Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CPS001

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:19 am

cosyr wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:
President just announced no flight from Europe for 30 days, England excepted.

President, as in Kirby? Is this announced somewhere? I can't find it on United's website.
Trump

fun2fly

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:26 am

What the heel do the airlines do now. Unprecedented. Where do you park them? Best of luck for all UA employees

calpsafltskeds

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:24 am

Would think LHR service could be busy. Maybe UA will move larger aircraft to LHR.
Question on LHR traffic that originated in Europe, is that banned or subject to quarantine?

Parking aircraft options.
Leave some in Europe.
EWR could close gates 112 around to 126 and use gates and ramp for storage. Ballpark. Can pack them in if placed forward and backwards.
IAD looks like a large hardstand south of gates. Maybe part of the southern portion of the south satellite concourse could be closed and aircraft parked on gates and behind aircraft. Would require aircraft to enter leave active gates from only one side.
CLE. surround the closed commuter terminal.
IAH. Close gates C30-C37 and park on gates and ramp.
LAX, lots of concrete there.
VCV, GYR.

ILikeTrains

Re: United to fly the 737-10 with a premium Configuration

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:44 am

hereandthere41 wrote:
Okcflyer wrote:
VC10er wrote:

I could probably guess why United felt the need for a sizable fleet of LARGE high density aircraft, and AA and DL did not. But, I would be guessing! And it’s not as if United needed 4 or 6 of them, I believe it’s “19” of them?
And while the “First Class” lie flat is a quite old version of lie flats, no storage and tight, depending on the trip length...it’s FAR better than an upright chair. (Oddly, in bed mode I find them to be quite comfortable) and I’m happy to get one after a long hard day, even if it’s only ORD to EWR.

So, does anyone know how the idea for them came to be? Was it born out of necessity or them being odd ducks vs other 772’s?

Why wouldn’t AA or DL want something similar between hubs? Is it that their route systems don’t need them? Or, they didn’t have the capacity in their fleets?

Short, bullet-version:

-UA is the only USA carrier with 772 models (not ER’s), the earliest range-limited models.
-UA since the very beginning, UA has ran these in HD/Hawaii configs from west coast, which is an area they’re strong, especially SFO.
-UA was in the worst-position mainline fleet wise several years ago. Converting internationally configured birds from short haul East-Coast to West Europe routes to the current HD format was the quickest way to boost the domestic mainline fleet. New aircraft deliveries would take years to build.

If working from a clean sheet of paper, It’s not a winning strategy and it won’t last forever.

In UA’s case, the only other reasonable option for these would be scrapping. Going the HD route provides better outcomes than the alternative. And so here we are.

Reality is, two 739’s burn almost the same amount of fuel as a single 772. The 772 carries almost the same number of pax. (28 lay flat vs 40 domestic first being the biggest difference.

For yield and flexibility, the 2 739’s is a far better solution.

Widebodies are heavy. Heavier per pax than NB’s. They’re generally less rugged for heavy cycle counts (domestic use) and all in maintenance costs are more than what 2 NB run. (My opinion, I don’t have figures to back this statement)

So the advantage of the HD format is with slot limitations, cargo if valuable, and the fact the 777HD’s can stretch to 8-9 hours range vs 6 of current NB’s.

Reality is, if this downturn is prolonged, this fleet will shrink hella fast. It’s more less optimistic utilization of existing assets when the domestic NB fleet is already too small driving the need.

With the 4 ER’s being added, there will help on Hawaii flying from East Coast where currently utilization of international config is suboptimal.

Slight correction: The 'A' market 777s were NOT used for HI routes from the beginning. They launched on June 7, 1995 from LHR. They were flying between IAD/ORD/MIA and Europe/South America on mostly 8-9 hour missions. Before UA had HD777s, they had HD767s in Hawaii. How do I know? I was there for all of it, including the LHR launch.

Weird, I thought the original requirements were Chicago-Europe, Chicago-Hawaii and Denver-Hawaii.

1989worstyear

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:00 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
Would think LHR service could be busy. Maybe UA will move larger aircraft to LHR.
Question on LHR traffic that originated in Europe, is that banned or subject to quarantine?

Leave some in Europe.
EWR could close gates 112 around to 126 and use gates and ramp for storage. Ballpark. Can pack them in if placed forward and backwards.
IAD looks like a large hardstand south of gates. Maybe part of the southern portion of the south satellite concourse could be closed and aircraft parked on gates and behind aircraft. Would require aircraft to enter leave active gates from only one side.
VCV, GYR.

I would hope that parking fees are being waived or reduced for UA and others going through this awful year. Could the Feds help?
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

codc10

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:37 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:

Leave some in Europe.
VCV, GYR.

UA isn't going to close gates to park airplanes, nor will any be left overseas. There are plenty of remote positions around the system to park airplanes on a short-term basis, and if longer (months) storage is necessary, they'll go to the desert.

Parking fees are so, so low on UA's list of priorities.

As far as traffic originating in EU and transiting LHR, attempting to fly to the US, it depends on the citizenship of the traveler. If a US national/permanent resident, they will be allowed entry, but could perhaps be subject to self-quarantine or similar if coming from a "hot zone". Health screenings might be imposed. Non-US nationals traveling from the EU within the last 14 days will (ideally for the airline) be denied boarding, or, at worst, denied entry to the US and returned to the country of origin at the airline's expense plus penalty.

1989worstyear wrote:
I would hope that parking fees are being waived or reduced for UA and others going through this awful year. Could the Feds help?

2020 has become an awful year... but not the worst!

UAinAUS

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:27 am

UAX Update:

CR5:
N153GJ entered AMA for EvoBlu livery
N521GJ exited AMA in EvoBlu livery, at STL
N378CA has been reregistered as N524GJ, exited MLB, at STL awaiting service entry
N653CA (2003 build) entered MLB for interior mod, new tail number not yet assigned

LGeneReese

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 am

ericm2031 wrote:
To clarify about UA not taking any deliveries, it is only for aircraft they are unable to obtain financing for, which they said they aircraft financing is still doing really well...they just obtained financing for a 787 last week.

I’m wondering how many aircraft in the delivery schedule have been financed?
N2352U, the last 77W, has been sitting at PAE, RfD for awhile now. N29978, a 789, is almost ready at CHS. Both I presume have the $ sorted and will deliver. However, N13013, 78J, is almost ready to roll off the FAL and N24979 is just starting FA plus the eight 789s to follow are not yet

tphuang

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:57 am

I'm starting to think Kirby's conservative scenario now need to be looked at as baseline scenario for flight demand.

calpsafltskeds

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:04 pm

319:
N890UA entered LCQ 2733/11Mar, expect 12F mod

772:
N78005 entered AMA 2764/10Mar for EvoBlu livery

77W:
N2136U sked to enter HKG maint 2701/13Mar
N2737U sked to exit HKG maint 2688/13Mar

jayunited

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:22 pm

LGeneReese wrote:
N2352U, the last 77W, has been sitting at PAE, RfD for awhile now. N29978, a 789, is almost ready at CHS. Both I presume have the $ sorted and will deliver. However, N13013, 78J, is almost ready to roll off the FAL and N24979 is just starting FA plus the eight 789s to follow are not yet

Kirby covered this in the town hall (I'm not sure if you have access to see it) but during the town hall even with Kirbys doomsday scenario which now may become reality he did state UA is still taking delivery of all remaining widebodies, for some the check has already been written, others the financing has been secured and was secured long before COVID-19.

Again most most expect the fallout from COVID-19 to last around 12-18 months, Kirby stated if we were looking a long term fallout (3-5 years) then UA would enact another plan (good to know they already have another plan) but by all accounts most people expect the economy and the industry to recover from this within 12-18 months.

adamblang

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:47 pm

As with everything the president says, there's a large gulf between what he said and what's actually being implemented.

From DHS.gov:
Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.

So U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents, and their families can still move freely between the Schengen countries and the U.S. And Foreign nationals can still leave the United States. I imagine non-Schengen foreign nationals can probably transit Schengen countries if they transit without entering the country.

But this is still a huge shift in the market.

LGeneReese

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:05 pm

jayunited wrote:
LGeneReese wrote:

Kirby covered this in the town hall (I'm not sure if you have access to see it) but during the town hall even with Kirbys doomsday scenario which now may become reality he did state UA is still taking delivery of all remaining widebodies, for some the check has already been written, others the financing has been secured and was secured long before COVID-19.

Again most most expect the fallout from COVID-19 to last around 12-18 months, Kirby stated if we were looking a long term fallout (3-5 years) then UA would enact another plan (good to know they already have another plan) but by all accounts most people expect the economy and the industry to recover from this within 12-18 months.

I’ve seen the extremely short snippet on Flying Together.... if there’s a full length vid I don’t know if I have access to it. My question was based on replies #978 and 996 above which suggested UA putting some new deliveries on hold for awhile... Thank You for the clarification on the matter. :bigthumbsup:

jayunited

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:27 pm

LGeneReese wrote:
I’ve seen the extremely short snippet on Flying Together.... if there’s a full length vid I don’t know if I have access to it. My question was based on replies #978 and 996 above which suggested UA putting some new deliveries on hold for awhile... Thank You for the clarification on the matter. :bigthumbsup:

Yes people are starting to put some false information out there or making their own assumptions based on what they are seeing. This is just another reason why the town hall meeting was so important. I know UA did webcast the entire town hall but for those who could not see it live either in person or online I wish they would put the town hall in its entirety on Flying Together for those employees who did not have a chance to see it live. Kirby cover so much and he really laid out the facts and didn't sugar coat anything including his so called doomsday scenario where he looking at a short term 70% reduction in demand. Judging from the unprecedented move Trump just announced Kirby's numbers of 70% reduction may come true. He even noted other he has been meeting with other airlines, major hotel chains, and other travel industry related CEO's since COVID-19 became major news and just 3 weeks ago there were some who thought Kirby was crazy, they didn't believe it would get this bad here in the U.S.. (Again I didn't think it would get this bad here in the U.S.. Thank god I'm not the CEO of UA we would be in trouble). Kirby isn't looking so crazy this morning.

Like I said in a earlier post it is really surreal to see UA leadership prepared and have plans already in place to respond to this drop in demand.

mmahpeel

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:40 pm

The full town hall is now up on flyingtogether.

ryanflyer

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:19 pm

Just got a notification that there’s a United 757 headed to Tupelo tomorrow. They’ve only received the Legacy United birds that are in the C28Y144 config. Anyone know the tail?

jayunited

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:28 pm

ryanflyer wrote:
Just got a notification that there’s a United 757 headed to Tupelo tomorrow. They’ve only received the Legacy United birds that are in the C28Y144 config. Anyone know the tail?

N546UA is the tail number that I see in TUP

The remaining tails are all showing in service, those tail numbers are N598UA, N587UA, N588UA, N589UA, N590UA, 595UA, N596UA, and N597UA.

UNDTanner

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:39 pm

Hello,

I am arriving in Zurich from Muscat, Oman on March 14th. Planned to leave for U.S. on March 15th on United Airlines. I am a U.S. citizen. Is United going to cancel all flights to Zurich after 13th to U.S. I can't find info on their website after announcement. I read U.S. citizens can still travel back to U.S., but I am wondering if airlines will still fly from Continental Europe. Should I try to book a one way from Zurich to London and then get a ticket out of London or fly to Canada out of Zurich.

Thanks for the help or advice!! I have tried calling UA and no one will answer after hours and messaged on Facebook with no response. Just looking for advice if I should wait until the 15th in Zurich or get myself a one way ticket to LHR.

It is my first time on site so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

MSPNWA

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:41 pm

ryanflyer wrote:

UA2711 EWR-TUP is showing as N510UA on FR24. Just shy of its 30th birthday.

calpsafltskeds

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:48 pm

N546UA sent to TUP in Jan.
Your missing N502UA, N510UA, N512UA and N568UA.
752:
N510UA sked TUP 2711/13Mar, expect scrap.

Of the PW752s most have ViaSat KA WiFi, but not including N510UA/N512UA/N595UA, which have gogo and maybe are the next to exit.
N568UA has been in MIA since 2/10 - expecting ViaSat WiFi.

LGeneReese

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:50 pm

mmahpeel wrote:
The full town hall is now up on flyingtogether.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work on iPad....

KVH68

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:48 pm

From what I have been told, the Company is planning on performing deferred maintenance on aircrafts during this reduction in flying.

RyanairGuru

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:38 pm

UNDTanner wrote:
Hello,

I am arriving in Zurich from Muscat, Oman on March 14th. Planned to leave for U.S. on March 15th on United Airlines. I am a U.S. citizen. Is United going to cancel all flights to Zurich after 13th to U.S. I can't find info on their website after announcement. I read U.S. citizens can still travel back to U.S., but I am wondering if airlines will still fly from Continental Europe. Should I try to book a one way from Zurich to London and then get a ticket out of London or fly to Canada out of Zurich.

Thanks for the help or advice!! I have tried calling UA and no one will answer after hours and messaged on Facebook with no response. Just looking for advice if I should wait until the 15th in Zurich or get myself a one way ticket to LHR.

It is my first time on site so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

If United cancel your flight from ZRH it is on them to reaccommodate you, be that on LX metal, LX to LHR and then UA from there, or whatever. I personally wouldn't be considering alternatives until your flight is definitely cancelled.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

United1

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:53 am

Pulling this from UAs website:

We will continue to fly our regular schedule from Europe to the U.S. through March 20. After that, we expect to fly daily to Zurich, Brussels, Paris, Amsterdam, Manchester and Edinburgh, maintain multiple flights to Frankfurt and Munich, and operate 18 daily flights to and from London, three to Dublin and four flights a week to Lisbon, all while continuing to monitor demand. Schedule changes will take place this Saturday, March 14. At that time, customers will be able to check the status of flights beyond March 20 on united.com or the mobile app.

Looks like UA will continue to operate a portion of its network to Europe past March 20th. I'm sure this is mostly to allow US citizens to return home initialy but also looks like UA is still seeing some level of demand.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

VC10er

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:03 am

jayunited wrote:
tphuang wrote:
At times like this, UA's actions will be very prudent. Keep in mind, I do believe that UA is hurting from this more than AA due to the fact that UA's strength Asia and continental Europe are the most effected spots. That's also why strong leadership is needed at this time. And I think UA employees have a lot to thank for with Kirby in charge.

I've been with UA since 1996 and I have to admit yesterday I was very impressed with Kirby. He was prepared to answer Wall Streets questions and he also came prepared to answer the economical questions asked at yesterday's town hall.

Having worked for UA through the bankruptcy years, SARS, and the 2008-2009 recession I've become accustom to UA executives being unprepared for events like this. As a result they can't answer any of Wall Streets questions and they basically avoid explaining anything to employees resulting in UA getting caught in a downward spiral and we are always the last to recover.

Listening to what Kirby stated yesterday although UA could have never predicted this event it is nice to know UA is prepared, and we have a great financial team in place here. Also he made it clear UA isn't just standing by we are actively taking steps within the financial side of the business making sure UA remains on sound financial footing through this crisis.

As an employee it is kind of surreal seeing this because we are not use to having this type of leadership here at UA. Even when I talk to employees who have 30, 40, even 50 years they all seem hopeful that history will not repeat itself here at UA because we finally have a leadership team that first and foremost cares about United Airlines and secondly they seem to know what they are doing.

JayUnited, from being thrust onto United by Landor’s corporate contact back in 1991, and coming to know, get accustomed to UA, then watching change in so many ways; 44 747’s and bunches of 727’s, 737’s, 762’s and 763’s then livery changes, flying only out of JFK, NBC in the Air, Channel 9, P.S., the introduction of the first 777, Airbuses, Ted, THE FIRST lie flats in Business (the first and odd looking First Class bed seats, plastic wicker trays with cassette tapes, then the Pentagram First Class seats and ”Shades of Blue” livery, growth, 9/11, bankruptcy, out of JFK, - United was a roller coaster, but somehow with SO MANY CHANGES, good and BAD, I must say that something about United, something at it's core made UNITED a very resilient airline in the past 3 decades!

I have a friend who's family’s patriarchs, about 3 or 4 in a row were all UNITED passed down from father to son 3 or 4 times...that family has United pumping in their veins and minds for generations: and you best stay clear of any story like ”I once flew United and there was a fly in my soup” or there won't be dessert for you!

I truly believe that for many, Unitedness was or is a way of life. Something that's never ever discussed!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

calpsafltskeds

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:03 pm

752:
N505UA was noticed to Ferry VCV-TUP 11/15/19 for scrap

763:
N644UA sked to exit MCO maint 2735/13Mar

772:
N783UA showing XMN 2700/15Mar for Polaris/PP, currently no return flight from XMN, but N77012 might be ready

789:
N27957 entered VCV 2738/12Mar for EvoBlu livery

GmoneyCO

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:23 pm

319:
N872UA - China Southern delivery has occurred. Registered with the FAA on 11-Mar. Delivery flights appropriately looked very different for this aircraft. China Southern flew it from CAN to XMN in two flights back on 9-Mar where UA took delivery in order to keep personnel safe. I don't believe that we will see any United flight number flights occur until the aircraft is ready to ferry to the US.
N875UA - Scheduled to ferry VCV to DEN as 2736 on 13-Mar. First revenue flight does not appear to be scheduled yet

772:
N77012 - Scheduled exit on 15-Mar/2698 HKG to GUM with Polaris and PP
Last edited by GmoneyCO on Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calpsafltskeds

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:06 am

772:
N774UA exited HKG maint 2690/14Mar

77W:
N2243U entered HKG maint 2689/14Mar

jayunited

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:29 pm

Here are some additional international schedule reductions UA has announced.

No flights to Italy through April 30th
Starting March 14 in response to Presidents travel ban, DEN-FRA, IAH-FRA, IAH-AMS, IAH-MUC all suspended. Neither DEN or IAH are CDC approved screening airports.
Starting March 20[/b] UA will only serve these European airports [b]on a reduced schedule they are ZRH, BRU, CDG, AMS, MAN, EDI, FRA, MUC DUB and LIS.
UA will continue (for the time being) to fly our full schedule to LHR

Any European destination UA serves not mentioned above will see its service suspended in compliance with the presidents EU ban, some stations may see the suspension extended beyond the 30 days depending on demand.

Starting March 16 through April 30th[/b] IAH-EZE suspended

[b]Starting April 1st though April 30th
IAD-TLV suspended, SFO-TLV 3x weekly, EWR-TLV UA84/85 3x weekly, UA90/91 remains daily, IAD-GRU suspended.

Also starting next week there will be huge reductions in frequency to to countries and regions including Mexico, many Central America locations, the Dominican Republic and the start of EWR-POS will be delayed until May at the earliest.

Additional domestic reductions on top of what has already been announce will be coming they are working though out the weekend to finalize the domestic schedule. That list once finalized will for sure be to long to post here but I am expecting somewhere around a 40%-50% temporary reduction in domestic capacity.

777-500er

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:31 pm

How will IAH-LHR-IAH operate if IAH is not a designated port of entry?

jayunited

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:22 pm

777-500er wrote:

Up until a few hours ago the UK was not on the travel ban list which is why LHR flights still operated even today. However starting Monday the UK will be on the list which means IAH-LHR-IAH flights will be suspended.

LAXdude1023

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:42 pm

jayunited wrote:
777-500er wrote:

Up until a few hours ago the UK was not on the travel ban list which is why LHR flights still operated even today. However starting Monday the UK will be on the list which means IAH-LHR-IAH flights will be suspended.

Why IAH isn’t an approved port of entry is beyond me. It’s a top 10 international gateway.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

UAinAUS

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:01 am

UAX Update:

CR5:
N612QX entered JAX for maintenance prior to CR5 mod
N521GJ entered revenue service with GoJet (mod complete)
N520GJ exited AMA in EvoBlu livery, at STL awaiting service entry

TrafficCop

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:52 am

Just a thought.

I wonder with travel to L:HR soon to be restricted what is the chance UA will run the 767 HJ on trans-cons from EWR and IAD?

1989worstyear

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:59 am

TrafficCop wrote:
Just a thought.

I wonder with travel to L:HR soon to be restricted what is the chance UA will run the 767 HJ on trans-cons from EWR and IAD?

I hope so - I'm flying to visit my family in the NE US in late June and that would be nice.

Sadly - the 1986 EIS of the 763 type will mean they will be the first to be corona'd :cry:
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

intotheair

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:40 am

TrafficCop wrote:
Just a thought.

My money is on the 767s and a lot of the 319/320s getting grounded. Maybe some early 777s too. If DL is going to ground 300 birds, then I don't see how UA isn't also going to have to ground a substantial amount as well.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Delta350

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:51 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
319:
N835UA re-entered servic 3/9/20 after storage/HMV/12F mod at GYR

738:
N38417 entered VCV 2761/10Mar for EvoBlu livery, 1st 739 to receive

752:
N14115 entered GYR 2756/9Mar, storage, maint?
N13138 entered GYR 2761/5Mar, storage, maint?

763:
N644UA entered MCO 2751/10Mar

772:
N77019 exited AMA 2725/10Mar in EvoBlu livery

When is N38417 estimated to exit VCV?
Plane Spotter from the Magic City and Hartsfield-Jackson...(ATL)

smartplane

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:00 am

jayunited wrote:
LGeneReese wrote:

They may have been financed, but currently, there would be few airlines that haven't technically or actually breached financial covenants, meaning the institutions taking out the pre-delivery finance and making the delivery settlement, could withhold funds.

UA is being very considerate to Boeing. Interesting to see how many other customers take delivery of their orders, especially WB's.

777-500er

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:42 am

jayunited wrote:
777-500er wrote:

So technically someone (US Citizen) who has been in Europe can get around the port of entry “scan” if they fly through say Toronto and then arrive in Denver?

calpsafltskeds

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:48 am

319:
N811UA entered LCQ 2747/14Mar, expect 12F mod completion

739:
N38417 has only been in VCV 4 days - Being first 739, I'd expect close to 10 days to complete.

Amwest2United

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:50 am

777-500er wrote:
jayunited wrote:
777-500er wrote:

So technically someone (US Citizen) who has been in Europe can get around the port of entry “scan” if they fly through say Toronto and then arrive in Denver?

No, Airlines are required to ask where the US Citizen has been, if they have been in one of the Banned travel areas, they can only enter the US via one of the 13 approved gateways. With Toronto being a Pre-Cleared airport, Customs and Border Patrol will have all that information on the Citizens.
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

ual4life

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:13 am

UA444 wrote:

But I still believe that the BK could’ve either been avoided or at least delayed if not for 9/11 and the downturn that ensued. Either giving them more time in order to right the ship without the BK or some sort of wake up call that something needed to be done and fast. Perhaps some of the hardships the front line employees had to endure don’t happen or are lessened in this timeline.

https://youtu.be/V2GWidUjvRY

Tilton at 16 minutes basically describes how they aspired to be the “high cost carrier” prior to 9/11 and the BK.

Thanks for the link!
NNVII

strfyr51

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:35 am

VC10er wrote:
As I grapple with these brand architecture issues almost everyday, and developing nomenclature and information hierarchy that consumers will understand. I realize some of this is due to some of the historical ways people DO understand. YES, it is a bit strange that United no longer has a TRUE FIRST cabin on international flights, yet domestic 737’s & A320/19’s do have “FIRST CLASS”.
United has 2 target audiences (3 if you count their internal audience)
But externally, the 2 are:
1: Their enormous FF base who are very familiar with all-things United
2: The very large group that are NOT truly aware of the differences, be that a 752 & 753 or a WB that currently could be a “Polaris” seat, a Diamond seat or the old ITPE lie flat found on many High Density 772’s.
(Even folks who fly UA often because they live in SF) One recently called me after flying a 777 from SF to ORD. I believe he was on a HD 772, but he seriously thought “THAT” was “Polaris” and asked how I could actually like Polaris if was one of those old “no storage, tight squeeze” lie flats, and he had purchased “First Class”. I tried explaining everything to him. His ultimate reply “this is why I use my MP miles to fly internationally on another Star Alliance airline!” He’s Premier Platinum because he flies SFO/RDU RT 2x a month. I believe the day he actually flies Polaris on a 77W, he will be pleasantly surprised.
United owns one of the worst words in all consumer marketing: “Plus” (if/when the world changes again and moves back to having a TRUE INTERNATIONAL FIRST CLASS, what will UA do? Will a new much bigger seat and service be called “Global First” then “Polaris Business” or would global First be called “Polaris Plus?”

One day (about a year or two) there will only be 3 lie flat seat variants: New Polaris, A321XLR Polaris and domestic HD 772’s. When that day comes I think the cabins should be named after seat type:
Polaris International
Polaris NB (A321XLR & 737-10)
Polaris Domestic (for flights when Polaris International or Polaris NB’s) are used on domestic route.
Domestic Bed (HD 772’s)
Domestic Lounger

I HATE the name “Premium Economy” for the international purple seats. They are NOT “Economy” seats in any way! I think they would sound far more desirable if they were called:
“Premium Lounger” or even
“Purple Lounger”

“Economy” nomenclature is perfectly fine, as is they are very easy to understand:
“Economy Plus”
“Economy”
“Basic Economy”

I don’t believe many people check or understand the seat maps when buying tickets on line. The yellow corn kernels for Diamond seats vs the more complex looking Polaris seat maps- not unless you are a serious UA heavy user.

what used to be a First class seat before the lie flat seat is now business class seat. United could have left the fully lounger first class seat on the airplanes, then the old First class seat as a business class seat then the economy seat as economy plus and regular Economy . The Merger changed all of that and United has been playing catch-up with their cabins and seat classifications. they don't seem to be able to catch all the airplanes into a common theme. It could be the work is getting done in Asia rather than SFO or IAH. Or? The availability of the product is not somewhere in the US vicinity. But they can't keep this up because at this rate?
They might Never get the fleet on the same footing..

strfyr51

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:55 am

codc10 wrote:
The job isn't too big for Kirby. People can justifiably criticize his propensity to cut perks and benefits, but his airline management acumen is as good as anyone in the business. Quite a far cry from some of United's management teams over the past few...decades.

Guys like Kirby have been cast adrift from their previous carriers where they were possibly passed over. They're now at United managing like they have a vengeful angel on their back (or a Demon) so they want to put their mark on United to take what they found and make it award winning. I can't blame then as I've read many previous comments that United wouldn't amount to a "Hill of Beans" under ANY Leadership! United has risen faster in performance than at any other time in the last 30 years.
I attribute that to Oscar coming on board because He saw the capabilities of the airline and he saw the needs of the airline. And all at the Same time! He's put us on solid footing with Kirby and it's His Legacy that United is coming to be an airline to be reckoned with. Instead of the "Punching Bag" and "cash cow" of previous management teams.

Delta350

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:15 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
319:
N811UA entered LCQ 2747/14Mar, expect 12F mod completion

739:
N38417 has only been in VCV 4 days - Being first 739, I'd expect close to 10 days to complete.

Oh ok thanks
Plane Spotter from the Magic City and Hartsfield-Jackson...(ATL)

calpsafltskeds

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:56 am

763:
N674UA entered HKG 2688/16Mar for High J Polaris/PP

772:
N77019 sked to exit HKG 2700/16Mar with Polaris/PP

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:42 am

The fleet changes, fleet status, and repaint status posts at the start of this thread have been updated.

✈️ atcsundevil

calpsafltskeds

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:27 pm

319:
N818UA entered SFO 2278/14Mar, expect 12F mod

320:
N432UA entered GYR 2733/13Mar, storage, heavy maint., Fleet exit???

FSDan

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:34 pm

Seems like everything is more or less "full steam ahead" with regard to mods and repainting so far? I wonder if that will change soon... Delta announced they were suspending mods (which IIRC is mostly just the 764 fleet at the time being) while parking a ton of widebodies.

I also hope the new high-J 763 configuration and the CR5s are still viable in whatever economy emerges from this pandemic. What looked like a great decision to add a bunch more premium seats not very long ago is now looking like potentially poor timing.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

jayunited

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:17 pm

FSDan wrote:
Seems like everything is more or less "full steam ahead" with regard to mods and repainting so far? I wonder if that will change soon... Delta announced they were suspending mods (which IIRC is mostly just the 764 fleet at the time being) while parking a ton of widebodies.

I also hope the new high-J 763 configuration and the CR5s are still viable in whatever economy emerges from this pandemic. What looked like a great decision to add a bunch more premium seats not very long ago is now looking like potentially poor timing.

There could be a suspension but my understanding is the reason the mods continue is because the money has already been spent, the necessary equipment (minus the aircraft) is already there either at HKG or XMN. Lastly the maintenance companies have already been paid for some of the work. I would imagine that once the current inventory of supplies runs out at XMN and HKG, then UA would most likely suspend the remaining Polaris/PE modifications.

If I had to estimate I would say the 789s are probably done till 2021, the 788s depending on remaining inventory we may get 1 or 2 more frames into XMN then they are probably done till 2021. I believe there is only 1 PW 77E (not including the soon to be domestic conversions) still flying around with IPTE, and 3 or 4 GE 77Es. UA probably will finish the IPTE line by getting the last PW frame into XMN. I believe there are 3 GE frames with diamond seats still flying around, UA might have enough inventory to get 1 maybe 2 of those frames into HKG.

There are seven 763s remaining, they are some of the oldest 763s in our fleet. I would guess UA might suspend the 763 line at HKG because these 7 remaining frames were originally schedule for retirement. COVID-19 might cause UA to rethink that decision especially seeing that UA expects the fallout from COVID-19 to be felt for months if not a year or more. I don't believe UA will make a decision now about these 7 frames but in the coming months I think these 7 frames might find themselves again on the retirement list especially if the remaining 767 Polaris inventory at HKG can be placed on the 764 fleet.

From what I'm hearing here at Willis is some people don't believe the industry will fully recover from this until 2022 if that is the case I think the 7 oldest 763 will be retired.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos