Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
sldispatcher
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:49 pm

I have to believe the pilot/FA bidding process is tied into schedule release somehow. Those events need to work in a symbiotic fashion I would hope.
 
Amchi757300
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:19 am

UAL odd choice running 777-200(non ER) SFO to NRT

Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:32 pm

UAL appears to be running a cargo op or some other odd service using a 777-200 non-ER jet today, SFO to NRT (UAL2721). Can't imagine the rationale for this; would expect cargo ops to be limited using this bird unless fuel stops on the way back (assuming it is picking up cargo in NRT or some further on destination).

UAL has been running a lot of cargo ops with the 77W and 788, but this is the first time i'm seeing the 777-200 non-ER.

Can any of you ops folks venture a guess for this choice of plane?

https://www.flightradar24.com/UAL2721/2638b3ce
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25406
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Don't see an issue. The cabin is empty, so not much weight on the aircraft vs if had an actual full load.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
gon2fly
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Re: UAL odd choice running 777-200(non ER) SFO to NRT

Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:01 pm

Amchi757300 wrote:
UAL appears to be running a cargo op or some other odd service using a 777-200 non-ER jet today, SFO to NRT (UAL2721). Can't imagine the rationale for this; would expect cargo ops to be limited using this bird unless fuel stops on the way back (assuming it is picking up cargo in NRT or some further on destination).

UAL has been running a lot of cargo ops with the 77W and 788, but this is the first time i'm seeing the 777-200 non-ER.

Can any of you ops folks venture a guess for this choice of plane?

https://www.flightradar24.com/UAL2721/2638b3ce


We are running cargo only flights on 777s to/from GUM, SYD, NRT, PVG, MEL, LHR, FCO, CDG, FRA, TPE, BRU, AMS.....and a few others I am probably missing. As previously mentioned, when the upstairs is empty, the range of the aircraft is higher than what you will normally see. Our 777 fleet numbers around 95, so putting them to use where and as needed.
 
gon2fly
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:21 am

sldispatcher wrote:
I have to believe the pilot/FA bidding process is tied into schedule release somehow. Those events need to work in a symbiotic fashion I would hope.


January trip pairings were released to the pilots tonight for bidding.....which means the January schedule/plan is turning into something past wet concrete.
 
Amchi757300
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:19 am

Re: UAL odd choice running 777-200(non ER) SFO to NRT

Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:56 am

gon2fly wrote:
Amchi757300 wrote:
UAL appears to be running a cargo op or some other odd service using a 777-200 non-ER jet today, SFO to NRT (UAL2721). Can't imagine the rationale for this; would expect cargo ops to be limited using this bird unless fuel stops on the way back (assuming it is picking up cargo in NRT or some further on destination).

UAL has been running a lot of cargo ops with the 77W and 788, but this is the first time i'm seeing the 777-200 non-ER.

Can any of you ops folks venture a guess for this choice of plane?

https://www.flightradar24.com/UAL2721/2638b3ce


We are running cargo only flights on 777s to/from GUM, SYD, NRT, PVG, MEL, LHR, FCO, CDG, FRA, TPE, BRU, AMS.....and a few others I am probably missing. As previously mentioned, when the upstairs is empty, the range of the aircraft is higher than what you will normally see. Our 777 fleet numbers around 95, so putting them to use where and as needed.


roger that. thanks for the insight
 
gon2fly
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Re: UAL odd choice running 777-200(non ER) SFO to NRT

Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:43 am

Amchi757300 wrote:
roger that. thanks for the insight


I looked up that aircraft and routing. Looks like it has a NRT-HKG turn in its pattern in the next few days. Another non-ER is out in NRT as well on one of these and should be doing a NRT-LAX leg at some point in the trip.
 
mel
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 1999 5:13 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:14 am

Maybe it’s going to Asia for heavy maintenance?
NO URLS in signature
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:36 am

And the January 2021 schedule is indeed past the wet concrete stage.
 
AC4500
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:57 am

sldispatcher wrote:
And the January 2021 schedule is indeed past the wet concrete stage.

Yes, it looks like January 2021 is finally loaded... :roll:

It looks like SEA-LAX is gone.
Last edited by AC4500 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Next:
UA: PDX-ORD-BWI
WN: BWI-STL-PDX
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:58 am

AC4500 wrote:
sldispatcher wrote:
And the January 2021 schedule is indeed past the wet concrete stage.

Yes, it looks like January 2021 is finally loaded... :roll:

It looks like SEA-LAX is gone.


Add EWR-SEA to that.
 
AC4500
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:39 am

IAH-SMF got a major capacity upgrade at 2x daily A319s for January 2021. This route was only flying at 1x daily E175 for the summer and only recently resumed mainline flights.

This is a rather odd capacity decision given California's heavy COVID restrictions and rising case numbers.
Next:
UA: PDX-ORD-BWI
WN: BWI-STL-PDX
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:09 pm

It appears the additional mid-afternoon 4th bank at IAH continues to grow.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6380
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:12 pm

AC4500 wrote:
IAH-SMF got a major capacity upgrade at 2x daily A319s for January 2021. This route was only flying at 1x daily E175 for the summer and only recently resumed mainline flights.

This is a rather odd capacity decision given California's heavy COVID restrictions and rising case numbers.


Meanwhile, IAH-SEA was reduced to just a daily flight. ORD-SEA was too.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
xxcr
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:23 pm

VC10er wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I hope you’re all well.

I seem to have lost the plot on one topic: Polaris refurbishments. Since the pandemic struck, I am sure that I read UA stopped all refurbishments to 772’s and 789’s. However I heard that refurbishments have restarted. I’m unsure I believe that given the cost. But, on one hand many of these aircraft are sitting idle and it might be better long term to refit now versus taking aircraft out of service, and a potentially faster way to complete all the WB’s scheduled for refurbishment?

Does anyone know for sure one way or another?

Last question is: are all the 787-10’s been delivered?

Thanks,
R


I know the last international 777-200 just got refurbished.
788 refurb should be done by the end of 2021
763-unknown completion date
789-unkown completion date
764---no date, pending post covid results and travel patterns.

773 and 78J are come with polaris from the factory.
 
rjbesikof
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:27 pm

What Intl will be running in January 2021?
 
AC4500
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:23 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
IAH-SMF got a major capacity upgrade at 2x daily A319s for January 2021. This route was only flying at 1x daily E175 for the summer and only recently resumed mainline flights.

This is a rather odd capacity decision given California's heavy COVID restrictions and rising case numbers.


Meanwhile, IAH-SEA was reduced to just a daily flight. ORD-SEA was too.

On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, there is just 1 SFO-SEA flight... Ouch! (2 flights on Thu - Mon).

United must be having a lot of trouble in Seattle.

LAX-SEA GONE (previous month: 2x daily)
EWR-SEA GONE (previous month: 1x daily)
IAH-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
IAD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 1x daily - unchanged)
SFO-SEA Just 1-2x daily (previous month: 3x daily)
ORD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
DEN-SEA Just 2-3x daily (previous month: 4x daily)

I also find it interesting that PDX has more frequencies on most of these routes (exception: IAD) than SEA does.
Next:
UA: PDX-ORD-BWI
WN: BWI-STL-PDX
 
CWL757
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:16 pm

Probably a stupid question, but do we know when repaints are due to pick up again? And are any 752s going to get the new livery (other than the two her art here birds)? Obviously not a priority right now but would be good to see them start again.
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22
 
UAinAUS
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:11 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:31 pm

UAX Update:

E145XR:
N13124 (ex-AX 2003 build) entered service and flying with CommutAir

CR2:
N414ZW returned to flying with Air Wisconsin
 
dcajet
Posts: 4994
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: UAL odd choice running 777-200(non ER) SFO to NRT

Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:29 pm

Amchi757300 wrote:
UAL appears to be running a cargo op or some other odd service using a 777-200 non-ER jet today, SFO to NRT (UAL2721). Can't imagine the rationale for this; would expect cargo ops to be limited using this bird unless fuel stops on the way back (assuming it is picking up cargo in NRT or some further on destination).

UAL has been running a lot of cargo ops with the 77W and 788, but this is the first time i'm seeing the 777-200 non-ER.

Can any of you ops folks venture a guess for this choice of plane?

https://www.flightradar24.com/UAL2721/2638b3ce


It is continuing on to HKG on Sunday, after a 24 hs stop @ Narita. Considering it came straight from storage at ROW, could it be a ferry flight to HAECO HK for maintenance/mods?
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:50 am

Boy, IAH - UIO/UIO - IAH route has some interesting times. Much better than the previous schedules they have run. But also a 3 am return is brutal. UIO is far far out of town and a mad crush at times. The early afternoon dep to UIO and the mid morning return are a GREAT improvement. There is a second flight that looks more cargo related than anything. 2am arrival into UIO with a 3am departure..ouch.
 
ericm2031
Posts: 1467
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:34 am

Looks like beyond the current schedule update, UA has moved it's West Coast-ORD redeyes from the smaller stations to morning flights...probably due to gate availability in ORD no longer a problem and better yields on those flights when they do resume. FAT/GEG/PSC/RDM/SBA...PSC and SBA being new routes that never started due to COVID. Will be interesting to see when these actually do resume.
 
ScorpioMC3
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:52 am

Re: UAL odd choice running 777-200(non ER) SFO to NRT

Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:00 am

dcajet wrote:
Amchi757300 wrote:
UAL appears to be running a cargo op or some other odd service using a 777-200 non-ER jet today, SFO to NRT (UAL2721). Can't imagine the rationale for this; would expect cargo ops to be limited using this bird unless fuel stops on the way back (assuming it is picking up cargo in NRT or some further on destination).

UAL has been running a lot of cargo ops with the 77W and 788, but this is the first time i'm seeing the 777-200 non-ER.

Can any of you ops folks venture a guess for this choice of plane?

https://www.flightradar24.com/UAL2721/2638b3ce


It is continuing on to HKG on Sunday, after a 24 hs stop @ Narita. Considering it came straight from storage at ROW, could it be a ferry flight to HAECO HK for maintenance/mods?



I believe this is the case. I don't see any further routing for this tail number.
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1275
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:39 am

AC4500 wrote:
This is a rather odd capacity decision given California's heavy COVID restrictions and rising case numbers.


Not really any different than any other place in the US. Virtually every state is in a bad place. I suspect Jan will be a rough travel month. Good time for UA to minimize cash burn.
 
ordpark
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:20 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:28 am

CWL757 wrote:
Probably a stupid question, but do we know when repaints are due to pick up again? And are any 752s going to get the new livery (other than the two her art here birds)? Obviously not a priority right now but would be good to see them start again.


All painting has been suspended...trying to save money...That being said, CRJ's picked up from other operators will be repainted.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3505
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:44 pm

AC4500 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
IAH-SMF got a major capacity upgrade at 2x daily A319s for January 2021. This route was only flying at 1x daily E175 for the summer and only recently resumed mainline flights.

This is a rather odd capacity decision given California's heavy COVID restrictions and rising case numbers.


Meanwhile, IAH-SEA was reduced to just a daily flight. ORD-SEA was too.

On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, there is just 1 SFO-SEA flight... Ouch! (2 flights on Thu - Mon).

United must be having a lot of trouble in Seattle.

LAX-SEA GONE (previous month: 2x daily)
EWR-SEA GONE (previous month: 1x daily)
IAH-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
IAD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 1x daily - unchanged)
SFO-SEA Just 1-2x daily (previous month: 3x daily)
ORD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
DEN-SEA Just 2-3x daily (previous month: 4x daily)

I also find it interesting that PDX has more frequencies on most of these routes (exception: IAD) than SEA does.


United isn't having trouble in SEA.

We are still in a Pandemic and future bookings for January from what I'm hearing are some of the worst we've seen since July of this year. People are booking a lot more last minute tickets during the pandemic but outside of the Thanksgiving holiday travel season UA in October and November has been averaging between 130,000 to 160,000 daily passengers. It is my understanding there are some days in the middle of the week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) in January where United doesn't even have 75,000 passengers on the books for future travel. Contrast that number with today Sunday December 6th United has 159,242 passenger booked with us, and this coming Wednesday we have 123,071 passengers on the books. Even with more passenger buying last minute tickets when you look at future bookings for January the problem is clear, demand is lacking. Even if a new round of COVID fatigue sets in and if you couple that with Northerners catching the winter blues, you still are not going to sell enough last minute tickets to at very least get the airline north of 100,000 passengers every single day for the month of January. Faced with this reality you only have one of two options, you can bury your head in the sand and hope people start buying more tickets at the last minute, or you can face reality and simply gut the schedule.

Hopefully by spring 2021 with the arrival of multiple vaccines this industry will start to slowly turn the corner in this crisis, but until then we have a long brutal winter season ahead of us.
 
tphuang
Posts: 6439
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:12 pm

Seattle always has a lot less demand in q1 than other quarters. On top of that, as and delta probably have more capacity than deamnd justifies due to their gate battle. It would not be a surprise to me that planes are going to be very empty in January out there.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:43 pm

jayunited wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Meanwhile, IAH-SEA was reduced to just a daily flight. ORD-SEA was too.

On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, there is just 1 SFO-SEA flight... Ouch! (2 flights on Thu - Mon).

United must be having a lot of trouble in Seattle.

LAX-SEA GONE (previous month: 2x daily)
EWR-SEA GONE (previous month: 1x daily)
IAH-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
IAD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 1x daily - unchanged)
SFO-SEA Just 1-2x daily (previous month: 3x daily)
ORD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
DEN-SEA Just 2-3x daily (previous month: 4x daily)

I also find it interesting that PDX has more frequencies on most of these routes (exception: IAD) than SEA does.


United isn't having trouble in SEA.

We are still in a Pandemic and future bookings for January from what I'm hearing are some of the worst we've seen since July of this year. People are booking a lot more last minute tickets during the pandemic but outside of the Thanksgiving holiday travel season UA in October and November has been averaging between 130,000 to 160,000 daily passengers. It is my understanding there are some days in the middle of the week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) in January where United doesn't even have 75,000 passengers on the books for future travel. Contrast that number with today Sunday December 6th United has 159,242 passenger booked with us, and this coming Wednesday we have 123,071 passengers on the books. Even with more passenger buying last minute tickets when you look at future bookings for January the problem is clear, demand is lacking. Even if a new round of COVID fatigue sets in and if you couple that with Northerners catching the winter blues, you still are not going to sell enough last minute tickets to at very least get the airline north of 100,000 passengers every single day for the month of January. Faced with this reality you only have one of two options, you can bury your head in the sand and hope people start buying more tickets at the last minute, or you can face reality and simply gut the schedule.

Hopefully by spring 2021 with the arrival of multiple vaccines this industry will start to slowly turn the corner in this crisis, but until then we have a long brutal winter season ahead of us.


I think we all knew January was going to be bad but this is really bad. I’m hoping we see more demand by March (Spring Break) to start reflecting a stronger schedule.

Kinda off topic here but United’s EWR schedule is very small come January. The new terminal opens next year. Does United still intend to take gates there or will departures be consolidated into TC for the foreseeable future?
 
fun2fly
Posts: 1686
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:44 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:44 pm

VC10er wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I hope you’re all well.

I seem to have lost the plot on one topic: Polaris refurbishments. Since the pandemic struck, I am sure that I read UA stopped all refurbishments to 772’s and 789’s. However I heard that refurbishments have restarted. I’m unsure I believe that given the cost. But, on one hand many of these aircraft are sitting idle and it might be better long term to refit now versus taking aircraft out of service, and a potentially faster way to complete all the WB’s scheduled for refurbishment?

Does anyone know for sure one way or another?

Last question is: are all the 787-10’s been delivered?

Thanks,
R


While I understand UA's desire to hold off on fleet decisions and announcements until demand is finalized, in many cases UA's delay could be deteriorating demand pushing loyal customers elsewhere. For example, I'm a 1mm on UA and very loyal due to the perks. However, for 2021, I purchased one long haul flight (8hr) on AA because the offered PE vs. UA (764) and a second long haul trip to ORD to MUC on LH as they offered the PE vs. UA's 789 (non Polaris due to half the fleet being retrofitted). I realize that it's metal neutral on the LH flight, but you can see when travelers return and have pent up demand and $$ in the checkbook who want to spend an extra $300 to go in PE to Europe next summer, UA is at a disadvantage vs. AA's 788'/777's which are loaded and might leak customers. My question is, UA probably has enough Polaris A/C in the fleet + the new deliveries to cover most of the flying...why not load those and give those customers the best experience? It might take sitting some 789's and using the 77E's that are retrofitted. Even if it took an additional 5 frames to be retrofitted, it would probably be worth it or at least have one frequency on every route offer it so customers have an option.
 
codc10
Posts: 3146
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:15 pm

fun2fly wrote:
While I understand UA's desire to hold off on fleet decisions and announcements until demand is finalized, in many cases UA's delay could be deteriorating demand pushing loyal customers elsewhere. For example, I'm a 1mm on UA and very loyal due to the perks. However, for 2021, I purchased one long haul flight (8hr) on AA because the offered PE vs. UA (764) and a second long haul trip to ORD to MUC on LH as they offered the PE vs. UA's 789 (non Polaris due to half the fleet being retrofitted). I realize that it's metal neutral on the LH flight, but you can see when travelers return and have pent up demand and $$ in the checkbook who want to spend an extra $300 to go in PE to Europe next summer, UA is at a disadvantage vs. AA's 788'/777's which are loaded and might leak customers. My question is, UA probably has enough Polaris A/C in the fleet + the new deliveries to cover most of the flying...why not load those and give those customers the best experience? It might take sitting some 789's and using the 77E's that are retrofitted. Even if it took an additional 5 frames to be retrofitted, it would probably be worth it or at least have one frequency on every route offer it so customers have an option.


As of the most recent 777 schedule update, all longhaul 777 routes should be showing the Polaris seat map and selling Premium Plus. Certain ULH routes, when they resume, will also have 789s dedicated with three cabin (J/W/Y) service. But for the rest of the 788/789 routes, United has historically been conservative in displaying or selling cabin products it is unable to deliver at or nearly 100% of the time, absent IRROPS or some other unusual situation.

United would have probably been moving on to the 764 fleet by now for Polaris mods (or at least announced a schedule), had COVID not struck, so a mixed-bag longhaul fleet for the S21 season is yet another consequence of the pandemic.
 
The777Man
Posts: 6144
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 1999 4:54 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:09 pm

jayunited wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Meanwhile, IAH-SEA was reduced to just a daily flight. ORD-SEA was too.

On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, there is just 1 SFO-SEA flight... Ouch! (2 flights on Thu - Mon).

United must be having a lot of trouble in Seattle.

LAX-SEA GONE (previous month: 2x daily)
EWR-SEA GONE (previous month: 1x daily)
IAH-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
IAD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 1x daily - unchanged)
SFO-SEA Just 1-2x daily (previous month: 3x daily)
ORD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
DEN-SEA Just 2-3x daily (previous month: 4x daily)

I also find it interesting that PDX has more frequencies on most of these routes (exception: IAD) than SEA does.


United isn't having trouble in SEA.

We are still in a Pandemic and future bookings for January from what I'm hearing are some of the worst we've seen since July of this year. People are booking a lot more last minute tickets during the pandemic but outside of the Thanksgiving holiday travel season UA in October and November has been averaging between 130,000 to 160,000 daily passengers. It is my understanding there are some days in the middle of the week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) in January where United doesn't even have 75,000 passengers on the books for future travel. Contrast that number with today Sunday December 6th United has 159,242 passenger booked with us, and this coming Wednesday we have 123,071 passengers on the books. Even with more passenger buying last minute tickets when you look at future bookings for January the problem is clear, demand is lacking. Even if a new round of COVID fatigue sets in and if you couple that with Northerners catching the winter blues, you still are not going to sell enough last minute tickets to at very least get the airline north of 100,000 passengers every single day for the month of January. Faced with this reality you only have one of two options, you can bury your head in the sand and hope people start buying more tickets at the last minute, or you can face reality and simply gut the schedule.

Hopefully by spring 2021 with the arrival of multiple vaccines this industry will start to slowly turn the corner in this crisis, but until then we have a long brutal winter season ahead of us.


United has been having problems in SEA for a very long time; UA used to have the whole North Satellite and is down to 3 or 4 gates....

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4498
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:58 pm

The stored fleet post on the first page of this thread has been updated.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
andrew1996
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:19 pm

The777Man wrote:
jayunited wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, there is just 1 SFO-SEA flight... Ouch! (2 flights on Thu - Mon).

United must be having a lot of trouble in Seattle.

LAX-SEA GONE (previous month: 2x daily)
EWR-SEA GONE (previous month: 1x daily)
IAH-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
IAD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 1x daily - unchanged)
SFO-SEA Just 1-2x daily (previous month: 3x daily)
ORD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
DEN-SEA Just 2-3x daily (previous month: 4x daily)

I also find it interesting that PDX has more frequencies on most of these routes (exception: IAD) than SEA does.


United isn't having trouble in SEA.

We are still in a Pandemic and future bookings for January from what I'm hearing are some of the worst we've seen since July of this year. People are booking a lot more last minute tickets during the pandemic but outside of the Thanksgiving holiday travel season UA in October and November has been averaging between 130,000 to 160,000 daily passengers. It is my understanding there are some days in the middle of the week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) in January where United doesn't even have 75,000 passengers on the books for future travel. Contrast that number with today Sunday December 6th United has 159,242 passenger booked with us, and this coming Wednesday we have 123,071 passengers on the books. Even with more passenger buying last minute tickets when you look at future bookings for January the problem is clear, demand is lacking. Even if a new round of COVID fatigue sets in and if you couple that with Northerners catching the winter blues, you still are not going to sell enough last minute tickets to at very least get the airline north of 100,000 passengers every single day for the month of January. Faced with this reality you only have one of two options, you can bury your head in the sand and hope people start buying more tickets at the last minute, or you can face reality and simply gut the schedule.

Hopefully by spring 2021 with the arrival of multiple vaccines this industry will start to slowly turn the corner in this crisis, but until then we have a long brutal winter season ahead of us.


United has been having problems in SEA for a very long time; UA used to have the whole North Satellite and is down to 3 or 4 gates....

The777Man


I don't think SEA will ever recover to pre-COVID-19 levels, especially with Alaska and AA's tie up and DL's focus in SEA. However, one could argue AA+ DL in Seattle with what they are doing is partly driven to grow international routes out of SEA and hence launching partnerships with Alaskan or launching more domestic flights to partly help feed international flights. UA's SEA strategy doesnt seem to be international at all as they already have SFO and to a lesser extent LAX. They also have NH feeding flights to Asia under a JV to NRT and beyond (e.g., KUL, SIN, BKK).

Also, stakes are higher for SEA for DL and AA than it is for UA since UA already has a major hub in SFO while the three are roughly "tied" in LAX without a clear dominant leader out of LAX. As a result, DL/AA are likely willing to pour more resources into SEA than UA is and that will further cause UA to decrease its presence at SEA relative to DL/AA
 
jayunited
Posts: 3505
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:59 pm

The777Man wrote:

United has been having problems in SEA for a very long time; UA used to have the whole North Satellite and is down to 3 or 4 gates....

The777Man


United has held a status quo at SEA for years, serving that station from our hubs only. The suspension of EWR and LAX are temporary and will return as demand returns. The draw down in frequency that we are seeing at SEA for the month of January is directly related to COVID and the lack of demand.

SEA is nothing more than a line station for UA nothing more, United has no interest in fighting it out with DL and AS/AA for marketshare in SEA.

I think as the industry turns the corner and demand recovers in 2 or 3 years time, UA's SEA schedule will look something like this, 5x daily SFO, 2x daily LAX, 4x daily DEN, 3x daily IAH, 3x daily ORD, 2x daily EWR, and 1x daily IAD.
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5953
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:01 pm

So I went through DEN twice this past week and it seemed so many more UAX planes were painted in the new livery compared to mainline. Granted, I flew WN STL-DEN-PSP and return but we passed by B all four times and there just weren't many mainline to see. Luck of the draw?
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer Night's Dream
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:22 pm

I am astonished at the lack of bookings in January to some degree, but I suppose it is traditionally weak anyway. SEA has everything from bad press (some of it earned) to just not being high on anyone's travel list for January I'm sure.

Once the news turns as the vaccine rolls out, confidence will return and summer 2021 should be better than most around here expect. We've rolled out a new Covid infusion treatment this week named "Bam Bam" that reverses symptoms in about 6 hours. As vaccines and treatments get rolling, numbers will improve. I'm very optimistic about things and I work right in the middle of it in long term care.

Jayunited: I'm doing my part with trips in Jan, Feb, March booked. Even bringing others along on all 3 trips so it is a multiplier.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4598
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:32 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
So I went through DEN twice this past week and it seemed so many more UAX planes were painted in the new livery compared to mainline. Granted, I flew WN STL-DEN-PSP and return but we passed by B all four times and there just weren't many mainline to see. Luck of the draw?


We are running very tight, and condensed banks. There are many times throughout the day where most of UA's gates are completely empty.
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1363
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:44 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
So I went through DEN twice this past week and it seemed so many more UAX planes were painted in the new livery compared to mainline. Granted, I flew WN STL-DEN-PSP and return but we passed by B all four times and there just weren't many mainline to see. Luck of the draw?

Did a bunch come to UAX previously in another **X affiliate's livery? I.e., repainting AA Eagle or DL Connection cast-offs to UAX? That could explain it.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4598
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:49 pm

The DEN UAX operation is all OO, largely E75 and CR2 with a sprinkling of CR7. Many CR2's have come from DL, while OO is basing a lot of UA owned E75's (6xxUX) in DEN. All of the UX birds are painted.
 
7673mech
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:10 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:35 am

Forgive me for asking - this thread is 90 pages deep and the search I did is more confusing.

The 767’s with 5 across Polaris cabin, is that the new or old standard?

Thanks in advance.
 
Pinto
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:35 am

7673mech wrote:
Forgive me for asking - this thread is 90 pages deep and the search I did is more confusing.

The 767’s with 5 across Polaris cabin, is that the new or old standard?

Thanks in advance.


Old, new Polaris on any aircraft has direct aisle access. 767 is 1-1-1, 777 and 787 is 1-2-1 in the new Polaris
 
jayunited
Posts: 3505
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:11 am

sldispatcher wrote:
I am astonished at the lack of bookings in January to some degree, but I suppose it is traditionally weak anyway. SEA has everything from bad press (some of it earned) to just not being high on anyone's travel list for January I'm sure.

Once the news turns as the vaccine rolls out, confidence will return and summer 2021 should be better than most around here expect. We've rolled out a new Covid infusion treatment this week named "Bam Bam" that reverses symptoms in about 6 hours. As vaccines and treatments get rolling, numbers will improve. I'm very optimistic about things and I work right in the middle of it in long term care.

Jayunited: I'm doing my part with trips in Jan, Feb, March booked. Even bringing others along on all 3 trips so it is a multiplier.


Once we get past February and if the vaccines have been approved and if the pharmaceutical companies have the ability to scale up production of these vaccines on a massive scale then I think it will be safe to say we see the light at the end of the tunnel. But right now we are still in the tunnel with quite a few hair pin turns between our present location and the exit. Make no mistake January and February 2021 are going to be extremely difficult for the airline industry. If airlines want to preserve cash and keep their daily burn rate heading in the right direction they are going to have to make some drastic cuts to their schedules during those 2 months United is no exception.
 
AC4500
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:16 am

jayunited wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Meanwhile, IAH-SEA was reduced to just a daily flight. ORD-SEA was too.

On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, there is just 1 SFO-SEA flight... Ouch! (2 flights on Thu - Mon).

United must be having a lot of trouble in Seattle.

LAX-SEA GONE (previous month: 2x daily)
EWR-SEA GONE (previous month: 1x daily)
IAH-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
IAD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 1x daily - unchanged)
SFO-SEA Just 1-2x daily (previous month: 3x daily)
ORD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
DEN-SEA Just 2-3x daily (previous month: 4x daily)

I also find it interesting that PDX has more frequencies on most of these routes (exception: IAD) than SEA does.


United isn't having trouble in SEA.

Hopefully by spring 2021 with the arrival of multiple vaccines this industry will start to slowly turn the corner in this crisis, but until then we have a long brutal winter season ahead of us.

My initial post in analyzing UA's SEA schedule for January was meant to compare it to west coast markets of similar/smaller size (such as PDX, SAN, SMF). I found it interesting that UA currently has more scheduled flights on DEN-PDX and SFO-PDX than they do to SEA, but that may be the result of the extreme competitive environment between AS/DL in Seattle, whereas Portland is not nearly as competitive with just AS. I think UA is scheduled to have less capacity on SFO-SEA in January than they had when travel demand was at it's lowest (Mar, Apr, May). I could be wrong though. Just 2x daily flights on a route as competitive as SFO-SEA is pretty troubling considering that both AS and DL are flying 2 to 3 times the amount of flights that UA is scheduled for on that route.

andrew1996 wrote:
I don't think SEA will ever recover to pre-COVID-19 levels, especially with Alaska and AA's tie up and DL's focus in SEA.

It's pretty naive to say that SEA will never recover. Every airport is going to recover eventually. Some airports may take a year to recover, while other airports may take 10+ years to recover.

jayunited wrote:
I think as the industry turns the corner and demand recovers in 2 or 3 years time, UA's SEA schedule will look something like this, 5x daily SFO, 2x daily LAX, 4x daily DEN, 3x daily IAH, 3x daily ORD, 2x daily EWR, and 1x daily IAD.

The future frequency schedule that you have listed is pretty much what UA operated pre-COVID. I believe IAD was at 2 or 3 daily flights and IAH/ORD may have had one more daily flight, but I think that's about it.
Next:
UA: PDX-ORD-BWI
WN: BWI-STL-PDX
 
andrew1996
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:43 am

AC4500 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, there is just 1 SFO-SEA flight... Ouch! (2 flights on Thu - Mon).

United must be having a lot of trouble in Seattle.

LAX-SEA GONE (previous month: 2x daily)
EWR-SEA GONE (previous month: 1x daily)
IAH-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
IAD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 1x daily - unchanged)
SFO-SEA Just 1-2x daily (previous month: 3x daily)
ORD-SEA Just 1x daily (previous month: 2x daily)
DEN-SEA Just 2-3x daily (previous month: 4x daily)

I also find it interesting that PDX has more frequencies on most of these routes (exception: IAD) than SEA does.


United isn't having trouble in SEA.

Hopefully by spring 2021 with the arrival of multiple vaccines this industry will start to slowly turn the corner in this crisis, but until then we have a long brutal winter season ahead of us.

My initial post in analyzing UA's SEA schedule for January was meant to compare it to west coast markets of similar/smaller size (such as PDX, SAN, SMF). I found it interesting that UA currently has more scheduled flights on DEN-PDX and SFO-PDX than they do to SEA, but that may be the result of the extreme competitive environment between AS/DL in Seattle, whereas Portland is not nearly as competitive with just AS. I think UA is scheduled to have less capacity on SFO-SEA in January than they had when travel demand was at it's lowest (Mar, Apr, May). I could be wrong though. Just 2x daily flights on a route as competitive as SFO-SEA is pretty troubling considering that both AS and DL are flying 2 to 3 times the amount of flights that UA is scheduled for on that route.

andrew1996 wrote:
I don't think SEA will ever recover to pre-COVID-19 levels, especially with Alaska and AA's tie up and DL's focus in SEA.

It's pretty naive to say that SEA will never recover. Every airport is going to recover eventually. Some airports may take a year to recover, while other airports may take 10+ years to recover.

jayunited wrote:
I think as the industry turns the corner and demand recovers in 2 or 3 years time, UA's SEA schedule will look something like this, 5x daily SFO, 2x daily LAX, 4x daily DEN, 3x daily IAH, 3x daily ORD, 2x daily EWR, and 1x daily IAD.

The future frequency schedule that you have listed is pretty much what UA operated pre-COVID. I believe IAD was at 2 or 3 daily flights and IAH/ORD may have had one more daily flight, but I think that's about it.



What I meant SEA will never recover is for UA in that we will see a material shift in UA's operation in SEA where it will not attain its relevative position against AA/DL after the pandemic and when air travel resumes. It has nothing to do with if SEA will ever recover as an airport/city. Furthermore, even if we are to see growth for UA out of SEA, I am predicting they are still going to be lower than their pre-covid-19 relative position against AA/DL for reasons I stated earlier.
 
The777Man
Posts: 6144
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 1999 4:54 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:37 am

jayunited wrote:
The777Man wrote:

United has been having problems in SEA for a very long time; UA used to have the whole North Satellite and is down to 3 or 4 gates....

The777Man


United has held a status quo at SEA for years, serving that station from our hubs only. The suspension of EWR and LAX are temporary and will return as demand returns. The draw down in frequency that we are seeing at SEA for the month of January is directly related to COVID and the lack of demand.

SEA is nothing more than a line station for UA nothing more, United has no interest in fighting it out with DL and AS/AA for marketshare in SEA.

I think as the industry turns the corner and demand recovers in 2 or 3 years time, UA's SEA schedule will look something like this, 5x daily SFO, 2x daily LAX, 4x daily DEN, 3x daily IAH, 3x daily ORD, 2x daily EWR, and 1x daily IAD.


I was just comparing SEA today to 20 years ago or so....big difference but I agree that being the dominant carrier at SFO is way more important. Still sad to see so few flights of UA in SEA, being at year ago or this coming January..

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777
 
jayunited
Posts: 3505
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:35 pm

AC4500 wrote:

My initial post in analyzing UA's SEA schedule for January was meant to compare it to west coast markets of similar/smaller size (such as PDX, SAN, SMF). I found it interesting that UA currently has more scheduled flights on DEN-PDX and SFO-PDX than they do to SEA, but that may be the result of the extreme competitive environment between AS/DL in Seattle, whereas Portland is not nearly as competitive with just AS. I think UA is scheduled to have less capacity on SFO-SEA in January than they had when travel demand was at it's lowest (Mar, Apr, May). I could be wrong though. Just 2x daily flights on a route as competitive as SFO-SEA is pretty troubling considering that both AS and DL are flying 2 to 3 times the amount of flights that UA is scheduled for on that route.


You might want to check the last 2 or 3 most recent OAG threads Delta has made some serious but TEMPORARY (have to make sure I say temporary don't want to upset people) cuts at SEA for the month of January as well.

As far as being competitive United's January schedule SFO-SEA-SFO is just as competitive as Delta both airlines have scheduled 2x daily flights in January after the New Years holiday is behind us.

I don't know if AS has released an updated schedule for January but if we are to be honest the demand isn't there for 7-8x daily nonstop flights on the SFO-SEA-SFO route. Judging from the their ticket prices $59 dollars for coach and $129 for first class either AS is interested in burning cash or at some point they will reduce the schedule either in advance or they will just cancel and consolidate flights 24 hours before departure.

SFO-SEA-SFO is a competitive route but once again we are in a pandemic. The demand isn't there, and throughout this entire pandemic coastal hubs with the exception of CLT, ATL, MIA have all struggled with lagging demand when compared to mid-continent hubs, for United SFO is no different. Take for example the Thanksgiving holiday (I'm talking abut United Airlines only) United flew more passengers out of LAX (on less flights) than we did out of SFO. SFO was second from the bottom in term of total passengers, the only hub that saw less passengers pass through during the entire Thanksgiving travel period was IAD. I don't even know the last time United Airlines flew more passengers out of LAX than SFO.

This isn't about needing to be competitive this is about matching capacity to demand, I can't speak about SEA, UA doesn't have a hub at SEA but right now out of SFO, demand is lacking.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:08 pm

jayunited wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

My initial post in analyzing UA's SEA schedule for January was meant to compare it to west coast markets of similar/smaller size (such as PDX, SAN, SMF). I found it interesting that UA currently has more scheduled flights on DEN-PDX and SFO-PDX than they do to SEA, but that may be the result of the extreme competitive environment between AS/DL in Seattle, whereas Portland is not nearly as competitive with just AS. I think UA is scheduled to have less capacity on SFO-SEA in January than they had when travel demand was at it's lowest (Mar, Apr, May). I could be wrong though. Just 2x daily flights on a route as competitive as SFO-SEA is pretty troubling considering that both AS and DL are flying 2 to 3 times the amount of flights that UA is scheduled for on that route.


You might want to check the last 2 or 3 most recent OAG threads Delta has made some serious but TEMPORARY (have to make sure I say temporary don't want to upset people) cuts at SEA for the month of January as well.

As far as being competitive United's January schedule SFO-SEA-SFO is just as competitive as Delta both airlines have scheduled 2x daily flights in January after the New Years holiday is behind us.

I don't know if AS has released an updated schedule for January but if we are to be honest the demand isn't there for 7-8x daily nonstop flights on the SFO-SEA-SFO route. Judging from the their ticket prices $59 dollars for coach and $129 for first class either AS is interested in burning cash or at some point they will reduce the schedule either in advance or they will just cancel and consolidate flights 24 hours before departure.

SFO-SEA-SFO is a competitive route but once again we are in a pandemic. The demand isn't there, and throughout this entire pandemic coastal hubs with the exception of CLT, ATL, MIA have all struggled with lagging demand when compared to mid-continent hubs, for United SFO is no different. Take for example the Thanksgiving holiday (I'm talking abut United Airlines only) United flew more passengers out of LAX (on less flights) than we did out of SFO. SFO was second from the bottom in term of total passengers, the only hub that saw less passengers pass through during the entire Thanksgiving travel period was IAD. I don't even know the last time United Airlines flew more passengers out of LAX than SFO.

This isn't about needing to be competitive this is about matching capacity to demand, I can't speak about SEA, UA doesn't have a hub at SEA but right now out of SFO, demand is lacking.


Do you have the total order for hubs with the most pax for thanksgiving? I would assume it’s DEN, ORD, IAH, EWR, LAX, SFO, IAD?
 
ordbosewr
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:08 pm

jayunited wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

My initial post in analyzing UA's SEA schedule for January was meant to compare it to west coast markets of similar/smaller size (such as PDX, SAN, SMF). I found it interesting that UA currently has more scheduled flights on DEN-PDX and SFO-PDX than they do to SEA, but that may be the result of the extreme competitive environment between AS/DL in Seattle, whereas Portland is not nearly as competitive with just AS. I think UA is scheduled to have less capacity on SFO-SEA in January than they had when travel demand was at it's lowest (Mar, Apr, May). I could be wrong though. Just 2x daily flights on a route as competitive as SFO-SEA is pretty troubling considering that both AS and DL are flying 2 to 3 times the amount of flights that UA is scheduled for on that route.


You might want to check the last 2 or 3 most recent OAG threads Delta has made some serious but TEMPORARY (have to make sure I say temporary don't want to upset people) cuts at SEA for the month of January as well.

As far as being competitive United's January schedule SFO-SEA-SFO is just as competitive as Delta both airlines have scheduled 2x daily flights in January after the New Years holiday is behind us.

I don't know if AS has released an updated schedule for January but if we are to be honest the demand isn't there for 7-8x daily nonstop flights on the SFO-SEA-SFO route. Judging from the their ticket prices $59 dollars for coach and $129 for first class either AS is interested in burning cash or at some point they will reduce the schedule either in advance or they will just cancel and consolidate flights 24 hours before departure.

SFO-SEA-SFO is a competitive route but once again we are in a pandemic. The demand isn't there, and throughout this entire pandemic coastal hubs with the exception of CLT, ATL, MIA have all struggled with lagging demand when compared to mid-continent hubs, for United SFO is no different. Take for example the Thanksgiving holiday (I'm talking abut United Airlines only) United flew more passengers out of LAX (on less flights) than we did out of SFO. SFO was second from the bottom in term of total passengers, the only hub that saw less passengers pass through during the entire Thanksgiving travel period was IAD. I don't even know the last time United Airlines flew more passengers out of LAX than SFO.

This isn't about needing to be competitive this is about matching capacity to demand, I can't speak about SEA, UA doesn't have a hub at SEA but right now out of SFO, demand is lacking.


One has to believe that with all of the San Fran area stay-at-home orders those will/are hurting demand. That will continue as long as those are in-place.
Demand will ebb and flow based on those types of actions. We saw the same challenges when NY/NJ were under stay-at-home orders in March/April/May. Good luck to all
 
jayunited
Posts: 3505
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:38 pm

United has put out the January Schedule and has updated some of the international routes.

ORD - TLV (Tel Aviv) Suspending our three-times weekly service effective Jan. 2, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in summer 2021.
ORD - BRU (Brussels) Effective Dec. 24, 2020. We anticipate resuming service in summer 2021.
DEN - LIH Effective Dec. 6, 2020. We anticipate resuming service in spring 2021.
IAH - OAX (Oaxaca, Mexico) Effective Jan. 3, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in spring 2021.
IAH/ORD – AUA (Aruba) Effective Jan. 2, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in spring 2021.
EWR – HNL Effective Jan. 4, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in spring 2021.
SFO – LHR (London Heathrow) Effective Jan. 4, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in spring 2021.
IAD – LHR Effective Jan. 4, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in summer 2021. (I think this may be a typo I can't see UA not resuming IAD-LHR until summer 2021)
IAD – ZRH Effective Jan. 4, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in summer 2021.
GUM- ROR (Palau)/YAP (Yap) Effective Dec. 27, 2020. We will continue working with local officials to determine a time frame for resuming service.

Domestic suspension below for now these are only for the month of January most suspensions will being on January 5th some with being on January 11th

ORD: ABE, ECP, ELP, FCA*, GSO, HSV, PNS, PWM, RAP, VPS
DEN: GSP, LIH, MRY
EWR: HNL,(resumes spring 2021) PDX, SEA
SFO: BOS, BUR
IAD: PDX, SMF
LAX: SEA
BOS: TPA
LGA: TPA, PBI, RSW
 
splitterz
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:40 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:50 pm

jayunited wrote:
United has put out the January Schedule and has updated some of the international routes.

ORD - TLV (Tel Aviv) Suspending our three-times weekly service effective Jan. 2, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in summer 2021.
ORD - BRU (Brussels) Effective Dec. 24, 2020. We anticipate resuming service in summer 2021.
DEN - LIH Effective Dec. 6, 2020. We anticipate resuming service in spring 2021.
IAH - OAX (Oaxaca, Mexico) Effective Jan. 3, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in spring 2021.
IAH/ORD – AUA (Aruba) Effective Jan. 2, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in spring 2021.
EWR – HNL Effective Jan. 4, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in spring 2021.
SFO – LHR (London Heathrow) Effective Jan. 4, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in spring 2021.
IAD – LHR Effective Jan. 4, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in summer 2021. (I think this may be a typo I can't see UA not resuming IAD-LHR until summer 2021)
IAD – ZRH Effective Jan. 4, 2021. We anticipate resuming service in summer 2021.
GUM- ROR (Palau)/YAP (Yap) Effective Dec. 27, 2020. We will continue working with local officials to determine a time frame for resuming service.

Domestic suspension below for now these are only for the month of January most suspensions will being on January 5th some with being on January 11th

ORD: ABE, ECP, ELP, FCA*, GSO, HSV, PNS, PWM, RAP, VPS
DEN: GSP, LIH, MRY
EWR: HNL,(resumes spring 2021) PDX, SEA
SFO: BOS, BUR
IAD: PDX, SMF
LAX: SEA
BOS: TPA
LGA: TPA, PBI, RSW


Rough cuts to ORD

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos