Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

enilria

Re: United Announces LAX-SJO/LIR/SAP, SFO-LIR, IAD-SDQ, DEN-BZE/SJO, CLE-CUN

Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:56 pm

Ishrion wrote:
United has announced several new routes and increased flights to 19 destinations:

New routes:
- Saturday-only from Los Angeles and San Jose, Costa Rica starting December 19, then increase to daily on January 5, 2021.
- 3x weekly from Los Angeles to San Pedro Sula, Honduras starting December 17, 2020.
- Saturday-only from San Francisco to Liberia, Costa Rica starting January 9, 2021.
- 3x weekly from Los Angeles to Liberia starting January 8, 2021.
- Launching Denver to San Jose, Costa Rica and Belize City
- Launching Washington-Dulles to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Cleveland to Cancun and Houston to Mazaltan will restart on December 19.

Increased routes:

Increasing service between Chicago and Cozumel, San Jose del Cabo and Puerto Vallarta.
Increasing service between Denver and Cancun, Cozumel, San Jose del Cabo and Puerto Vallarta.
Increasing service between Houston and Acapulco, Cancun, Cozumel, San Jose del Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Zihuatanejo
Increasing service between Los Angeles and Cancun, San Jose del Cabo and Puerto Vallarta.
Increasing service between New York/Newark and Cancun, San Jose del Cabo and Puerto Vallarta.
Increasing service between San Francisco and Cancun.
Increasing service between Washington Dulles and Cancun.
Increasing to ten-times weekly service between Los Angeles and Guatemala City, Guatemala.
Increasing to eleven-times weekly service between Los Angeles and San Salvador, El Salvador.
Increasing to twice daily service between Washington and San Salvador.

https://hub.united.com/2020-10-16-unite ... 28755.html

Weren’t most of these loaded for sale a couple of weeks ago?

LAXintl

Re: United Fleet, Network, & Livery Thread - 2020

Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:46 pm

There was some talk a bit back about testing for crew members on the resumed SFO-PVG flight.

Well it seems both ALPA and AFA backed of their refusal to test upon arrival in China.
Per note, crew members will be tested both in SFO before departure as a pro-active step to mitigate the chances of a positive result when tested on arrival in PVG to complying with Chinese requirement.
Also crews will no longer stay at their regular city layover hotel, but be self-quarantine in their hotel rooms at a PVG airport hotel instead.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jayunited

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:28 am

LAXintl wrote:
There was some talk a bit back about testing for crew members on the resumed SFO-PVG flight.

Well it seems both ALPA and AFA backed of their refusal to test upon arrival in China.
Per note, crew members will be tested both in SFO before departure as a pro-active step to mitigate the chances of a positive result when tested on arrival in PVG to complying with Chinese requirement.
Also crews will no longer stay at their regular city layover hotel, but be self-quarantine in their hotel rooms at a PVG airport hotel instead.

The change in layover hotel was expected because even with a negative COVID test, crews will still not be allowed to leave their hotel rooms. With those restrictions still in place there is no reason to send them into the city.

I think it is the best plan to test before they depart SFO this way there is a high probability that the same test results will show up when you're tested again on arrival in PVG. PVG's COVID test is not the invasive test being performed in HKG, so I'm glad ALPA and AFA back off their refusal, thus allowing UA to resume nonstop service.

UAinAUS

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:31 am

UAX Update:

E145:
N13992 exited fleet, stored IGM

E145XR:
N25134 exited fleet, stored IGM
N11184 ferried MCN
N11189 ferried MCN
N11192 ferried MCN

CR2:
N913EV (ex-DL 2002 build) entered UAX service with Skywest (EvoBlu livery)
N920EV (ex-DL 2003 build) entered UAX service with Skywest (EvoBlu livery)
N953SW is in EvoBlu livery
N494CA (floater) ferried ROW for EvoBlu paint for transfer to UAX fleet
N442AW returned to flying with Air Wisconsin
N448AW returned to flying with Air Wisconsin

Ishrion

Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:22 am

enilria wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
United has announced several new routes and increased flights to 19 destinations:

New routes:
- Saturday-only from Los Angeles and San Jose, Costa Rica starting December 19, then increase to daily on January 5, 2021.
- 3x weekly from Los Angeles to San Pedro Sula, Honduras starting December 17, 2020.
- Saturday-only from San Francisco to Liberia, Costa Rica starting January 9, 2021.
- 3x weekly from Los Angeles to Liberia starting January 8, 2021.
- Launching Denver to San Jose, Costa Rica and Belize City
- Launching Washington-Dulles to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Cleveland to Cancun and Houston to Mazaltan will restart on December 19.

Increased routes:

Increasing service between Chicago and Cozumel, San Jose del Cabo and Puerto Vallarta.
Increasing service between Denver and Cancun, Cozumel, San Jose del Cabo and Puerto Vallarta.
Increasing service between Houston and Acapulco, Cancun, Cozumel, San Jose del Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Zihuatanejo
Increasing service between Los Angeles and Cancun, San Jose del Cabo and Puerto Vallarta.
Increasing service between New York/Newark and Cancun, San Jose del Cabo and Puerto Vallarta.
Increasing service between San Francisco and Cancun.
Increasing service between Washington Dulles and Cancun.
Increasing to ten-times weekly service between Los Angeles and Guatemala City, Guatemala.
Increasing to eleven-times weekly service between Los Angeles and San Salvador, El Salvador.
Increasing to twice daily service between Washington and San Salvador.

https://hub.united.com/2020-10-16-unite ... 28755.html

Weren’t most of these loaded for sale a couple of weeks ago?

I think the increases are available but United says the new routes will be available for booking from October 17/21.

Ishrion

Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:36 am

United adds 2x daily IAD to Erie from December 17

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/42777 ... les-dec-17

AASAP777

Re: United Announces LAX-SJO/LIR/SAP, SFO-LIR, IAD-SDQ, DEN-BZE/LIR, CLE-CUN

Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:10 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
AASAP777 wrote:
Wow, didn't see this one coming. LAX-SAP nonstop has never been tried before, but I'm pretty sure this will work perfectly as many Hondurans live in the Western U.S. Last time SAP was linked directly with LAX was with a two-stop in the late 80s with LACSA routing SJO-SAP-GUA-MEX-LAX on 72S first (I flew on the way back in 88) and A320s.

Great news! I hope they work this as a red-eye from LAX.

While I agree that a 3x weekly flight to LAX from SAP seems like a good add, the statement that lots of Hondurans live in the Western US I dont really agree with. LA is the only place in the Western US with any size of a Honduran community and I would agree with the statement "a lot of Hondurans live in LA", but Hondurans overwhelmingly prefer Texas and the East Coast:

Largest Honduran populations as of 2019 by metro area. All over 10,000 listed.
Houston: 122,620
New York City: 121,235
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 105,539
Los Angeles: 67,694
Washington DC: 58,733
Dallas/Fort Worth: 34,352
Charlotte: 28,773
New Orleans: 28,459
Atlanta: 26,523
Austin: 22,231
Boston: 17,560
Chicago: 14,255
Tampa: 14,222
San Francisco: 13,470
Baltimore: 13,300
Philadelphia: 12,796
Orlando: 12,471
Kansas City: 12,062

The West Coast can have a number of catrachos on many other places served or closed to destinations served by UA from LAX. Even places as YVR can be reached now easily through LAX. The math will work perfectly for UA.
Bendiga Dios la pródiga tierra en que nací....God bless the prodigal land where I was born.
H O N D U R A S! Five star country...Un país de cinco estrellas.

Cointrin330

Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:57 am

As the entire industry spitballs in efforts to stimulate demand or capture some traffic flows, these routes make some sense, as these are among the few international destinations that Americans can travel to, and as others have pointed out, quite a number of US citizens own homes in Central America. The reality though is that travel will remain soft until there is a vaccine.

avi8

Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:24 pm

I've heard UA's Central American flights are performing much better than expected. Can anyone confirm this?
avi8

adamblang

Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:28 pm

avi8 wrote:
I've heard UA's Central American flights are performing much better than expected. Can anyone confirm this?

The fact that a bunch of new Central American flights were just announced is confirmation of this.

fun2fly

Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:32 pm

jayunited wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

The change in layover hotel was expected because even with a negative COVID test, crews will still not be allowed to leave their hotel rooms. With those restrictions still in place there is no reason to send them into the city.

I think it is the best plan to test before they depart SFO this way there is a high probability that the same test results will show up when you're tested again on arrival in PVG. PVG's COVID test is not the invasive test being performed in HKG, so I'm glad ALPA and AFA back off their refusal, thus allowing UA to resume nonstop service.

The PVG hotel was in the city center, stayed there many times and saw the crews checking in. Used to play the "who can get there first game." At PVG, there are a few options, but I doubt they rival the downtown location. With the virus around, if I were a crew member, I would prefer to stay at the airport anyhow. It's a sacrifice for sure and thanks to the crew for doing this.

Anyone know how the PVG demand has been? I know there's a lot of US companies with all the manufacturing in China that have to be getting antsy after 6 months of not seeing the operations.

LAXdude1023

Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 pm

AASAP777 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
AASAP777 wrote:
Wow, didn't see this one coming. LAX-SAP nonstop has never been tried before, but I'm pretty sure this will work perfectly as many Hondurans live in the Western U.S. Last time SAP was linked directly with LAX was with a two-stop in the late 80s with LACSA routing SJO-SAP-GUA-MEX-LAX on 72S first (I flew on the way back in 88) and A320s.

Great news! I hope they work this as a red-eye from LAX.

While I agree that a 3x weekly flight to LAX from SAP seems like a good add, the statement that lots of Hondurans live in the Western US I dont really agree with. LA is the only place in the Western US with any size of a Honduran community and I would agree with the statement "a lot of Hondurans live in LA", but Hondurans overwhelmingly prefer Texas and the East Coast:

Largest Honduran populations as of 2019 by metro area. All over 10,000 listed.
Houston: 122,620
New York City: 121,235
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 105,539
Los Angeles: 67,694
Washington DC: 58,733
Dallas/Fort Worth: 34,352
Charlotte: 28,773
New Orleans: 28,459
Atlanta: 26,523
Austin: 22,231
Boston: 17,560
Chicago: 14,255
Tampa: 14,222
San Francisco: 13,470
Baltimore: 13,300
Philadelphia: 12,796
Orlando: 12,471
Kansas City: 12,062

The West Coast can have a number of catrachos on many other places served or closed to destinations served by UA from LAX. Even places as YVR can be reached now easily through LAX. The math will work perfectly for UA.

But they don’t. LA is the only place in the western half of North America with a sizable Honduran community. This route will be fine I think but it will be about O&D not connections.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Judge1310

Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:52 pm

fun2fly wrote:
jayunited wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

The PVG hotel was in the city center, stayed there many times and saw the crews checking in. Used to play the "who can get there first game." At PVG, there are a few options, but I doubt they rival the downtown location. With the virus around, if I were a crew member, I would prefer to stay at the airport anyhow. It's a sacrifice for sure and thanks to the crew for doing this.

Anyone know how the PVG demand has been? I know there's a lot of US companies with all the manufacturing in China that have to be getting antsy after 6 months of not seeing the operations.

Flights to PVG (via ICN) have been "full" as of late. I use quotation marks with 'full' because there is a China-imposed pax load restriction of 75% for inbound flights.

UAinAUS

Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:28 am

UAX Update:

E145:
N29906 exited fleet, stored IGM

E145XR:
N12136 (ex-UAX TransStates) ferried ALB for transfer to CommutAir, 2003 build
N14153 (ex-UAX TransStates) ferried ALB for transfer to CommutAir, 2003 build

E175SC:
N82366 delivered to Mesa
N87367 delivered to Mesa
N87368 delivered to Mesa
N85369 delivered to Mesa
N85370 delivered to Mesa

avi8

Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:25 pm

adamblang wrote:
avi8 wrote:

The fact that a bunch of new Central American flights were just announced is confirmation of this.

I was hoping someone had some inside information. No need to be sarcastic about it.

We’re all wishing traffic picks up ASAP.
avi8

SJOtoLIR

Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:23 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
I wish UA would launch IAH-FRS. That would be a great route for a leisure market.

The former Continental Airlines flew CO IAH-FRS 2x weekly with the 50-seater Embraer 145.
The last flight was in 2006, if I recall correctly.

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

SJOtoLIR

Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:39 pm

x1234 wrote:
Smart for UA to fill those Central America gaps from LAX after DL pulled out. SJO and PTY are the highest yielding Central America destinations from the US.

DL LAX-SJO 7x weekly with 752 and AS LAX-SJO 4x weekly with 738 were operating prior to the Covid-19 crisis.
However, I ignore their resumptions plans, in such route.
The southbound sector on DL LAX-SJO was working as red-eyes. Same on DL LAX-GUA.
On the other hand, AV SJO-GUA-LAX 7x weekly also wasn't in service, since many months ago.
Their competitors are taking advantage in that regard. B6 LAX-SJO 7x weekly with 320 was already announced by December 18th.

Regards.

SJOtoLIR

Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
Very interesting developments. I believe both LAX-GUA and LAX-SAL were recent service resumptions, and are already being increased! LAX-SJO operated previously via GUA; this may be the first time UA operates this route nonstop. These LAX-Central America routes seem to have attracted the interest of several U.S. carriers lately - B6 and DL spring to mind as well as UA. I believe AA and NK have flown the routes in recent years too. DEN-BZE was operated by WN while F9 flew DEN-SJO.. these might be firsts for UA though? All in all, nice to see UA leveraging its hub structure to take advantage of as much Latin America VFR and leisure traffic as possible.

UA LAX-GUA-SJO was indeed in service from the 90s. I remember CO LAX-SAL as seasonal flights during the US summer break.
NK LAX-GUA was briefly operated when Spirit entered in Central America, back in 2007. That service was axed on favour of NK FLL-GUA.
The largest Central American markets from Los Angeles in terms of the VFR market are rather focused in El Salvador and Guatemala.
Historically, the largest amount of regional non-stop flights to California were departing from these places.

Regards.

klwright69

Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:07 pm

I have flown CUN-CLE before nonstop on UA in 2015. I never knew they stopped it.

SJOtoLIR

Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:09 pm

AASAP777 wrote:
Last time SAP was linked directly with LAX was with a two-stop in the late 80s with LACSA routing SJO-SAP-GUA-MEX-LAX on 72S.

Yes, indeed. I can almost remember this route stopping in San Pedro Sula.
LACSA since 1980 was also flying LR SJO-SAL-MEX-LAX with 72S. Sometimes LR SJO-GUA-MEX-LAX.
Pan Am briefly flew PA LAX-GUA-SJO with 747, in the late 70s. AA LAX-SAL-GUA with 752 as well, in the 90s.
The regular non-stops services linking Los Angeles and Costa Rica just began in 2014: DL LAX-SJO with 752.

Regards.

jayunited

Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:04 pm

United is now operating nonstop cargo only flights between the U.S. and PVG. Today UA2808-18 ORD-PVG and UA2815-18 LAX-PVG resumed nonstop service eliminating the need for a tech stop for crew change in NRT (for the ORD flight) and GUM (for the LAX flight). It was already announced passenger service nonstop flights between SFO-PVG would resume on October 21st.

However all of our PEK and CTU cargo only flights are still doing a tech stop for crew change. Right now UA crew members are not allowed to layover at either of those locations.

Quick fleet update
77E: N792UA is schedule to be pulled out of storage at ROW and flown to HKG via SFO/NRT for heavy maintenance.
73G: N15710 is being pulled out of ROW and flown to MCO for maintenance
37K: N68805 is being pulled out of ROW and flown to MCO for maintenance.

It looks like the plan is to return the 737 and the 739 to passenger service after they leave MCO, I'm not sure what the plans are the 77E once it leaves HKG.

sldispatcher

Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:12 am

Thanks to jayunited and others for the balanced info and insight.

The airline certainly feels like it is gaining some momentum with loads, upgrade lists, airport foot traffic on flights over the last two weeks.

Brighter days are ahead.

drdisque

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:38 am

klwright69 wrote:
I have flown CUN-CLE before nonstop on UA in 2015. I never knew they stopped it.

It has been seasonal and usually less than daily ever since the pulldown of the CLE hub

It hadn't been loaded yet for this winter so it wasn't clear if they planned on operating it this year.

AASAP777

Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:08 pm

I've checked on the schedules. It will be a red-eye from LAX to SAP and an early morning departure from SAP. Great schedule! Leaving LAX at 10:45pm Thursday, Saturday an Sundays, arriving into SAP at 5:47am+1. Return at 7:00 am with arrival in LAX at 10:40am on Monday, Friday and Sunday..
Bendiga Dios la pródiga tierra en que nací....God bless the prodigal land where I was born.

Ishrion

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:35 pm

Some new domestic United routes:

- IAD to Allentown, Erie, and Pensacola
- ORD to Fort Walton Beach (VPS) and Panama City, FL (ECP). I think these two are returning seasonals?
- IAH to Key West

https://crankyflier.com/2020/10/19/jetb ... est-grows/

SJOtoLIR

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:36 pm

SJOtoLIR wrote:
The regular non-stops services linking Los Angeles and Costa Rica just began in 2014: DL LAX-SJO with 752.

Disclaimer: The former GRUPO TACA flew TA SJO-LAX 3x weekly, on behalf of LACSA with the 320-family.
It happened in 2000 - 2010 and prior to the merger with Avianca Colombia.

SJOtoLIR

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:38 pm

SJOtoLIR wrote:
AA LAX-SAL-GUA with 752

I meant AA LAX-SAL-SJO.

AASAP777

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:55 pm

SJOtoLIR wrote:
SJOtoLIR wrote:
AA LAX-SAL-GUA with 752

I meant AA LAX-SAL-SJO.

On the near past, 2000s and 2010s, AA had service from both SAL and SJO to LAX, but with separate flights. AA798 was SAL-LAX and AA928 SJO-LAX. And even on the 90s, but for a brief period, AA tried LAX-GUA/SAL/SJO. I think AA kept until recently the BZE-LAX service too.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:58 am

Ishrion wrote:

- ORD to Fort Walton Beach (VPS) and Panama City, FL (ECP). I think these two are returning seasonals?
- IAH to Key West

I don't recall UA ever serving ORD-VPS, and if they did it hasn't been around long. I'm not sure about ECP, but I believe that's new as well. For years, UA only served IAH from VPS on a once or twice daily 145 as a legacy CO route (no prior UA service at all; they were only in PNS), and up until they added Denver recently, that was all there was. They were pretty nonexistent in the market for a long time.

It's good to see UA add some outreach to smaller areas of Florida, which has traditionally been a weak point for them, but with everybody focusing on sunny markets to survive this winter, they're clearly just jumping on the bandwagon. I'm glad to see IAD-PNS return though.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:22 am

I know this has been discussed very broadly but does anyone have any numbers on how the UA hubs are performing? For example, Loads factors and numbers of flights vs YOY. I’m assuming DEN/IAH are carry the recovery. ORD/IAD are doing okay. SFO and EWR seem a little slow. EWR definitely seems to be picking up more traction compared to JFK. As for LAX, UA seems to be becoming a bit more aggressive here.

FSDan

Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:00 am

atcsundevil wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

- IAH to Key West

I don't recall UA ever serving ORD-VPS, and if they did it hasn't been around long. I'm not sure about ECP, but I believe that's new as well. For years, UA only served IAH from VPS on a once or twice daily 145 as a legacy CO route (no prior UA service at all; they were only in PNS), and up until they added Denver recently, that was all there was. They were pretty nonexistent in the market for a long time.

It's good to see UA add some outreach to smaller areas of Florida, which has traditionally been a weak point for them, but with everybody focusing on sunny markets to survive this winter, they're clearly just jumping on the bandwagon. I'm glad to see IAD-PNS return though.

I'm pretty sure UA was flying from ORD to all three of PNS/VPS/ECP before the pandemic, although only weekend service and possibly summer only.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

jayunited

Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:00 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

- IAH to Key West

UA is not jumping on the bandwagon, UA served VPS and ECP from ORD seasonally before the pandemic. I believe UA began seasonal service sometime in 2018 on these routes from ORD.

Also I'm not really sure what crankyflier.com has been doing for the past 8 months, but for them to also post a whole bunch of 767 and 777 flights have been moved to 787s leads me to believe somebody over there hasn't been paying attention. UA with every schedule change has been replacing traditional 767 and 777 international routes with 787s and UA is resuming seasonal flights to Florida at least from ORD.

Here is a link from April 2019 when UA announced new year around nonstop service between IAD-SRQ and IAD-RSW and extended seasonal service IAD-MIA. The link also displays all of UA's hubs and the Florida destinations passenger could reach from each of those hubs.
https://united.mediaroom.com/2019-04-10 ... da-Service

LAXintl

Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:13 pm

UA looking to raise more money and is seeking to $3bn through an enhanced equipment trust certificate (EETC) issuance, which is secured on a collateral pool of spare parts, spare engines and aircraft, currently valued at $5.8bn.

The collateral package comprises ALL of UA spare parts inventory, 99 spare engines representing all of the airline’s spare engines, and 352 aircraft across 11 variants, which has represents 43% of United’s mainline operating fleet.

Here is the prospectus
https://ir.united.com/static-files/fac0 ... 5d0f6be01b

MIflyer12

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:31 pm

LAXintl wrote:
The collateral package comprises ALL of UA spare parts inventory, 99 spare engines representing all of the airline’s spare engines, and 352 aircraft across 11 variants, which has represents 43% of United’s mainline operating fleet.

There are some old aircraft in there. One might recall that UA tried to collateralize this bunch of aircraft before (before they did the MileagePlus loan) and decided to pull the offering when it looked like rates might be 11.75% annually.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/05/ ... ering.aspx

Do you want to lend money against a 26-year-old 757? Not me.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:22 pm

jayunited wrote:
UA is not jumping on the bandwagon

They're adding winter frequencies to sunny locations, are they not? They are absolutely jumping on the bandwagon. How else would you describe their LGA experiment that runs totally contrary to their traditionally rigid hub and spoke model?

JFKalumni

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:51 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
jayunited wrote:

They're adding winter frequencies to sunny locations, are they not? They are absolutely jumping on the bandwagon. How else would you describe their LGA experiment that runs totally contrary to their traditionally rigid hub and spoke model?

It’s safe to say more experiments like this will come in the future. Remember a few years ago, UA tried LGA-RDU with a republic E-175.

jayunited

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:12 am

atcsundevil wrote:
jayunited wrote:

Now you are throwing in LGA, but your original comment that I commented on had nothing to do with LGA. Don't try to change direction now and include point to point routes now when the post you commented on was clearly directed towards UA hubs.

You want to say UA is jumping on the bandwagon from LGA you are100% correct, but to say we are jumping on the bandwagon when you are referencing certain hubs is clearly not true.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:25 am

jayunited wrote:
Now you are throwing in LGA, but your original comment that I commented on had nothing to do with LGA. Don't try to change direction now and include point to point routes now when the post you commented on was clearly directed towards UA hubs.

You want to say UA is jumping on the bandwagon from LGA you are100% correct, but to say we are jumping on the bandwagon when you are referencing certain hubs is clearly not true.

You might want to re-read what I said.

"with everybody focusing on sunny markets to survive this winter, they're clearly just jumping on the bandwagon."

That's not an incorrect statement, so I can throw LGA or whatever else in there if it involves sunny markets.

jayunited

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:35 am

atcsundevil wrote:
jayunited wrote:

You might want to re-read what I said.

"with everybody focusing on sunny markets to survive this winter, they're clearly just jumping on the bandwagon."

That's not an incorrect statement, so I can throw LGA or whatever else in there if it involves sunny markets.

I did reread your original post, and no where in that post are you referencing any point to point routes. In your post you specifically referenced ORD, IAH, DEN and IAD. Point to point routes like LGA, BOS, MKE, were never mentioned by you or anyone else not even the cranky flyer article.

Again if you are talking about point to point routes you are 100% correct UA is jumping on the band wagon. However your post is talking about UA hubs (which you clearly mentioned) while referencing jumping on a bandwagon is not 100% correct. UA has been adding routes to secondary cities in Florida from our hubs since 2018.

LAXintl

Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:07 am

MIflyer12 wrote:

There are some old aircraft in there. One might recall that UA tried to collateralize this bunch of aircraft before (before they did the MileagePlus loan) and decided to pull the offering when it looked like rates might be 11.75% annually.

Indeed.

The Financial Times takes a similar view with an apt title. After this there wont be much left to mortgage as they are throwing in just about anything random they can as collateral.

United throws ‘kitchen sink’ at investors to secure $3bn borrowing
https://www.ft.com/content/b11a4b7f-b18 ... 922db6d731

In good news though they managed a 6% interest rate, far better than last time when creditors wanted 10%+ (Though as the article mentions investment-grade corporate bonds are closer to 2% yield today).
Also Goldman Sachs agreed to provide a liquidity line to cover 18-months of interest payments.

All told this makes $22bil United has raised in the last 7-months. One heck of a pile of debt to dig out of.

intotheair

Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:45 am

LAXintl wrote:
UA looking to raise more money and is seeking to $3bn through an enhanced equipment trust certificate (EETC) issuance, which is secured on a collateral pool of spare parts, spare engines and aircraft, currently valued at $5.8bn.

Here is the prospectus

Fascinating to see what these planes are worth. Some of those 77As have a value barely above $1 million, and also interesting to see how much more valuable the GE-powered 77Es are than the PW ones.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:36 am

LAXintl wrote:
Indeed.

The Financial Times takes a similar view with an apt title. After this there wont be much left to mortgage as they are throwing in just about anything random they can as collateral.

In good news though they managed a 6% interest rate, far better than last time when creditors wanted 10%+ (Though as the article mentions investment-grade corporate bonds are closer to 2% yield today).
Also Goldman Sachs agreed to provide a liquidity line to cover 18-months of interest payments.

All told this makes $22bil United has raised in the last 7-months. One heck of a pile of debt to dig out of.

I had no idea that their Moody's credit rating dropped to Ba2 (considered "junk" in the non investment grade/speculative category). American is sitting just below at Ba3 and Delta only just in the prime category. I hadn't realized they'd ended up this over leveraged and seemingly short on options. If things don't break even by 2Q2021 as Kirby hopes, it seems pretty imperative that there be additional stimulus. In either case, it seems like their debt load is going to cripple them for years to come without an epic turnaround. I hate to use the "B" word, but seems like it may be the only way out for at least a couple of US airlines in the coming years.

UAinAUS

Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:43 am

UAX Update:

E145:
N16559 exited fleet, stored IGM
N12563 exited fleet, stored IGM
N15980 exited fleet, stored IGM
N14991 exited fleet, stored IGM

CR2:
N910EV (ex-DL 2002 build) entered UAX service with Skywest (EvoBlu livery)

CR7:
N512MJ return to flying

cosyr

Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:49 pm

intotheair wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Here is the prospectus

Fascinating to see what these planes are worth. Some of those 77As have a value barely above $1 million, and also interesting to see how much more valuable the GE-powered 77Es are than the PW ones.

Remembering back to my Accounting classes in grad school (it's a bit foggy, so don't take me as an expert), but they may not be able to value some assets higher if they have already depreciated them in years past, or they might be subject to higher taxes on something equivalent to a sales gain in value. If they were actually selling the planes, the increased value would more than make up for the taxes on that increased value of a depreciated asset, but as they are only leveraging their value for credit, they would be paying a chunk of the money they need to borrow in taxes.

If someone else is currently a tax professional, feel free to clean up the mess that I just wrote.

GmoneyCO

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:56 pm

cosyr wrote:
intotheair wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Here is the prospectus

Remembering back to my Accounting classes in grad school (it's a bit foggy, so don't take me as an expert), but they may not be able to value some assets higher if they have already depreciated them in years past, or they might be subject to higher taxes on something equivalent to a sales gain in value. If they were actually selling the planes, the increased value would more than make up for the taxes on that increased value of a depreciated asset, but as they are only leveraging their value for credit, they would be paying a chunk of the money they need to borrow in taxes.

If someone else is currently a tax professional, feel free to clean up the mess that I just wrote.

They can value the assets at a higher value than what they have them listed as on the books, they will just need to book the gain and pay taxes on that gain if they sell the asset. Re the values of some of the aircraft, i agree with you that its interesting to look at.

SJOtoLIR

Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:00 pm

AASAP777 wrote:
AA had service from both SAL and SJO to LAX, but with separate flights. AA798 was SAL-LAX and AA928 SJO-LAX.

How did AA fly to these stations ?
757 service ?

AASAP777

Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:58 pm

SJOtoLIR wrote:
AASAP777 wrote:
AA had service from both SAL and SJO to LAX, but with separate flights. AA798 was SAL-LAX and AA928 SJO-LAX.

How did AA fly to these stations ?
757 service ?

Yes, estimado tico. Both of them with 757. And both of them with daily service.

Saludos!

MIflyer12

Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:59 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
I had no idea that their Moody's credit rating dropped to Ba2 (considered "junk" in the non investment grade/speculative category). American is sitting just below at Ba3 and Delta only just in the prime category.

U.S. airlines being in the junk bond/speculative ratings categories isn't new. DL had climbed out not that long ago only to fall back down in Covid. IIRC only WN, AS and DL began Covid as investment-grade. January 15, 2020, Moody's affirmed a rating of Ba2 on UA, two notches below the bottom of investment grade. EETCs can carry higher ratings than senior unsecured debt. Barron's cited an analyst not impressed with UA's attempt to use an EETC for this tranche.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/united ... 1603209959

Let's see if this goes through and what kind of interest rate(s) they'll be paying.

jetmatt777

Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:05 pm

I wouldn't say it is a crippling debt load, yet. American's at $50bn probably is. It is a concerning sum though. It all depends on the terms, and when it matures. I am sure the company will be looking to restructure some of the debt when they can achieve better rates and more favorable terms.

I wonder if some of this recent offering will go to paying off some of the higher interest accumulated from earlier in the crisis?

jayunited

Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:05 pm

LAXintl wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Indeed.

I think UA is now somewhere near $32B dollars in debt, like you stated that is a staggering number. But all 3 of the US3 are up to their eyeballs in debt I think DL is somewhere around $26B in debt and who knows how much AA is in.

I know what UA told employees during the earnings live event but we really need to get our daily cash burn rate down.

In other UA news on today October 21st UA is beta testing a global health app on flights between the UK and the U.S.

For now the test was conducted on UA's LHR-EWR flight, it was 100% voluntary, passengers were not required to participate.

Volunteers were given a COVID test by certified lab the test results were then uploaded to the app on their smartphone. Passengers also completed the required health screening questions on their smartphone. Once the test result and the questionnaire are done the app generates a QR code that is scanned by airline staff (before boarding) and border officials (upon arrival). The CDC is working with their counterpart in the UK the aim is to hopefully reopen the border between these two countries, and to perhaps expand this to other countries.

The app eventually could be use to upload vaccination recorded.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2760HI

I may be going out on a limb here but I think in 2021 if people want to travel internationally they will need to show a negative COVID test or show they have been vaccinated (once available). I think this will be the new norm for all of 2021. Perhaps in 2022 countries may fully reopen meaning passengers will no longer need to show a negative test or vaccination records.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos