Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PHLspecial

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:03 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
In regards to the QR load factor from yesterday arrival I was expecting quite less than the approximately 130. Yes granted at full capacity the A359 holds up to 283 for QR but for its first time back after 5-6 months I consider the 130 good IMO. Correct me if I’m wrong

That was much higher than I was expecting too. That's positive news that we needed. It would be nice once BA starts service again too. Might fly them soon. Though again it's cheaper to fly from NYC sadly

aerace

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:29 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
In regards to the QR load factor from yesterday arrival I was expecting quite less than the approximately 130. Yes granted at full capacity the A359 holds up to 283 for QR but for its first time back after 5-6 months I consider the 130 good IMO. Correct me if I’m wrong

That was much higher than I was expecting too. That's positive news that we needed. It would be nice once BA starts service again too. Might fly them soon. Though again it's cheaper to fly from NYC sadly

Meanwhile the nonstops on Aerlingus are around $400 if you do a week. That’s what I’m eyeing up in the next two months. It’s cheaper or same as NYC area.

aerace

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:57 am

So AA done did it this weekend. MAD and LHR are officially pushed to the end of March (start of spring season) so they will be operating zero nonstops during the winter. Thankfully we still have BA, LH, and EI for the lift. What's good is that this isn't just a Philly incidence, as CLT will have no resumptions and JFK/MIA/ORD will only have 1 flight to LHR. The demand for Mexico, Florida, Hawaii and the Caribbean I guess is far outpacing any wanting to go to Europe.
Last edited by aerace on Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicknuzzii

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:00 pm

aerace wrote:
So AA done did it this weekend. MAD and LHR are officially pushed to the end of March (start of spring season) so they will be operating zero nonstops during the winter. Thankfully we still have BA, AA, and EI for the lift. What's good is that this isn't just a Philly incidence, as CLT will have no resumptions and JFK/MIA/ORD will only have 1 flight to LHR. The demand for Mexico, Florida, Hawaii and the Caribbean I guess is far outpacing any wanting to go to Europe.

I think what’s interesting is how UA and DL are running a much more diverse TATL schedule this winter. Do you have any numbers on who is the largest and smallest?

aerace

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:10 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
aerace wrote:
So AA done did it this weekend. MAD and LHR are officially pushed to the end of March (start of spring season) so they will be operating zero nonstops during the winter. Thankfully we still have BA, AA, and EI for the lift. What's good is that this isn't just a Philly incidence, as CLT will have no resumptions and JFK/MIA/ORD will only have 1 flight to LHR. The demand for Mexico, Florida, Hawaii and the Caribbean I guess is far outpacing any wanting to go to Europe.

I think what’s interesting is how UA and DL are running a much more diverse TATL schedule this winter. Do you have any numbers on who is the largest and smallest?

Right, I thought the same thing just on basic Google Flights searches out of EWR and JFK. I don't have numbers, but I can tell you that UA seems to be dominating, even running some secondary markets which seems nuts to me. DL out of JFK seems to be more inline with AA, relying on their SkyTeam pals with VS, AF, and AZ also running to Europe. And clearly I am just using the tristate area as an example.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:33 pm

aerace wrote:
So AA done did it this weekend. MAD and LHR are officially pushed to the end of March (start of spring season) so they will be operating zero nonstops during the winter. Thankfully we still have BA, LH, and EI for the lift. What's good is that this isn't just a Philly incidence, as CLT will have no resumptions and JFK/MIA/ORD will only have 1 flight to LHR. The demand for Mexico, Florida, Hawaii and the Caribbean I guess is far outpacing any wanting to go to Europe.

I guess at this point it makes sense to just start the European routes next year. No sense in rushing it if there’s barely demand. I read on another post that a LH FRA-MIA flight had only 10ppl on it. That’s just a sign demand is weak IMO. Overall at least the ban is lifted and BA, QR, LH and EI can pick up the slack like you mentioned.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

Nicknuzzii

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

I guess at this point it makes sense to just start the European routes next year. No sense in rushing it if there’s barely demand. I read on another post that a LH FRA-MIA flight had only 10ppl on it. That’s just a sign demand is weak IMO. Overall at least the ban is lifted and BA, QR, LH and EI can pick up the slack like you mentioned.

This isn’t much better but EWR-FRA has been operating with around 100 people a day (give or take) onboard. That’s with 2 airlines flying it daily too. So demand is sorta there if you look at the right spots.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:53 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

This isn’t much better but EWR-FRA has been operating with around 100 people a day (give or take) onboard. That’s with 2 airlines flying it daily too. So demand is sorta there if you look at the right spots.

Fair point and I guess just overall it’s going be awhile for any transatlantic service to get to where it was.

onwFan

Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:18 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

EWR-FRA is a Star hub-to-hub route, which consolidates a lot of the traffic, whereas FRA-MIA is not. Hence, I would say that MIA-FRA is more representative of actual demand at a given city than EWR-FRA is. I think BA/AA have probably decided that 1x daily PHL-LHR is sufficient for the demand from PHL/North-East connections to Europe.

phljjs

Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:13 am

LH is closing PHL effective tomorrow, 10/1. There is a possibility that the station may reopen in December, but stakeholders were advised that the most likely scenario is reopening will coincide with the Summer 2021 schedule.

Nicknuzzii

Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:27 am

[photoid][/photoid]
phljjs wrote:
LH is closing PHL effective tomorrow, 10/1. There is a possibility that the station may reopen in December, but stakeholders were advised that the most likely scenario is reopening will coincide with the Summer 2021 schedule.

Sad but it has to be done. Does it sound like it is a for sure suspension and not total cancellation?

phljjs

Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:39 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
phljjs wrote:

Sad but it has to be done. Does it sound like it is a for sure suspension and not total cancellation?

The communication definitely sounded like they plan to be back, but don't know when.

aerace

Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:54 am

phljjs wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
phljjs wrote:

The communication definitely sounded like they plan to be back, but don't know when.

With AA running cargo on this route, I would be interested to see if they consider a shift from CLT back to PHL for summer, especially if LH delays in returning.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:07 am

phljjs wrote:

Sucks to hear but understandable move to make

jetsetter629

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:34 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
phljjs wrote:

Sucks to hear but understandable move to make

With SAP providing a ton of corporate traffic on the route, they've lost a big share of passengers, especially the most profitable ones too

aerace

Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:23 pm

EI has now pushed DUB to 12/15. Who knows where things will be by then since Dublin seems to be spiking as well.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:53 pm

aerace wrote:
EI has now pushed DUB to 12/15. Who knows where things will be by then since Dublin seems to be spiking as well.

Thanks for the update on this. I also wouldn’t be surprised if it gets pushed to the Summer schedule in March 21

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:40 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/news/airlines- ... they-last/

The Points Guy Article just about airlines going in different directions with their route selections. PHL was mentioned and I see Nicknuzzii was interviewed on this as well. Good stuff

PHLspecial

Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:58 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/airlines-pandemic-routes-will-they-last/

The Points Guy Article just about airlines going in different directions with their route selections. PHL was mentioned and I see Nicknuzzii was interviewed on this as well. Good stuff

It will be interesting to see if JetBlue has more leisure adds coming for PHL and what AA is going to do for PHL

Zbogart757

Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:39 pm

On AAs website, it looks like starting on 11/5 AA will start mainline to EYE on a A319.

aerace

Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:53 pm

Zbogart757 wrote:
On AAs website, it looks like starting on 11/5 AA will start mainline to EYE on a A319.

Is that EYW for Key West?

Ishrion

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:06 pm

aerace wrote:
Zbogart757 wrote:

Yup, the 1x daily PHL to Key West will be on the A319 this winter. It runs until April 5.

aerace

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:18 pm

Ishrion wrote:
aerace wrote:
Zbogart757 wrote:

Yup, the 1x daily PHL to Key West will be on the A319 this winter. It runs until April 5.

Just keep tossing capacity to Florida! How are fares looking? I went last December Sat-Tues and paid $500 thru MIA, which was easy. The nonstop was crazy pricey. Hopefully a bigger plan drops the fares a bit more.

Zbogart757

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:24 pm

aerace wrote:
Zbogart757 wrote:

Yep Key West sorry about that, autocorrected to EYE

aerace

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:33 pm

Ishrion wrote:
aerace wrote:
Zbogart757 wrote:

Wow, it also looks like the weekends bordering Thanksgiving are going double-daily on A319 and E175.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:58 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

It will be interesting to see if JetBlue has more leisure adds coming for PHL and what AA is going to do for PHL

I’ve been thinking the same thing for both companies.

Nicknuzzii

Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:08 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Yes I thought it was a pretty neat article. Once things stabilize I could definitely see frequencies added to these routes but as for new routes, I’m not so sure.

ChrisNH38

Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:14 pm

AA keeps pushing back the resumption of BOS-LAX service, so a lot of that flow will come through PHL. That is happening to me on November 4; my booked BOS-LAX-BOS round trip has turned into a BOS-PHL-LAX-PHL-BOS journey.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

PHLspecial

Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:54 am

ChrisNH38 wrote:
AA keeps pushing back the resumption of BOS-LAX service, so a lot of that flow will come through PHL. That is happening to me on November 4; my booked BOS-LAX-BOS round trip has turned into a BOS-PHL-LAX-PHL-BOS journey.

I'm surprised its not pushed through JFK but I guess PHL is cheaper to push through and just as easy to connect unless that trip is one plane

ChrisNH38

Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:18 am

PHLspecial wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:

I'm surprised its not pushed through JFK but I guess PHL is cheaper to push through and just as easy to connect unless that trip is one plane

It’s going to be 738s on the BOS-PHL-BOS legs and A321s PHL-LAX-PHL.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

PHLspecial

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:12 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Yes I thought it was a pretty neat article. Once things stabilize I could definitely see frequencies added to these routes but as for new routes, I’m not so sure.

Good points. Happy for you being featured. Pretty cool got to say.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:23 am

AA is around 200 flights on peak days in November. Anyone know about F9, NK, DL, WN, etc?

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:58 am

According to Routesonline LH will resume service in December

Frankfurt – Philadelphia eff 02DEC20 Service resumption, reduce from 5-7 to 3 weekly, A330-300 operating (5 weekly from 01MAR21)

Obviously this could change but positive news overall

aerace

Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:24 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

Frankfurt – Philadelphia eff 02DEC20 Service resumption, reduce from 5-7 to 3 weekly, A330-300 operating (5 weekly from 01MAR21)

Definitely. Looks like BA is going daily from Nov 1 too.

PHLspecial

Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

It's positive news. Frankly great news. It's still nice that LH still has service to non SA hubs.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:29 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

It's positive news. Frankly great news. It's still nice that LH still has service to non SA hubs.

I agree and seeing some of the other routes from that posting that were canceled for the winter season PHL is very fortunate to make the listing. I wonder if the SAP corporate contracts helped.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:29 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Nice I wasn't aware of that

aerace

Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:45 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Well spoke to soon. Schedule was updated to 3x weekly for November BUT it is on the new A350X which was supposed to commence in March but never did. So I guess that's a fair trade off.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:57 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

Well spoke to soon. Schedule was updated to 3x weekly for November BUT it is on the new A350X which was supposed to commence in March but never did. So I guess that's a fair trade off.

Yea just saw now. I guess at this point any international service to PHL is great news no matter the frequency. Hopefully the 350 sticks around as it’ll be great to see. I’m just curious on the current lOad factors

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos