cm642

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:38 pm

Sky Harbor will try and recoup the costs somehow, I remember reading somewhere that airport officials are considering installing toll plazas (similar to DFW) at both entrances of the airport to cut down on cut through traffic between the 10 and 202 which they say clogs roadways and terminals.

alasizon

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:43 pm

chrisair wrote:
alasizon wrote:
I'm not sure that $4 per way is a reasonable fee for the services and infrastructure they are using.

Aside from the people in yellow vests that stand around doing nothing, what additional infrastructure are ride sharing companies using that taxis are not?

Why not make rental car customers pay fees for using the Sky Train? I mean, after all, they're the ones benefitting from it. We pay for it when we use the parking lots.

Other than the 44th Street waiting lot (and the associated trash cans/collection), they aren't and that is partially my point. Eventually they will all use the West ground trans station at 24th street once it is constructed but we aren't there yet. Do Uber/Lyft drivers have to pay for a ground transportation badge like taxi and shuttle drivers do?

Rental car customers already pay fees that help cover the cost of the rental car center and I believe the "energy recovery fee" currently goes towards the use and upkeep of the buses so that money will in theory go towards Sky Train maintenance once it runs to the rental car center.

Concession Recovery Fee (11.11%)
Customer Facility Fee - 6.00/day
Energy Recovery Fee - 0.60/day
Maricopa County Surcharge-3.25%
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

cathay747

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:28 pm

alasizon wrote:
chrisair wrote:
alasizon wrote:
I'm not sure that $4 per way is a reasonable fee for the services and infrastructure they are using.

Aside from the people in yellow vests that stand around doing nothing, what additional infrastructure are ride sharing companies using that taxis are not?

Why not make rental car customers pay fees for using the Sky Train? I mean, after all, they're the ones benefitting from it. We pay for it when we use the parking lots.

Rental car customers already pay fees that help cover the cost of the rental car center and I believe the "energy recovery fee" currently goes towards the use and upkeep of the buses so that money will in theory go towards Sky Train maintenance once it runs to the rental car center.

Concession Recovery Fee (11.11%)
Customer Facility Fee - 6.00/day
Energy Recovery Fee - 0.60/day
Maricopa County Surcharge-3.25%

Exactly...at any airport where you rent a car, look at all the fees on your rate quote/rental agreement that are tacked on...it's usually a lot!
Try a Little VC-10derness

paulsaz

Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:24 am

T3N is all lit up at night, shouldn't be much longer.

MO11

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:00 pm

cathay747 wrote:

Exactly...at any airport where you rent a car, look at all the fees on your rate quote/rental agreement that are tacked on...it's usually a lot!

Maricopa County Surcharge is for the Glendale Stadium. Gotta put someone on the hook for that.

wetpantsmcgee

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:22 am

paulsaz wrote:
T3N is all lit up at night, shouldn't be much longer.

Doesn't feel that way, the new concession area mid-concourse is nowhere near completion.

paulsaz

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:20 am

AZLiam

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:04 am

City wants businesses to pitch in so Phoenix can get a direct flight to Asia
Mayor Gallego’s goal is to fly nonstop from Phoenix to Tokyo before she runs for re-election

City and airport officials have made it a goal to land a direct flight from Phoenix to a major city in Asia during the next few years, but they are asking the business community for help.

During the past two years, Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport has significantly increased its number of overseas flights, with three airlines – American Airlines, Condor Airlines and Eurowings – adding nonstop service to London and Frankfurt. There also have been increased direct flights to Canada and Mexico. But adding a nonstop flight to Asia is still the dream for the city leaders.

“Gaining more international flights is about more than ease of travel,” said Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego. “They are an indicator of economic growth and opportunity in a community.”

Gallego, who took office in March 2019, has made it a goal to get a direct flight from Phoenix to Asia, specifically Tokyo, by the end of her first term.

Right now, the destination most likely for a direct flight is Tokyo. That is because American Airlines (Nasdaq: AAL), the largest carrier at Sky Harbor, has a code sharing, revenue sharing and route planning agreement with Japan Airlines Co., said Phoenix’s Assistant Aviation Director Deborah Ostreicher.

“Phoenix has a respectable number of passengers coming and going from Tokyo,” Gallego said. “Our job as a community is to prove to the airlines that we can support new international air service – that it’s worth their investment.”

Phoenix is by far the biggest city in the Western U.S. without a direct flight to Asia. While some in the Valley see this as a snub, the truth is airlines don’t view Phoenix as an economically viable option.

More...

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2020/01/15/city-wants-businesses-to-pitch-in-so-phoenix-can.html?iana=hpmvp_phx_news_headline

BA744PHX

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:06 am

AZLiam wrote:
Mayor Gallego’s goal is to fly nonstop from Phoenix to Tokyo before she runs for re-election

City and airport officials have made it a goal to land a direct flight from Phoenix to a major city in Asia during the next few years, but they are asking the business community for help.

During the past two years, Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport has significantly increased its number of overseas flights, with three airlines – American Airlines, Condor Airlines and Eurowings – adding nonstop service to London and Frankfurt. There also have been increased direct flights to Canada and Mexico. But adding a nonstop flight to Asia is still the dream for the city leaders.

“Gaining more international flights is about more than ease of travel,” said Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego. “They are an indicator of economic growth and opportunity in a community.”

Gallego, who took office in March 2019, has made it a goal to get a direct flight from Phoenix to Asia, specifically Tokyo, by the end of her first term.

Right now, the destination most likely for a direct flight is Tokyo. That is because American Airlines (Nasdaq: AAL), the largest carrier at Sky Harbor, has a code sharing, revenue sharing and route planning agreement with Japan Airlines Co., said Phoenix’s Assistant Aviation Director Deborah Ostreicher.

“Phoenix has a respectable number of passengers coming and going from Tokyo,” Gallego said. “Our job as a community is to prove to the airlines that we can support new international air service – that it’s worth their investment.”

Phoenix is by far the biggest city in the Western U.S. without a direct flight to Asia. While some in the Valley see this as a snub, the truth is airlines don’t view Phoenix as an economically viable option.

More...

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2020/01/15/city-wants-businesses-to-pitch-in-so-phoenix-can.html?iana=hpmvp_phx_news_headline

I'm surprised how low DFW O&D at 76 daily passengers with 3 daily flights, just wow
UA Gold 2020
Upcoming flights
UA EWR-BCN/MAD, FR BCN-MAK, IB MAK-MAD - January
UA EWR-LHR, EWR-YYZ - February

Elementalism

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:10 am

skyharborshome wrote:
I know in the 2019 thread, there was discussion of Uber and Lyft leaving. If that happens, use of the 44th Street station will NOT be permitted. I know this because it has been made very clear that it is airport property. When the precious spat occurred, I took SkyTrain to the station and ordered an Uber. As soon as the car showed up, this guy in a safety vest who could not be older than 21 showed up with a ticket in hand. The driver saw the ticket, slammed the trunk, said "sorry man" and left. I entered a spirited debate about how the station should be considered city and not airport property. Not much of a leg to stand on however I tried. So of course I ended up going back in the station, crossed the bridge, crossed 44th Street and the same driver ended up picking me up at Circle K. I really hope they resolve this or a lot of visitors are going to get a rude greeting to the Valley.

I just heard about this today. Arrived for business in PHX. This is utterly ridiculous pushing Lyft and Uber out there and requiring travelers pay for a train to get to them. This is the type of crap that will turn off business and pleasure travelers from the area. It sends a nice middle finger to them when they realize how difficult it is to get a Lyft or Uber.

I heard there is a lawsuit that may block this idiocy? If not I hope the city council who voted this in gets voted out in November.

AZLiam

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:14 am

BA744PHX wrote:
I'm surprised how low DFW O&D at 76 daily passengers with 3 daily flights, just wow

I saw that too and was quite surprised. Must be funneling a lot of people from elsewhere through Dallas. Also, Amsterdam stood out to me as well. 55 daily from Phoenix and only 56 from Dallas (Seasonal on American).
Last edited by AZLiam on Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elementalism

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:15 am

chrisair wrote:
alasizon wrote:

From what I saw today. Lyft and Uber are actually carrying people while the taxis are lined up three deep :D

BA744PHX

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:34 am

AZLiam wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

I saw that too and was quite surprised. Must be funneling a lot of people from elsewhere through Dallas. Also, Amsterdam stood out to me as well. 55 daily from Phoenix and only 56 from Dallas (Seasonal on American).

Where did you get the AMS data?
UA Gold 2020
Upcoming flights
UA EWR-BCN/MAD, FR BCN-MAK, IB MAK-MAD - January
UA EWR-LHR, EWR-YYZ - February

Ishrion

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:36 am

AZLiam wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

Definitely connecting. There's two morning flights from DFW-NRT on AA/JL. The passengers arriving from LIM/GRU/EZE/SCL and more can connect onto those flights or take AA's other Asian flights.

Additionally, people are using JL's flights to connect in NRT.

93Sierra

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:49 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjou ... r.amp.html

Gateways doing pretty well and passing some airports across the country that have respective numbers.

AZLiam

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:12 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
AZLiam wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

Where did you get the AMS data?

Go back to the chart in the article (AMS right below London): https://infogram.com/untitled-1h7j4dxpvxnx2nr

cathay747

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:48 pm

AZLiam wrote:

More...

Yes this is great that the mayor and whomever else are pushing for an Asian nonstop, but then on the other hand they go along with this mess about the ride-shares...that's just great and SO smart..."Tokyo passengers, welcome to Phoenix! Now...walk to your hotel." Great for business traffic, much less leisure. Brilliant.

cathay747

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:50 pm

AZLiam wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

Wow...55 daily PHX-AMS??? That surprises me. Well, that's sure a good indicator then of why BA has done so well out of here over the years, proves the point about beyond-LHR connecting traffic.

kmarwah

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm

I might be in the minority here, but I think that PHX will get a direct flight on an ME3 carrier (realistically either QR or EK since EY is hemorrhaging money right now) before we get a direct flight to East Asia.

The case against a flight to East Asia:
AA/JL have made it clear that a PHX to Tokyo is not a priority right now. When the FAA allowed airlines to apply for new TYO slots last year, AA applied for 2x daily DFW frequencies, 1x daily LAX frequency and 1x LAS frequency. The fact that AA wants to do a daily TYO flight from a non-hub like LAS over PHX is evidence that PHX has a long way to go before getting direct Asia connectivity. That being said, all of those slots were for HND so I suppose there's a chance of AA using one of their NRT slots for PHX, but I'm not holding my breath. Here's an excerpt from an interview with Vasu Raja dated August 2019: "'The West Coast to Asia is so well connected and there's such great connections from Phoenix to all of those markets that it's really tough to see what we can do uniquely out of Phoenix,' Raja said. He quickly notes that things can change, especially as Phoenix grows. However, he points to Latin America as a place that might make more immediate sense for new international flights, because of economic ties to Phoenix and the Southwest."

The case for direct EK or QR service to PHX:
There's a significant Middle Eastern community in PHX, and there are many ASU students of Middle Eastern origin. In fact, the UAE Minister of Economy, Sultan al Mansouri, studied at ASU. A significant number of Middle Easterners also visit Phoenix for medical tourism (Mayo Clinic, Barrow, M.D. Anderson). This demographic is not particularly price sensitive, and would normally be willing to pay a premium for the convenience of a direct flight. There is also a large Indian community in Phoenix. This segment is price sensitive, and they often fly to India on ME3 airlines after a codeshare/alliance flight (B6/AA) to an airport that does have direct service to the Middle East. From their hubs, the ME3 airlines have extensive connectivity within India– QR and EK have direct flights to 13 and 9 cities in India, respectively. Additionally, a lot of traffic on BA's flight to LHR is actually O&D to India. I don't know where to find numbers to back this up, but as someone who flies PHX to LHR ~8 times/year, I can attest to this first hand.

Maverick623

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:11 pm

There will be an open house for T2 on February 4th from 4pm-8:30pm.

https://facebook.com/events/s/farewell- ... 959/?ti=as

Heard from an Alaska employee that they're moving to T3N on the 3rd.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

PhilMcCrackin

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:55 pm

Good riddance to T2.

I don't think a 788 to NRT is that crazy of a proposition, especially with incentives.

wn676

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09 pm

Maverick623 wrote:

Signage should be going up in the next few days.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

chrisair

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:27 am

Maverick623 wrote:

Can we take the artwork off the walls in the basement? I rather enjoy the Coyote Chorus one.

jmc1975

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:04 am

What exactly is going on at the west exit? It’s down to one lane almost entirely to I-10.

alasizon

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:03 pm

jmc1975 wrote:
What exactly is going on at the west exit? It’s down to one lane almost entirely to I-10.

Construction of new on/off ramps to Copperhead. It has to do with the new ground transportation lot being constructed at 24th & Copperhead.

Maverick623

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:43 pm

Signs posted today, Air Canada moving to T3 on Feb 6th. AA rejoices.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

jplatts

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:45 pm

While WN doesn't currently serve any international destinations nonstop from PHX, WN could add nonstop service out of PHX to a few international destinations such as CUN, PVR, SJD, and SJO.

WN's domestic gates at PHX and the international arrivals facility at PHX are both in Terminal 4. Concourse B in Terminal 4 at PHX is already connected to Concourses C and D behind security via a bridge connecting Concourses B and C, allowing WN passengers the ability to connect onto international flights out of Concourse B from WN domestic flights at PHX without having to re-clear security.

It would also be possible for WN to connect passengers onto WN domestic flights from international flights at PHX if WN adds nonstop international flights out of PHX with the international arrivals facility and WN domestic departure gates both being located in Terminal 4.

MrPeanut

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:37 pm

jplatts wrote:
While WN doesn't currently serve any international destinations nonstop from PHX, WN could add nonstop service out of PHX to a few international destinations such as CUN, PVR, SJD, and SJO.

WN's domestic gates at PHX and the international arrivals facility at PHX are both in Terminal 4. Concourse B in Terminal 4 at PHX is already connected to Concourses C and D behind security via a bridge connecting Concourses B and C, allowing WN passengers the ability to connect onto international flights out of Concourse B from WN domestic flights at PHX without having to re-clear security.

It would also be possible for WN to connect passengers onto WN domestic flights from international flights at PHX if WN adds nonstop international flights out of PHX with the international arrivals facility and WN domestic departure gates both being located in Terminal 4.

ok

atomiclizzard

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:14 am

Hi guys, new user here! I wanted to chime in on the Asia situation. Phoenix got screwed when it comes to location lottery. We are wedged between two other AA hubs DFW and LAX. Another problem is the Grand Canyon. If I were a tourist from outside the U.S. I'd rather fly into Vegas due to the GC being more accessible from that destination. Vegas tends to leach off the GC as part of their tourism despite it obviously being in AZ. But since Vegas is much closer it draws people to Vegas. And it is Vegas after all. Much more of an iconic tourist destination compared to Phoenix sadly.

Yeah there are things to do in the Phoenix. But lets be real, compared to Vegas, California and Seattle there is much much less. It just isn't a sexy market.

It just seems silly from an airlines perspective when they can just connect passengers via SFO, LAX, SEA or DFW from Asia to AZ to do a direct flight in this scenario. More costs and so on. I would love to see a direct flight to Asia from here. But I really doubt it will happen anytime soon. SLC will probably get one before we do at the rate they are going with overseas routes. But that's just my thoughts.

Maybe this is the America West curse. hehe Yeah I know Cactus absorbed US Airways and kept the US Airways name for marketability, but still. I miss seeing that America West livery. That was a true home town airline. Sort of the way folks from Seattle view Alaska airlines.

Anyways, just my thought. Glad I could finally voice them on here.

EA CO AS

Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:34 am

Maverick623 wrote:

Close. The official day one at T3N is 2/5; the 40" FIDS screens are in my office waiting for our IT guys to bring them over for installation along with twenty 22" Dell monitors for the agents at the counter and gates.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

alasizon

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:12 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Maverick623 wrote:

Close. The official day one at T3N is 2/5; the 40" FIDS screens are in my office waiting for our IT guys to bring them over for installation along with twenty 22" Dell monitors for the agents at the counter and gates.

I thought everything was going to be common use at all the gates so why would AS have any of their own monitors at the gates?

Official move schedule is out:

4B starts T3 operations on 2/3
UA starts T3 operations on 2/4
AS and LF start T3 operations on 2/5
AC starts T3 operations on 2/6

EA CO AS

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:00 pm

alasizon wrote:
I thought everything was going to be common use at all the gates so why would AS have any of their own monitors at the gates?

You'd have to talk to my IT Field Service guys about that; all I know is we received a shipment of nearly 600 of the 22" Dell monitors for the call center agents, and 20 of them were set aside for T3, along with around 8 of the 40" TVs.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

4holer

Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:45 pm

atomiclizzard wrote:
Hi guys, new user here! I wanted to chime in on the Asia situation. Phoenix got screwed when it comes to location lottery. We are wedged between two other AA hubs DFW and LAX. Another problem is the Grand Canyon. If I were a tourist from outside the U.S. I'd rather fly into Vegas due to the GC being more accessible from that destination. Vegas tends to leach off the GC as part of their tourism despite it obviously being in AZ. But since Vegas is much closer it draws people to Vegas. And it is Vegas after all. Much more of an iconic tourist destination compared to Phoenix sadly.

Yeah there are things to do in the Phoenix. But lets be real, compared to Vegas, California and Seattle there is much much less. It just isn't a sexy market.

It just seems silly from an airlines perspective when they can just connect passengers via SFO, LAX, SEA or DFW from Asia to AZ to do a direct flight in this scenario. More costs and so on. I would love to see a direct flight to Asia from here. But I really doubt it will happen anytime soon. SLC will probably get one before we do at the rate they are going with overseas routes. But that's just my thoughts.

Maybe this is the America West curse. hehe Yeah I know Cactus absorbed US Airways and kept the US Airways name for marketability, but still. I miss seeing that America West livery. That was a true home town airline. Sort of the way folks from Seattle view Alaska airlines.

Anyways, just my thought. Glad I could finally voice them on here.

All well and good, but the fact is that Phoenix is actually closer to the Canyon than Las Vegas. A quick Google maps check shows Vegas to the canyon at 279 miles taking 4:24 and PHX is 229 miles at 3:35 as I type this during morning rush hour. So its even a shorter drive if you detour thru Sedona.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

Osubuckeyes

Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:14 pm

4holer wrote:
All well and good, but the fact is that Phoenix is actually closer to the Canyon than Las Vegas. A quick Google maps check shows Vegas to the canyon at 279 miles taking 4:24 and PHX is 229 miles at 3:35 as I type this during morning rush hour. So its even a shorter drive if you detour thru Sedona.

People going to the canyon from Vegas typically aren't going out to Grand Canyon Village. They are typically going to the Skywalk and Western areas of the canyon, which are about 2-2.5 hours away from LAS

Also, driving through Sedona or Prescott will only save time in rare circumstances.

4holer

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:24 pm

Osubuckeyes wrote:
4holer wrote:

People going to the canyon from Vegas typically aren't going out to Grand Canyon Village. They are typically going to the Skywalk and Western areas of the canyon, which are about 2-2.5 hours away from LAS

Also, driving through Sedona or Prescott will only save time in rare circumstances.

I meant that a scenic Sedona detour would not add additional enough time to equal the Vegas distance.
And as an avid Canyon hiker, I don't consider the Skywalk/ GC West region to be "Grand Canyon". :D
But I know that they get tourists who consider it so. However my image of a GC tourist is that of the hordes of them getting on and off the big tour busses on the South Rim. I won't pretend to know the numbers that go to each location.

atomiclizzard

Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:21 pm

Osubuckeyes wrote:
4holer wrote:

That is very interesting. I did not know that. But I think a lot of people look at a map and see that Vegas appears to be closer. Despite actually being nearly an extra hour away. Not to mention it seems when it comes to Vegas tourism adverts the Grand Canyon is usually one of the main selling points other than Vegas itself. I'm sure Phoenix does this, but seems they need to up the ante somehow.

colemcandrew

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:35 am

RCAF A310 CC-150 Polaris here... Went a grabbed a shot. Anyone know what it’s doing?

PhilMcCrackin

Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:37 am

colemcandrew wrote:
RCAF A310 CC-150 Polaris here... Went a grabbed a shot. Anyone know what it’s doing?

Red Flag starts on Monday, I'd wager it's related to that.

cathay747

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:44 pm

FYI it was said on here at the time of posting that Super Shuttle was no longer going to serve PHX that they were actually going out of business...but their website is still active. It appears they are still in operation, albeit with a SIGNIFICANTLY shorter list of cities served, LAS being one which could be handy for me in future if they remain.

PhilMcCrackin

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:00 pm

2019 passenger numbers are out. 46.3 million pax in 2019. It's a new record and a 3% increase over the last record set in 2018.

4holer

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:24 pm

So that 727 that diverted to PHX from MZJ-MCI a while back... I believe it is the same jet that used to live on the Cutter ramp some time ago. I see it made another attempt to fly to MCI, but diverted back to PHX (I hope). I say I hope because Flightaware has it breaking off the approach and flying south towards the open desert at very low altitude and descending.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N17773
(I know... it did make it back)
My questions are if it was really flying that low to the south of the city, if anyone knows it's current story or future, and if anyone knows the reason for its multiple diversions.

atomiclizzard

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:59 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
colemcandrew wrote:

Red flag? whats that>?

PhilMcCrackin

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:13 pm

atomiclizzard wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:
colemcandrew wrote:

Red flag? whats that>?

It's a large multinational military exercise held out of Nellis in Nevada several times/year.

phxsanslcpdx

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:15 pm

atomiclizzard wrote:
Not to mention it seems when it comes to Vegas tourism adverts the Grand Canyon is usually one of the main selling points other than Vegas itself. I'm sure Phoenix does this, but seems they need to up the ante somehow.

During the summer, at least, Grand Canyon Village is essentially over capacity, so there's no real reason to devote extra advertising to Grand Canyon via PHX. I acknowledge that if there were more tourism demand from Asia to visit the Grand Canyon via Phoenix, we'd be more likely to see nonstop flights. But I think any potential marketing effort to drum up such demand before a flight exists just won't work--the cost per customer they might convince to take an extra flight to Phoenix rather than Vegas would be too high.

I think the best bet by far for nonstop transpac service is continuing to build up business demand across AZ and most specifically in metro Phoenix. Tourism can help fill the backs of those planes if they ever start flying, but the business connections are what matter.

atomiclizzard

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:16 pm

phxsanslcpdx wrote:

I think the best bet by far for nonstop transpac service is continuing to build up business demand across AZ and most specifically in metro Phoenix. Tourism can help fill the backs of those planes if they ever start flying, but the business connections are what matter.

You're on to something there. And I think trends show you are likely to be correct when it comes to the business aspect. AZ really needs to land a tech giant. I recall amazon at one point was trying to find a second HQ. Not sure if they found one because that story seemed to disappear. But too bad they couldn't land that. But I do know Intel has a larger presence here.

MJMallon85374

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 am

colemcandrew wrote:

Saw same aircraft type arrive/depart Luke AFB on Friday 1/24; RCAF Hornets are operating there as well.

MO11

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:20 pm

4holer wrote:
. I say I hope because Flightaware has it breaking off the approach and flying south towards the open desert at very low altitude and descending.
My questions are if it was really flying that low to the south of the city,

So here's a tip. When you see an oddity such as that southbound turn, check the track log:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N17773/history/20200126/1630Z/KPHX/KPHX/tracklog

Note that everything is good until that very last hit, which was 9 minutes after the airplane landed, at an unreasonable airspeed, at an altitude that would have plowed through South Mountain. So, it would be prudent to assume the airplane landed and assume that the report hit is false.

colemcandrew

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:37 am

MO11 wrote:
4holer wrote:
. I say I hope because Flightaware has it breaking off the approach and flying south towards the open desert at very low altitude and descending.
My questions are if it was really flying that low to the south of the city,

So here's a tip. When you see an oddity such as that southbound turn, check the track log:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N17773/history/20200126/1630Z/KPHX/KPHX/tracklog

Note that everything is good until
that very last hit, which was 9 minutes after the airplane landed, at an unreasonable airspeed, at an altitude that would have plowed through South Mountain. So, it would be prudent to assume the airplane landed and assume that the report hit is false.

Aircraft must not be doing well. Hopefully she’s out soon.

cathay747

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:00 pm

This is on routesonline this morning...another AA widebody (short-term though)!

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-in-1q20/

ericm2031

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:41 pm

cathay747 wrote:
This is on routesonline this morning...another AA widebody (short-term though)!

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-in-1q20/

I wonder how long ago this was loaded. If recent, I wonder if this is due to planes being pulled from China.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos