Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Boof02671
Posts: 3128
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:26 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
How many Boeing 787-8s will American Airlines receive to be able to carry out all the scheduled routes with this model? 12 B788 should have arrived but 3 has barely arrived and I think that 23 are not enough to make all these routes

PHL - AMS/CDG/ZRH/DUB/MAD/PRG/ATH/VCE/BCN/LIS/FCO/SNN/EDI/MAN

ORD - ATH/DUB/CDG/BCN/FCO

MIA - SCL/EZE/GIG

DFW - PKX/DUB/LIM/EZE/SCL

AA ordered 47 more 787s in 2018, 22 787-8s and 25 787-9s

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2 ... fault.aspx


I already know that! The question when more B788s or the new delivery schedule will arrive, 12 B788s were planned for 2020 and 10 for 2021

But only 3 new B788s have arrived as is the delivery schedule in addition to Boeing reducing Dreamliner production

You’ll have to look through AA’s earnings releases, SEC filings or press releases
 
Boof02671
Posts: 3128
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:26 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
The question when more B788s or the new delivery schedule will arrive, 12 B788s were planned for 2020 and 10 for 2021

But only 3 new B788s have arrived as is the delivery schedule in addition to Boeing reducing Dreamliner production


They don't seem inclined to detail purchase commitments by year and type, instead talking about capital spending or reductions in capital spending. Look for the Annual Report in February.

Look in the third quarter filing with the SEC
 
chonetsao
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:48 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
How many Boeing 787-8s will American Airlines receive to be able to carry out all the scheduled routes with this model? 12 B788 should have arrived but 3 has barely arrived and I think that 23 are not enough to make all these routes

PHL - AMS/CDG/ZRH/DUB/MAD/PRG/ATH/VCE/BCN/LIS/FCO/SNN/EDI/MAN

ORD - ATH/DUB/CDG/BCN/FCO

MIA - SCL/EZE/GIG

DFW - PKX/DUB/LIM/EZE/SCL


I think it may just barely make it. Consider PHL is mostly summer only route, while MIA could up gauge to B789/B772 and reduce frequencies to SCL/EZE/GIG when B788 is needed in PHL. So we are really look at 3 sets:

Potential summer B789/B772 routes
PHL - CDG/MAD/BCN
ORD - DUB/CDG

Summer only B788
PHL - AMS/ZRH/DUB/PRG/ATH/VCE/LIS/FCO/SNN/EDI/MAN
ORD - ATH/BCN/FCO
DFW - PKX/DUB

Winter/Summer Equipment interchangeable routes:
MIA - SCL/EZE/GIG
DFW - PKX/LIM/EZE/SCL

I am sure AA will work out details to make sure aircrafts will be utilised to full. Besides, all schedule for 2021 summer is really anyone's guess at this moment. If the cruise passengers or TATL traffic is not coming back, stations like VCE/FCO/BCN/ATH may have a reduced frequencies compare with previous years.
 
User avatar
FLALEFTY
Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:03 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
The question when more B788s or the new delivery schedule will arrive, 12 B788s were planned for 2020 and 10 for 2021

But only 3 new B788s have arrived as is the delivery schedule in addition to Boeing reducing Dreamliner production


They don't seem inclined to detail purchase commitments by year and type, instead talking about capital spending or reductions in capital spending. Look for the Annual Report in February.

Look in the third quarter filing with the SEC


This is a quote from AA's latest 10k filing, dated 10/22/20:

"We currently have financing commitments in place for all aircraft on order and scheduled to be delivered through 2020. Additionally, we have financing commitments in place for 44 aircraft scheduled to be delivered in 2021: 16 Airbus A320 Family aircraft, 13 Boeing 787 Family aircraft, 10 Boeing 737 MAX Family aircraft and five Embraer 175 aircraft. Our ability to draw on the financing commitments we have in place is subject to (1) the satisfaction of various terms and conditions, including in some cases, on our acquisition of the aircraft by a certain date and the lifting of the grounding directive from the FAA of the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft by a certain date and (2) the performance by the counterparty providing such financing commitments of its obligations thereunder. We do not have financing commitments in place for the remaining eight Boeing 737 MAX Family aircraft scheduled to be delivered in 2021, however, we do have rights to defer these eight Boeing 737 MAX Family aircraft from 2021 to 2023. In addition, we also have rights to defer to 2023-2024 the 10 Boeing 737 MAX Family aircraft currently scheduled to be delivered in 2022. See Part II, Item 1A. Risk Factors – “We will need to obtain sufficient financing or other capital to operate successfully” for additional discussion."
 
Boof02671
Posts: 3128
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:26 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

They don't seem inclined to detail purchase commitments by year and type, instead talking about capital spending or reductions in capital spending. Look for the Annual Report in February.

Look in the third quarter filing with the SEC


This is a quote from AA's latest 10k filing, dated 10/22/20:

"We currently have financing commitments in place for all aircraft on order and scheduled to be delivered through 2020. Additionally, we have financing commitments in place for 44 aircraft scheduled to be delivered in 2021: 16 Airbus A320 Family aircraft, 13 Boeing 787 Family aircraft, 10 Boeing 737 MAX Family aircraft and five Embraer 175 aircraft. Our ability to draw on the financing commitments we have in place is subject to (1) the satisfaction of various terms and conditions, including in some cases, on our acquisition of the aircraft by a certain date and the lifting of the grounding directive from the FAA of the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft by a certain date and (2) the performance by the counterparty providing such financing commitments of its obligations thereunder. We do not have financing commitments in place for the remaining eight Boeing 737 MAX Family aircraft scheduled to be delivered in 2021, however, we do have rights to defer these eight Boeing 737 MAX Family aircraft from 2021 to 2023. In addition, we also have rights to defer to 2023-2024 the 10 Boeing 737 MAX Family aircraft currently scheduled to be delivered in 2022. See Part II, Item 1A. Risk Factors – “We will need to obtain sufficient financing or other capital to operate successfully” for additional discussion."

Well this answers it then
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:34 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
How many Boeing 787-8s will American Airlines receive to be able to carry out all the scheduled routes with this model? 12 B788 should have arrived but 3 has barely arrived and I think that 23 are not enough to make all these routes

PHL - AMS/CDG/ZRH/DUB/MAD/PRG/ATH/VCE/BCN/LIS/FCO/SNN/EDI/MAN

ORD - ATH/DUB/CDG/BCN/FCO

MIA - SCL/EZE/GIG

DFW - PKX/DUB/LIM/EZE/SCL

AA ordered 47 more 787s in 2018, 22 787-8s and 25 787-9s

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2 ... fault.aspx


I already know that! The question when more B788s or the new delivery schedule will arrive, 12 B788s were planned for 2020 and 10 for 2021

But only 3 new B788s have arrived as is the delivery schedule in addition to Boeing reducing Dreamliner production


Not all the PHL and ORD services, seasonal and year round, are likely to resume any time soon, given the pandemic. PHL in particular, and the seasonal ORD routes are leisure heavy, premium light, which makes them perfect for the 787-8 in AA's configuration, I'd expect fewer than 50% of these routes to operate in Summer 2021 and likely won't resume well past 2022. As for MIA, I don't see them using the 787 on the SCL or EZE routes, unless it is the -9.
 
Canuck600
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: American Airlines Considers Adding Freighters

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:20 pm

In theory how fast could American get a operation rolling if they pulled freighters out of the desert that were of a type of aircraft that they previously operated? Something that there pilots would be typed rated on but not current & picking aircraft that needed the least amount of return to service checks? Could they operational in 6 months?
 
Ishrion
Topic Author
Posts: 3637
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:10 pm

N872AN is set to be the first of American's newer 787-8s to enter commercial service.

It's currently scheduled on DFW-ORD today and ORD-DFW, DFW-GRU tomorrow.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n872an
 
UpNAWAy
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 pm

That aircraft N872AN has the new coach seat the Collins Aero, I believe that is the same seat United started upgrading their fleet with. It has the tilted angle design that is supposed to keep you backside more back in the seat bottom/back and make you feel more comfortable and appear to have more room in front of you.
 
Ishrion
Topic Author
Posts: 3637
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:22 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
That aircraft N872AN has the new coach seat the Collins Aero, I believe that is the same seat United started upgrading their fleet with. It has the tilted angle design that is supposed to keep you backside more back in the seat bottom/back and make you feel more comfortable and appear to have more room in front of you.


Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that. I knew it would have the Super Diamond J seats with dividers, but I haven’t heard anything on new Economy Class seats. I assume 870 and 871 also have the same interiors?
 
AA321T
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:00 am

Ishrion wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:
That aircraft N872AN has the new coach seat the Collins Aero, I believe that is the same seat United started upgrading their fleet with. It has the tilted angle design that is supposed to keep you backside more back in the seat bottom/back and make you feel more comfortable and appear to have more room in front of you.


Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that. I knew it would have the Super Diamond J seats with dividers, but I haven’t heard anything on new Economy Class seats. I assume 870 and 871 also have the same interiors?

You would be correct! All 787-8’s in the new batch have the new Collins Aero seats.
 
448205
Posts: 2323
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:04 am

Rookie87 wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Because they are not the same type rating. plus I believe the 777 pays more as it’s a heavier and bigger plane

They are both group IV and pay the same at AA. And there are some airlines with a common pilot pool between the two airplanes. None in the US, however. Here is an InFO notice addressing it, though, if they wanted to. https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviatio ... O11016.pdf


After reading this, I wonder why UA or AA wouldn't have a common type rating...any ideas why?



The issue is currency. The pilots would be able to fly both types, but they must remain current in both types.

It would be difficult to deal with since wide body pilots already have issues maintaining currency. They might only fly 3 or 4 trips a month, and with 3 or 4 pilots onboard they might be lucky to get one take off and landing.

3 take offs and landings would be required in both aircraft types (6 total) every 90 days.
 
Ishrion
Topic Author
Posts: 3637
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:33 am

AA321T wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:
That aircraft N872AN has the new coach seat the Collins Aero, I believe that is the same seat United started upgrading their fleet with. It has the tilted angle design that is supposed to keep you backside more back in the seat bottom/back and make you feel more comfortable and appear to have more room in front of you.


Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that. I knew it would have the Super Diamond J seats with dividers, but I haven’t heard anything on new Economy Class seats. I assume 870 and 871 also have the same interiors?

You would be correct! All 787-8’s in the new batch have the new Collins Aero seats.


Awesome, beam5192 posted a tour of the new 787-8 on his story: https://www.instagram.com/beam5192/

The divider for the J seats and the new Economy Class seats look nice.
 
User avatar
Rookie87
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:16 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
They are both group IV and pay the same at AA. And there are some airlines with a common pilot pool between the two airplanes. None in the US, however. Here is an InFO notice addressing it, though, if they wanted to. https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviatio ... O11016.pdf


After reading this, I wonder why UA or AA wouldn't have a common type rating...any ideas why?



The issue is currency. The pilots would be able to fly both types, but they must remain current in both types.

It would be difficult to deal with since wide body pilots already have issues maintaining currency. They might only fly 3 or 4 trips a month, and with 3 or 4 pilots onboard they might be lucky to get one take off and landing.

3 take offs and landings would be required in both aircraft types (6 total) every 90 days.



That's interesting. Thank you for the insight. One would think the domestic legs vs international on the wide bodies would make this easier for them but then there's probably not enough of those to go around for all the pilots at one base to share. Thank you Varsity1
 
User avatar
Rookie87
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:23 pm

Ishrion wrote:
AA321T wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that. I knew it would have the Super Diamond J seats with dividers, but I haven’t heard anything on new Economy Class seats. I assume 870 and 871 also have the same interiors?

You would be correct! All 787-8’s in the new batch have the new Collins Aero seats.


Awesome, beam5192 posted a tour of the new 787-8 on his story: https://www.instagram.com/beam5192/

The divider for the J seats and the new Economy Class seats look nice.


Thank you! The updated seat sure is an upgrade
 
User avatar
AAlaxfan
Posts: 734
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:05 pm

Ishrion wrote:
AA321T wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that. I knew it would have the Super Diamond J seats with dividers, but I haven’t heard anything on new Economy Class seats. I assume 870 and 871 also have the same interiors?

You would be correct! All 787-8’s in the new batch have the new Collins Aero seats.


Awesome, beam5192 posted a tour of the new 787-8 on his story: https://www.instagram.com/beam5192/

The divider for the J seats and the new Economy Class seats look nice.

Can you tell me where to find the post by beam5192? The video posted titled "787 tour" is an 87 week old video comparing the 787-9 to the 787-8.
 
Ishrion
Topic Author
Posts: 3637
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:26 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
AA321T wrote:
You would be correct! All 787-8’s in the new batch have the new Collins Aero seats.


Awesome, beam5192 posted a tour of the new 787-8 on his story: https://www.instagram.com/beam5192/

The divider for the J seats and the new Economy Class seats look nice.

Can you tell me where to find the post by beam5192? The video posted titled "787 tour" is an 87 week old video comparing the 787-9 to the 787-8.


Click on his profile picture with the glowing red circle. That's his Instagram story.
 
User avatar
AAlaxfan
Posts: 734
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:54 am

Ishrion wrote:
AAlaxfan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Awesome, beam5192 posted a tour of the new 787-8 on his story: https://www.instagram.com/beam5192/

The divider for the J seats and the new Economy Class seats look nice.

Can you tell me where to find the post by beam5192? The video posted titled "787 tour" is an 87 week old video comparing the 787-9 to the 787-8.


Click on his profile picture with the glowing red circle. That's his Instagram story.

Thank you!
 
747fan
Posts: 1009
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:40 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:58 am

One of the 2 other new 788's N871AY has entered revenue service as well. It's inaugural flight was DFW-MIA this morning
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N871AY
 
anymaninfc
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:33 am

747fan wrote:
One of the 2 other new 788's N871AY has entered revenue service as well. It's inaugural flight was DFW-MIA this morning
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N871AY


N870AX, the first new 788 has been moved from TUL to DFW, so I'd expect it to go into service any time now.
 
anymaninfc
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:37 am

Also in the pipeline for AA, are 788s N873BB, N874AN, N875BD, N876AL, N877BF and N878BG. By pipeline I mean everything from ready for delivery to parts arriving.
 
User avatar
N62NA
Posts: 4582
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:18 am

Ishrion wrote:
AA321T wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that. I knew it would have the Super Diamond J seats with dividers, but I haven’t heard anything on new Economy Class seats. I assume 870 and 871 also have the same interiors?

You would be correct! All 787-8’s in the new batch have the new Collins Aero seats.


Awesome, beam5192 posted a tour of the new 787-8 on his story: https://www.instagram.com/beam5192/

The divider for the J seats and the new Economy Class seats look nice.


Nice tour of the 2nd batch of AA 788s. Is it just me, or does it look like the last row of the J cabin window seats don't have a window?
 
Ishrion
Topic Author
Posts: 3637
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:24 pm

N62NA wrote:

Nice tour of the 2nd batch of AA 788s. Is it just me, or does it look like the last row of the J cabin window seats don't have a window?


Unfortunately, yes. Row 5 on both sides don't have windows.

Image

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american- ... reamliner/
 
User avatar
N62NA
Posts: 4582
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:52 am

Ishrion wrote:
N62NA wrote:

Nice tour of the 2nd batch of AA 788s. Is it just me, or does it look like the last row of the J cabin window seats don't have a window?


Unfortunately, yes. Row 5 on both sides don't have windows.

Image

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american- ... reamliner/



Thanks. Well that's unfortunate.
 
OB1504
Posts: 4016
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:14 am

747fan wrote:
One of the 2 other new 788's N871AY has entered revenue service as well. It's inaugural flight was DFW-MIA this morning
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N871AY


I fueled that airplane at MIA and marveled at how new it seemed, but I had no idea I was fueling it on its second day of revenue service.
 
eightcone
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 11:18 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:29 pm

Anyone know the tail number of the American 777 that diverted to Gander on 9/11?
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:26 pm

OMAAT is reporting that AA is looking to replace the A321T permanently on JFK-LAX/SFO with wide bodies and reconfigure the 321T into standard AA cabin layout.
 
User avatar
Rookie87
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:29 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
OMAAT is reporting that AA is looking to replace the A321T permanently on JFK-LAX/SFO with wide bodies and reconfigure the 321T into standard AA cabin layout.


That would be unfortunate. Love that configuration
 
chonetsao
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:54 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
OMAAT is reporting that AA is looking to replace the A321T permanently on JFK-LAX/SFO with wide bodies and reconfigure the 321T into standard AA cabin layout.


I wonder why AA would do this while they need all the cash they need. I would thought now and near term would be the most inconvenient times to do this sort of heavy job. I see why they would like to use widebodies instead of A321T, but I would like to think this is best to be done once they have better cash flow as the vaccine is introduced and travel starts to pick up.

Also interestingly what widebody would AA use? B788 in 20J (Consider A321T has 10F20J, I don't think it would be B788)? or A333/A332 to just run the time out these frames? I know A333 is officially retired and A332 is stored, but those seems to be the natural choice for minimum pilot conversion and mission length stage.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 3128
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:52 pm

chonetsao wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
OMAAT is reporting that AA is looking to replace the A321T permanently on JFK-LAX/SFO with wide bodies and reconfigure the 321T into standard AA cabin layout.


I wonder why AA would do this while they need all the cash they need. I would thought now and near term would be the most inconvenient times to do this sort of heavy job. I see why they would like to use widebodies instead of A321T, but I would like to think this is best to be done once they have better cash flow as the vaccine is introduced and travel starts to pick up.

Also interestingly what widebody would AA use? B788 in 20J (Consider A321T has 10F20J, I don't think it would be B788)? or A333/A332 to just run the time out these frames? I know A333 is officially retired and A332 is stored, but those seems to be the natural choice for minimum pilot conversion and mission length stage.

332s were permanently retired over a month ago.
 
MrPeanut
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:12 am

chonetsao wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
OMAAT is reporting that AA is looking to replace the A321T permanently on JFK-LAX/SFO with wide bodies and reconfigure the 321T into standard AA cabin layout.


I wonder why AA would do this while they need all the cash they need. I would thought now and near term would be the most inconvenient times to do this sort of heavy job. I see why they would like to use widebodies instead of A321T, but I would like to think this is best to be done once they have better cash flow as the vaccine is introduced and travel starts to pick up.

Also interestingly what widebody would AA use? B788 in 20J (Consider A321T has 10F20J, I don't think it would be B788)? or A333/A332 to just run the time out these frames? I know A333 is officially retired and A332 is stored, but those seems to be the natural choice for minimum pilot conversion and mission length stage.


Because their strategy did not work. While they achieved a revenue premium per passenger, their overall revenue dropped on the route when they attempted to swap volume with price. Now that we are in a covid/post covid environment, this issue is much worse as business travel will remain subdued for the near to mid term.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:59 am

chonetsao wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
OMAAT is reporting that AA is looking to replace the A321T permanently on JFK-LAX/SFO with wide bodies and reconfigure the 321T into standard AA cabin layout.


I wonder why AA would do this while they need all the cash they need. I would thought now and near term would be the most inconvenient times to do this sort of heavy job. I see why they would like to use widebodies instead of A321T, but I would like to think this is best to be done once they have better cash flow as the vaccine is introduced and travel starts to pick up.

Also interestingly what widebody would AA use? B788 in 20J (Consider A321T has 10F20J, I don't think it would be B788)? or A333/A332 to just run the time out these frames? I know A333 is officially retired and A332 is stored, but those seems to be the natural choice for minimum pilot conversion and mission length stage.


If they use twin aisle aircraft on JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO, it would be the 772 or 788 with a 77W thrown in on LAX when demand warrants it. The A332's aren't just stored, they have been exited from the fleet. The problem will be frequency. 772/788 is too much plane chasing too few customers in this environment and the immediate post-COVID19 one.
 
panam330
Posts: 2351
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:17 am

chonetsao wrote:
Also interestingly what widebody would AA use? B788 in 20J (Consider A321T has 10F20J, I don't think it would be B788)?

Given the current and expected future suppression for business travel, it's likely that if this rumor holds any truth it'll be 787-8 with upgauges to -9s as demand necessitates/recovers. It does seem plausible - take the 321Ts and reconfigure them to standard config to backfill the retired/retiring 757/738 frames, and fly JFK-LAX/SFO with 787s that have very little international block hours for the foreseeable future. It's win/win in my opinion; the 321Ts have an intimate atmosphere, but nothing beats those 787 windows and the new J seats are some of the best in the [North American] sky.
 
User avatar
N62NA
Posts: 4582
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:26 am

Using the 788 on JFK-LAX will be a decided downgrade in the premium cabin, as almost all the 788s have those horrible backwards/forwards seats in the front cabin.
 
USAirKid
Posts: 1116
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:53 am

I wonder if putting the wide bodies on the NYC-LAX routes is more a play about keeping the pilots current on the plane, so that when they are ready to deploy them overseas they’re ready.

From a pilot perspective the currency on a A321T is shared across the whole A320 family.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 26095
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:13 am

These A321T flights historically had high RASM, but the low density config also means high CASM.

In COVID world, there is zero need for the high frequency transcon service (and cost attached to it) for which the corporate demand is not there.

Post COVID its likely the market will not only be smaller for some time, it will be ever more competitive both United reentering the market and stating it wants a slice of AA's entertainment business, JetBlue mint continues to grow, while Delta seems aggressive also with its offering.

So, no it would not shock me to see the 321T concept be put out to pasture and assets used some other way. Running a widebody a few times a day likely will satisfy much of the AA demand, be done at lower seat cost, with added benefit of plenty of cargo capacity.

Every economic downturn has meant stark changes for the industry, and this one is turning out to be deeper and likely longer than anything experienced since deregulation.
 
UpNAWAy
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:44 pm

N62NA wrote:
Using the 788 on JFK-LAX will be a decided downgrade in the premium cabin, as almost all the 788s have those horrible backwards/forwards seats in the front cabin.



Actually only 20 out of 42 so less than half.
 
jgcotter
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:30 pm

AA appears to be parking A319s. N760US ferried to ROW yesterday and N766US is scheduled for tomorrow. Unless they’re going to ROW for a paint touch-up?
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 1042
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:58 pm

 
anymaninfc
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:00 am

Looks like AA is positioning a MAX to Miami. Acft N314RH is headed that way. Incidentally, it flew some TUL-DFW flights yesterday.
 
PSA727
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:49 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:03 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
OMAAT is reporting that AA is looking to replace the A321T permanently on JFK-LAX/SFO with wide bodies and reconfigure the 321T into standard AA cabin layout.

With the 321neoXLR coming online at AA in 2023, I don't see need for the 321T to remain in the subfleet. If the XLRs get the intl configuration of all-aisle-access J seats, and maybe even a 12-seat premium economy cabin, then they can be rotated into the JFK-LAX/SFO routes along with an occasional 787-8 during high-demand times. The 321Ts will also lose some of its necessities (i.e. numerous frequencies) once the AA/B6 partnership commences.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 3128
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:32 pm

anymaninfc wrote:
Looks like AA is positioning a MAX to Miami. Acft N314RH is headed that way. Incidentally, it flew some TUL-DFW flights yesterday.

They are doing five employee only flights. DFW(2x) MIA, LGA and one more. Wednesday Parker flew TUL-DFW on the Max and yesterday they had a media flight DFW-TUL-DFW.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:38 pm

PSA727 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
OMAAT is reporting that AA is looking to replace the A321T permanently on JFK-LAX/SFO with wide bodies and reconfigure the 321T into standard AA cabin layout.

With the 321neoXLR coming online at AA in 2023, I don't see need for the 321T to remain in the subfleet. If the XLRs get the intl configuration of all-aisle-access J seats, and maybe even a 12-seat premium economy cabin, then they can be rotated into the JFK-LAX/SFO routes along with an occasional 787-8 during high-demand times. The 321Ts will also lose some of its necessities (i.e. numerous frequencies) once the AA/B6 partnership commences.


That makes sense, and it has been stated by the company that the A321XLR will be deployed to JFK, and will be easy enough to rotate from TATL to LAX/SFO as needed, but AA needs a stop gap between 2021 and 2023, a long span of time, though it is very unclear as to whether traffic levels, and specifically, premium demand which the 321T fulfilled, will pick up. If it does, and AA reactivates more wide bodies plus the 788/789s coming on line in the next order batch, then they'll need to figure out how to calibrate frequency with aircraft utilization and even with the B6 partnership, they'll need to offer something that can work alongside MINT (similar to what DL had to do with VS on JFK-LHR) and minimize the glaring differences between product offerings in the premium cabin. The 788/789 is too much plane for JFK-LAX/SFO, so I'd suspect frequencies may stay down, and LAX will see AA 772s if the 321T is removed permanently. SFO is another story. AA has indicated JFK-SFO does not work on a wide body for them, so either the 321T sub fleet gets smaller or they exit completely and cede SFO to B6, which is plausible, but seems unlikely given AA's NY strategy of flying to business destinations based on corporate contracts. There is no other aircraft in the AA fleet that can do these flights without it just being a standard product, and I don't see AA using 737-800s, 737-MAX8s, or standard A321s on these runs. The other wild card, is AS. Their product is the weakest in the premium cabin and does not compete well with B6, DL, and UA. If they exit JFK-SFO, then I see AA keeping the T's and reducing the frequency to 2-3 at most a day and the rest goes to B6.
 
avi8
Posts: 1509
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:36 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:44 pm

I think AA will make a come back at JFK once the pandemic is over and the dust settles. Europe will come back, especially with the A321XLR, transcons will come back, and maybe some FL routes. Nothing like DL or B6, but they will polish and reform the current hub (which is barely a focus city right now).
 
User avatar
N62NA
Posts: 4582
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:22 am

UpNAWAy wrote:
N62NA wrote:
Using the 788 on JFK-LAX will be a decided downgrade in the premium cabin, as almost all the 788s have those horrible backwards/forwards seats in the front cabin.



Actually only 20 out of 42 so less than half.



They have 42 788s right now? I thought the second batch was coming over the next few years and we were stuck with the original backwards/forwards J seats on the vast majority of them for at least the next few years.
 
Detroit313
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:30 am

N62NA wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:
N62NA wrote:
Using the 788 on JFK-LAX will be a decided downgrade in the premium cabin, as almost all the 788s have those horrible backwards/forwards seats in the front cabin.



Actually only 20 out of 42 so less than half.



They have 42 788s right now? I thought the second batch was coming over the next few years and we were stuck with the original backwards/forwards J seats on the vast majority of them for at least the next few years.


Of those 42 787 you are thinking of, 22 are 787-9 with all forward facing seats.

Only the first 20 787-8 have the backwards seats.
 
User avatar
N62NA
Posts: 4582
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:56 am

Detroit313 wrote:
N62NA wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:


Actually only 20 out of 42 so less than half.



They have 42 788s right now? I thought the second batch was coming over the next few years and we were stuck with the original backwards/forwards J seats on the vast majority of them for at least the next few years.


Of those 42 787 you are thinking of, 22 are 787-9 with all forward facing seats.

Only the first 20 787-8 have the backwards seats.


OK, now I see what he meant. My point is, that if they are going to fly the 788 (not 789) on this route, there will be a very high chance of getting the backwards/forwards J seats, even with the second batch of 788s coming over the next few years with the all forwards J seats. I wasn't talking about 789 at all. Thanks for the assist!
 
anymaninfc
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:30 am

AA just received it's next B737-8 MAX from Boeing, acft N323SG. Delivered on flt# AAL9825.
 
Detroit313
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:06 am

Is this the 25th MAX?
 
Ishrion
Topic Author
Posts: 3637
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2020

Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:04 pm

AA's next A321neo is the 200th A320 Family aircraft delivered from Mobile, AL.

https://twitter.com/AirbusInTheUS/statu ... 2519392258

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos