Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

codc10

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:31 am

Maybe try using imgur or another hosting site? Google didn’t work last time (not sure if that’s what you tried this time). Thanks again for all of the helpful insight!

jayunited

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:18 am

VC10er wrote:
Corporate contracts make a lot of sense. It’s been discussed openly about United becoming the sky warrior’s airline of choice. Global Services was actually, originally created for big global companies so should that company award UA airline of choice the most senior exclusives would get this higher level of service over and above 1k (and it was also a great carrot to waive in front of someone like me to fly United metal and avoid United flights operated by XX, because UA would then get all the revenue. I remember a time when I had to go to Geneva often, all my colleagues would fly nonstop on Swiss, I’d fly UA to FRA and then catch an LH 737 to GVA. I didn’t really appreciate GS until the first time I had a bad IRROPS at GRU, and UA put me on AA in First Class - drove me across the apron from one concourse to another in a ground buggy to get me to the AA 767 before AA closed the door. What a life saver that was.

Don't take this the wrong way because as a UA employee I do appreciate your business and I also appreciate the feedback you give on this site. Your post caught my attention when you stated you really didn't appreciate GS until you had a bad IRROPS at GRU.

I think a lot of GS passengers don't fully appreciate being a GS passengers and that is by design. A lot of work behind the scenes goes into making travel seamless and as hassle free as possible for GS passengers. UA has agents devoted to just GS passengers and it is their job to solve problems before the passenger even knows a problem exists. These agents are working your reservation from start to finish before the passenger ever shows up at the airport. In some cases regular everyday passengers get screwed over in favor of a GS passengers. Most people only see the Mercedes Benz waiting on the tarmac and the breeze through airport security but its so much more than that.

Even today UA at IAH brought a plane back to the gate just for one GS passenger who was on a a late inbound connecting flight. The inbound connecting flight was able to make up some time in the air but was still showing as landing (not at the gate simply landing) 26 minutes after the the connection was scheduled to leave. The original decision was to go on-time but do to congestion the flight was still sitting on the ground when the inbound flight with the GS passengers landed. Instead of letting the connecting flight takeoff they brought the plane back to the gate for one GS passenger who I'm sure had no idea the disservice every other passenger on their flight just endured. But at the same time I'm sure that one GS passenger was happy UA "waited for them" (even though it was a return to the gate). This is just one example but things like this happen all the time decisions like these are made all the time behind the scenes for our GS passengers.

I completely understand why UA makes these decisions but there are times when I wonder if our GS passengers really understand the real benefits of being a GS passenger and how it impacts not only them but other passengers as well.

GmoneyCO

Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:59 am

319:
N874UA - Former China Southern B-6021, delivered to XMN on 11-Jan/2713

SFOtoORD

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:17 am

jayunited wrote:
I completely understand why UA makes these decisions but there are times when I wonder if our GS passengers really understand the real benefits of being a GS passenger and how it impacts not only them but other passengers as well.

It’s a reasonable point to make, but it’s not the GS passengers job to understand. They’re high value fliers who should just expect the high level of service and thus keep returning to United.

airboss787

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:33 am

unitedewr737 wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

Unfortunately the images you posted aren't working, so I'm removing them. I think it's an issue with the image host? This happened a couple of weeks ago as well, but your second attempt worked that time.

That’s weird I was able to see them.

I couldn’t see them either. Maybe it could be a browser issue as well.
Star Alliance Gold

Papiexpress737

What is going on with United at IAH? Why no growth?

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:25 am

I haven't seen a new route at IAH since the SYD flight? Did UA forget about there IAH HUB?

calpsafltskeds

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:30 pm

319:
N814UA has been in SFO a few days, sked to exit 365/12Jan, so far not showing 12F - SFO was doing a back to back 12F mod line until the holidays
N818UA in IAH 1459/9Jan, potential 12F unit

764:
N67058 entered HKG maint 2777/27Dec, don't know if this was posted

788:
N26909 entered XMN 2722/10Jan, looks like a second Polaris/PP mod unit

SFOtoORD

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:46 pm

VC10er wrote:
Last, I don’t know how long you’ve been with UA, but do you recall “Pillow Man?” - a passenger who was quite well known at UA. He requested that each time he flies he required about 15 pillows at his First Class seat. And he got them! I’ve sat next to him twice, and have witnessed first hand what he does with 15 pillows!

I’d like to hear more about that. One of the great mysteries of the United universe. Hahaha.

30west

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:30 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Last, I don’t know how long you’ve been with UA, but do you recall “Pillow Man?” - a passenger who was quite well known at UA. He requested that each time he flies he required about 15 pillows at his First Class seat. And he got them! I’ve sat next to him twice, and have witnessed first hand what he does with 15 pillows!

I’d like to hear more about that. One of the great mysteries of the United universe. Hahaha.

I remember flying him out of GRU I thought it was more than 15 pillows though, he was very kind to the crew.

codc10

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:54 pm

Is Mr. Pillows still flying? Haven’t heard about him lately... a UAL legend!!

VC10er

Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:14 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
VC10er wrote:

OK, HERE GOES (IT DOES RANK HIGH UP ON THE CRAZY PASSENGER STORIES LIST!!!) while I haven’t seen him in close to 20 years, I did happen to sit in the same row as him twice. Both times it was pre-lie flat seat era on a 767 from GRU in First Class. Maybe still Saul Bass, or just as Battleship was new.

At that time the seat was a very comfortable recliner that had the same back as business, but First had electrical controls, the back reclined about the same as business (but not all the way flat, although I suspected they could’ve gone flat. But UA always had the deepest recline anyway) but the leg rest in First did go straight out. “I think” in First Class it was 2-1-2. “Pillow Man” always took the front center single seat in front of the center bulkhead.

YES, it was actually way more than 15 pillows (it was closer to 20 or 25 or 30 pillows, but I thought people here would think I was exaggerating, so I kept it conservative at 15!!!) but I speak the truth...it was way more!

After everyone was boarded, a United rep at GRU would enter the 767 with an ENORMOUS clear plastic bag. When I say “ENORMOUS” it was about 5ft in diameter, filled with white pillows, and you could only see the legs of the representative at the bottom of the enormous white plastic cloud of white pillows. (They would store that enormous white bag somewhere until after reaching cruise, and then bring the bag out to give to “Pillow Man”.

“Pillow Man” was a rather thin (maybe 5/9”) Asian man. I assumed he was Brazilian-Japanese, and he’d fly UA988 to JFK to get the 747 to Tokyo. (I cannot recall if I presumed that or if I was told)

He would recline his seat fully, leg rest straight out and proceed to cover the ENTIRE seat with so many pillows you could no longer see the grey upholstery of the seat. He would nestle his small framed body in the middle of all the many pillows as if his bones were glass, and the flight attendants would lovingly put the blankets over him.

I WAS JUST BURSTING WITH CURIOSITY!!!!! So I went into the front galley of First and said “WTF is up with that???” I was very friendly with the purser “Octavia Jacome” - I loved her and I miss her!

I was told her and another FA that he is affectionately called “Pillow Man” and whenever he booked a flight out of GRU they ALL knew exactly what was needed the evening of his flight. In fact HQ had extra pillows flown to GRU just for him. He NEVER ate, he would only sleep.

True/Untrue?: The FA’s said “Pillow Man” had taken advantage of a program United had a number of years earlier where for the sum of $1 Million Dollars you could buy “unlimited lifetime First Class travel, YES, FOR LIFE! And that “Pillow Man” was one of the few that paid that $1 Million. Can anyone verify if United ever had such a program? The flight attendants said that that program didn’t last long because too many people bought it, and that over the course of a persons life, had they purchased FIRST every time these folks flew (which was VERY OFTEN) in the long run $1 Million wasn’t enough. Plus after the initial X amount of people who bought F travel for life, it was only good for UA’s books year that fiscal year, but after that each year they were flying many people, MANY-MANY times in First Class essentially for free.

When UA cancelled 987/988 from JFK/GRU/GIG - I felt really bad for “Pillow Man” - and 20 years later, I still hope to see him again!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

intotheair

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:15 am

I've heard plenty of stories about Mr. Pillows. I've never run into him, but I do remember there was a thread on FT with some pictures a few years ago.

VC10er wrote:
True/Untrue?: The FA’s said “Pillow Man” had taken advantage of a program United had a number of years earlier where for the sum of $1 Million Dollars you could buy “unlimited lifetime First Class travel, YES, FOR LIFE! And that “Pillow Man” was one of the few that paid that $1 Million. Can anyone verify if United ever had such a program? The flight attendants said that that program didn’t last long because too many people bought it, and that over the course of a persons life, had they purchased FIRST every time these folks flew (which was VERY OFTEN) in the long run $1 Million wasn’t enough. Plus after the initial X amount of people who bought F travel for life, it was only good for UA’s books year that fiscal year, but after that each year they were flying many people, MANY-MANY times in First Class essentially for free.

I don't think that's correct. AA did have such a program, called AAirpass. It first sold in 1981 for $250,000 for lifetime first class. At least two customers had their AAirpasses revoked for "abusing" them and were costing AA $1 million a year each. I don't think UA ever had such a program, though I do know CO sold lifetime Presidents Club passes at one time, and they are still valid at the UA Clubs.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

CALTECH

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:41 am

adamblang wrote:
unitedewr737 wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
Unfortunately the images you posted aren't working, so I'm removing them. I think it's an issue with the image host? This happened a couple of weeks ago as well, but your second attempt worked that time.

That’s weird I was able to see them.

Some hosts prevent hot-linking from forum sites but don't detect the hot link until they've been viewed a few times.

Yup, same issue as last time. Google Photos, pffftttt.......

Try it again, with horrid quality.......

You are here.

CALTECH

Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:06 am

cosyr wrote:
Interesting Paul's Trip Report yesterday on UA 752 to Hawaii. It did not go well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHsSUW2eJj8

Is it normal procedure to let someone occupy an inoperable seat? When I flew EVA TPE-YYZ last year, I was initially annoyed to learn that they had moved my assigned seat back a row, away from my wife, but when I got on the plane, I learned it was because the recline was not working. Maybe UA would block Polaris seats for long haul, but it seems like they should have alerted Paul for this shorter flight, and at least made him aware of the situation to make a choice. Does anyone know what UA's general policy is, or if they have one?

They should have given him one of the other seats before they upgraded other passengers, unless it was a last minute deferral. But still, a seat can be useable in certain deferrals. Usually non-recliners get a upgrade from the back or a non-rev. I'll take a look at the particulars. Usually let Ops and CS know what is going on with the seat. Lots of times, passengers will still pick a non-reclining seat upfront rather than a seat that reclines in the back. Could be he fell through the cracks.....

airplanedriver6 wrote:
cosyr wrote:
Is it normal procedure to let someone occupy an inoperable seat?

Yes and no. It all depends on the specifics of the failure and the aircraft MEL. Once the legalities are considered, then it's a passenger service issue.

In this example, it would have been a different outcome had the seat been stuck in the reclined position.

Seat stuck in reclined position would have been locked upright and left" Unoccupied ." In the back on that type aircraft with a seat stuck in recline, seats would be blocked behind the offending seat, sometimes the entire row on that side. They try to use all seats up front. MX get lots of requests to fix seats. Not enough time or parts is the usual culprit.
You are here.

CALTECH

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Acft 107, seat 4F was deferred for recline issue. Deferred 13Oct, cleared 15Oct. Recline cable culprit. Seat was usable locked upright. CS and FA should have been advised of seat problem and communicated that to the affected passenger, dont know what happened. Could be the other seats were aisle seats and were declined. Seen that a lot, I'll take a non reclining window over a aisle seat.......
You are here.

VC10er

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:46 pm

CALTECH wrote:
cosyr wrote:
Interesting Paul's Trip Report yesterday on UA 752 to Hawaii. It did not go well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHsSUW2eJj8

Is it normal procedure to let someone occupy an inoperable seat? When I flew EVA TPE-YYZ last year, I was initially annoyed to learn that they had moved my assigned seat back a row, away from my wife, but when I got on the plane, I learned it was because the recline was not working. Maybe UA would block Polaris seats for long haul, but it seems like they should have alerted Paul for this shorter flight, and at least made him aware of the situation to make a choice. Does anyone know what UA's general policy is, or if they have one?

They should have given him one of the other seats before they upgraded other passengers, unless it was a last minute deferral. But still, a seat can be useable in certain deferrals. Usually non-recliners get a upgrade from the back or a non-rev. I'll take a look at the particulars. Usually let Ops and CS know what is going on with the seat. Lots of times, passengers will still pick a non-reclining seat upfront rather than a seat that reclines in the back. Could be he fell through the cracks.....

airplanedriver6 wrote:
cosyr wrote:
Is it normal procedure to let someone occupy an inoperable seat?

Yes and no. It all depends on the specifics of the failure and the aircraft MEL. Once the legalities are considered, then it's a passenger service issue.

In this example, it would have been a different outcome had the seat been stuck in the reclined position.

Seat stuck in reclined position would have been locked upright and left" Unoccupied ." In the back on that type aircraft with a seat stuck in recline, seats would be blocked behind the offending seat, sometimes the entire row on that side. They try to use all seats up front. MX get lots of requests to fix seats. Not enough time or parts is the usual culprit.

I’m unsure of the year, early 2000’s I’d think: I was fly CDG to JFK on an Air France 744. I was flying with a work colleague in business class which had fully lie-flat seats (2) at the window. After take off I started to touch my recline button and raise my leg rest. The seat did “nothing” (my seat mate was already in repose and started her movie). But all I had was a “flight map” - no IFE either!
I called the FA and showed her that my seat was in operable with no IFE working. She ran off to get others. They tried many things, even rebooting all of business class. Nothing!
I asked “are there any other seats, even in First? I “I’m sorry Sir the whole flight was 100% full even in economy” I told the head FA (Purser) that I had only bought a 1 way ticket late the evening before and it was “almost” $8000 one way. Nothing could be done, every seat on board had a “derrière” in it. So for 7+ hours I had to fly in take-of/landing upright position, no IFE.

It was clear that the Purser was remorseful and apologized, I said “Do not worry, I do not blame you! But this is now just a fancy economy seat on an RJ. The food doesn’t really matter to me as I was only in Paris 2 days for business, out late for client dinners and I was terribly jet lagged and was finally looking forward to sleeping all the way home- I paid very close to $8000 USD, what can be done?” (As my seat mate Julia lay in repose like a Baroque painting of a woman- Except clothed and much thinner, and “almost laughing” as she was a Brit!)

The Purser returned with another FA moments later with an envelope and said “please accept this as a sincere apology from Air France” - it was a hand signed card with a €100 certificate off my NEXT Air France flight!!! ONLY ONE HUNDRED EUROS ON A 7+ HOUR FLIGHT THAT COST $7890ish DOLLARS ‘ONE WAY’ CIRCA 2003 or 2005?!?”

Upon returning to NYC I wasted no time writing a letter on Landor letterhead, (not bragging) with “Executive Director” in my title. The letter I wrote was professional and not “nasty” in tone AT ALL, but stated I believed my compensation should have better reflected my very uncomfortable flight should take into consideration that A) the PRIMARY benefit for Business Class was comfort in a fully lie flat seat, and B) the fact my last minute ticket was nearly $8000 USD one way”

I got a real paper AF letterhead reply with an apology, that it was indeed a failure on their part and totally against AF’s goal of unrivaled superiority” but that the €100 certificate off future AF flights was deemed to be reasonable compensation for the inconvenience.

I wrote back stating my astonishment at their HQ response and I gave them back my €100 certificate and asked them to apply the €100 towards an economy flier‘s fare.

Perhaps it’s just me, but have fares in general gone up a lot lately??? Last night it was almost impossible to buy a RT UA ticket in First Class , EWR/LAS for the last week in February for any less than $1200, 2 or 3 flights were over $2200 on a 739 or A320? Yet about the end of February EWR/FRA in Polaris on a 78J was only $4000 to $5000. LH on a 748i was only $3000 RT?

GmoneyCO

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:54 pm

752:
N502UA - Confirmed with ViaSat KA wifi. Installed during mod in SAT, excited on 9-Jan. This aircraft is the oldest PW 752 (1989), looks to be staying in the fleet longer than I would have thought.

I imagine that for any PW 752s staying in the fleet for the foreseeable future, they will get the ViaSat KA wifi mod when they go in for their next significant maintenance.

772:
The ADS-B tags from the three 772 non-ER aircraft can likely be removed now since the entire fleet has the system now with the 1-Jan 2020 requirement

77W:
N2251U - Has been rolled out onto the flight line. Currently in pre-flight prep

CALTECH

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:00 pm

Event - Hail storm in GYR, nickel sized.

Showing a Aircraft # 4915 parked in GYR. Looks to be under evaluation for feasibility of obtaining a FAA AW Certificate. I don't remember seeing that fleet number before. Looks like there is a movement to obtain a FAA AW Certificate for this aircraft. Lots of stuff about ferry flight, into or out of GYR not sure about. Might be another Vueling aircraft.

#2510 Like already posted, B777-222 New Livery Prototype Full Paint Fuselage and Wings AMA
# 0220 Full Paint Fuselage and Wings AMA
# 4286 Full Paint Fuselage and Wings AMA

# 4713 showing like it was to be parted out, but is flying in the system. UAL bird.

# 4866, 4867, 4868, 4869, 4870, 4874, need conformity checks to be brought into revenue service.
# 4871 is in revenue service.
# 4872, 4873 not showing in MX logs yet.
# 4874 is in ICN Going to XMN 1/11
# 4875 is in MX.
# 4876, 4877, 4878 in revenue service.
# 4879 Full Paint ? ETR 1/18 LCQ
# 4880, 4882, 4883, 4884 Storage or some work being performed, 4883 ferry flight NRT- ANC planned ?
# 4881 China Southern Conversion in work
# 4888 - 4899 in revenue service.
# 4911 not FAA approved.
# 4912, 4913 not in system yet.
# 4915 is in MX system ELB.
# 4914 ?

# 0007 Polaris ETR 2/23 HKG
# 0008 Polaris ETR 2/24 HKG

# 0058 MX Visit ETR 2/05 HKG

# 2134 MX Visit ETR 2/02 HKG
# 2822 Hi Density Cabin Mod STC ETR 2/06 HKG

# 6669 HI-J ETR 2/07 HKG
# 6676 Polaris Hi-J ETR 2/13 HKG

# 6454 Full Paint Fuselage and Wings ETR 1/19 LCQ

# 0906 Polaris ETR 2/26 XMN
# 0909 Polaris ETR 2/28 XMN
# 0968 Polaris STC ETR 2/20 XMN

# 2135 MX Visit XMN
# 2888 MX Visit XMN
# 2897 Polaris ETR 3/08 XMN
You are here.

airlineaddict

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:09 pm

CALTECH wrote:

Thanks CALTECH. Isn’t GYR where the MAXes are being stored?

VC10er

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:33 pm

This is probably a silly question with an obvious answer but I’m going to go for it!

Having flown the High-J 763 twice now, IMHO, that High-J configuration is not “only” about having a very high Polaris seat count. The overall “feel” of the atmosphere aboard that 763 is VERY PREMIUM as you walk from front to back. Yes, the Polaris cabin is remarkably long, but then comes PE and an Economy cabin that is clearly smaller that usual for a twin aisle and mostly E+. Even though I knew how old she was, the 100% refurbishment really makes her look brand spanking new AND a very premium aura.

Why only the 763? Would a High-J 772 or 789 work for high premium demand destinations in AsiaPac? A return to ME3 territory? Larger Polaris, Larger PE, smaller Economy Class but Larger E+?

I do miss the highly designed Polaris bulkheads! It went a long way to fully brand both United and Polaris, and felt more “5 Star” for a 4 Star airline.

CALTECH

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:32 pm

airlineaddict wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

Thanks CALTECH. Isn’t GYR where the MAXes are being stored?

Yes.....

https://www.accuweather.com/en/severe-w ... now/632408

http://www.interactivehailmaps.com/loca ... odyear-az/

You are here.

notconcerned

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:05 am

VC10er wrote:
Why only the 763? Would a High-J 772 or 789 work for high premium demand destinations in AsiaPac? A return to ME3 territory? Larger Polaris, Larger PE, smaller Economy Class but Larger E+?

There's likely not enough constant high J demand in other markets besides LHR/ZRH/GVA. For TYO, UA already has JV with NH which provides even higher J 77W. Other markets are probably too seasonal (SYD) or don't generate strong enough yields (ICN/TPE/HKG for now). Only other market that might work is SIN and creating a subfleet of high-J 789 might not be worth the effort.

Also note that UA can always increase flights or upgauge from existing hubs if they want to add J capacity. We see this with now 2nd daily SFO-PVG or EWR-GRU getting 77W or EWR-TLV getting 2x 77W.

jayunited

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:30 am

VC10er wrote:

Outside of the select 763s with High-J the only other aircraft type in our fleet that I think it would work on is a 789. Having said that the problem with doing a High-J sub-fleet on the 789 are the limited the destinations where UA could deploy a 789 in that configuration, it isn't the same as the destinations UA is deploying and will deploy the High-J 763s.

Looking at where UA deploys their 789s the only destination that I see where a High-J 789 would work on a year round basis is SIN. Destinations like PVG, SYD, ICN, NRT, MUC, and routes like LAX-LHR UA needs the 252 seat soon to be 257 seat 789s. There are simply more 789 destinations where UA needs a standard configured 789 than there are destinations where UA could benefit from a High-J 789.

calpsafltskeds

Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:28 am

319:
N814UA confirmed with 12F seat map afdter departure today from SFO
N854UA exited DLH 2689/12Jan in 12F configuration

GmoneyCO

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:08 am

CALTECH wrote:
# 4915 is in MX system ELB.
# 4914 ?

Is there any other information associated with 4915 in the system. Serial number?

calpsafltskeds

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:25 pm

There are several Ex Vueling 320s that could be 4915 and were on lease from AeroCap.

United EvoBlu paint program in full swing:
319 N848UA entered AMA 2760/13Jan, paint
739 N66837 entered AMA 2732/12Jan, paint (currently has Special Olympics decals)
Now 5 UA aircraft in AMA paint

Cmac787

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:55 pm

First 739 to get new livery?

calpsafltskeds wrote:
There are several Ex Vueling 320s that could be 4915 and were on lease from AeroCap.

739 N66837 entered AMA 2732/12Jan, paint (currently has Special Olympics decals)

LGeneReese

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 pm

Cmac787 wrote:
First 739 to get new livery?

calpsafltskeds wrote:

And don’t forget the two, N654UA & N879UA, at LCQ also in paint. :bouncy:
Also
N29975 B1 BOE350 CHSCHS 13Jan (UAs 26th 789)

N12012 should roll out of CHS FAL any day now as well.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:01 pm

The fleet changes, fleet status, and repaint status posts at the start of this thread have been updated.

✈️ atcsundevil

UAinAUS

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:41 pm

UAX Update:

CR2:
N877AS (2001 build) entered service with Skywest for UAX. Old Globe livery

CR5:
N554GJ entered revenue service with GoJet
N533GJ entered revenue service with GoJet
N174GJ exited AMA in new livery, at STL awaiting mod
N616QX ferried STL awaiting mod, will be future N511GJ, in AA livery

VC10er

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:23 am

jayunited wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Outside of the select 763s with High-J the only other aircraft type in our fleet that I think it would work on is a 789. Having said that the problem with doing a High-J sub-fleet on the 789 are the limited the destinations where UA could deploy a 789 in that configuration, it isn't the same as the destinations UA is deploying and will deploy the High-J 763s.

Looking at where UA deploys their 789s the only destination that I see where a High-J 789 would work on a year round basis is SIN. Destinations like PVG, SYD, ICN, NRT, MUC, and routes like LAX-LHR UA needs the 252 seat soon to be 257 seat 789s. There are simply more 789 destinations where UA needs a standard configured 789 than there are destinations where UA could benefit from a High-J 789.

That makes perfect sense!

But another thought I had was: just guessing here, that in 5 or 6 years those High-J 763’s will really start to come to their end. With 6 flights a day, that’s 288 Polaris seats to LHR everyday. Assuming traffic keeps growing, and the economy doesn’t tank, and United is successful in its make over, what would be the best replacement for these beautiful inside but old 763’s? Perhaps the 78J if there is no NMA, and in 5-6 years United could fill more than 288 Polaris seats a day, would a High-J 78J work about 6 years from now? Frankly I think adding another morning flight “could” work, say a 7:30am departure?

I know this ship has sailed: but isn’t the UA PE seat the same exact seat on DL? (and AA?) I wish vs just matching everyone, I cannot help but think about a better PE seat ala: UA’s 1990’s recliner, like the leather version on the very first ps 757’s. (which I cannot even find a picture of- and I was told those grey cloth recliners were designed exclusively for UA?) They were FAR more comfortable for a long haul. But still far from Polaris flat!

I can’t help but wonder if UA can get another 100+ Polaris seats (388+) from EWR/LHR when those 763’s “must” be retired!

xxcr

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:56 am

VC10er wrote:
jayunited wrote:
VC10er wrote:

But another thought I had was: just guessing here, that in 5 or 6 years those High-J 763’s will really start to come to their end. With 6 flights a day, that’s 288 Polaris seats to LHR everyday. Assuming traffic keeps growing, and the economy doesn’t tank, and United is successful in its make over, what would be the best replacement for these beautiful inside but old 763’s? Perhaps the 78J if there is no NMA, and in 5-6 years United could fill more than 288 Polaris seats a day, would a High-J 78J work about 6 years from now? Frankly I think adding another morning flight “could” work, say a 7:30am departure?

I know this ship has sailed: but isn’t the UA PE seat the same exact seat on DL? (and AA?) I wish vs just matching everyone, I cannot help but think about a better PE seat ala: UA’s 1990’s recliner, like the leather version on the very first ps 757’s. (which I cannot even find a picture of- and I was told those grey cloth recliners were designed exclusively for UA?) They were FAR more comfortable for a long haul. But still far from Polaris flat!

I can’t help but wonder if UA can get another 100+ Polaris seats (388+) from EWR/LHR when those 763’s “must” be retired!

Oh man, i miss those cloth recliners that UA used for their business class prior to introducing a full flatbed seat.

it's also amazing that UA is able to sell that many J seats from EWR-LHR.

SFOtoORD

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:55 am

UAinAUS wrote:
UAX Update:

CR2:

It’s like there is a dumpster where they keep finding these old CRJs. They are so awful.

RyanairGuru

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:55 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
UAinAUS wrote:
UAX Update:

CR2:

It’s like there is a dumpster where they keep finding these old CRJs. They are so awful.

This is one more of a certificate swap than pulling a plane out of the desert as it was only stored temporarily. It was flying for UAX/ExpressJet until mid-2019 and has been transferred to UAX/SkyWest.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

intotheair

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:38 pm

In Delta's earnings call this morning, president Glen Hauenstein said the airline will focus capacity growth in the next few years on its mid-continent hubs. Hmmm, I wonder where I've heard that idea before.

https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/12 ... 7564422144
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

CALTECH

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:52 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:

Up to 7 Acft in Paint Jobs;

# 0220 Full Paint Fuselage and wings.AMA

# 0837 Olympic Decals Removal, no Paint. AMA

# 2510 Full Paint Fuselage and Wings. B777-200 New Livery Prototype. AMA

# 4048 Full Paint Fuselage and Wings. AMA

# 4286 Full Paint Fuselage and Wings. AMA

# 4879 Full Paint Fuselage and Wings. China Southern. Tough Primer. LCQ

# 6454 Full Paint Fuselage and Wings. LCQ

SlimLine

# 0102 MIA
# 0116 MIA
# 0120 MIA
You are here.

calpsafltskeds

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:04 pm

319:
N818UA departed IAH w/o 12F config
N842UA sked to exit SFO 1549/16Jan with 12F config

738:
N18220 sked to exit AMA 2762/15Jan in EvoBlu livery
N77530 sked to enter AMA paint 2761/15Jan for Evo/Blu livery

VC10er

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:42 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
UAinAUS wrote:
UAX Update:

CR2:

Agreed! HORRIBLE! HATED THEM!

But if turned into a CRJ550, then it’s quite amazing, especially under 2 hours!

VC10er

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:01 pm

xxcr wrote:
VC10er wrote:
jayunited wrote:

Oh man, i miss those cloth recliners that UA used for their business class prior to introducing a full flatbed seat.
I LOVED THEM TOO! Frankly, no other airline that had a “recliner seat” in business had a better recliner! LH, Swiss, CO, AA, DL. none had a seat that reclined SO FAR BACK as to be near flat! All I needed to do was put my back pack on the leg rest and it was “almost a bed!” (Better than an angled flat? True it was spring loaded operating (not electric push button- apart from the lumbar function, but even the levers were well designed! It would have been an AWESOME LEAPFROG PE seat!)

it's also amazing that UA is able to sell that many J seats from EWR-LHR.

Any data on how the High-J 763 are doing EWR/LHR?
How many business lie flat BA to JFK are there a day?

jetblastdubai

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Hypothetically, UA could replace every CR2 under the UAX banner with a CRJ550 and avoid scope issues. Does anyone have an estimate how many additional CR7s are floating around the UA system that could be converted? Also, are there any more around (outside of UAX) that could be acquired and converted as existing operators shed them?

From the Bombardier website, https://commercialaircraft.bombardier.com/?x=https it appears that CRJ550 is a production model unless it's just a conversion option that they're marketing. Would it be cost effective to purchase new CRJ550s for a mere 50 seats or is shedding the CR2 model worth the investment?

FlyHossD

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:46 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
Hypothetically, UA could replace every CR2 under the UAX banner with a CRJ550 and avoid scope issues. Does anyone have an estimate how many additional CR7s are floating around the UA system that could be converted? Also, are there any more around (outside of UAX) that could be acquired and converted as existing operators shed them?

From the Bombardier website, https://commercialaircraft.bombardier.com/?x=https it appears that CRJ550 is a production model unless it's just a conversion option that they're marketing. Would it be cost effective to purchase new CRJ550s for a mere 50 seats or is shedding the CR2 model worth the investment?

Hard to see how the CRJ-550 is cost effective at all, at least on a direct basis.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

codc10

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:02 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:

Hard to see how the CRJ-550 is cost effective at all, at least on a direct basis.

It's not a cost-effective platform, but it can generate more revenue per passenger than a CR2, and captures business that United previously wasn't competitive for. Not as much as CR7, but the losses (or opportunity cost) of flying fewer passengers is more favorable to buying scope relief, at this point.

UAinAUS

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:43 pm

UAX Update:

CR2:
N221PS exited ROS in new livery, entered service with Skywest

CR7:
N155GJ exited service, at STL awaiting CR5 mod, will be future N534GJ

E75SC:
N620UX enters revenue service 15Jan with ExpressJet

77H

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:05 pm

codc10 wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:

It's not a cost-effective platform, but it can generate more revenue per passenger than a CR2, and captures business that United previously wasn't competitive for. Not as much as CR7, but the losses (or opportunity cost) of flying fewer passengers is more favorable to buying scope relief, at this point.

Just to clarify, are you indicating that UA is operating the CR5s at a loss, but the cost of those losses is less than buying and operating a new type that would provide scope relief?

Or are you saying that the CR5 is simply not cost effective comparative to the CR7 but generates more than the CR2?

77H

cosyr

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:09 pm

Anyone know which plane had the flame out on UA1871 last night? The site only says what the plane was that completed the flight after the first one return to EWR,

CONTACREW

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:28 pm

cosyr wrote:
Anyone know which plane had the flame out on UA1871 last night? The site only says what the plane was that completed the flight after the first one return to EWR,

A/C 112 N18112
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

codc10

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:11 pm

77H wrote:
codc10 wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

It's not a cost-effective platform, but it can generate more revenue per passenger than a CR2, and captures business that United previously wasn't competitive for. Not as much as CR7, bu OO t the losses (or opportunity cost) of flying fewer passengers is more favorable to buying scope relief, at this point.

Just to clarify, are you indicating that UA is operating the CR5s at a loss, but the cost of those losses is less than buying and operating a new type that would provide scope relief?

Or are you saying that the CR5 is simply not cost effective comparative to the CR7 but generates more than the CR2?

77H

The latter. I don’t know the operating results of the CR5 fleet. It’s fair to assume the CR5 has higher CASM than the CR7, but generates higher RASM than the CR2.

We discussed direct operating costs of the CR7 vs. CR2 In last year’s thread. Trip costs of the CR7 aren’t dramatically higher than the CR2, and we can also imagine United negotiated favorable block-hour rates with GoJet to operate the CR5. So, overall, I have to believe it’s preferable to a CR2 from a competitive, network and paxex perspective. Whether it’s overall more or less profitable, I don’t know.

calpsafltskeds

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:35 pm

320:
N486UA sked to exit AMA 2743/16Jan in EvoBlu
N496UA sked to enter AMA 2742/16Jan for EvoBlu livery

738:
N33264 sked to enter AMA 2764/16Jan for EvoBlu livery.

37 Total mainline aircraft complete or in paint shop, including 2 Her Art units.
51 Total express units in new livery. Mostly ERJ175SC and CRJ550.

739:
N66837 sked to exit AMA 2744/16Jan - only having Special Olympics decals removed.

mmahpeel

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:48 pm

I had heard rumors these past few months regarding the reconfiguration of the 320 fleet to the 16F configuration - specifically it had been cancelled.

It appears this is indeed the case as all references to the specific configurations (20F, 20G UA fleet codes) are being deleted in the latest crew manuals.

I can speculate about the reasoning, but at least this will result in further commonality between the 319 and 320 fleets as they will all have 12F seats.

codc10

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:30 pm

mmahpeel wrote:
I had heard rumors these past few months regarding the reconfiguration of the 320 fleet to the 16F configuration - specifically it had been cancelled.

It appears this is indeed the case as all references to the specific configurations (20F, 20G UA fleet codes) are being deleted in the latest crew manuals.

I can speculate about the reasoning, but at least this will result in further commonality between the 319 and 320 fleets as they will all have 12F seats.

That's a shame... United tends to do a pretty good job reneging on well-publicized improvements/enhancements! That's about 25% of the highly-touted number of new F seats from a few months ago.

I always wondered how exactly UA was going to shoehorn in another row of F, plus a closet, while keeping total seat count flat... E+ and F legroom most certainly would have suffered mightily. With the MAX fleet grounded for the foreseeable future, UA doesn't need more fleets OOS for reconfiguration, anyway.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos