Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airbazar

Re: Updated: UA plans EWR-JNB/OGG, IAD-ACC/LOS, ORD-DEL/KOA, SFO-BLR

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:36 pm

sabby wrote:
BLR doesn't need "feeding". UA is clearly targeting BLR originating/terminating traffic, they can feed at SFO end if needed. I do agree LH will feel the burn. So far, Star alliance traffic were funneled via LH at FRA to both LH and UA.

And BA will feel the burn from the AA flight. But we're starting on a tangent now. There will always be people who prefer a 1-stop option too. Not everyone likes these ULH flights, especially people who can't afford a lie-flat seat. I agree that BLR doesn't need feeding. When I travel to BLR for work it's usually 1 of 2 stops in India (we have offices in various cities), and we use IndiGo for our domestic travel.
FriscoHeavy wrote:
Based on your response, you must not know. The SFO-SIN (westbound) was able to take a full load of passengers and about 7 tons of cargo on most days.

I meant to say SIN-LAX. Sorry, my mistake.
DylanHarvey wrote:
The Singapore flight was often 17 hours or more. And could still take a modest amount of cargo on a good day, Bangalore should be under 16 hours most of the time.

You might be right but here's SFO-DEL at 15+ hours most days.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /KSFO/VIDP
To BLR is at least another 1.5 hours. So pretty similar to LAX-SIN and slightly longer than SFO-SIN if my math is correct. However BLR-SFO can be flown Eastbound which improves performance by almost 1 hour and I be that is exactly what they will do. You can see them doing that from DEL on some days. Amazing.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /VIDP/KSFO

redrooster3

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:37 pm

N649DL wrote:
airboss787 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

That is a very selective statement, for years all UA sent to India was their oldest 772s.

Till the 77Ws arrived, those were literally the only aircraft they could operate with the demand that was there on both the routes. As soon as the 77Ws were available on a sufficient scale, they moved the longer EWR-BOM to 777-300ERs and have now converted EWR-DEL as well.

The 777-224s from CO are among some of the oldest in the fleet, sorry to say. Starting delivery in 1997-1998, and yes, if they're not Polaris-Based yet, they're looking shabby in the 2-2-2 configuration.

All of them except 1 aircraft (N77014) have shiny new polaris seats and are among the newer models with slightly better performance versus subUA 777s.
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!

DylanHarvey

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:42 pm

airbazar wrote:
sabby wrote:
BLR doesn't need "feeding". UA is clearly targeting BLR originating/terminating traffic, they can feed at SFO end if needed. I do agree LH will feel the burn. So far, Star alliance traffic were funneled via LH at FRA to both LH and UA.

And BA will feel the burn from the AA flight. But we're starting on a tangent now. There will always be people who prefer a 1-stop option too. Not everyone likes these ULH flights, especially people who can't afford a lie-flat seat. I agree that BLR doesn't need feeding. When I travel to BLR for work it's usually 1 of 2 stops in India (we have offices in various cities), and we use IndiGo for our domestic travel.
FriscoHeavy wrote:
Based on your response, you must not know. The SFO-SIN (westbound) was able to take a full load of passengers and about 7 tons of cargo on most days.

I meant to say SIN-LAX. Sorry, my mistake.
DylanHarvey wrote:
The Singapore flight was often 17 hours or more. And could still take a modest amount of cargo on a good day, Bangalore should be under 16 hours most of the time.

You might be right but here's SFO-DEL at 15+ hours most days.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /KSFO/VIDP
To BLR is at least another 1.5 hours. So pretty similar to LAX-SIN and slightly longer than SFO-SIN if my math is correct. However BLR-SFO can be flown Eastbound which improves performance by almost 1 hour and I be that is exactly what they will do. You can see them doing that from DEL on some days. Amazing.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /VIDP/KSFO

Yeah that’s is true, the 787 is no doubt very capable but ok some day’s we might see blocked seats. Leaving BLR at 3,000AMSL might be harder, I remember jayunited saying cargo gets jettisoned from the 89 out of Australia on hot days. I can’t help but think but think the slight edge the 359 has would help these routes, but 789s size is valuable now when demand isn’t crazy high.

IFlyVeryLittle

Re: Why United should establish a new TPA hub (or at least a focus city)

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:52 pm

Beyond all the business reasons why a hub in TPA doesn't make sense, the design of the airport doesn't work as a hub. Not sure an operation of that size could hold to one airside terminal. If that turns out to be the case, it's not practical to ask passengers to ride the train back to the landside, ride a new train to a new airside AND rescreen through TSA. Right now, the airside TSA locations are very handy because you're only standing in line with a smaller segment of the airport's total passenger load -- a major advantage over the similarly designed MCO with landside TSA. Would TPA agree to redo that for one airline? Doubtful.

jayunited

Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:07 pm

SATexan wrote:
However, UA's decision to start ORD-DEL is rather puzzling. It's a large market but a very competitive one. There are no major business ties to speak of. The yields weren't good when AA operated the route albeit in a premium heavy aircraft. UA already has four (including BLR) other flights to India which is already a lot of capacity in a post COVID world. I agree that DEL has historically been the "go to market" in India. But, just look around all across USA today, an overwhelming majority of Indians you see come from the Deccan Plateau and the coast surrounding it. Overserving DEL is not going to do any good to those passengers.

Finally, airlines such as Singapore Airlines, Lufthansa and Cathay were milking the SFO-BLR sector. Singapore is vulnerable since it is out of the way and relied heavily on its superior service. Lufthansa will lose some premium travellers on SFO-BLR and also will have to deal with a more extensive UA network to India.

I think AA's ORD-DEL flight failed because it was launched at the wrong time and the 77E certainly wasn't the right aircraft especially in the configuration AA utilized back then. ORD-DEL is a little bit further than EWR-DEL and UA's GE engined 77Es struggled on this route and were weight restricted daily and also had balance problems because of the high fuel load. I'm sure AA had the same problems as well.

However the 789 has proven to be a much more capable aircraft than the 77E and for UA the 789 has in some cases been the deciding factor between a route struggling to turn a profit or in some cases being unprofitable to being profitable with the 789. There are a few routes that come to mind where the 789 made the difference, UA's SYD flights and also UA's LAX-PVG flight. Also it is not all about the 789 another reason you are seeing UA growing the network in India is because late last year United and Vistara established a codeshare agreement. Even though UA and AI are in the same alliance United has decided not to work closely with Air India, instead choosing to partner with Vistara. Together with Vistara UA will be able to expand the reach of our network in India. As a result of the codeshare UA has expanded the network in India to over 20 additional destination, American did not have any of this going for them and this is why AA failed.

jayunited

Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:35 pm

DylanHarvey wrote:
Yeah that’s is true, the 787 is no doubt very capable but ok some day’s we might see blocked seats. Leaving BLR at 3,000AMSL might be harder, I remember jayunited saying cargo gets jettisoned from the 89 out of Australia on hot days. I can’t help but think but think the slight edge the 359 has would help these routes, but 789s size is valuable now when demand isn’t crazy high.

You start to see performance penalties when the temperature hits 95F/97F or 35C/36C, at those temps you are holding off at least 3,000 LBS of cargo if not more.

Then there are days when UA has had to jettison all the cargo out of SYD but only when the temperature exceeds 105F or 107F / 40C or 41.6C. If we are looking at a full pax cabin and you are talking temperatures in this range or higher in most cases you can forget about taking the cargo out of SYD or MEL in some cases the non revs have to be pulled off the aircraft. There are days during the southern hemispheres summer where even though the dispatcher has padded the temperature, 2-4 degrees in the release it isn't enough. Sydney at 10:00 is already pushing 101F/102F and the captain 20 minutes before departure will have the dispatcher rerun the flight plan with a temp of 105F because the captain knows they are going to sit on the ground after push back waiting for the runway for another 20-30 minutes, and it blows everything out of the water.

The 789 is a very capable aircraft, and it does have its limits, but it still performs a hell of a lot better than the 77E. :D

iadbudd

Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:56 pm

cityshuttle wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
cityshuttle wrote:
Very nice adds. Will be interesting to see how DL replies on JNB / CPT ... and if AA might also consider South Africa, but then from which hub ... MIA ?

UA is taking over the Star Alliance traffic as South African fades and, possibly, ultimately fails completely - especially on long haul routes.

I could see DL adding JFK-JNB/CPT as traffic to South Africa regains strength. They do seem to be at a disadvantage without the 787, however.

Not too sure if the SAA flight can be considered *A traffic (yes, they are a member) since they flew to JFK. In another thread I had already suggested they should have switched to EWR instead to enable UA connections.

So now with UA taking over that route and offering connections via EWR it can be called a better *A routing than what SAA offered to JFK.

Also a great replacement of SAA’s routes from ACC / LOS to the US as the long haul network by SAA won’t come back anytime soon, if at all.

The routes to India will be interesting to watch in regards to AA and AI competition. But UA should do fine here.

SAA Star alliance feed was strongest at IAD with UA feeding pax all day long to them for their 1745 departure to ACC-JNB. arrival from JNB-ACC was 0630 and connected perfectly with the 0830 and 1230 departure bank of UA flights.

JFKalumni

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:16 pm

iadbudd wrote:
cityshuttle wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

UA is taking over the Star Alliance traffic as South African fades and, possibly, ultimately fails completely - especially on long haul routes.

I could see DL adding JFK-JNB/CPT as traffic to South Africa regains strength. They do seem to be at a disadvantage without the 787, however.

Not too sure if the SAA flight can be considered *A traffic (yes, they are a member) since they flew to JFK. In another thread I had already suggested they should have switched to EWR instead to enable UA connections.

So now with UA taking over that route and offering connections via EWR it can be called a better *A routing than what SAA offered to JFK.

Also a great replacement of SAA’s routes from ACC / LOS to the US as the long haul network by SAA won’t come back anytime soon, if at all.

The routes to India will be interesting to watch in regards to AA and AI competition. But UA should do fine here.

SAA Star alliance feed was strongest at IAD with UA feeding pax all day long to them for their 1745 departure to ACC-JNB. arrival from JNB-ACC was 0630 and connected perfectly with the 0830 and 1230 departure bank of UA flights.

Yes the Star Alliance feed at IAD was strong but believe me the feed was stronger at JFK. JetBlue was taking a large portion of the connection traffic from the SAA 203 arrival. The interline belt at T4 was always filled with connecting interline bags to MCO, FLL, BUF, ROC,TPA,SFO and BOS for B6. You also had lots of connection bags to AC Jazz flights to YYZ.

VTORD

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:22 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
ORD is a great place for indian business people to connect to the Midwest and DEL is a great place for ORD businesses to connect to northern India. Chicago has boomed with Indian immigrants over the last 25 years and is almost double the Indian pop of LA (big change from before). Shows you that Chicago has plenty of high skilled jobs which then usually means some connection to India.

This is an important point. A lot of midwest based manufacturing businesses have a significant presence in India (most notably Cummins just south of IND), pharma and the polymers space that come to my mind. TCS for e.g., has a huge contract with Nielsen in Schaumburg and I haven't kept abreast but Infosys is supposed to be rolling out a campus in Indy. Not to mention IU/Purdue traffic to ORD particularly with DL pulling the IND-CDG flight for now.

DylanHarvey

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:44 pm

jayunited wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:

You start to see performance penalties when the temperature hits 95F/97F or 35C/36C, at those temps you are holding off at least 3,000 LBS of cargo if not more.

Then there are days when UA has had to jettison all the cargo out of SYD but only when the temperature exceeds 105F or 107F / 40C or 41.6C. If we are looking at a full pax cabin and you are talking temperatures in this range or higher in most cases you can forget about taking the cargo out of SYD or MEL in some cases the non revs have to be pulled off the aircraft. There are days during the southern hemispheres summer where even though the dispatcher has padded the temperature, 2-4 degrees in the release it isn't enough. Sydney at 10:00 is already pushing 101F/102F and the captain 20 minutes before departure will have the dispatcher rerun the flight plan with a temp of 105F because the captain knows they are going to sit on the ground after push back waiting for the runway for another 20-30 minutes, and it blows everything out of the water.

The 789 is a very capable aircraft, and it does have its limits, but it still performs a hell of a lot better than the 77E. :D

Valuable information as always. And yes the 77E was a pioneer in it’s time, but the time is now for the Dreamliner and the Airbus. How much of a difference would it make if UA had taken The higher thrust GENx? They have 72 or 73k on the 89 now right?

HouStrategies

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:31 pm

catiii wrote:
HouStrategies wrote:
catiii wrote:

No, YOU said:

If "much more expensive" is a proxy for where they are choosing, that's not the case. In fact, a recent NY Times article in the last 7 days noted that 45% of those leaving from the tri-state went to Broward/Dade/Palm Beach Counties. That would leave 55% of those leaving for the entirety of the rest of Florida, to include Orlando, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Naples, and the panhandle outside of Tampa.

Maybe some northerners live outside NYC? ;-) UA already has a strong presence in NYC and will certainly capture plenty of them that move anywhere going back and forth to NYC. But there is also the potential migration of many others across a wide swath of the northern cold belt to Florida, and the overall strong growth rate in the Tampa MSA implies they will attract a lot of them. And, did I mention that MIA and FLL are already saturated with competition?

Where is the data though that shows that “northerners” are choosing TPA over Palm Beach/Broward/Dade Counties?

A link to a Wikipedia page about relative growth in the Tampa MSA isn’t dispositive of that claim.

NYT quote: "In Miami-Dade, Pinellas, and Hillsborough counties, much of the annual gain was at higher price points. Brokers say that many of those moving to Florida are coming from northern cities." Those second two are around Tampa. They are choosing both. My only claim is that MIA and FLL are saturated with competition, and that TPA is a more open opportunity.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/real ... orida.html

blockski

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:47 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
The demographics don’t really matter. The problem posted at the beginning of this thread still stands:

The only value TPA would bring as a UA hub would be to serve as a LATAM/SA gateway. So why would UA compete against itself at IAH?

Yep. The idea that TPA would make a good SE hub is completely unsupported. Draw a 500 mile circle around TPA, and most of the area is water. That's not the case if you draw a 500 mile circle around CLT or ATL.

So, if TPA can't work well as a domestic connector for intra-SE traffic, then the only remaining hub business case has to be for Caribbean, Central and South American traffic - and that case is much weaker.

CALTECH

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:54 pm

jayunited wrote:
I don't want to go too deep on this topic on this thread because the last thing I want to do is drag this thread off course. My purpose was to simply provide an update for N16008 the only UA grounded 787, and to see if anyone knew whether or not repairs had begun especially since it has been about two weeks since that frame last took to the skies.

Boeing just arrived EWR 9/11, along with 3 trucks full of stuff. Sounds like Boeing will do the repair. No repair started yet. Other maintenance has been performed.
You are here.

jayunited

Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:58 pm

CALTECH wrote:
jayunited wrote:
I don't want to go too deep on this topic on this thread because the last thing I want to do is drag this thread off course. My purpose was to simply provide an update for N16008 the only UA grounded 787, and to see if anyone knew whether or not repairs had begun especially since it has been about two weeks since that frame last took to the skies.

Boeing just arrived EWR 9/11, along with 3 trucks full of stuff. Sounds like Boeing will do the repair. No repair started yet. Other maintenance has been performed.

Thank you for the update, that is great news.

airboss787

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:11 pm

N649DL wrote:
airboss787 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

That is a very selective statement, for years all UA sent to India was their oldest 772s.

Till the 77Ws arrived, those were literally the only aircraft they could operate with the demand that was there on both the routes. As soon as the 77Ws were available on a sufficient scale, they moved the longer EWR-BOM to 777-300ERs and have now converted EWR-DEL as well.

The 777-224s from CO are among some of the oldest in the fleet, sorry to say. Starting delivery in 1997-1998, and yes, if they're not Polaris-Based yet, they're looking shabby in the 2-2-2 configuration.

But that wasn't my point. Even then, the point was that they did not have a choice up until a few years ago. That was the only aircraft capable of handling the distance and demand on the route. You were almost guaranteed a Polaris configured even on the 77Es for about a year now. Now both routes are guaranteed Polaris and the new SFO-BLR route whenever it starts will also have guaranteed Polaris.

The European airlines and Asian airlines were notorious for sending inferior products to India but even that has changed now for the most part. United has been pretty good about sending updated aircraft to India.
Star Alliance Gold

jayunited

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:21 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
why not launch more routes to Houston? I think the last one was Sydney, even LAX and DEN have received new routes in recent years, because IAH does not :(

UA merged with CO how many years ago? For the most part ORD has been the forgotten about hub the only new international flights we had since the merger were on 752s to DUB, SNN, and EDI and 2 of those destinations were canceled before COVID ever hit. UA never launched a new long haul international destination on a widebody from ORD until this year, and UA merged with CO in May of 2010.

Ten years of no new widebodies, ten years of no new international flights on a widebody, ten years of waiting, hoping our day would come. Every time UA announced new international routes I would always read the comment section on Flying Together because although people at ORD were happy, they were also sad. There would always be multiple comments "what about ORD". I want to feel pity for IAH but the truth is I don't because it is about time UA shows ORD some love.

dtw2hyd

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:34 pm

airboss787 wrote:
United has been pretty good about sending updated aircraft to India.

Do you have any data to support your claim?

How many times young 77Es were sent or How many times Polaris configured 77Es were sent to India.

Point is you cannot change a passengers real experience with hypothetical scenarios.

Yes UA is sending brand-new planes to India now. No argument there.
All posts are just opinions.

Scoots71

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:37 pm

blockski wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:
The demographics don’t really matter. The problem posted at the beginning of this thread still stands:

The only value TPA would bring as a UA hub would be to serve as a LATAM/SA gateway. So why would UA compete against itself at IAH?

Yep. The idea that TPA would make a good SE hub is completely unsupported. Draw a 500 mile circle around TPA, and most of the area is water. That's not the case if you draw a 500 mile circle around CLT or ATL.

So, if TPA can't work well as a domestic connector for intra-SE traffic, then the only remaining hub business case has to be for Caribbean, Central and South American traffic - and that case is much weaker.

This. Florida hubs are best only for tourism or for Caribbean, Central and South America.

When you start looking at major SE cities that could fill the gap for UA geographically, you start to run out of options. All of the major cities that make sense geographically already have strongholds (BNA-WN could challenge, ATL-DL, CLT-AA). From a pure geographic standpoint for a domestic intra-SE connector, infrastructure and demand notwithstanding the only major cities left are BHM, MEM (only about 550 mi to IAH and ORD), RDU (too close to IAD). Outside of those markets, you are starting to get too close to the other UA hubs.

UA has a rough go to improve the SE service offerings.

Pinto

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:54 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
airboss787 wrote:

How many times young 77Es were sent or How many times Polaris configured 77Es were sent to India.

Point is you cannot change a passengers real experience with hypothetical scenarios.

EWR - BOM has been a 77W for a while and that is definitely Polaris.

airboss787

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:13 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
airboss787 wrote:

As mentioned N77014 is the only 77E with no Polaris. That has been to DEL only 7 times in the last 1 year. As you should know, BOM has been on the 77W for a few years now, since 2018.

I don't know where you got your point about passenger experience. Nobody is talking about that. And that is definitely not anyone's point here.

Your last point is what I am talking about and we agree. So that's cool.
Star Alliance Gold

andrew1996

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:19 pm

Does UA have enough 789s to launch the new routes without cutting flights on its pre-covid schedule? Does this mean that we will see some pre-covid flights cut? I remember the 789s were stretched pretty thin before the pandemic and they are launching even more routes now and the 789 routes will require 2+ frames to maintain a daily frequency. For example, to serve SIN and SYD UA uses 3-4 frames to sustain double daily each so these frames get used up fast. Any guesses what routes UA will cut if the 789s are stretched thin?

catiii

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:23 pm

HouStrategies wrote:
[

NYT quote: "In Miami-Dade, Pinellas, and Hillsborough counties, much of the annual gain was at higher price points. Brokers say that many of those moving to Florida are coming from northern cities." Those second two are around Tampa. They are choosing both. My only claim is that MIA and FLL are saturated with competition, and that TPA is a more open opportunity.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/real ... orida.html

Nothing you have provided though has validated that more northerners are choosing the TPA area, or that TPA is "more open to opportunity" competitively.

machbullet

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:40 pm

avi8 wrote:
Quick question. I was looking at Flightradar24 and noticed that, during the evening bank at IAH, there were 39 flights operated by E175 aircraft. That’s more than half of the destinations served during that specific bank. Is the utilization of the E175 being capitalized as much as possible because of the pandemic? How does that compare to other UA hubs?

Glad I'm not the only one wondering this

machbullet

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:41 pm

andrew1996 wrote:
Does UA have enough 789s to launch the new routes without cutting flights on its pre-covid schedule? Does this mean that we will see some pre-covid flights cut? I remember the 789s were stretched pretty thin before the pandemic and they are launching even more routes now and the 789 routes will require 2+ frames to maintain a daily frequency. For example, to serve SIN and SYD UA uses 3-4 frames to sustain double daily each so these frames get used up fast. Any guesses what routes UA will cut if the 789s are stretched thin?

COVID is a great opportunity for airlines to try new things and get rid of what didn't work, it seems like that is exactly what we are seeing

DC8FanJet

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:45 pm

andrew1996 wrote:

United has continued to take delivery of 789s, latest just a couple of weeks ago. More are still due. Should have enough.

machbullet

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:45 pm

Ishrion wrote:
More detailed launch dates, but not the exact ones:

SFO-BLR May 2021
EWR-JNB March 2021
ORD-DEL December 2020
IAD-ACC May 2021
IAD-LOS May 2021
ORD-KOA and OGG-EWR June 2021

https://crankyflier.com/2020/09/10/unit ... long-haul/

I hope 2021 goes by faster than 2020 because that feels like a long time away. At least sensible heads prevail at UA for not trying to launch these next month.

readytotaxi

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:58 pm

If the economy in SA continues its downward trend that EWR-JNB in six months time might not transpire.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Pinto

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:00 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
why not launch more routes to Houston? I think the last one was Sydney, even LAX and DEN have received new routes in recent years, because IAH does not :(

Geographically IAH is too far south or west for most new routes. EWR/ORD/IAD can do US-Europe turns and only need 1 frame per flight per day and are better suited for people connecting.

LAXdude1023

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Pinto wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

Geographically IAH is too far south or west for most new routes. EWR/ORD/IAD can do US-Europe turns and only need 1 frame per flight per day and are better suited for people connecting.

While Id love to expand IAH internationally, Im realistic about it. Any new destinations from IAH would probably be in Latin America. I would be happy just to keep what we had outside of that (LHR, NRT, AMS, FRA, and MUC). NZ could cover the South Pacific just fine for us so I dont know that SYD needs to come back.

Long term Id be happy to forgo sexy long haul route expansion in favor building up the domestic network.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

9252fly

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:29 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
If the economy in SA continues its downward trend that EWR-JNB in six months time might not transpire.

A lot of travel is foreign inbound and with the economy struggling, it's likely to create further demand as the local Rand currency depreciates. South Africa is a popular holiday destination and I don't foresee that changing. The locals that travel with continue to do so, just maybe a little less. Business traffic will continue as usual as long as the country is still deemed to be the industrial powerhouse of the continent.

FSDan

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:09 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:

You must be talking only about international. On the domestic side, pre-COVID UA had launched (or was planning on launching) various new IAH domestic routes over the last few years: BOI, ONT, CAK, and BDL come to mind, and even post-COVID SkyWest moved their PIB/MEI EAS service from DFW on AA to IAH on UA.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

FSDan

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:13 pm

avi8 wrote:
Quick question. I was looking at Flightradar24 and noticed that, during the evening bank at IAH, there were 39 flights operated by E175 aircraft. That’s more than half of the destinations served during that specific bank. Is the utilization of the E175 being capitalized as much as possible because of the pandemic? How does that compare to other UA hubs?

Even pre-COVID, IAH was becoming quite E75-heavy (which is wayyy better than being ER4-heavy, which is was a decade ago). Even some fairly major routes. I believe IAH-DCA generally had a mix of 5x daily E70/E75s + 3x daily 319/320/73G/738.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

jayunited

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:38 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
While Id love to expand IAH internationally, Im realistic about it. Any new destinations from IAH would probably be in Latin America. I would be happy just to keep what we had outside of that (LHR, NRT, AMS, FRA, and MUC). NZ could cover the South Pacific just fine for us so I dont know that SYD needs to come back.

Long term Id be happy to forgo sexy long haul route expansion in favor building up the domestic network.

I agree. I don't think IAH-SYD will return until IATA winter 2022 at the earliest (being very optimistic you don't want to take all their hope away).

Both SFO and LAX have strong O&D markets to Australia whereas IAH was around 85% dependent on connections daily. With VA potentially sidelined (internationally) for the next few years I think once Australia reopens all airlines may see a bump in yields especially if there is strong demand. VA's absence will remove a lot of capacity from the U.S. - Australia market. I'm not sure UA is going to want to throw IAH back into the mix right out of the gate. If I'm going to give my honest (non-optimistic) opinion I don't see IAH-SYD returning until IATA winter 2024. In all honesty UA can make SFO/LAX work with a 789 (LAX year around, and SFO April-October) and a 77W (SFO November-March). Also I think UA would want to bring back LAX-MEL and SFO-MEL before IAH-SYD. One last thing is if there is an opportunity for UA to jump on SFO-BNE (even if it is seasonal) I think UA would go after that opportunity before bringing back IAH-SYD.

Like you said the first thing UA has to focus on especially at our interior hubs (ORD, DEN, IAH) is rebuilding the domestic network. Before IAH-SYD can ever return the domestic network has to be rebuilt, because without a strong domestic network IAH-SYD would have never been possible to begin with.

wn676

Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:30 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
airboss787 wrote:

Hopefully I can provide a little more clarity. As already mentioned, BOM switched to the 77W in late 2018. DEL started receiving more Polaris-equipped 772s in the latter half of last year which was coincidentally around the same time that UA had completed a meaningful number of retrofits on the -224s (I believe about a third of that fleet was complete at the start of 3Q). Also remember that operations were suspending through the middle half of last year. Combine those two factors and it’s not hard to see why only a small percentage of those flights were on Polaris-equipped aircraft.

One other point is that prior to the new Polaris seat being introduced, the 772s sent to BOM and DEL always had the newer and (as I’m sure most will agree) better J configuration compared to their sUA counterparts with the perplexing 2-4-2 layout. Before anyone points it out I know there are performance and other considerations that drove that decision as well, but if we’re really going to compare old/dated J cabins, it’s worth at least mentioning.
Last edited by wn676 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

aemoreira1981

Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:39 pm

EWR-OGG and ORD-KOA are the real surprises if you ask me. As for JNB, I expect that to be EWR-CPT-JNB (JNB being too high to make it nonstop).

As for SFO-BLR, it should be noted that Kingfisher Airlines had actually ordered five A345s, which would have been for routes like BLR to SFO. The computer industry wanted that route.

As for equipment guesses: EWR-OGG on the B764, IAD to Africa is on the B788, ORD-DEL is on the B77W, ORD-KOA is on the B772 (non-ER), and EWR-JNB and SFO-BLR are on the B789. I would not be surprised if all EWR-SFO flying became internationally-equipped planes only.

But what kind of restriction would exist on JNB-EWR?

nry

Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:46 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
ORD-DEL is on the B77W

Is ORD a 77W base for United today?
B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, B787, DC9/MD80, DC10, MD11
A319, A320 (+neo), A321, A330, A340
L1011
ATR77, CRJ200, CRJ700, E145, E170, E175

DylanHarvey

Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:50 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
EWR-OGG and ORD-KOA are the real surprises if you ask me. As for JNB, I expect that to be EWR-CPT-JNB (JNB being too high to make it nonstop).

As for SFO-BLR, it should be noted that Kingfisher Airlines had actually ordered five A345s, which would have been for routes like BLR to SFO. The computer industry wanted that route.

As for equipment guesses: EWR-OGG on the B764, IAD to Africa is on the B788, ORD-DEL is on the B77W, ORD-KOA is on the B772 (non-ER), and EWR-JNB and SFO-BLR are on the B789. I would not be surprised if all EWR-SFO flying became internationally-equipped planes only.

You're gonna have fun with a 764 from OGG. ACC/LOS is the 788, JNB and India is gonna be 789, and Hawaii will be all 763 IIRC.

Max Q

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:10 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
Beyond all the business reasons why a hub in TPA doesn't make sense, the design of the airport doesn't work as a hub. Not sure an operation of that size could hold to one airside terminal. If that turns out to be the case, it's not practical to ask passengers to ride the train back to the landside, ride a new train to a new airside AND rescreen through TSA. Right now, the airside TSA locations are very handy because you're only standing in line with a smaller segment of the airport's total passenger load -- a major advantage over the similarly designed MCO with landside TSA. Would TPA agree to redo that for one airline? Doubtful.

Doesn’t Southwest already run a hub from one airside at TPA ?

Not sure that transferring to other airsides is an issue
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

MAH4546

Re: United New Route Announcement 9/9/2020

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:14 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Where would AA fly from? PHL?

Miami is a decent local market to South Africa (third largest South African diaspora after Perth and London) and has great feed, but JFK is unserved without SAA and a larger local market also with decent feed. So probably one of those two over PHL.

Thats actually not true (about the diaspora). Miami has the 7th largest South African community in the US. Worldwide, Dubai and New Zealand will also be far larger.

These were the largest South African communities as of 2019.
Los Angeles/Riverside - 8,611
New York - 7,333
Washington DC/Baltimore - 5,310
San Francisco/Oakland - 4,552
Dallas/Fort Worth - 4,284
Atlanta - 3,782
Philadelphia - 3,246
Miami/For Lauderdale - 3,211
Boston/Providence - 3,107
Houston - 2,775
Seattle/Tacoma - 2,773
Phoenix - 2,482
Chicago - 2,030
Denver - 1,910
San Diego - 1,897
Minneapolis/St. Paul - 1,578
Detroit - 1,235
Portland, OR - 1,044

Those numbers only tell a small story. SAA ran multiple COVID repatriation flights not to Atlanta or Philadelphia or DC but to Miami, because of the large community in South Florida, many of whom work seasonally in the hospitality industry.
a.

Max Q

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:20 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Pinto wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

Never understood why CDG was dropped from IAH, that was a staple route for years in the Continental days
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

airboss787

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:26 pm

nry wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
ORD-DEL is on the B77W

Didn’t the press release mention daily 789? Is that a guess or they upped the aircraft already?
Star Alliance Gold

flybry

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:26 pm

Agreed. A Tampa hub is needed by United.

CONTACREW

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:36 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:

ORD-DEL will be operated on the 789.
EWR-OGG 763
ORD-KOA 788
EWR-JNB 789
SFO-BLR 789
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

CONTACREW

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:37 pm

airboss787 wrote:
nry wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
ORD-DEL is on the B77W

Didn’t the press release mention daily 789? Is that a guess or they upped the aircraft already?

It will be operated with the 789. Reading his post he was guessing what each route would be operated with.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

CONTACREW

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:38 pm

DylanHarvey wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

You're gonna have fun with a 764 from OGG. ACC/LOS is the 788, JNB and India is gonna be 789, and Hawaii will be all 763 IIRC.

EWR-OGG 763
ORD-KOA 788

Trk1

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:57 pm

Iah to cog was dropped with the switch to star alliance as it was no longer a connecting alliance hub

dtw2hyd

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:58 pm

wn676 wrote:
Hopefully I can provide a little more clarity. As already mentioned, BOM switched to the 77W in late 2018. DEL started receiving more Polaris-equipped 772s in the latter half of last year which was coincidentally around the same time that UA had completed a meaningful number of retrofits on the -224s (I believe about a third of that fleet was complete at the start of 3Q). Also remember that operations were suspending through the middle half of last year. Combine those two factors and it’s not hard to see why only a small percentage of those flights were on Polaris-equipped aircraft.

One other point is that prior to the new Polaris seat being introduced, the 772s sent to BOM and DEL always had the newer and (as I’m sure most will agree) better J configuration compared to their sUA counterparts with the perplexing 2-4-2 layout. Before anyone points it out I know there are performance and other considerations that drove that decision as well, but if we’re really going to compare old/dated J cabins, it’s worth at least mentioning.

This is the answer I was looking for, all I got is a bunch of out of context references and an imaginary Polaris configured 772/77W to India in 2017 (initial post).
All posts are just opinions.

mapletux

Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:55 am

aircountry wrote:
LH658 wrote:
Why IAD - LOS over IAH - LOS?

I wonder why they picked IAD over IAH.....Houston have much larger Nigerian than Washington, DC and not to worry about the oil business up or down just number of Nigerian want to go home or visit family, friends and connection.

There is government and NGO related traffic going to Washington as well as a large Nigerian population in Maryland. I'm also guessing that connections from other parts of the USA may look more appealing as there will be no back tracking.

jayunited

Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:10 am

Trk1 wrote:
Iah to cog was dropped with the switch to star alliance as it was no longer a connecting alliance hub

No IAH-CDG was dropped well after CO had joined Star.

At the time Smisek gave some b.s. excuse that didn't hold water, but the flight was dropped during a time when UA and the city of Houston was engaged in a public dispute over HOU, and allowing international flights to operate out of HOU. The truth is UA really wanted to block WN from expanding internationally out of Houston at HOU.

If my memory serves me correctly I think Smisek stated at the time that allowing international flights to operate out of HOU posed a direct threat to international operations at IAH. I guess he thought threatening to reduce international operations at IAH would convince the city of Houston to rule in United's favor against WN. The one thing Smisek didn't factor into his decision wa the fact at UA was not CO and UA had already burned Houston when they decided to keep headquarters in Chicago over Houston. Needless to say Smisek was wrong and in my opinion he retaliated childishly by canceling IAH-CDG.

AMS is not a Star hub but that flight stuck around and remained on a 77E and IAH-AMS resumes passenger service in October though service will operate weekly instead of daily for the time being.

intotheair

Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:15 am

Didn’t UA swap IAH-CDG for SFO-CDG? That’s how I remember it at least.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos