Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Re: American Airlines Considers Adding Freighters

Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
They’ve sold seven 757s to DHL

Ah, thanks. So that leaves around 17 757s? I guess some could be scrapped due to age?

ArcticSEA wrote:
By the time they're actually all converted, COVID will be in the rear view mirror.

That's possible, but the quote from AA's President of Cargo says "Up until a couple of years ago, the answer was just no" meaning even years ago there was a possibility of adding freighters, so even post-COVID it's still feasible?

UpNAWAy wrote:
Absolutely never going to happen. It makes no sense to have designated freight only aircraft/operation in a non pandemic world.

I'm assuming you're specifically talking about U.S. airlines and/or AA? Because there's obviously dozens of other airlines out there operating dedicated freighter fleets.

Boof02671

Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:22 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Ah, thanks. So that leaves around 17 757s? I guess some could be scrapped due to age?

ArcticSEA wrote:
By the time they're actually all converted, COVID will be in the rear view mirror.

That's possible, but the quote from AA's President of Cargo says "Up until a couple of years ago, the answer was just no" meaning even years ago there was a possibility of adding freighters, so even post-COVID it's still feasible?

UpNAWAy wrote:
Absolutely never going to happen. It makes no sense to have designated freight only aircraft/operation in a non pandemic world.

I'm assuming you're specifically talking about U.S. airlines and/or AA? Because there's obviously dozens of other airlines out there operating dedicated freighter fleets.

There was 34 retired in the last batch

Fixinthe757

Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:27 pm

Theyre already using a lot of their 772s as cargo haulers right now. We had 26 stored here at BFM, a small number went to ROW for long term storage, while a good number of them went into service for cargo operations. IF (and I doubt it) that ever happens, would make sense to convert those existing frames to cargo. But again, I don't see AA going that route

Boeing757100

Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:30 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:

I've heard that in 2019, that freight market was growing a lot, and that possibly by 2030, it would overtake the passenger market. This has only become more apparent due to the decrease in pax demand and the small rise in cargo demand. And anyways, we DON'T live in a non-pandemic world, so your argument has become obsolete.
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero

Polot

Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:40 pm

Honestly converted A32Xs, 737s, or 777s are the only planes that make sense. It doesn’t make sense to retire 757s, 767s, and A330s only to bring in a small fleet of them (because relative to the passenger fleet the freighter fleet would always be tiny) for cargo ops.

burnsie28

Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:53 pm

They could also do like Delta and others have done and remove seats to carry some cargo on the main deck.

tjwgrr

Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:59 pm

Ahh, the memories:

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

WayexTDI

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:07 pm

burnsie28 wrote:
They could also do like Delta and others have done and remove seats to carry some cargo on the main deck.

That's only a temporary solution; cargo-dedicated fleet did exist at AA and other US carriers, and still exist at other carriers.

Aptivaboy

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:26 pm

Ahh, the memories:

Thanks for posting those. I recall the 707 freighters fairly well, though I was quite young when they were around. The older AA livery will ALWAYS be better than the current monstrosity. I'd love to see AA back in dedicated cargo ops but as others have said, its all about the economics of things. Who knows? If Boeing wants to make a quick and dirty sale and AA can find the financing, maybe it could happen. A guy can dream.

Boof02671

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:29 pm

Just checked there are 9 763s still owned by AA stored and some of the 767s were leased to Jetran and or CAM instead of sold

Ziyulu

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:40 pm

They should order the 748! That would look good in AA colors.

CALMSP

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:48 pm

I would love to see them convert their remaining 763's into freighters, you could do a small 5 fleet, then would still allow their 757/767 pilots (does the pilot group fly both like they do at UA?) to fly and allow them to focus on the true freighter markets in Europe and S America. Heck, I'd like to see them convert a few 737's......but we can dream.

I still wish UA would have converted the old CO 762's into freighters!

Maybe since they are getting a little cozier with QR they could take the remaining three 33F's from them. If anything, that would probably be the safest bet into the freighter market for AA.
Last edited by CALMSP on Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antaras

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:54 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
They should order the 748! That would look good in AA colors.

Seems like the 748 fuselage production was ceased?

(No hope for the 748F, anyway. The 777XF is more likely)
If you disagree with my statement, assume that it was just a joke :duck:

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:03 pm

AA doesnt have the money to order new planes. They have 6-7 months of cash left at this point. Plus they have 777s. 767s and 757s just sitting on the ground, they will convert something

Boof02671

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:03 pm

CALMSP wrote:
I would love to see them convert their remaining 763's into freighters, you could do a small 5 fleet, then would still allow their 757/767 pilots (does the pilot group fly both like they do at UA?) to fly and allow them to focus on the true freighter markets in Europe and S America. Heck, I'd like to see them convert a few 737's......but we can dream.

I still wish UA would have converted the old CO 762's into freighters!

Maybe since they are getting a little cozier with QR they could take the remaining three 33F's from them. If anything, that would probably be the safest bet into the freighter market for AA.

There are no 767/757 pilot group at AA anymore

2eng2efficient

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:13 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:

In my experience, President-level employees in publicly traded corporations don’t openly discuss strategic plans unless they are under very serious consideration. Actually, airlines are somewhat unique in this respect - in many industries, you wouldn’t disclose a strategic plan unless it is board approved.

The freight market is growing fast and will be post-Covid. If a dedicated airfreight operation is modeled to meet or exceed the hurdle rate, then it will proceed. That’s especially true if alternative uses of the capital suddenly have an impaired ability to generate profits - which appears to be the case for hauling pax.

UA748i

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:31 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Could these be converted into freighters?

Yes, they could convert them. They'll have to get in line. It takes months to get conversions done, if not years with the backlog.

While this isnt hyperbole in the slightest...

In short, it ain't happening. AA will be lucky to be in business in 6 months.

...this is.

wjcandee

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:32 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
Just checked there are 9 763s still owned by AA stored and some of the 767s were leased to Jetran and or CAM instead of sold

Jetran has the option on all of those, and CAM has an option from Jetran to purchase up to all but I think 3 of those. In other words, if I recall, CAM had the option to all but five, and Jetran sold two of those five to DHL. And maybe there's a deal in the works for more. But CAM will take the rest and certainly convert the rest. They just don't have to put the money up until they're ready to acquire it and take it to Tel Aviv to convert. The deal that CAM made looked pretty aggressive at the time that they did it, but it turned out to be a brilliant, fantastic deal as things developed. And it was relatively low-risk because the options didn't cost it that much, and it wasn't obligated to take the planes if it didn't need to. Now that they have worked through a substantial volume of feedstock, I'm sure they couldn't be happier. These frames were well-maintained and have clear records, are all from the same place, and therefore convert easily and without a lot of paperwork drama.

dstblj52

UA748i wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Could these be converted into freighters?

Yes, they could convert them. They'll have to get in line. It takes months to get conversions done, if not years with the backlog.

...this is.

AA has a fairly large fleet team could they do conversions in house? probably not ideal but it might be doable

NameOmitted

Why is it so difficult to believe that a company with idle assets worth billions of dollars might be looking for a change in their business model that would allow the assets to no longer remain idle?

Polot

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:37 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
Why is it so difficult to believe that a company with idle assets worth billions of dollars might be looking for a change in their business model that would allow the assets to no longer remain idle?

Because it cost both time and money to change those assets to fit the new business model, and better hope the circumstances that are making pure freighters lucrative right now (not enough cargo volume in the air) don’t change in the mean time.

Boof02671

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:42 pm

dstblj52 wrote:
UA748i wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:

...this is.

AA has a fairly large fleet team could they do conversions in house? probably not ideal but it might be doable

No AA is not approved nor has the capability to convert in-house.
Last edited by Boof02671 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dstblj52

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:45 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
UA748i wrote:

...this is.

No AA is not approved nor has the capability to change nevertheless in-house.

Couldn't they license someone elses process if there is a capacity shortfall that might work

Boof02671

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:47 pm

dstblj52 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:

Couldn't they license someone elses process if there is a capacity shortfall that might work

No they have to get certified to do it.

Polot

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:49 pm

dstblj52 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:

Conversions is a major undertaking, as Boof02671 said AA does not have the capability in house. They need to find a certified converter and get in line.

CALMSP

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:53 pm

Polot wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

Because it cost both time and money to change those assets to fit the new business model, and better hope the circumstances that are making pure freighters lucrative right now (not enough cargo volume in the air) don’t change in the mean time.

given the amount of grounded fleets, reduced frequency's, cancelled routes, all which most likely won't come back soon, that cargo demand is going to be there for a few years minimum.

maverick4002

Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:00 pm

tjwgrr wrote:
Ahh, the memories:

That 747 does not look cute in that livery

NameOmitted

Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Polot wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

That being said, not a single major airline that I'm aware of is talking major expansions, abs the only people in the near term looking to buy aircraft are freighters. If an airline goes under in the near-term, it's likely to add passenger aircraft to the used market. Even if a dedicated freighter does not work out for them, it may be worth more in resale as they reduce their fleet size.

airlinepeanuts

Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:16 pm

AS had 737-700s converted in Israel. I’m sure AA can find some company somewhere to convert any plane in the fleet.

2eng2efficient

Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:52 pm

Hell, is AA looking to retire any legacy US A321s? I believe there is a company doing those conversions now, refer to the pictures of the Australian/QF freighter.

jeffrey0032j

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:19 am

737-800s would make the most sense for them. Their oldest are ageing planes for pax service in their fleet, but right age for cargo.

Ziyulu

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:26 am

Are there any other planes other than 747 that can load from the nose?

Weatherwatcher1

Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:06 am

Polot wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Conversions is a major undertaking, as Boof02671 said AA does not have the capability in house. They need to find a certified converter and get in line.

Anything is possible. For the right deal they might be able to get Boeing to use American’s facility to do conversion work that Boeing currently does in China, Taiwan and Singapore. If Tulsa is competitive, I see no reason why they couldn’t win the work from someone like EGAT or SASCO. I assume, that They’d be using Boeing’s engineering and existing certified STC for the 737BCF or 767BCF under a licensing agreement.

jmc1975

Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:59 am

Their older 772s converted would be the economically most feasible.

WayexTDI

Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:02 am

Ziyulu wrote:

The A330-700L (and the A300-600ST); but it's extremely doubtful Airbus will sell them.
Then you have the military cargo aircraft like the An-124 (and the second An-225 to be completed); this is surprisingly the most likely available for purchase.

migair54

Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:09 am

Ziyulu wrote:

At the end nose loading is not that important unless you carry oversize cargo, I have seen thousands of B747 cargo in many different places and most of the time they are just using the cargo door in the fuselage not the nose one. Actually most stands for planes are not designed to allow cargo nose loading, I think HKG is were I have seen most cargo B747 and I hardly remember anyone using the nose.

what would be the main market for AA cargo?? knowing that we could try to figure out what fleet would make more sense in case the order any plane or convert any of the current fleets.

could you imagine a B77W combi, with something like 100-110 seat in 3 class and a big cargo hold in the back after the wings.... right now that plane could be making good money.

VCVSpotter

Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:15 am

I’ve noticed that a lot of people have brought up the 777s as suggestions for conversions. However the only conversion program for them is GECAS’ 777-300ERSF freighter (and Kalitta is the launch customer in 2023 (!) so that’s not happening anytime soon/before the pandemic ends). If they take on 757/767Fs, they would need to get a new ‘group’ of pilots as that pilot group has since been let go as mentioned earlier. Anything like a 747 is NEVER going to happen no matter how much I, or other posters, wish it to. The economics don’t make sense, AND production is capped because the fuselage supplier is done with the 747. 737F/A321Fs are ok, but likely not the type American are looking into because they could toss the small freight loads onto several different flights and call it a day. A330F is also unlikely as AA retired all of those a week or so ago. My money would be on stripped out 772s. Not ‘official’ freighters in the common sense, but something that several carriers (look at Air Canada 77Ws) have done, and the simplest option without requiring the hiring of new pilot types.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9

tjwgrr

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:10 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

AN-225
AN-124
C-5
Carvair
Bristol 170

:wink2:
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

UpNAWAy

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:01 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

ArcticSEA wrote:

UpNAWAy wrote:

I am talking about any passenger carrier really but specifically in the US. I realize some have cargo only but I would contend that is not smart. If a route has enough cargo just add another of your B787s or other widebody to the route and also sell to passengers. Once you add up all the logistics of a cargo only operation on a small scale it would never ever make economic sense. It will always be a better decision just to add additional flights to a route and not have a designated cargo only operation. You are adding tremendous cost and complexity for only the benefit of cargo when you could just add another flight and get the benefit of both with zero additional cost or complexity. Again this is only an exercise in nothing is impossible but its 99,99% is in this case.

Ziyulu

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:14 pm

Does anyone know on a converted 747 to cargo, can it be modified to have a nose door?

jayunited

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:20 pm

burnsie28 wrote:

AA could do this but it would also require I believe 4 FA's in the cabin for fire watch. (At least over here at UA when cargo was loaded in the cabin we had to have 4 FA's in the cabin for fire watch.)

United is now has 9 77Es that are now dedicated freighters but we still have the seats onboard these aircraft and internally their code has been changed from 77E to 77F. There have been some modifications such as the addition of ballast in the aft galley. Maintenance has weighed and installed 6,000 pounds of ballast in the galley equipment and has secured it in the aft galley where it can not be removed from the aircraft until the aircraft is returned to passenger service. This and other modification help address nose heavy situations UA was running into early on in our cargo only operations on long haul flights that had a high fuel load.

So when AA says they are considering adding freighters they may not be talking about full conversions as some have mentioned. I full conversion would cost money which AA doesn't have right now, but small temporary changes could be the answer AA is looking for. They would then have a small fleet of freighters which they could then reintroduce back into passenger service when the pandemic is over.

One thing UA has made clear is we are not going back into full dedicated freighters because at some point shipping prices will come back down to earth. Right now prices are still high but as they come back down freighters just don't make a whole lot of sense for an airline like UA. I would assume the same is true for an airline like AA.
Last edited by jayunited on Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spacepope

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:20 pm

My money is just using stored current widebody fleet as pure freighters with the seats removed, no conversion needed (since slots are a year out anyway).
The last of the famous international playboys

Boof02671

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:30 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

ArcticSEA wrote:

UpNAWAy wrote:

I am talking about any passenger carrier really but specifically in the US. I realize some have cargo only but I would contend that is not smart. If a route has enough cargo just add another of your B787s or other widebody to the route and also sell to passengers. Once you add up all the logistics of a cargo only operation on a small scale it would never ever make economic sense. It will always be a better decision just to add additional flights to a route and not have a designated cargo only operation. You are adding tremendous cost and complexity for only the benefit of cargo when you could just add another flight and get the benefit of both with zero additional cost or complexity. Again this is only an exercise in nothing is impossible but its 99,99% is in this case.

A passenger plane can’t haul the volume of a cargo plane. That’s why FedEx, UPS etc are in business and adding planes.

Cargo demand is high and rising. It takes two months now to get car parts and electronics from China as there isn’t enough lift or ships.

My first job with Piedmont in Air Cargo in Tampa. We had the origination of both LGW flight on the 762, we were the fifth busiest cargo station in the system and we would have to book freight a week before it was to go out due to volume.

Many foreign carriers have cargo fleets and dry lease and are making money.

Amazon is growing by leaps and bounds and have added 738s P2F

Why do you think AA, DL and UA ran thousands of cargo only flights recently?

All major cargo operators are growing, not shrinking.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:55 pm

Does anyone know why AA's sending 787-8s to Amarillo?

N807AA flew DFW-AMA two days ago but had to return to DFW likely due to weather in AMA

The same aircraft is now scheduled to ferry on DFW-AMA later tonight: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n807aa

N813AN flew DFW-AMA last Monday: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N813AN

Are they being stored there?

Boof02671

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Does anyone know why AA's sending 787-8s to Amarillo?

N807AA flew DFW-AMA two days ago but had to return to DFW likely due to weather in AMA

The same aircraft is now scheduled to ferry on DFW-AMA later tonight: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n807aa

N813AN flew DFW-AMA last Monday: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N813AN

Are they being stored there?

They are going for wing paint repairs. The 787s all operators are having paint peeling issues.

BrianWilkes

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:37 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:

Have you ever thought they might lease some a/c freighters!

CALMSP

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:40 pm

BrianWilkes wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

Have you ever thought they might lease some a/c freighters!

that would all depend on verbiage within the pilot contract. I'd say that is probably not an option. I still think they should get Akbar on the phone and ask about the 3 remaining 33F's. This potentially could be the best option if they wanted a full freighter, small fleet, and then still be able to dump them in a few years.

Wacker1000

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:42 pm

AA is already flying around plenty of freighters. Have you see the load factors?

raylee67

Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:01 pm

The fastest and cheapest way to get freighters is probably to convert A332 into P2F. They can easily fly trans-Pacific via ANC and trans-Atlantic or N/S America routes non-stop.

China Airlines of Taiwan is already reporting that all freighter space ex-Asia to US are fully booked through December.

If AA can bring freighters online by mid-2021, there is still money to be made.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

Miamiairport

Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:05 pm

Wacker1000 wrote:
AA is already flying around plenty of freighters. Have you see the load factors?

I fly 1-2 a week on AA, including many wide body domestic flights out/in MIA and they all are 100% full. Now maybe they are full because of the dirt cheap fares.