Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

blockski

Re: DC Airports Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Visible work on the south security checkpoint at DCA has resumed - steel has gone up over the Terminal B metro bridge (which is temporarily closed at night for construction). Because of utility issues, there hadn't been much progress in steel erection recently.

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Pro ... C1ctjhJOhU

At the north checkpoint, there's a large new excavation around what looks to be water/sewer infrastructure, which must be part of the utility work MWAA said was ongoing and previously unknown.

washingtonflyer

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:40 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
More silver line delays possible after new flaws found in concrete panels and in train control software.

https://wtop.com/tracking-metro-24-7/20 ... ing-delay/

Surprise! Hello 2021!

https://wtop.com/tracking-metro-24-7/20 ... re-delays/

blockski

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Some pictures of DCA construction from social media:

Most of the steel work on the New North Concourse is complete - the remaining task is to tie in the roof of the new concourse to the existing building:
https://twitter.com/AdamTuss/status/1229869833266847744

You can also see a lot of vertical steel construction at the south security checkpoint, now visible from the departures road (and certainly on an inbound Metro train):
https://twitter.com/AdamTuss/status/1229873781105098754

The decking over the arrivals roadway is also proceeding apace; the full scope of the new spaces should be relatively apparent in the near future. The north checkpoint is noticeably slower to come around; there's a large cut in the roadway below for some of the unknown utilities.

Also, MWAA has posted their board meeting documents. Mostly financial items this month, but there is this - a contract award for a new lounge (sponsored by Capital One) at the base of the old Control Tower at Dulles: https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... irport.pdf

MartijnNL

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:15 pm

tharanga wrote:
Does anybody know the latest schedule for when National Hall will no longer be accessible, pre-security?

National Hall will no longer be accessible, pre-security? That's terrible news for aviation enthusiasts. It probably is one of the best locations, pre-security, to watch aircraft in the entire United States. Why does it have to go away? When will any airport in the United States create a public accessible place to watch aircraft instead of removing one?

tharanga wrote:
I am one of the few people who go to DCA just to hang out, pre-security, in that space. It's good for plane-watching with kids, especially if the weather makes Gravelly point unpleasant.

So am I. In the past, during two seperate holidays, I have spent several days at National Hall. It is very convenient for aircraft spotters who don't have a plane ticket. I remember one rainy day being a great day, because I logged a lot of aircraft. Twice we visited the airport just to have dinner while taking in all the action. I love this airport, but it seems I won't be loving it in the future.

washingtonflyer

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Gotta love this twitter post:

"Can we have a ceremonial stoning of 35X?"

UALFAson

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:30 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
National Hall will no longer be accessible, pre-security?

That's the whole point of this project: to make National Hall and all the shops and restaurants located there to be post security (along with the separate project to build a regional concourse to replace Gate 35X).

The problem is many passengers get to the airport, check in, and then head immediately to security checkpoints and their gates, especially as the non-Pre Check lines have gotten ridiculously long. Then you've got too many people hanging out in the piers, which aren't big enough to accommodate that many folks, and they're not spending money at the establishments in National Hall.

I grew up and lived for decades basically within walking distance of DCA and was really disappointed when they first made this announcement. But as I thought about it, how many times do I really actually go over to DCA just to hang out and eat and shop? Almost never, and I'm an AvGeek. Now that I have moved away and commute through DCA for work and pleasure, I'm even more in favor of the change as the post-security piers have gotten almost intolerable with crowds.

I think this construction project to build a whole new screening center is a total boondoggle versus just moving security to either end of the existing ticketing level, but that's another discussion for another time.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

capitalflyer

Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:54 pm

Earlier this morning apparently the fire alarm in the tower went off forcing controllers to evacuate and move to back up location. Story below.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/fire-alarm- ... icials-say

dcaproducer

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:47 pm

UALFAson wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
National Hall will no longer be accessible, pre-security?

That's the whole point of this project: to make National Hall and all the shops and restaurants located there to be post security (along with the separate project to build a regional concourse to replace Gate 35X).

The problem is many passengers get to the airport, check in, and then head immediately to security checkpoints and their gates, especially as the non-Pre Check lines have gotten ridiculously long. Then you've got too many people hanging out in the piers, which aren't big enough to accommodate that many folks, and they're not spending money at the establishments in National Hall.

I grew up and lived for decades basically within walking distance of DCA and was really disappointed when they first made this announcement. But as I thought about it, how many times do I really actually go over to DCA just to hang out and eat and shop? Almost never, and I'm an AvGeek. Now that I have moved away and commute through DCA for work and pleasure, I'm even more in favor of the change as the post-security piers have gotten almost intolerable with crowds.

I think this construction project to build a whole new screening center is a total boondoggle versus just moving security to either end of the existing ticketing level, but that's another discussion for another time.

DCA really needs the space in National Hall to spread out the passengers. As you pointed out the piers just don't have enough room. The airport is also going to reclaim some of the current security checkpoint space and likely add more retail/restaurants. This will make National Hall a great place for travelers to hang out before a flight.

I cannot wait for the construction over the arrivals area to wrap up. Getting picked up at DCA is a huge pain right now.

izbtmnhd

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:11 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
More silver line delays possible after new flaws found in concrete panels and in train control software.

Surprise! Hello 2021!

Wasn't there a guy on here a few months ago swearing it would be completed by the summer?

I guess early 2021 isn't too bad of a delay as it would put the project only about 18-months behind schedule but the longer it drags into 2021 the bigger a boondoogle this may become. Thinking it can't go any later since most of the major construction is done so MWAA contractors will have several months now to focus on repairing the leftover issues.

I wonder how much of the new mid-rise construction near the Reston Town Center station will be complete before it opens.

blockski

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:23 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:

Surprise! Hello 2021!

Wasn't there a guy on here a few months ago swearing it would be completed by the summer?

I guess early 2021 isn't too bad of a delay as it would put the project only about 18-months behind schedule but the longer it drags into 2021 the bigger a boondoogle this may become. Thinking it can't go any later since most of the major construction is done so MWAA contractors will have several months now to focus on repairing the leftover issues.

I wonder how much of the new mid-rise construction near the Reston Town Center station will be complete before it opens.

Well, you have to define what 'completed' means. While WMATA is claiming things are not finished, the Airports Authority is saying they're still on schedule and ready to declare substantial completion by Summer. So, it's entirely possible that the project will be 'completed' in the summer and yet service won't start as MWAA and WMATA hash out their differences.

This month's MWAA Board Meeting didn't have any Metro project updates.

MartijnNL

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:39 pm

Thank you UALFAson and dcaproducer for your replies. Much appreciated. Understandable the airport wants to alleviate the pressure on the piers. But still a shame to see a great landside aircraft spotting location disappear.

Does one of you perhaps know when National Hall will be closed for the general public? Maybe I could schedule one last visit to the airport before that happens.

TXMikeDC

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:51 am

MartijnNL wrote:
tharanga wrote:
Does anybody know the latest schedule for when National Hall will no longer be accessible, pre-security?

National Hall will no longer be accessible, pre-security? That's terrible news for aviation enthusiasts. It probably is one of the best locations, pre-security, to watch aircraft in the entire United States. Why does it have to go away? When will any airport in the United States create a public accessible place to watch aircraft instead of removing one?

tharanga wrote:
I am one of the few people who go to DCA just to hang out, pre-security, in that space. It's good for plane-watching with kids, especially if the weather makes Gravelly point unpleasant.

So am I. In the past, during two seperate holidays, I have spent several days at National Hall. It is very convenient for aircraft spotters who don't have a plane ticket. I remember one rainy day being a great day, because I logged a lot of aircraft. Twice we visited the airport just to have dinner while taking in all the action. I love this airport, but it seems I won't be loving it in the future.

Not as good as National Hall, but BWI does have a pre-security observation gallery with a play place for kids, an art gallery, rockers, binocular viewers, model airplanes, and more.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:56 am

OMAAT is reporting that Capital One will be building a lounge at IAD to open sometime next year. It will be in the main terminal post security, around 9,100ft², and cost around $7.5 million. For a space that large, it sounds like it will involve an addition. They're advertising "premium dining and drinks" as part of the concept, in addition to shower and spa facilities. Clearly this is an attempt at challenging American Express Centurion Lounges, which will presumably be expanding to a DC airport in the future.

It isn't clear what the entry requirements will be — Capital One lacks a premium travel card like the AMEX Platinum, but there have been rumors that they might release one. This could be part of a new card launch. It will be run by a third party vendor, so it could possibly be a Priority Pass lounge and/or be offered at some sort of discount to cardholders.

Being in the main terminal, it won't be very practical for connecting passengers, but will be pretty convenient for pax departing IAD. In any event, more lounge space is always a plus, especially when IAD is already fairly spoiled for choice.

https://onemileatatime.com/capital-one- ... s-airport/

LoudounHound

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:16 pm

Numbers are out for 2019: https://www.mwaa.com/about/2019-dulles- ... statistics

IAD up 3.1% to 24.8 million
DCA up 1.8% to 23.9 million

TEMPO

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:27 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:

Surprise! Hello 2021!

Turns out that Metro management says it might be even later. Summer 2021.

https://wtop.com/tracking-metro-24-7/20 ... into-2021/

blockski

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:28 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
OMAAT is reporting that Capital One will be building a lounge at IAD to open sometime next year. It will be in the main terminal post security, around 9,100ft², and cost around $7.5 million. For a space that large, it sounds like it will involve an addition. They're advertising "premium dining and drinks" as part of the concept, in addition to shower and spa facilities. Clearly this is an attempt at challenging American Express Centurion Lounges, which will presumably be expanding to a DC airport in the future.

It isn't clear what the entry requirements will be — Capital One lacks a premium travel card like the AMEX Platinum, but there have been rumors that they might release one. This could be part of a new card launch. It will be run by a third party vendor, so it could possibly be a Priority Pass lounge and/or be offered at some sort of discount to cardholders.

Being in the main terminal, it won't be very practical for connecting passengers, but will be pretty convenient for pax departing IAD. In any event, more lounge space is always a plus, especially when IAD is already fairly spoiled for choice.

https://onemileatatime.com/capital-one- ... s-airport/

Dedicated readers of this thread will note I included the link to this item on the MWAA Board Agenda in a previous post. :D

The Board Meeting slides make it clear that the existing space is 9,100 sf, so I doubt there's an actual addition planned - just renovation. Just a quick measurement in Google Maps shows the base of the old tower to be about 100 feet square, so 9,100 sf makes sense.

I'd love for them to find a way to make use of the old tower itself somehow - for observation or something.

capitalflyer

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:02 pm

TXMikeDC wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
tharanga wrote:

tharanga wrote:

Not as good as National Hall, but BWI does have a pre-security observation gallery with a play place for kids, an art gallery, rockers, binocular viewers, model airplanes, and more.

The historic lobby in Terminal A is a great place to watch with big windows as well. No seats though, just tiers you can sit on.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:21 pm

blockski wrote:
Dedicated readers of this thread will note I included the link to this item on the MWAA Board Agenda in a previous post. :D

The Board Meeting slides make it clear that the existing space is 9,100 sf, so I doubt there's an actual addition planned - just renovation. Just a quick measurement in Google Maps shows the base of the old tower to be about 100 feet square, so 9,100 sf makes sense.

I'd love for them to find a way to make use of the old tower itself somehow - for observation or something.

D'oh! — I do follow this thread, but I clearly didn't make it to the bottom of your post. I think my eyes glaze over at the terms "board meeting" and "MWAA" for reasons that are simply beyond my control. In any case, it's an interesting development. $7.5 million is a pretty good chunk of change, so if it is an existing space, it must require some relatively extensive renovation. It's a bold strategy putting it in the main terminal, but if their goal is to corner the market from AMEX, it seems like a good plan. There really isn't a whole lot of space in either of the midfield concourses without some major construction (e.g. the upcoming Polaris Lounge), so Capital One may have locked up some of the last readily available space at the airport.

I agree about the old tower. Something really should be done with it, because it's too great of a space to leave vacant. The entire terminal is an iconic piece of aviation history, so it would be nice to see the MWAA embrace that a little more.

blockski

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:15 am

atcsundevil wrote:
blockski wrote:

D'oh! — I do follow this thread, but I clearly didn't make it to the bottom of your post. I think my eyes glaze over at the terms "board meeting" and "MWAA" for reasons that are simply beyond my control. In any case, it's an interesting development. $7.5 million is a pretty good chunk of change, so if it is an existing space, it must require some relatively extensive renovation. It's a bold strategy putting it in the main terminal, but if their goal is to corner the market from AMEX, it seems like a good plan. There really isn't a whole lot of space in either of the midfield concourses without some major construction (e.g. the upcoming Polaris Lounge), so Capital One may have locked up some of the last readily available space at the airport.

I agree about the old tower. Something really should be done with it, because it's too great of a space to leave vacant. The entire terminal is an iconic piece of aviation history, so it would be nice to see the MWAA embrace that a little more.

Ha. No worries, I probably picked the most boring possible lede. Who’s ready for... board meeting minutes!

I suspect lots of people would love to do something with the Tower, but I also bet it was never designed for this and thus might have all sorts of fire code issues with ingress and egress. Those might not be insurmountable, but probably expensive.

Given that DCA had to evacuate the tower this week due to a fire alarm, I believe they used to use the old tower as backup at IAD, but no longer need to. Is that correct?

The other thing about this lounge location: while it’s not near most gates, it is basically directly on top of the main terminal Aerotrain station. So it shouldn’t be too hard to get in and out. Also, the Dulles Capital Budget has had a line item for a modest five gate or so expansion. The most obvious location would be for the other side of the Z gates, which would add more gates adjacent to this lounge.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:01 am

blockski wrote:
Ha. No worries, I probably picked the most boring possible lede. Who’s ready for... board meeting minutes!

I suspect lots of people would love to do something with the Tower, but I also bet it was never designed for this and thus might have all sorts of fire code issues with ingress and egress. Those might not be insurmountable, but probably expensive.

Given that DCA had to evacuate the tower this week due to a fire alarm, I believe they used to use the old tower as backup at IAD, but no longer need to. Is that correct?

The other thing about this lounge location: while it’s not near most gates, it is basically directly on top of the main terminal Aerotrain station. So it shouldn’t be too hard to get in and out. Also, the Dulles Capital Budget has had a line item for a modest five gate or so expansion. The most obvious location would be for the other side of the Z gates, which would add more gates adjacent to this lounge.

I'm not sure if the old tower is still their contingency or not. There always is a contingency plan, and usually it's the next highest point/somewhere with the best vantage. Sometimes it's ramp tower, sometimes it's literally just a parking deck. I'm not sure that the old tower actually makes for the best contingency, since it's actually pretty far from the new ATCT. Worst case, I believe there is a mobile tower somewhere around here locally (at least that's what I've been told), so it can probably be on site at any of the DC airports within a couple of hours.

Assuming the old tower is available to be repurposed, I'm sure it's some sort of code issue...bad wiring, asbestos, fire access, fire suppression, etc. Nothing is ever insurmountable, but it's always a question of money, especially when the MWAA is pretty bad with money. There's got to be some way to put it back to good use.

jplatts

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:15 am

While most of the destinations that AA serves nonstop from DCA have nonstop service out of DCA, BWI, or IAD on other airlines, there are some non-AA hub destinations that have nonstop service out of DCA on AA but no nonstop service to DCA, BWI, or IAD on other airlines such as AGS, CRW, CHA, DSM, XNA, JAN, EYW, LAN, LIT, MLB, MGM, and TLH.

If AA does make some cuts at DCA, some of the demand to/from DCA could be absorbed by other carriers, including UA at DCA, WN at BWI, NK at BWI, and G4 at BWI.

N292UX

Tue May 12, 2020 2:17 am

Yesterday afternoon I saw a Pakistan International 772 landing at IAD, inbound from YYZ. The routing of it was ISB-YYZ-IAD-ISB. I wonder what that was all about. I'm guessing some sort of cargo flight?

N292UX

Tue May 12, 2020 2:18 am

Furthermore, IAD is getting the final DL MD-88 flight (DL80) on June 2. Departs at 7:00 am.

winstonavgeek

Tue May 12, 2020 3:14 am

N292UX wrote:
Yesterday afternoon I saw a Pakistan International 772 landing at IAD, inbound from YYZ. The routing of it was ISB-YYZ-IAD-ISB. I wonder what that was all about. I'm guessing some sort of cargo flight?

It was a repatriation flight for Pakistani nationals. There should be another one on Wednesday.

UALFAson

Tue May 12, 2020 4:07 am

N292UX wrote:
Furthermore, IAD is getting the final DL MD-88 flight (DL80) on June 2. Departs at 7:00 am.

Just tried booking a ticket and flight is already shown as Sold Out in all classes. Wonder how many--if any--revenue tickets were sold versus seats held back for media, employees, VIPs, etc.?
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2020 4:35 am

winstonavgeek wrote:
N292UX wrote:

It was a repatriation flight for Pakistani nationals. There should be another one on Wednesday.

I noticed that a Vietnam Airlines 78X just did Hanoi-Dulles, then pretty much immediately headed back (via ANC for the return). Presumably this is a repatriation flight as well. They must have had to bring along two crews given the minimal turn time. That's a heck of a lot of flying.

N292UX wrote:

I managed to catch a ride a couple of days ago on DAL1201. I'm sure that was my last ever flight on a Maddog, which is a strange feeling. I have to admit, I will be very sad to see them go. Hopefully the 717s hang around for a while, but they aren't getting any younger either.

capitalflyer

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:34 pm

Stats are out for March 2020 and unsurprisingly everything is down significantly. One thing that wasn't interestingly is domestic departures for IAD. It was actually up 6% (426 in 2020 vs. 399 in 2019 for March). Both saw pax numbers decrease by more than 50% year over year.

https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... 1.20_0.pdf

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:28 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
Stats are out for March 2020 and unsurprisingly everything is down significantly. One thing that wasn't interestingly is domestic departures for IAD. It was actually up 6% (426 in 2020 vs. 399 in 2019 for March). Both saw pax numbers decrease by more than 50% year over year.

https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... 1.20_0.pdf

Those domestic numbers don't surprise me at all. Domestic traffic on the east coast didn't really start dropping off until very late March. Prior to that, the mid morning, mid afternoon, and evening pushes at IAD were rocking as much as it has in years. March 23 was when east coast traffic noticeably started dropping off, and it bottomed out about two weeks later. Unfortunately we won't likely see those numbers again for several years...2025 at the earliest, if I had to guess.

graham697

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:42 pm

Either Iberia has sold out its last flight on October 23rd or they are pulling service this year. Per expertflyer, inventory has been zero'd out. We were looking to fly that route for a late year trip to Spain, but I guess not. Hope they come back next year!

jplatts

Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:10 am

WN re-adding BWI-LGA nonstop service is a possibility if WN picks up extra slots at LGA as WN re-adding BWI-LGA nonstop service would allow easier access to NYC from destinations such as BHM, CHS, CLT, CVG, CLE, CMH, DTW, GRR, IND, SDF, MKE, ORF, PIT, and RDU.

Here were the number of passengers, number of seats, load factors, and PDEW's for BWI-LGA/EWR in 2012:
BWI-LGA - 215019 passengers, 292678 seats, 73.47% load factor, PDEW of 60 on WN
BWI-EWR - 152084 passengers, 274597 seats, 55.38% load factor, PDEW of 31 on WN

WN can likely make BWI-LGA nonstop service work once demand for domestic air travel returns with
(a) WN having some O&D traffic on its BWI-LGA and BWI-EWR nonstop flights back in 2012 when it served LGA and EWR nonstop from BWI,
(b) WN being able to more easily connect passengers to LGA from the West, Midwest, and Southeast if it re-adds BWI-LGA nonstop service,
(c) WN no longer serving EWR, and
(d) WN having more connecting feed on BWI-LGA than it did 8 years ago due to WN adding additional nonstop routes out of BWI such as BWI-CLT/CVG/GRR/MEM/MSP/SMF.

N292UX

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:22 am

UA is back up to 2 banks at IAD and I'm not sure when they will even add back a third bank, yet alone the 4th bank. I don't think we see 4 banks until mid-2021 at the earliest. So much for that talk of going up to 6 banks at IAD. May not have happened anyways.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:27 am

N292UX wrote:
UA is back up to 2 banks at IAD and I'm not sure when they will even add back a third bank, yet alone the 4th bank. I don't think we see 4 banks until mid-2021 at the earliest. So much for that talk of going up to 6 banks at IAD. May not have happened anyways.

They added the morning bank a couple of weeks ago. The afternoon bank has really been rocking most days though, especially since weather on the arrivals has gotten in the way frequently lately. It's at least as much as they'd run on a normal afternoon bank, minus most of the international side. My understanding is that they're going to hold at two banks for the time being though. It's seriously dead outside of those two banks. Feast or famine.

jplatts

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:34 am

N292UX wrote:

There are some more domestic nonstop routes such as IAD-BHM/CRW/CHA/DSM/XNA/JAN/EYW/LAN/LIT/MEM/MKE that could be added by UA out of IAD.

In addition, I had also previously mentioned UA adding some more domestic nonstop routes out of IAD as a possibility if AA does lose slots at DCA.

N292UX

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:36 am

jplatts wrote:
N292UX wrote:

There are some more domestic nonstop routes such as IAD-BHM/CRW/CHA/DSM/XNA/JAN/EYW/LAN/LIT/MEM/MKE that could be added by UA out of IAD.

In addition, I had also previously mentioned UA adding some more domestic nonstop routes out of IAD as a possibility if AA does lose slots at DCA.

They recently cut IAD-CRW/CHA. When things improve, I could definitely most of those getting added at some point. I wouldn't be shocked if EWR-XNA gets moved to IAD. And sort of surprised they don't already fly IAD-MEM-MKE.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:19 am

Any update on what's happening with planned new international flights? LOT has understandably only operated a handful of flights. Swiss was scheduled to start in March and Iberia in May, and now it seems questionable as to whether they will ever start. Were there any other routes scheduled to start that have been postponed/canceled?

Which airlines and routes are unlikely to resume after the pandemic subsides?

Obviously I don't expect these routes to resume anytime soon, but I suppose it's worth speculating. IAD made so much progress in the past couple of years, so it's a shame to see the carpet pulled out from under them — the same could be said for the whole industry.

Here's my list. It's hard to keep up with the "already resumed" list since some flights have been pretty sporatic.

Already resumed, at least partially:
- Air India
- ANA
- Austrian
- British Airways
- Egyptair
- Emirates
- Etihad
- Ethiopian
- Korean Air
- KLM
- LOT Polish
- Qatar
- Royal Air Maroc
- TAP Air Portugal
- Turkish
- UA to LHR, AMS, BRU, FRA, MUC, ZRH and sporadically to a handful of others

Likely to return:
- Aer Lingus
- Aeroflot
- Air China
- Air France
- Avianca
- Copa
- Icelandair
- Lufthansa
- Saudia
- SAS
- Pretty much everything from UA, at least long term

Questionable to return:
- Alitalia (new reentrant to the market)
- Brussels Airlines (financial issues and limited US presence)
- Cathay Pacific (financial and political situation)
- South African Airways (because maybe they're liquidating??)
- Virgin Atlantic (unsure given their financial situation)
- Volaris

Unlikely to return:
-Cabo Verde Airlines

EFA2014

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:53 pm

Per the Dulles website:
Alitalia will resume in November, LOT is in the schedules for November, Swiss and Iberia will begin April 2021.

EFA2014

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:55 pm

USAirALB

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:19 pm

As much as I want CX to return for personal reasons, I highly doubt that they will.

From my understanding the flight was struggling from the get-go and was quickly down-gauged from the A35K to A359. Loads were horrible and I've heard reports that some flights went out with essentially no one seated in Y.

I was scheduled to fly it in March and it was one of the first US routes to be dropped (along with EWR IIRC) because of COVID.

Honestly, I don't get why DC's Asian service is so bad. CX has made BOS work for years, and BOS also has service to PVG. I don't know for certain, but I have heard that UA's PEK flight isn't necessarily a stellar performer.

I get that the DMV doesn't have the strong financial sector background that could drive more Asian flights (particularly to PVG, for example) but given the population of the Baltimore-Washington metro area (soon to become the third largest, surpassing Chicagoland) you would think it would support more flights. I know everyone always claims that BOS's China flights were strong supporters because of the mass amount of Mainland students at local institutions, and while Georgetown/GW/AU aren't MIT or Harvard, I still think it would pack somewhat of a punch.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

blockski

Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:26 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
Any update on what's happening with planned new international flights? LOT has understandably only operated a handful of flights. Swiss was scheduled to start in March and Iberia in May, and now it seems questionable as to whether they will ever start. Were there any other routes scheduled to start that have been postponed/canceled?

Obviously I don't expect these routes to resume anytime soon, but I suppose it's worth speculating. IAD made so much progress in the past couple of years, so it's a shame to see the carpet pulled out from under them — the same could be said for the whole industry.

Here's my list. It's hard to keep up with the "already resumed" list since some flights have been pretty sporatic.

- Air India
- ANA
- Austrian
- British Airways
- Egyptair
- Emirates
- Etihad
- Ethiopian
- Korean Air
- KLM
- LOT Polish
- Qatar
- Royal Air Maroc
- TAP Air Portugal
- Turkish

Likely to return:
- Aer Lingus
- Aeroflot
- Air China
- Air France
- Avianca
- Copa
- Icelandair
- Lufthansa
- Saudia
- SAS

Questionable to return:
- Volaris

Unlikely to return:
-Cabo Verde Airlines

I had a chance to go to the recently re-opened Udvar Hazy Center, and while leaving, saw a Saudia 777 on approach.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:34 pm

blockski wrote:
I had a chance to go to the recently re-opened Udvar Hazy Center, and while leaving, saw a Saudia 777 on approach.

Thanks. I thought I had seen them run some flights, but I wasn't 100% sure. It's hard to keep up when some service is so infrequent or irregular.

mah584jr

Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:44 pm

A few articles of interest:

Saw that Dulles is adding a new area for shared ride pick ups

https://airport-world.com/washington-du ... -pick-ups/

Also, I noticed Dulles closed down Runway 1R/19L until September 3rd. Does anyone know the reason why?

https://theexplorerblog.com/washington- ... tember.php

Finally, saw that WMATA has potential funding issues going forward which may further delay the Silver Line Extension

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/0 ... r-a13.html

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:05 pm

mah584jr wrote:
A few articles of interest:

Saw that Dulles is adding a new area for shared ride pick ups

https://airport-world.com/washington-du ... -pick-ups/

Also, I noticed Dulles closed down Runway 1R/19L until September 3rd. Does anyone know the reason why?

https://theexplorerblog.com/washington- ... tember.php

Finally, saw that WMATA has potential funding issues going forward which may further delay the Silver Line Extension

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/0 ... r-a13.html

I'm not sure why, but the FAA advisory plan says the runway is scheduled to be closed until 08/25/2020 0959Z. For a two week closure, my guess would be resurfacing? I guess it explains why Potomac has been requesting 15-20 miles in trail on arrivals during the afternoon push.

winstonavgeek

Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:48 am

atcsundevil wrote:

- Air India
- ANA
- Austrian
- British Airways
- Egyptair
- Emirates
- Etihad
- Ethiopian
- Korean Air
- KLM
- LOT Polish
- Qatar
- Royal Air Maroc
- TAP Air Portugal
- Turkish

Likely to return:
- Aer Lingus
- Aeroflot
- Air China
- Air France
- Avianca
- Copa
- Icelandair
- Lufthansa
- Saudia
- SAS

Questionable to return:
- Volaris

Unlikely to return:
-Cabo Verde Airlines

To my current understanding, Air India's service is currently just repatriation flights. Also, looks like Morroco has a travel ban until September, but I see that there looks to be around 1x weekly flights which could be repatriation. Cabo Verde definitely won't return, the carrier stopped serving the aircraft even before COVID-19. The loads look terrible on the route. Cathay Pacific seems like the second most likely to be gone because of the rumored terrible performance on the route, not to mention their current conservative approach to resuming flights.

UALFAson

Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:04 pm

USAirALB wrote:
I get that the DMV doesn't have the strong financial sector background that could drive more Asian flights (particularly to PVG, for example) but given the population of the Baltimore-Washington metro area (soon to become the third largest, surpassing Chicagoland) you would think it would support more flights.

As a native Arlingtonian, I totally get what you are saying. That said, I think it's just easier for U.S. airlines to route the smaller number of D.C.-Asia passengers to ORD, DTW, or even JFK/EWR and let them take advantage of the more numerous nonstop flights (that were) from there.

For people in D.C./Arl/Alex, I would argue it's almost easier, if not just as easy, to take a quick Uber/Metro ride to DCA, make the short flight to one of those cities, then connect to Asia from there than it is to schlep all the way out to IAD. And if you're a Oneworld or Sky Team member, you will have more options from those cities than the Star Alliance "fortress" of IAD.

USAirALB

Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:36 pm

UALFAson wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
I get that the DMV doesn't have the strong financial sector background that could drive more Asian flights (particularly to PVG, for example) but given the population of the Baltimore-Washington metro area (soon to become the third largest, surpassing Chicagoland) you would think it would support more flights.

As a native Arlingtonian, I totally get what you are saying. That said, I think it's just easier for U.S. airlines to route the smaller number of D.C.-Asia passengers to ORD, DTW, or even JFK/EWR and let them take advantage of the more numerous nonstop flights (that were) from there.

For people in D.C./Arl/Alex, I would argue it's almost easier, if not just as easy, to take a quick Uber/Metro ride to DCA, make the short flight to one of those cities, then connect to Asia from there than it is to schlep all the way out to IAD. And if you're a Oneworld or Sky Team member, you will have more options from those cities than the Star Alliance "fortress" of IAD.

To each their own, I guess.

While I hear what you are saying, me personally, I would much rather fly SIN-HKG-IAD than doing SIN-SFO-DCA. It's so nice to get off a long haul flight and just go right to your bed. Last year I was due to fly HKG-IAD nonstop but it got canceled so I ended up having to do HKG-LAX-DCA and the LAX-DCA leg was just miserable. I felt gross and while I love flying, I just didn't want to be around people anymore.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

USAirALB

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:29 pm

It appears that LX may have canned their planned relaunch next year.

DCA350

Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:54 pm

Driving out by IAD and just saw what I'm pretty sure was a BA A350K. I wasn't aware IAD was on the A350K list of destinations for BA. Was this a one off or it's now a regular on the route?

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:59 pm

DCA350 wrote:
Driving out by IAD and just saw what I'm pretty sure was a BA A350K. I wasn't aware IAD was on the A350K list of destinations for BA. Was this a one off or it's now a regular on the route?

They've been using a daily A35K for a few months now. I suspect it will become a regular with the retirement of the 744.

DCA350

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:05 am

atcsundevil wrote:
DCA350 wrote:

They've been using a daily A35K for a few months now. I suspect it will become a regular with the retirement of the 744.

Thanks, haven't been out that way in a few months. With the retirement of the 744 and demand not there at the moment for the A380, I suspect a mix of A350s and 787s will run the route for the foreseeable future. Maybe even catch a 787-10 on a rotation.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:17 am

DCA350 wrote:
Thanks, haven't been out that way in a few months. With the retirement of the 744 and demand not there at the moment for the A380, I suspect a mix of A350s and 787s will run the route for the foreseeable future. Maybe even catch a 787-10 on a rotation.

Indeed. I think that long term the A35K may or may not stick around — it does have their new premium product, but it lacks F, and given that IAD is one of their higher yielding US destinations, I would anticipate their wanting to continue to offer an F product here. Although who knows how things will shake out after the global travel economy begins to recover. It seems like all conventional wisdom could be tossed out of the window at this point.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos