Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
ChrisNH38
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Re: United plans tag routes

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:21 pm

The whole northeast is absent from this kind of flying. By design, or have they just not filled that area in?
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: United plans tag routes

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:51 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
The whole northeast is absent from this kind of flying. By design, or have they just not filled that area in?


I imagine that they might (I said might) begin to load those flights into the coming weeks. But only time will tell
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
dtremit
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:08 am

Re: United plans tag routes

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:52 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
The whole northeast is absent from this kind of flying. By design, or have they just not filled that area in?


It looks like all the examples listed are either EAS cities, or beach destinations likely to see steep declines in business. My guess is there's no such UA destination in the NE.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8499
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: United plans tag routes

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:34 pm

The DOT has been pretty sparing in its grant of exemptions from the must-serve requirements of the CARES Act. See the Notices of Action - the reasoning must be stated. Places where local government have limited access or imposed quarantines on new arrivals (USVI, Puerto Rico, Hawaii) are pretty obvious acceptances. The DOT has backed off some contra-seasonal destinations. The DOT is starting to show a little flexibility to LCCs at big, very well served airports. But to protect small airports they're still wielding the hammer. (Is there a Rep of Congress that doesn't have a commercial airport in his/her district?)

If this is a way for UA to save a little money and maintain a presence in small airports to bring frequency and price competition, great.

https://beta.regulations.gov/docket/DOT ... 7/document
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: United plans tag routes

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:04 pm

dtremit wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
The whole northeast is absent from this kind of flying. By design, or have they just not filled that area in?


It looks like all the examples listed are either EAS cities, or beach destinations likely to see steep declines in business. My guess is there's no such UA destination in the NE.


United does operate a bunch of EAS routes in the northeast. But I’m surprised they did that for EAS routes given that they have already been given a certain amount of money to fly certain routes.

I wonder if United (SkyWest in the contracts) will be required to give back some of the money for the EAS routes that are no longer nonstop
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
drdisque
Posts: 1356
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: United plans tag routes

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:20 pm

The only Northeast destination they applied to drop is ITH.

There's really nowhere that they can tag ITH to that's closer than IAD so it appears they'll keep just flying ITH-IAD 1x.

Note that most of the UA Northeast EAS destinations are on the border with Canada (PBG, PQI, OGS) so it would be hard to tag something onto them. Perhaps OGS could be tagged onto one of SkyWest's WV EAS markets but that would be really out of the way and the WV markets can be tagged together relatively easily themselves. I guess PBG and OGS could be tagged onto each other as well.
 
joeblow10
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: United plans tag routes

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:34 pm

What is the logic of not making the tag routes bookable? - same question to B6. I get it, most of these would have 1-2 pax per day max if you sold them, but still... would seem any revenue is better than none at this point.
 
BAINY3
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:43 pm

Why would they tag CMX onto EAU/DLH instead of something more obvious like GRB, ATW, or CWA? CMX seems way out of the way for EAU/DLH.
 
User avatar
KVH68
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:09 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:35 pm

Here is the official list of where United storing it's mainline fleet:

SEA
PDX
SFO
LAX
LAS (new location)
PHX
DEN
ROW
DFW (new)
AUS (new)
SAT (new)
IAH
HOU
ORD
RFD
CLE
EWR
IAD
INT (new)
LCQ
MCO
TPA
MIA (new)
 
LGeneReese
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:09 pm

789
N24979 C1 BOE354 CHSCHS 28APR
 
User avatar
KVH68
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:09 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:36 am

I got this in the company email today:

"We announced last week that our flight attendants are required to wear face masks on board and, beginning in early May, we will make face masks available to our customers as well."
 
jayunited
Posts: 3027
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:21 pm

KVH68 wrote:
I got this in the company email today:

"We announced last week that our flight attendants are required to wear face masks on board and, beginning in early May, we will make face masks available to our customers as well."


I know a couple of UA flight attendants and they tell me they have been pushing for this for weeks now. While B6 is requiring all passengers to wear a mask or face covering what isn't known is if B6 will provide a mask to passengers who show up without one. I think UA's approach providing masks to customers is the right approach because not every passenger is going to have their own face covering or mask. Airlines need to keep in mind not all local municipalities or states require or even strongly recommend their residents wear face coverings in public.

I think providing masks to customers is a great start I also think there needs to be hand sanitizing station at each jet bridge, before a passengers enters the jet bridge they should be required to sanitize their hands. I also think airlines should install UV lights in all lavatories and the UV light could be activated when the door is unlocked when a passenger enters and locks the door the UV light turns off and the normal light illuminates.
 
tphuang
Posts: 5462
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:34 pm

jayunited wrote:
KVH68 wrote:
I got this in the company email today:

"We announced last week that our flight attendants are required to wear face masks on board and, beginning in early May, we will make face masks available to our customers as well."


I know a couple of UA flight attendants and they tell me they have been pushing for this for weeks now. While B6 is requiring all passengers to wear a mask or face covering what isn't known is if B6 will provide a mask to passengers who show up without one. I think UA's approach providing masks to customers is the right approach because not every passenger is going to have their own face covering or mask. Airlines need to keep in mind not all local municipalities or states require or even strongly recommend their residents wear face coverings in public.

I think providing masks to customers is a great start I also think there needs to be hand sanitizing station at each jet bridge, before a passengers enters the jet bridge they should be required to sanitize their hands. I also think airlines should install UV lights in all lavatories and the UV light could be activated when the door is unlocked when a passenger enters and locks the door the UV light turns off and the normal light illuminates.


Keep in mind NYC and BOS are the 2 hardest hit metropolis from COVID. So, B6 has a a reason to tell everyone to wear face coverings. I do think at this point, airlines should provide masks.
 
LGeneReese
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:52 pm

tphuang wrote:
jayunited wrote:
KVH68 wrote:
I got this in the company email today:

"We announced last week that our flight attendants are required to wear face masks on board and, beginning in early May, we will make face masks available to our customers as well."


I know a couple of UA flight attendants and they tell me they have been pushing for this for weeks now. While B6 is requiring all passengers to wear a mask or face covering what isn't known is if B6 will provide a mask to passengers who show up without one. I think UA's approach providing masks to customers is the right approach because not every passenger is going to have their own face covering or mask. Airlines need to keep in mind not all local municipalities or states require or even strongly recommend their residents wear face coverings in public.

I think providing masks to customers is a great start I also think there needs to be hand sanitizing station at each jet bridge, before a passengers enters the jet bridge they should be required to sanitize their hands. I also think airlines should install UV lights in all lavatories and the UV light could be activated when the door is unlocked when a passenger enters and locks the door the UV light turns off and the normal light illuminates.


Keep in mind NYC and BOS are the 2 hardest hit metropolis from COVID. So, B6 has a a reason to tell everyone to wear face coverings. I do think at this point, airlines should provide masks.

They have to find some to provide first.... that hasn’t been all that easy the last few weeks....
 
LGeneReese
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:47 pm

789
N24979 Delivery UA2708 CHSSFO 30APR. No more RFD for awhile.
 
Detroit313
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Fri May 01, 2020 8:47 pm

Has United suspended EZE until Septepmber?
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1264
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Fri May 01, 2020 8:52 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Has United suspended EZE until Septepmber?

When I punch EZE into united.com looking for flights, I get results starting in July.
 
codc10
Posts: 2911
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Fri May 01, 2020 9:18 pm

adamblang wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
Has United suspended EZE until Septepmber?

When I punch EZE into united.com looking for flights, I get results starting in July.


The July (really, post-June 4) and beyond schedules are works of pure fiction. There won't be any EZE flying until the current restrictions are lifted.
 
Detroit313
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Fri May 01, 2020 10:35 pm

I just don't understand how American, United and Delta claim they will fly to EZE in June and July while the government there has made it crystal clear that no flights will be allowed until September? What are they trying to achieve by doing that?
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24811
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Fri May 01, 2020 10:41 pm

From an internal TechOps update:

Aircraft storage continues and is moving along smoothly. As of Wednesday morning, we have placed 207 aircraft into prolonged storage, and are preparing another 104 airframes to be taken out of service at least for the time being. In addition to the company sites we’ve used since starting this program, we continue to add external parking locations as our parking needs increase.
We are working closely with our Network Planning team to understand future demand and accordingly, putting aircraft to prolonged storage, mostly at external sites, if there is no demand in short-term or if the AC has a heavy check due soon. Most of the stored aircraft at internal sites are in active storage to ensure faster return to service if demand picks up.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24811
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Fri May 01, 2020 10:44 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
I just don't understand how American, United and Delta claim they will fly to EZE in June and July while the government there has made it crystal clear that no flights will be allowed until September? What are they trying to achieve by doing that?


1. Airline schedules largely beyond May/June are not finalized. U.S. carriers are taking things month to month for the most part.

2. IATA and airlines are pushing back on Argentia, and revision to the policy is always possible.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... uestioned/
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24811
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 1:41 am

June longhaul passenger schedule is starting to solidify

EWR-AMS Daily
EWR-CDG 3x weekly
EWR-FRA Daily
EWR-LHR Daily
EWR-NRT 3x weekly
EWR-TLV Daily
IAD-FRA Daily
IAH-GRU Daily
ORD-LHR Daily
SFO-FRA 3x weekly
SFO-LHR Daily
SFO-NRT Daily

Additionally, 4 China routes - EWR-PVG, SFO-CTU/PEK/PVG are planned and awaiting final approvals to restart.

Lastly 20 added international longhaul markets suspended entirely for summer season including ATH, FCO, GVA, MEL, MXP, and TXL.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
United1
Posts: 4194
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 2:18 am

LAXintl wrote:
June longhaul passenger schedule is starting to solidify

EWR-AMS Daily
EWR-CDG 3x weekly
EWR-FRA Daily
EWR-LHR Daily
EWR-NRT 3x weekly
EWR-TLV Daily
IAD-FRA Daily
IAH-GRU Daily
ORD-LHR Daily
SFO-FRA 3x weekly
SFO-LHR Daily
SFO-NRT Daily

Additionally, 4 China routes - EWR-PVG, SFO-CTU/PEK/PVG are planned and awaiting final approvals to restart.

Lastly 20 added international longhaul markets suspended entirely for summer season including ATH, FCO, GVA, MEL, MXP, and TXL.


Did SFO-SYD disappear for June?
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24811
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 3:16 am

No SFO-SYD will still operate. Was just not listed on the first document I saw, but its indeed running.
Last edited by LAXintl on Sat May 02, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24811
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 3:18 am

Here are the additional route suspensions

Image
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 3:23 am

I'm guessing SFO-TPE is toast?
 
wxw507
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 3:39 am

How about ORD-HND?
No any info if this route has been cancelled or just removed during summer?
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2101
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 5:09 am

This story by The Points Guy indicates the possibility that one of United’s eight hubs may be shuttered post-coronavirus.

None of the Chicago-based carrier’s hubs are “sacred” when it looks at rebuilding after the crisis, United president Scott Kirby said during a first quarter earnings call on Friday. Any decisions, however, are a ways off as passenger numbers remain near zero with no imminent signs of recovery.

“Everything is on the table in terms of what we look like,” he said. “While we don’t have plans to close hubs, when you say everything is on the table we mean everything — there are no sacred cows.”

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-ai ... ronavirus/

If hub closures were direct results from recessions and 9/11, COVID-19 could certainly make a dehubbing possible. But for the sake of the airline and employees, hopefully it doesn’t come to that. :(
 
xxcr
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 5:37 am

Runway28L wrote:
This story by The Points Guy indicates the possibility that one of United’s eight hubs may be shuttered post-coronavirus.

None of the Chicago-based carrier’s hubs are “sacred” when it looks at rebuilding after the crisis, United president Scott Kirby said during a first quarter earnings call on Friday. Any decisions, however, are a ways off as passenger numbers remain near zero with no imminent signs of recovery.

“Everything is on the table in terms of what we look like,” he said. “While we don’t have plans to close hubs, when you say everything is on the table we mean everything — there are no sacred cows.”

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-ai ... ronavirus/

If hub closures were direct results from recessions and 9/11, COVID-19 could certainly make a dehubbing possible. But for the sake of the airline and employees, hopefully it doesn’t come to that. :(



I'd say LAX will be the first to get axed.....

SFO--Asia gateway hun
IAH--central/south america hub
ORD-HQ
EWR-European hub
IAD--European hub
 
United1
Posts: 4194
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 9:48 am

Runway28L wrote:
This story by The Points Guy indicates the possibility that one of United’s eight hubs may be shuttered post-coronavirus.

None of the Chicago-based carrier’s hubs are “sacred” when it looks at rebuilding after the crisis, United president Scott Kirby said during a first quarter earnings call on Friday. Any decisions, however, are a ways off as passenger numbers remain near zero with no imminent signs of recovery.

“Everything is on the table in terms of what we look like,” he said. “While we don’t have plans to close hubs, when you say everything is on the table we mean everything — there are no sacred cows.”

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-ai ... ronavirus/

If hub closures were direct results from recessions and 9/11, COVID-19 could certainly make a dehubbing possible. But for the sake of the airline and employees, hopefully it doesn’t come to that. :(


Don’t read too much into that comment from Scott. It was directed at an analyst who asked if AA has said no hubs will be closed is it the same at UA. Kirby basically just said every option is on the table when it comes to rebuilding the network and UA is going to be very flexible. That doesn’t mean UA has any intention of closing a hub simply but unlike AA, who will never loose money again, UA isn’t locked into a course of action.

The points guy, and others, have gotten really click baity with titles lately.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
avi8
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:36 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 12:45 pm

I can definitely see SFO and LAX being trimmed down to spokes until TPAC traffic bumps up.
avi8
 
jayunited
Posts: 3027
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 1:00 pm

wxw507 wrote:
How about ORD-HND?
No any info if this route has been cancelled or just removed during summer?


AaronPGH wrote:
I'm guessing SFO-TPE is toast?


United is still working through the summer and fall schedule just because TPE or ORD-HND are not yet mentioned does not mean they are cancelled or toast.

UA has already announced the seasonal routes that will not return until the 2021 season at the earliest. On a route like ORD-HND there may not be enough demand to justify both ANA and UA flying the route in 2020. On a route like ORD-HND ANA our JV partner could cover the route until January or February 2021 if necessary.

Looking at SFO-TPE right now all foreign nationals are prohibited from entering Taiwan and any Taiwanese national or ARC arriving in Taiwan will be quarantined for 14 days whether they are showing symptom or not and Taiwan is not allowing any passenger to transit through Taiwan. As far as I know the Taiwanese government has not said when these travel restrictions will be lifted. With these strict restrictions in place how is UA supposed to operate SFO-TPE when there is so little demand?

There are a lot of moving pieces especially as it pertains to international travel and let's face it not all of our "trunk" international routes will return this year but that doesn't mean UA has canceled the route entirely. Many of these routes will remain suspended until restrictions are lifted and most importantly demand returns and no one knows for sure when demand will return.
 
tphuang
Posts: 5462
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 1:26 pm

United1 wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
This story by The Points Guy indicates the possibility that one of United’s eight hubs may be shuttered post-coronavirus.

None of the Chicago-based carrier’s hubs are “sacred” when it looks at rebuilding after the crisis, United president Scott Kirby said during a first quarter earnings call on Friday. Any decisions, however, are a ways off as passenger numbers remain near zero with no imminent signs of recovery.

“Everything is on the table in terms of what we look like,” he said. “While we don’t have plans to close hubs, when you say everything is on the table we mean everything — there are no sacred cows.”

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-ai ... ronavirus/

If hub closures were direct results from recessions and 9/11, COVID-19 could certainly make a dehubbing possible. But for the sake of the airline and employees, hopefully it doesn’t come to that. :(


Don’t read too much into that comment from Scott. It was directed at an analyst who asked if AA has said no hubs will be closed is it the same at UA. Kirby basically just said every option is on the table when it comes to rebuilding the network and UA is going to be very flexible. That doesn’t mean UA has any intention of closing a hub simply but unlike AA, who will never loose money again, UA isn’t locked into a course of action.

The points guy, and others, have gotten really click baity with titles lately.


Or they are just praising or pointing out that UA is better prepared for the worst case scenario. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that article.

With LAX as competitive as it is and TPAC traffic down for a while, I would be very surprised if LAX doesn't get downscaled a focus city. They already don't serve PDX, SJC,or DFW. I wouldn't be surprised if stuff like SAN, SEA, MCO, SBA, SBP SMF and BWI get canceled. That would allow UA to move all its feed into SFO to further dominate there.
 
Pi7472000
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 2:02 pm

I could see IAH being trimmed down quite a bit. Very little traffic to Latin America, a city built around oil, and too far south for U.S. connecting traffic. UA has never been historically strong in South America. Let AA and Delta have that traffic.
 
United1
Posts: 4194
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 3:49 pm

tphuang wrote:
United1 wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
This story by The Points Guy indicates the possibility that one of United’s eight hubs may be shuttered post-coronavirus.

None of the Chicago-based carrier’s hubs are “sacred” when it looks at rebuilding after the crisis, United president Scott Kirby said during a first quarter earnings call on Friday. Any decisions, however, are a ways off as passenger numbers remain near zero with no imminent signs of recovery.

“Everything is on the table in terms of what we look like,” he said. “While we don’t have plans to close hubs, when you say everything is on the table we mean everything — there are no sacred cows.”

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-ai ... ronavirus/

If hub closures were direct results from recessions and 9/11, COVID-19 could certainly make a dehubbing possible. But for the sake of the airline and employees, hopefully it doesn’t come to that. :(


Don’t read too much into that comment from Scott. It was directed at an analyst who asked if AA has said no hubs will be closed is it the same at UA. Kirby basically just said every option is on the table when it comes to rebuilding the network and UA is going to be very flexible. That doesn’t mean UA has any intention of closing a hub simply but unlike AA, who will never loose money again, UA isn’t locked into a course of action.

The points guy, and others, have gotten really click baity with titles lately.


Or they are just praising or pointing out that UA is better prepared for the worst case scenario. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that article.

With LAX as competitive as it is and TPAC traffic down for a while, I would be very surprised if LAX doesn't get downscaled a focus city. They already don't serve PDX, SJC,or DFW. I wouldn't be surprised if stuff like SAN, SEA, MCO, SBA, SBP SMF and BWI get canceled. That would allow UA to move all its feed into SFO to further dominate there.


I rarely see much praise in TPG articles but to each their own.

I am sure all of the hubs will be scaled back in the near term so you may be right with what UA will do with it's traffic flow at LAX. I would be surprised to see SAN, SEA and MCO cut however and I don't think it will stay that way. UA had some fairly solid plans for growth at LAX pre crisis and while this certainly has put a damper on that I don't think it's ended those plans. While UA could consolidate at SFO that would only be a temporary fix as once traffic rebounds (and it will even if it's a few years down the road) they will quickly run out of gate space at SFO again. If UA wants to keep growing in CA that brings LAX back into play. It's likely UA will hold onto all of their real estate at LAX planning for that day.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
FlyinRabbit88
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:16 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 4:54 pm

This will be a huge gut punch with the announcement of a displacement bid for about 4500 pilots.
Sadly not ready for the fall. And I’m sure United won’t be alone in this.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24811
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 5:18 pm

United put out a pilot displacement bid with pretty significant moves.

787 - LAX base closed, with additional displacements in DCA, DEN, EWR, IAH, ORD and SFO
777 - DCA, IAH and ORD bases closed. Fleet focused on EWR & SFO.
757/767 - DCA, DEN, LAX and SFO bases closed. Fleet focused on EWR, IAH and ORD
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3052
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 5:22 pm

LAXintl wrote:
United put out a pilot displacement bid with pretty significant moves.

787 - LAX base closed, with additional displacements in DCA, DEN, EWR, IAH, ORD and SFO
777 - DCA, IAH and ORD bases closed. Fleet focused on EWR & SFO.
757/767 - DCA, DEN, LAX and SFO bases closed. Fleet focused on EWR, IAH and ORD


You mean... IAD, right?
 
panam330
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 5:44 pm

LAXintl wrote:
United put out a pilot displacement bid with pretty significant moves.

787 - LAX base closed, with additional displacements in DCA, DEN, EWR, IAH, ORD and SFO
777 - DCA, IAH and ORD bases closed. Fleet focused on EWR & SFO.
757/767 - DCA, DEN, LAX and SFO bases closed. Fleet focused on EWR, IAH and ORD

I hadn’t realized they reopened the DEN 756 base. Reading between the lines, it looks like the 757/767 fleets are going to be significantly downsized, and I’m betting we see either the domestic 77A and/or older 77Es put out to pasture. With no widebody base left at LAX, I think we can all see that it will be scaled down as things ramp back up elsewhere.
I have quite a few friends who fly for UA, front and back, most of whom will be affected by the shuffle. This is going to be a rough one, folks. Hang in there. :(
 
UALifer
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:35 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 5:45 pm

Interesting that the 757/67 base is closing at LAX & SFO. That would seem to indicate they don’t plan to bring back the any of the 757s to transcontinental p.s. or Hawaii service. I wonder if this will be mostly widebody service going forward, at least on the transcons. Same with SFO/LAX-ORD and what was essentially hourly 757-300 service. I suppose that could go to all 737s though.
 
panam330
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 5:46 pm

Ishrion wrote:
You mean... IAD, right?

DCA = DC area airports; pilots are required able to report to DCA, IAD, and BWI.
 
User avatar
janders
Moderator
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 5:48 pm

DCA is what the Washington DC base is referred as.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6194
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 5:51 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
I could see IAH being trimmed down quite a bit. Very little traffic to Latin America, a city built around oil, and too far south for U.S. connecting traffic. UA has never been historically strong in South America. Let AA and Delta have that traffic.


That’s not the first time you’ve put out that opinion and it’s I’ll informed and ridiculous.

IAH will be trimmed. Every hub will. To give up on IAH is to give up on Latin America and IAH is a MASSIVE O&D base in Latin America. The biggest outside Florida, NYC, and LA in the US.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24811
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 5:55 pm

Regarding 757/767, it was mentioned the 767-300 was likely the only subfleet that is currently forecast to be utilized.

Basically the scenario they are modeling the airline for is a 30% schedule reduction for a year or more.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8499
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 6:03 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
IAH will be trimmed. Every hub will. To give up on IAH is to give up on Latin America and IAH is a MASSIVE O&D base in Latin America. The biggest outside Florida, NYC, and LA in the US.


That's interesting. Can you point to a source that shows IAH O&D numbers by region?
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8499
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 6:04 pm

LAXintl wrote:


Basically the scenario they are modeling the airline for is a 30% schedule reduction for a year or more.


Do you recall a UA statement how soon traffic will be down 'only' 30%? Quarter or month?
 
codc10
Posts: 2911
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 6:06 pm

There's a history of base closures with major displacement bids, followed by reopening with vacancies, but it's a multi-month process.

This tells me UA does not expect a meaningful recovery for at least a year, and the 4500 displacements gives an idea of what a furlough might look like come Fall. It also suggests material reduction in the 757/767 and 777 fleets, perhaps for good. Notable that it looks like the 757/767 fleet will remain parked through at least July, and probably beyond that.
 
sdh9
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:13 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 6:12 pm

The amount of money that these displacements will cost is massive. They are making the moves for three reasons, in my opinion:
1. Realign the network for expected Summer ‘21 flying.
2. Drive as many pilots as possible to the lowest paying categories. Therefore, once CARES act provisions expire, pilots can be furloughed as the required retraining for #1 is completed.
3. Scare the pilot group into taking massive concessions to “save” jobs.

These moves would not be made if the airline did not have reasonable certainty that demand will not improve, as they are expensive to undertake and not easy to reverse.
 
Alias1024
Posts: 2693
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:13 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 6:15 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Do you recall a UA statement how soon traffic will be down 'only' 30%? Quarter or month?


It doesn’t say when they expect to be back to that level, only that May and June are down 90% and this displacement has been based off of a 30% schedule reduction. They don’t know when demand will come back in a meaningful way, and this bid is only a baseline that they will adjust from going forward as they get more clarity.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 pm

All the 777s will be consolidated to EWR and SFO for the foreseeable future. Eventually, they will return to IAD and IAH.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos