Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:37 am

880dc8707 wrote:
I don't understand how JFK and EWR can both be funneling airports, but, FLL and MIA that is just ridiculous.

FLL one of the largest international gateways in the States. More international traffic than Philadelphia, Seattle, Boston and so forth.
a.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:19 am

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
PHL started a petition for trying to get approval to allow funneling at the airport. Here’s the link if anyone wants to sign it

http://chng.it/MxqbCcBqTS

I posted on their IG yesterday that a petition should be started. Happy to see it’s actually happening. Kinda getting ridiculous we (PHL) are left with big question marks on our heads of when European nonstops will return.

Oh nice. Yea I saw there post about it and figured I share. It’s definitely getting out of hand at this point. Hopefully this helps. Glad to see QR coming back at least.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

aerace

Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:20 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
PHL started a petition for trying to get approval to allow funneling at the airport. Here’s the link if anyone wants to sign it

http://chng.it/MxqbCcBqTS

I posted on their IG yesterday that a petition should be started. Happy to see it’s actually happening. Kinda getting ridiculous we (PHL) are left with big question marks on our heads of when European nonstops will return.

Oh nice. Yea I saw there post about it and figured I share. It’s definitely getting out of hand at this point. Hopefully this helps. Glad to see QR coming back at least.

If I'm not mistaken, QR cannot land without the extra clearance protocol right? I was looking at hopping AerLingus end of September / early October to get to eastern Europe, but at this point, I just don't know how to proceed. It continues to frustrate me that we cannot make travel plans accordingly. I am ready to travel, safely and carefully, and feel like PHL is ready for it, especially with the CDC screening. Grrr. Here's hoping the petition helps.

Nicknuzzii

Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:22 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, QR cannot land without the extra clearance protocol right? I was looking at hopping AerLingus end of September / early October to get to eastern Europe, but at this point, I just don't know how to proceed. It continues to frustrate me that we cannot make travel plans accordingly. I am ready to travel, safely and carefully, and feel like PHL is ready for it, especially with the CDC screening. Grrr. Here's hoping the petition helps.

I think QR can actually. I’m not 100% on that though.

PHL is petitioning really hard right now. I believe the goal is to get the Oct 24th TATL routes actually flying.

aerace

Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

PHL is petitioning really hard right now. I believe the goal is to get the Oct 24th TATL routes actually flying.

Seems you are correct. China / EU / Brazil are restricted. Might have to pivot and go QR. Always wanted to try the Qsuites. Might be a good time to!

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:48 pm

aerace wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
aerace wrote:

Seems you are correct. China / EU / Brazil are restricted. Might have to pivot and go QR. Always wanted to try the Qsuites. Might be a good time to!

Yea you might have to go the leakage route and fly out of JFK or Dc. Side note I’m baffled Detroit is on the listing but PHL isn’t. Well hopefully the petition works. And hope you’re able to book your trip. I was suppose to go to Prague, Budapest and Vienna next month our of PHL using my AA miles but that was nixed.

LondonFed

Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:28 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Aren't we still banned from the EU? Why don't we figure out how to stop staying banned as a country and then worry about opening back up these TATLs?

aerace

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:53 pm

LondonFed wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Aren't we still banned from the EU? Why don't we figure out how to stop staying banned as a country and then worry about opening back up these TATLs?

We can go to the EU. We are required, if memory serves me right, to provide negative Covid tests 48-72 hours before arrival along with a passenger declaration form of sorts. I think a quarantine might be in place if you don't produce a test. I was looking at Croatia, which is open to all countries, but now is seeing some spikes. In transiting via Dublin on Aerlingus, you would not need to have any form, as Croatia is the final destination.

vlad1971

Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:49 pm

aerace wrote:
LondonFed wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

We can go to the EU.

No - US Citizens are still banned from Entering EU countries . Although you may travel in transit to the third country providing you are having confirmed ticket and not going outside transit zone .

klm617

Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:07 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Yea you might have to go the leakage route and fly out of JFK or Dc. Side note I’m baffled Detroit is on the listing but PHL isn’t. Well hopefully the petition works. And hope you’re able to book your trip. I was suppose to go to Prague, Budapest and Vienna next month our of PHL using my AA miles but that was nixed.

Why would you be baffled at that. When this list was created only Asia at the time was thought to be a hot spot and Detroit had 5 flights a day from Asia so it made perfect sense. Also I believe that space was also a consideration and Detroit has a huge arrivals hall to make testing easier. I'd be more baffled about FLL than I would be about Detroit
especially since those inbounds could have easily flown into MIA to get screened.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:11 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Why would you be baffled at that. When this list was created only Asia at the time was thought to be a hot spot and Detroit had 5 flights a day from Asia so it made perfect sense. Also I believe that space was also a consideration and Detroit has a huge arrivals hall to make testing easier. I'd be more baffled about FLL than I would be about Detroit
especially since those inbounds could have easily flown into MIA to get screened.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

aerace

Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:57 pm

vlad1971 wrote:
aerace wrote:
LondonFed wrote:

We can go to the EU.

No - US Citizens are still banned from Entering EU countries . Although you may travel in transit to the third country providing you are having confirmed ticket and not going outside transit zone .

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-i ... index.html

Seems to be there are a list of European countries currently accepting US citizens, mainly on eastern portion of the continent.

LondonFed

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:19 pm

vlad1971 wrote:
aerace wrote:
LondonFed wrote:

We can go to the EU.

This should be posted in the 'distinction without a difference' Hall of Fame.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:01 pm

Posted on a separate thread AA plans PHL service to DAB Dayton Beach in December

viewtopic.php?p=22406203#p22406203

usairways85

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:02 pm

aerace

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:05 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Posted on a separate thread AA plans PHL service to DAB Dayton Beach in December

Seems like AA is really going all in on secondary Florida. I wouldn’t be surprised to an add to Panama City/Destin next. I never would’ve expected Key West and Melbourne to go daily but clearly AA is having some success here...or they just have extra planes and Florida is low hanging fruit.

aerace

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:20 pm

usairways85 wrote:

No surprise here. With a legacy carrier on the route, I was doubting their return, particularly in post-Covid times.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:23 pm

usairways85 wrote:

Yea I saw that earlier. Disappointed but expected since we still aren’t approved for allowing international travel. At least they haven’t terminated service as of yet. Hopefully it’s restored at some point

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:24 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Seems like AA is really going all in on secondary Florida. I wouldn’t be surprised to an add to Panama City/Destin next. I never would’ve expected Key West and Melbourne to go daily but clearly AA is having some success here...or they just have extra planes and Florida is low hanging fruit.

Yea seems like Florida is where it’s at now a days. Glad to see some positive news with all the negative going on.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:19 pm

Not post yet but saw on Wikipedia that AA will start seasonal service to Palm Springs on Dec 19th 2020. Did a dummy booking and it is posted as a 8:50am departure. Wasn’t expecting this route to ever happen

flyboy7974

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:56 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Not post yet but saw on Wikipedia that AA will start seasonal service to Palm Springs on Dec 19th 2020. Did a dummy booking and it is posted as a 8:50am departure. Wasn’t expecting this route to ever happen

Yes, was just about to post, once a week, A319 through the winter.

aerace

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:56 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

Wildly excited and completely baffled. PSP is hands down one of the coolest airports and the town is awesome too.

But in other news, AMS and DFW are gone til March thanks to the lack of response by the powers that be to make PHL a funneling airport. :mad:

aerace

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:44 am

AA is also back on winter seasonal SLC in the latest OAG. Service commences 12/17 and runs 5x a week through April. I don't think there's ever been an AA route that has had such inconsistency from PHL. I guess a pandemic is the time to bring it back when people are leaning toward outdoorsy vacations domestically.

crownvic

Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:12 am

So, COVID-19 testing for international pax entering the U.S. is to end next week. Can we now assume that PHL will be "back in business" for international flights?

Ishrion

Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:52 am

crownvic wrote:
So, COVID-19 testing for international pax entering the U.S. is to end next week. Can we now assume that PHL will be "back in business" for international flights?

PHL should be. AA PHL-LHR/MAD are still scheduled from October 24 but AA over the weekend decided to shift AMS/DUB to DFW for the winter. Of course, there’s still time to revert that decision.

It’s likely not going to happen, but I’m sort of hoping for AA to add passengers on PHL-FRA/MXP similar to AA resuming passenger LAX-SYD earlier than planned because it’s already flying cargo-only daily.

aerace

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:55 am

Ishrion wrote:
crownvic wrote:

PHL should be. AA PHL-LHR/MAD are still scheduled from October 24 but AA over the weekend decided to shift AMS/DUB to DFW for the winter. Of course, there’s still time to revert that decision.

It’s likely not going to happen, but I’m sort of hoping for AA to add passengers on PHL-FRA/MXP similar to AA resuming passenger LAX-SYD earlier than planned because it’s already flying cargo-only daily.

It would make sense if they are already running cargo to these routes (and have expanded them over the weeks) that they shift them back. We are talking six months before the planned resumption which would not be great to abandon at their transatlantic gateway. I don't think anyone would be interested in flying to EU via DFW from the east coast.

crownvic

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:53 am

Curious as to why nobody is talking about this anywhere else, considering how many airports have lost all their international service (i.e. LAS, MCO, etc.)

PHLspecial

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:49 am

crownvic wrote:
Curious as to why nobody is talking about this anywhere else, considering how many airports have lost all their international service (i.e. LAS, MCO, etc.)

I think they would be the first to bounce back because of the leisure destination? I mean PHL I think is getting the worse of it as well. AA has pulled a lot from PHL and I don't know how much more they are going to cut. Though it's positive to see international flights resuming.

aerace

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:37 am

PHLspecial wrote:
crownvic wrote:

I think they would be the first to bounce back because of the leisure destination? I mean PHL I think is getting the worse of it as well. AA has pulled a lot from PHL and I don't know how much more they are going to cut. Though it's positive to see international flights resuming.

Couldn't agree more especially when PHL is also a huge commerce center. LAS, MCO, PHX have high pax because most of their traffic is leisure travelers (and I suppose they will all get bumps in the short term). The financial impact of this is in the billions and why AA didn't fight harder for PHL doesn't make any sense. There's even a press release that the airport put out yesterday. Seems to be that most other airports aren't doing that.

https://www.phl.org/newsroom/phl-resumes-international

SanBdlFly

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:06 pm

I’m noticing a new route from PHL on American today. Looks like PSP is beginning for the winter season on December 19th! Very exciting news for Palm Springs especially after the new routes on G4 to BOI and EUG as well as the WN announcement and B6 to FLL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crownvic

Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:51 am

Well, hopefully AA will get it's act together and get these international flights restored. My concern right now is, they have cut so much domestic flying at PHL, that if the do not restore those flights, a lot of the international traffic will need to rely on O & D. While that can be sustained with the major markets like London and other major European centers, there will not be enough feed into PHL to support the second tier European cities that AA/US were always known for operating to/from PHL.

aerace

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 am

crownvic wrote:
Well, hopefully AA will get it's act together and get these international flights restored. My concern right now is, they have cut so much domestic flying at PHL, that if the do not restore those flights, a lot of the international traffic will need to rely on O & D. While that can be sustained with the major markets like London and other major European centers, there will not be enough feed into PHL to support the second tier European cities that AA/US were always known for operating to/from PHL.

Sure but second-tier Europe won't be back until next summer anyways. At that point, I wouldn't be surprised if AA's schedule gets close to what it was. Other than DBV, BUD, and BER, which were all the most recent adds in the last 2 years, everything is loaded and bookable. REK is still launching, as well. Although CMN is not in the schedule, I personally think, after UA's Africa and India adds this week, AA might get on the offensive and put this back...or RAM steps in and takes over. I understand that just because something is bookable doesn't mean it sticks so we will have to see how winter bookings shape up.

Another thing to keep in mind, some of the other EU markets are not launching back from hubs that had them prior. CLT lost FCO, BCN and CDG. ORD lost VCE and PRG. So pushing those pax through PHL, like they did in the beginning of the merger, is what will most likely take shape. All we can hope is that people feel comfortable enough to take the summer vacations they postponed from this year. And cargo remains strong since that is definitely carrying the international lift at the moment.

machbullet

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:17 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
880dc8707 wrote:
I don't understand how JFK and EWR can both be funneling airports, but, FLL and MIA that is just ridiculous.

FLL one of the largest international gateways in the States. More international traffic than Philadelphia, Seattle, Boston and so forth.

PHL, SEA, and BOS all beat FLL on TATL if you exclude South America traffic

aerace

Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Looks like QR was supposed to depart to DOH tonight but the flight cancelled. I wonder if that's any sign how the loads are looking since they outright cancelled. Or they just never adjusted the schedule. Hopefully this carrier sticks around since they were making some inroads pre-Covid.

DMPHL

Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:20 pm

aerace wrote:
Looks like QR was supposed to depart to DOH tonight but the flight cancelled. I wonder if that's any sign how the loads are looking since they outright cancelled. Or they just never adjusted the schedule. Hopefully this carrier sticks around since they were making some inroads pre-Covid.

I imagine we'll see more frequent cancellations as they try to bring the route back online. If loads are really low, and there is adequate space on, e.g. JFK/ORD flights, which have been running for a while already, they might shift passengers onto connections through those gateways. The marginal cost of paying AA or other carriers they interline with for a domestic connection to a few airports is certainly less than the cost to operate and staff the long-haul flight.

Pure speculation but it wouldn't surprise me.

aerace

Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:27 pm

DMPHL wrote:
aerace wrote:

I imagine we'll see more frequent cancellations as they try to bring the route back online. If loads are really low, and there is adequate space on, e.g. JFK/ORD flights, which have been running for a while already, they shift passengers onto connections through those gateways. The marginal cost of paying AA or other carriers they interline with for a domestic connection to a few airports is certainly less than the cost to operate and staff the long-haul flight.

Pure speculation but it wouldn't surprise me.

Makes sense. They are also starting out as 3x weekly so I guess it's not too terrible of a schedule for them to also push pax to the following day if need be. Looks like they shift to daily the last week of October onward.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:29 pm

aerace wrote:

Based off flight Radar it looks like it’s suppose to depart DOHA to PHL tomorrow and depart back to Doha that night. Saw even in the Philadelphia business journal that the flight is suppose to be the 16th. We shall see

aerace

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:19 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

Based off flight Radar it looks like it’s suppose to depart DOHA to PHL tomorrow and depart back to Doha that night. Saw even in the Philadelphia business journal that the flight is suppose to be the 16th. We shall see

I checked the status of the flight for today and it said cancelled so I’m not sure. It was also on the departures list for tonight on PHL website. Who knows. I guess we gotta take everything with a grain of salt when it comes to schedules.

crownvic

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:52 am

This flight in the past tended to move a lot belly freight (pharmaceuticals, cheese steaks, pretzels and Tastykakes!). OK, I was kidding on the last three items, but perhaps the deciding factor on whether the flight operates is dictated by the belly load.

PHLspecial

Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:33 am

crownvic wrote:
This flight in the past tended to move a lot belly freight (pharmaceuticals, cheese steaks, pretzels and Tastykakes!). OK, I was kidding on the last three items, but perhaps the deciding factor on whether the flight operates is dictated by the belly load.

Well I believe you on the Tastycakes :lol:

You meant the QR flight? Any other cargo they often move?

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:20 pm

PHLspecial

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:01 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

QR must do well here considering JFK and IAD are close by. Yay for something at least returning to normal

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:35 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

QR must do well here considering JFK and IAD are close by. Yay for something at least returning to normal

Yea even if its 3 days a week better than nothing. Also according to PBJ article: British Airways flight via London Heathrow Airport, arriving to PHL on 9/20 and departing PHL on 9/21

aerace

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:09 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Yea even if its 3 days a week better than nothing. Also according to PBJ article: British Airways flight via London Heathrow Airport, arriving to PHL on 9/20 and departing PHL on 9/21

I recently saw this. I thought BA was starting end of October but now it seems to be 2x weekly from next week through til 10/23 when it goes daily. Pleasant surprise, unless I missed something?

FWIW, Aerlingus is back 10/13 going daily from the jump. LH returns daily 10/25.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:32 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

I recently saw this. I thought BA was starting end of October but now it seems to be 2x weekly from next week through til 10/23 when it goes daily. Pleasant surprise, unless I missed something?

FWIW, Aerlingus is back 10/13 going daily from the jump. LH returns daily 10/25.

This is welcoming news. I doubt we see Icelandair come back at all

usairways85

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:25 pm

BA has operated their LHR-PHL cargo flight 2x weekly the past few weeks. I wonder if they simply opened that up to paxs between next week and October when they planned to restart pax ops.

iadguy73

Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:00 pm

usairways85 wrote:
BA has operated their LHR-PHL cargo flight 2x weekly the past few weeks. I wonder if they simply opened that up to paxs between next week and October when they planned to restart pax ops.

BA has been operating twice weekly cargo flights going back early summer. What may confuse you is they kept their flight number from pax flights (BA 67), so can't tell the difference. Starting October these twice weekly flights are bookable for pax ops and they are supposed to come back daily at the end of the month.

Qatar came in yesterday (9/16) with little over 130 pax.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:02 pm

In regards to the QR load factor from yesterday arrival I was expecting quite less than the approximately 130. Yes granted at full capacity the A359 holds up to 283 for QR but for its first time back after 5-6 months I consider the 130 good IMO. Correct me if I’m wrong

aerace

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:26 pm

iadguy73 wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

BA has been operating twice weekly cargo flights going back early summer. What may confuse you is they kept their flight number from pax flights (BA 67), so can't tell the difference. Starting October these twice weekly flights are bookable for pax ops and they are supposed to come back daily at the end of the month.

They’re actually bookable starting next week with Mon, Thurs, Sun departures from PHL.

Also 130 sounds like a pretty solid # if you ask me considering the hiatus and state of flying.

aerace

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:49 pm

aerace wrote:
iadguy73 wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

They’re actually bookable starting next week with Mon, Thurs, Sun departures from PHL.

Also 130 sounds like a pretty solid # if you ask me considering the hiatus and state of flying.

Whoops I mean Monday and Friday. The returns are Thursday and Sunday so the planes overnight. So in tune with the cargo schedule.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos