Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjcandee

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2020

Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:32 pm

Sun Country is about to fly the first revenue flight of N5693A (formerly N543RL) today, 6/5/20. That will be 737-800BCF number 4 for Sun Country, and the first to start work with an "A" tail number.

It has been just under a month since Sun Country had the first revenue flight of its first 737-800BCF for Amazon.

Just as a not-entirely-fair comparison, because Southern was and is a mess, it took Southern more than 2.5 months to do the same thing.

sunking737

Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:10 pm

I guess SY is still the class act that I worked for all those years.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

jjbiv

Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:43 pm

wjcandee wrote:
GoodRide wrote:
A ramp lead in SMF mentioned to me that ATI’s flights for Amazon out of there are carrying USPS mail. Did I miss something or has that been announced?

Hadn't heard about that. Are we sure that it's not Parcel Direct stuff, where Amazon packages are delivered in the last mile by the Postal Service? I would assume that a ramp lead would know about that.

Amazon pays the USPS a lot of money for last-mile. Maybe this is a chance to make some of that back on flights that have room? Remember that the mail is messed up big time right now because of several reasons, one of which is the lack of passenger flighs, so reduced belly space for mail. One of our contributors above indicates that FedEx is swamped with mail; not impossible that a short-term deal was made with Amazon on lanes that had room.

I also remember seeing mention of mail on Atlas Air #3591 when I was reading the documents in the NTSB docket for the accident. I'm not sure how Amazon ended up carrying mail. It does seem a little strange.

travaz

Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:37 am

I saw an add for SY hiring pilots with "immediate" openings for 737 qualified pilots. It was on a pilot central form.

jeffrey0032j

Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:24 am

Wonder how the warehouse fire would disrupt or change Amazon's operations.

USAirKid

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:52 am

jeffrey0032j wrote:

I expect they have that modeled. If it completely shuts down the FC for a significant amount of time. We’d see delivery commitment times extended in the surrounding area. (As a fair bit of shipments are local. That is one of Amazon’s goals, to ship an item to you from a FC local to you, not from across the country.)

Other FCs would add hours and employees. I wouldn’t be surprised if Amazon offered to temporarily transfer the FC workers at the burned down location to other locations and put them up in a hotel. A trained worker is better able to get upto speed than a new worker.

Amazon might try to add additional flights to service the area, and if the mail sort facility is down, I’d expect we’d see them dropping those packages at the local UPS hubs.

Although much of this is really unlikely. A fire would probably only affect part of a facility, and most of that facility would continue to be able to operate. Some volume might shift between FCs to cover for the damaged facility’s reduced capacity.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:12 pm

BTW, this fire is a contract warehouse that ships extra large items such as TVs and mattresses.

Canuck600

Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:45 pm

What is the process for Amazon packages that go transborder? Say a Canadian orders something that comes from the states. Do the air carriers mentioned in the thread fly into Canada or does a Canadian air carrier pick it up? Or does it get trucked across the border?

jetblueguy22

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:18 pm

jeffrey0032j wrote:

Amazon sets up their network so that they can keep going and not miss a beat if an FC goes down. They use other FCs to pick up slack when one is behind. The effect is probably minimal network wise. Especially because the FC that caught fire is one that is more specialty items rather than dish detergent and t-shirts.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

jetblueguy22

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:22 pm

Canuck600 wrote:
What is the process for Amazon packages that go transborder? Say a Canadian orders something that comes from the states. Do the air carriers mentioned in the thread fly into Canada or does a Canadian air carrier pick it up? Or does it get trucked across the border?

For the UPS side they do ship international. It gets picked up and processed just like any other international package. If flying brought the gateway, loaded, and flown out. If grounding it goes to a consolidation hub and trucked across.

How much international they move this way though is unknown to me. I’m sure wjcandee has a better idea about the international network outside of brown.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Canuck600

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:30 pm

Thanks, I hate having anything shipped by UPS to Canada they always stick on a bunch of extra fee's that nobody else does. (non amazon parcels)

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:33 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
jeffrey0032j wrote:

Amazon sets up their network so that they can keep going and not miss a beat if an FC goes down. They use other FCs to pick up slack when one is behind. The effect is probably minimal network wise. Especially because the FC that caught fire is one that is more specialty items rather than dish detergent and t-shirts.

Usually, the most common fulfillment centers are Sortable (small/medium sized items), Non-Sortable (bulky/irregular), and Apparel/Footwear. This one was specifically for extra large items that were even larger than the typical Non-Sortable size. At first I though the fire was at ONT9 which is is a Non-Sortable FC in Redlands, but it turns out it is XUSV which is a contract warehouse.

jetblueguy22

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:50 pm

Canuck600 wrote:
Thanks, I hate having anything shipped by UPS to Canada they always stick on a bunch of extra fee's that nobody else does. (non amazon parcels)

That’s all because of the shipper. They’re putting the duty on you through the delivery company instead of paying it up front.

jetblueguy22

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:51 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:
jeffrey0032j wrote:

Usually, the most common fulfillment centers are Sortable (small/medium sized items), Non-Sortable (bulky/irregular), and Apparel/Footwear. This one was specifically for extra large items that were even larger than the typical Non-Sortable size. At first I though the fire was at ONT9 which is is a Non-Sortable FC in Redlands, but it turns out it is XUSV which is a contract warehouse.

XUSV isn’t used anymore its AMXL.

mcg

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:27 pm

What percentage of Amazon deliveries are handled in-house as opposed to an outside delivery company (i.e. UPS or the Post Office or Ontrac)? I know this is a hard question to answer (what do you measure, items, deliveries, weight, volume, mileage?), but I am curious as to the general magnitude of Prime Shipping. Thanks in advance.

wjcandee

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:42 pm

mcg wrote:
What percentage of Amazon deliveries are handled in-house as opposed to an outside delivery company (i.e. UPS or the Post Office or Ontrac)? I know this is a hard question to answer (what do you measure, items, deliveries, weight, volume, mileage?), but I am curious as to the general magnitude of Prime Shipping. Thanks in advance.

Varies dramatically by area. USPS in NYC is the major last-mile. On our part of Long Island, it's reversed, with AMZL the primary method. So very hard to generalize. Also, virtually all USPS is organically Amazon right to the last mile, then to USPS. FedEx and UPS get it from the originating distribution center. I don't know the overall number off the top of my head. There may be something out there with it.

jetblueguy22

Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:31 pm

mcg wrote:

That one gets held pretty close to the vest. Plus the answer is probably drastically different now than it was in February thanks to COVID.

wjcandee

Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:04 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
mcg wrote:

That one gets held pretty close to the vest. Plus the answer is probably drastically different now than it was in February thanks to COVID.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. Close to the vest. FWIW, I know some of you were also following the PPE flights, and I wrote you guys a fairly-extensive summary of what's going on with the smaller carriers that are throwing themselves at the Air Bridge contract. And I picked winners and not-so-winners and made awards. It got removed from our thread (somebody complained, maybe), but the mod who yanked it was kind enough to at least put it in the largely-unread Covid Cargo thread. He was nice enough to say that it obviously was a lot of work and was interesting, and it indeed was a lot of work, so I greatly-appreciate him not blowing it away completely. So it's near the end here if anybody is interested: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1442899&start=400

sunking737

Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:38 am

Sun Country Amazon Prime Air plane #7 is now at PAE as of yesterday. 737-800F N448CC aka N7901A That makes 3 now at PAE going through conformity..
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

jetblueguy22

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:00 am

wjcandee wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:
mcg wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right about that. Close to the vest. FWIW, I know some of you were also following the PPE flights, and I wrote you guys a fairly-extensive summary of what's going on with the smaller carriers that are throwing themselves at the Air Bridge contract. And I picked winners and not-so-winners and made awards. It got removed from our thread (somebody complained, maybe), but the mod who yanked it was kind enough to at least put it in the largely-unread Covid Cargo thread. He was nice enough to say that it obviously was a lot of work and was interesting, and it indeed was a lot of work, so I greatly-appreciate him not blowing it away completely. So it's near the end here if anybody is interested: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1442899&start=400

Appreciate you providing updates. As much as I deal with the airline side of the business everyday, AirBridge is almost unheard of. Very interesting to see what is going on behind the scenes. Can certainly understand why the people I deal with in our planning department are so busy right now on top of what they already have.

jetblueguy22

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:03 am

sunking737 wrote:
Sun Country Amazon Prime Air plane #7 is now at PAE as of yesterday. 737-800F N448CC aka N7901A That makes 3 now at PAE going through conformity..

Boy they aren’t holding back are they? I wonder if the plan Pre Covid was to scale up so fast. I have to imagine not, that would be what, a 30% increase to their fleet in only a few months?

wjcandee

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:21 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

Boy they aren’t holding back are they? I wonder if the plan Pre Covid was to scale up so fast. I have to imagine not, that would be what, a 30% increase to their fleet in only a few months?

It was not. Amazon is bringing these online significantly-faster than planned. I said somewhere else that they were doing it in part to help out Sun Country, and took a raft of nonsense about Amazon not being altruistic, but the point is the same. Sun Country needed work and had pilots, and so Amazon worked with them to speed up the schedule.

jetblueguy22

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:27 am

wjcandee wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

It was not. Amazon is bringing these online significantly-faster than planned. I said somewhere else that they were doing it in part to help out Sun Country, and took a raft of nonsense about Amazon not being altruistic, but the point is the same. Sun Country needed work and had pilots, and so Amazon worked with them to speed up the schedule.

No losers in that arrangement, that’s for sure

darloscott

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:40 am

Another slight change to the European network from this week has seen Rome FCO added to the Southend network. Flights ABR1623/4 now route SEN-FCO-SEN instead of MXP. So Southend now links FCO, MXP, BCN and MAD.

mcg

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:08 pm

wjcandee wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

Are the 738's being converted and delivered faster than planned pre-Covid?

sunking737

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:36 pm

Those Amazon planes had been set to go to Southern Air. but Southern was having staffing issues. So Amazon approached Sun Country about flying their planes. Sun Country had approached Amazon about buying some of their jets. Amazon never got back to Sun Country until the called about the flying.

sunking737

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:11 pm

Just found this out today....Amazon Air (US) to add at least nine more B737-800BCFs, beyond the ten committed via the Sun Country (US) deal.

jbs2886

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:25 pm

sunking737 wrote:
Just found this out today....Amazon Air (US) to add at least nine more B737-800BCFs, beyond the ten committed via the Sun Country (US) deal.

A bit confused here. Amazon committed to 20 737s, 5 to Southern, then 10 to Sun Country, and another 3 to Southern. Are these 9 in addition to the 20? Or is it 7 new plus 2 remaining to be allocated?

sunking737

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:51 pm

I am checking my source at SY. I was emailed newsletter today saying 9 more going to SY. Did not say anything about SOO. I have not seen any info on SOO getting more then the 5 they have now. Per Planspotters.net SOO only has 5 -800F not taking any more. SOO does have 6 -400F with one stored. Planspotters has been good about fleet info. Once I hear from my source I will post to confirm.

jbs2886

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:58 pm

sunking737 wrote:
I am checking my source at SY. I was emailed newsletter today saying 9 more going to SY. Did not say anything about SOO. I have not seen any info on SOO getting more then the 5 they have now. Per Planspotters.net SOO only has 5 -800F not taking any more. SOO does have 6 -400F with one stored. Planspotters has been good about fleet info. Once I hear from my source I will post to confirm.

It is confirmed above Southern is getting 3 more of the remaining 5.

Boof02671

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:55 am

All of AA’s 763s were bought by Jetran.

wjcandee

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:14 am

Boof02671 wrote:
All of AA’s 763s were bought by Jetran.

Which in turn last year sold ATSG subsidiary CAM an option on essentially-all of the ones coming up for retirement (which are now all retired).

Jetran's deal with AA to take all their 767-300s, as they retire, is long-standing.

wjcandee

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:15 pm

The Sun Country 737-800BCFs are now all operating under their "A" numbers, as of today, 6/13/20.

N5261A was N547RL
N5683A was N545RL
N5209A was N542RL
N5693A was N547RL (this one was already using its "A" number)

sunking737

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:28 pm

At the rate they (SY) are picking up planes, I may have to post a fleet list on my desk to tract them all on FlightAware..

autopiloton

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:51 am

Looks like 449AZ flew to ILN from ROW today after finishing paint. It's already on the ATI ops spec so maybe an early addition? Thought I saw on here that it was projected for July 1st.

wjcandee

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:56 am

autopiloton wrote:
Looks like 449AZ flew to ILN from ROW today after finishing paint. It's already on the ATI ops spec so maybe an early addition? Thought I saw on here that it was projected for July 1st.

Yup, that it did. We'll see how fast they actually put it into service. Might be they need to tweak a thing or two at ILN, or maybe not. The last one went into service like 2 days early. Not sure that the dates (7/1, 8/1, 9/1, 10/1) are fixed in stone as opposed to being target dates. The next one after this one is 431AZ, which has been at ILN since 11/15/19, so they've had plenty of time to ready it. Just needs to be painted. They're probably getting pretty-good deals these days from Dean Baldwin. I notice that Landlocked has done a couple of interesting projects to try to stay busy, but all the painters are hurting right now.

UPS757Pilot

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:22 am

UPS provides ground service for the jet but the volume is not UPS packages, I have heard it is postal volume.
dcs921 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
autopiloton wrote:
Amerijet has been operating a flight in and out of SMF. It’s a PHL-SMF-PHL run. I heard they were doing USPS. Maybe the ramp lead was mistaken?

Huh. I thought that was a flight for UPS.

UPS doesn't have any facilities at SMF. It is odd that the flight parks on the UPS ramp in PHL.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:32 am

UPS757Pilot wrote:
UPS provides ground service for the jet but the volume is not UPS packages, I have heard it is postal volume.
dcs921 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Huh. I thought that was a flight for UPS.

UPS doesn't have any facilities at SMF. It is odd that the flight parks on the UPS ramp in PHL.

I wonder if UPS is getting some First Class Mail volume again. I think they did in the past but then I think it stopped some time in the early 2010s. FedEx does most of the Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express air volume, while First Class is mostly on passenger airlines.

jetblueguy22

Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:52 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
UPS757Pilot wrote:
dcs921 wrote:

I wonder if UPS is getting some First Class Mail volume again. I think they did in the past but then I think it stopped some time in the early 2010s. FedEx does most of the Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express air volume, while First Class is mostly on passenger airlines.

UPS flies FC and Priority Mail daily, I don't believe it ever stopped.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:48 pm

I ordered a polo shirt from Amazon for my cousin in Puerto Rico who just graduated; it sat for several days and it shipped ParcelPool/International Bridge.

My guess is that Amazon is using their Amazon Air flights mostly for essentials, while non-essential items sit longer and get slower shipping methods such as International Bridge and UPS Mail Innovations.

sunking737

Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:20 pm

737-800F N7907A aka n445CC Prime Air #5 for SY due tonight in MSP

enplaned

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:02 am

When does LAL come on-line? Back in March, June was the estimated month.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/ ... o-facility

wjcandee

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:17 pm

I don't know who it's running for, but ATI's 395CM is on an ILN-HNL-GUM-HKG-GUM-SYD-HKG-... run. I read on a fansite that the GUM-SYD-HKG portion, at least, is going to be twice weekly for over a month. Can't be for DHL, because of the ABX Scope rules, I think.

MO11

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:44 am

Speaking of that, who does Aloha run a 737-300 for between GSO and ONT? Westbound AM, eastbound PM. Started at the beginning of the month.

twincommander

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:21 am

SY has started an efficient cargo operation with no real issues to speak of yet. Flights ahead of time and under budget.

My inside scoop says that southern is not happy with sunny, and sunny has shown they currently have the support needed to handle the flying. Amazon is also quite happy with the arrangement. No comment given either direction about additional aircraft other than "things are looking really good right now."

wjcandee

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:50 am

twincommander wrote:
SY has started an efficient cargo operation with no real issues to speak of yet. Flights ahead of time and under budget.

My inside scoop says that southern is not happy with sunny, and sunny has shown they currently have the support needed to handle the flying. Amazon is also quite happy with the arrangement. No comment given either direction about additional aircraft other than "things are looking really good right now."

Thanks for the scoop!!

Southern is just being envious. They screwed the pooch on a great opportunity, and Amazon went elsewhere. They ought to focus on getting their own house in order, which apparently they are doing. Ain't competition grand?

Varsity1

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:52 am

twincommander wrote:

SY's operation is operated by SY's normal Pax Pilots/Dispatchers/MX. Passenger carriers obsess over on-time performance and completion factor, so it's no surprise they are blowing the ACMi's out of the water on the metrics.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

sunking737

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:55 am

My source stated that the Amazon planes run the same as the SY as far as MX goes. Not too many issues, But you are dealing with an airline that has been flying 737-800 since 2001. I think they know what to do and how to handle things that come up.

MajMattMason

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:01 am

wjcandee wrote:
I don't know who it's running for, but ATI's 395CM is on an ILN-HNL-GUM-HKG-GUM-SYD-HKG-... run. I read on a fansite that the GUM-SYD-HKG portion, at least, is going to be twice weekly for over a month. Can't be for DHL, because of the ABX Scope rules, I think.

It’s for DHL.

ABX’s DHL “domestic 767 out of CVG scope clause” during their concession contract did not envision any other ATSG company but them doing international work for DHL I guess.

wjcandee

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:30 am

MajMatt: Thanks for the info. I missed that part about it being limited to domestic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos