Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flight152

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:35 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
320:
N4912U Ex Vuelving unit entered CLE 2715/31Jan, storage or moving to GYR?

752:
N19141 entered MIA 2759/30Jan for 16/160 config.

What’s going on with these Vueling aircraft? Why through Cleveland? Do they plan on putting these aircraft in service?

VC10er

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:16 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
VC10er wrote:
But 2 connections on a 737-800 (the dawg of narrow bodies) - they will be jarring in in contrast. Had my connections been on a newly refurbished (used) A319, it would have been an end to end CONSISTENT UNITED experience.

So you're comparing an aircraft that hasn't been refurbished to one that has? I'm not at all surprised that the refurbished one meets with your approval.

And your luck is apparently worse that mine. My recent flights on UA 737s - both 800s and 900s - have been in good shape.

FlyHossD, your first paragraph comes off as a bit snarky. I don’t know it that was your intent, or your point? But I will give you the benefit of the doubt as tone is so often lost in a written post.

YES, I was comparing a newly refurbished aircraft to one that has not been. A newly refurbished UA (used) A319 that received the full treatment, with the new beautifully designed and executed interiors vs an old 737-800, and are 2 very different United experiences. Most notably in the first class cabin. While I find that UA keeps the old 738 interiors clean, and UA (the FA’s) do a great job, the 738 is unattractive and ordinary looking aesthetically and is fitted with the most uncomfortable generic First Class seat. The UA 738 (and to a lesser degree the 739) feels like it is almost like a no name charter 737 with no branding or branded look and feel.

I’m sure the 737MAX’s delivered with the new PriestmanGood design must be equally, or even more beautiful than the new (but used) refurbished A319’s given the Boeing Sky Ceiling. (But I never got the chance to fly the 737MAX before it was grounded)

The point I was making in my post was that I was hoping that AFTER UA is finished with enormous job of refurbishing the all the wide bodies, that UA will do “something” to update the interior’s of the 737-8/9 for the sake of having a more consistent and cohesive (new) United Branded look. Doing so would further help United’s NEW Brand image and reputation. M

For the second time, 3 weeks from now I’m going from EWR to Las Vegas by flying the 787-10 transcon in a real Polaris seat to LAX, then transferring to a 738 to Las Vegas.
It’s a very big brand experience disconnect. One long leg in a beautiful new 787-10, then onto a very short flight on a 737 that doesn’t feel like I’m on the “same” airline.

I would probably feel like I just flew the new and great United if my short leg was operated on a CRJ550.

I realize poor UA has been hamstrung by the 737MAX grownding. Had the 737MAX fiasco not have happened, I think UA would have had the slack in their system to refurbish in whole or in part the preexisting 737-8/3 fleet.
The preexisting A319/20’s which got a partial refurbishment are “close enough” to the FRESH and new design only because the Pentagram designed silver & blue is close enough for most folks not to notice much. Even the 73G with the new First seat is a notch above.

I would understand given the size and age of the 737-8/9 UA decided not to give them the FULL treatment (due to cost), because I’ve been told the refreshed 753’s look far better than before. I’ve flown on the “freshened up” 752 First Class cabin, and while there are sill very old elements from the old 752, the newly freshened interiors deliver a much less shabby interior, and more in keeping with the entire United brand overhaul.

So, my last question was do Delta and AA have some aircraft that look old too, and not better aligned with their cabin refreshes?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

hhslax2

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:18 pm

VC10er wrote:
So, my last question was do Delta and AA have some aircraft that look old too, and not better aligned with their cabin refreshes?

AA has quite a few narrow body planes that have not been refurbished. Most of the fleet from AW/US still needs updating and the addition of a standard main cabin extra area. The 737-800 "oasis" refurbishment essentially stopped when the Max got grounded. Only a handful have been refurbished since the grounding.

jayunited

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:11 pm

VC10er wrote:
I’m sure the 737MAX’s delivered with the new PriestmanGood design must be equally, or even more beautiful than the new (but used) refurbished A319’s given the Boeing Sky Ceiling. (But I never got the chance to fly the 737MAX before it was grounded)

The point I was making in my post was that I was hoping that AFTER UA is finished with enormous job of refurbishing the all the wide bodies, that UA will do “something” to update the interior’s of the 737-8/9 for the sake of having a more consistent and cohesive (new) United Branded look. Doing so would further help United’s NEW Brand image and reputation. M

For the second time, 3 weeks from now I’m going from EWR to Las Vegas by flying the 787-10 transcon in a real Polaris seat to LAX, then transferring to a 738 to Las Vegas.
It’s a very big brand experience disconnect. One long leg in a beautiful new 787-10, then onto a very short flight on a 737 that doesn’t feel like I’m on the “same” airline.

What exactly do you want people to say? I'm not trying to be disrespectful and as an employee I do appreciate your continued business but what do you want people to say? UA can not take on refurbishing the entire fleet all at once. We are currently in the middle of Polaris/PE, refreshing the entire A319 fleet, A320 fleet, 753 fleet, RR 752 fleet, aircraft out of service for paint, aircraft out of service for maintenance (including heavy maintenance), MAX fleet which should have been around 35+ frames grounded. But after all of that you want to know when UA will refresh the 737-8/9 fleet?

Most passengers believe there is an endless supply of aircraft in an airlines fleet, but you don't strike me as most passengers. You know there are a limited number of aircraft in the entire fleet, you know from your own post the projects UA is currently engaged in fleet wide. I could understand your displeasure if UA was not investing in its fleet but we are. I also understand the need that everyone has which is they what everything done yesterday, and everyone wants to fly on a new aircraft or a newly refurbished aircraft.

However, its not possible to tackle all these projects at the same time and still run an airline. UA still has to operate thousands of mainline flights every day to do this we need aircraft. UA knows the older 737-8/9s need attention and will get around to it but if you are looking for an exact start date as to when they will be refurbished as far as I know there isn't one at this point in time.

codc10

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:25 pm

UA has major interior refurb plans for the bulk of the 737-800/900 fleets (not sure it includes -700s). That program hasn’t started and most probably won’t until the MAX situation is sorted out.

So, until then, no changes to 738 interiors.

airplanedriver6

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:28 pm

codc10 wrote:
UA has major interior refurb plans for the bulk of the 737-800/900 fleets (not sure it includes -700s). That program hasn’t started and most probably won’t until the MAX situation is sorted out.

Indeed.

It was publicly announced at the media day last October that the narrow body cabins would be getting a refresh including new, larger, overhead bins. For example, on the 737-900 this means room for an additional 65 bags which would virtually eliminate the last minute chaos of cabin checked luggage.

As with everything else, I'm assuming the MAX fiasco will have an impact on the schedule.

AMollenhauer9

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:53 pm

My dad sent me a pic of N587UA today from SFO. I know there's no sense in painting it with limited lifespan left, but this bird is in bad shape.

http://imgur.com/gallery/xjJ9NSL

cosyr

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:57 pm

AMollenhauer9 wrote:
My dad sent me a pic of N587UA today from SFO. I know there's no sense in painting it with limited lifespan left, but this bird is in bad shape.

There's always sense. That condition makes most passengers nervous, and that is just a poor representation of a brand.

SXDFC

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:52 am

AMollenhauer9 wrote:

In some cases like this all it takes is a two day visit to the paint shop to fix spots like this, that's of course if that's the worst of the paint damage on this 757.. However I'd imagine most of the passengers are more concerned about being on time, or making a connection rather than what the paint looks like.. They may make a comment about it, but often its forgotten about by the time they land..

SXDFC

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:55 am

codc10 wrote:

So, until then, no changes to 738 interiors.

Will they do what AA did with "Oasis" interiors or will they get new side panels too? I've flown on the Delta 757 with the Sky interior retrofit, and it looks quite nice.

VC10er

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:49 am

jayunited wrote:
VC10er wrote:

What exactly do you want people to say? I'm not trying to be disrespectful and as an employee I do appreciate your continued business but what do you want people to say? UA can not take on refurbishing the entire fleet all at once. We are currently in the middle of Polaris/PE, refreshing the entire A319 fleet, A320 fleet, 753 fleet, RR 752 fleet, aircraft out of service for paint, aircraft out of service for maintenance (including heavy maintenance), MAX fleet which should have been around 35+ frames grounded. But after all of that you want to know when UA will refresh the 737-8/9 fleet?

Most passengers believe there is an endless supply of aircraft in an airlines fleet, but you don't strike me as most passengers. You know there are a limited number of aircraft in the entire fleet, you know from your own post the projects UA is currently engaged in fleet wide. I could understand your displeasure if UA was not investing in its fleet but we are. I also understand the need that everyone has which is they what everything done yesterday, and everyone wants to fly on a new aircraft or a newly refurbished aircraft.

However, its not possible to tackle all these projects at the same time and still run an airline. UA still has to operate thousands of mainline flights every day to do this we need aircraft. UA knows the older 737-8/9s need attention and will get around to it but if you are looking for an exact start date as to when they will be refurbished as far as I know there isn't one at this point in time.

Jayunited,
Didn't you read the paragraph that starts with?:

”The point I was trying to make”

From there onwards, and from my original post I FULLY ACKNOWLEDGE THE FACT (MORE THAN ONCE) that United is in the process of an absolutely huge undertaking doing the entire enormous WB fleet AND ”hamstrung” to do anything right now with NB’s due largely to the 737MAX debacle, to do anything with the ”enormous” 737-800 (to a lesser degree the -900). I don't expect them to do anything ”NOW” and didn't imply that. Or if I did I did not mean to.

For example: way, way back (before the A321XLR order) when I had inquired about the shabby state of First Class on the 757-200’s, and and asked ”are there plans to do something to spruce them up because no replacements were in sight?” and asked things like ”could they take newer Diamond seats off the 787’s when the time comes?” Would they fit?” I was told here they wouldn't fit. But no mention ever about plans to do something because they were seriously bad shape. Then Voila! many months someone here posted ”UA is going to fix up First Class on the 752’s and then listed the planned changes. (and I still don't know what a ”unibrow” is (in the airline world!) but BRAVO, while not really ”different” the new F on the 752’s look nice again!

So, you kindly replied in part to my question: paraphrasing: ”United management is aware that the current 737-8/900’s are in need but nothing will happen until all the major Polaris/PE refurbishment's are fully completed”

I am far more than aware, I have experienced every facet of every change on United over the past few years (be it aircraft interiors, the beautiful gate and check-in counters with white & chrome computers, Polaris lounges and even the new label design on the angled mounted hand soap bottles!)

So, had someone simply said anything like ”once the MAX’s are flying in decent numbers, the old 737 fleet will get the new F seat, carpeting and new front bulkheads with signage by 2025” that would have thrilled me! Or ”the oldest 737-800’s will probably stay the way they are because they will be very close to being retired by the time the all the MAX’S are flying so really it would be a waste of money” - oh! OK, I didn't realize they were that old” OR ”UA is only planning to replace the F seats and nothing else due to their age”

Whatever info is cool with me! But the current 737’s so rarely ever discussed at all! Once an very, very long time ago someone posted something about CO selecting the least expensive, off the shelf F seats for the 737-800’s as CO was cash strapped at the time they ordered them (and I don't even know if that's true!

LAST: Given how so many people knock themselves out to talk about how amazing and so much better Delta is (I don't hear anyone ever tooting AA’s horn apart from their 3 class transcontinental Airbus’) I wanted to know ”does Delta or AA have issues with old interiors? I don't know because #1 I only fly United, and #2 I don't follow any threads of theirs as much as this one. I will if a new thread appears about big news from DL or AA but I am not following along as I do with United.

YES, as a massive frequent United flier, on domestic trips, if I'm about to pay for a First Class seat, I will, if possible fly an Airbus, 73G or 737-900, E175, CRJ550 and naturally if I find a 752! But I'm far less happy flying EWR to DEN on a 737-800, but ill pay for First anyway because I've flown waaaay too much in my life (but loved every minute) and it's the ONE indulgence I permit myself.

calpsafltskeds

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:02 am

319 new configuration:
N820UA sked to exit SFO 1549/3Feb in 12F/36E+/78Y

320:
N4912U sked to enter GYR 2714/2FEb, storage or Induction - Former Vuelving

738:
N77295 entered AMA 2744/1Feb for EvoBlu livery
N87531 Sked to exit AMA 2745/1Feb in EvoBlu livery

767-300 Paint:
N648UA sked to enter AMA 2742/2Feb for EvoBlu livery
N649UA sked to exit AMA 2743/2Feb in EvoBlu livery

77W:
N2737U entered HKG 877/31Jan for maint

KFTG

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:48 am

The ex-Vueling A320s were purchased for parts.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:42 pm

The fleet changes, fleet status, and repaint status posts at the start of this thread have been updated.

✈️ atcsundevil

LGeneReese

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:12 pm

78J
N12012.... What I presume is C1 occurring at this moment (2Feb)... Shows RfD on spreadsheet already though... :scratchchin:

x1234

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:24 pm

How is the payload of the B787-10 on SFO-AKL? Is it at the aircraft range limits? I find it FINALLY that UA has their Polaris 1-2-1 product on both SYD & AKL.

avi8

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:35 pm

I wonder what’s going to happen with all those wide body spares in light of the temporary suspension of the China flights. Maintenance perhaps?
avi8

SFOtoORD

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:44 pm

avi8 wrote:
I wonder what’s going to happen with all those wide body spares in light of the temporary suspension of the China flights. Maintenance perhaps?

Would be a great time to paint some wide bodies, but assume it can’t be scheduled on such short notice.

jayunited

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:07 pm

x1234 wrote:
How is the payload of the B787-10 on SFO-AKL? Is it at the aircraft range limits? I find it FINALLY that UA has their Polaris 1-2-1 product on both SYD & AKL.

The aircraft is not range limited the fuel capacity of a 78J based on yesterdays (February 1st) fuel density check at SFO was 225,200. UA917-01 SFO-AKL had a gate fuel of 185,300. The range isn't the problem, the ZFW isn't the problem yesterdays flight was 49,000 LBS below MZFW. The issues with the 78J is it relatively low MTOG given its size. Yesterday's flight UA917-01 did leave with a full passenger cabin (318 passengers), 292 bags and 2,526 LBS of cargo. With the count that was just provided UA917-01 was 2,365 LBS below the MTOG.

One of the reason's UA downguaged this route from a 77W to a 78J is because the capabilities of the 77W were being wasted on this route. For UA SFO-AKL-SFO is not a consistently cargo heavy route. There are days (few and far between) when there are 20,000 LBS or more of cargo planned. However we saw this, this past December where UA upguaged this route for a few days from the 78Jto the 77W and that was to accommodate high priority cargo which had been booked well in advance and the 78X would not have been able to accommodate the cargo because MTOG would have limited the flight.

Just looking at the route on its own merits the 78J can handle this route with a full load of passengers and 300 or so bags with a small amount of cargo without being weight restricted. Throw a lot of cargo at this route with a full passenger cabin and the 78J no longer works for this route.

codc10

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:13 pm

avi8 wrote:

The slack in the WB schedule can be used (in cascade effect) to allow for some deferred maintenance work on other fleets that have been stretched thin as a result of the MAX grounding.

FlyHossD

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:13 pm

VC10er wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
VC10er wrote:
But 2 connections on a 737-800 (the dawg of narrow bodies) - they will be jarring in in contrast. Had my connections been on a newly refurbished (used) A319, it would have been an end to end CONSISTENT UNITED experience.

So you're comparing an aircraft that hasn't been refurbished to one that has? I'm not at all surprised that the refurbished one meets with your approval.

And your luck is apparently worse that mine. My recent flights on UA 737s - both 800s and 900s - have been in good shape.

FlyHossD, your first paragraph comes off as a bit snarky. I don’t know it that was your intent, or your point? But I will give you the benefit of the doubt as tone is so often lost in a written post...

...So, my last question was do Delta and AA have some aircraft that look old too, and not better aligned with their cabin refreshes?

No snarkiness was intended - rather I was simply pointing out the fallacy of your comparison. Of course a freshly refurbished aircraft will appear better inside! Pointing out a flaw isn't snarky, is it?

My most recent experience on DL was good and the newer 737 interior was in good shape. What I enjoyed the most was the attentive service by the DL cabin crew, though.

It's been nearly 20 years since I've ridden on AA, so I won't offer an opinion there (that doesn't stop everyone on this forum though). My last experience on AA was so bad that I've never been compelled to go back - that too, was the result of the cabin crew.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

STT757

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:18 pm

codc10 wrote:
avi8 wrote:

The slack in the WB schedule can be used (in cascade effect) to allow for some deferred maintenance work on other fleets that have been stretched thin as a result of the MAX grounding.

I’m thinking the 752 fleet, put the extra widebodies on EWR-LAX/SFO and speed up work on the 752s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

x1234

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:57 pm

I find it interesting the 77W's massive cargo capabilities are used to certain destinations. Does the 772ER have more cargo capacity than the 789? Maybe that's why HKG is 77W and PVG (more cargo) is 772 and 789. Also since SFO-SIN is on the edge of the 789's range, does SFO-SIN carry any cargo? I would assume west-bound it barely can carry any.

codc10

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:25 pm

STT757 wrote:
codc10 wrote:
avi8 wrote:

I’m thinking the 752 fleet, put the extra widebodies on EWR-LAX/SFO and speed up work on the 752s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The lead time for outsourced mod work (especially work that includes procuring new parts like seats, IFE, interior monuments, etc.) is hard to speed up.

If anything, it would involve work United TechOps does in-house, that can be, but is not necessarily, a bit more flexible.

UAinAUS

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:42 pm

UAX Update:

CR5:
N613QX has been reregistered as N508GJ, ferried AMA for EvoBlu livery
N174GJ has been reregistered as N553GJ, exited MLB with mod complete, at STL awaiting service entry
N519GJ exited AMA with EvoBlu livery, at STL awaiting service entry
N166GJ entered MLB for interior mod
N155GJ entered AMA for EvoBlu livery

CR2:
N943SW exited service, stored

VC10er

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:35 am

FlyHossD wrote:
VC10er wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

FlyHossD, your first paragraph comes off as a bit snarky. I don’t know it that was your intent, or your point? But I will give you the benefit of the doubt as tone is so often lost in a written post...

...So, my last question was do Delta and AA have some aircraft that look old too, and not better aligned with their cabin refreshes?

No snarkiness was intended - rather I was simply pointing out the fallacy of your comparison. Of course a freshly refurbished aircraft will appear better inside! Pointing out a flaw isn't snarky, is it?

My most recent experience on DL was good and the newer 737 interior was in good shape. What I enjoyed the most was the attentive service by the DL cabin crew, though.

It's been nearly 20 years since I've ridden on AA, so I won't offer an opinion there (that doesn't stop everyone on this forum though). My last experience on AA was so bad that I've never been compelled to go back - that too, was the result of the cabin crew.

FlyHossD,
That original post of mine regarding (for the most part) the 737-800 is probably the single most regretted posts I've ever written! (and I've written some really stupid ones in the past)

Yes, I was comparing, but NO I really was NOT trying to make a point that the really new interiors of new (but used) A319’s were FAR more beautiful than the 737-800/900 and how come ALL the NB’s don't look that nice?

I was unsure if you were being snarky because just like texts and emails, with no tone of voice in a live conversation to go by, a person can read something the wrong way. And Jayunited (whom I LOVE) did not seem to react to my note that we'll. SO, IT IS ME, not you guys!

I totally realized the and understood the facts of ”Aviation Life” and that United could not make the ENTIRE NB fleet look brand spanking new and beautiful as if ”Jeannie” was an employee and crossed her arms and blinked her eyes, THEN SNAP, every NB would look exactly the same be it an older 737 or pre-existing Airbus etc.

What I wrote, HOW I wrote it didn't come off as intended. For starters, I have only had 2 flights on one of the new (but used) totally refurbished A319’s and the FIRST time I was so blown away by how attractive, perfectly executed and beautifully branded she was...from the moment I boarded and since I was like only the second person to board her, she was empty, so I got the ”FULL IMPACT” of how nice it was. I was SO HAPPY to see a United NB that looked factory new with every detail so well thought through. It left a major impression. PLUS, given the fact I'm in the branding business, I was thrilled FOR UNITED, that all the passengers would board, see and smell the new modern interior with the UNITED brand boldly displayed.

My misfired post was really to humbly inquire ”after the BIG JOB of Polaris and all the WB’s, is there a plan in discussion to one day give the current 737-800/900 the same make over or not?” because you guys know how much life is left in those 737-800 & 737-900’s and will they be flying alongside all the newly refurbished used aircraft AND the 737MAX’s one day (which put together is close to doubling the NB fleet (no matter if it is a 737 or A319/20)

As a United lover to the point of mental illness, I only want the hands down best fleet for United- which then got me thinking (I wonder if DL or AA have mixed looking interiors?)
Because I fly neither. Any airline other than United that I fly will be a Star Partner airline. (recently I was on an LH A220, in F from FRA to BCA and while she is a beautiful aircraft and Lufthansa does a great job of making sure you know ”Im flying Lufthansa!” with their cabin branding. But I was very disappointed in the slimline seat in Business (First in the US) - It was a good looking seat, but not a good ”sitting” seat!
(AND UNITED’S NEW DOM FIRST SEAT ROCKS IMHO!!!)

jetmatt777

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:38 am

VC10er wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
VC10er wrote:

FlyHossD,
That original post of mine regarding (for the most part) the 737-800 is probably the single most regretted posts I've ever written! (and I've written some really stupid ones in the past)

Yes, I was comparing, but NO I really was NOT trying to make a point that the really new interiors of new (but used) A319’s were FAR more beautiful than the 737-800/900 and how come ALL the NB’s don't look that nice?

I was unsure if you were being snarky because just like texts and emails, with no tone of voice in a live conversation to go by, a person can read something the wrong way. And Jayunited (whom I LOVE) did not seem to react to my note that we'll. SO, IT IS ME, not you guys!

I totally realized the and understood the facts of ”Aviation Life” and that United could not make the ENTIRE NB fleet look brand spanking new and beautiful as if ”Jeannie” was an employee and crossed her arms and blinked her eyes, THEN SNAP, every NB would look exactly the same be it an older 737 or pre-existing Airbus etc.

What I wrote, HOW I wrote it didn't come off as intended. For starters, I have only had 2 flights on one of the new (but used) totally refurbished A319’s and the FIRST time I was so blown away by how attractive, perfectly executed and beautifully branded she was...from the moment I boarded and since I was like only the second person to board her, she was empty, so I got the ”FULL IMPACT” of how nice it was. I was SO HAPPY to see a United NB that looked factory new with every detail so well thought through. It left a major impression. PLUS, given the fact I'm in the branding business, I was thrilled FOR UNITED, that all the passengers would board, see and smell the new modern interior with the UNITED brand boldly displayed.

My misfired post was really to humbly inquire ”after the BIG JOB of Polaris and all the WB’s, is there a plan in discussion to one day give the current 737-800/900 the same make over or not?” because you guys know how much life is left in those 737-800 & 737-900’s and will they be flying alongside all the newly refurbished used aircraft AND the 737MAX’s one day (which put together is close to doubling the NB fleet (no matter if it is a 737 or A319/20)

As a United lover to the point of mental illness, I only want the hands down best fleet for United- which then got me thinking (I wonder if DL or AA have mixed looking interiors?)
Because I fly neither. Any airline other than United that I fly will be a Star Partner airline. (recently I was on an LH A220, in F from FRA to BCA and while she is a beautiful aircraft and Lufthansa does a great job of making sure you know ”Im flying Lufthansa!” with their cabin branding. But I was very disappointed in the slimline seat in Business (First in the US) - It was a good looking seat, but not a good ”sitting” seat!

I don't really understand why your post received such a reaction. It was akin to comparing a recently completed stretch of repaved highway to one that hasn't been repaved yet. Of course you can't do it all in one day, but it's still okay to reasonably compare the two.

Moving on.

bigb

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:40 am

VC10er wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
VC10er wrote:

FlyHossD,

All of the big 3 will have mixed interiors and I don't think we will ever see a point where the UA, AA, or DL will have a consistent interior across their domestic fleet. UA, AA, and DL narrowbody fleet numbers are massive to the point it will take quite a few years to cycle through an entire fleet of aircraft. By the time the entire fleet is nearly done, it will be time for a new product or a new product will be introduced then the cycle starts over. Gone are the days where an airline can cycle through a fleet of 100-200 narrowbody birds when there were like 6 major carriers.

cosyr

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:43 am

bigb wrote:
VC10er wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

FlyHossD,

All of the big 3 will have mixed interiors and I don't think we will ever see a point where the UA, AA, or DL will have a consistent interior across their domestic fleet. UA, AA, and DL narrowbody fleet numbers are massive to the point it will take quite a few years to cycle through an entire fleet of aircraft. By the time the entire fleet is nearly done, it will be time for a new product or a new product will be introduced then the cycle starts over. Gone are the days where an airline can cycle through a fleet of 100-200 narrowbody birds when there were like 6 major carriers.

I agree that there will never be a time when all the seats will be consistent, because be they time they reach the end, they're already starting something new, but the average frequent flyer doesn't care, and they don't give the benefit of the doubt. I personally don't have a problem with the 737 seats, because what I am most concerned with is shoulder room, and any F seat achieves that. At the same time, I don't understand why some have been around so long. Since United got their first 777 in 1995, how many different F and J seats have there been? Some that have been around the longest have seen 4 or 5 from those pillowy ones with the orange stripes all the way up to Polaris, all within less than 25 years, but some sCO 737's have had the same F seats since 1998. That is 22 years, vs 5-10 years on the 777's. Everything can't be done at once, but it is clear that UA doesn't put much importance on these.

VC10er

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:46 am

bigb wrote:
VC10er wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

FlyHossD,

Ok! That's totally understandable. Because when I added up the NB fleet in service today, with 150 MAX’s and in the find, final count of used aircraft the number of aircraft is totally mind boggling, and UA currently doesn't even have the most NB’s. And rather than the MAX’s trickling in (which will now arrive in tremendous quantities by the time the are cleared to fly PLUS 50 A321XLR’s - I was super curious about how such a MASSIVE thing managing all those aircraft in every possible way, INCLUDING where to fly them all too, I am in AWE!
I am so curious about EVERYTHING, like what does a pair of the new UA domestic F seat cost when ordered by the many, many hundreds? Does any other airline use that reclining feature where the butt cushion slides forward? I think it makes a big comfort difference when reclining!

Thanks! I eat all this stuff up!

upperdeckfan

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:17 am

Next month I'm booked on IAH-FRA in J and seat map shows old J. At leats is 2-2-2 instead of 2-4-2.

I have red reports that 36 out of UA's 51 772's are already retrofitted with Polaris. How comes that UA don't yet offer Polaris on hub-to-hub route like IAH-FRA when the majority of 772's have already been reconfigured?
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

TrafficCop

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:10 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
Next month I'm booked on IAH-FRA in J and seat map shows old J. At leats is 2-2-2 instead of 2-4-2.

I have red reports that 36 out of UA's 51 772's are already retrofitted with Polaris. How comes that UA don't yet offer Polaris on hub-to-hub route like IAH-FRA when the majority of 772's have already been reconfigured?

IAH sees predominantly GE777's. Since only 11 of the 22 GE777 are done
and 5 more in Mod UA will still show old configuration since cant guarantee will be Polaris. Better to think getting old seat and get new than other way around, Same seat count so no harm
there either. So markets like IAH-EZE/FRA/LHR/NRT still show old seat map.. Good news is by mid June all 777's both PW and GE should be done and seat maps
will be updated.in reservations.

FYI did a quick check and from Feb 1-5 IAH-FRA was or is planned in a Polaris aircraft. So right now have a decent chance of getting Polaris.(unless you have my luck :rotfl: )

upperdeckfan

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:05 pm

TrafficCop wrote:
upperdeckfan wrote:

IAH sees predominantly GE777's. Since only 11 of the 22 GE777 are done
and 5 more in Mod UA will still show old configuration since cant guarantee will be Polaris. Better to think getting old seat and get new than other way around, Same seat count so no harm
there either. So markets like IAH-EZE/FRA/LHR/NRT still show old seat map.. Good news is by mid June all 777's both PW and GE should be done and seat maps
will be updated.in reservations.

FYI did a quick check and from Feb 1-5 IAH-FRA was or is planned in a Polaris aircraft. So right now have a decent chance of getting Polaris.(unless you have my luck :rotfl: )

Thanks for the inside. If I'd ve been aware of the good chance to get Polaris I'd have done UA instead of LH on the FRA-IAH leg.

My flights is the 2nd week of march, will report back to you if better luck.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

wnflyguy

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:00 pm

UA dropping PAE-SFO.
Will UA double down on PAE-DEN.
Or Add PAE-ORD?
Any thoughts?

Thanks Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

Cmac787

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:23 pm

Will the corona virus delay some of the mod work on the widebodies. Since most of it is done in China. Can some of the work be done stateside?

codc10

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:18 pm

Cmac787 wrote:
Will the corona virus delay some of the mod work on the widebodies. Since most of it is done in China. Can some of the work be done stateside?

I believe HKG work is resuming post-CNY and XMN (Fujian province reportedly not heavily affected) should also resume after 2/9.

fun2fly

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:41 pm

763 Polaris Mod in HKG test hop Feb 6 UA2696

772 GE Polaris Mod exit HKG 2/6 N77006

ADM94

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:45 pm

UAinAUS wrote:
CR2:
N943SW exited service, stored

N943SW is in C-Check...should be flying again soon
318 319 320 321 332 333 346 359 388 AR1 712 722 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739 752 753 763 764 77E 77L 788 789 CRJ CR7 CR9 CS1 D93 DH4 ERD ER4 E75 E90 F70 100 M82 M83 M88 M90

joeljack

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:29 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
UA dropping PAE-SFO.
Or Add PAE-ORD?
Any thoughts?

Thanks Flyguy

I think a new market like PAE would take 2-3 years to develop and get a base and knowledge. Straight from the mouth of other airline CEO's. United dropping this after such a short time is crazy in my mind. I do think that PAE-ORD would do well with Boeing in both places. Why not take SFO down to 2x daily and add ORD at 2x daily and see if that improves SFO?

LHUSA

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:51 pm

joeljack wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
UA dropping PAE-SFO.
Or Add PAE-ORD?
Any thoughts?

Thanks Flyguy

I think a new market like PAE would take 2-3 years to develop and get a base and knowledge. Straight from the mouth of other airline CEO's. United dropping this after such a short time is crazy in my mind. I do think that PAE-ORD would do well with Boeing in both places. Why not take SFO down to 2x daily and add ORD at 2x daily and see if that improves SFO?

Generally agree, but maybe SFO was just that bad to justify immediate exit. United doesn't tend to drop new markets quickly, but a few that come to mind are CMI and IST back in the day.

calpsafltskeds

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:01 pm

319:
N806UA sked to exit AMA 2743/4Feb in EvoBlu livery
N831UA sked to enter AMA paint 2742/4Feb
N881UA sked to exit XMN Induction 2693/5FEb, to USA via NRT/ANC

738:
N13227 exited VCV 2725/3Feb in EvoBlu livery

763:
N651UA sked to exit ILN maint 2745/4Feb
N659UA entered ILN maint 2741/3Feb

772:
N77006 sked to exit HKG 180/6Feb with Polaris/PP
N76021 sked to enter HKG 179/4Feb for Polaris/PP

77W:
N2135U sked to exit XMN maint 2730/5Feb
N2138U entered XMN maint 2731/3Feb

codc10

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:59 pm

joeljack wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
UA dropping PAE-SFO.
Or Add PAE-ORD?
Any thoughts?

Thanks Flyguy

It's been a year, and the SFO route has performed below expectations. AS has an advantage for PAE-originating traffic due to its larger FF base in the region, plus nonstop service to markets for which SFO is a logical connecting point (SoCal, Arizona, LAS). For Bay Area traffic, AS has service to SFO and SJC. In short, it's a competitive market, and United's offering isn't generating any sort of premium over SEA-SFO. With the MAX grounding, E75s are helpful in maintaining/growing capacity elsewhere in the system, so the opportunity cost is high.

We'll see if DEN-PAE lasts. UA is the only carrier in the market and the hub offers good connectivity to the rest of the country... we'll see if those advantages are enough to maintain the service.

CALTECH

Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:07 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
VC10er wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

FlyHossD,

I don't really understand why your post received such a reaction. It was akin to comparing a recently completed stretch of repaved highway to one that hasn't been repaved yet. Of course you can't do it all in one day, but it's still okay to reasonably compare the two.

Moving on.

Simple. Which road would look better and feel better ? Kind of like a post and question that already have answers.....

Wonder what Boeing will come up with to beat 53 (B-737) and 36 year (A-320) old design ? Twin aisle ?

https://simpleflying.com/the-boeing-797 ... ng-boards/

"The aircraft would have also been a replacement for both the Boeing 757 (although the 737 MAX 10 was also a good 757 replacement) and the Boeing 767."

"In fact, up until this week, a ‘major supplier’ to Boeing for the NMA 797 program still had a meeting with the aerospace builder, when it was abruptly canceled."

You are here.

LAXintl

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:30 pm

As posted in Coronavirus thread HKG service suspended entirely now Feb 8-20.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Deltabravo1123

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:09 am

Apologies if this has been discussed; there are just quite a few responses in this thread to read them all. Is there any info about adjusting the paints of the Star Alliance jets in the UA fleet? Their logo did not change much, nor did the font of their name. Will these planes stay the same as they are?

intotheair

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:41 am

UAL jumped almost $4 today with heavy volume (after dropping about $15 since the coronavirus). Anybody know why? I didn't see much else going on today other than the suspension of more UA China flights.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

janders

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:32 am

intotheair wrote:
UAL jumped almost $4 today with heavy volume (after dropping about $15 since the coronavirus). Anybody know why? I didn't see much else going on today other than the suspension of more UA China flights.

Entire market was up. AAL, DAL, LUV, SAVE, JBLU etc
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

adamblang

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:16 pm

Deltabravo1123 wrote:
Apologies if this has been discussed; there are just quite a few responses in this thread to read them all. Is there any info about adjusting the paints of the Star Alliance jets in the UA fleet? Their logo did not change much, nor did the font of their name. Will these planes stay the same as they are?

Haven't seen anything about Star plane repaints.

calpsafltskeds

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:59 am

738:
N27274 sked to exit AMA 2701/6Feb in EvoBlu livery

764:
N67058 exited HKG maint 2733/6Feb

N649DL

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:14 am

AMollenhauer9 wrote:

N587UA has been repainted for at least 5 years now so no surprise there. The interior on the plane is an ex-PS fame so it's essentially still new despite being built in 1993.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos