Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Tue May 12, 2020 11:30 pm

777-9 N779XW today performed the longest flight for a 777-9, clocking in at 6 hours and 18 minutes. (The 2nd longest was back in February 24, 2020 at 6:17, it was the first stall test for the 777-9). Also, toward the tail end of the flight, it was cruising at roughly 30,000ft at roughly 500kts. That seems to be testing for a regular cruise, hopefully out of state flights will be soon (looking at my username you can probably tell why :D )

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n779xw
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9
 
JayinKitsap
Posts: 2089
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:55 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Tue May 12, 2020 11:33 pm

OldAeroGuy wrote:
morrisond wrote:
OldAeroGuy wrote:

The tail loads during a stall are dynamic, ie the tail bounces around a lot in the wing wake and the concern is structural fatigue. Flight test airplanes do numerous stalls as part of a flight test program. Production airplanes will probably never encounter a stall in their service life so h. tail stall fatigue issues are a minor design condition.

If the keel beam has a strength issue, I doubt that it would be impacted by the h. tail fatigue condition.



What about when you are in a full stall (or spin) though and pointed at the ground and have to pull significant G's once you get the wing flying again to pull out of it?


You're being a bit dramatic. I was on the airplane or analyzed/reviewed data for 100's of stalls on the 737 Classic, 737NG, 747, 757 and 777 during configuration development and certification. Pulling more than 1.5 G's during recovery was a rare event with the norm being 1.05 - 1.20.

Spins on Part 25 airplanes during stall testing is very unlikely. About the most exciting thing that does happen during Part 25 stall tests are high bank angles due to asymmetric wing stalling. A sudden, uncommanded 60 deg bank can be pretty eye opening but they don't entail high recovery loads.

Remember at stall, the load factor is less than 1.0. During recovery, high load factors are not needed unless you're near the ground. The solution is to initiate all stall tests above 10,000 ft AGL.


Absent the tension in the keel beam due to pressurization, I would think the critical design condition for the keel beam is in compression as buckling happens is far lower than the allowable tension stress. In slender steel structures Fc is often around 18 ksi and Ft is at 36 ksi (using LFRD), pulling out of a dive should cause tension in the keel. I would think turbulence where the craft drops then hits the undisturbed air, similar to doing a belly flop into water would be a high compression load in the keel. Similarly landing hard where the gear is trying to stab thru the wing wells would have wicked compression in the keel.

I recall the 767's have had a number of hull buckling just ahead of the wing due to hard landings. Those are similar but the keel there is probably in tension, full compression at the crown due to the nose wheel hitting hard.
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Tue May 12, 2020 11:34 pm

Opus99 wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
Opus99 wrote:
https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/1260341576682754049?s=21

The first Lufthansa 777X D-ABTA has rolled out


Technically one of the prototypes is an LH frame.

I think this one might be going into storage. WH003 and 004 are also LH frames but will be delivered later on after they are refurbished for delivery


My spreadsheet shows WH003 and WH004 delivery dates will be July and August 2021

Source: https://sites.google.com/site/lhgroupfleet/lufthansa (Scroll to the bottom)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9
 
morrisond
Posts: 2645
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:22 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 1:23 am

OldAeroGuy wrote:
morrisond wrote:
OldAeroGuy wrote:

The tail loads during a stall are dynamic, ie the tail bounces around a lot in the wing wake and the concern is structural fatigue. Flight test airplanes do numerous stalls as part of a flight test program. Production airplanes will probably never encounter a stall in their service life so h. tail stall fatigue issues are a minor design condition.

If the keel beam has a strength issue, I doubt that it would be impacted by the h. tail fatigue condition.



What about when you are in a full stall (or spin) though and pointed at the ground and have to pull significant G's once you get the wing flying again to pull out of it?


You're being a bit dramatic. I was on the airplane or analyzed/reviewed data for 100's of stalls on the 737 Classic, 737NG, 747, 757 and 777 during configuration development and certification. Pulling more than 1.5 G's during recovery was a rare event with the norm being 1.05 - 1.20.

Spins on Part 25 airplanes during stall testing is very unlikely. About the most exciting thing that does happen during Part 25 stall tests are high bank angles due to asymmetric wing stalling. A sudden, uncommanded 60 deg bank can be pretty eye opening but they don't entail high recovery loads.

Remember at stall, the load factor is less than 1.0. During recovery, high load factors are not needed unless you're near the ground. The solution is to initiate all stall tests above 10,000 ft AGL.


Makes sense. This whole line of reasoning came from some implying that loads were too high at high altitude and that is why Boeing wasn't going that high.

I was just pointing out that loads would be higher at lower altitude.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3013
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 5:13 am

L/N 1633 C/N XXXXX B777-9 JA072A ALL NIPPON AIRWAYS (WH???) has also been identified at the Everett Flight Line (look for the effectivity code, painted at the the nose door)

See Matt Cawby's Paine Field blog of May 12th : http://kpae.blogspot.com/2020/05/paine- ... ay-12.html
Detailed picture : http://www.paineairport.com/kpae18322w.htm

L/N 1638 C/N XXXXX B777-9 D-ABTA LUFTHANSA
Image

Original uploaded by Matt cawby at twitter, see : https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 6682754049
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 6:07 am

Do they always come out of the factory with all of the windows covered? Is this a 'standard occurrence' across all of the frames? Or is this an indication that they are stored?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 6:23 am

Also, does anyone know if there are any specific contracts/info regarding where these frames will be painted? So far all of them have been painted at PAE (for obvious reasons), but with more customer frames coming off the production line, will they all be painted at PAE? Anyone know if either PDX or VCV have been allocated as a Boeing paint site for the 777-9? They used to send everything (I've seen pics of 737MAX/748/777/787 all at VCV for paint) to VCV but now only send 737MAX, so I'm assuming there's a specific reason such as site compatibility or contracts with the type of aircraft? Can anyone enlighten me on Boeing's paint procedure and where the 777-9s would be painted in the future?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9
 
Spetsnaz55
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:38 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 11:11 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
Do they always come out of the factory with all of the windows covered? Is this a 'standard occurrence' across all of the frames? Or is this an indication that they are stored?



Standard for all 777s
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10357
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 11:21 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
Do they always come out of the factory with all of the windows covered? Is this a 'standard occurrence' across all of the frames? Or is this an indication that they are stored?

Unless this plane is part of the test fleet it’s going to be stored for a while until certification occurs and LH is ready for delivery.
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 3258
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Spetsnaz55 wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:
Do they always come out of the factory with all of the windows covered? Is this a 'standard occurrence' across all of the frames? Or is this an indication that they are stored?



Standard for all 777s


Wonder why wouldn't it be standard for all airplane as the next step would be paint, and they would have to cover the windows for that anyway?

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
Spetsnaz55
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:38 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 1:44 pm

bikerthai wrote:
Spetsnaz55 wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:
Do they always come out of the factory with all of the windows covered? Is this a 'standard occurrence' across all of the frames? Or is this an indication that they are stored?



Standard for all 777s


Wonder why wouldn't it be standard for all airplane as the next step would be paint, and they would have to cover the windows for that anyway?

bt


So you think that covering in the above picture is for paint?
 
birdbrainz
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:57 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 1:57 pm

minister wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:
777-9 N779XW (BOE1) filed a flight plan BFI-BFI 10AM - 12:43PM

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE1


Currently flying at 25,000 feet, up from an extended time at 20,000 feet.


It's been up to 30k more than just a few times, including yesterday. I'm wondering if Boeing should schedule a special flight loaded with an MRAP in the front and the back and sumo wrestlers jumping up and down in unison by the aft exit at M0.95 and FL430 flying through a plume of an above ground nuclear test during a solar flare just to appease some on here.

But if they did that, I'm sure some would say that Boeing is clearly hiding something by shooting right past 20k ft and doing all their testing at FL430.

Wait, this just in. Boeing just announced that they're fitting an arresting hook to the 777x and are going to land it at max landing weight on an aircraft carrier. They said should finally put to bed any notions that the keel beam isn't strong enough. (eyes rolling and humor intended)
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 3258
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 2:46 pm

Spetsnaz55 wrote:
bikerthai wrote:
Spetsnaz55 wrote:


Standard for all 777s


Wonder why wouldn't it be standard for all airplane as the next step would be paint, and they would have to cover the windows for that anyway?

bt


So you think that covering in the above picture is for paint?


Unsure.

I can see a scenario where they keep the windows covered after installation to prevent damage during subsequent manufacturing steps. An astute planner would then ask the supplier to make the covering double up as masking for painting as well.

Save time in the paint shop. :idea:

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
cat3appr50
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 6:09 pm

FlightAware (and Flightradar24 data confirmed same) flight data for the BOE1 B779 test flight on May 12, 2020 notes at location 47.9792 / -119.8654 at 2238Z the performance was FL301 at 520 Kn GS and 101 deg. true track, and at a low climb rate of 150 FPM. Based on (average of KSEA and KGEG) winds aloft data (direction, speed, and temperature) etc. for this flight location and time, my calculations indicate BOE1 was at M.900. IMO that’s great progress, and good news.
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 6:29 pm

777-9 N779XW on a test flight as BOE1, BFI-BFI arrival scheduled for 1:54PM.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE1
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9
 
EK7777
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 7:56 pm

N779XW currently cruising at 35k ft.
 
birdbrainz
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:57 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 8:03 pm

cat3appr50 wrote:
FlightAware (and Flightradar24 data confirmed same) flight data for the BOE1 B779 test flight on May 12, 2020 notes at location 47.9792 / -119.8654 at 2238Z the performance was FL301 at 520 Kn GS and 101 deg. true track, and at a low climb rate of 150 FPM. Based on (average of KSEA and KGEG) winds aloft data (direction, speed, and temperature) etc. for this flight location and time, my calculations indicate BOE1 was at M.900. IMO that’s great progress, and good news.


That's fantastic. On one of the earlier flights at FL300, I saw a GS of 540 mph going west and 610 mph going east after a U-turn. If we average those, we end up with 575 mph (500 kts), and if we assume a speed of sound of 589 kts at FL300, it was at M0.85 that day.
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.
 
User avatar
77west
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 4:19 am

747classic wrote:
L/N 1633 C/N XXXXX B777-9 JA072A ALL NIPPON AIRWAYS (WH???) has also been identified at the Everett Flight Line (look for the effectivity code, painted at the the nose door)

See Matt Cawby's Paine Field blog of May 12th : http://kpae.blogspot.com/2020/05/paine- ... ay-12.html
Detailed picture : http://www.paineairport.com/kpae18322w.htm

L/N 1638 C/N XXXXX B777-9 D-ABTA LUFTHANSA
Image

Original uploaded by Matt cawby at twitter, see : https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 6682754049


Is that ANA frame the first 779 without the optional exit in the aft cabin?
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3013
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 7:14 am

77west wrote:
747classic wrote:
L/N 1633 C/N XXXXX B777-9 JA072A ALL NIPPON AIRWAYS (WH???) has also been identified at the Everett Flight Line (look for the effectivity code, painted at the the nose door)

See Matt Cawby's Paine Field blog of May 12th : http://kpae.blogspot.com/2020/05/paine- ... ay-12.html
Detailed picture : http://www.paineairport.com/kpae18322w.htm



Is that ANA frame the first 779 without the optional exit in the aft cabin?


No, L/N 1629, JA071A also for ANA is the first 777-9 without the optional exit in the aft cabin.
See Matt Cawby's Paine Field blog of Feb 24th, : http://www.paineairport.com/kpae18194r.htm
Boeing (first two), DLH and Emirates all have selected the 5 door option.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 8:23 am

747classic wrote:
Image

Original uploaded by Matt cawby at twitter, see : https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 6682754049


Just another question about this pic. I watched some doco years ago about 737 production and it showed all the fuselages coming in by train and it made mention of the green covering to protect the aluminium metal from weather. It gets stripped off at the paint shop so that painting can take place.

In this image we only see parts of the plane covered in this “protective wrap” like the nose area, leading edges on the wings and the VTP. Why is the middle not covered?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
C1973
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 770
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 9:40 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
747classic wrote:
Image

Original uploaded by Matt cawby at twitter, see : https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 6682754049


Just another question about this pic. I watched some doco years ago about 737 production and it showed all the fuselages coming in by train and it made mention of the green covering to protect the aluminium metal from weather. It gets stripped off at the paint shop so that painting can take place.

In this image we only see parts of the plane covered in this “protective wrap” like the nose area, leading edges on the wings and the VTP. Why is the middle not covered?

Thanks in advance.

The middle is covered, in a lighter shade.
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 3258
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 12:23 pm

While Jeffrey's response may be most accurate, another explanation may be that the cover is semi transparent and the primer underneath is also of a different shade.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 5:24 pm

777-9 N779XW on another test flight as BOE1 on BFI-BFI, scheduled arrival at 1:59PM

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE1
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9
 
Bricktop
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 5:39 pm

Stitch wrote:
So you comment that the 777X certification process is taking longer than you feel it should be to hit certain arbitrary milestones, keesje, and then you comment that said 777X certification process is inherently flawed and should be slower to ensure the mistakes that were allowed in the MAX certification do not occur again.

And you wonder then why some people ignore or downplay said contradictory comments. :scratchchin:

There's a very good movie called North Dallas Forty about a football (US) team and its coach which resemble the Dallas Cowboys and Tom Landry. A line in that movie that springs to mind is "Every time I call it a game, you call it a business. And every time I call it a business, you call it a game." Move those goalposts, an expression which translates to all kinds of football.
 
Opus99
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 7:08 pm

Now heading towards the Pacific
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 7:20 pm

Opus99 wrote:
Now heading towards the Pacific


Looks like they wanted to head out a little more to the west that time, now has turned back and headed inland again. Did a perfect flyover of PAE at roughly 40,000ft, maybe that's what they were aiming for???
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9
 
744SPX
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 8:31 pm

Assuming the service ceiling is going to be 43k, its going to be flown to at least that in testing. With the low wing loading (for Boeing) that should be pretty easy at just about any weight.
 
Spetsnaz55
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:38 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 10:47 pm

And it's over the pacific.. so cool
 
User avatar
FiscAutTecGarte
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 11:05 pm

Very nice milestone. Congradulations Boeing. The King of the Skies has left the continent!
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.
 
Spetsnaz55
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:38 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Fri May 15, 2020 12:02 am

According to Matt Cawby. N779xw lost its trailing cone yesterday lol
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 10537
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Fri May 15, 2020 7:25 am

This thread will be temporarily locked for the next 12-24 hours pending further discussion with the other moderators
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 10537
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 1:02 am

After discussion with the other moderators this thread will remain open for the time being however if the existing problems keep on coming up we will revisit that decision. Take note that nearly 100 posts have had to be removed from this thread in just the past 8 days alone. Please take note that none of the moderators dont want to be in a position of locking the thread however if we have to make that decision there will be no 777X Production and Testing Thread until 1 January 2021.

All users are expected to comply with forum rules. (Take note that there will be an update on the forum rules coming out over this weekend so keep an eye out for it). Keep your posts on topic, your post must contribute to the the topic, no low quality posting, no trolling, keep the flamebait and personal comments out of the discussion. Those who continue to take the thread off track will be subject to further action such as warnings or being banned.
Forum Moderator
 
Opus99
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 1:47 am

Thanks Moderators for re-opening. We will be sure to adhere to the rules.

Today’s highlights:

Both WH001 and 002 both had test flights

002 reached the ceiling of 43100 and stayed their for about 20 minutes and then made its way back to BFI

001 reached about 36750 and carried out different tests at different altitudes
 
morrisond
Posts: 2645
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:22 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 2:09 am

Opus99 wrote:
Thanks Moderators for re-opening. We will be sure to adhere to the rules.

Today’s highlights:

Both WH001 and 002 both had test flights

002 reached the ceiling of 43100 and stayed their for about 20 minutes and then made its way back to BFI

001 reached about 36750 and carried out different tests at different altitudes


They did it in about 19 minutes as well. Over 2,000 fpm average. It would be really interesting to know at what weight they were flying. I'm assuming not MAX as they would not have been able to land so soon unless they dumped fuel which seems like would be a real waste.
 
TropicalSky
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 2:25 am

Love that the test aircrafts are stretching their legs-WH 001 has been flying over 4.5 hrs per flight recently
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE1
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE2
 
User avatar
MoKa777
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:47 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 3:51 am

Can someone please expand on the maximum passengers for each door configuration on the B779?

It was probably discussed before but it would be quite time consuming to sift through all the posts to find it.
Never be proud. Always be grateful.
 
Opus99
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 4:16 am

Does anyone have a clue when wh003 will come online? this is the frame scheduled to handle propulsion performance and flight loads so the big thing really
 
TropicalSky
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 4:22 am

Original update from Boeing was for each aircraft to come online and fly one month behind each other.....I'm sure the closure of the factory due Covid has thrown that schedule back atleast 1.5 months for each plane

Opus99 wrote:
Does anyone have a clue when wh003 will come online? this is the frame scheduled to handle propulsion performance and flight loads so the big thing really
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 26946
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 4:31 am

MoKa777 wrote:
Can someone please expand on the maximum passengers for each door configuration on the B779?


The 777-9 can be ordered with one of four exit door configurations:

A-A-A-A (440 passenger Exit Limit)
C-A-A-A (385 passenger Exit Limit)
C-A-A-C-A (440 passenger Exit Limit))
A-A-A-C-A (495 passenger Exit Limit))
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 5:58 am

I would like to echo the sentiments of others on this thread, and thank the moderators for their decision to keep this thread unlocked. I do hope that we can all stay civilized as enjoy this beauty continue testing. As Opus99 mentioned, 777-9 N779XX WH002 hit 43,100ft today, which is the highest either of the two 777-9s have flown. Adding to that, 777-9 N779XW today had an OEW-100 expansion test according to the link below.

http://kpae.blogspot.com/2020/05/paine- ... 5.html?m=1
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9
 
VV
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 7:06 am

They are lucky with the 777-9 flight test timing.

We are now in the fast decreasing part of the health crisis due to the novel coronavirus.
Summer is coming soon so the weather would be better for flight test (excepted cold weather tests).

Unfortunately it also mean the flight test is in the boring part.
It is about flying, flying and flying to valid systems design (failures cases etc.) and collect a lot of data.

The next spectacular tests will happen toward autumn and winter 2020.
 
TropicalSky
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 1:03 pm

What does the (OEW) stand for ?

VCVSpotter wrote:
I would like to echo the sentiments of others on this thread, and thank the moderators for their decision to keep this thread unlocked. I do hope that we can all stay civilized as enjoy this beauty continue testing. As Opus99 mentioned, 777-9 N779XX WH002 hit 43,100ft today, which is the highest either of the two 777-9s have flown. Adding to that, 777-9 N779XW today had an OEW-100 expansion test according to the link below.

http://kpae.blogspot.com/2020/05/paine- ... 5.html?m=1
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3013
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 1:33 pm

TropicalSky wrote:
What does the (OEW) stand for ?

VCVSpotter wrote:
I would like to echo the sentiments of others on this thread, and thank the moderators for their decision to keep this thread unlocked. I do hope that we can all stay civilized as enjoy this beauty continue testing. As Opus99 mentioned, 777-9 N779XX WH002 hit 43,100ft today, which is the highest either of the two 777-9s have flown. Adding to that, 777-9 N779XW today had an OEW-100 expansion test according to the link below.

http://kpae.blogspot.com/2020/05/paine- ... 5.html?m=1


OEW = Operational Empty Weight
Probably in this case, the aircraft was operated during the OEW-100 expansion test with an extra weight of 100.000 lbs for expansion of the flight envelope with high zero fuel weights.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
TropicalSky
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Makes sense....just wanted confirmation I'm thinking logically - THANKS

747classic wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:
What does the (OEW) stand for ?

VCVSpotter wrote:
I would like to echo the sentiments of others on this thread, and thank the moderators for their decision to keep this thread unlocked. I do hope that we can all stay civilized as enjoy this beauty continue testing. As Opus99 mentioned, 777-9 N779XX WH002 hit 43,100ft today, which is the highest either of the two 777-9s have flown. Adding to that, 777-9 N779XW today had an OEW-100 expansion test according to the link below.

http://kpae.blogspot.com/2020/05/paine- ... 5.html?m=1


OEW = Operational Empty Weight
Probably in this case, the aircraft was operated during the OEW-100 expansion test with an extra weight of 100.000 lbs for expansion of the flight envelope with high zero fuel weights.
 
Jefford717
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:36 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 6:01 pm

Stitch wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:
Can someone please expand on the maximum passengers for each door configuration on the B779?


The 777-9 can be ordered with one of four exit door configurations:

A-A-A-A (440 passenger Exit Limit)
C-A-A-A (385 passenger Exit Limit)
C-A-A-C-A (440 passenger Exit Limit))
A-A-A-C-A (495 passenger Exit Limit))


Can the 779 be ordered with 4 set of type A+ doors with an exit limit of 480 kinda like with A35K?
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 26946
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sat May 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Jefford717 wrote:
Can the 779 be ordered with 4 set of type A+ doors with an exit limit of 480 kinda like with A35K?


I have not seen anything about Boeing being interested in adding the modifications to the slide-system required. Also, while EASA has approved the Type A+ exit via an Equivalent Safety Finding, I am not sure the FAA has (I can't find a record of such with a quick Internet search).

To my knowledge, no A350-1000 or A330-900 operator with Type A+ exists plans to operate such frames in the United States, so an FAA Equivalent Safety Finding is not necessary, but I expect Boeing would require such a Finding in order to add them to the 777X because the frame needs to be certified to all FAA FARs.
 
User avatar
MoKa777
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:47 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sun May 17, 2020 4:31 am

Stitch wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:
Can someone please expand on the maximum passengers for each door configuration on the B779?


The 777-9 can be ordered with one of four exit door configurations:

A-A-A-A (440 passenger Exit Limit)
C-A-A-A (385 passenger Exit Limit)
C-A-A-C-A (440 passenger Exit Limit))
A-A-A-C-A (495 passenger Exit Limit))


Thank you, very well explained.
Never be proud. Always be grateful.
 
Aviator34ID
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:34 am

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Sun May 17, 2020 10:33 pm

How is the flying hour total coming along?

Is there a guesstimate of what the whole test program will require?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 10537
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Mon May 18, 2020 1:41 am

A couple of pictures of N779XX flying over PAE on Friday during its test flight

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/KPAE_Spotter/status ... 22049?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 10537
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2020

Tue May 19, 2020 5:50 am

Emirates 779 A6-EZB and ANA 779 JA072A being towed at PAE (18 May)

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 74624?s=20
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos