, those folks have been let go. Word is that GoJet will be coming in so hopefully it will only be a temporary thing.

Bluegrass60

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:50 pm

Louisville airport approves millions in emergency relief for airlines, tenants

Glad SDF is able to provide this relief. As aside was expecting 600,000 enplanements in the April-June timeframe...that would have been a record.

"Dan Mann said he expects air travel to decline until at least June, and he said it could be a “slow rebuild” even if the quarantine and self-distancing measures are relaxed. For instance, Mann said he was estimating 600,000 passenger enplanements from April through June, but he said that number will now likely be well below 100,000 enplanements."

ibthebigd

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:52 pm

I wonder if AA will keep LAX after all this settles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tnair1974

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:53 pm

ibthebigd wrote:

With medical experts expressing some possibility of a secondary COVID-19 outbreak when cooler temperatures arrive this coming fall/winter, who knows when things will finally settle down for good. This said, LAX-SDF loads were above expectations prior to the pandemic. Guesing it and other routes could be dropped for a while or at least run only a few times a week. I suppose so much for the resumption of BOS-SDF for a while. Routes like DL LEX-DCA and DL TYS-MSP have already been/will be temporarily cut.

Does anybody know if the AA LAX-SDF service used any of the revenue guarantee funds during previous low season?

While early stats indicate about eighty percent of those with COVID-19 don't need to be hospitalized (about a 3.4% mortality rate), pilots and flight attendants must be concerned as COVID-19 is roughly twice as contagious as the flu. There's only so much social distancing pilots can do in a confined cockpit. An AA flight attendant has died of COVID-19. :cry:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/br ... -died-from

747fan

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 am

tnair1974 wrote:
ibthebigd wrote:

With medical experts expressing some possibility of a secondary COVID-19 outbreak when cooler temperatures arrive this coming fall/winter, who knows when things will finally settle down for good. This said, LAX-SDF loads were above expectations prior to the pandemic. Guesing it and other routes could be dropped for a while or at least run only a few times a week. I suppose so much for the resumption of BOS-SDF for a while. Routes like DL LEX-DCA and DL TYS-MSP have already been/will be temporarily cut.

Does anybody know if the AA LAX-SDF service used any of the revenue guarantee funds during previous low season?

While early stats indicate about eighty percent of those with COVID-19 don't need to be hospitalized (about a 3.4% mortality rate), pilots and flight attendants must be concerned as COVID-19 is roughly twice as contagious as the flu. There's only so much social distancing pilots can do in a confined cockpit. An AA flight attendant has died of COVID-19. :cry:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/br ... -died-from

A long, relatively thin route like this that essentially overflies AA's biggest hub and takes up a good chunk of a day's flying on an airplane seems exactly like the kind that could be a victim of this. Hope I'm wrong though, and am also curious about the revenue guarantee which could mean the difference between it getting cut or not.
Although its 5X/week rather than daily (I believe it was daily for awhile during this past peak season?), I've also noticed that at least up until now this flight has kept going while other similar routes have recently been trimmed back or cut completely by AA. So hopefully that may be a good sign about its viability.

tnair1974

Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:09 am

Two UPS employees at SDF have now died of COVID-19..... :crying:

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/hea ... c3f3b6bd04

tnair1974

Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:29 am

This was not mentioned in last year's Kentucky thread, but London-Corbin Airport (LOZ) had not one but two visits by Air Force Two in 2019. Both trips were by C-32s which are military 752s. Also note the parked C-17 (first video) which apparently brought in Pence's motorcade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Probably very rare to have such relatively large aircraft at LOZ.

The old Piedmont Airlines served London-Corbin KY until about the late 1970s. During the 70s, PI flew YS-11s and F-27s/FH-227s into LOZ. Anybody know if an occasional 732 was used??

SkyVoice

Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:33 am

tnair1974 wrote:
The old Piedmont Airlines served London-Corbin KY until about the late 1970s. During the 70s, PI flew YS-11s and F-27s/FH-227s into LOZ. Anybody know if an occasional 732 was used??

The London-Corbin Airport, aka Magee Field, was indeed a regular stop for the original Piedmont Airlines (PI, 1948-1989) during the regulated days of air travel. I actually flew into LOZ aboard a Piedmont Airlines FH-227 on March 12, 1973. I flew there from Louisville's Standiford Field (SDF), now Muhammad Ali International Airport. I had visited my grandmother, along with several aunts, uncles & cousins, and I flew to LOZ to visit an aunt, uncle & cousin who lived near Somerset, KY. The flight was a short hop, but I'm very glad that I took it! I've been threatening to write a trip report about that, and now, since we are under corona virus "house arrest", I'll probably go ahead & pull the trigger on that. Look for it in the Trip Reports forum.

There never was much in the way of commercial air traffic at LOZ, and no, Piedmont's Boeing 737-200s never regularly served LOZ. Piedmont flights out of LOZ primarily went to Louisville and to the Tri-Cities Airport (TRI), serving Bristol, VA/TN, Kingsport, TN & Johnson City, TN. But, as you have noted, mainline jets have flown into LOZ with dignitaries, charters & the like. I remember that my Dad drove down there once to see & hear a speech given by a famous politician, possibly Nixon's first Vice President, Spiro Agnew. I wasn't able to go with him, but he told me later that two Boeing 727-100s were used, one for the press, the other for the VIP & his entourage.

After Piedmont pulled out, Air Kentucky (KN) flew their Beech 99s into LOZ for awhile. Tennessee Airways (ZN) served LOZ, too. I'm not familiar with ZN's ops, but judging from your user name, I'm sure that you could add some interesting info about them.

BTW, I wrote some of the History text for the Wikipedia article about the London-Corbin Airport. Thanks for asking about LOZ! . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London-Corbin_Airport

-SkyVoice

atrude777

Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Due to COVID19...United and SkyWest has worked together to combine PAH and CGI once again for through flights.

Beginning May 4th, Monday, PAH will lose the 2 non stop flights to ORD and be routed through CGI.Flights will go back to two non stop in June for now.

PAH-CGI 5:45am-6:19am
CGI-ORD 6:45am-8:27am

PAH-CGI 1:01pm-1:35pm
CGI-ORD 2:05pm-3:40pm

Alex

tnair1974

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:24 am

SkyVoice wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:

The London-Corbin Airport, aka Magee Field, was indeed a regular stop for the original Piedmont Airlines (PI, 1948-1989) during the regulated days of air travel. I actually flew into LOZ aboard a Piedmont Airlines FH-227 on March 12, 1973. I flew there from Louisville's Standiford Field (SDF), now Muhammad Ali International Airport. I had visited my grandmother, along with several aunts, uncles & cousins, and I flew to LOZ to visit an aunt, uncle & cousin who lived near Somerset, KY. The flight was a short hop, but I'm very glad that I took it! I've been threatening to write a trip report about that, and now, since we are under corona virus "house arrest", I'll probably go ahead & pull the trigger on that. Look for it in the Trip Reports forum.

There never was much in the way of commercial air traffic at LOZ, and no, Piedmont's Boeing 737-200s never regularly served LOZ. Piedmont flights out of LOZ primarily went to Louisville and to the Tri-Cities Airport (TRI), serving Bristol, VA/TN, Kingsport, TN & Johnson City, TN. But, as you have noted, mainline jets have flown into LOZ with dignitaries, charters & the like. I remember that my Dad drove down there once to see & hear a speech given by a famous politician, possibly Nixon's first Vice President, Spiro Agnew. I wasn't able to go with him, but he told me later that two Boeing 727-100s were used, one for the press, the other for the VIP & his entourage.

After Piedmont pulled out, Air Kentucky (KN) flew their Beech 99s into LOZ for awhile. Tennessee Airways (ZN) served LOZ, too. I'm not familiar with ZN's ops, but judging from your user name, I'm sure that you could add some interesting info about them.

Thanks for your great info about LOZ. I sure miss the original Piedmont Airlines. :cry2: Anyway, I once accompanied a private pilot uncle of mine into LOZ, but by then there was no longer any airline service. Nice little airport. But in this day and age, LOZ seems a bit too close to LEX and TYS for sustainable passenger service. Similar to how BWG is hindered by being near SDF and BNA.

As a kid, I indeed recall Tennessee Airways operations at TYS which was somewhat of a "hub" as well as ZN's headquarters. As you touched on, ZN had LEX-LOZ-TYS flights. ZN flew LEX-BNA with apparent success for many years but this came to a halt when AA inaugurated its BNA hub which included LEX-BNA Eagle flights; it didn't help that DL started LEX-BNA-DFW service at roughly the same time. Turns out ZN served CVG as well although I don't know for how long (they likely faced stiff competition from Comair and Delta if not others).

ZN apparently did not serve SDF. Perhaps too much competition, as Air Kentucky, AA and others flew SDF-BNA. At various times, TYS-SDF was covered....including by UA flying TYS-SDF which continued to ORD. Likewise, DL operated TYS-SDF which probably originated from ATL.

tnair1974

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:06 am

Southwest will cut DAL-SDF, but bring it back in August. But I wonder if even that August date could be overly optimistic, although wouldn't mind being wrong. IIRC, DAL-SDF load factors were north of 80 percent pre-pandemic.

Turns out a lot of WN destinations from DAL will be temporarily halted including IND, DTW, MKE, PHL, RDU, PDX, SEA among others.

tnair1974

Thu May 07, 2020 10:59 pm

This news is several weeks old, but here's a link announcing FAA financial help for Kentucky airports (commercial and general aviation fields) due to the effects of COVID-19:
https://www.lanereport.com/124462/2020/ ... cares-act/

A sampling:
CVG $42,899,066
SDF $21,078,352
LEX $9,567,339
PAH $1,086,134
OWB $1,080,366

tnair1974

Thu May 07, 2020 11:10 pm

Delta28L wrote:
CVGspottekass wrote:

Unfortunately no big surprise Alaska Airlines CVG-SEA is cut before it can even start, at least for the time being.

SkyVoice

Fri May 08, 2020 3:55 am

tnair1974 wrote:
Delta28L wrote:
CVGspottekass wrote:

Unfortunately no big surprise Alaska Airlines CVG-SEA is cut before it can even start, at least for the time being.

Actually, I'm surprised that they waited this long to make the announcement. Thx for the info, tnair1974!

tnair1974

Thu May 14, 2020 5:51 pm

At least there is a little good news to report....

UPS will start SDF-GYY (Gary, IN) service this coming November.
https://www.insideindianabusiness.com/s ... ry-airport

I don't know if UPS's current service at SBD, ORD, and RFD will change any when GYY comes online. Still, GYY airport will be a new station on the UPS Air network.

Bluegrass60

Fri May 22, 2020 4:03 pm

SDF moves up to 4th busiest cargo airport in the world in 2019. That is up from 7th place in 2018. Also, the dynamic duo of Mann and Gilmer are doing there best to get all the hard earned nonstop destinations back as the economy reopens. Their efforts need the help of the local economy to start flying again! I will do my part as soon as my company lifts its US travel ban.

UPS757Pilot

Fri May 22, 2020 6:51 pm

tnair1974 wrote:

I don't know if UPS's current service at SBD, ORD, and RFD will change any when GYY comes online. Still, GYY airport will be a new station on the UPS Air network.

This is an add-on UPS gateway and no other gateways will be change with the startup of GYY. Seems parking for us at ORD was becoming constrained on the cargo ramp .

kwp302

Thu May 28, 2020 5:41 pm

Southwest plans to launch ATL-SDF on December 17.

Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest ... -schedule/

kwp302

Thu May 28, 2020 6:05 pm

kwp302 wrote:
Southwest plans to launch ATL-SDF on December 17.

Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest ... -schedule/

Looks like it'll be 3x Daily

SDF - ATL
6:20a - 7:50a
1:05p - 2:35p
6:40p - 8:20p

ATL - SDF
9:10a - 10:40a
3:45p - 5:10p
10:35p - 12:05a

https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-sc ... ay=ALL_DAY

ibthebigd

Thu May 28, 2020 9:04 pm

I wish Southwest would have brought back SDF-STL.

I wish Southwest would add CVG-STL as another connection option. I thought for sure they would add CVG-STL before IND-STL.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bluegrass60

Thu May 28, 2020 11:44 pm

Good to see WN resume SDF-ATL after 5-6 yr hiatus

tnair1974

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:54 am

ibthebigd wrote:
I wish Southwest would have brought back SDF-STL.

I wish Southwest would add CVG-STL as another connection option. I thought for sure they would add CVG-STL before IND-STL.

Didn't know Southwest is restarting STL-IND, perhaps a good sign. WN brought back LIT-STL a few years ago. If fuel prices stay low and as long as any second wave of the COVID-19 virus stays relatively tame, hopefully STL-SDF could come back. That is, if WN feels SDF-STL won't siphon too much traffic from other Southwest routes from Louisville like to PHX, DEN, LAS.

Interesting that during the 1990s, both TWA and WN had lots of STL-SDF flights! TW mainly used D93s but also 722s and later MD-80s (WN had 732s/733s). Of course, AA downsized the former TW hub at STL after 9/11. WN dropped both STL-IND and STL-SDF earlier this decade as the high oil prices at the time cut into revenues from shorter flights.

tnair1974

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:07 am

Noticed an Allegiant flight SDF-LAS this evening. IIRC, Allegiant dropped SDF-LAS service last fall(?) leaving WN to the route.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAY ... /KSDF/KLAS

Missed this in the OAG if this service has returned. Is this a seasonal service now?

Bluegrass60

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:12 pm

Just read thru Boyd Aviation Monday Highlights for the past few months. Interesting reading for those who want to read the possible truth about Covid-19: the source, the impact etc.

Also read a business article on CVG and the impact of cargo on its operations. I would suggest that SDF, MEM, CVG particularly are positioned for continued/profitable/sustainable growth of their cargo/package express operations. SDF as example moved to #2 US Cargo and #4 World Cargo rankings for 2019. That trend will continue unabated and helps these airports better survive the impact of Covid-19 on their passenger operations.

Continue to be impressed with Dan Mann and the team he has working at SDF.

tnair1974

Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:10 am

Hopefully it's only a matter of time before AA bring back LAX-SDF, although my hunch is that it might be only when the end of the pandemic is finally in sight (vaccine, herd immunity...) and that could be a long while.

Turns out virtually all AA LAX flights to non-hub destinations are grounded. Other airports that lost AA LAX service are IND, CMH, AUS, SAT, MCI, RDU, OMA, ATL, STL, BNA, BOS, among others. A few of these stations still have LAX service on other airlines (DL out of ATL, B6 out of BOS, WN out of BNA and STL).

tnair1974

Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:50 am

Very unexpectedly, Envoy (AA) now has two DFW-SDF flights but Mesa only has one. Never would have expected this. While I would have thought Envoy would use E170s (like they do DFW-TYS/LEX/CVG/CMH), actually (in another surprise) E135s/E145s are listed to SDF instead.

One of the two Republic (AA) MIA-SDF flights has returned. By August, DL will have two MSP, two DTW and six ATL flights. Have not checked as much with WN (although LAS-SDF due to start back), G4, UA, F9. But all in all, things are slowly trickling back.

kwp302

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:44 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
Very unexpectedly, Envoy (AA) now has two DFW-SDF flights but Mesa only has one. Never would have expected this. While I would have thought Envoy would use E170s (like they do DFW-TYS/LEX/CVG/CMH), actually (in another surprise) E135s/E145s are listed to SDF instead.

DFW-SDF goes to 4x Mesa CRJ9 in July.

kwp302

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:49 pm

Churchill Downs has received approval to have fans in attendance at the Kentucky Derby on Sept 5. An exact amount hasn't been announced yet, but one would assume 50% would be the number since that's what other large events have received approval for in the state. It'll be interesting to see if the airlines add any capacity for that weekend and how much. Obviously, it will be nowhere near a normal Derby weekend.

Right now, the schedules for the Thursday before Derby (the normal big arrivals day) all appear to show the generic frequencies and aircraft.

tnair1974

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:08 pm

UPS757Pilot wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:

This is an add-on UPS gateway and no other gateways will be change with the startup of GYY. Seems parking for us at ORD was becoming constrained on the cargo ramp .

Of course, UPS has lots of gateways around the LA area. LAX, LBG, BUR, SNA, ONT, SBD

Late correction, I obviously meant SBN (South Bend, IN), not SBD (San Bernardino, CA). :banghead:

Well, was only off by about 1800 miles or so.. :duck:
Last edited by tnair1974 on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tnair1974

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Looked up Lexington's Keeneland Race Course which will have their delayed Spring 2020 meet next month....but with no crowds. It appears a decision is still pending regarding how many spectators will be allowed for Keeneland's Fall 2020 meet in October and for the 2020 Breeder's Cup in early November. Keeneland is literally across the highway from LEX where it's common for private/corporate pilots to park their planes next to the highway during bigger Keeneland meets.

Unfortunately, it may be a few years before the likes of LEX, SDF, LOU (Bowman Field), JVY (Clark County, IN) see floods of planes for the Kentucky Derby, Keeneland's Bluegrass Stakes, etc.

At least Kentucky seems to be in a COVID-19 plateau at this time. But if Kentucky and other states spike later, economic recovery could be set back at least somewhat including in aviation. Other states have already seen alarmingly sharp rises in infection rates in the last few weeks; Arizona and Texas are grabbing headlines, but Tennessee and Georgia are also steeply rising.

tnair1974

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:58 pm

A pleasant surprise in that AA is resuming LAX-SDF in September (along with other flights by AA on longer thinner flights from LAX such as RDU, OMA, IND, AUS, etc.). Figured these services would be among the last to come back as in many cases such traffic could be funneled through hubs like ORD and DFW. Hopefully a very good sign.

F9 has finally restarted DEN-SDF. UA will bring back DEN-SDF and IAH-SDF. IIRC, WN will resume DAL-SDF.

AA has restarted PHL-LEX.

Still have to keep in mind that California in general and Los Angeles in particular are growing COVID-19 hot spots at this time and are getting worse. Ditto Texas, Florida, Arizona and a few other states. But hopefully even all this will improve in a few months. But if it doesn't, maybe wouldn't be too surprising if some of the resumption of services are scaled back.

Helps that oil prices have dropped like a rock.

Bluegrass60

Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks for the update!

kcrwflyer

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:01 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
A pleasant surprise in that AA is resuming LAX-SDF in September (along with other flights by AA on longer thinner flights from LAX such as RDU, OMA, IND, AUS, etc.). Figured these services would be among the last to come back as in many cases such traffic could be funneled through hubs like ORD and DFW. Hopefully a very good sign.

F9 has finally restarted DEN-SDF. UA will bring back DEN-SDF and IAH-SDF. IIRC, WN will resume DAL-SDF.

Still have to keep in mind that California in general and Los Angeles in particular are growing COVID-19 hot spots at this time and are getting worse. Ditto Texas, Florida, Arizona and a few other states. But hopefully even all this will improve in a few months. But if it doesn't, maybe wouldn't be too surprising if some of the resumption of services are scaled back.

If I may offer a word of caution...I wouldn't believe any schedule that far out right now, regardless of where it's published.

tnair1974

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:13 am

kcrwflyer wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:

Still have to keep in mind that California in general and Los Angeles in particular are growing COVID-19 hot spots at this time and are getting worse. Ditto Texas, Florida, Arizona and a few other states. Hopefully even all this will improve in a few months. But if it doesn't, maybe wouldn't be too surprising if some of the resumption of services are scaled back.

If I may offer a word of caution...I wouldn't believe any schedule that far out right now, regardless of where it's published.

Only one day after your "right on" comment, DL said their advanced bookings are starting to slow due to the new spikes in COVID-19. So DL is announcing that their overall growth plans will be reduced at least somewhat...

tnair1974

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:10 am

tnair1974 wrote:
kcrwflyer wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:

Still have to keep in mind that California in general and Los Angeles in particular are growing COVID-19 hot spots at this time and are getting worse. Ditto Texas, Florida, Arizona and a few other states. Hopefully even all this will improve in a few months. But if it doesn't, maybe wouldn't be too surprising if some of the resumption of services are scaled back.

Only one day after your "right on" comment, DL said their advanced bookings are starting to slow due to the new spikes in COVID-19. So DL is announcing that their overall growth plans will be reduced at least somewhat...

Neglected to include the link about DL slowing their growth...
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... ty-growth/

DL has also announced the resumption of LGA-SDF, we will see if that holds. At least states like New York, New Jersey and Connecticut are currently having relatively good success in handling COVID-19 unlike other parts of the country.

kwp302

Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:14 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
Neglected to include the link about DL slowing their growth...
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... ty-growth/

DL has also announced the resumption of LGA-SDF, we will see if that holds. At least states like New York, New Jersey and Connecticut are currently having relatively good success in handling COVID-19 unlike other parts of the country.

DL will have a 738 on the ATL-SDF route 1x daily starting this Friday, July 24. The other 3 daily flights will be operated by a mix of CRJ9 and E175

kwp302

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:14 pm

[deleted]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos