Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AZLiam

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:41 pm

cathay747 wrote:
AZLiam wrote:
cm642 wrote:
It's already started in the "AS to join OneWorld / AA to make SEA an Intl gateway" thread, if AA and AS merge down the road that means SEA becomes a hub then PHX becomes redundant and will be the first to go blah, blah, blah. Of course I fully expect Delta to retaliate for this one!

I would love to see Delta retaliate by opening up an international route in PHX to either South America or Asia. That would be a great FU to AA since they treat PHX like a red-headed stepchild.

DL isn't going to start any int'l. routes out of PHX, and AA doesn't treat PHX like a red-headed stepchild. Any DL retaliation/counter-move to this AA/AS deal will come at SEA itself (DL building it up even more than they've already done) or at MIA with their new LATAM partnership.

Losing our hometown airline and headquarters didn't endear me to AA, but just added to my disdain. Perhaps, I just have an axe to grind with them from years ago that I never got over due to their continued lousy "customer service" and superior attitude at DFW. My Mom used to work for AA. We were flying non-rev years ago from DFW to ORD and upgraded to first class. One of their lousy gate agents (I have worse names for him - drama queen being one of them) basically pulled us out of first class simply because I was wearing a pair of $300 Versace pants that he thought were jeans (they weren't jeans, didn't look or feel like jeans). It was entirely an embarrassing situation that I subsequently reported to AA once we landed in ORD.

chrisair

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:47 pm

alasizon wrote:
The only talk has been about WN releasing some of their gates in S4 (C11-C19) since their utilization is already low but WN has wanted to hold onto the gates and the City has had some second thoughts from my understanding since by WN having all 32 gates on the south side there is no room for AA expansion or further INTL carriers

The high C gates don’t seem to be underutilized to me. Every time I come home from a four or five day trip, our plane parks at C17-C19. I swear someone at WN operations is messing with me.

atcsundevil wrote:
It's possible that not everyone on board was headed to YUM.

Does YUM have FIS capabilities?

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:19 pm

chrisair wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
It's possible that not everyone on board was headed to YUM.

Does YUM have FIS capabilities?

They do, but I'm assuming it would take quite a while to process a large aircraft.

alasizon

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:31 am

chrisair wrote:
alasizon wrote:
The only talk has been about WN releasing some of their gates in S4 (C11-C19) since their utilization is already low but WN has wanted to hold onto the gates and the City has had some second thoughts from my understanding since by WN having all 32 gates on the south side there is no room for AA expansion or further INTL carriers

The high C gates don’t seem to be underutilized to me. Every time I come home from a four or five day trip, our plane parks at C17-C19. I swear someone at WN operations is messing with me.

Not high C specifically, more so their utilization overall. WN can manage to close at least two gates on each concourse for most of the day other than their late PM push and early originators. That would be the same as AA being able to close down 3-4 gates per concourse which just doesn't really happen.

WN could afford to add the eight gates and then give up four of the old gates and still accomplish their expansion plans. Unfortunately the city really shoehorned themselves into having to do a rapid expansion again in about two years when they need more space on the north side.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

cathay747

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:30 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
cm642 wrote:
It's already started in the "AS to join OneWorld / AA to make SEA an Intl gateway" thread, if AA and AS merge down the road that means SEA becomes a hub then PHX becomes redundant and will be the first to go blah, blah, blah. Of course I fully expect Delta to retaliate for this one!

Yeah, and Phoenix was supposed to be dehubbed by now after the merger according to the experts on this website.

The vast majority of the people here have no clue what they're talking about. I try to stick to threads like this one where I know informed people will be participating.

I couldn't agree with you more.
Try a Little VC-10derness

cathay747

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:34 pm

AZLiam wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
AZLiam wrote:

I would love to see Delta retaliate by opening up an international route in PHX to either South America or Asia. That would be a great FU to AA since they treat PHX like a red-headed stepchild.

DL isn't going to start any int'l. routes out of PHX, and AA doesn't treat PHX like a red-headed stepchild. Any DL retaliation/counter-move to this AA/AS deal will come at SEA itself (DL building it up even more than they've already done) or at MIA with their new LATAM partnership.

Losing our hometown airline and headquarters didn't endear me to AA, but just added to my disdain. Perhaps, I just have an axe to grind with them from years ago that I never got over due to their continued lousy "customer service" and superior attitude at DFW. My Mom used to work for AA. We were flying non-rev years ago from DFW to ORD and upgraded to first class. One of their lousy gate agents (I have worse names for him - drama queen being one of them) basically pulled us out of first class simply because I was wearing a pair of $300 Versace pants that he thought were jeans (they weren't jeans, didn't look or feel like jeans). It was entirely an embarrassing situation that I subsequently reported to AA once we landed in ORD.

Ah, well...things like that happen in mergers, and it was inconceivable that AA's HQ would have wound up anywhere other than DFW. At least they didn't close down the PHX hub as happened to other hubs in other mergers (like MEM, CVG, etc.). I can empathize with your axe to grind based on the experience you relate, that was ridiculous...I remember those dress codes from when I used to non-rev (my dad worked for KE) and it was just nonsensical...non-rev's were not supposed to discuss their status with revenue pax, yet you could easily pick out all the non-rev's based on how they were dressed! Crazy.

TUSPHX

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Looks like BA289 stopped in KEF anybody know why?
“The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I’d rather fly.” — Len Morgan

Ishrion

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:21 pm

TUSPHX wrote:
Looks like BA289 stopped in KEF anybody know why?

Medical

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomPodolec/s ... 8437695489

cle757

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:07 am

Starting March 29th UA starting 777 service phx to Iah, this is a result of reduced China flying.
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

BA744PHX

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:23 am

cle757 wrote:
Starting March 29th UA starting 777 service phx to Iah, this is a result of reduced China flying.

I dont see anything on united or google, where are you seeing this?

cle757

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:29 am

It will be released tomorrow
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

BMIMSNPHX

Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:56 pm

New home airport: BMIMSNPHXDFW

alasizon

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:02 pm

MrPeanut

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:45 pm

alasizon wrote:

If the rendering in the article is accurate, it would be approximately in the same location as the current tower.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:31 pm

BMIMSNPHX wrote:

This was announced a while back, but I guess the funding is official now. It's long overdue — the current tower is at least 20 years past its useful service life.

If that rendering actually represents their plans for the tower, I'm a little confused by all of the space on the floors beneath the cab. It will never host a radar facility, and it would be a lot cheaper to build break rooms and offices at ground level. It seems to me like they would be better off spending the money to create the style of raised cab used at PHX and LAS, but I'm not a tower guy, so what do I know?

hz747300

Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:17 am

If PHX is de-hubbed because of AS/AA why would DL pick that up? SLC is closer to PHX than SEA and about as evenly placed, unless PHX is built up at the expense of SLC. I think SEA is so far west and north that it would have almost no impact on PHX. Both cities are pretty well served by the primary airlines and not at the expense of the other.

PHX is quite a large city and metro area, if AA dehubs it would create an opportunity for another airline to serve that base. I won't speculate on who that could be, because I don't see AA de-hubbing PHX anytime soon.
Keep on truckin'...

PhilMcCrackin

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:30 am

AA isn't dehubbing shit. Enough with this nonsense.

cathay747

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:01 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:

THANK YOU for speaking the unvarnished truth!! LOL

wn676

Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:27 pm

cle757 wrote:

The schedule load will occur over the weekend, although if you have access to seat availability it’s pretty easy to see where the upgauge will be.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

PhilMcCrackin

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:50 pm

cathay747 wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:

It makes zero sense. The economy is booming, the PHX area is gaining 90k+ new residents every year, KPHX has had steady gains in passenger growth the past few years, AA itself has made several key additions as of late, not the least of which is a flight to LHR on their own metal and other widebody upgauges to domestic flights.

In light of that, why would AA close up shop? What would happen to all of those resources when you cancel PHX’s 300+ flights/day? Airplanes, real estate, employees, etc - they all have to go somewhere.

For the sake of conversation, let’s assume AA and AS merge, which won’t happen. Why would you shut down a healthy PHX hub? What’s the impetus for that?

Again, makes zero sense.

cathay747

Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:48 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:

It makes zero sense. The economy is booming, the PHX area is gaining 90k+ new residents every year, KPHX has had steady gains in passenger growth the past few years, AA itself has made several key additions as of late, not the least of which is a flight to LHR on their own metal and other widebody upgauges to domestic flights.

In light of that, why would AA close up shop? What would happen to all of those resources when you cancel PHX’s 300+ flights/day? Airplanes, real estate, employees, etc - they all have to go somewhere.

For the sake of conversation, let’s assume AA and AS merge, which won’t happen. Why would you shut down a healthy PHX hub? What’s the impetus for that?

Again, makes zero sense.

I agree with you again, but only 99%...never say never about a merger of AS into AA! Never is an awfully long time. Frankly, I could see it POSSIBLY happen at some point.

MrMD11

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:59 am

cle757 wrote:

Still not seeing it. You sure that United is bringing in the 777 next month?

alasizon

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:07 am

MrMD11 wrote:
cle757 wrote:

Still not seeing it. You sure that United is bringing in the 777 next month?

Looking on 4/12, I show UA 1298 IAH-PHX and UA 2325 PHX-IAH is loaded as a 772.

1253 arrival into PHX
1410 departure to IAH

SierraPacific

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:15 am

Will the new tower coincide with Gateway moving from contract controllers to FAA controllers?

The amount of growth in the past 10 years has been astounding.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:03 am

SierraPacific wrote:
Will the new tower coincide with Gateway moving from contract controllers to FAA controllers?

To my knowledge, no process exists to convert a FCT to FAA, and it has never been done before. Certainly if ever there was a case for it, IWA would be it, but money and politics absolutely stand in the way. At some point, the airport will need 24 hour staffing and greater FAA oversight. There are also a lot of significant issues with many busy contract towers, like poor staffing and high turnover. At some point, the Agency will need to seriously consider taking the tower back, but there are officially no plans to do so. Having a modern facility is a good start though.

Furthermore, there is an increasing need to reclassify the airspace from a Delta (Echo when the tower is closed) to a Charlie. The airspace is more than busy enough. The problem though, as with any major airspace change, is the resistance from AOPA and inevitable lawsuits. In this case, the public necessity exists, in my opinion. IWA and the surrounding airspace is simply too busy to allow for nonparticipating aircraft. They've already dealt with a disproportionate number of TCAS RAs over the years (for a while, Allegiant had more RAs at IWA than any other airport they served), and it's going to be an increasing safety risk as traffic numbers rise. But that's just my opinion.

cathay747

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:13 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

To my knowledge, no process exists to convert a FCT to FAA, and it has never been done before. Certainly if ever there was a case for it, IWA would be it, but money and politics absolutely stand in the way. At some point, the airport will need 24 hour staffing and greater FAA oversight. There are also a lot of significant issues with many busy contract towers, like poor staffing and high turnover. At some point, the Agency will need to seriously consider taking the tower back, but there are officially no plans to do so. Having a modern facility is a good start though.

Furthermore, there is an increasing need to reclassify the airspace from a Delta (Echo when the tower is closed) to a Charlie. The airspace is more than busy enough. The problem though, as with any major airspace change, is the resistance from AOPA and inevitable lawsuits. In this case, the public necessity exists, in my opinion. IWA and the surrounding airspace is simply too busy to allow for nonparticipating aircraft. They've already dealt with a disproportionate number of TCAS RAs over the years (for a while, Allegiant had more RAs at IWA than any other airport they served), and it's going to be an increasing safety risk as traffic numbers rise. But that's just my opinion.

Sounds as if AOPA is as bad as the NRA! Jeez. And pardon the ignorance, but what's a "RA"? Since you're speaking of TCAS if you'd said "TA" I'd have guessed "traffic alert" but "RA"?

cathay747

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:14 pm

Just updated today on Routes Online regarding BA equip. here at PHX:

London Heathrow – Phoenix 777-300ER replaces 747-400 during following period: 25APR20 – 22JUN20, 30JUN20 – 04JUL20, 09JUL20 – 24AUG20, 17OCT20 – 24OCT20 (Additional dates now scheduled with 777 instead of 747, previously not reported)

MO11

Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:14 pm

cathay747 wrote:
Sounds as if AOPA is as bad as the NRA! Jeez. And pardon the ignorance, but what's a "RA"? Since you're speaking of TCAS if you'd said "TA" I'd have guessed "traffic alert" but "RA"?

Resolution Advisory. A TA advises you that there is traffic ("Traffic, Traffic"). An RA advises you to climb or descend.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:53 pm

MO11 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

Resolution Advisory. A TA advises you that there is traffic ("Traffic, Traffic"). An RA advises you to climb or descend.

This. RAs can sometimes require evasive maneuvers, and can sometimes result in injury to passengers and/or crew. Because of that, the events are reported and tracked to see if an unsafe condition exists.

SierraPacific

Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:59 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

It's great to hear your background on this and I completely agree that it needs to be reclassified to a Charlie. Especially with the runway closure of the past months, I have avoided taking my students anywhere near Gateway because of the unnecessary risk it poses to us and bigger operators.

Between the stack, Gateway, and Deer Valley, flight training here always has you on the lookout :lol:

Ishrion

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:33 pm

Phoenix is receiving some widebodies from Delta:

Atlanta – Phoenix: Up to three-times daily on A330-300s, 767-300ERs and 767-400ERs from March 11-April 9
Detroit – Phoenix: Daily on a 767-300ER from March 12-March 31

https://thepointsguy.com/news/where-us- ... spensions/

ericm2031

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:39 pm

cathay747 wrote:

London Heathrow – Phoenix 777-300ER replaces 747-400 during following period: 25APR20 – 22JUN20, 30JUN20 – 04JUL20, 09JUL20 – 24AUG20, 17OCT20 – 24OCT20 (Additional dates now scheduled with 777 instead of 747, previously not reported)

Any performance restrictions expected with the PHX heat in the summer and the 777?

Osubuckeyes

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:44 am

ericm2031 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

Any performance restrictions expected with the PHX heat in the summer and the 777?

There shouldn't be, the flight departs after 7pm which is well past the hottest part of the day... The 772 that BA used to run didn't have any restrictions if I recall correctly.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:48 am

ericm2031 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

The GE90-115B is the most powerful turbofan engine in the world — it should be just fine on an 11,000ft runway!

kearnet

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:32 am

cathay747 wrote:

Starting to sweat a little bit here! I got 62A booked for the June 26th my first and probably only flight on a 747.

Talk about threading the eye of the needle!!!
C402 9K | B1900D US | ATR72 AA | DHC8 US | CRJ2 US | E175 UA | E190 B6 | D93 US | M88 US/AA | 732 US | 733 US/WN | 734 US | 73G WN | B738 FJ/QF | B752 US/AA | B762 DL | B77W EK | F28 US | F100 US | A319 US | A320 B6 | A332 FJ | A380 EK

LeftcoastB6

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:12 am

Does the 787 fly to Sky Harbor still? I know last year AA had one between PHX and ORD for a couple of months and I haven’t been keeping track. Thanks!

alasizon

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:17 am

LeftcoastB6 wrote:
Does the 787 fly to Sky Harbor still? I know last year AA had one between PHX and ORD for a couple of months and I haven’t been keeping track. Thanks!

Not routinely scheduled currently but it drops in every now and again as an equipment sub. Come Nov/Dec, it'll be back.

PhilMcCrackin

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:24 am

atcsundevil wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

The GE90-115B is the most powerful turbofan engine in the world — it should be just fine on an 11,000ft runway!

Yeah, the 77W is a beast. Even with our oven like summer temps, the 77W should have plenty of performance in reserve on PHX-LHR.

PhilMcCrackin

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:26 am

LeftcoastB6 wrote:

BA flies the 787-9 daily.

cathay747

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:53 pm

kearnet wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

Starting to sweat a little bit here! I got 62A booked for the June 26th my first and probably only flight on a 747.

Talk about threading the eye of the needle!!!

Yeah, really! I hope you don't get screwed out of it!!

cathay747

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:54 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

Yeah, the 77W is a beast. Even with our oven like summer temps, the 77W should have plenty of performance in reserve on PHX-LHR.

I bet the beast is off the field in 8000ft. or less!

ericm2031

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:39 pm

LeftcoastB6 wrote:

I see it on PHX-ORD starting April 10th. Could be a Coronavirus spare

Osubuckeyes

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:55 pm

Looks like F9 is adding PHX-LAX/SJC... Checking in May looks like PHX-SJC leaves at 715am arriving around 9am, return leaves around 945am arriving about noon. LAX-PHX-LAX arrives around 5pm leaves around 6pm. F9 brings their destination total to 17 (seemed high to me).

skyharborshome

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:49 pm

Has anyone been following the Avatar Airlines attempt to get off the ground? I saw one graphic that showed they would be running 747s between PHX and LAX, LAS and DFW. I know this has been tried in the past with little success. Still they have gone as far to discuss terms with Boeing. What is the over/under on this ever seeing the light of day?
Fly CHD!

skyharborshome

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:51 pm

Looks like DL is ramping up wide-bodies later than normal. A330s and 767s to Atlanta March 11 - April 9 and 763s to Detroit March 12 - March 31. I will ask the obligatory "China diversions?" question. I missed having the A330 this year to ATL over Christmas. Too bad I have no travel the next couple of months.
Fly CHD!

alasizon

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:00 pm

skyharborshome wrote:
Has anyone been following the Avatar Airlines attempt to get off the ground? I saw one graphic that showed they would be running 747s between PHX and LAX, LAS and DFW. I know this has been tried in the past with little success. Still they have gone as far to discuss terms with Boeing. What is the over/under on this ever seeing the light of day?

Never going to happen.

Osubuckeyes wrote:
Looks like F9 is adding PHX-LAX/SJC... Checking in May looks like PHX-SJC leaves at 715am arriving around 9am, return leaves around 945am arriving about noon. LAX-PHX-LAX arrives around 5pm leaves around 6pm. F9 brings their destination total to 17 (seemed high to me).

Since half-ish of the destinations aren't daily or year round, they only have 8-10 flights per day most days. SJC timings are good for the local markets on both ends, should be interesting to see how that goes.

travaz

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:02 pm

skyharborshome wrote:

There is Zero chance that this gets off the ground. There is a thread that explains everything.

Avatar Airlines (formerly Family Airlines) start up tries again

Link Here:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopi ... #p22030247

Add link

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:05 pm

travaz wrote:
skyharborshome wrote:

There is Zero chance that this gets off the ground. There is a thread that explains everything.

Avatar Airlines (formerly Family Airlines) start up tries again

Link Here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1435305&p=22030247&hilit=Avatar+Airlines+formerly+Family+Airlines+start+up+tries+again#p22030247

Add link

Just wait till their merger with Baltia, then they'll really get going. They can codeshare with Global Ghana Airways.

Osubuckeyes wrote:

I'm not terribly confident that these new adds will last for all that long, not without increased frequency. Those are both highly competitive markets going against near hourly frequencies from established competitors. One daily flight to each isn't going to do much for them, but I guess we'll see.

skyharborshome

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:53 am

Is it common for the approach to the south runways to overfly the airport and do an extended right 270? I honestly have never noticed this before. Makes sense however it is just not something I have observed. Maybe due to a runway change or just a traffic flow solution?
Fly CHD!

MO11

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:27 am

skyharborshome wrote:
Is it common for the approach to the south runways to overfly the airport and do an extended right 270? I honestly have never noticed this before. Makes sense however it is just not something I have observed. Maybe due to a runway change or just a traffic flow solution?

You could do that for a runway change. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise since a "270" would send you the wrong way. More typically from the northeast, over the top for right traffic 7R; less typical from the northwest, but doable.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos