Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
tnair1974
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:00 am

Jshank83 wrote:
SDF-LAX is cut permanently.

AA is ending several markets out of LAX. SDF service ceases September 6, apparently to coincide with the (delayed) 2020 Kentucky Derby. Even if it remains fluid on how many spectators will be able to attend Churchill Downs.

If LAX-SDF returns (regardless of carrier), wondering that it may not be until well after the pandemic?

Also, WN's DAL-SDF has not resumed as originally planned. Southwest continues to link from Texas via HOU-SDF.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3613
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:37 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
Also, WN's DAL-SDF has not resumed as originally planned. Southwest continues to link from Texas via HOU-SDF.


The resumption of WN SDF-DAL nonstop service is currently scheduled to happen on 10/8/2020, but that date might get pushed back due to WN still making further schedule cuts.
 
kwp302
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:57 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
SDF-LAX is cut permanently.

AA is ending several markets out of LAX. SDF service ceases September 6, apparently to coincide with the (delayed) 2020 Kentucky Derby.

LAX-SDF won't fly again in the foreseeable future, even for the delayed 2020 Derby. Its not for sale on their website.
 
tnair1974
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:40 am

A lot of inbound SDF traffic this evening is now in holding patterns or diverting as the strong storms that produced near 100mph winds in Iowa and northern Illinois move into the Louisville area. Thankfully, the storms have lost some of their punch as they move south.

Lots of UPS traffic, but one of the passenger flights is a Delta Connection (Endeavor Air) CR9 from MSP...did not know that DL MSP-SDF service had resumed. Also back is United Express (SkyWest) DEN-SDF...it just diverted to BNA.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3613
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:23 pm

kwp302 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
SDF-LAX is cut permanently.

AA is ending several markets out of LAX. SDF service ceases September 6, apparently to coincide with the (delayed) 2020 Kentucky Derby.

LAX-SDF won't fly again in the foreseeable future, even for the delayed 2020 Derby. Its not for sale on their website.


tnair1974 wrote:
If LAX-SDF returns (regardless of carrier), wondering that it may not be until well after the pandemic?


DL adding LAX-SDF nonstop service might be a possibility once demand for domestic air travel returns as DL can operate LAX-SDF nonstop service using an A220-100 that has fewer seats than an A319 or 737-800.
 
tnair1974
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:49 am

kwp302 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
SDF-LAX is cut permanently.

AA is ending several markets out of LAX. SDF service ceases September 6, apparently to coincide with the (delayed) 2020 Kentucky Derby.

LAX-SDF won't fly again in the foreseeable future, even for the delayed 2020 Derby. Its not for sale on their website.

Seems just as well. Churchill Downs just announced there will be no crowds at this year's Derby. Unfortunately, the Louisville area's positivity rate for COVID-19 has climbed above 10% even while Kentucky as a whole has dropped to 4.84%.

Keeneland Race Track will have as originally scheduled its regular fall meet followed by the 2020 Breeder's Cup. Like it was at Churchill Downs, a decision on crowds is pending. Keeneland is literally across the road from LEX; during better times, race fans in their private aircraft parked just across from the main Keeneland entrance.

Well, maybe at least the horse plane charters (like "Air Horse One" operated by Kalitta's 727-200) into SDF and LEX will stay half busy...
 
tnair1974
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:05 am

jplatts wrote:
kwp302 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
AA is ending several markets out of LAX. SDF service ceases September 6, apparently to coincide with the (delayed) 2020 Kentucky Derby.

LAX-SDF won't fly again in the foreseeable future, even for the delayed 2020 Derby. Its not for sale on their website.


tnair1974 wrote:
If LAX-SDF returns (regardless of carrier), wondering that it may not be until well after the pandemic?


DL adding LAX-SDF nonstop service might be a possibility once demand for domestic air travel returns as DL can operate LAX-SDF nonstop service using an A220-100 that has fewer seats than an A319 or 737-800.

Over the last few decades, the Louisville area has generally favored DL over AA as it is. Otherwise, perhaps the likes of Allegiant might try LAX service even if less than weekly, especially if leisure traveling continues to recover faster than business travel.

Interestingly, at airports like CMH and IND, those areas have had more of an AA preference over DL.
 
tnair1974
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:31 pm

We'll take every bit of good news we can get.

AA will inaugurate Saturday-only MIA-LEX service this November (via Envoy E145s). Has AA or anybody else ever had MIA-LEX flights? Anyway, Allegiant already flies FLL-LEX. As a side note, AA has restarted both MIA-SDF and MIA-CVG (via Republic E170s at SDF and Envoy E145s at CVG).

AA will also bring back PHX-CVG using A319s four times weekly.

On the negative side, AA/Piedmont (obviously the current Piedmont not the original) will pull out of HTS completely in October, dropping CLT-HTS. HTS will still have Allegiant as well as FedEx 757 cargo service. Otherwise, customers in and near Huntington WV will have to drive to the likes of CRW, LEX, CVG, CMH...
 
ibthebigd
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:34 pm

I would be happy with a LEX-DEN flight

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
kwp302
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:35 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
We'll take every bit of good news we can get.

AA will inaugurate Saturday-only MIA-LEX service this November (via Envoy E145s). Has AA or anybody else ever had MIA-LEX flights? Anyway, Allegiant already flies FLL-LEX. As a side note, AA has restarted both MIA-SDF and MIA-CVG (via Republic E170s at SDF and Envoy E145s at CVG).

AA will also bring back PHX-CVG using A319s four times weekly.

On the negative side, AA/Piedmont (obviously the current Piedmont not the original) will pull out of HTS completely in October, dropping CLT-HTS. HTS will still have Allegiant as well as FedEx 757 cargo service. Otherwise, customers in and near Huntington WV will have to drive to the likes of CRW, LEX, CVG, CMH...

Another decent bit of good news is that SDF-DEN on UA now has Skywest E170s. Definitely an upgrade over the E145s (TSA?) that flew the route previously.
 
atrude777
Posts: 4406
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:23 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:59 pm

https://www.kfvs12.com/2020/09/01/m-awa ... t-paducah/

Barkley Regional Airport in Paducah, Kentucky was awarded 16 Million to build their new terminal.

Hoping to break ground Fall of 2020!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:33 pm

Congrats to Paducah! Maybe commuter flight to SDF in the future? Future airframes might allow that to happen with correct economics
 
tnair1974
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:35 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Congrats to Paducah! Maybe commuter flight to SDF in the future? Future airframes might allow that to happen with correct economics

Is the proposed new PAH terminal still expected to cost 36 million when it breaks ground, or has that been revised? IIRC, there will be a single jetway.

I think Air Kentucky and their unpressurised Beech 99 turboprops operated the previous PAH-SDF flights, and that was back in the 1970s and maybe early 80s. I want to say Air Kentucky also had PAH-BNA service(?) at least briefly before AA opened their BNA hub and started PAH-BNA American Eagle flights.

Both Delta and Ozark served PAH and SDF during the 70s although not sure if there were any nonstop PAH-SDF flights by these two carriers. BTW, Ozark also served OWB and CKV (Clarksville TN).
 
tnair1974
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:58 am

ibthebigd wrote:
I would be happy with a LEX-DEN flight

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Even with stiff competition from CVG and SDF offering lots of DEN flights, still somewhat surprising United Express has not tried LEX-DEN. Maybe even Allegiant doing seasonal LEX-DEN flights a few times a week.

For those new to the Kentucky thread, there were interesting posts about this subject during the fall of 2019...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1413207&start=100#p21732115
 
kwp302
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:50 am

Interesting morning at SDF...the tower had to be evacuated apparently due to smoke fumes so ground was uncontrolled with Departure providing release clearances once aircraft reached the runway. Everything else on CTAF.
 
tnair1974
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:40 am

tnair1974 wrote:
kwp302 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
AA is ending several markets out of LAX. SDF service ceases September 6, apparently to coincide with the (delayed) 2020 Kentucky Derby.

LAX-SDF won't fly again in the foreseeable future, even for the delayed 2020 Derby. Its not for sale on their website.

Seems just as well. Churchill Downs just announced there will be no crowds at this year's Derby. Unfortunately, the Louisville area's positivity rate for COVID-19 has climbed above 10% even while Kentucky as a whole has dropped to 4.84%.

Keeneland Race Track will have as originally scheduled its regular fall meet followed by the 2020 Breeder's Cup. Like it was at Churchill Downs, a decision on crowds is pending. Keeneland is literally across the road from LEX; during better times, race fans in their private aircraft parked just across from the main Keeneland entrance.

Well, maybe at least the horse plane charters (like "Air Horse One" operated by Kalitta's 727-200) into SDF and LEX will stay half busy...

It's been announced that the 2020 Breeders' Cup will also have no spectators. This seems an early decision, as the Breeders' Cup is not until early November. This is despite there being no announcements yet on keeneland.com about attendance for Keeneland's regular fall 2020 meet this October.

But turns out Lexington just recorded its two largest single day increases in COVID-19 cases...and these were back to back days.

Some good news for Lexington (and the resulting traffic that would use LEX) is that the Breeders' Cup will return to Keeneland in 2022. This will be Keeneland's third time to host the Cup; Churchill Downs has been host nine times.

Just maybe things will be closer to normal by 2022...
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:22 am

tnair1974 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
Congrats to Paducah! Maybe commuter flight to SDF in the future? Future airframes might allow that to happen with correct economics

Is the proposed new PAH terminal still expected to cost 36 million when it breaks ground, or has that been revised? IIRC, there will be a single jetway.

I think Air Kentucky and their unpressurised Beech 99 turboprops operated the previous PAH-SDF flights, and that was back in the 1970s and maybe early 80s. I want to say Air Kentucky also had PAH-BNA service(?) at least briefly before AA opened their BNA hub and started PAH-BNA American Eagle flights.

Both Delta and Ozark served PAH and SDF during the 70s although not sure if there were any nonstop PAH-SDF flights by these two carriers. BTW, Ozark also served OWB and CKV (Clarksville TN).


"You are correct about Air Ky. It flew Nonstop from SDF to OWB and PAH. PI once flew SDF to LOC (London Corbin) and HTS. EA once flew SDF-BOG (Bowling Green) and EVV and BNA. AA, DL, TW, PI, US all flew SDF-CVG at some point. DL, EA, TW and US all flew SDF-IND at some point. DL, EA and PI all flew SDF-LEX. With the right economics and quick security/parking and inexpensive transport upon arrival (lots of ifs)....could see SDF-BNA return; maybe PAH-SDF. Any others would have to be driven by connections available via SDF (or other "hubs"). Never say never....but prob never."
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5679
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:40 pm

tnair1974 wrote:

BTW, Ozark also served OWB and CKV (Clarksville TN).


http://www.departedflights.com/OZ042571p20.html

1971 OZ had two flights daily (exSa) PAH-OWB-SDF, 3 daily (exSa/Su).

http://www.departedflights.com/OZ090176p14.html

1976 the OWB stops were eliminated (OWB gone from OZ route map)1 daily PAH-EVV, 1 Daily PAH-CKV-SDF, same on the return
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio
 
ThaneC
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:12 am

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:25 pm

Papa Johns Pizza is moving it’s global headquarters from Louisville to Atlanta. One of the reasons cited for the move is the lack of nonstop passenger flights from SDF.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/m ... 811435002/
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:46 pm

The headline should read "PJ establishes new global HQ in Atlanta." IMO the #1 reason is: CEO lives in Atlanta. ATL has the best domestic air service in the USA and among the best int'l air service in the US. SDF will never have that level of air service....same can be said of every major city in the US that does not have a legacy hub. Any reasons cited to establish the 200 employee global HQ in Atlanta (Air service...int'l primarily; Deeper and more divers talent pool...ATL 6M population beats SDF 1.5M population) are the reasons the CEO could rely on to maintain his residence in Atlanta. Louisville maintains @750 HQ jobs. Any city that does not have similar international service could see similar moves...especially if the CEO lives in Atlanta. On the bright...it likely means more SDF-ATL traffic to support DL 9 nonstops and soon to be launched WN 3 nonstops.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], CDGIAD, DABYT, Desertshamrock7, dstc47, eurotrader85, fernousdu972, Nicoeddf, Oykie, palauanguy86, qf789, socalatc, tomcat and 314 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos