Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 18
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:18 am

Anyone have any info on possibly a new concourse or an expansion maybe? I was looking through PHL master plan and saw at one time they planned for an eastern commuter terminal. Seems like that has gone out the window, but could there possibly be some expansion?
 
TheFlyGuy
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:45 am

Looks like AA has added a second daily flight to YHZ beginning August 18th, which I’m assuming indicates bookings are strong. Would love to see AA return to operating this route year round.
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:54 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Anyone have any info on possibly a new concourse or an expansion maybe? I was looking through PHL master plan and saw at one time they planned for an eastern commuter terminal. Seems like that has gone out the window, but could there possibly be some expansion?

I feel like they moved away from that master plan for now. Terminal D is not even at Max capacity. Maybe Terminal E. So American can still grow a lot. The people mover needs needs to be real though
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Frontier adds PHL- BOS/LAX/ORD.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/frontier- ... ew-routes/

I think AA may counter.
 
aerace
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:08 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:14 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Frontier adds PHL- BOS/LAX/ORD.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/frontier- ... ew-routes/

I think AA may counter.


All seasonals which I think is a bit silly if you ask me. But Frontier gonna Frontier. Wouldn't be surprised if they all go year round.
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:16 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Frontier adds PHL- BOS/LAX/ORD.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/frontier- ... ew-routes/

I think AA may counter.


I was just about to post this same article too lol. Good adds IMO but I'm curious on the LAX add only because a few months ago I remember Frontier quote as saying in general the longest flight they have is PHL to LAS because of capacity constraints with larger amount of seats their aircraft have. I wonder what's different this time. None the less I do agree AA will retaliate some how.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Frontier adds PHL- BOS/LAX/ORD.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/frontier- ... ew-routes/

I think AA may counter.


That BOS route sure is crowded. With AA, DL and B6. Looking at 30 times daily to Boston?

Doubt AA would respond to any of busy routes.
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:22 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Frontier adds PHL- BOS/LAX/ORD.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/frontier- ... ew-routes/

I think AA may counter.


I was just about to post this same article too lol. Good adds IMO but I'm curious on the LAX add only because a few months ago I remember Frontier quote as saying in general the longest flight they have is PHL to LAS because of capacity constraints with larger amount of seats their aircraft have. I wonder what's different this time. None the less I do agree AA will retaliate some how.


The A320Neo should have the capability of making the mission. Those engines are something else.
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:24 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Frontier adds PHL- BOS/LAX/ORD.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/frontier- ... ew-routes/

I think AA may counter.


I was just about to post this same article too lol. Good adds IMO but I'm curious on the LAX add only because a few months ago I remember Frontier quote as saying in general the longest flight they have is PHL to LAS because of capacity constraints with larger amount of seats their aircraft have. I wonder what's different this time. None the less I do agree AA will retaliate some how.


The A320Neo should have the capability of making the mission. Those engines are something else.


Yea true obvisiously F9 know what they are doing. LAX route is a good add tho since Alaska Air pulled out. BOS will be interesting tho with so much capacity as others stated
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
lowfareair
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:32 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Anyone have any info on possibly a new concourse or an expansion maybe? I was looking through PHL master plan and saw at one time they planned for an eastern commuter terminal. Seems like that has gone out the window, but could there possibly be some expansion?

I feel like they moved away from that master plan for now. Terminal D is not even at Max capacity. Maybe Terminal E. So American can still grow a lot. The people mover needs needs to be real though


If anything, I would see them upgauging some F gates to more easily handle E75s and adding jetways to the southern side if possible. Currently 37 gates for 180 ERJ/CR7/CR9 departures last summer, so 20-30 E75 flights could be offloaded there before straining capacity for their 6 banks.

On the int'l side, I've mentioned it before, but an A-Far West could be built where the current hardstands are (H-1 to H-3). Replace the blue cargo building with a satellite terminal for 4 gates, add the United/AA Cargo buildings for an additional 5, or knock it all down with International Plaza (relocating cargo services to the newly acquired land on the west side of the airport) and put in a full 2nd international terminal.

If they went for just a small satellite terminal, it could be operated seasonally, such as May-October during peak Europe travel.

Essentially, the airport owns a lot more land than it appears, shuffling to add more passenger terminals/gates is not a difficult task, although it would require relocating other items.

EDIT: Also forgot to add that US used to have 8 banks here instead of 6 (early morning and later at night). AA could easily increase capcity 25-30% on the domestic side by going back to 8 banks, or removing banks entirely. They can also add a 2nd international bank where some flights arrive at 6pm and depart at 9pm, alleviating the stress during the int'l evening peak.
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:04 pm

So I did dummy bookings for all 3 new flights for F9 and here's the following I found:

PHL-ORD 9:30 AM - 11:02 AM
ORD-PHL 5:20 AM - 8:30 AM

PHL-BOS 7:20 AM - 8:50 AM
BOS-PHL 9:31 AM - 11:16 AM

PHL-LAX 6:25 PM - 9:37 PM
LAX-PHL 11:15 PM - 7:37 AM
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
F9LASDEN
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:33 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
So I did dummy bookings for all 3 new flights for F9 and here's the following I found:

PHL-ORD 9:30 AM - 11:02 AM
ORD-PHL 5:20 AM - 8:30 AM

PHL-BOS 7:20 AM - 8:50 AM
BOS-PHL 9:31 AM - 11:16 AM

PHL-LAX 6:25 PM - 9:37 PM
LAX-PHL 11:15 PM - 7:37 AM


Equipment slated to be used on each route:

PHL-ORD: A321
PHL-BOS: A319
PHL-LAX: A320
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:23 pm

lowfareair wrote:
If anything, I would see them upgauging some F gates to more easily handle E75s and adding jetways to the southern side if possible. Currently 37 gates for 180 ERJ/CR7/CR9 departures last summer, so 20-30 E75 flights could be offloaded there before straining capacity for their 6 banks.

On the int'l side, I've mentioned it before, but an A-Far West could be built where the current hardstands are (H-1 to H-3). Replace the blue cargo building with a satellite terminal for 4 gates, add the United/AA Cargo buildings for an additional 5, or knock it all down with International Plaza (relocating cargo services to the newly acquired land on the west side of the airport) and put in a full 2nd international terminal.

If they went for just a small satellite terminal, it could be operated seasonally, such as May-October during peak Europe travel.

Essentially, the airport owns a lot more land than it appears, shuffling to add more passenger terminals/gates is not a difficult task, although it would require relocating other items.

EDIT: Also forgot to add that US used to have 8 banks here instead of 6 (early morning and later at night). AA could easily increase capcity 25-30% on the domestic side by going back to 8 banks, or removing banks entirely. They can also add a 2nd international bank where some flights arrive at 6pm and depart at 9pm, alleviating the stress during the int'l evening peak.


Definitely adding gates to the south side of terminal F capable of E175 would be a good start. I don't know of regional jets would get bigger than like say a A220-100.

Well PHL is building a new cargo facility on the new land. I don't know that means if the blue cargo building will be transferred over of the new cargo building.

Figured AA can increase the banks up to 8 times first. Though I beg for more space in terminal B and C. Wish B, C, and D was rebuilt taller for more space.
 
bridge29
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:31 pm

aerace wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Frontier adds PHL- BOS/LAX/ORD.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/frontier- ... ew-routes/

I think AA may counter.


All seasonals which I think is a bit silly if you ask me. But Frontier gonna Frontier. Wouldn't be surprised if they all go year round.


Seasonal makes sense. You don't think they could make more money with all three planes going to Florida in the winter?
 
aerace
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:08 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:03 pm

bridge29 wrote:
aerace wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Frontier adds PHL- BOS/LAX/ORD.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/frontier- ... ew-routes/

I think AA may counter.


All seasonals which I think is a bit silly if you ask me. But Frontier gonna Frontier. Wouldn't be surprised if they all go year round.


Seasonal makes sense. You don't think they could make more money with all three planes going to Florida in the winter?


If it's a situation of lack of planes then sure. However, all of these destinations are in PHL's top 10 so I would have thought that if F9 is working to cement their place here, they would be year round on these routes. AS dropped LAX so I am particularly surprised here.
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:38 pm

aerace wrote:
bridge29 wrote:
aerace wrote:

All seasonals which I think is a bit silly if you ask me. But Frontier gonna Frontier. Wouldn't be surprised if they all go year round.


Seasonal makes sense. You don't think they could make more money with all three planes going to Florida in the winter?


If it's a situation of lack of planes then sure. However, all of these destinations are in PHL's top 10 so I would have thought that if F9 is working to cement their place here, they would be year round on these routes. AS dropped LAX so I am particularly surprised here.


In regards to AS IMO I think they dropped the route because they were middle of the pack for pricing were either AA loyalist would fly on American or people looking for a dirt cheap fare would take NK. F9 will obviously compete more with NK for pricing but I wouldn't be surprise if NK adds a second daily LAX route if they haven't done so already.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:45 pm

With AA ordering 50 A321XLR’s how many do you think will be based from PHL? If I had to assume it would be between

PHL- 15-20
LAX- 0
JFK- 0-5
ORD- 5-10
MIA- 5-10
CLT- 10-15
DFW- 0-5
PHX- 5-10
 
dfw88
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:20 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
With AA ordering 50 A321XLR’s how many do you think will be based from PHL? If I had to assume it would be between

PHL- 15-20
LAX- 0
JFK- 0-5
ORD- 5-10
MIA- 5-10
CLT- 10-15
DFW- 0-5
PHX- 5-10


When they ordered them, AA stated that they would mostly be focused between PHL and JFK. I'm sure they'll bleed over into other hubs (particularly MIA with the end of the LATAM deal), but most should be based up in the northeast.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:32 pm

dfw88 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
With AA ordering 50 A321XLR’s how many do you think will be based from PHL? If I had to assume it would be between

PHL- 15-20
LAX- 0
JFK- 0-5
ORD- 5-10
MIA- 5-10
CLT- 10-15
DFW- 0-5
PHX- 5-10


When they ordered them, AA stated that they would mostly be focused between PHL and JFK. I'm sure they'll bleed over into other hubs (particularly MIA with the end of the LATAM deal), but most should be based up in the northeast.


Would around 20-25 to be based at PHL be too crazy then? I can’t see JFK getting much.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:27 pm

Just did quite a few dummy bookings almost all of AA’s transatlantic routes selling well. I chose multiple days of the week through July. It seems their secondary Europe routes work the best!
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:02 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Just did quite a few dummy bookings almost all of AA’s transatlantic routes selling well. I chose multiple days of the week through July. It seems their secondary Europe routes work the best!


I agree I did some dummy booking for CMN outbound In the past and seats are filling up nicely which is a awesome sign.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
BENFRANKLIN
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:34 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:09 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Just did quite a few dummy bookings almost all of AA’s transatlantic routes selling well. I chose multiple days of the week through July. It seems their secondary Europe routes work the best!


I agree I did some dummy booking for CMN outbound In the past and seats are filling up nicely which is a awesome sign.

Great to hear. I’m certain phl >tlv will happen within the next year. Very large Jewish population in the tri-state area. Would be nice to see it on LY metal , but that’s a long shot. Seems like AA is making it happen with all the new TATL routes. I think they should give DEL or MUM a try (seasonal) to start .
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:48 pm

BENFRANKLIN wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Just did quite a few dummy bookings almost all of AA’s transatlantic routes selling well. I chose multiple days of the week through July. It seems their secondary Europe routes work the best!


I agree I did some dummy booking for CMN outbound In the past and seats are filling up nicely which is a awesome sign.

Great to hear. I’m certain phl >tlv will happen within the next year. Very large Jewish population in the tri-state area. Would be nice to see it on LY metal , but that’s a long shot. Seems like AA is making it happen with all the new TATL routes. I think they should give DEL or MUM a try (seasonal) to start .


I know Vasu was quoted as saying if the DFW-TLV route works out then they’ll look to expand TLV service between JFK, PHL, or MIA (no specific time frame). Yea I’d love service to be on LY as well but I doubt PHL is on their radar.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:34 pm

It would be great to see LY at PHL but as others said it's unlikely plus they currently serve EWR. Though I can see AA serve TLV from PHL once they get more B787.

Also saw A330 serving PHX? Quite an upgagde, any reason? Is it serving Hawaii flights?
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:35 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
It would be great to see LY at PHL but as others said it's unlikely plus they currently serve EWR. Though I can see AA serve TLV from PHL once they get more B787.

Also saw A330 serving PHX? Quite an upgagde, any reason? Is it serving Hawaii flights?


In regards to Phoenix up gauge here’s the schedule from Routesonline

AA742 PHL1800 – 2133PHX 333 D
AA1658 PHX2310 – 0521+1PHL 333 D

So doubt it’s for Hawaii service. Possible for utilization of the aircraft as someone the Phoenix thread mention that the aircraft is used coming from LHR-PHL and would have 16hrs on ground before going to San Juan next day. So my guess is that’s the reason.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
flyboy7974
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:35 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:09 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
It would be great to see LY at PHL but as others said it's unlikely plus they currently serve EWR. Though I can see AA serve TLV from PHL once they get more B787.

Also saw A330 serving PHX? Quite an upgagde, any reason? Is it serving Hawaii flights?


In regards to Phoenix up gauge here’s the schedule from Routesonline

AA742 PHL1800 – 2133PHX 333 D
AA1658 PHX2310 – 0521+1PHL 333 D

So doubt it’s for Hawaii service. Possible for utilization of the aircraft as someone the Phoenix thread mention that the aircraft is used coming from LHR-PHL and would have 16hrs on ground before going to San Juan next day. So my guess is that’s the reason.



The A333 on PHLPHX is only scheduled to operate about two weeks once it starts.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 pm

If the wiki is accurate than PHL hit 33 million pax in 2019!
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:21 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
If the wiki is accurate than PHL hit 33 million pax in 2019!


That's amazing if true. High hopes for keeping at 33 million for 2020
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:23 pm

Does the hardstands on the east side of runway 17-35 get used for boarding and deplaning at all?
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:43 pm

34 million does not seem to far fetched with the current growth rate, F9, UA, and NK are all adding seats next year, is the same true for AA?
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:49 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
34 million does not seem to far fetched with the current growth rate, F9, UA, and NK are all adding seats next year, is the same true for AA?

I agree with F9 and NK adding seats. Didn't know UA was adding more seats besides the IAD route. Terminal E must be packed with B6, F9, NK all increasing seat count. I think recently B6 added the A320 for the morning BOS route. AA should be growing as AA is continuing to route passengers through PHL.
 
lowfareair
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:05 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Does the hardstands on the east side of runway 17-35 get used for boarding and deplaning at all?


I've never seen them used and I wouldn't expect to for the foreseeable future. I have no idea if vehicles could cross runways with pax in them (honestly have no clue on that one), and it is so far from the only place that really needs it at the moment, Terminal A, that I think it would be a logistical nightmare to activate those for airline use.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:20 pm

Although not the final schedule tentatively AA will have 434 departures on a weekday this summer. This is an increase of 17 compared to last year along with a higher mainline % (43% or around 11 more mainline flights). Should be a good year for PHL!
 
usairways85
Posts: 4158
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:21 pm

The official numbers have been posted on PHL.org.

December Traffic Numbers
Domestic
Month: +7.7% YTD: +4.5%
International
Month: -5.3% YTD: +1.9%
Total
Month: +6.2% YTD: +4.2%
2019 Paxs: 33,018,886

Total Cargo (Mail + Freight)
Month: +13.3% YTD: +9.4%
2019 Total Cargo: 607,500 tons
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:10 am

usairways85 wrote:
The official numbers have been posted on PHL.org.

December Traffic Numbers
Domestic
Month: +7.7% YTD: +4.5%
International
Month: -5.3% YTD: +1.9%
Total
Month: +6.2% YTD: +4.2%
2019 Paxs: 33,018,886

Total Cargo (Mail + Freight)
Month: +13.3% YTD: +9.4%
2019 Total Cargo: 607,500 tons

Yay for the 33 million! Super exciting. Also the cargo with is great too. Hoping for more besides UPS

Though that international hit again. Has to do with American taking away one LHR flight? Though BA has been filling in with the 787 or 777 granted not daily
 
User avatar
PacoMartin
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:33 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Yay for the 33 million!


ABE is a nearly empty airport just 55 miles northwest of PHL. Splitting 55 miles in half the relative populations are:
1,251,272 population 28 miles from ABE airport
4,927,895 population 28 miles from PHL airport

ABE is dominated by Allegiant Air. Other than Allegiant only Delta flies a daily B717 from Atlanta. The rest of the traffic is regional airlines (PSA, SkyWest, Endeavor, and Piedmont) flying to ATL, PHL, ORD, CLT, and DTW.

ABE will be lucky to carry 1 million passengers in 2019.
 
BENFRANKLIN
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:34 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:01 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
The official numbers have been posted on PHL.org.

December Traffic Numbers
Domestic
Month: +7.7% YTD: +4.5%
International
Month: -5.3% YTD: +1.9%
Total
Month: +6.2% YTD: +4.2%
2019 Paxs: 33,018,886

Total Cargo (Mail + Freight)
Month: +13.3% YTD: +9.4%
2019 Total Cargo: 607,500 tons

Yay for the 33 million! Super exciting. Also the cargo with is great too. Hoping for more besides UPS

Though that international hit again. Has to do with American taking away one LHR flight? Though BA has been filling in with the 787 or 777 granted not daily

With the holidays in December It doesn’t surprise me international would be down . I would like to think folks are flying domestically to be with family.
 
steeler83
Posts: 7700
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:53 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Yay for the 33 million!


ABE is a nearly empty airport just 55 miles northwest of PHL. Splitting 55 miles in half the relative populations are:
1,251,272 population 28 miles from ABE airport
4,927,895 population 28 miles from PHL airport

ABE is dominated by Allegiant Air. Other than Allegiant only Delta flies a daily B717 from Atlanta. The rest of the traffic is regional airlines (PSA, SkyWest, Endeavor, and Piedmont) flying to ATL, PHL, ORD, CLT, and DTW.

ABE will be lucky to carry 1 million passengers in 2019.

And I flew Allegiant on ABE-SFD. It was my first time on Allegiant, and my first time on an MD80. It was somewhat disheartening to see that easily 90 percent of the commercial ops were all regional operated. Back in the days of US having their PIT hub, I remember there being many 732, DC9/MD80, and Fokker F100 equipment flying between the two airports. I remember my mom flying to Allentown and back the same day on a 732 when she worked for Marsh and went to a meeting with a client in Allentown.

Back to PHL, anyone here think they'll hit 500 daily flights within the next year or two?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.
 
User avatar
PacoMartin
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:02 pm

steeler83 wrote:
And I flew Allegiant on ABE-SFB. It was my first time on Allegiant, and my first time on an MD80.

Allegiant began operations in Dec 2005 flying to SFB outside of Orlando. ABE has now become the single most popular destinations from SFB.

Now Allegiant has basically the only full size jets other than that single B717 that flies to ATL daily. I know passenger loads at PHL go up and down in the last few years, but it would be nice if American would give us a connection to MIA or DFW at least once a day so we feel like we are part of the nationwide network again. It's annoying to fly 55 miles to PHL just to fly to DFW.

PHL Passenger boardings according to BTS (US and foreign carriers)
year domestic international total
2018 13,345,341 1,914,750 15,260,091
2017 12,492,316 1,761,663 14,253,979
2016 12,736,672 1,811,274 14,547,946
2015 13,089,866 1,962,962 15,052,828
2014 12,791,128 1,952,352 14,743,480
2013 12,753,499 1,943,612 14,697,111
2012 12,698,222 1,857,199 14,555,421
2011 12,963,448 1,887,307 14,850,755
2010 13,051,944 1,874,101 14,926,045
2009 13,144,542 1,838,158 14,982,700
2008 13,745,620 1,822,868 15,568,488
2007 13,856,988 1,782,897 15,639,885
Last edited by PacoMartin on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
usairways85
Posts: 4158
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:07 pm

AA shrunk the number of flights at PHL to maximize revenue and send connections elsewhere. This was done by eliminating two banks (IIRC) and upgauging aircraft. The upgauging continues. With US, PHL was regularly around 475+. AA has stated the desire to route more North - South connections through PHL, but I do not see them adding 100+ flights to PHL in a short time frame.
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:08 am

I thought that CLT serve better as a North South hub while PHL is hybrid hub. Like today. The tri state area loves to travel to Florida. I guess it makes sense that AA makes this a North South hub. Wonder how many more Florida destinations that's missing from the map.
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:15 pm

From The Flight Deck - Philadelphia, PA (PHL)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_YrIh40AAg

Thought this is a video by the FAA was nice to learn about PHL taxiways.
Runway 8-26 should be disabled, doesn't really do much to relief the main traffic off the other runways.
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:02 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphi ... c-and.html

Quick article on PHL's top domestic and international destinations
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:14 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
From The Flight Deck - Philadelphia, PA (PHL)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_YrIh40AAg

Thought this is a video by the FAA was nice to learn about PHL taxiways.
Runway 8-26 should be disabled, doesn't really do much to relief the main traffic off the other runways.


Thanks for sharing the video. I agree I've rarely seen that runway used at all.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2020/02/12/here-are-phls-top-nonstopdomestic-and.html

Quick article on PHL's top domestic and international destinations

Not surprising MCO is the top domestic destination, which is why I ask B6 is not taking a risk for some market share. I see why PHL will become a NorthSouth hub. Wonder if anyone else is going to enter the PHL-LAX market.

Questioning why DOH is not on the top ten in International travel also FRA as well.

Thanks for posting!
 
lowfareair
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:47 pm

BENFRANKLIN wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
The official numbers have been posted on PHL.org.

December Traffic Numbers
Domestic
Month: +7.7% YTD: +4.5%
International
Month: -5.3% YTD: +1.9%
Total
Month: +6.2% YTD: +4.2%
2019 Paxs: 33,018,886

Total Cargo (Mail + Freight)
Month: +13.3% YTD: +9.4%
2019 Total Cargo: 607,500 tons

Yay for the 33 million! Super exciting. Also the cargo with is great too. Hoping for more besides UPS

Though that international hit again. Has to do with American taking away one LHR flight? Though BA has been filling in with the 787 or 777 granted not daily

With the holidays in December It doesn’t surprise me international would be down . I would like to think folks are flying domestically to be with family.


I **think** that the month change refers to the change over the same month last year, not the change vs the prior month. So holidays being in December shouldn't make a difference when we are comparing Dec 2019 to Dec 2018, although it would make a difference when comparing Easter 2019 with Easter 2018.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:50 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2020/02/12/here-are-phls-top-nonstopdomestic-and.html

Quick article on PHL's top domestic and international destinations

Not surprising MCO is the top domestic destination, which is why I ask B6 is not taking a risk for some market share. I see why PHL will become a NorthSouth hub. Wonder if anyone else is going to enter the PHL-LAX market.

Questioning why DOH is not on the top ten in International travel also FRA as well.

Thanks for posting!


Also is LHR and CUN that small? If I’m doing the math correctly it works out to be around 246,740 And 190,530 people annually. I should be able to verify these numbers more accurately tomorrow.
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:58 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2020/02/12/here-are-phls-top-nonstopdomestic-and.html

Quick article on PHL's top domestic and international destinations

Not surprising MCO is the top domestic destination, which is why I ask B6 is not taking a risk for some market share. I see why PHL will become a NorthSouth hub. Wonder if anyone else is going to enter the PHL-LAX market.

Questioning why DOH is not on the top ten in International travel also FRA as well.

For I
Thanks for posting!


For that link I think there basing it off origination in PHL vs overall butts in seats on an aircraft from PHL. I bet not as many ppl originating flying to DOH from PHL as more so ppl connecting in Philly to go to Doha. My assumption but I could be total wrong.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:25 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2020/02/12/here-are-phls-top-nonstopdomestic-and.html

Quick article on PHL's top domestic and international destinations

Not surprising MCO is the top domestic destination, which is why I ask B6 is not taking a risk for some market share. I see why PHL will become a NorthSouth hub. Wonder if anyone else is going to enter the PHL-LAX market.

Questioning why DOH is not on the top ten in International travel also FRA as well.

For I
Thanks for posting!


For that link I think there basing it off origination in PHL vs overall butts in seats on an aircraft from PHL. I bet not as many ppl originating flying to DOH from PHL as more so ppl connecting in Philly to go to Doha. My assumption but I could be total wrong.


Now I'm really curious how LH is surviving PHL? I'm guessing AA is selling tickets to connect with LH then
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:06 am

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Not surprising MCO is the top domestic destination, which is why I ask B6 is not taking a risk for some market share. I see why PHL will become a NorthSouth hub. Wonder if anyone else is going to enter the PHL-LAX market.

Questioning why DOH is not on the top ten in International travel also FRA as well.

For I
Thanks for posting!


For that link I think there basing it off origination in PHL vs overall butts in seats on an aircraft from PHL. I bet not as many ppl originating flying to DOH from PHL as more so ppl connecting in Philly to go to Doha. My assumption but I could be total wrong.


Now I'm really curious how LH is surviving PHL? I'm guessing AA is selling tickets to connect with LH then


My guess they offering good enough connections in FRA for decent enough prices.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 18

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos