Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Orlando Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:25 pm

Welcome to the Orlando Aviation Thread - 2020. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411845
Forum Moderator

Scraig08

Re: Orlando Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:19 pm

What are some predictions for this upcoming year? I think DL will start service to either CDG or LHR (hopefully)

flymco753

Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:54 pm

I'd love to see some more TATL from DL here. I think naturally we're going to see DL add AUS on a CRJ-900 to start at once a day. If DL is serious about their focus city initiative, I'd assume we'd see daily CRJ-900 service to BNA as well. Perhaps 9E or OO could route an aircraft BNA-MCO-AUS-MCO-BNA or something of the likes. I don't see them adding SJC without any additional feed, SJC has LAS as their leisure point. A flight to CDG certainly doesn't seem like it would be out of the realm of possibilities though!
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

CobaltScar

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:26 pm

Looking forward to the south terminal taking shape and the anticipated growth of B6 when they move in!

BrodieBruce

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:31 pm

Would love to see DL add CDG, or at least announce it, this year.

mcogator

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:45 pm

MCO should finish well over 50 million pax for 2019. They're at 50.1 m on a rolling 12 months, which includes the closure for the hurricane.

https://orlandoairports.net/press/2019/ ... l-airport/
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

juan885

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:56 pm

Will the seasonal LY flight be back for 2020?
There's been some interesting seasonal adds to MCO lately. Just flew on the AR EZE-MCO flight yesterday. Hoping it does well

MAH4546

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:15 pm

juan885 wrote:
Will the seasonal LY flight be back for 2020?
There's been some interesting seasonal adds to MCO lately. Just flew on the AR EZE-MCO flight yesterday. Hoping it does well

El Al not coming back. Doing a fourth flight to MIA instead.
a.

crownvic

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:34 pm

There was talk last summer of Qantas bringing an A380 charter in January. Is this still on?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1424391&p=21424329#p21424329
Last edited by crownvic on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonicruiser

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:36 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
El Al not coming back. Doing a fourth flight to MIA instead.

Sh*t. I knew I should've spotted it here at MCO when I had the chance.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

Airside4

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:20 pm

I mean, we have a very small population on our end that would use El Al. It was nice having them but it wasn't exactly practical for what we need in Orlando. Emirates exists because of the lack of good connection opportunities to India and Pakistan. There's a few Pakistani students at UCF that use EK often.

I think the next nail that needs to be hit on the head is securing a flight to Asia. Tokyo would be our best option, but we would need some connecting traffic that would come from the Tokyo end that would be from China and Korea. Sadly as mentioned in the 2019 by flymco753, we're fighting MIA who has a stronger business case and can put higher paying clientele in their seats.

flymco753

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:16 pm

Airside4 wrote:
I think the next nail that needs to be hit on the head is securing a flight to Asia. Tokyo would be our best option, but we would need some connecting traffic that would come from the Tokyo end that would be from China and Korea. Sadly as mentioned in the 2019 by flymco753, we're fighting MIA who has a stronger business case and can put higher paying clientele in their seats.
Correct. I'd like to see DL or a partner try Asia from here because I feel like people in Central Florida and Asia know and use Delta. Perhaps ICN really isn't far fetched on Korean. I'd be interested to see how GOAA pulls it off.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

Ishrion

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:31 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Airside4 wrote:
Correct. I'd like to see DL or a partner try Asia from here because I feel like people in Central Florida and Asia know and use Delta. Perhaps ICN really isn't far fetched on Korean. I'd be interested to see how GOAA pulls it off.

Orlando has been in talks with ANA and JAL, supposedly more lately. Additionally, they’ve been talking with JAL’s new LCC, ZIPAIR, which would be a good fit for the airport.

flymco753

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 pm

Ishrion wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Airside4 wrote:

Orlando has been in talks with ANA and JAL, supposedly more lately. Additionally, they’ve been talking with JAL’s new LCC, ZIPAIR, which would be a good fit for the airport.
As long as there is feed on the Asia end this could work. I would assume it would be around the likes of 3x weekly to start. I don't see us with daily Asia service just yet.

crownvic

Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:21 pm

Qantas A380?? anyone??? yes? no?

Scraig08

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:57 pm

I can see WN taking advantage of adding SNA to MCO. Connect both Disney parks with each other. I's like to see DL add more P2P routes out of MCO preferably PDX, an airport in the Bay Area, BNA, AUS, maybe a couple in the Northeast to compete with JetBlue/Southwest. I don't foresee MCO getting service to east-Asia this season but they could announce new service sometime this year maybe. MCO is really unpredictable when it comes to getting new service additions.

jplatts

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Scraig08 wrote:
I can see WN taking advantage of adding SNA to MCO. Connect both Disney parks with each other. I's like to see DL add more P2P routes out of MCO preferably PDX, an airport in the Bay Area, BNA, AUS, maybe a couple in the Northeast to compete with JetBlue/Southwest. I don't foresee MCO getting service to east-Asia this season but they could announce new service sometime this year maybe. MCO is really unpredictable when it comes to getting new service additions.

I do not see WN adding MCO-SNA nonstop service anytime soon since SNA has slot restrictions and limits on the number of passengers per year and since WN has had to drop nonstop service to SNA out of AUS, MDW, DAL, HOU, MCI, PDX, STL, SFO, and SEA during the last 3 years due to WN losing slots at SNA.

WN adding MCO-LAX nonstop service is more likely to happen than WN adding MCO-SNA nonstop service with WN now having more room at LAX to add more flights subsequent to the completion of Terminal 1 renovations at LAX. WN will also be able to further expand at LAX once Concourse 0 is built at LAX.

flymco753

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:50 pm

crownvic wrote:
Qantas A380?? anyone??? yes? no?
From what I understand it's still on. If I don't have to work I will be ready for pictures. If I have to work I'll be working right during the time it'll be here.

musman9853

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:57 pm

MCO on Twitter posted a survey asking if people were interested in flights to Tokyo
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

musman9853

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Also an 15 year old made it through TSA with a coupon lmao

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lif ... ar-BBYV0d2

flymco753

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:12 pm

musman9853 wrote:
MCO on Twitter posted a survey asking if people were interested in flights to Tokyo
I think at this point, the new Japanese ULCC is going to be the best target because they can fly the route 3x/wk and establish good margins. I still think MIA will get the go ahead first for some kind of service to Asia. Remember, Asian traffic is very heavily skewed towards Asia-Orlando and not vice versa.

sonicruiser

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:25 pm

Airside4 wrote:
Emirates exists because of the lack of good connection opportunities to India and Pakistan. There's a few Pakistani students at UCF that use EK often.

Yes, to add specifically on that, it is because of the utter lack of European connections from MCO.

MIflyer12

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:38 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I think naturally we're going to see DL add AUS on a CRJ-900 to start at once a day.

IMHO, the CR9 is too high-cost a plane for that distance on a leisure route. Maybe a Sat-only 738 instead, to start, against $44 fares from Frontier (and non-stops from Spirit and JetBlue, too).

flymco753

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:44 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Airside4 wrote:
Emirates exists because of the lack of good connection opportunities To India and Pakistan. There's a few Pakistani students at UCF that use EK often.

Yes, to add specifically on that, it is because of the utter lack of European connections from MCO.
It's gotten better. We have AMS & FRA now. If BA flew to LHR there'd be more opportunities. I still think we have room to squeeze in a Delta flight to CDG to connect better to regions that require a back track on EK.

sonicruiser

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:41 pm

flymco753 wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
Airside4 wrote:
Emirates exists because of the lack of good connection opportunities To India and Pakistan. There's a few Pakistani students at UCF that use EK often.

It's gotten better. We have AMS & FRA now. If BA flew to LHR there'd be more opportunities. I still think we have room to squeeze in a Delta flight to CDG to connect better to regions that require a back track on EK.

If MCO gets TYO, I think it would be the first US airport to get a Tokyo flight before a LHR flight. It is nothing short of astounding that LHR isn't higher on MCO's list of priorities. I'm not sure why they're struggling so much with it.

Ishrion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:47 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

If MCO gets TYO, I think it would be the first US airport to get a Tokyo flight before a LHR flight. It is nothing short of astounding that LHR isn't higher on MCO's list of priorities. I'm not sure why they're struggling so much with it.

HNL doesn’t have LHR but already has multiple flights to Japan including TYO. :spin: MCO however would be the first mainland U.S. airport.

And... London is already served from MCO with Gatwick. Is it necessary to have Heathrow?

musman9853

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 pm

flymco753 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
I think at this point, the new Japanese ULCC is going to be the best target because they can fly the route 3x/wk and establish good margins. I still think MIA will get the go ahead first for some kind of service to Asia. Remember, Asian traffic is very heavily skewed towards Asia-Orlando and not vice versa.

Isn't jal starting a new lcc?

flflyer

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Remembering when DL operated MCO-FRA and MCO-CDG.

flymco753

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Ishrion wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

HNL doesn’t have LHR but already has multiple flights to Japan including TYO. :spin: MCO however would be the first mainland U.S. airport.

And... London is already served from MCO with Gatwick. Is it necessary to have Heathrow?
GOAA is doing a great job researching LHR and I think realistically that the conclusion is, they want LHR to yield high so, business per se.

IFlyVeryLittle

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:17 pm

When and if the Pie in the Sky train from MCO to Miami is up and running, does anyone think this will have an effect on new service? As if the train to South Florida might serve as a connection of sorts?

william

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:29 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
When and if the Pie in the Sky train from MCO to Miami is up and running, does anyone think this will have an effect on new service? As if the train to South Florida might serve as a connection of sorts?

Pie in the Sky? Dirt is moving as we speak to complete it. A major lawsuit to stop it was settled or dismissed recently. Its happening.

My question why are there not more flights between MCO-South Florida? TSA decimated that route too?

musman9853

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:27 pm

william wrote:
IFlyVeryLittle wrote:

Pie in the Sky? Dirt is moving as we speak to complete it. A major lawsuit to stop it was settled or dismissed recently. Its happening.

My question why are there not more flights between MCO-South Florida? TSA decimated that route too?

It doesn't really make sense to fly to Miami. And there's not much else below there

MAH4546

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:39 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:

It's not pie and the sky. It is already running between Miami and Palm Beach and literally under construction.

Miami-Orlando is very well served as is. Don't think there will be much change. While there is a decent local market, a lot of it is connecting to LatAm and Europe.
a.

IFlyVeryLittle

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Running, yes, but hauling a lot of air and empty seats back and forth.
MAH4546 wrote:
IFlyVeryLittle wrote:

It's not pie and the sky. It is already running between Miami and Palm Beach and literally under construction.

Miami-Orlando is very well served as is. Don't think there will be much change. While there is a decent local market, a lot of it is connecting to LatAm and Europe.

n2dru

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:00 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Actually it wouldn't be. ATL, DFW and IAH all had NRT flights before LHR. They all had LGW flights like MCO until 2008 when Bermuda 2 ended.

MAH4546

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:30 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
Running, yes, but hauling a lot of air and empty seats back and forth.

No.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/brightline ... 1-million/
a.

flymco753

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:45 pm

Apparently Wamos is starting Sanford to Madrid, interesting move. I just wonder where traffic from Spain does here. Theme parks?

IberiaA319

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:56 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Apparently Wamos is starting Sanford to Madrid, interesting move. I just wonder where traffic from Spain does here. Theme parks?

As suggested in the South Florida Avition thread I am posting this also here:

Wamos will start a weekly route MAD-SFB, Madrid - Orlando Sanford International Airport (secondary airport of Orlando) for the summer season on Saturdays with an A330-300 between 27th June and 22nd August. Wamos is offering through their own website and through travel agencies in Spain holiday packages in Orlando offering all-inclusive trips with flights and hotels, 7 hotels in the Lake Buena Vista area and near theme parks were selected for these packages. The flights are not available through GDS although flight tickets can be purchased independently without the holiday packages. Wamos offers holiday packages and flights from Spain to leisure destinations in Cancun, Dominican Republic and Cuba.

Schedule.

EB-6044
14:25h MADRID (MAD)
18:00h ORLANDO (SFB)

EB-6144
20:30h ORLANDO (SFB)
11:00h MADRID (MAD)

More info: https://www.hosteltur.com/133843_wamos- ... erano.html

flymco753

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:05 pm

IberiaA319 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

As suggested in the South Florida Avition thread I am posting this also here:

Wamos will start a weekly route MAD-SFB, Madrid - Orlando Sanford International Airport (secondary airport of Orlando) for the summer season on Saturdays with an A330-300 between 27th June and 22nd August. Wamos is offering through their own website and through travel agencies in Spain holiday packages in Orlando offering all-inclusive trips with flights and hotels, 7 hotels in the Lake Buena Vista area and near theme parks were selected for these packages. The flights are not available through GDS although flight tickets can be purchased independently without the holiday packages. Wamos offers holiday packages and flights from Spain to leisure destinations in Cancun, Dominican Republic and Cuba.

Schedule.

EB-6044
14:25h MADRID (MAD)
18:00h ORLANDO (SFB)

EB-6144
20:30h ORLANDO (SFB)
11:00h MADRID (MAD)

More info: https://www.hosteltur.com/133843_wamos- ... erano.html
Vacation packages, thank you.

Scraig08

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:02 pm

Since the first phase of Terminal C is expected to open up next year, is MCO projected to see an influx in new international service? I know that JetBlue has stated that they'll add more flights but that's all I know so far

dabpit

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Silver Airways is launching a Daily flight from MCO to CHS starting May 21st.
http://www.silverairways.com/about-silv ... a-gateways
Carpe Diem

flymco753

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:56 pm

Scraig08 wrote:
Since the first phase of Terminal C is expected to open up next year, is MCO projected to see an influx in new international service? I know that JetBlue has stated that they'll add more flights but that's all I know so far
The Coronavirus is hitting us hard in CFL in terms of the business traffic we do have so for now I think any international expansion from MCO is on hold unless it's budget. We're definitely not seeing Asia relatively soon, now.

mcogator

Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:00 am

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronav ... story.html

Interesting tidbits

- 2,596 pax on Monday. Down 96.6% from this time last year.
- None of the 800 employess furloughed or hours cut.
-110 airplanes parked
- $325/day-$487/day gate parking if gate isnt leased.
-$89/day-$133.50/day remote parking
-Mondays QR flight from Doha to Miami had 7 pax
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

KMCOFlyer

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:16 pm

Well who would have thought it would have taken a global pandemic, but MCO is finally getting a LHR flight. VS announced today that it will resume service to MCO on 7/20 and the flight will now be serviced via LHR.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/virgin-at ... ronavirus/

crownvic

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:25 pm

I started a different thread earlier today but no one could answer it, does anyone know why Emirates ran a 777 into MCO today from EWR? Did it park on the West ramp as a cargo PPE flight?

crownvic

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:51 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Well who would have thought it would have taken a global pandemic, but MCO is finally getting a LHR flight. VS announced today that it will resume service to MCO on 7/20 and the flight will now be serviced via LHR.

This is great news...its bittersweet losing the 747's but to be on the short list of roll out cities is really a plus...Curious to see what equipment most likely A330..

jomur

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:06 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:

But for now long? VS owe millions in non payment of cancelled flights, having repaid hardly any one since April, and will go bust if forced to pay out more promptly and not in the 100 days they are currently say it takes. VS have lost the good will of quite a few of the Disney forums with passengers vowing not to book with them again.

KFTG

Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:34 am

VS LHR-MCO opb 787-9 equipment.

727LOVER

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:13 pm

When did the current terminal open? I know it was 1981, but when?

IIRC, AA was in Airside 1...Delta was in Airside 3. That makes me think this is the old terminal.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos