Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

berari

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:56 am

Alright many more airspace closures coming ... UAE, Ghana.

ET still flies to Italy and China though ... flights out of China have zero seats open into next week.

leftcoast8

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:20 am

Does anyone know if ET has suspended Toronto too? My dad is due back on April 4.

bmagee

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:15 am

leftcoast8 wrote:
Does anyone know if ET has suspended Toronto too? My dad is due back on April 4.

Latest ET updates are here: https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa/travel-updates/covid-19

No suspension to YYZ yet, though in the current climate, April 4th is a LONG way away, so a lot can and will change

eastafspot

Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:33 pm

A meaningless news from East Africa:

Brussels and London are aimed at supporting exports to Europe while Guangzhou will allow access to medical supplies and other essentials required in the country.

“We’re doing cargo flights to Brussels and London to support our exports. We’re also going to Guangzhou to pick up medical supplies/equipment required in the country,” she said.

https://www.newtimes.co.rw/news/rwandai ... -guangzhou

A serious question - I would love to hear how the situation is dealt with in Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan or Tanzania...

The French president is planing good actions for Africa, when and where?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

SR380

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:00 am

Hey guys,

Maybe you can help me out. I have some issue following Air Zimbabwe's 777 fleet info (who doesn't)... So Zimbabwe Airways took delivery of an ex MH 777, reg.9M-MRP, then reg.Z-RGM on Apr.2018. This aircraft has been stored in HRE since then and now seems to be registered to Air Zimbabwe. When delivered, the aircraft was wearing a distinctive livery, mostly black on the ail, with the Zimbabwean bird on the tail. On recent articles, it says the aircraft was flown to ADD for maintenance and then will be leased out. The aircraft appears to be wearing an eurowhite livery not. Did they repaint it in HRE?

Also, any update on the 9M-MRQ that is supposed to be UH second 777 and re-registered Z-NBE?

Cheers

JeremyXWB

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:04 am

SR380 wrote:
Hey guys,

Maybe you can help me out. I have some issue following Air Zimbabwe's 777 fleet info (who doesn't)... So Zimbabwe Airways took delivery of an ex MH 777, reg.9M-MRP, then reg.Z-RGM on Apr.2018. This aircraft has been stored in HRE since then and now seems to be registered to Air Zimbabwe. When delivered, the aircraft was wearing a distinctive livery, mostly black on the ail, with the Zimbabwean bird on the tail. On recent articles, it says the aircraft was flown to ADD for maintenance and then will be leased out. The aircraft appears to be wearing an eurowhite livery not. Did they repaint it in HRE?

Also, any update on the 9M-MRQ that is supposed to be UH second 777 and re-registered Z-NBE?

Cheers

According to ch-aviation, Z-NBE (ex 9M-MRQ) still remains stored in SZB

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/aircraft/79448

SR380

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:20 am

JeremyXWB wrote:
SR380 wrote:
Hey guys,

Cheers

According to ch-aviation, Z-NBE (ex 9M-MRQ) still remains stored in SZB

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/aircraft/79448

Thanks. I also came upon a twitter account where you can spot both 777s in SZB in full Zimbabwe Airways colors...

qm001

Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:50 am

@sr380 any link to that?
I wish there was still a flying boat service on the African Lakes!

Mi26

Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:16 pm

Hi
Had a Colleague fly out of Juba, South Sudan to Addis Ababa on ET 355 yesterday, one way - cost $USD2000 economy, and $USD3600 Business Class. Passengers must have a paid onwards flight from Addis Ababa.
All internal flights have now been stopped along with only very selected external (subject to Government Approval) flight to Entebbe or Nairobi. All UN and Humanitiration Flight are subject to the same clearance provisions.
I am in Juba, living next to the Airport and it is very quiet.
DATE FROM TO AIRCRAFT FLIGHT TIME STD ATD STA STATUS
17 Apr 2020 Juba (JUB) Addis Ababa (ADD) B738 (ET-AQP) 1:21 4:30 PM 5:07 PM 6:30 PM Landed 6:27 PM

SR380

Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:19 pm

qm001 wrote:
@sr380 any link to that?

Hey, if you talk about the twitter page, here it is: https://twitter.com/IamJerryHaas/status ... 6637884418

qm001

Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:20 pm

SR380 wrote:
qm001 wrote:
@sr380 any link to that?

Hey, if you talk about the twitter page, here it is: https://twitter.com/IamJerryHaas/status ... 6637884418

Thank you! What a complete vanity project that ended up costing millions :-|

SR380

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:19 am

qm001 wrote:
SR380 wrote:
qm001 wrote:
@sr380 any link to that?

Thank you! What a complete vanity project that ended up costing millions :-|

When leased, these two 777s could make some 400k a month. This might allow UH to rent some regional aircraft and build a solid national network. If the A32S ownership issues are solved, then they could use these on regional routes to JNB, NBO, DAR, ADD, etc... Maybe in 5-10 years they will FINALLY use these 777s to fly to LHR and CAN...

In the end, maybe the idea was not that bad. Although I am asking myself when they didn't created a new airlines all together...

qm001

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:59 pm

The problem with UM was never that it wasn't a good idea, back in the 80's and 90's they were great! I flew them often, the problem was one ZANU got hold of it, and used it as a personal employment agency, and taxi service. At that point, one never knew if they would operate, or not, and it was the beginning of the end. If it was privatised, then that would be a whole other ball game!

supreme777

Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:27 am

Ethiopian airline has lost $550 million to the pandemic from January to April and have confirmed that they can survive off of cargo until July. Thats actually strong but still very short. I really hope these airlines make it. If an airline giant like Ethiopian can't make it 3 months(with cargo operations ongoing) without funding, imagine what small and new airlines will have to go through. I am afraid for Kenyan, Air Tanzania, Uganda Airlines and much more.

SR380

Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:39 am

supreme777 wrote:
Ethiopian airline has lost $550 million to the pandemic from January to April and have confirmed that they can survive off of cargo until July. Thats actually strong but still very short. I really hope these airlines make it. If an airline giant like Ethiopian can't make it 3 months(with cargo operations ongoing) without funding, imagine what small and new airlines will have to go through. I am afraid for Kenyan, Air Tanzania, Uganda Airlines and much more.

Air Tanzania and Uganda Airlines have small fleet. It may cost a lot less to maintain it afloat.

eastafspot

Thu May 07, 2020 6:29 am

A news that Berari will appreciate for sure :smile:

"Ethiopian Airlines in early discussions on potential partnership with Air Mauritius"

https://www.lexpress.mu/node/376455

https://centreforaviation.com/news/ethi ... ceo-996330
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

eastafspot

Wed May 20, 2020 9:29 pm

Tanzania lifts ban on international flights:

- By March 25th, 13 airlines flying into Tanzania had suspended commercial flights.
- As long as their body temperatures don't point to anything unusual, I will allow them to proceed and view Tanzania's wildlife without being quarantined, said Head of State.
- Precision Air would not immediately resume intl flights because their only intl routes of NBO and EBB were still closed.

More here:
https://www.thecitizen.co.tz/news/18403 ... index.html

berari

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:49 am

As I look through Ethiopian Airlines fleet, what's flying and what's parked, I can't help but put my speculative hat on just for the sake of it.

Current demand has the following aircraft parked:
A350: 2 parked out of total 14, with additional two awaiting delivery from Airbus
B73s: 15 parked out of a total 30, with additional three MAX8s awaiting delivery from Boeing
B763: 6 parked out of total 6
B77L: 6 parked out of total 6
B77F: all 10 are flying
B77W: 3 parked out of total 4
B788: 6 parked out of total 19
B789: 3 parked out of total 7, with additional one awaiting delivery from Boeing
Q400: 18 parked out of total 9

Ethiopian Airlines is not good at publishing schedules far in advance even on a good day, including what aircraft type will operate what route. But with the assumption that traffic will take a while to rebound, I expect Ethiopian's schedule to be quite scaled back, with less frequencies, and likely one stop or triangle flights offered on African routes instead of the impressive nonstop flights we have seen in recent years. But here are my thoughts for each type above:

A350: the standard workhorse for high density aircraft, with 348 seats
B73s: will be around for a while, dependent on the MAX8 situation
B763: may never fly again for ET, they've been slated for retirement years ago but remained due to the airline's astounding growth
B77L: the oldest of long range widebody aircraft in the fleet. They are all owned, but their missions are interchangeable with A350s and B78s. Are they next to leave the fleet behind B763s?
B77Ws: these may be too large at this point, and they are all leased. Their missions are also interchangeable with A350s and B78s. Their primary routes, depending on season, are IAD, PEK, CAN, which ET may opt to serve with A350/B789s and additional frequencies when warranted. ET has expressed such desire for all three destinations in recent times. Within Africa, LOS, CPT and of late ACC saw the 77W; again, with softening demand, can be served with A350s.
B788: 5 out of 6 parked aircraft are the terrible teens. We know they are heavy, and not as efficient as the rest of the aircraft in the fleet. While I don't see ET shedding this type, I expect these stored ones to be some of the last to fly again.
B789: the other workhorse for long range services. I believe this type will remain and used interchangeably with the A350.
Q400: I believe that these will all go back up and flying again. ET has used these to expand across Africa, but also to increase frequency within Ethiopia and a couple of neighbouring countries.

If I were to plan for a rationalized fleet, I'd settle for:
A350
B73s (MAX8 unless they decide to dump this type)
B77F
B788
B789
Q400

berari

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:54 am

eastafspot wrote:
"Ethiopian Airlines in early discussions on potential partnership with Air Mauritius"

How did I miss this? And to think of it, what would ET gain from this unless it intends to feed its hub at ADD, which is in competition with what Air Mauritius has struggled to protect all along.

In good times (pre-COVID types,) ET had room for expansion in the Indian Ocean islands region, including Dzaoudzi and Mauritious, even Reunion which it would have done well at with its increasing reach into France (CDG and MRS.)

I can't help but wonder if existing frequencies and rights are going to be up for discussion once again for airlines, especially in regions like Africa were protectionism exists and may be further warranted by states that want to take advantage of the post pandemic softening of traffic. Imagine if Kenya clawed back on ET's 4x per week frequency into Nairobi in the name of supporting its own airline?

eastafspot

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:51 am

berari wrote:
As I look through Ethiopian Airlines fleet, what's flying and what's parked, I can't help but put my speculative hat on just for the sake of it.

A350: 2 parked out of total 14, with additional two awaiting delivery from Airbus
B73s: 15 parked out of a total 30, with additional three MAX8s awaiting delivery from Boeing
B789: 3 parked out of total 7, with additional one awaiting delivery from Boeing

Ethiopian Airlines is not good at publishing schedules far in advance even on a good day, including what aircraft type will operate what route. But with the assumption that traffic will take a while to rebound, I expect Ethiopian's schedule to be quite scaled back, with less frequencies, and likely one stop or triangle flights offered on African routes instead of the impressive nonstop flights we have seen in recent years. But here are my thoughts for each type above:

B763: may never fly again for ET, they've been slated for retirement years ago but remained due to the airline's astounding growth
B77L: the oldest of long range widebody aircraft in the fleet. They are all owned, but their missions are interchangeable with A350s and B78s. Are they next to leave the fleet behind B763s?
B77Ws: these may be too large at this point, and they are all leased. Their missions are also interchangeable with A350s and B78s. Their primary routes, depending on season, are IAD, PEK, CAN, which ET may opt to serve with A350/B789s and additional frequencies when warranted. ET has expressed such desire for all three destinations in recent times. Within Africa, LOS, CPT and of late ACC saw the 77W; again, with softening demand, can be served with A350s.
B788: 5 out of 6 parked aircraft are the terrible teens. We know they are heavy, and not as efficient as the rest of the aircraft in the fleet. While I don't see ET shedding this type, I expect these stored ones to be some of the last to fly again.
B789: the other workhorse for long range services. I believe this type will remain and used interchangeably with the A350.
Q400: I believe that these will all go back up and flying again. ET has used these to expand across Africa, but also to increase frequency within Ethiopia and a couple of neighbouring countries.

A350
B77F
B788
B789
Q400

Have they 18 or 9 q400 ?

eastafspot

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:00 am

berari wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

How did I miss this? And to think of it, what would ET gain from this unless it intends to feed its hub at ADD, which is in competition with what Air Mauritius has struggled to protect all along.

In good times (pre-COVID types,) ET had room for expansion in the Indian Ocean islands region, including Dzaoudzi and Mauritious, even Reunion which it would have done well at with its increasing reach into France (CDG and MRS.)

I can't help but wonder if existing frequencies and rights are going to be up for discussion once again for airlines, especially in regions like Africa were protectionism exists and may be further warranted by states that want to take advantage of the post pandemic softening of traffic. Imagine if Kenya clawed back on ET's 4x per week frequency into Nairobi in the name of supporting its own airline?

I've noticed this only afterwards, but you were the very first one to post the info (rumor ?) on the MK thread. :smile:

You mentioned fleet operations at the moment, but what about destinations ? Initially most of continental routes were supposed to resume the 8th. AFAIK only DAR, JRO, soon ZNZ, JUB are serviced, I guess LHR too, anything else for pax/non rapatriation ?

berari

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:24 am

eastafspot wrote:
berari wrote:

A350
B77F
B788
B789
Q400

Have they 18 or 9 q400 ?

My bad, 18 parked out of 27.

eastafspot wrote:
You mentioned fleet operations at the moment, but what about destinations ? Initially most of continental routes were supposed to resume the 8th. AFAIK only DAR, JRO, soon ZNZ, JUB are serviced, I guess LHR too, anything else for pax/non rapatriation ?

LHR has been consistently served. BRU, FRA, IST, GVA, MXP, CDG, VIE, ARN served now, but with irregular schedules. Same to China, Tokyo and Seoul, and Sao Paulo. It is changing so quickly that details are not worth chasing down. IAH and JFK are not operating, but IAD, ORD, EWR and YYZ are. Manchester will come online again in July. Handful African countries are coming online. These are all for regular scheduled service, not repatriation.

B747-437B

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:14 am

berari wrote:
Within Africa, LOS, CPT and of late ACC saw the 77W

ACC has never seen the 77W in scheduled service. It has been exclusively A350 for the last multiple years.

berari

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:30 pm

B747-437B wrote:
berari wrote:
Within Africa, LOS, CPT and of late ACC saw the 77W

ACC has never seen the 77W in scheduled service. It has been exclusively A350 for the last multiple years.

My bad, the 77Ws were scheduled to start with Summer 2020 schedule and were published as such. Yes, A350s for the last few years.

supreme777

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:09 pm

CEO of Ethiopian Airlines has conformed they are in talks with Air Madagascar(who is struggling due to the pandemic). I heard this during an interview that CEO Tewlde had.

leftcoast8

Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:36 am

Does ET have a lot of Japan-Ethiopia O&D demand on their NRT route, or is it mostly just pax connecting elsewhere in Africa? Or is most of the plane backfilled with people looking for cheap NRT-ICN fares? (formerly NRT-HKG.)

eastafspot

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:13 pm

supreme777 wrote:
CEO of Ethiopian Airlines has conformed they are in talks with Air Madagascar(who is struggling due to the pandemic). I heard this during an interview that CEO Tewlde had.

What do you mean?
Does ET have spare cash to inject in MD?

Qatar, Turkish, Ethiopian, Emirates, Flydubai resume flights to Tanzania. They have released their schedule timetables starting from mid-June onward to early.
There will be 3 flights per week, available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays to Doha in A320. Did not check for other airlines:

https://www.eturbonews.com/573815/qatar ... -tanzania/

eastafspot

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:49 pm

berari wrote:
Imagine if Kenya clawed back on ET's 4x per week frequency into Nairobi in the name of supporting its own airline?

Until September, it seems that ET will fully enjoy a profitable monopoly on the ADD-NBO route ( when borders will open) as Kenya Airways now expects international passenger flights to resume in late Q3. The airline has yet to give any indication on the number of destinations/frequencies it will fly to upon relaunch.

Unless miracles, AMS and CDG won't be served initially. Kigali will go to 1x daily (morning) only as my September trip got notified on June 8th that 1) KQ AMS-NBO + KGL-NBO got cancelled and 2) CDG-NBO vv can't be an alternative rebooking option. Will have to stick with KL or AF.

factsonly

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:48 pm

eastafspot wrote:

Unless miracles, AMS and CDG won't be served initially.

KQ is serving LHR, AMS, and occasionally CDG at present with cargo-only flights:

- KQ2116/2117 NBO-AMS B788 2x weekly
- KQ2100/2101 NBO-LHR B788 2x weekly
- KQ2112/2113 NBO-CDG B788 occasionally

factsonly

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:59 pm

eastafspot wrote:

Qatar, Turkish, Ethiopian, Emirates, Flydubai resume flights to Tanzania.

Also KLM has been operating AMS-DAR 2x weekly with Cargo-only B772 service since early June.
While non-stop passenger service starts on July 1st, as yet without a stop in JRO.

berari

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:17 pm

eastafspot wrote:
berari wrote:
Imagine if Kenya clawed back on ET's 4x per week frequency into Nairobi in the name of supporting its own airline?

Until September, it seems that ET will fully enjoy a profitable monopoly on the ADD-NBO route ( when borders will open) as Kenya Airways now expects international passenger flights to resume in late Q3. The airline has yet to give any indication on the number of destinations/frequencies it will fly to upon relaunch.

Interestingly KQ is still selling flights this summer despite not being operational on the passenger front. You can buy tickets on its website.

berari

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:41 pm

Ethiopian Cargo is adding one 77F, three converted 767Fs and two converted 737Fs to its fleet. No details, but my suspicion for the latter is that they are going to convert their owned 767s to freighters, and possibly the same with 737s.

MileHFL400

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:39 pm

Kenya update.
Jambojet commencing flights domestically on 15th July.

Turkish Airlines will commence weekly A330 flights to Nairobi on 1st August.
Thanks and best Regards
AA

eastafspot

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:35 pm

berari wrote:
Ethiopian Cargo is adding one 77F, three converted 767Fs and two converted 737Fs to its fleet. No details, but my suspicion for the latter is that they are going to convert their owned 767s to freighters, and possibly the same with 737s.

Excellent news, no wonder ET is still making profits despite the Covid-19:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/ethiopian-a ... -1.1458535

eastafspot

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:40 pm

berari wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
berari wrote:

Interestingly KQ is still selling flights this summer despite not being operational on the passenger front. You can buy tickets on its website.

With uncertain schedules, clearly higher fares (starting from 50% at best, up to 110% to EAC from EU for the rest of 2020) and the end of the JV with AF/KL, future doesn't look bright for KQ...

eastafspot

Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:32 am

factsonly wrote:
Also KLM has been operating AMS-DAR 2x weekly with Cargo-only B772 service since early June.
While non-stop passenger service starts on July 1st, as yet without a stop in JRO.

Interesting!
In September my flight from Kigali as KL541 (KL's first time B772 to KGL btw) will stop at DAR, instead of EBB (which I think becomes non stop).

eastafspot

Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:46 am

- Rwanda (like Kenya) will allow international flights from August 1st.
- RwandAir will fly to DXB, and as African destinations I suspect NBO, DAR, LUN, HRE and JRO being resumed from that day.
- LAM Mozambique announces new service to Dar es Salaam which allows to connect to KL, QR and ET flights.

For those of you curious, check my just posted trip report with photos and videos about Air Tanzania business class (Q400 & A220) to Johannesburg here :
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1449525
:smile:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos