Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tphuang

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 pm

It's interesting that UA is only adding 350 flights for August from July. This is indeed a pretty cautious increase compared to what DL had announced 2 weeks ago. The big change since DL announcement is that the recent COVID surge has entered everyone's mind again. I wonder if UA was planning a large increase before and decided to put the brakes on due to the events of past week.

Nicknuzzii

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:20 pm

If UA wants to be moderately aggressive they can really put up a fight in LA now that AA is pulling down a lot.

toga998

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:54 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
If UA wants to be moderately aggressive they can really put up a fight in LA now that AA is pulling down a lot.

After stripping the 787 from LAX it will be interesting to see how UA reacts internationally to AA's downsizing. Kirby is in no way interested in burning cash, more now than ever, so LAX might not be the apple of his eye for now.

codc10

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:14 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

LAX is a cash cow for no one (among the US3). Better to focus on strengths at this time.

ericm2031

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:27 pm

A little surprised to see PPT come back so early, or even at all. I figured this would be a route that would probably not survive, but glad it did.

atrude777

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:42 pm

Awesome news for us at United!

Is 3rd of August the date the schedule goes into effect?

I am in Shares, and using 3AUG and it's still showing the old schedule...

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

codc10

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:59 pm

Thinking about AA's LAX changes today, can you imagine if United announced something similar? There would be a complete meltdown!

atrude777 wrote:
Awesome news for us at United!

Is 3rd of August the date the schedule goes into effect?

I am in Shares, and using 3AUG and it's still showing the old schedule...

Alex

Probably will be filed this weekend with the usual schedule update.

toga998 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

After stripping the 787 from LAX it will be interesting to see how UA reacts internationally to AA's downsizing. Kirby is in no way interested in burning cash, more now than ever, so LAX might not be the apple of his eye for now.

I certainly don't think UA will add any LAX longhaul for now, and its LAX-PVG was driven primarily by corporate contract (Disney, IIRC), so that has a chance of staying. AA appears to be committed to the remaining LAX longhaul markets, which compete with UAL (TYO, SYD, LHR).

ericm2031

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:09 pm

tphuang wrote:
It's interesting that UA is only adding 350 flights for August from July. This is indeed a pretty cautious increase compared to what DL had announced 2 weeks ago. The big change since DL announcement is that the recent COVID surge has entered everyone's mind again. I wonder if UA was planning a large increase before and decided to put the brakes on due to the events of past week.

UA's press release seems to be all over the place. https://hub.united.com/2020-07-01-unite ... 05172.html

"United plans to add more than 350 daily flights from its U.S. hubs in August"
"Adding more than 600 daily flights to more than 200 airports across the United States"

Unless I'm reading that wrong, those seem to be 2 different numbers for the same statement.

On the internal version of the press release, it says the schedule is available online, which it isn't yet.

I also noticed it lists LAX-SAL and LAX-GUA, which wasn't flown before, unless they plan to take this over from Avianca

LAXintl

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:22 pm

ericm2031 wrote:

I also noticed it lists LAX-SAL and LAX-GUA, which wasn't flown before, unless they plan to take this over from Avianca

Yes, bit odd but these long discontinued routes are both back 2x weekly effective August.

Suspect UA noted that IAH-GUA/SAL flights are heavily fed from LA basin, so might make sense to offer nonstop service.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

codc10

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:23 pm

LAXintl wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

Yes, bit odd but these long discontinued routes are both back 2x weekly effective August.

Suspect UA noted that IAH-GUA/SAL flights are heavily fed from LA basin, so might make sense to offer nonstop service.

Noticed that too... interesting adds. Also, the August schedule would appear to have less Micronesia flying (such as Island Hopper at monthly service)?

cosyr

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:26 pm

Ishrion wrote:
In August, United plans to resume more long-haul routes:

- Chicago to Brussels and Frankfurt
- Houston to Lima
- Newark to Brussels, Munich, São Paulo, and Zurich
- San Francisco to London and Papeete

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-ai ... -schedule/

They must have confidence that Europe will reduce restrictions on Americans entering the Schengen zone. Given that NY, CT, NJ have created metrics that dictate which states will automatically add or come off the 14-Quarantine list, if Europe were to do something similar, the US would almost certainly be banned, as our cases are on the rise and hitting new daily highs.

Nicknuzzii

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:29 pm

cosyr wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

- Houston to Lima

They must have confidence that Europe will reduce restrictions on Americans entering the Schengen zone. Given that NY, CT, NJ have created metrics that dictate which states will automatically add or come off the 14-Quarantine list, if Europe were to do something similar, the US would almost certainly be banned, as our cases are on the rise and hitting new daily highs.

These were created with the impression Europe would be continuing the ban.

77H

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:32 pm

jayunited wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

- Houston to Lima

It’s also interesting they will bring EWR to more than 230 flights. This seems like a reaction to all the LCC expansion there.

Why is it interesting last time I checked EWR was still a UA hub no different than IAD, IAH, ORD, DEN, SFO, and LAX. Which by the way UA plans on increasing flights out of these hubs as well in August. When the July schedule goes into effect UA is doubling the number of flights out of ORD, DEN, and IAH. Is it really that unbelievable to see UA apply that same plan to EWR in August?
Keep in mind until the final schedule update comes out UA has its full pre-COVID schedule open for sale and finalizes the schedule based on the level of demand they are seeing.

The tai-state region is one of the most populated regions in the US, and this region has just started its road to recovery especially when compared to Texas, Georgia, Florida, and Arizona which opened up weeks ago (now having to press the pause button). If the trip-state region is able to control the virus and keep their numbers headed in the right direction there could be a sizable uptick in domestic travel from the region. However, if the virus comes roaring back then UA will have to pull back the schedule, but this increase is about UA rebuilding its hub and responding to projected demand.

Quick side note: UA plans to resume service to Hawaii from DEN, IAH, and ORD, UA also plans on resuming LIH and ITO flights from either SFO or LAX. I'm not sure Hawaii will be able to handle the influx of tourist while keeping the virus under control. It will be interesting to see what action the governor takes in the coming weeks or if Hawaiian officials will just throw their hands up.

The current plan is to mandate testing for all arriving visitors. Those with negative tests would be allowed to hit the ground running out of the state. I believe those who haven’t been tested prior to arrival or have positive tests, would be quarantined.

Below is a Hawaii News Now article on the subject:
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/06/3 ... h-testing/

One potentially big issue I see with the current plan Hawaii has is that it is entirely possible for someone who hasn’t been tested or has a positive test to infect those who pre-tested negative.

77H

jayunited

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:48 pm

tphuang wrote:

When the August schedule goes into effect UA should be operating around 1,850 daily flights. According to an article from The Points Guy DL plans to operate around 2,00 daily flights in August. I think operating 40% of our pre-COVID schedule in August is right where UA should be. Kirby has made it clear UA is not trying to keep up with AA we are focusing on conserving cash bringing down the daily burn rate. Again UA may have to pull back the schedule a bit if cases start to rise especially in the tri-state area but for now come August UA together with UAX should be operating between 1,800 to 1,850 daily flights.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/airlines- ... ases-rise/

tphuang

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:16 pm

jayunited wrote:
tphuang wrote:

When the August schedule goes into effect UA should be operating around 1,850 daily flights. According to an article from The Points Guy DL plans to operate around 2,00 daily flights in August. I think operating 40% of our pre-COVID schedule in August is right where UA should be. Kirby has made it clear UA is not trying to keep up with AA we are focusing on conserving cash bringing down the daily burn rate. Again UA may have to pull back the schedule a bit if cases start to rise especially in the tri-state area but for now come August UA together with UAX should be operating between 1,800 to 1,850 daily flights.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/airlines- ... ases-rise/

I think there was some conflicting report. Looks like UA is adding 25000 flights for the month, which is close to 800 flights a day. That seems pretty reasonable. Given the current environment, I don't think it makes sense to add more.

AA and UA's philosophy on this will be in full display this month. AA is going to ramp up to something like 50+% domestic schedule just as demand is flattering out (UA and several other airlines have indicated this). We will see what the burn rate looks like when the earning calls come. I don't think it will be a pretty sight for AA.

jayunited

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:22 am

tphuang wrote:
I think there was some conflicting report. Looks like UA is adding 25000 flights for the month, which is close to 800 flights a day. That seems pretty reasonable. Given the current environment, I don't think it makes sense to add more.

AA and UA's philosophy on this will be in full display this month. AA is going to ramp up to something like 50+% domestic schedule just as demand is flattering out (UA and several other airlines have indicated this). We will see what the burn rate looks like when the earning calls come. I don't think it will be a pretty sight for AA.

UA is adding 25,000 flights in August that is on top of what is being added in July, It is not to be confused with UA flying 25,000 flights for the month of August. The 25,000 flights are an addition to what we are adding in July which is how we get to 40% of our pre-covid schedule. Pre-COVID UA together with UAX in August of 2019 was operating over 4,900 daily flights, 800 flights a day is not 40% of 4,900. If we adjust for the international schedule which will still lag the domestic schedule UA should be operating around 1,800 to 1,850 flights a day for the month of August 2020.

ericm2031

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:31 am

Looks like the August domestic schedule was loaded a few hours ago...covers 8/3-9/7

strfyr51

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:59 am

United is sitting on their cash pile and are not just flying for the sake of flying. Their moves are calculated and as Kirby is getting his feet in the water as CEO he cannot be seen making stupid moves. United is like the Truculent Turtle. WN and the other LCC;s have a totally different operating model .

windy95

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:42 pm

audidudi wrote:
redrooster3 wrote:
Got a interesting group 2 ferry out of GYR scheduled for today...N37513 a 737MAX9 scheduled GYR-MCO as UA2708. Lets hope she makes it!!

Any idea why she's flying to MCO today, the same day as the MAX Recertification flights begin?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n37513

https://simpleflying.com/the-boeing-737 ... on-flight/

Getting them ready for return to service. Maintenance, updates and EA's will all be done at MCO Maintenance on the ones already delivered.

LAXintl

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:18 pm

A bit of insight to the operation.

Average revenue passengers on our flights:
During the last week, we averaged around 63,000 revenue passengers on board our aircraft.
Revenue load factors on United:
We have averaged between 60 and 63% revenue load factors over the past week. Keep in mind this revenue load factor is on a massively reduced schedule, but the numbers are improving slightly.
Extra section and up-gauged flights to avoid high load factors:
Over the past several days we have added only a few extra sections but we continue to upgauge flights to avoid high load factors. We upgauged between 70 and 98 flights daily over the last week.

jayunited

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:57 pm

Starting July 3rd UA will once again resume serving single serve liquor minis. UA continued to serve beer and individual bottles of wine throughout this crisis but starting tomorrow liquor service resumes. Coffee and tea will once again be offered, but it seems like for now domestically UA will limit coffee and tea service to flight that are scheduled to depart before 0945. International flights will be fully provisioned with coffee, hot chocolate and tea as will all premium transcontinental flights. Lastly and most importantly ICE is back, no more hot drinks. United will once again provision ALL flights with ice. It is my understanding that originally FA's thought it was a good idea to remove the ice just to limit contact and most passengers when this pandemic hit steered clear of ice or anything that wasn't sealed. But now do to overwhelming customer demand all aircraft will be provisioned with ice. However UA is advising all FA's to please ask the customer if they want ice and not just assume they do.

I have not taken an international flight since this pandemic began so I'm not sure if liquor service was pulled from international economy. But if it was UA starting tomorrow will once again offer free beer in a can and individual bottles of wine in economy class on all international flights and the mid-flight snack is back.

Its not all good news though starting July 15th there will be a minor change to Polaris and premium cabin provisioning.
International Polaris UA will remove the day blanked but leave the duvet.
Transcontinental and flights to Hawaii and HNL-GUM UA will remove the duvet but leave the day blanket.

I'm guessing UA is trying to save money by cutting their daily laundry bill. I for one am always cold on an airplane if I'm in coach I alway have a coat or jacket and if I'm in Polaris I love the duvet the day blanket was never thick enough to keep me warm. But I know people who hate the duvet (its to hot for them) but love the day blanket because it allowed for some air flow. Starting July 15th customers will no longer have a choice, hopefully this decision is temporary and not permanent. Hopefully customers will complain enough that UA is forced to reverse course as our financial situation improves.

UAinAUS

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:22 am

UAX Update:

E175SC:
N616UX now flying Skywest

E170:
The following frames have all returned to flying: 632, 637, 641, 645, 855, 856, 858, 861, 864, 979

CR7:
N514MJ is now parked at IAD

CR5:
The following frames are now returned to flying: 535, 538, 539
Correction on Fleet Site: N504GJ is flying, but N506GJ is still parked

E145:
The following frames have exited the fleet (stored at IGM): N19554, N15555, N18556, N18557

CR2:
N461AW has returned to flying
N679SA has returned to flying
N947SW has been parked at TUS
N971SW has been parked at CKB
N864AS has been parked at TUS
N910SW still parked, ferried to CKB

CALTECH

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:15 pm

windy95 wrote:
audidudi wrote:
redrooster3 wrote:
Got a interesting group 2 ferry out of GYR scheduled for today...N37513 a 737MAX9 scheduled GYR-MCO as UA2708. Lets hope she makes it!!

Any idea why she's flying to MCO today, the same day as the MAX Recertification flights begin?

Getting them ready for return to service. Maintenance, updates and EA's will all be done at MCO Maintenance on the ones already delivered.

Like windy95 wrote, re-wiring systems, separating wires from wire bundles, fuel tank inspections, lots of engineers on site and MX inspections.

# 7513 still has that new aircraft smell.
You are here.

LGeneReese

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:29 pm

CALTECH wrote:
windy95 wrote:
audidudi wrote:

Like windy95 wrote, re-wiring systems, separating wires from wire bundles, fuel tank inspections, lots of engineers on site and MX inspections.

# 7513 still has that new aircraft smell.

Only one newer.. 7514.. neither of those had a chance to fly passengers very long before grounding.
7515-7530 Are actually built but undelivered.

toga998

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:54 pm

With the imminent rearrangement of the fleet can it be assumed that the 77E will receive an expedited retirement date and a solid future for the A350 order? International travel will, hopefully, be back to normal by 2027, and its fuel efficiency will be a good excuse to bring them onboard.

KFTG

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:15 am

What “imminent rearrangement of the fleet” are you referring to?
And 2027? Really? We’re discussing 2027?
The airline could potentially cease to exist in 7 months.

Nicknuzzii

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:23 am

KFTG wrote:
What “imminent rearrangement of the fleet” are you referring to?
And 2027? Really? We’re discussing 2027?
The airline could potentially cease to exist in 7 months.

I’m not sure which claim is more outlandish.

CriticalPoint

Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:45 am

toga998 wrote:
With the imminent rearrangement of the fleet can it be assumed that the 77E will receive an expedited retirement date and a solid future for the A350 order? International travel will, hopefully, be back to normal by 2027, and its fuel efficiency will be a good excuse to bring them onboard.

Sure......maybe......let’s see how tomorrow goes.

KFTG

Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:59 am

Obviously I was being hyperbolic.
It’s obvious we have quite a few folks here who haven’t a clue as to how the industry works.
Any “forecast” beyond 6 months is a joke.

codc10

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:26 pm

toga998 wrote:

I think the opposite is true... 777s stick around longer, A350 order in greater doubt.

jetblastdubai

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:58 pm

codc10 wrote:

I think the opposite is true... 777s stick around longer, A350 order in greater doubt.

I tend to agree. Post COVID, I believe air travel will need to push more passengers through hubs as the demand on thinner routes to secondary markets may make many of them hard to justify. Even domestically, there will probably be fewer thin markets served that over-fly hubs.

Additionally, a lot of us have been surprised by the range of the 78X. As it turns out there are very few missions that the A359 can do that the family of 788, 789 and 78Xs cannot do at UA.

calpsafltskeds

Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:59 pm

Pretty huge jump in aircraft flying today for UA. I show 38.7% of total units flying at least one leg today.
Virtually all 319/320 units that haven't been stored for over 14 days are flying. NB fleet flying at 40% today.

The 787/77W fleet is flying 59 of 77 or 77%. Now about half of 772A fleet flying today.

FlyHossD

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:09 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
Pretty huge jump in aircraft flying today for UA. I show 38.7% of total units flying at least one leg today.
Virtually all 319/320 units that haven't been stored for over 14 days are flying. NB fleet flying at 40% today.

The 787/77W fleet is flying 59 of 77 or 77%. Now about half of 772A fleet flying today.

Are any of the 77C (L-CO 777-200s) flying?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

United1

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:20 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:

Are any of the 77C (L-CO 777-200s) flying?

I thought those were 77E with Polaris and 77Y with the Diamond seats?

3/0013 did a IAH-DEN-IAH turn yesterday.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

jayunited

Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:43 pm

Over the next few days or weeks, UA should be publicly announcing we are planning to hold capacity at or near 40% through the remainder of the year. Should demand drop UA would of course pull back on capacity. Right now out of EWR demand is still down a whopping 84%, as New York continues to deal with the fallout from COVID but that is an improvement from where demand was at its lowest point. UA is seeing demand return faster at our IAD, IAH, DEN and ORD hubs, demand at EWR and SFO should pick up a lot more in August. LAX will remain a UA hub although right now UA is not looking to take advantage of the situation (meaning AA's slight reduction at LAX).

The bright spot continues to be UA Cargo which has more than stepped up to the plate and delivered for UA in a big way. We are continuing to add more cargo flights as demand and shipping rates have remained strong.

Looking ahead to the fall UA plans to bring back LAX-SYD 3x weekly, there was no mention of when IAH-SYD would resume.

As a result of UA Cargo and strong cargo demand UA plans on resuming passenger service ORD-HKG either 1x weekly or 2x weekly. It was announced so fast I couldn't keep up my apologies. However there was no direction was given if UA plans to continue to operate passenger service ORD-HKG once shipping rates decline.

Also in the fall UA will increase EWR-TLV frequency to 10x weekly and UA plans to launch passenger service ORD-TLV 3x weekly service. UA's pre-COVID SFO/IAD-TLV flights were not brought up, so I'm not sure when service will resume on those routes.
Heading into the fall Hawaii is a bright spot with demand increasing which is why UA is increasing flights to Hawaii. Also there may be some opportunities in the Caribbean this fall as well.

The overall theme was UA is focusing on our network, and not concerning ourselves with what other airlines are doing. Of all the US carriers UA had the most diverse international network pre-COVID with most of that network still down it does effect how much we can fly domestically. Also corporate travel which was a huge portion of UA business continues to be down. However UA continues to hear from travel managers and clients who are anxious to get back out there but most of them say they will NOT resume travel until there is a vaccine in place. UA continues to focus on cash burn we are headed in the right direction in terms of of daily cash burn but of course there is still much more work to be done to get us down to zero. United continues to look for opportunities to restore the network and even expand the network, and UA continues to work with the unions to come up with solutions that will allow UA to respond quickly once demand returns.

United1

Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:56 pm

jayunited wrote:
Over the next few days or weeks, UA should be publicly announcing we are planning to hold capacity at or near 40% through the remainder of the year. Should demand drop UA would of course pull back on capacity. Right now out of EWR demand is still down a whopping 84%, as New York continues to deal with the fallout from COVID but that is an improvement from where demand was at its lowest point. UA is seeing demand return faster at our IAD, IAH, DEN and ORD hubs, demand at EWR and SFO should pick up a lot more in August. LAX will remain a UA hub although right now UA is not looking to take advantage of the situation (meaning AA's slight reduction at LAX).

The bright spot continues to be UA Cargo which has more than stepped up to the plate and delivered for UA in a big way. We are continuing to add more cargo flights as demand and shipping rates have remained strong.

Looking ahead to the fall UA plans to bring back LAX-SYD 3x weekly, there was no mention of when IAH-SYD would resume.

As a result of UA Cargo and strong cargo demand UA plans on resuming passenger service ORD-HKG either 1x weekly or 2x weekly. It was announced so fast I couldn't keep up my apologies. However there was no direction was given if UA plans to continue to operate passenger service ORD-HKG once shipping rates decline.

Also in the fall UA will increase EWR-TLV frequency to 10x weekly and UA plans to launch passenger service ORD-TLV 3x weekly service. UA's pre-COVID SFO/IAD-TLV flights were not brought up, so I'm not sure when service will resume on those routes.
Heading into the fall Hawaii is a bright spot with demand increasing which is why UA is increasing flights to Hawaii. Also there may be some opportunities in the Caribbean this fall as well.

The overall theme was UA is focusing on our network, and not concerning ourselves with what other airlines are doing. Of all the US carriers UA had the most diverse international network pre-COVID with most of that network still down it does effect how much we can fly domestically. Also corporate travel which was a huge portion of UA business continues to be down. However UA continues to hear from travel managers and clients who are anxious to get back out there but most of them say they will NOT resume travel until there is a vaccine in place. UA continues to focus on cash burn we are headed in the right direction in terms of of daily cash burn but of course there is still much more work to be done to get us down to zero. United continues to look for opportunities to restore the network and even expand the network, and UA continues to work with the unions to come up with solutions that will allow UA to respond quickly once demand returns.

Amazing news about TLV (and all of the route news in general.). UA must be taking advantage of ElAls collapse/pause/reorganization. SFO-TLV just resumed operating passenger service 3 days a week.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

FSDan

Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:57 pm

jayunited wrote:

That's very interesting. I suppose the ORD-TLV service, like ORD-HKG, probably has something to do with the cargo component. Otherwise, it seems odd for UA to go out on a bit of a limb and fly a new route like that before bringing back a route like SFO-TLV that was by all indications a very strong performer pre-COVID. Alternatively, I suppose UA could have heard back from a Chicago area corporate client that's still doing a lot of travel (maybe Abbott Laboratories or something?) that they are willing to support a direct service to Israel. Either way, interesting development.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

United1

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:07 pm

FSDan wrote:
jayunited wrote:

That's very interesting. I suppose the ORD-TLV service, like ORD-HKG, probably has something to do with the cargo component. Otherwise, it seems odd for UA to go out on a bit of a limb and fly a new route like that before bringing back a route like SFO-TLV that was by all indications a very strong performer pre-COVID. Alternatively, I suppose UA could have heard back from a Chicago area corporate client that's still doing a lot of travel (maybe Abbott Laboratories or something?) that they are willing to support a direct service to Israel. Either way, interesting development.

UA is restarting 789 SFO-TLV service 3 days a week...I believe the first flight is this Wednesday the 8th.

AA94

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:07 pm

FSDan wrote:
jayunited wrote:

I was on the same call as jayunited, and the way I interpreted it is that cargo capacity is the financial justification for these routes, and the addition of pax service is just gravy. Passenger demand is still heavily down and doesn't justify the addition of new service.

tphuang

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:18 pm

On the topic of demand out of EWR, I don't think I've ever seen anything remotely like this.
A week out to MCO, NK is $18 on every flight, F9 is at $20 and UA/B6 are at $26 almost every flight. And that pricing goes forward as far I can see.
To FLL on Thursday this week, NK is advertising $18, UA at 41 and B6 at 56. Next week, I'm seeing $18 from NK and $26 for UA/B6 everywhere.
To TPA a week from now, NK and F9 are at $18. UA/B6 are at $26.
To RSW a week from now, NK shows $14 and UA/B6 are at $18
To CLE a week from now, NK/UA are showing mostly $15
To ATL a week from now, NK/F9 at $18, UA at $26 and DL at $49

As a counterpoint on a route without NK, PBI shows $189 from both UA/B6. BOS shows $129 from both UA/B6. SDQ shows over $350 from UA/B6 on remaining flights.

I don't see how these Florida pricing can be remotely sustainable.

I'm not sure if UA is seeing 84% decline out of EWR in booking number or revenue. If it's the former, the revenue has to be down even more due to the ULCC pressure.

LAXintl

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:24 pm

The internaional flying is riding the cargo wave, not because of passenger demand. Some countries like Australia are closed entirely, Israel only allows residents, and many others have quarantines in place.

Though the cargo gravy train will come to end sooner or later. We've already seen softening with Transpac rates down 30%.

Ishrion

United Adds ORD-TLV

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:29 pm

United will add nonstop passenger service between Chicago and Tel Aviv this September.

Awesome to see a new long-haul route during these times. Sounds like they're taking advantage of EL AL never starting the route?

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... SFWN2ED0II

Scarebus34

Re: United Adds ORD-TLV

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:35 pm

They’ll also resume LAX-SYD and ORD-HKG

kiowa

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:36 pm

Outstanding! long awaited.

MAH4546

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:38 pm

Article has no context though. The local market isn't big, they don't care that LY cancelled the relaunch, but it could be they see a gap for needing to give TLV more connectivity to the States, and Chicago fills that, possibly temporarily.
a.

Scarebus34

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:40 pm

In addition to the new service to TLV out of ORD, we are adding more flights between TLV and EWR, which will increase from daily to 10 weekly flights in August. In October, subject to government approval, we will resume our IAD-TLV service, while our SFO-TLV three days a week nonstop service resumes July 8.

jayunited

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:55 pm

AA94 wrote:
I was on the same call as jayunited, and the way I interpreted it is that cargo capacity is the financial justification for these routes, and the addition of pax service is just gravy. Passenger demand is still heavily down and doesn't justify the addition of new service.

The resumption of 1x weekly ORD-HKG passenger service really threw me for a loop. UA operates daily cargo flights on this route I don't understand why we need to operate 1x weekly passengers flights. And to be honest I don't see passenger service sticking around on this route once cargo rates drop. Before COVID hit EWR-HKG was in trouble and had been reduced to 3x weekly.

As far as ORD-TLV, UA has had this flight in the works for some time, going back to early last year if the rumors are to be believed. Prior to coronavirus and according to rumor IAD-TLV was suppose to go daily this year and ORD-TLV was to launch 3x weekly. Quite frankly once COVID hit I had given up hope on ORD-TLV ever being launch, I was quite surprised to hear on the call today that UA would move forward with launching ORD-TLV service. I know from a cargo perspective UA has been hauling a lot of cargo to and from TLV but still I was quite surprised to hear ORD-TLV passenger service is launching.

In my opinion it seems like UA has a solid strategy going forward for all of our hubs except LAX. I think AA's decision at LAX might have caught UA off guard and right now UA is not sure what to do at LAX, so we are just going to stick with what we were already doing.
Last edited by jayunited on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FSDan

Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:03 am

jayunited wrote:
Before COVID hit EWR-HKG was in trouble and had been reduced to 3x weekly.

I thought EWR-HKG was still planned to be a daily 777-200ER this summer before COVID hit?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

panam330

Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:08 am

FSDan wrote:
jayunited wrote:
Before COVID hit EWR-HKG was in trouble and had been reduced to 3x weekly.

I thought EWR-HKG was still planned to be a daily 777-200ER this summer before COVID hit?

It was reduced after the protests in HKG tanked demand. COVID only killed off the rest of it.

ericm2031

Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:44 am

FSDan wrote:
jayunited wrote:

I agree. Same thing with the LAX-SAL/GUA adds that got buried in press releases and didn't get much attention. These have been cargo routes and are adding passengers next month.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos