User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 9899
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:25 pm

Welcome to the New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411857
Forum Moderator
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:52 pm

To start the 2020 thread off, here is a quick recap of 2019 and a few thoughts on potential new routes or airlines in 2020.

2019 review:

1. North terminal opened on Nov. 7th. The terminal has already processed over 2 million passengers. There have been a few hiccups along the way, but overall the facility is performing well.
2. A new Canadian destination and carrier entered the market. Air Transat begin twice weekly year round service to YUL on Nov. 3rd.
3. NK continued to expand services in the market. New NK routes included...DEN, PHL, AUS, RDU, and BNA.
4. Vacation Express added MBJ as a route this year and has announced that the route will be flown again next Summer. CUN has also been announced for next Summer.
4. G4 added seasonal service to SDF and GRR, but ended flying to CLE and LCK.
5. DL added seasonal service to RDU (already gone for 2020).
6. F9 added service to CVG.
7. DL ended Summer flying to CUN, but still flies in the winter months. UA announced the end of CUN service in 2020.
8. WN added CUN service, but ended service to SMF, BOS, CLE, and CMH.
9. BA going 6x weekly in 2020.

A mixed bag in terms of routes with some decent adds and a few cuts. SMF was the most surprising cut in my opinion.

2020 thoughts/predictions:

1. I think we could see NK finally go international given the connecting opportunities now available with over 20 destinations served. CUN and SAP are my predictions. Domestic adds that could work for NK include OAK, IND, PIT, and JAX. RIC may also be a possibility.
2. If and when 73M aircraft begin flying again, I think WN could add back some of the routes we saw cut last year.
3. WS returns the market with 2x weekly winter seasonal service to YYC.
4. No new routes from AA, DL, or UA.
5. F9 and G4 are wildcards to me. Who knows what they will do.
6. No new TATL routes or carriers. BA goes daily by winter 2020.

Overall, expecting slow and incremental growth next year.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:04 pm

Any update on the United Lounge at the airport? are they still doing one? just curious.. otherwise I like your predictions overall but do think we will see a Portland nonstop this year? wild guess maybe a west palm beach or Charleston nonstop too?

oh and the inevitable yearly announcement of Silver Airways coming to again never actually happen lol
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:25 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Any update on the United Lounge at the airport? are they still doing one? just curious.. otherwise I like your predictions overall but do think we will see a Portland nonstop this year? wild guess maybe a west palm beach or Charleston nonstop too?

oh and the inevitable yearly announcement of Silver Airways coming to again never actually happen lol


Yes, the United Club is wrapping up construction and will be open in Q1 2020. Not sure of the exact date yet, but I've been hearing sometime in February. The opening was supposed to occur at the same time as the DL club, but the pipe issues discovered over the Summer required tearing up the flooring in the United Club and getting it re-installed.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3325
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:30 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
2020 thoughts/predictions:

1. I think we could see NK finally go international given the connecting opportunities now available with over 20 destinations served. CUN and SAP are my predictions. Domestic adds that could work for NK include OAK, IND, PIT, and JAX. RIC may also be a possibility.


In addition to MSY-OAK/IND/PIT/JAX/RIC, NK adding CLT-MSY nonstop service is also a possibility with NK already having a significant presence in the MSY market, with NK already serving CLT, and with CLT being one of the largest markets without nonstop LCC service to MSY.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:17 pm

jplatts wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
2020 thoughts/predictions:

1. I think we could see NK finally go international given the connecting opportunities now available with over 20 destinations served. CUN and SAP are my predictions. Domestic adds that could work for NK include OAK, IND, PIT, and JAX. RIC may also be a possibility.


In addition to MSY-OAK/IND/PIT/JAX/RIC, NK adding CLT-MSY nonstop service is also a possibility with NK already having a significant presence in the MSY market, with NK already serving CLT, and with CLT being one of the largest markets without nonstop LCC service to MSY.


I think NK guess.. plus if nk wants to use msy as a service to intl destinations in mexico and carribean etc this would be a logical place to go from charlotte
 
msycajun
Posts: 1107
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:19 pm

This has certainly been a wild year between the MAX and North Terminal opening. I'll be looking for a revamp of the arrivals pickup process as well as better bus service to the terminal. We should see taxiway improvements starting next year as well. Hopefully we'll see the improvement of Bainbridge and connection of West Napoleon to the old Access Road move quickly. There is also the question of what will go in place of the south terminal. I'd love to see some sort of aerospace/engine use given the proximity to Michoud/Stennis/Airbus Mobile.

I'm most pleased about the new service to YUL, expanded BA frequency, and NK expansion giving us daily service to RDU along with strong competition to AUS, BNA, DEN, and PHL.

A couple of air service predictions:
1. NK has a lot of planes coming in and appears poised to connect more dots rather than adding a lot of new cities. PHL seems to be performing well enough to go daily and I'm eyeing MCO, LAS, DTW, BWI, and maybe IAH to see more regular twice daily service. With AS suspending SFO, OAK seems like a natural add for NK, along with PIT, IND, and SAN, possibly PHX, JAX, and RIC and CUN, MBJ, and SAP if they go international.
2. G4 has been steadily trying new things and dropping routes when they get more competition. I'd love to see them try CHS, RIC or ORF, OMA or DSM, IAG, and OKC. Word is they are planning to announce Mexico soon, so perhaps we'll see something there - they've indicated that larger airports might be used as stopovers to connect smaller markets to Mexico.
3. DL also has a lot of new planes coming that should help make some things happen - SEA and BOS daily, extra SLC/MSP, maybe RDU, and I'm still waiting for CDG!
4. AA/UA/WN will be in limbo for a while - still I'd look to see AA expand PHX, maybe add NYC, UA back to LAX, and WN bring back SJC and SMF if the planes become available.
5. Still waiting to see who will try PDX first - SY, F9, NK, WN, AS are all possibilities
6. Also curious to see if any of the rumors of Honduras pan out, hoping for a major carrier and not a charter outfit
7. Silver seems to finally be getting its business together with the new ATRs, I would be surprised to see them try something at MSY
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:19 pm

Unlike the bag system, something just as complex - and seemingly working fine - and little talked about, is the new MSY fuel farm and hydrant fueling system. Here's a great in depth article on that.

https://airportimprovement.com/article/ ... m-upgrades
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:16 pm

Clemson traffic for the championship game resulting in some charter flights by AA and UA out of GSP. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2019/12/30/clemson-vs-lsu-gsp-adding-nonstop-flights-new-orleans/2774733001/

Nice article about the new fueling system.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12836
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:08 am

msycajun wrote:
I'm still waiting for CDG!

:pray: :pray: :pray:


msycajun wrote:
Also curious to see if any of the rumors of Honduras pan out

What rumors have you heard?


msycajun wrote:
Silver seems to finally be getting its business together with the new ATRs, I would be surprised to see them try something at MSY

Would, or would not?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:12 pm

What I'd like to see for MSY 2020 (not necessarily will)

1) BA daily
2) PDX
3) Silver to EYW
4) NK intl
5) nonstops to western Canada
6) consistent overall pax growth (1M per year?)
7) a serious attempt to provide some kind of express regular bus service to downtown that is catered to travelers (luggage racks, lowfloor bus)
8) set up a rideshare pickup system similar to BNA in 1st floor of ST garage or suface lot

*Not really knowing the fate of DE in general, hope they survive the loan due date and have a successful summer op, and we continue service to FRA with someone in 2021.
 
bretonrlong
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:51 pm

SNN707 wrote:
What I'd like to see for MSY 2020 (not necessarily will)

1) BA daily
2) PDX
3) Silver to EYW
4) NK intl
5) nonstops to western Canada
6) consistent overall pax growth (1M per year?)
7) a serious attempt to provide some kind of express regular bus service to downtown that is catered to travelers (luggage racks, lowfloor bus)
8) set up a rideshare pickup system similar to BNA in 1st floor of ST garage or suface lot

*Not really knowing the fate of DE in general, hope they survive the loan due date and have a successful summer op, and we continue service to FRA with someone in 2021.



I wondered the same, why couldn't they do this? Seems like it could relieve some of the congestion in that area. Ultimately, could see car rental brought over to that area as well. Surface lot becomes another parking garage. Thoughts?

8) set up a rideshare pickup system similar to BNA in 1st floor of ST garage or suface lot
 
bretonrlong
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:00 pm

MSY 2020 not in any particular order

1) Expansion by NK with a few international offerings, would be interesting to see them try RSW as well seasonally.
2) WN, SY or AS add service to PDX
3) BA announce 6x weekly to daily in 2021
4) WN additional frequency additions providing MAX is flight worthy

Outside of these (longer term)
1) Silver gives MSY a look
2) Ride share services moved into dedicated area
3) Rental car moved to North Terminal (Parking garage)
4) Surface lot goes vertical
5) FBO moved to South Terminal area allowing further terminal expansion westward
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:32 pm

bretonrlong wrote:
MSY 2020 not in any particular order

1) Expansion by NK with a few international offerings, would be interesting to see them try RSW as well seasonally.
2) WN, SY or AS add service to PDX
3) BA announce 6x weekly to daily in 2021
4) WN additional frequency additions providing MAX is flight worthy

Outside of these (longer term)
1) Silver gives MSY a look
2) Ride share services moved into dedicated area
3) Rental car moved to North Terminal (Parking garage)
4) Surface lot goes vertical
5) FBO moved to South Terminal area allowing further terminal expansion westward


Moving rideshare pickup to the ST or surface lot could probably be done quickly and relatively inexpensively.

Moving rental cars is not so simple as the RC support (washing, cleaning, maint, etc) needs to be nearby as currently set up at the ST. That takes quite a bit of real estate.

I'm sure there will be a master plan per building a new terminal core down the road and that is when we'll probably see a new CONRAC built to serve NT1 and NT2, maybe where the surface lot is now, with an access bridge to the RC service areas.

I keep reading complaints about the time it takes to get to the ST garage and CONRAC. But there are always multiple buses waiting to pick up so pax should be able to get on a bus right away. I'm going to test taking the CONRAC bus and getting an Uber across from old credit card lot. Seems easy enough.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:47 pm

A new CONRAC is a ways off. Nothing will happen until the bonds used to build the current CONRAC facility are closer to being paid off. Current ride from terminal to CONRAC is equivalent to the rides at PHX and LAS at around 15 minutes.
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:27 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
A new CONRAC is a ways off. Nothing will happen until the bonds used to build the current CONRAC facility are closer to being paid off. Current ride from terminal to CONRAC is equivalent to the rides at PHX and LAS at around 15 minutes.


This. I mean, having a walkable CONRAC was really nice but the shuttle is not a dealbreaker. I'm hoping when Bainbridge is renovated, some consideration should be given to widening Veterans the short distance from Bainbridge to the AAR and dedicating one lane in each direction to the shuttles. Even before the NT opened, Vets EB bottlenecked at times at the AAR light. A dedicated bus lane would allow the shuttles to fly past and give the trip a consistent timing.

Btw, IAHs CONRAC is also a healthy bus trip from the terminal area.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12836
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:48 pm

My MSY2020 wish list

1) BA increase gauge to LHR
2) AF/DL announce CDG for 2021
3) NK go international to LatAm/Caribbean, offering statside [email protected]
4) WS return to MSY
5) Nonstop from PDX
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:37 am

Looks like the British are big fans of New Orleans. 5 out of 5 stars for tourist attractions and ease of getting around. Somehow 4 out of 5 for food and drink. Still, good news in terms of getting that BA flight up to daily status year round.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... fe75df7d55
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:19 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Looks like the British are big fans of New Orleans. 5 out of 5 stars for tourist attractions and ease of getting around. Somehow 4 out of 5 for food and drink. Still, good news in terms of getting that BA flight up to daily status year round.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... fe75df7d55


Surprised MSY was at the very top, esp as there are many more seats flying to the other top cities from the UK. Was really surprised to see BNA down the list and AUS not at all, as they both have more UK nonstop capacity.

They key will be return visits. I think currently MSY is underserved by BA a little, with this kind of publicity a daily 788 surely would work in the future. But do we know the breakouts of BA TATL @ MSY per where the origination is (US/MSY/LHR/EU)? How many pax on each flight come from where? That would be an interesting stat to compare MSY-BNA-AUS loads.
 
braniff2hav
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:04 pm

Anyone noticing what I see on the five trips out/in of the new terminal - how filthy the floors are e.g. dustbunnies galore, scuff marks, scratches, filthy baseboard areas, unkept bathrooms, overflowing trash cans in the f & b outlets (Chik-Fil-A the worst!). Also outside the exit doors heading to the parking, ride share, taxis there it's just filthy. Am I just OCD or is this all being ignored by the airport?
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:13 pm

SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
A new CONRAC is a ways off. Nothing will happen until the bonds used to build the current CONRAC facility are closer to being paid off. Current ride from terminal to CONRAC is equivalent to the rides at PHX and LAS at around 15 minutes.


This. I mean, having a walkable CONRAC was really nice but the shuttle is not a dealbreaker. I'm hoping when Bainbridge is renovated, some consideration should be given to widening Veterans the short distance from Bainbridge to the AAR and dedicating one lane in each direction to the shuttles. Even before the NT opened, Vets EB bottlenecked at times at the AAR light. A dedicated bus lane would allow the shuttles to fly past and give the trip a consistent timing.

Btw, IAHs CONRAC is also a healthy bus trip from the terminal area.



that wideniong of vets is literally all that needs to be done to solve that bottleneck.. not to mention it would be good for the local area and should have been done regardless of the new terminal
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:15 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
Anyone noticing what I see on the five trips out/in of the new terminal - how filthy the floors are e.g. dustbunnies galore, scuff marks, scratches, filthy baseboard areas, unkept bathrooms, overflowing trash cans in the f & b outlets (Chik-Fil-A the worst!). Also outside the exit doors heading to the parking, ride share, taxis there it's just filthy. Am I just OCD or is this all being ignored by the airport?



I noticed it too.. anyone here have contacts with the airport to ask what the hell kind of janitorial service they are hiring? also the white columns will never be clean unless they put those metal kick guards around them.. its just not going to stay clean unless you painted it daily.. its way too nice of an aiport for this kind of stuff to go on...

and i found myself last time there which was last week picking up trash myself lol at least i dont just complain and try to help.. but for goodness sakes add some trashcans if you arent going to empty them
 
braniff2hav
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:56 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:
Anyone noticing what I see on the five trips out/in of the new terminal - how filthy the floors are e.g. dustbunnies galore, scuff marks, scratches, filthy baseboard areas, unkept bathrooms, overflowing trash cans in the f & b outlets (Chik-Fil-A the worst!). Also outside the exit doors heading to the parking, ride share, taxis there it's just filthy. Am I just OCD or is this all being ignored by the airport?



I noticed it too.. anyone here have contacts with the airport to ask what the hell kind of janitorial service they are hiring? also the white columns will never be clean unless they put those metal kick guards around them.. its just not going to stay clean unless you painted it daily.. its way too nice of an aiport for this kind of stuff to go on...

and i found myself last time there which was last week picking up trash myself lol at least i dont just complain and try to help.. but for goodness sakes add some trashcans if you arent going to empty them



You are a better man than I.. I'm not cleaning up a public space after others. I will clean up after myself of course. BUT, it's almost as though they don't have a cleaning service. I thought after the first or second time it's just teething pains .. but on five visits. I wrote via Facebook about this matter and suggested some acrylic guards around the columns and high traffic surface areas. I hope they get it together because it is noticeable to others - not just me.
 
QB504
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:34 pm

Janitorial is bad and the concession workers are atrocious...worst Starbucks service in America, for certain. My only complaints.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:19 am

Govt. contracts always go to the lowest bidder. You get what you pay for. The current janitorial contract was awarded in May 2019 for a one year term.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:20 am

SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
Looks like the British are big fans of New Orleans. 5 out of 5 stars for tourist attractions and ease of getting around. Somehow 4 out of 5 for food and drink. Still, good news in terms of getting that BA flight up to daily status year round.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... fe75df7d55


Surprised MSY was at the very top, esp as there are many more seats flying to the other top cities from the UK. Was really surprised to see BNA down the list and AUS not at all, as they both have more UK nonstop capacity.

They key will be return visits. I think currently MSY is underserved by BA a little, with this kind of publicity a daily 788 surely would work in the future. But do we know the breakouts of BA TATL @ MSY per where the origination is (US/MSY/LHR/EU)? How many pax on each flight come from where? That would be an interesting stat to compare MSY-BNA-AUS loads.


Unfortunately, that data is something BA will be very unlikely to share anytime soon.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12836
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:31 am

SNN707 wrote:
Surprised MSY was at the very top, esp as there are many more seats flying to the other top cities from the UK.

This (non-scientific) ranking was qualitative, not quantitative.

If the latter was the case, then New York would win every time.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:43 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Govt. contracts always go to the lowest bidder. You get what you pay for. The current janitorial contract was awarded in May 2019 for a one year term.


Most contracts have SLA's (Service Level Agreements) that lay out what is expected of the vendor. I'm sure some of the things posted don't live up to the SLA, which could be grounds for early termination of the contract and/or withholding of compensation.

However, if the contract stipulates every 6 hours cleaning and a mess is made in 3 hours, the vendor could be fulfilling the contract and yet it still be a mess before the 6 hours. This one will rest with the lawyers, as usual.
 
Nola
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 1:40 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:55 pm

I’ve noticed that the terminal seems dirty—they NOAB needs to get on top of it quickly. What I haven’t encountered is a bottleneck getting into and out of the airport. Maybe it’s been the times I’ve been flying.

The biggest problem I’ve encountered, though, besides the narrow walkways from security to B and C, is how small the SkyClub is. Way too small.
 
mortkork
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:53 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:34 pm

I am currently sitting in the new terminal and note one obvious defect. We just came off the cruise ship with a couple thousand others and are in that limbo time. It is a couple hours too early to check our bags but not enough time to go into the city or easily store our things. There is absolutely nowhere to sit. It looks like there are a thousand well dressed homeless people laying on the floor. I need a cardboard sign that says “will work for Pinot Noir”.
 
mortkork
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:53 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:35 pm

I am currently sitting in the new terminal and note one obvious defect. We just came off the cruise ship with a couple thousand others and are in that limbo time. It is a couple hours too early to check our bags but not enough time to go into the city or easily store our things. There is absolutely nowhere to sit. It looks like there are a thousand well dressed homeless people laying on the floor. I need a cardboard sign that says “will work for Pinot Noir”.
 
CMHtraveler
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:43 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
2019 review:

8. WN added CUN service, but ended service to SMF, BOS, CLE, and CMH.


WN seasonal 1x weekly CMH-MSY service is operating through March 1 as usual. In fact, WN 2645 is getting ready to depart as I type:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA ... /KCMH/KMSY

In April after WN seasonal service ends, NK begins seasonal 3x weekly CMH-MSY service through June. I’m hoping I didn’t miss an announcement that WN was discontinuing seasonal service, and that either WN or NK goes daily on the route in the near future.
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:21 pm

mortkork wrote:
I am currently sitting in the new terminal and note one obvious defect. We just came off the cruise ship with a couple thousand others and are in that limbo time. It is a couple hours too early to check our bags but not enough time to go into the city or easily store our things. There is absolutely nowhere to sit. It looks like there are a thousand well dressed homeless people laying on the floor. I need a cardboard sign that says “will work for Pinot Noir”.


That has been a point of dispute among MSY posters. Some agree with your view and some say its typical of airports everywhere at peak times. I think its somewhere in between.

That being said, Concourse A isn't currently used as much during daylight hours and has space to spread out. Its convenient to B but a hike from C. Also, for some pax there is the DL SkyClub and soon to open UA Club (both in C), and The Club at MSY (in A, opening late Jan - where I will be waiting).

I wonder if eventually a large hold room will be built off the east end of the terminal by the SkyClub. Can't think of anywhere else extra seating capacity could be added over there.

I think this may pose a problem at times for the food and bar establishments as ppl will just sit there and wait, denying patrons the ability to eat at a table.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm

CMHtraveler wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
2019 review:

8. WN added CUN service, but ended service to SMF, BOS, CLE, and CMH.


WN seasonal 1x weekly CMH-MSY service is operating through March 1 as usual. In fact, WN 2645 is getting ready to depart as I type:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA ... /KCMH/KMSY

In April after WN seasonal service ends, NK begins seasonal 3x weekly CMH-MSY service through June. I’m hoping I didn’t miss an announcement that WN was discontinuing seasonal service, and that either WN or NK goes daily on the route in the near future.


Glad to see it's back. It wasn't showing up on the destinations listing when I was typing that up.
 
Atlwarrior
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:42 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:57 pm

Does anyone know what aircraft Delta is using for the Vikings NFL charter today?
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:38 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:
Does anyone know what aircraft Delta is using for the Vikings NFL charter today?


https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KMSY/KMSP
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:42 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Looks like the British are big fans of New Orleans. 5 out of 5 stars for tourist attractions and ease of getting around. Somehow 4 out of 5 for food and drink. Still, good news in terms of getting that BA flight up to daily status year round.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... fe75df7d55


Looking at that survey chart on NOLA being the top UK longhaul destination in the world - note the avg fare quoted (£672 or $886). This is substantially higher that all other US gateways listed except BNA (about same).

It's also higher than every other fare except AUS/NZ/distant S.America destinations - really long haul. The survey didn't mention airline but I'm sure a goodly % is BA and I'm presuming its nonstop flights on which the pollsters were selected. We knew BA's fares from MSY were on the high side but with historically good LF's, pax are obviously ponying up.

Which still makes me wonder why not daily yet? I'm sure yields would suffer short run but on a 788 the extra capacity would quickly grow as now you make every day work for travel plans. I guess right now BA has no direct year round nonstop competition to the UK and Europe, so yields are everything. 2021 will be interesting, esp if DE fails, will CDG on someone or EW/newname to FRA happen?

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/12/30 ... 657087.jpg
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:59 am

SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
Looks like the British are big fans of New Orleans. 5 out of 5 stars for tourist attractions and ease of getting around. Somehow 4 out of 5 for food and drink. Still, good news in terms of getting that BA flight up to daily status year round.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... fe75df7d55


Looking at that survey chart on NOLA being the top UK longhaul destination in the world - note the avg fare quoted (£672 or $886). This is substantially higher that all other US gateways listed except BNA (about same).

It's also higher than every other fare except AUS/NZ/distant S.America destinations - really long haul. The survey didn't mention airline but I'm sure a goodly % is BA and I'm presuming its nonstop flights on which the pollsters were selected. We knew BA's fares from MSY were on the high side but with historically good LF's, pax are obviously ponying up.

Which still makes me wonder why not daily yet? I'm sure yields would suffer short run but on a 788 the extra capacity would quickly grow as now you make every day work for travel plans. I guess right now BA has no direct year round nonstop competition to the UK and Europe, so yields are everything. 2021 will be interesting, esp if DE fails, will CDG on someone or EW/newname to FRA happen?

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/12/30 ... 657087.jpg


BA could easily go daily on the flight, but for some reason has opted not to. At least it will be 6x weekly starting in a couple of months. We will have to wait and see what the future holds for DE. I hope they find a buyer and continue to serve MSY for many more years.
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:47 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
Looks like the British are big fans of New Orleans. 5 out of 5 stars for tourist attractions and ease of getting around. Somehow 4 out of 5 for food and drink. Still, good news in terms of getting that BA flight up to daily status year round.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... fe75df7d55


Looking at that survey chart on NOLA being the top UK longhaul destination in the world - note the avg fare quoted (£672 or $886). This is substantially higher that all other US gateways listed except BNA (about same).

It's also higher than every other fare except AUS/NZ/distant S.America destinations - really long haul. The survey didn't mention airline but I'm sure a goodly % is BA and I'm presuming its nonstop flights on which the pollsters were selected. We knew BA's fares from MSY were on the high side but with historically good LF's, pax are obviously ponying up.

Which still makes me wonder why not daily yet? I'm sure yields would suffer short run but on a 788 the extra capacity would quickly grow as now you make every day work for travel plans. I guess right now BA has no direct year round nonstop competition to the UK and Europe, so yields are everything. 2021 will be interesting, esp if DE fails, will CDG on someone or EW/newname to FRA happen?

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/12/30 ... 657087.jpg


BA could easily go daily on the flight, but for some reason has opted not to. At least it will be 6x weekly starting in a couple of months. We will have to wait and see what the future holds for DE. I hope they find a buyer and continue to serve MSY for many more years.


I just saw this today on BA possibly starting longhaul from MAN using 787s, and how it may affect MSY.

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/rumour ... l-flights/

Good = 788s to MAN, upgauge for MSY

Bad = 789s to MAN, status quo for MSY

With PDX coming on, and this, hopefully there will be enough available metal.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12836
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:13 am

SNN707 wrote:
Looking at that survey chart on NOLA being the top UK longhaul destination in the world - note the avg fare quoted (£672 or $886). This is substantially higher that all other US gateways listed except BNA (about same).

Key word there being "listed," and of course keep in mind that the graphic in question doesn't specify airline or routing.

But in terms of a nonstop on BA, there's some gateways (notably SAN, IAH, and the AA hubs) that are of a significantly higher yield for BA than MSY.... which still however holds its own, in about the same yield league as ORD and LAS for them.

You can also very clearly see why OAK and FLL failed for them.

Image
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:18 am

LAX772LR wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
Looking at that survey chart on NOLA being the top UK longhaul destination in the world - note the avg fare quoted (£672 or $886). This is substantially higher that all other US gateways listed except BNA (about same).

Key word there being "listed," and of course keep in mind that the graphic in question doesn't specify airline or routing.

But in terms of a nonstop on BA, there's some gateways (notably SAN, IAH, and the AA hubs) that are of a significantly higher yield for BA than MSY.... which still however holds its own, in about the same yield league as ORD and LAS for them.

You can also very clearly see why OAK and FLL failed for them.

Image


This survey kind of has me head scratching - NOLA hotel room avg is higher than Singapore and Tokyo? I'm wondering how they came to those fare and room numbers. The BA US fare chart seems to be much more realistic. And AUS and SAN not on the list at all, despite having BA 747 service at one time (and SAN is a pretty nice place)? We'll take it though, better than coming in last.

Just trying to figure out why BA is moving slowly going to daily/upgauge at MSY despite apparent good numbers, and surveys like this. It's probably coming soon, just have to be patient.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:32 pm

An RFP is out for the airport to hire a service that provides live passenger counts at several areas of the airport so people can get live estimated wait times for things like wait times for security, tsa, customs etc... think thats a useful service to have.


Also, I was thinking the airport should have an app that or text number where you can report servicing needs like overfull trashcans etc... think could help with cleanliness
 
User avatar
BA744PHX
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:42 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:59 pm

SNN707 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
Looking at that survey chart on NOLA being the top UK longhaul destination in the world - note the avg fare quoted (£672 or $886). This is substantially higher that all other US gateways listed except BNA (about same).

Key word there being "listed," and of course keep in mind that the graphic in question doesn't specify airline or routing.

But in terms of a nonstop on BA, there's some gateways (notably SAN, IAH, and the AA hubs) that are of a significantly higher yield for BA than MSY.... which still however holds its own, in about the same yield league as ORD and LAS for them.

You can also very clearly see why OAK and FLL failed for them.

Image


This survey kind of has me head scratching - NOLA hotel room avg is higher than Singapore and Tokyo? I'm wondering how they came to those fare and room numbers. The BA US fare chart seems to be much more realistic. And AUS and SAN not on the list at all, despite having BA 747 service at one time (and SAN is a pretty nice place)? We'll take it though, better than coming in last.

Just trying to figure out why BA is moving slowly going to daily/upgauge at MSY despite apparent good numbers, and surveys like this. It's probably coming soon, just have to be patient.

SAN is on the top right of the chart and AUS is next to CUN/IAH

I'm surprised to see PHX so high with both BA & AA, SAN is doing great fare wise
UA Gold 2020
Upcoming flights
UA EWR-BCN/MAD, FR BCN-MAK, IB MAK-MAD - January
UA EWR-LHR, EWR-YYZ - February
 
Nola
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 1:40 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:03 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
An RFP is out for the airport to hire a service that provides live passenger counts at several areas of the airport so people can get live estimated wait times for things like wait times for security, tsa, customs etc... think thats a useful service to have.


Also, I was thinking the airport should have an app that or text number where you can report servicing needs like overfull trashcans etc... think could help with cleanliness



They're supposed to have that information in the garages also, but last Friday the system in the long term garage wasn't operational.
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:55 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Key word there being "listed," and of course keep in mind that the graphic in question doesn't specify airline or routing.

But in terms of a nonstop on BA, there's some gateways (notably SAN, IAH, and the AA hubs) that are of a significantly higher yield for BA than MSY.... which still however holds its own, in about the same yield league as ORD and LAS for them.

You can also very clearly see why OAK and FLL failed for them.

Image


This survey kind of has me head scratching - NOLA hotel room avg is higher than Singapore and Tokyo? I'm wondering how they came to those fare and room numbers. The BA US fare chart seems to be much more realistic. And AUS and SAN not on the list at all, despite having BA 747 service at one time (and SAN is a pretty nice place)? We'll take it though, better than coming in last.

Just trying to figure out why BA is moving slowly going to daily/upgauge at MSY despite apparent good numbers, and surveys like this. It's probably coming soon, just have to be patient.

SAN is on the top right of the chart and AUS is next to CUN/IAH

I'm surprised to see PHX so high with both BA & AA, SAN is doing great fare wise


BA744PHX, I wasn't referring to SAN and AUS not being on the avg fare chart, I was referring to them not being listed on the UK traveller survey which shows NOLA as being the top longhaul destination for UK travelers.
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:02 pm

An article just posted saying DE will be leasing two 767s from Omni Air (just header, its behind a paywall).

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ummer-2020

This does not make sense for the MSY route, because Omni does not have true lieflat J seats (they're worse than DE's current seat), however DE is selling lieflats out of MSY. My guess is they're having to lease a lot of planes this summer and the Omni planes are for other routes. I'm still putting my money on EuroAtlantic flying the MSY-FRA route this summer.
 
User avatar
BA744PHX
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:42 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:13 pm

SNN707 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

This survey kind of has me head scratching - NOLA hotel room avg is higher than Singapore and Tokyo? I'm wondering how they came to those fare and room numbers. The BA US fare chart seems to be much more realistic. And AUS and SAN not on the list at all, despite having BA 747 service at one time (and SAN is a pretty nice place)? We'll take it though, better than coming in last.

Just trying to figure out why BA is moving slowly going to daily/upgauge at MSY despite apparent good numbers, and surveys like this. It's probably coming soon, just have to be patient.

SAN is on the top right of the chart and AUS is next to CUN/IAH

I'm surprised to see PHX so high with both BA & AA, SAN is doing great fare wise


BA744PHX, I wasn't referring to SAN and AUS not being on the avg fare chart, I was referring to them not being listed on the UK traveller survey which shows NOLA as being the top longhaul destination for UK travelers.


Ah got it! :)
UA Gold 2020
Upcoming flights
UA EWR-BCN/MAD, FR BCN-MAK, IB MAK-MAD - January
UA EWR-LHR, EWR-YYZ - February
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12836
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:23 am

BA744PHX wrote:
I'm surprised to see PHX so high with both BA & AA

These data are nearly a year old, BA and AA weren't both on the route at the time the information was compiled; that, and seeing as they function as one airline in this regard, it'd just be a question of capacity-to-demand, even if they were.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
SNN707
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:03 pm

Airbus has announced it is expanding its Mobile assembly facility to build 7 planes monthly.

https://www.flightglobal.com/aerospace/ ... 69.article

With the MAX situation, this may just be the beginning. Will MSY benefit from this? Obviously there will be more Airbus ppl flying into Mobile and the need for smaller critical and expensive components that require air delivery.

I just don't see MOB ramping up requiring a connection somewhere, when MSY has nonstop service just about everywhere domestically. Would be a great time to start service to CDG, non?
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:56 pm

SNN707 wrote:
Airbus has announced it is expanding its Mobile assembly facility to build 7 planes monthly.

https://www.flightglobal.com/aerospace/ ... 69.article

With the MAX situation, this may just be the beginning. Will MSY benefit from this? Obviously there will be more Airbus ppl flying into Mobile and the need for smaller critical and expensive components that require air delivery.

I just don't see MOB ramping up requiring a connection somewhere, when MSY has nonstop service just about everywhere domestically. Would be a great time to start service to CDG, non?


Great for the central Gulf Coast in general, but I don't see Airbus corporate traffic driving 3 hours to MSY from MOB. Much easier to connect through ATL to CDG for Airbus corporate traffic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos