Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tphuang

Re: United route announcement August 12, 2020

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:50 pm

https://crankyflier.com/2020/08/13/unit ... ay-season/
CF's article on this with this part
"All of these routes have nonstop service from at least two other airlines. Spirit flies 14 of them, JetBlue and Southwest each serve 10, Frontier is in 9, Delta 8, and American just 1,"
Seems to me if UA is doing this as a retaliation on JetBlue, it would not be doing this on a limited time and targeting NK more.

Midwestindy

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:15 pm

tphuang wrote:
https://crankyflier.com/2020/08/13/united-tries-to-hitch-a-ride-on-the-florida-gravy-train-this-holiday-season/
CF's article on this with this part
"All of these routes have nonstop service from at least two other airlines. Spirit flies 14 of them, JetBlue and Southwest each serve 10, Frontier is in 9, Delta 8, and American just 1,"
Seems to me if UA is doing this as a retaliation on JetBlue, it would not be doing this on a limited time and targeting NK more.

No, not everything is about B6, this is UA's only chance of capturing a meaningful amount of Florida demand.

Remember IAD & IAH are terrible connectors to Florida, UA is only flying IAD-RSW 2x daily this winter on CR7s!.

They are competing with a plethora of less circuitous options through massive Florida connecting hubs (ATL/CLT) from DL & AA, plus nonstop options on WN, B6, NK, F9, e.t.c.

This is the only way UA is going to be able to capture any meaningful amount of Florida traffic, which will be a large portion of demand this winter.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

FSDan

Re: United Adds IAH-ABI/CHA, DEN-ALS/RST/SUX

Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:31 am

TomJoel wrote:
This could be why UA is starting service because AA may be pulling out. Of course this is speculation.

I'd be surprised if AA pulled out, if for no other reason than that they've been building up their DFW hub and adding more small TX cities (e.g. DRT) recently. Also, with DFW-ABI typically seeing something like 4-6 daily flights, it wouldn't appear to have been a money-loser for AA pre-COVID (if it was, why didn't they just fly 2 or 3 dailies or pull out entirely and do maintenance work elsewhere?).
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

FlyingElvii

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:51 am

RSW to Pit, CMH, MKE, and IND confirmed, through a Jan 10, at least.
All but MKE are YX bases. At-risk?

https://www.news-press.com/story/money/ ... 363836001/

FlyingElvii

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:58 am

Midwestindy wrote:
drdisque wrote:
The BOS flying is going to be probably pretty rough - UA is pretty weak in that POS. If the MKE flights are struggling and priced cheap they'll end up with a lot of reverse leakage from the North Suburbs of Chicago (similar to when Ted flew from MDW). Same with the LGA flights as I understand they are flying these to help retain the slots without flying way too much ORD-LGA and LGA-IAD. If business travel hasn't recovered after this and they still have to squat on LGA slots they might have to squat with a bunch of LGA-IAD flights on 50 seaters or maybe they just retain the Florida flying through the Spring. IND-RSW on an A320 is a pretty big swag too. Odd that RSW was the station they picked from IND too, must be lack of competition.

IND-RSW is a pretty big market (#6 or 7 from RSW), especially if you combine it with PGD where IND-PGD is the largest winter market.

DL serves/served it daily in winter, plus F9/G4/NK/WN all serve the market during winter.

Ind-RSW was ATA’s bread and butter milk run. They turned it into a huge market, even filling last minute add L10’s in the 80’s.
At peak times, it wasn’t unusual to see ATA run as many as ten sone days, including 2-3 L-10’s.

TomJoel

Re: United Adds IAH-ABI/CHA, DEN-ALS/RST/SUX

Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:52 am

FSDan wrote:
TomJoel wrote:
This could be why UA is starting service because AA may be pulling out. Of course this is speculation.

I'd be surprised if AA pulled out, if for no other reason than that they've been building up their DFW hub and adding more small TX cities (e.g. DRT) recently. Also, with DFW-ABI typically seeing something like 4-6 daily flights, it wouldn't appear to have been a money-loser for AA pre-COVID (if it was, why didn't they just fly 2 or 3 dailies or pull out entirely and do maintenance work elsewhere?).

Every time I’ve flown in there, the aircraft was not even half full. In fact, I was once the only passenger on a DFW-ABI flight, something I have never seen until then.

palauanguy86

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:11 am

andrew1996 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
andrew1996 wrote:

Does the SIN flight change crew in Singapore or a same day turn around from GUM? It seems like other foregin airlines operating cargo flights into Sngapore change crews in Singapore? I originally thought it is stopping in GUM to carry more cargo out of SFO direct to SIN to avoid payload restriction or is there also cargo loaded on/off in GUM or just for the crew change?

The crew change is in GUM. GUM-SIN-GUM is flown as a turn with 4 pilots.

4 pilots—makes sense cause otherwise it seems far too long of a sector to be flown by 2. Is GUM used to load/unload cargo or serve as a intra Asia cargo hub or is it purely crew change? Could UA deliver cargo from say SIN to HKG via GUM?

I work the GUM flights on the ground. Cargo coming into GUM is from the mainland (SFO/LAX) with thru cargo to SIN/TPE/HKG/PVG and we sometimes have local-boarded cargo. Going back, it's usually a full fit load. Very rarely will we have the space to load so it gets routed through HNL. Also, there's hardly any local cargo coming from Asia on the widebodies save for a few loose pieces in the bulk (and I haven't seen any intra-Asia like SIN-GUM-HKG, etc.). Also, none of the GUM trips have involved loading anything in the cabin.

drdisque

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:55 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:

It can't be YX At-risk it's all operated on UA mainline. The only UAX route announced was that CLE-TPA will be on an E-175 in late fall/early winter.

zelegp

Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:08 pm

drdisque wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

It can't be YX At-risk it's all operated on UA mainline. The only UAX route announced was that CLE-TPA will be on an E-175 in late fall/early winter.

CLE-TPA is only UAX for the first month and then switches to mainline when PIT, MKE, IND, CMH begin. CMH and PIT are on E-175’s, not mainline.

FlyHossD

Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:16 am

palauanguy86 wrote:
andrew1996 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

The crew change is in GUM. GUM-SIN-GUM is flown as a turn with 4 pilots.

4 pilots—makes sense cause otherwise it seems far too long of a sector to be flown by 2. Is GUM used to load/unload cargo or serve as a intra Asia cargo hub or is it purely crew change? Could UA deliver cargo from say SIN to HKG via GUM?

I work the GUM flights on the ground. Cargo coming into GUM is from the mainland (SFO/LAX) with thru cargo to SIN/TPE/HKG/PVG and we sometimes have local-boarded cargo. Going back, it's usually a full fit load. Very rarely will we have the space to load so it gets routed through HNL. Also, there's hardly any local cargo coming from Asia on the widebodies save for a few loose pieces in the bulk (and I haven't seen any intra-Asia like SIN-GUM-HKG, etc.). Also, none of the GUM trips have involved loading anything in the cabin.

Thanks - always good to have word from the inside.

I've also been told that a few cargo flights are still cycling through NRT. So the crew rests in Tokyo, then flies NRT-HKG-GUM for another rest before heading back to the mainland and that this sequence is also flown in reverse order.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

jayunited

Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:18 pm

FlyHossD wrote:

I've also been told that a few cargo flights are still cycling through NRT. So the crew rests in Tokyo, then flies NRT-HKG-GUM for another rest before heading back to the mainland and that this sequence is also flown in reverse order.

No you are confusing and intermixing the two layover points.
For example ORD-PVG cargo flight will fly this route ORD-NRT (change crews) NRT-PVG-NRT (change crews) NRT-ORD.
Another example LAX-TPE cargo flight will fly this route LAX-GUM (change crews) GUM-TPE-GUM (change crews) GUM-LAX.
There are no NRT-HKG-GUM routings, although I can understand why you would think it's possible.

When a cargo flight leaves the US heading for Asia and a nonstop is not possible do to COVID restrictions (i.e. ORD-HKG-ORD) then there will be a stop over point either at NRT or GUM. The crew that picks up the flight at the stop over point flies the roundtrip i.e. NRT-XXX-NRT only or GUM-XXX-GUM only. Also not all intra-Asia cargo flights are operated with a 4 person crew. Take for instance NRT-PVG-NRT that roundtrip on many occasions is flown with just 2 pilots. UA's ground crews at both NRT and PVG are so efficient 2 pilots can operate this turn without running out of duty time. NRT-PEK-NRT and GUM-TPE-GUM has a longer flight time so 3 pilots are required to operate those turn. And if we are talking about GUM-SIN-GUM, or GUM-HKG-GUM then we need 4 pilots to operate the turn. But the crew that flies out of GUM or NRT on a intra-Asia cargo flight always returns back to their original departure point as does the aircraft. The aircraft is never routed NRT-HKG-GUM, both the crew and the aircraft operate a closed loop turn.

andrew1996

Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:58 pm

jayunited wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

For example ORD-PVG cargo flight will fly this route ORD-NRT (change crews) NRT-PVG-NRT (change crews) NRT-ORD.
Another example LAX-TPE cargo flight will fly this route LAX-GUM (change crews) GUM-TPE-GUM (change crews) GUM-LAX.
There are no NRT-HKG-GUM routings, although I can understand why you would think it's possible.

When a cargo flight leaves the US heading for Asia and a nonstop is not possible do to COVID restrictions (i.e. ORD-HKG-ORD) then there will be a stop over point either at NRT or GUM. The crew that picks up the flight at the stop over point flies the roundtrip i.e. NRT-XXX-NRT only or GUM-XXX-GUM only. Also not all intra-Asia cargo flights are operated with a 4 person crew. Take for instance NRT-PVG-NRT that roundtrip on many occasions is flown with just 2 pilots. UA's ground crews at both NRT and PVG are so efficient 2 pilots can operate this turn without running out of duty time. NRT-PEK-NRT and GUM-TPE-GUM has a longer flight time so 3 pilots are required to operate those turn. And if we are talking about GUM-SIN-GUM, or GUM-HKG-GUM then we need 4 pilots to operate the turn. But the crew that flies out of GUM or NRT on a intra-Asia cargo flight always returns back to their original departure point as does the aircraft. The aircraft is never routed NRT-HKG-GUM, both the crew and the aircraft operate a closed loop turn.

Just curious what types of cargo are being flown out of the US right now? Is it mainly fruits/vegetables to places like Singapore? What is flown back to the US from places like SIN or HKG other than face masks? These arnt really large manfaucting places like PVG.
Does UA codeshare with other airlines for cargo like they do for passengers with like NH?

Why does UA require its pilots to stay in GUM and not in TPE/SIN etc where there are no entry restrictions for flight crews.

MIflyer12

Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:17 pm

andrew1996 wrote:
Just curious what types of cargo are being flown out of the US right now? Is it mainly fruits/vegetables to places like Singapore? What is flown back to the US from places like SIN or HKG other than face masks? These arnt really large manfaucting places like PVG.

Really, not all goods the U.S. imports come from China. There are public data on U.S. imports and exports.

Look at goods, not goods and services. (Services don't travel in the bellies of widebody aircraft.)

Singapore was the United States' 18th largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.

U.S. goods imports from Singapore totaled $26.6 billion in 2018, up 37.4% ($7.2 billion) from 2017, and up 67.5% from 2008. U.S. imports from Singapore are up 75.8% from 2003 (pre-FTA). U.S. imports from Singapore account for 1.0% of overall U.S. imports in 2018.

The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: pharmaceuticals ($4.9 billion), machinery ($4.5 billion), special other (returns) ($3.4 billion), organic chemicals ($2.9 billion), and optical and medical instruments ($2.8 billion).

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/sout ... /singapore

And Hong Kong: https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/chin ... /hong-kong

Ishrion

Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:20 pm

United adds Houston to Tallahassee, Denver to Cheyenne

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-ai ... nnections/

Nicknuzzii

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:31 pm

Is it gonna be another quiet week for UA or will the October schedule drop?

avi8

Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:34 pm

Seems like IAH and DEN have been the focus hubs as of late.
avi8

strfyr51

Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:34 pm

OA412 wrote:
United1 wrote:
STT757 wrote:

So we finally answered what UA was going to do with the LGA slots they were using for LGA-CLE (5X daily).

To some extent yeah...the press release is a little confusing so I'm not sure exactly what is daily and what is peak day only. Either way looks like UA is jumping back into the point to point game.

There may be up too double daily service to all of those cities I listed from LGA.

https://hub.united.com/2020-08-12-adjus ... 62841.html

Looks like there will be flights from MKE, IND, CMH and PIT to Florida as well.

Interesting. That's quite a departure from UAs pre-COVID business model, but it makes sense if that's where the demand is right now.

Well? It looks like the regional approach to me. Where United has picked their cities and their Battles Like they did with the West Coast Shuttle years ago. And? that
might leave them to reprise that show as well. They Do have the Airplanes to do Both Coasts the same and to criss-cross the country as well. Hell! this might get interesting! they have a Maintenance team in South Florida and they can fly in Mechanics from all over the country if they need to.

joeblow10

Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:36 pm

It looks like UA is adding DEN-CYS and IAH-TLH too, announced today.

Interesting add at CYS - the airport had been subsidizing DFW-CYS and it seemed to be doing well. I wonder if there is any subsidy for the DEN service - does CYS still qualify under EAS? LAR isn’t too far down the road, nor is DEN itself

ScorpioMC3

Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:39 pm

jayunited wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

I work at the pilot crew desk. We do indeed route crews and aircraft NRT-HKG-GUM and vice-versa. This is more recent since we stopped laying crews over in HKG.

jayunited

Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:18 am

jayunited wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

I have to issue a correction to my earlier post. Usually UA does not route aircraft GUM-HKG-NRT. However today August 15, 2020 they did just that and I'm surprised no one from GUM corrected me especially seeing the reason for this last minute route change was because of a plane change at GUM.

This may get confusing because of Guam's location to the international time line, local departure times, and involved 3 77Ws, so the dates span 3 days August 14, 15, and 16.
Yesterday cargo flt UA2852-14 LAX-HKG (via GUM) tail number N2748U did not continue onward to HKG as scheduled. Instead tail number N2243U which was schedule cargo flight UA2851-15 HKG-LAX (via GUM) was turned back to HKG. These plane changes caused GUM ramp to have to offload 26,594 LBS of cargo off the inbound LAX flight UA2852-14, and 96,246 LBS of cargo off the inbound from HKG UA2851-15. Normally this does not happen, normally UA does not dump all the cargo off a flight at the crew rest stop. Normally most of the cargo loaded at the up-line station continues to the down-line station.

In doing a bit of research is looks like there may have been a captain refusal for an MEL on N2243U for the GUM-LAX leg on UA2851-15 so they swapped aircraft in GUM. As a result N2243U was re-routed GUM-HKG-NRT. Maintenance at NRT will clear the MEL on N2243U before the aircraft flies NRT-ORD as cargo flight UA2864-16. To balance the fleet back out tail number N2737U will operate cargo flights UA2865-15 ORD-HKG (via NRT) UA2851-16 HKG-LAX (via GUM).

I know it is confusing but this is exactly why airline operations run only using zulu time.

jetmatt777

Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:27 am

joeblow10 wrote:
It looks like UA is adding DEN-CYS and IAH-TLH too, announced today.

Interesting add at CYS - the airport had been subsidizing DFW-CYS and it seemed to be doing well. I wonder if there is any subsidy for the DEN service - does CYS still qualify under EAS? LAR isn’t too far down the road, nor is DEN itself

Glad to see any destinations added from DEN. I am barely on the layoff side of the knife - I rank about 51% (so barely in the bottom half) in seniority in DEN, and they sent letters to the bottom 50%. Hopefully, just a few of these adds will edge the numbers a little bit in my favor where I get my letter rescinded.

Interestingly enough, CYS is in a similar position as COS and PUB. Close enough to receive service, but in the months where it is the most helpful is when service is most likely to get canceled by weather. Those 200's on driveable stretched just have a tendency to be the first canceled when the visibility drops to zero or deicing is in effect. The main benefit to the public in the winter time is to avoid interstate closures on I-25 from snow and ice, and that's the least likely the flights operate.

I was always surprised we didn't serve CYS, though. Always seemed like a logical flight for the hub even if it loses money directly, the downline contributions can be helpful. Sometimes these small markets can be the difference in a flight to LAS, AUS, etc going out full instead of a few empty seats.

Amwest2United

Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:40 am

jayunited wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

Jay - They are operating NRT-HKG-GUM and GUM-HKG-NRT routings due to block time issues - its shorter block to operate that way, they can't do NRT-HKG-NRT. The NRT-HKG flight, 2865, originates ORD @ 1105L arriving NRT @ 1348L, then continues to HKG @ 1530 and arrives HKG @ 1835L, then turns flight 2851 HKG-GUM, 2135L-0444L, then onto LAX as thru flight 2851, departing 0545 and arriving LAX @ 0005L . The revers leaves LAX as flight 2852 @ 2210L arriving GUM @ 0311L, ten continues as thru flight 2852 @ 445am arriving HKG @ 0715, then turns HKG-NRT flight 2864 @ 0925a arriving NRT @ 1424L, then continues to ORD as through flight 2864 @ 1715L to arrive ORD @ 1510L. The crew changes are in fact Gum and NRT. This routing started @ the end of July. At one point they were planning to operate a NRT-HKG customer tag is why the times changed, not sure they are or not. It was set up to connect to SFO-NRT 837/838.
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

UAinAUS

Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:57 am

UAX Update:

CR2:
N430AW has returned to flying
N971SW has returned to flying

E175:
N106SY is the first E175 flying in the new 70-seat configuration (12F/16E+/42Y E175 Version 3).
This Config is to comply with scope rules once UA furloughs mainline pilots.

strfyr51

Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:10 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
NoNonsense wrote:
f further retirements are officially announced, it would stand to reason the 777-As, the 767-400ERs, and half the 767-300ERs will be the first to be retired, along with the oldest 737-800s, and maybe some of the A320 and A319s.

Retiring a few of many types doesn't really get you much in structural cost savings. The big $ is in retiring sub-types, or full types: it simplifies frame scheduling, it eliminates parts inventory, it eliminates a pilot work group (think of inefficiencies from small groups across multiple bases). The 757, 753, 767 and 764 all have a common type rating.

Now, if you forecast that demand is going to be depressed for years and you've got a dozen 27-year-old A320s it's pragmatic to recognize they have little value to the carrier. Send them to retirement early.

Given that the 737's can adequately cover any A320 route? I do not find it hard to believe that many of the more elderly 320's might leave the fleet. However?
the A319-132's from CZ are a different subject. All of them have FULL Transcon range though they're presently not ETOPS (though they could be so equipped), It only matters as to how United would choose to deploy them.

flight152

Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:25 am

strfyr51 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
NoNonsense wrote:
f further retirements are officially announced, it would stand to reason the 777-As, the 767-400ERs, and half the 767-300ERs will be the first to be retired, along with the oldest 737-800s, and maybe some of the A320 and A319s.

Retiring a few of many types doesn't really get you much in structural cost savings. The big $ is in retiring sub-types, or full types: it simplifies frame scheduling, it eliminates parts inventory, it eliminates a pilot work group (think of inefficiencies from small groups across multiple bases). The 757, 753, 767 and 764 all have a common type rating.

Now, if you forecast that demand is going to be depressed for years and you've got a dozen 27-year-old A320s it's pragmatic to recognize they have little value to the carrier. Send them to retirement early.

Given that the 737's can adequately cover any A320 route? I do not find it hard to believe that many of the more elderly 320's might leave the fleet. However?
the A319-132's from CZ are a different subject. All of them have FULL Transcon range though they're presently not ETOPS (though they could be so equipped), It only matters as to how United would choose to deploy them.

The former CZ 319’s don’t have any more range the the LUA 319’s.

palauanguy86

Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:07 am

jayunited wrote:
jayunited wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

I have to issue a correction to my earlier post. Usually UA does not route aircraft GUM-HKG-NRT. However today August 15, 2020 they did just that and I'm surprised no one from GUM corrected me especially seeing the reason for this last minute route change was because of a plane change at GUM.

This may get confusing because of Guam's location to the international time line, local departure times, and involved 3 77Ws, so the dates span 3 days August 14, 15, and 16.
Yesterday cargo flt UA2852-14 LAX-HKG (via GUM) tail number N2748U did not continue onward to HKG as scheduled. Instead tail number N2243U which was schedule cargo flight UA2851-15 HKG-LAX (via GUM) was turned back to HKG. These plane changes caused GUM ramp to have to offload 26,594 LBS of cargo off the inbound LAX flight UA2852-14, and 96,246 LBS of cargo off the inbound from HKG UA2851-15. Normally this does not happen, normally UA does not dump all the cargo off a flight at the crew rest stop. Normally most of the cargo loaded at the up-line station continues to the down-line station.

In doing a bit of research is looks like there may have been a captain refusal for an MEL on N2243U for the GUM-LAX leg on UA2851-15 so they swapped aircraft in GUM. As a result N2243U was re-routed GUM-HKG-NRT. Maintenance at NRT will clear the MEL on N2243U before the aircraft flies NRT-ORD as cargo flight UA2864-16. To balance the fleet back out tail number N2737U will operate cargo flights UA2865-15 ORD-HKG (via NRT) UA2851-16 HKG-LAX (via GUM).

I know it is confusing but this is exactly why airline operations run only using zulu time.

When the HKG trip first got added to GUM, it was routed ORD-NRT-HKG-GUM-LAX and the same in reverse. I think not even a week later it became LAX-GUM-HKG-GUM-LAX.

As for the tail swap, I started work right in the middle of all the cargo swapping and quickly got mixed into the morning chaos.

FlyHossD

Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:29 am

Amwest2United wrote:
jayunited wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

Jay - They are operating NRT-HKG-GUM and GUM-HKG-NRT routings due to block time issues - its shorter block to operate that way, they can't do NRT-HKG-NRT. The NRT-HKG flight, 2865, originates ORD @ 1105L arriving NRT @ 1348L, then continues to HKG @ 1530 and arrives HKG @ 1835L, then turns flight 2851 HKG-GUM, 2135L-0444L, then onto LAX as thru flight 2851, departing 0545 and arriving LAX @ 0005L . The revers leaves LAX as flight 2852 @ 2210L arriving GUM @ 0311L, ten continues as thru flight 2852 @ 445am arriving HKG @ 0715, then turns HKG-NRT flight 2864 @ 0925a arriving NRT @ 1424L, then continues to ORD as through flight 2864 @ 1715L to arrive ORD @ 1510L. The crew changes are in fact Gum and NRT. This routing started @ the end of July. At one point they were planning to operate a NRT-HKG customer tag is why the times changed, not sure they are or not. It was set up to connect to SFO-NRT 837/838.

Thanks for the explanation. I was taken aback a bit to see Jay's reply to my post as I'd just seen a copy of one such trip pairing; a pairing with the NRT-HKG-GUM routing. I may be retired, but still have frequent contact with former colleagues and family at UAL.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

calpsafltskeds

Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:53 pm

789 New delivery:
N24980 first revenue flight 2838/15Aug ORD-FCO
789 #32 in revenue service

Nicknuzzii

Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:13 pm

I’m not sure if this was mentioned before but after looking at EWR TATL schedule next year there are a lot of cuts.

Cities no longer with service;
ARN
MAN
NCE
PMO
PRG
SNN

Reduced Service;
AMS (1 of 2 daily)
CDG (1 of 2 daily)
LHR (Still showing 6x daily but likely to be reduced)

Nicknuzzii

Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:26 pm

IAH-TLH is a great add but I feel like it would work better from ORD or IAD. IAD-GNV would be nice too.

Judge1310

Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:59 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
I’m not sure if this was mentioned before but after looking at EWR TATL schedule next year there are a lot of cuts.

ARN
MAN
NCE
PMO
PRG
SNN

Reduced Service;
AMS (1 of 2 daily)
CDG (1 of 2 daily)

Who is even looking into next year at this point? Carriers are mainly focused on trying to get through this autumn and winter first....

Nicknuzzii

Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:09 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

ARN
MAN
NCE
PMO
PRG
SNN

Reduced Service;
AMS (1 of 2 daily)
CDG (1 of 2 daily)

Who is even looking into next year at this point? Carriers are mainly focused on trying to get through this autumn and winter first....

Clearly United and American are because they went through their international schedules.

Judge1310

Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:24 pm

To a point, maybe, but I can't speak about AA and to what their plans are.

With respect to UA, the only TATL service that is confirmed is valid through October. The info you brought up is lacking because a) it doesn't appear to bring up anything not already known and, b) you're missing departure points to fully explain the "Reduced Service" portion of your post.

Not ragging on you, but in our business these days the primary focus (not only, however) is to ensure economic viability through the historically low travel period of Q4 and Q1 (holidays, notwithstanding).

GTFspotter

Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Hello all,

Back in January UA announced service from SMX to LAX, DEN and SFO starting in the summer with 1x daily flights to each destination. I believe they unofficially (could not find a news article stating the delay) postponed service to starting Oct 1. However, I have tried to book SMX to DEN (a route I would actually fly) all the way into December and still nothing pops up. Does anybody have updated information for when they will start this route?
Thanks for the Info

EssentialBusDC

Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:43 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
NoNonsense wrote:

All of our Airbus, 319 and 320, have the capability to do transcons. Not sure why you think they don’t.

rjbesikof

Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:50 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

ARN
MAN
NCE
PMO
PRG
SNN

Reduced Service;
AMS (1 of 2 daily)
CDG (1 of 2 daily)

Looks like a lot of summer European flights from EWR are getting the ax. How are the other hubs doing with their long haul routes?

LAXdude1023

Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:41 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
IAH-TLH is a great add but I feel like it would work better from ORD or IAD. IAD-GNV would be nice too.

Why? IAH is the closest to TLH.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

ericm2031

Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:21 pm

GTFspotter wrote:
Hello all,

Back in January UA announced service from SMX to LAX, DEN and SFO starting in the summer with 1x daily flights to each destination. I believe they unofficially (could not find a news article stating the delay) postponed service to starting Oct 1. However, I have tried to book SMX to DEN (a route I would actually fly) all the way into December and still nothing pops up. Does anybody have updated information for when they will start this route?
Thanks for the Info

Early March, as of right now and LAX is no longer planned based on what is for sale

audidudi

Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:44 pm

Another ex-easyJet A319, G-EZIM, was ferried from LTN>QLA, and will become N2301U for UA:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GEZIM

codc10

Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:25 pm

GTFspotter wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks for the Info

Rolled back a season into March 2021.

See: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... arch-2021/

jayunited

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:31 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:

ARN
MAN
NCE
PMO
PRG
SNN

Reduced Service;
AMS (1 of 2 daily)
CDG (1 of 2 daily)

I'm not sure I would read to much into the 2021 spring/summer EWR-TATL schedule yet. Some people have already stated the obvious reasons but in addition to the reasons already given UA (and no airline for that fact) knows where leisure demand will be by spring 2021. Secondly we don't know if Europe will be reopened to US tourist and if we will have a viable vaccine.

Right now UA knows business travel will not be anywhere close to 2019 levels for quite some time. but because Europe has been closed and remains closed it is almost impossible for UA to predict (if Europe reopens to US tourist) how much pent-up demand there could be to leisure destinations. What I do know is UA is looking at being more flexible we are seeing that with the 2 month beta test point-to-point service to Florida. If revenue management together with network planning see an opportunity to make money on certain leisure routes like for example (NCE, PMO, and PRG) you may see UA proceed with launching these seasonal routes. I'm also hearing UA is keeping an eye on the 2021 European cruise season, (May through October) and what US cruise lines and even some European cruise lines intend to do. If (and I stress IF) there is a 2021 European cruise season and if Americans are allowed into Europe there could be some demand there as well especially since the entire 2020 cruise season was scrubbed. UA is keeping an eye on major cruise home port cities (or cities close to home ports) like BCN, FCO, ATH, and LHR (Southhampton Cruise Port) to perhaps respond if demand warrants and if there is money to be made.

Right now US to Europe spring/summer 2021 is the great unknown but if there is sufficient leisure demand don't be surprise to see UA make a slight seasonal adjustment to our European TATL schedule. Don't be surprised to see UA fly more leisure (seasonal) TATL routes next year if the demand is there. As we all know in the past ticket prices between the US and Europe generally skyrocket during the busy spring/summer travel season. If demand is there will the same happen in 2021? Right now no one knows but one thing UA continues to talk about both publicly and privately is the need to be flexible.

Amwest2United

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:01 am

Two new UA (OLD) Air Tran/Southwest B737-700's, delivered to UA in April and May, flew from PAE to ROW for storage today - UAL aircraft nose numbers 3758 (N15758) and 3759 (N17759)

I also didn't see where nose 3757 (N18757) left PAE, but it did on June 26th KPAE-KROW as well - UA2707, so all three are in ROW now and not in PAE

N7712G (N12763) is in PAE for delivery, entered on July 19th

Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

KLMatSJC

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:37 am

Amwest2United wrote:
Two new UA (OLD) Air Tran/Southwest B737-700's, delivered to UA in April and May, flew from PAE to ROW for storage today - UAL aircraft nose numbers 3758 (N15758) and 3759 (N17759)

I also didn't see where nose 3757 (N18757) left PAE, but it did on June 26th KPAE-KROW as well - UA2707, so all three are in ROW now and not in PAE

Are they getting paint immediately or will they only get it when activated? I assume 3757 hasn't been painted yet, because we would have seen a picture by now.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

adamblang

Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Sort of related, American's suspending service to these markets:

Del Rio, Texas
Dubuque, Iowa
Florence, S.C.
Greenville, N.C.
Huntington, W.Va.
Joplin, Mo.
Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, Mich. - established UAX service
Lake Charles, La. - established UAX service
New Haven, Conn.
New Windsor, N.Y.
Roswell, N.M.
Sioux City, Iowa - UAX service begins October 14th
Springfield, Ill. - established UAX service
Stillwater, Okla.
Williamsport, Pa.

Would be neat to see United drop a daily or less-than-daily RJ into some of these markets and elbow in on some American markets. That said, American is suspending these for a reason.

GmoneyCO

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:06 am

KLMatSJC wrote:
Amwest2United wrote:

Are they getting paint immediately or will they only get it when activated? I assume 3757 hasn't been painted yet, because we would have seen a picture by now.

They won't get paint for a while. There are also 3 ex-China Southern A319s that are ready to enter service but have not been painted yet. Given the number of painted aircraft parked and stored right now and the cash burn situation, they won't paint the aircraft until they see a need to bring them into service in short order. I imagine the ex-China Southern and ex-Southwest aircraft will sit at GYR in their former airline liveries until UA has brought the mainline fleet that will return to service back into service. I don't see them getting painted until ~March-April 2021 at this point.

jetmatt777

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:31 am

GmoneyCO wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
Amwest2United wrote:

They won't get paint for a while. There are also 3 ex-China Southern A319s that are ready to enter service but have not been painted yet. Given the number of painted aircraft parked and stored right now and the cash burn situation, they won't paint the aircraft until they see a need to bring them into service in short order. I imagine the ex-China Southern and ex-Southwest aircraft will sit at GYR in their former airline liveries until UA has brought the mainline fleet that will return to service back into service. I don't see them getting painted until ~March-April 2021 at this point.

have then been brought to conformity and have UA interiors installed and otherwise just waiting on paint?

GmoneyCO

Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:56 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
GmoneyCO wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

have then been brought to conformity and have UA interiors installed and otherwise just waiting on paint?

I know that the ex-China Southern A319s have. They undergo all of the induction work at XMN before they are ferried to SFO for a final check before storage. I can't speak to the ex-Southwest 737s. They undergo about 4 weeks worth of work at PAE before they are ferried to GYR but I am not sure what occurs over that 4 week period.

UAinAUS

Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:46 am

UAX Update:

CR2:
N405AW has returned to flying
N471ZW has returned to flying
N934SW has returned to flying

E145XR:
Ex-TSA frame N17146 ferried ALB in prep for transfer to CommutAir

jayunited

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:19 pm

United forced to reduce a planned September increase in service to Hawaii from the mainland.

With Hawaii announcing an extension of the mandatory 14 day quarantine the number of customer changing or canceling their travel plans has increased, forcing UA to respond by reducing or canceling our planned September increase in service on nine mainland-Hawaii routes.

Updated September schedule is as follows:
SFO-HNL: 2x daily
LAX-HNL: 1x daily
DEN-HNL: 1x daily
HNL-GUM: 1x daily
ORD-HNL: 3x weekly (Thurs, Fri, and Sat)
SFO-OGG: 1x daily
SFO-KOA: 1x daily

The new plan calls for United to resume additional service to Hawaii in October, but only if Hawaii is fully open. (Meaning no 14 day quarantine for all arriving passengers.)

Max Q

Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:32 am

jayunited wrote:
United forced to reduce a planned September increase in service to Hawaii from the mainland.

With Hawaii announcing an extension of the mandatory 14 day quarantine the number of customer changing or canceling their travel plans has increased, forcing UA to respond by reducing or canceling our planned September increase in service on nine mainland-Hawaii routes.

Updated September schedule is as follows:
SFO-HNL: 2x daily
LAX-HNL: 1x daily
DEN-HNL: 1x daily
HNL-GUM: 1x daily
ORD-HNL: 3x weekly (Thurs, Fri, and Sat)
SFO-OGG: 1x daily
SFO-KOA: 1x daily

The new plan calls for United to resume additional service to Hawaii in October, but only if Hawaii is fully open. (Meaning no 14 day quarantine for all arriving passengers.)

No EWR—HNL ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos