Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

konkret

Re: LOT News Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:33 pm

According to German press Lufthansa is already considering terminating their relationship with Condor - not only Lufthansa doesn’t want to feed Condor flights anymore but it also wants to end Condor’s cooperation with Miles and More.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtschaft/ ... -1.4777948

Short term workaround is that LO puts its code on Condors flights so M&M members could book Condor flights under LO code and credit it to their M&M accounts.

Also in that case probably LH couldn’t COMPLETELY block interlining between LH and Condor’s LO-coded flights (as per star alliance rules)...?

Long term LO should definitely reconsider its M&M membership as it is handing out data of LO’s best clients on a silver platter to one of LO’s biggest competitors.

Blerg

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:34 pm

parrotta wrote:
LOT'S BUD-ICN route gets competition from KE Korean Air from May. 3x a week, shorter flight time
https://airportal.hu/szoul-es-budapest- ... nMHR6_uwZg

How come the flight time is shorter, different routing?

Polot

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 pm

Blerg wrote:
parrotta wrote:
LOT'S BUD-ICN route gets competition from KE Korean Air from May. 3x a week, shorter flight time

The BUD-ICN flight is actually scheduled shorter on LOT (by 20 mins). For some reason the return flight is 1 hr 20 min longer on LOT vs KE though.

SRQLOT

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:19 pm

Polot wrote:
Blerg wrote:
parrotta wrote:

The BUD-ICN flight is actually scheduled shorter on LOT (by 20 mins). For some reason the return flight is 1 hr 20 min longer on LOT vs KE though.

Didn’t LOT have issues with securing Siberia overflights? I thought whenever it could it flew below so it could use the rights on flights that really need that routing.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4 F9
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)

OceanAir

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:02 pm

konkret wrote:
According to German press Lufthansa is already considering terminating their relationship with Condor - not only Lufthansa doesn’t want to feed Condor flights anymore but it also wants to end Condor’s cooperation with Miles and More.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtschaft/ ... -1.4777948

Short term workaround is that LO puts its code on Condors flights so M&M members could book Condor flights under LO code and credit it to their M&M accounts.

Also in that case probably LH couldn’t COMPLETELY block interlining between LH and Condor’s LO-coded flights (as per star alliance rules)...?

Long term LO should definitely reconsider its M&M membership as it is handing out data of LO’s best clients on a silver platter to one of LO’s biggest competitors.

*Long term LO should definitely reconsider its STAR ALLIANCE membership*

So now zero cooperation with United and Lufthansa (U.S. and Europe - two most important markets for LO)? Why on earth would you want to be in a group that makes your life hell. It's like someone took all the benefits of an alliance and flipped them to illustrate why not to join said alliance. Would even make sense to drop *A and M&M and temporarily be unaligned before making further moves. This is like an abusive relationship. Crazy.

Blerg

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:27 pm

Maybe it's time for LO to consider deepening their ties with TK? Both seem to be sidelined by LH and UA in Star Alliance so maybe it's time for this friendship to be evaluated.

LO no longer desperately needs LH's network for connections given how much bigger its own has become.

SRQLOT

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:26 pm

LOT wants/hopes to get 10 of the exAzul 195s by year end. This is way more then initially thought would be possible, as comments were of a couple this year.

https://biznes.interia.pl/firma/news-lo ... Id,4305581
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)

runway23

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:49 pm

Blerg wrote:
Maybe it's time for LO to consider deepening their ties with TK? Both seem to be sidelined by LH and UA in Star Alliance so maybe it's time for this friendship to be evaluated.

LO no longer desperately needs LH's network for connections given how much bigger its own has become.

The alliance where LO would probably get most value is oneworld. LO should have exited star a few years ago when they had the opportunity to do so without penalties.

IMHO, LH knows they can get away with treating LO like dirt as they have a very wide coverage of Poland and therefore don't really need LO. Now that LO is going to be in the German market LH is acting like a child.

Blerg

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:12 pm

runway23 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

The alliance where LO would probably get most value is oneworld. LO should have exited star a few years ago when they had the opportunity to do so without penalties.

IMHO, LH knows they can get away with treating LO like dirt as they have a very wide coverage of Poland and therefore don't really need LO. Now that LO is going to be in the German market LH is acting like a child.

oneworld is definitely interesting though I wonder how happy AY would be to welcome them, both seem to be expanding in Asia and going after the same kind of clientelle. At the end of the day maybe the best way forward would be for LO to be friends with pretty much anyone.

As for Lufthansa, I think they overexpanded left and right and are now paying the price for it. Austrian Airlines is struggling, SN Brussels doesn't know what kind of business it wants to be while it keeps on accumulating losses, Eurowings is ... well, a disaster. On top of all that LO is growing and stealing LH's market. It will be super interesting to follow where things go from there.

lesfalls

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:37 pm

Blerg wrote:
runway23 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

oneworld is definitely interesting though I wonder how happy AY would be to welcome them, both seem to be expanding in Asia and going after the same kind of clientelle. At the end of the day maybe the best way forward would be for LO to be friends with pretty much anyone.

As for Lufthansa, I think they overexpanded left and right and are now paying the price for it. Austrian Airlines is struggling, SN Brussels doesn't know what kind of business it wants to be while it keeps on accumulating losses, Eurowings is ... well, a disaster. On top of all that LO is growing and stealing LH's market. It will be super interesting to follow where things go from there.

I thought that SN was profitable, but only at a very minimal level?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

emre787

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:22 pm

runway23 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

LH always acts like a child if something like this happens...

For example their relationship with Turkish Airlines in the past. They invited TK to join Star Alliance and codeshared with them to Istanbul and beyond to Asia where LH at that time really suffered a lot. Heck, they even established a carrier for nearly only Turkey - Germany flights, SunExpress, because of the vast turkish diaspora living in Germany. But while that happened TK of course wanted to get more into the german market and in the end many FF from LH only took TK to Asia because of the convinience (IIRC TK at that time even flew to more german cities than LH did :lol: )

And what happened?

LH got angry like today with LO which ended up in the cancellation of all codeshares between TK and the LH Group... Also TK flights since then are useless to collect Miles with a Miles and Smiles account.

Therefore I really hope the best for Lot! :)

Sorry if this was a bit off-topic, but wanted to say it because of the similarity of the situation

konrad

Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:25 pm

OceanAir wrote:
*Long term LO should definitely reconsider its STAR ALLIANCE membership*

I respectfully diagree. Star Alliance is the alliance of choice for any business traveller in Central and Eastern Europe, anywhere between Sweden and Greece. Sky Team is non-existent, One World is limited to Finnair in the north. LOT itself is too weak to balance the SA hubs at FRA, MUC, CPH, VIE and ZRH. They get more advantage by being the small team player than by separating themselves. E.g. they get a lot of Lufthansa frequent flyers from secondary airports in Germany (HAM, HAJ, DUS, NUE, STR, TXL) to connect in WAW for eastward travel (NRT, ICN, PEK, and all the cities in Eastern Europe). In a similar way they get a fraction of SA: LH/OS customers from Sofia, Bucharest, the Baltics, to connect via WAW if travel times and fares are convenient.

tomgle

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:48 am

LOT have announced weekly flights between Rzeszow and Zadar for the Summer, starting 30/05.

Delta777Jet

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:02 pm

emre787 wrote:
runway23 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

LH always acts like a child if something like this happens...

LH Group missed a lot of opportunities. I remember very well the time Wizz Air was starting up. They used the maintenance facility of LH Group and barely could pay the bills. LH considered an investment into Wizz at the time, but declined in the end. LH could have saved hundred of millions in their adventures with Germanwings, Eurowings etc. just by investing...

Same opportunity they had with LOT and may be even with Turkish.

I'm not surprised that TK is so successful. Their on board product, specially business class is the best of all European airlines. Their new airport seem to have no limitation and is perfectly situated between Europe and Asia and East Africa. They successfully connect small German cities with Asia through Istanbul and offering even on the shortest European flights a superb on board experience and nowadays also punctuality !
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

debonair

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:42 pm

EuroAtlantic Airways back with N767-300ER:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/cs-tkr

SRQLOT

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:09 pm

tomgle wrote:
LOT have announced weekly flights between Rzeszow and Zadar for the Summer, starting 30/05.

Also Gdańsk weekly too for the Summer, although that should be almost daily.

parrotta

Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:13 pm

Long Haul lodfactors from BUD in 2019
LOT did not perform the best, but the winners are summer seasonal flights, LOT is year around.

https://budflyer.blog.hu/2020/02/08/igy ... k_2019-ben

artflyer

Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:40 pm

It's pure O&D on both sides of the pond so the LF of BUD-JFK-BUD is understandibly bad (68.3% yearly average). It maybe could work with a 209 seater like AA's BUD-PHL-BUD. Because LF is bad, the fares are low to prevent big leakage of O&D pax to indirect flights.

There will be no change in 2020, except for increasing the number of weekly flights during summer at the expense of cancellation of ORD, so we shall see a similar result for 2020. They are apparently still hoping that pure O&D will do the job.

Still with a decent feed coming from a close-by places that have no link with WAW, so as not to fight for the same passanger from two places, and with that level of O&D, it could work.

georgiabill

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:44 pm

Out of curiosity how did Malev perform on the BUD-JFK-BUD route? I know a different time smaller aircraft the 763. Just being curious.

Blerg

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:57 am

Wow those LO numbers are bad, transfers or not. What surprises me the most is that Korean is launching BUD even with LO registering such average performance (17.612 passengers, LF 80%). Maybe they think they can kick them out and perform better once they factor in the transfers via ICN?

I wonder if BUD-USA can work without feed long-term. Let's see how long this adventure lasts. Does anyone know how LO is performing financially in Budapest?

artflyer

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:35 am

Blerg wrote:
Wow those LO numbers are bad, transfers or not. What surprises me the most is that Korean is launching BUD even with LO registering such average performance (17.612 passengers, LF 80%). Maybe they think they can kick them out and perform better once they factor in the transfers via ICN?

I wonder if BUD-USA can work without feed long-term. Let's see how long this adventure lasts. Does anyone know how LO is performing financially in Budapest?

I respectfully disagree. How many JFK routes from Europe do we know that have O&D of 68%? I for one don't expect WAW, FRA or MUC to be one of them (having of course in mind the difference in offering). So what is missing is just a small addition of transfer pax on the Hungarian side, on top of exiting O&D pax and the loads will be satifactory. Having said that we know little about fares and nothing about interest for J from/to BUD, and that would be necessary to make the picture more complete.

As to ICN, 80% is just for part of the year (mid-Sept to Dec). We don't know to what extent this was the result of introductory fares and what will be the effect of Korean. Still that is pretty good for a start. LO's LF WAW-ICN-WAW is 87% (summer 2019) / 84% (winter 2018) (however with a much bigger offering). Just to compare, the European airline with the lowest LF to/from ICN is OK, respectively, 82% / 75% and the average for European airlines for this period is 88% / 83%.

I certainly expect LO to be losing money in BUD, but they don't publish separate results for BUD, so we won't know how much. Overall even after this year expansion it is only about 5% of total existing ASK and 2% of seats, so pretty small. To make things short: I expect this to be a long-lasting story.

Blerg

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:38 am

artflyer wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I respectfully disagree. How many JFK routes from Europe do we know that have O&D of 68%? I for one don't expect WAW, FRA or MUC to be one of them (having of course in mind the difference in offering). So what is missing is just a small addition of transfer pax on the Hungarian side, on top of exiting O&D pax and the loads will be satifactory. Having said that we know little about fares and nothing about interest for J from/to BUD, and that would be necessary to make the picture more complete.

As to ICN, 80% is just for part of the year (mid-Sept to Dec). We don't know to what extent this was the result of introductory fares and what will be the effect of Korean. Still that is pretty good for a start. LO's LF WAW-ICN-WAW is 87% (summer 2019) / 84% (winter 2018) (however with a much bigger offering). Just to compare, the European airline with the lowest LF to/from ICN is OK, respectively, 82% / 75% and the average for European airlines for this period is 88% / 83%.

I certainly expect LO to be losing money in BUD, but they don't publish separate results for BUD, so we won't know how much. Overall even after this year expansion it is only about 5% of total existing ASK and 2% of seats, so pretty small. To make things short: I expect this to be a long-lasting story.

Well as far as BUD-JFK goes, without knowing what the average fare is and if they are getting subsidies for it, we won't know if this result is the result of actual market demand or if it was 'artificially' stimulated. Long term this Hungarian adventure will cost a lot of money and we will have to wait and see how it will play out, at this point anything is possible.

tomgle

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:35 pm

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/l ... 58.article

PGL are planning to start replacing Condor’s 767s by 2024.

artflyer

Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:44 am

Due to coronavirus LO reduces BUD-ICN-BUD from three to two weekly (WAW-ICN for now stays unchanged at five weekly). Three weekly is expected to resume to/from BUD on 30 March. Apart from that and suspension of WAW-PEK/PKX-WAW no other changes yet.

In supplement to last year's discussion about new destination OSR: from 31 August flights will be increased from 5 weekly to 10 weekly, following a proportional increase in subsidies from the local Czech self-governmental unit.

https://www.pasazer.com/news/43415/lot, ... trawy.html

https://www.pasazer.com/news/43410/lot, ... seulu.html

tomgle

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:55 pm

I wonder how lot is doing financially now with the coronavirus outbreak. I was on an LO A320 AMS-WAW a few days ago and it was very empty...

tomgle

Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:58 pm

Tomorrow (10/3), SP-LLG, the last 737-400 in the fleet will make its final flight (for LOT at least). Does anyone know what will happen to it, as well as to the other 734s retired recently (LE and LF)? https://www.instagram.com/p/B9g3cfHAiyk ... r6wma2w15s

SRQLOT

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:09 pm

tomgle wrote:
Tomorrow (10/3), SP-LLG, the last 737-400 in the fleet will make its final flight (for LOT at least). Does anyone know what will happen to it, as well as to the other 734s retired recently (LE and LF)? https://www.instagram.com/p/B9g3cfHAiyk ... r6wma2w15s

The other two are being converted to cargo, this one also. I don’t remember who is converting them or which airline is going to fly them. There was a lot of hate going towards LOT for not announcing the last flight last time the news came out about the 737-400s leaving the fleet right away, and I was surprised that they decided to keep one a bit longer and that now it will have hopefully a proper goodbye.

tomgle

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:05 pm

Actually, why are they being retired? Surely it would be cheaper to operate these a bit longer while the max is grounded, rather than wet-leasing planes all the time?

SRQLOT

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:03 pm

tomgle wrote:
Actually, why are they being retired? Surely it would be cheaper to operate these a bit longer while the max is grounded, rather than wet-leasing planes all the time?

It’s been a while, but I think right after they went thru refurbishment they started having terrible dispatch reliability. There were times the 737-400s were on the ground for weeks or months and even all 3 at times??? Anyone else knows how bad it got?

SRQLOT

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:59 pm

Blerg

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:33 am

Has LO cancelled/reduced some flights due to the virus? I mean besides Italy.

LOT767SP-LPA

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:46 am

LOT suspended all flights to Italy since last monday

konrad

Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:07 am

Blerg wrote:
Has LO cancelled/reduced some flights due to the virus? I mean besides Italy.

WAW-MXP and VCE cancelled till April 3.
WAW-PEK and PKX cancelled till April 25
BUD-ICN cancelled till Aprill 8 (WAW-ICN continuing)
Flights to TLV reduced (altough I don't see how they can run any flights to TLV with the present Israeli arrival restrictions).

Announced yesterday: WAW and BUD to LCY to be temporarily suspended, also KRK-OTP and WAW-OZH.
New route WAW-OSR to be postponed till September. Frequency reductions of many other routes.

tomgle

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:25 pm

Apparently LOT are reconsidering their acquisition of Condor, due to Coronavirus. https://wyborcza.pl/7,155287,25778497,s ... ndora.html (source in Polish)

jbs2886

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:28 pm

tomgle wrote:
Apparently LOT are reconsidering their acquisition of Condor, due to Coronavirus. https://wyborcza.pl/7,155287,25778497,s ... ndora.html (source in Polish)

Probably trying to get a price reduction.

Blerg

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:30 pm

If LO really backs down then is it safe to assume Condor will suffer a certain death? I remember Lufthansa being the other option but with their network collapsing left and right I highly doubt they can afford this adventure.

SRQLOT

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:24 pm

LOT stops flights on WAW-LAX, MIA and EWR, and BUD- JFK

WAW-JFK and ORD, and KRK-ORD will continue at this time.

https://www.rynek-lotniczy.pl/mobile/lo ... -8058.html

Question as to all the wet leased aircraft, can LOT quickly stop them as obviously no need now for borrowed equipment?

Blerg

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Interesting how LO has discontinued EWR but kept JFK, the exact opposite of what LH and LX did, they cut JFK and kept EWR. Could it because LO doesn't have such a great relationship with UA?

onwFan

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:45 pm

Blerg wrote:
Interesting how LO has discontinued EWR but kept JFK, the exact opposite of what LH and LX did, they cut JFK and kept EWR. Could it because LO doesn't have such a great relationship with UA?

True, and the LH-LO spat will only widen the rift beyween LO and UA. But also, EWR was resumed only recently. JFK has been their long-standing NYC gateway.

Blerg

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:54 pm

onwFan wrote:
Blerg wrote:

True, and the LH-LO spat will only widen the rift beyween LO and UA. But also, EWR was resumed only recently. JFK has been their long-standing NYC gateway.

I guess Polish diaspora is also more used to flying out of JFK. Interestingly LX has considerably reduced their ORD operations. A friend of mine was supposed to fly out to ZRH from ORD a few days ago, flight was cancelled and he was rebooked on LO. I wouldn't be surprised if LO profits massively from LH Group meltdown in US since they have a much larger diaspora to rely on.

hoons90

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:55 pm

It's shocking to see LO still flying WAW-ICN when even AY and LH are suspending flights there.

Things are starting to dramatically improve in Korea so who knows, maybe they'll continue to hang on to their ICN route.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

AIRT0M

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:21 pm

LH hasn't suspened ICN. There is one in the air right now.

SRQLOT

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:27 pm

hoons90 wrote:
It's shocking to see LO still flying WAW-ICN when even AY and LH are suspending flights there.

Things are starting to dramatically improve in Korea so who knows, maybe they'll continue to hang on to their ICN route.

Poland has been doing temperature checks at the airports early on with the situation in Asia so maybe they feel more confident in flying the ICN, and is the plan to bring back the China flights still on with the current time frame?

SRQLOT

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:43 pm

Well this is BREAKING NEWS!!!

LOT will stop all international and domestic flights from Poland and Hungry for 10 DAYS!!!! Starting March 15.

This is the cause of Polish government closing down borders.

In polish.
https://www.rynek-lotniczy.pl/mobile/lo ... -8072.html

Blerg

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:59 am

Hopefully someone takes a picture of Warsaw with all the planes grounded there though I assume other airports will be used as well?

By the way, with the borders closed, does it mean exports by road are also suspended? If so this might harm the Polish economy.

BlueSky1976

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:52 am

Today (14.03.2020) is 40 year anniversary of LO007 air disaster, which took place on this day in 1980. Officially - due to faulty turbine shaft. With time, more and more evidence becomes available proving that actual cause was poor maintenance of aircraft engines by airline mechanics.

All 88 souls on board perished.
The queen of the skies is dead.

tomgle

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:20 am

BlueSky1976 wrote:
Today (14.03.2020) is 40 year anniversary of LO007 air disaster, which took place on this day in 1980. Officially - due to faulty turbine shaft. With time, more and more evidence becomes available proving that actual cause was poor maintenance of aircraft engines by airline mechanics.

All 88 souls on board perished.

I think the actual reason was a combination of poor maintenance and practices by LOT that pushed the engines to their limit, but the engines also had manufacturing faults that hurt their reliability.

Nonetheless, a terrible tragedy, and eerily similar to the crash of LO5055.

tomgle

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:23 am

Blerg wrote:
Hopefully someone takes a picture of Warsaw with all the planes grounded there though I assume other airports will be used as well?

By the way, with the borders closed, does it mean exports by road are also suspended? If so this might harm the Polish economy.

The borders will remain open for trade, although it anyway is hard to see how the economy could come out of this unscathed. Apparently there will also be some charter flights to return Polish citizens back home. Also, all arrivals will have to self quarantine for 14 days.
Last edited by tomgle on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

intrance

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:24 am

Blerg wrote:
I’m flying out of Warsaw tonight, will be interesting how it looks :P.

Blerg

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:42 am

tomgle wrote:
Blerg wrote:

The borders will remain open for trade, although it anyway is hard to see how the economy could come out of this unscathed. Apparently there will also be some charter flights to return Polish citizens back home. Also, all arrivals will have to self quarantine for 14 days.

That's good to know since the company I work with has its production in Poland, more specifically in Wroclaw. I think LO being grounded alone will cost the Polish government a lot. I wonder if it was just easier to have massive testing like the South Koreans did in stead of shutting down the country.