Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL777UK

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:57 am

yeogeo wrote:
Lots of press about UA cancelling two dozen China flights from US hubs for one week. For example:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-on-virus

Somewhere in the many articles I've read it mentioned that a handful of UA Chinese flights will continue. Anyone have the information on those that will remain?...and is two dozen the number of flight numbers cancelled or the number of flights over the cancellation period?
Cancellation is from Feb1-Feb8 (so far).

Only a matter of time before they chop some/ if not all flights big time I think. BA have suspended their flights and its only a matter of time before many carriers follow and then wait for this to get under control....I hope!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51292590

fun2fly

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:22 pm

FSDan wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:
Another option would be to operate the ORD-HNL/OGG flights with ERs and float the other 2 ERs so they would provide swap out at ORD ever day or so.

I'm sure there are other options including a Spare at HNL, which would really make it work.

Here's my proposed solution:
1) ORD 10:15, HNL 14:32 -> HNL 21:00, SFO 05:03+1
2) SFO 08:45, HNL 11:04 -> HNL 13:10, SFO 21:16
3) SFO 00:45, IAH 06:35 -> IAH 10:00, HNL 13:20 -> HNL 15:50, ORD 04:59+1
4) ORD 10:20, OGG 14:31 -> OGG 16:10, ORD 05:05+1

That gives ample ground times of 2+ hours in most cases (minus the ~1:40 turn at OGG) and allows 2.5 of the 4 longest 772 HD routes (and the top 5 flights by block time) to be covered by the -ER frames, with a consistent daily rotation. Perhaps the ~6.5 hour ground time in HNL between ORD and SFO rotations and the two 5+ hour ground times at ORD could allow some routine maintenance to get done?

Does anyone think these were converted for EWR and IAD to HNL? Seems logical to me to free up 764's (maybe for Polaris conversion??) and haul a ton of people.

fun2fly

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:26 pm

jayunited wrote:
There has been an update on the 4 77Es that UA will convert to HD domestic use.
The layout will be 32 business first seats (IPTE remains), 72 economy plus seats, and 258 economy seats, for a total of 362 seats.
These aircraft will have nose to tail AVOD and PDE.

Before anyone ask I do not know if the other 19 HD frames will also be reconfigured with 32 business first seats instead of the current 28 and/or if those frames will finally get nose to tail AVOD in addition to their current PDE.

I'm sure UA's post flight surveys tell them these are their worst A/C. Putting in AVOD nose to tail would go a long way in making this score much better. I flew ORD>OGG in the fall for 8 hours and will fly DEN>OGG, HNL>ORD in April and it's a long haul balancing your tablet. I sure hope all go through the mod.

ryanflyer

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:29 pm

GmoneyCO wrote:
ryanflyer wrote:
Does anyone know which frames still have the old United business first seats? I know there are not too many left and I wanted to try and catch one

Business First seats as the the 2x2x2 seats found on the ex-Continental 777s and 787s or the older 2x4x2 found on the ex-United 777s?

If the 2x2x2 seats, almost all of the 787-8 and 787-9 planes have them still and ~40% of the ex-Continental 777s. If the seats found on the older 2x4x2 configs, there's only about a handful of those 777s left and they primarily operate out of ORD with all gone by this summer.

I think it was before Polaris was announced, the 777, 767, and 747 (In the nose) had a 1-2-1 seat. It predates Polaris and was United’s “first class”. It later went away but as I remember, there is maybe 1-2 767s with it left, and a few 777s but can’t find any info.

cruiseshipcrew

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:25 pm

ryanflyer wrote:
GmoneyCO wrote:
ryanflyer wrote:
I think it was before Polaris was announced, the 777, 767, and 747 (In the nose) had a 1-2-1 seat. It predates Polaris and was United’s “first class”. It later went away but as I remember, there is maybe 1-2 767s with it left, and a few 777s but can’t find any info.

You're talking about the old United First class seat which became the Polaris first seats before they dropped the extra service. Three 772s have it left and they are N219, N220 and N221UA. All the 767s that had those seats have been re-configured.

jayunited

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:47 pm

wn676 wrote:
Isn’t there an extra lav on these aircraft at door 4? Between that and the loss of rows aft of door 2, that’s probably where they had to make up the difference.
If they are going through the trouble of installing nose-to-tail AVOD, that could be an indication there is more to come for the domestic 777 fleet.

These 4 77E HD frames will have 1 lav behind the flight deck door, 2 lavs on either side on the aircraft behind door 2L/R, 2 lavs located between door 3L/R (one of those is the large handicap accessible lav) and finally 2 lavs on either side of the aircraft just forward of door 4L/R.

Keep in mind these aircraft had the flight deck rest bunker (which will be replaced with 2 closest) just aft of the flight deck door on the left side of the aircraft and if I remember correctly UA removed a lav from doorway 3R and replaced it with the ladder that leads down to the downstairs FA bunker.

With the removal of the flight deck closet (that space was incredibly small) seats 1A and 1B will be used for crew rest on long haul domestic flights. What isn't clear is if UA will keep the FA downstairs bunker or pull it off the aircraft and set aside 6 passengers seats on long haul domestic flights which is what we currently do with the 19 other HD frames.

LGeneReese

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:03 pm

78J
N12012 B3 BOE47 PDXCHS 29JAN Back from paint.
N24976 B1 BOE351 CHSCHS 29JAN... Note N29975 had C1 on 20JAN has not flown since .. nor showing RfD :scratchchin:

And to repeat
77W
N2251U Still scheduled Delivery UA2718 PAESFO 29JAN

Busy day....

calpsafltskeds

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:07 pm

The configuration you're mentioning will remove a lav at door 3 and there will be changes made to seating and lavs at Door 3 to add 4 seats. That will reduce lavs on the ER Domestic to 7 while the 772As have 8 lavs.
Understanding that 1 of those 8 lavs on the 772A is in the nose, with longer haul flights, wouldn't seem a good idea to leave the Door 3 lavs as they are now to save mod cost? I understand that keeping the lav would put the ER at 10 fewer Y seats than the 772A.

jetero

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:32 pm

xxcr wrote:
Whats the story with the 16F mod for the A320? i read somewhere in this thread that UA cancelled it. What was the reason for cancelling the 16F mod for the 320?

x2

Is the 16F 320 project shelved or delayed?

United787

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:39 pm

UAL777UK wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
Lots of press about UA cancelling two dozen China flights from US hubs for one week. For example:

Somewhere in the many articles I've read it mentioned that a handful of UA Chinese flights will continue. Anyone have the information on those that will remain?...and is two dozen the number of flight numbers cancelled or the number of flights over the cancellation period?

Only a matter of time before they chop some/ if not all flights big time I think. BA have suspended their flights and its only a matter of time before many carriers follow and then wait for this to get under control....I hope!

This is a perfect example of why I think the fleet and network discussions should be a separate thread. "yeogeo" posted some information on some major UA route news and in 14 hours there has been 1 response. In the same time period there has been 21 posts about the fleet.

jayunited

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:14 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
The configuration you're mentioning will remove a lav at door 3 and there will be changes made to seating and lavs at Door 3 to add 4 seats. That will reduce lavs on the ER Domestic to 7 while the 772As have 8 lavs.
Understanding that 1 of those 8 lavs on the 772A is in the nose, with longer haul flights, wouldn't seem a good idea to leave the Door 3 lavs as they are now to save mod cost? I understand that keeping the lav would put the ER at 10 fewer Y seats than the 772A.

The lav at door 3 has already been removed. Before when UA didn't have the lower lever crew rest there were 3 lavs locate at door 3, UA removed one of those lavs and replaced it with the ladder that allows the FA's to access the lower level bunker. If you go to UA.com and look at the seat map for 777-200 you will see a seat map for 48/221. This seat map version is showing 3 lavs located at door 3 but that configuration only existed on the PW 77Es that didn'thave the lower level bunker. UA did remove the lav on the right side of the aircraft at door 3 and this is how FA's now access the their rest area.

What isn't clear is if UA will leave the lower level bunker on these frames of pull them out. Personally I hope they pull them out because that bunker really takes away much needed cargo space.

xxcr

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:25 pm

ryanflyer wrote:
GmoneyCO wrote:
ryanflyer wrote:
Does anyone know which frames still have the old United business first seats? I know there are not too many left and I wanted to try and catch one

Business First seats as the the 2x2x2 seats found on the ex-Continental 777s and 787s or the older 2x4x2 found on the ex-United 777s?

If the 2x2x2 seats, almost all of the 787-8 and 787-9 planes have them still and ~40% of the ex-Continental 777s. If the seats found on the older 2x4x2 configs, there's only about a handful of those 777s left and they primarily operate out of ORD with all gone by this summer.

Only a few 772's have the old First Class seats that are now sold as business. Those should be retrofitted by the end of the summer 2020. All the 763's that had the 1-1-1 layout for F are long gone! they still have the 1-1-1 layout but with the new Polaris Seats.

coolbeans202

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:42 pm

United787 wrote:
UAL777UK wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

This is a perfect example of why I think the fleet and network discussions should be a separate thread. "yeogeo" posted some information on some major UA route news and in 14 hours there has been 1 response. In the same time period there has been 21 posts about the fleet.

That news is hardly UA specific, and is probably being discussed in the dedicated Coronavirus thread (I have not checked).

yeogeo

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:36 pm

United787 wrote:
UAL777UK wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

More clarity now: Cuts are not for one week but start occurring over the week of Feb 1- Feb 8:
UA ORD-PEK Cancelled from Feb 6
UA ORD-PVG Reduced from 7 to 4/weekly

Also cancelled by United: EWR-PEK, EWR-HKG & IAD-PEK.
Other reduced flights: EWR-PVG, SFO-HKG, SFO-PVG

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200129[/quote]

yeogeo

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:38 pm

coolbeans202 wrote:
United787 wrote:
UAL777UK wrote:

That news is hardly UA specific, and is probably being discussed in the dedicated Coronavirus thread (I have not checked).

The info I'm posting IS UA specific, so I don't see why it shouldn't be posted here... but people are free to ignore or to comment.

77H

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:38 am

fun2fly wrote:
jayunited wrote:
The layout will be 32 business first seats (IPTE remains), 72 economy plus seats, and 258 economy seats, for a total of 362 seats.

Before anyone ask I do not know if the other 19 HD frames will also be reconfigured with 32 business first seats instead of the current 28 and/or if those frames will finally get nose to tail AVOD in addition to their current PDE.

I'm sure UA's post flight surveys tell them these are their worst A/C. Putting in AVOD nose to tail would go a long way in making this score much better. I flew ORD>OGG in the fall for 8 hours and will fly DEN>OGG, HNL>ORD in April and it's a long haul balancing your tablet. I sure hope all go through the mod.

Anyone “balancing” their tablets on the HD 77A’s is doing so voluntarily as the HD 77A E seats all have clips that allow passengers to clip in their smartphone or tablet to the seat back in front of them. I’ve used this countless times and it works well.

77H

cosyr

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:59 am

77H wrote:
fun2fly wrote:
jayunited wrote:

Anyone “balancing” their tablets on the HD 77A’s is doing so voluntarily as the HD 77A E seats all have clips that allow passengers to clip in their smartphone or tablet to the seat back in front of them. I’ve used this countless times and it works well.

77H

The clips may work, but I have never yet succeeded in connecting my phone, or my wife's to the wireless entertainment. Both the app and the browser have errors every time. When I try to connect a laptop, I have been able to load some videos, but they skip and stop and are relatively unwatchable. Maybe I'm a rare exception, but as I have had these problems with several phones over as many years as United has offered wireless entertainment, I can't believe I am the only one. In seat screens are always preferable to me.

strfyr51

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:05 am

BNAMealer wrote:
jayunited wrote:
[
fun2fly wrote:
At the end of 2020, UA will not have any widebody aircraft on order. It was an impressive expansion for sure. 96x777, 63x787 and 54 767's total: 213 Units.

UA still has the A350 order.

Judging from how quickly Boeing was able to accommodate UA's top off order for the additional 789s I think if UA sees a need for more 789s, 788, or 78Xs Boeing would find a way to make it happen.

Having said that I believe outside of a replacement for the 763s, I think UA has to turn their attention to our narrowbody fleet and we've already seen this with the A321XLR order. We have quite a few Airbus and Boeing narrowbodies that are getting up in age and will need to be replace. Even with our current outstanding MAX8/9/10 orders by 2025-2026 UA will need a lot more narrowbodies to start replacing some of our oldest narrowbody aircraft ranging from our 126 seaters all the way up to our 179 seat aircraft.

Will we see UA go all in on the MAX (before the grounding I probably would have said yes, now I'm not so sure), or will their be a a A320/19NEO order, or could the A220-100/300 find its way into our fleet? Perhaps UA might decided to mix and match ordering a combination of both Boeing (MAX7/8s) and Airbus (A220, A320/19s).

IMHO, UA should ditch the 73Gs and go all in on the used A319/new A223 for their small narrowbody needs.

the 737's are flying just fine. I wouldn't hold my Breath waiting for that. I worked both the Airbus and 737's in MX Control. their performance is pretty equal and on Par. No reason to ditch the 737's and go with Airbus. Not for performance Nor Price.

codc10

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:16 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
codc10:

Thanks for that post. Can we assume something like the below with 4 mod lines in HKG and 3 in XMN?

GE 772 in mod, ERS dates: HKG#1-2/25, HKG#2-2/28, HKG#3-3/9, XMN#3-3/15
GE 772 7 more after current mods exit
GE 772 next in, ERS dates: HKG#1-4/25, HKG#2-4/28, #HKG3-5/9, #XMN3-5/15 (after 5/15 all would be completed or in mod)
GE 772 3rd set, ERS dates: HKG#1-6/25, HKG#2-6/28, HKG#3-7/9

PW 772 in mod, ERS dates: XMN#1-2/6(Domestic STC unit), XMN#2-3/8 Polaris unit
PW 772 5 more after current mods exit, (3 of 5 destined for Domestic config).
PW 772 next in, ERS dates: XMN#1-4/1, #XMN2-5/3 (assume for Polaris - after 5/3 only 3 aircraft to become domestic in ITPE)
PW 772 3rd set, ERS dates: XMN#1-5/29, XMN#2-7/3 (assume Domestic config.)
PW 772 4th set, ERS dates: XMN#3-7/10 (assume Domestic config - into mod following 5/15 GE 772 departure)

The above would have:
the last GE non-Polaris unit out of service 5/9 and all completed by 7/9
the last PW non-Polaris unit out of service 5/15 and all International completed by 5/3
All PW Domestic conversion done by 7/10 (assuming 3 non-STC units at 55 days for Domestic conversion)

I think that sounds about right!

calpsafltskeds

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:44 pm

Regarding the post I made on ERS dates, assuming N77006/N74007/N78008/N77019 in HKG mod and N77012 in XMN mod it appears there's an extra mod line and maybe the below is easier to read. Using 55 day mod duration.
Currently in mod by fleet type
(Mod position H=HKG, X=XMN) - Type -Aircraft - In Date - ERS - Ttl Days - aircraft left to complete

772GE to Polaris
H1 - 772GE - N77006 - 12/13/19 - 02/06/20 - 55 - 12
H1 - 772GE - Nxxxxx - 02/06/20 - 04/01/20 - 55 - 7
H1 - 772GE - Nxxxxx - 04/01/20 - 05/26/20 - 55 - 2

H2 - 772GE - N78008 - 01/01/20 - 02/25/20 - 55 - 11
H2 - 772GE - Nxxxxx - 02/25/20 - 04/20/20 - 55 - 6
H2 - 772GE - Nxxxxx - 04/20/20 - 06/14/20 - 55 - 1 (GE program complete 6/14/20)

H3 - 772GE - N74007 - 01/04/20 - 02/28/20 - 55 - 10
H3 - 772GE - Nxxxxx - 02/28/20 - 04/23/20 - 55 - 5

H4 - 772GE - N77019 - 01/20/20 - 03/15/20 - 55 - 9
H4 - 772GE - Nxxxxx - 03/15/20 - 05/11/20 - 55 - 4

X2 - 772GE - N77012 - 01/26/20 - 03/21/20 - 55 - 8
X2 - 772GE - Nxxxxx - 03/21/20 - 05/17/20 - 55 - 3

772PW to Polaris
X1 - 772PW - N797UA - 12/30/19 - 02/23/20 - 55 - 3
X1 - 772PW - NxxxUA - 02/23/20 - 04/18/20 - 55 - 2
X1 - 772PW - NxxxUA - 04/18/20 - 06/12/20 - 55 - 1 (PW program complete 6/12/20)

772PW to Domestic
H5 - 772PW - N222UA - 11/30/20 - 02/06/20 - 68? - 4 Domestic
H5 - 772PW - NxxxUA - 02/06/20 - 04/01/20 - 55 - 3 Domestic
H5 - 772PW - NxxxUA - 04/01/20 - 05/26/20 - 55 - 2 Domestic
H3 - 772PW - NxxxUA - 04/23/20 - 06/17/20 - 55 - 1 Domestic (Domestic program complete 6/17/20)

cosyr

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:09 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
Regarding the post I made on ERS dates, assuming N77006/N74007/N78008/N77019 in HKG mod and N77012 in XMN mod it appears there's an extra mod line and maybe the below is easier to read. Using 55 day mod duration.
(Mod position H=HKG, X=XMN) - Type -Aircraft - In Date - ERS - Ttl Days - aircraft left to complete

772GE to Polaris

H2 - 772GE - Nxxxxx - 04/20/20 - 06/14/20 - 55 - 1 (GE program complete 6/14/20)

772PW to Polaris
X1 - 772PW - NxxxUA - 04/18/20 - 06/12/20 - 55 - 1 (PW program complete 6/12/20)

772PW to Domestic
H3 - 772PW - NxxxUA - 04/23/20 - 06/17/20 - 55 - 1 Domestic (Domestic program complete 6/17/20)

I'm surprised to see it is younger 772PW's going to Domestic. With their slightly different layout (32J/Personal TV's) do we think these might be based in GUM more so than HNL, and meant for longer/Intl routes in the Pacific, or will these just be randomly mixed in the schedule with the other 19 nonER's?

FSDan

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:32 pm

cosyr wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:

772GE to Polaris

772PW to Polaris

772PW to Domestic

I'm surprised to see it is younger 772PW's going to Domestic. With their slightly different layout (32J/Personal TV's) do we think these might be based in GUM more so than HNL, and meant for longer/Intl routes in the Pacific, or will these just be randomly mixed in the schedule with the other 19 nonER's?

See discussion slightly upthread. The thought is that they'll be used for ORD-HNL/OGG (the two longest HD 772 routes) and a few others that rotate well with those routes.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

jayunited

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:02 pm

cosyr wrote:

The longest route these HD 77A fleet currently flies is ORD-HNL-ORD. I'm not sure why GUM would need these aircraft to be based their.

Also If UA does decided to keep the lower level FA crew rest that does more harm than good on a route like HNL-GUM. While this route could benefit from the higher ZFW of the 77E that FA crew rest takes up valuable cargo space. So although you might get rid of the weight restrictions you most certainly create another problem because instead of having 14 positions in the rear cargo compartment you only have 10 and routinely HNL-GUM needs 14 positions for just bags. Leaving the crew rest mean less cargo can be carried.

avtcle

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:31 pm

Ex-Vueling A320 N4912U now United arriving in CLE from KEF tomorrow. UA2715

ual763

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:20 pm

Interesting tidbit from United a few hours ago. Anyways, United will be moving all operations to the brand new T3 at PHX instead of the old and run-down T2 they were previously operating out of. Move will be complete by Feb. 3rd according to their Twitter post.
From flying to the NOTAM office

wn676

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:39 am

ual763 wrote:
Interesting tidbit from United a few hours ago. Anyways, United will be moving all operations to the brand new T3 at PHX instead of the old and run-down T2 they were previously operating out of. Move will be complete by Feb. 3rd according to their Twitter post.

UA is moving to the north concourse which is a rehab and expansion of the original structure, as opposed to the south concourse which is a brand new structure. Either way though it should be a vast improvement for customers over their current location in Terminal 2.

The move will start the night of the 3rd with RON arrivals at T3. The first departures will be the morning of the 4th.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

calpsafltskeds

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:09 am

I took a look at the HKG and XMN mod lines and put together a spreadsheet that' available here
https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfle ... d-schedule
It shows remaining aircraft without Polaris (and 4 domestic 772ERs) and the mod lines at XMN and HKG.
The estimates assume a continued nose to tail program with average mod times. I'll update it when aircraft are completed.

Obviously estimates and mod lines can change, so this would need to be adjusted when each aircraft exits and enters Mod. Let me know if changes need to be made.

I don't know if they have different positions at HKG, but I cont 7 mod lines at HKG and current 2 at XMN. Mixing and matching fleets with Mod times estimates would mean:
772GE - Estimated last flying in old config 4/20, program complete 6/14
772PW - Estimated last flying in old config 4/23, Polaris program completed 6/12, Domestic program complete 6/17
763 - Estimated last flying in old config 5/12, High J Polaris program completed 6/30, 30J Polaris program completed 7/14
NOTE: assume High J converted first, then 30J version.
764 - No tracking or projections, but program could start in May understanding UA may wait until after Summer season.

calpsafltskeds

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:42 am

77W:
N2534U sked to exit XMN maint 862/2Feb

789:
N29975 sked delivery flight 2710/31Jan CHS-ORD. First 789 with Polaris/PP.

UAinAUS

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:48 am

UAX Update:

CR5:
N165GJ ferried MLB for interior mod
N615QX (2002 build) entered STL to begin mod process, will be future N520GJ
N369CA (2002 build) exited AMA in EvoBlu livery, at STL awaiting interior mod, will be future N522GJ

qf789

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:13 am

United 789 N29975 has been delivered CHS-ORD (31 Jan)

Seen in the hangar at ORD

https://twitter.com/lammdogg/status/122 ... 99527?s=20

https://twitter.com/lammdogg/status/122 ... 64708?s=20
Forum Moderator

VC10er

Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:27 am

The livery is starting to feel like it was actually a better job than my first impression. This 789 looks rather beautiful and says “New Fresh” but for those average consumers who have no attachment to the “tulip”- this will work for masses.
It’s more interesting and unique feelings than Delta or AA, - distinctively DIFFERENT. Which is good.
UNITED’s 1k and GS kits are arriving and they are beautifully designed.

I have A LOT of tickets already bought this year so far, everything on a 77W or 787-10, in Polaris. But 2 connections on a 737-800 (the dawg of narrow bodies) - they will be jarring in in contrast. Had my connections been on a newly refurbished (used) A319, it would have been an end to end CONSISTENT UNITED experience.

I’m hoping that when ALL WIDE BODIES are finished with mods, UNITED will update the existing 737 fleet interiors! (Does DL or AA have any ac that are equally worn and dated inside?)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

FlyHossD

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:09 am

VC10er wrote:
But 2 connections on a 737-800 (the dawg of narrow bodies) - they will be jarring in in contrast. Had my connections been on a newly refurbished (used) A319, it would have been an end to end CONSISTENT UNITED experience.

So you're comparing an aircraft that hasn't been refurbished to one that has? I'm not at all surprised that the refurbished one meets with your approval.

And your luck is apparently worse that mine. My recent flights on UA 737s - both 800s and 900s - have been in good shape.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

calpsafltskeds

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:08 am

320:
N4912U Ex Vuelving unit entered CLE 2715/31Jan, storage or moving to GYR?

752:
N19141 entered MIA 2759/30Jan for 16/160 config.

flight152

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:35 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
320:
N4912U Ex Vuelving unit entered CLE 2715/31Jan, storage or moving to GYR?

752:
N19141 entered MIA 2759/30Jan for 16/160 config.

What’s going on with these Vueling aircraft? Why through Cleveland? Do they plan on putting these aircraft in service?

VC10er

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:16 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
VC10er wrote:
But 2 connections on a 737-800 (the dawg of narrow bodies) - they will be jarring in in contrast. Had my connections been on a newly refurbished (used) A319, it would have been an end to end CONSISTENT UNITED experience.

So you're comparing an aircraft that hasn't been refurbished to one that has? I'm not at all surprised that the refurbished one meets with your approval.

And your luck is apparently worse that mine. My recent flights on UA 737s - both 800s and 900s - have been in good shape.

FlyHossD, your first paragraph comes off as a bit snarky. I don’t know it that was your intent, or your point? But I will give you the benefit of the doubt as tone is so often lost in a written post.

YES, I was comparing a newly refurbished aircraft to one that has not been. A newly refurbished UA (used) A319 that received the full treatment, with the new beautifully designed and executed interiors vs an old 737-800, and are 2 very different United experiences. Most notably in the first class cabin. While I find that UA keeps the old 738 interiors clean, and UA (the FA’s) do a great job, the 738 is unattractive and ordinary looking aesthetically and is fitted with the most uncomfortable generic First Class seat. The UA 738 (and to a lesser degree the 739) feels like it is almost like a no name charter 737 with no branding or branded look and feel.

I’m sure the 737MAX’s delivered with the new PriestmanGood design must be equally, or even more beautiful than the new (but used) refurbished A319’s given the Boeing Sky Ceiling. (But I never got the chance to fly the 737MAX before it was grounded)

The point I was making in my post was that I was hoping that AFTER UA is finished with enormous job of refurbishing the all the wide bodies, that UA will do “something” to update the interior’s of the 737-8/9 for the sake of having a more consistent and cohesive (new) United Branded look. Doing so would further help United’s NEW Brand image and reputation. M

For the second time, 3 weeks from now I’m going from EWR to Las Vegas by flying the 787-10 transcon in a real Polaris seat to LAX, then transferring to a 738 to Las Vegas.
It’s a very big brand experience disconnect. One long leg in a beautiful new 787-10, then onto a very short flight on a 737 that doesn’t feel like I’m on the “same” airline.

I would probably feel like I just flew the new and great United if my short leg was operated on a CRJ550.

I realize poor UA has been hamstrung by the 737MAX grownding. Had the 737MAX fiasco not have happened, I think UA would have had the slack in their system to refurbish in whole or in part the preexisting 737-8/3 fleet.
The preexisting A319/20’s which got a partial refurbishment are “close enough” to the FRESH and new design only because the Pentagram designed silver & blue is close enough for most folks not to notice much. Even the 73G with the new First seat is a notch above.

I would understand given the size and age of the 737-8/9 UA decided not to give them the FULL treatment (due to cost), because I’ve been told the refreshed 753’s look far better than before. I’ve flown on the “freshened up” 752 First Class cabin, and while there are sill very old elements from the old 752, the newly freshened interiors deliver a much less shabby interior, and more in keeping with the entire United brand overhaul.

So, my last question was do Delta and AA have some aircraft that look old too, and not better aligned with their cabin refreshes?

hhslax2

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:18 pm

VC10er wrote:
So, my last question was do Delta and AA have some aircraft that look old too, and not better aligned with their cabin refreshes?

AA has quite a few narrow body planes that have not been refurbished. Most of the fleet from AW/US still needs updating and the addition of a standard main cabin extra area. The 737-800 "oasis" refurbishment essentially stopped when the Max got grounded. Only a handful have been refurbished since the grounding.

jayunited

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:11 pm

VC10er wrote:
I’m sure the 737MAX’s delivered with the new PriestmanGood design must be equally, or even more beautiful than the new (but used) refurbished A319’s given the Boeing Sky Ceiling. (But I never got the chance to fly the 737MAX before it was grounded)

The point I was making in my post was that I was hoping that AFTER UA is finished with enormous job of refurbishing the all the wide bodies, that UA will do “something” to update the interior’s of the 737-8/9 for the sake of having a more consistent and cohesive (new) United Branded look. Doing so would further help United’s NEW Brand image and reputation. M

For the second time, 3 weeks from now I’m going from EWR to Las Vegas by flying the 787-10 transcon in a real Polaris seat to LAX, then transferring to a 738 to Las Vegas.
It’s a very big brand experience disconnect. One long leg in a beautiful new 787-10, then onto a very short flight on a 737 that doesn’t feel like I’m on the “same” airline.

What exactly do you want people to say? I'm not trying to be disrespectful and as an employee I do appreciate your continued business but what do you want people to say? UA can not take on refurbishing the entire fleet all at once. We are currently in the middle of Polaris/PE, refreshing the entire A319 fleet, A320 fleet, 753 fleet, RR 752 fleet, aircraft out of service for paint, aircraft out of service for maintenance (including heavy maintenance), MAX fleet which should have been around 35+ frames grounded. But after all of that you want to know when UA will refresh the 737-8/9 fleet?

Most passengers believe there is an endless supply of aircraft in an airlines fleet, but you don't strike me as most passengers. You know there are a limited number of aircraft in the entire fleet, you know from your own post the projects UA is currently engaged in fleet wide. I could understand your displeasure if UA was not investing in its fleet but we are. I also understand the need that everyone has which is they what everything done yesterday, and everyone wants to fly on a new aircraft or a newly refurbished aircraft.

However, its not possible to tackle all these projects at the same time and still run an airline. UA still has to operate thousands of mainline flights every day to do this we need aircraft. UA knows the older 737-8/9s need attention and will get around to it but if you are looking for an exact start date as to when they will be refurbished as far as I know there isn't one at this point in time.

codc10

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:25 pm

UA has major interior refurb plans for the bulk of the 737-800/900 fleets (not sure it includes -700s). That program hasn’t started and most probably won’t until the MAX situation is sorted out.

So, until then, no changes to 738 interiors.

airplanedriver6

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:28 pm

codc10 wrote:
UA has major interior refurb plans for the bulk of the 737-800/900 fleets (not sure it includes -700s). That program hasn’t started and most probably won’t until the MAX situation is sorted out.

Indeed.

It was publicly announced at the media day last October that the narrow body cabins would be getting a refresh including new, larger, overhead bins. For example, on the 737-900 this means room for an additional 65 bags which would virtually eliminate the last minute chaos of cabin checked luggage.

As with everything else, I'm assuming the MAX fiasco will have an impact on the schedule.

AMollenhauer9

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:53 pm

My dad sent me a pic of N587UA today from SFO. I know there's no sense in painting it with limited lifespan left, but this bird is in bad shape.

http://imgur.com/gallery/xjJ9NSL

cosyr

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:57 pm

AMollenhauer9 wrote:
My dad sent me a pic of N587UA today from SFO. I know there's no sense in painting it with limited lifespan left, but this bird is in bad shape.

There's always sense. That condition makes most passengers nervous, and that is just a poor representation of a brand.

SXDFC

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:52 am

AMollenhauer9 wrote:

In some cases like this all it takes is a two day visit to the paint shop to fix spots like this, that's of course if that's the worst of the paint damage on this 757.. However I'd imagine most of the passengers are more concerned about being on time, or making a connection rather than what the paint looks like.. They may make a comment about it, but often its forgotten about by the time they land..

SXDFC

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:55 am

codc10 wrote:

So, until then, no changes to 738 interiors.

Will they do what AA did with "Oasis" interiors or will they get new side panels too? I've flown on the Delta 757 with the Sky interior retrofit, and it looks quite nice.

VC10er

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:49 am

jayunited wrote:
VC10er wrote:

What exactly do you want people to say? I'm not trying to be disrespectful and as an employee I do appreciate your continued business but what do you want people to say? UA can not take on refurbishing the entire fleet all at once. We are currently in the middle of Polaris/PE, refreshing the entire A319 fleet, A320 fleet, 753 fleet, RR 752 fleet, aircraft out of service for paint, aircraft out of service for maintenance (including heavy maintenance), MAX fleet which should have been around 35+ frames grounded. But after all of that you want to know when UA will refresh the 737-8/9 fleet?

Most passengers believe there is an endless supply of aircraft in an airlines fleet, but you don't strike me as most passengers. You know there are a limited number of aircraft in the entire fleet, you know from your own post the projects UA is currently engaged in fleet wide. I could understand your displeasure if UA was not investing in its fleet but we are. I also understand the need that everyone has which is they what everything done yesterday, and everyone wants to fly on a new aircraft or a newly refurbished aircraft.

However, its not possible to tackle all these projects at the same time and still run an airline. UA still has to operate thousands of mainline flights every day to do this we need aircraft. UA knows the older 737-8/9s need attention and will get around to it but if you are looking for an exact start date as to when they will be refurbished as far as I know there isn't one at this point in time.

Jayunited,
Didn't you read the paragraph that starts with?:

”The point I was trying to make”

From there onwards, and from my original post I FULLY ACKNOWLEDGE THE FACT (MORE THAN ONCE) that United is in the process of an absolutely huge undertaking doing the entire enormous WB fleet AND ”hamstrung” to do anything right now with NB’s due largely to the 737MAX debacle, to do anything with the ”enormous” 737-800 (to a lesser degree the -900). I don't expect them to do anything ”NOW” and didn't imply that. Or if I did I did not mean to.

For example: way, way back (before the A321XLR order) when I had inquired about the shabby state of First Class on the 757-200’s, and and asked ”are there plans to do something to spruce them up because no replacements were in sight?” and asked things like ”could they take newer Diamond seats off the 787’s when the time comes?” Would they fit?” I was told here they wouldn't fit. But no mention ever about plans to do something because they were seriously bad shape. Then Voila! many months someone here posted ”UA is going to fix up First Class on the 752’s and then listed the planned changes. (and I still don't know what a ”unibrow” is (in the airline world!) but BRAVO, while not really ”different” the new F on the 752’s look nice again!

So, you kindly replied in part to my question: paraphrasing: ”United management is aware that the current 737-8/900’s are in need but nothing will happen until all the major Polaris/PE refurbishment's are fully completed”

I am far more than aware, I have experienced every facet of every change on United over the past few years (be it aircraft interiors, the beautiful gate and check-in counters with white & chrome computers, Polaris lounges and even the new label design on the angled mounted hand soap bottles!)

So, had someone simply said anything like ”once the MAX’s are flying in decent numbers, the old 737 fleet will get the new F seat, carpeting and new front bulkheads with signage by 2025” that would have thrilled me! Or ”the oldest 737-800’s will probably stay the way they are because they will be very close to being retired by the time the all the MAX’S are flying so really it would be a waste of money” - oh! OK, I didn't realize they were that old” OR ”UA is only planning to replace the F seats and nothing else due to their age”

Whatever info is cool with me! But the current 737’s so rarely ever discussed at all! Once an very, very long time ago someone posted something about CO selecting the least expensive, off the shelf F seats for the 737-800’s as CO was cash strapped at the time they ordered them (and I don't even know if that's true!

LAST: Given how so many people knock themselves out to talk about how amazing and so much better Delta is (I don't hear anyone ever tooting AA’s horn apart from their 3 class transcontinental Airbus’) I wanted to know ”does Delta or AA have issues with old interiors? I don't know because #1 I only fly United, and #2 I don't follow any threads of theirs as much as this one. I will if a new thread appears about big news from DL or AA but I am not following along as I do with United.

YES, as a massive frequent United flier, on domestic trips, if I'm about to pay for a First Class seat, I will, if possible fly an Airbus, 73G or 737-900, E175, CRJ550 and naturally if I find a 752! But I'm far less happy flying EWR to DEN on a 737-800, but ill pay for First anyway because I've flown waaaay too much in my life (but loved every minute) and it's the ONE indulgence I permit myself.

calpsafltskeds

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:02 am

319 new configuration:
N820UA sked to exit SFO 1549/3Feb in 12F/36E+/78Y

320:
N4912U sked to enter GYR 2714/2FEb, storage or Induction - Former Vuelving

738:
N77295 entered AMA 2744/1Feb for EvoBlu livery
N87531 Sked to exit AMA 2745/1Feb in EvoBlu livery

767-300 Paint:
N648UA sked to enter AMA 2742/2Feb for EvoBlu livery
N649UA sked to exit AMA 2743/2Feb in EvoBlu livery

77W:
N2737U entered HKG 877/31Jan for maint

KFTG

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:48 am

The ex-Vueling A320s were purchased for parts.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:42 pm

The fleet changes, fleet status, and repaint status posts at the start of this thread have been updated.

✈️ atcsundevil

LGeneReese

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:12 pm

78J
N12012.... What I presume is C1 occurring at this moment (2Feb)... Shows RfD on spreadsheet already though... :scratchchin:

x1234

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:24 pm

How is the payload of the B787-10 on SFO-AKL? Is it at the aircraft range limits? I find it FINALLY that UA has their Polaris 1-2-1 product on both SYD & AKL.

avi8

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:35 pm

I wonder what’s going to happen with all those wide body spares in light of the temporary suspension of the China flights. Maintenance perhaps?
avi8