Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 8
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:51 am

Devilfish wrote:
carlokiii wrote:
Too bad there hasn't been much photos from spotters in MNL as it has been getting rare flights, like Austrian's 77E and Cambodia's A319 recently.

The spotters are most likely grounded by the ECQ as well. :boxedin: Likewise, photo updates of the construction at CRK T2 and the renovation at NAIA T2 have stopped appearing. :camera:


With ECQ still up until the 14th, plane spotting near the perimeter of NAIA were discouraged, although some within the approach points manage to take photos of it at the comfort of their homes. All construction works, including airport projects were suspended until further notice.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:15 pm

SkyHigher wrote:
With ECQ still up until the 14th, plane spotting near the perimeter of NAIA were discouraged, although some within the approach points manage to take photos of it at the comfort of their homes.

Good thing media men still manage to take photos like this.....

Image

https://www.philstar.com/happens/856



In the meantime, PAL had announced the cancellation of the one-off repatriation flight to/from London and the steps being taken to mount another recovery flight.....

https://www.philippineairlines.com/Abou ... 31mar20-44
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:23 pm

Saw this too late to edit and include in the above post...apparently, the repatriation flights to London are scheduled for 07 April 2020.



A feature in Esquire Magazine indicates that CRK T2 construction is finally finished..... :thumbsup: .....

https://www.esquiremag.ph/money/movers/ ... 4gg0cZwdhY


I assume the consortium will just takeover the PTB interior completions, equipment installation, commissioning and testing, both airside and landside. With the ECQ and drastic aviation ops stoppage, there may not be a too critical need to rush Terminal 2 for a soft opening.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
Philippine747
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:24 pm

XiamenAir 787 landed earlier in MNL carrying supplies and medical personnel.

Speaking of supplies... a PAL A330 (RP-C8760) flew a roundtrip (MNL-XMN-MNL) yesterday to pick up supplies. Some cargo was strapped to seats, marking PAL's entry into the "combi" club :P
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:32 pm

Devilfish wrote:
...apparently, the repatriation flights to London are scheduled for 07 April 2020.

The corresponding advisory from PAL.....

https://www.philippineairlines.com/Abou ... 31mar20-44


Philippine747 wrote:
XiamenAir 787 landed earlier in MNL carrying supplies and medical personnel.

Grateful for the help...though wondering if those were all they're carrying..... :scratchchin: .....

Image
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EU0Yxh6U0AA ... name=small

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020 ... s-covid-19



On another matter...given the crippling impact of COVID-19 on aviation and the withdrawal of one of their bigger members from the group, might the Tenacious Six be losing interest in the NAIA Redevelopment project now :?: If so, the GMR/AdP group is well positioned to propose (should they see fit) to undertake the work having recently done two major airports in the country...while AdP had the CRK Master Plan and unused T2 design under its belt...and was responsible for the NAIA Centennial Terminal as well.

Image
https://i.imgur.com/TOID68Y.jpg

However, considering the big reduction in scope, the NAIA Consortium's revised conceptual design above seems more appropriate now for the requirements...compared to Megaworld/GMR's original proposal which involve extensive disturbance of existing facilities, including the military's.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:30 pm

Megawide/GMR CEO assures that the ongoing lockdown won't unduly delay CRK T2's opening.....

https://business.inquirer.net/294335/lo ... completion



Elsewhere - on a lighter note to uplift our sagging spirits - a social media user is being investigated for comments about government's acquisition of a business jet.....

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020 ... healthcare

Image
https://media.philstar.com/photos/2019/ ... -34-58.jpg


I'd go out on a limb and say it's a justifiable expense given the need to isolate the country's leaders on official trips, especially during this current outbreak. The choice would be this at least if it were up to me..... :cheerful: .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pGuSxUEWHY


Lest lesser officials feel left out and since the government have had dealings with the Italians - provided they could get it cheaper and packaged with timely spares and tech support considering the company is under receivership - there's this for their countryside outreach programs..... :bigthumbsup: .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A65V5ZRbKsA


That is, while waiting for the A221XLR to become a reality! Much less expensive and disrupting than yanking a 77W or an A359 from scheduled service and chartering the whole plane for the travel's duration. :airplane:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:28 pm

Apparently, even posters here have been "quarantined" by COVID-19. :boxedin: Anyway, this Philstar piece chronicles PAL's challenges over the decades, as it ends its 8th in March next year..... :old:

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... rld-war-ii


In passing, it is perhaps appropriate to light the SEAG flame in CRK on this Day of Valor to honor all those giving their all so others can survive this terrible pandemic..... :candle: .....

Image
https://media.philstar.com/photos/2019/ ... -03-38.jpg


O.T.: And since we still have a year...is it at all practical to dismantle the above and reassemble it at the Libingan ng mga Bayani as an eternal flame to commemorate the country's quincentennial :?: The Games' venue could have a raised "cauldron" instead on the vacated base for subsequent sporting events. :trophy:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
Philippine747
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:29 pm

An interesting thing to note: the PAL "indefinite" summer timetable on their website does not show the DVO-MDC and ZAM-BKI flights anymore. CEB-LAX is still listed for a May 2 first flight.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:55 pm

Philippine747 wrote:
CEB-LAX is still listed for a May 2 first flight.

Maybe PR have great bookings on that flight in spite of COVID-19 and are hoping that the 30 April ECQ deadline would hold? But will the A359 flight be allowed into LAX? :alert:


Speaking of which, another seafarer repatriation flight on BA landed at MNL.....

Image

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2020/04/1 ... ove-11000/
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:15 pm

PAL to mount special MEL-MNL flight on April 19 using A330-343.....



https://www.philippineairlines.com/Abou ... 13apr20-50

PR 210 Melbourne to Manila
(April 19, Sunday)
Departure from Melbourne (MEL): 8:00 AM local time
Arrival in Manila (MNL): 2:40 PM local time


This one-off Australia-Manila flight will be allowed to carry only Filipino nationals/Philippine passport holders, their foreign spouse and children, and accredited officials of foreign governments and international organizations, to comply with current Philippine travel entry restrictions.



In line with the above, the carrier outlined its plan for the month of May.....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... on-flights



Elsewhere, it's not clear how COVID-19 and this could affect the proposed NMIA project..... :pray:

https://business.inquirer.net/294637/jo ... away-at-26
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:50 pm

SMC charters PR 77W to bring in PPEs from China..... :praise: .....

Image

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2020/04/1 ... es-in-phl/

Quote:
"Company President and CEO Ramon S. Ang said the firm has chartered the aircraft from Philippine Airlines, a company that it once controlled, and filled it with PPE sourced from suppliers in China, which will be donated to various hospitals in Luzon.

The shipment consists of 40,000 hazmat suits and goggles seen to help boost local supply of medical-grade PPEs. Local manufacturers are ramping up production capacity."
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:15 pm

The PPE shipment for distribution.....

Image

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... sets-china

"Employee volunteers of SMC repack 40,000 sets of medical-grade PPEs that the company recently acquired to donate to medical front liners fighting the COVID-19 virus. The PPEs, sourced from suppliers in China, arrived Wednesday via a chartered Philippine Airlines Boeing 777 aircraft."



The sad return of a Philippine envoy via QA..... :pray:

Image

https://globalnation.inquirer.net/18688 ... rive-in-ph
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
fusionliner
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:30 pm

 
Zephyrhills
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:48 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:08 am

Iberia is due to operate a repatriation flight, presumably MAD-MNL and vice versa, by the end of April. Press release follows (in Spanish):

https://grupo.iberia.es/news/17042020/bangkok-sdney-manila-cabo-verde-asuncin-y-santa-cruz-de-la-sierra-nuevos-destinos-de-los-vuelos-de-repatriacin-de-iberia
 
carlokiii
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:26 am

Zephyrhills wrote:
Iberia is due to operate a repatriation flight, presumably MAD-MNL and vice versa, by the end of April. Press release follows (in Spanish):

https://grupo.iberia.es/news/17042020/bangkok-sdney-manila-cabo-verde-asuncin-y-santa-cruz-de-la-sierra-nuevos-destinos-de-los-vuelos-de-repatriacin-de-iberia

Another airline in addition to the steady stream of flights from Spain to MNL courtesy of Wamos, Condor, Privilege Style. Must be the cruise ships.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:18 am

Emirates to operate one more flight each on April 20, 22 and 24 respectively, to repatriate Filipinos from UAE to Manila.....

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2020/04/1 ... ys-in-uae/

"CLARK FREEPORT—Emirates is planning to mount three more flights from Dubai to Manila on April 20, 22 and 24 to help more Filipinos in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) get back home.

A news statement from Emirates on Friday said this follows the successful operation of two flights to Manila this week which have already brought many Filipino residents and visitors back home."




In the meantime, a further 863 more seafarers arrived from Miami, Florida on Saturday, April 18 at NAIA on board two Wamos Air flights.....


Image

https://globalnation.inquirer.net/18695 ... -miami-dfa

"MANILA, Philippines — Some 863 more Filipino seamen have been repatriated from Miami, Florida, in the United States as the coronavirus pandemic continues to affect people, businesses, and economies worldwide.

According to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), the 863 Filipino seafarers arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Pasay on Saturday morning via a chartered flight by the Norwegian Cruise Lines Holdings."



These 744s are getting quite busy flying many nationalities to their home countries during this emergency. :crowded: Likely a stark contrast to what fate awaits those sometime after the crisis has abated. :crackup: Sincerely hoping the displaced seafarers would find other gainful employment locally soon after their release from quarantine. :crossfingers:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:12 am

Devilfish wrote:
Elsewhere - on a lighter note to uplift our sagging spirits - a social media user is being investigated for comments about government's acquisition of a business jet.....

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020 ... healthcare

Image
https://media.philstar.com/photos/2019/ ... -34-58.jpg


I'd go out on a limb and say it's a justifiable expense given the need to isolate the country's leaders on official trips, especially during this current outbreak. The choice would be this at least if it were up to me..... :cheerful: .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pGuSxUEWHY

That is, while waiting for the A221XLR to become a reality! Much less expensive and disrupting than yanking a 77W or an A359 from scheduled service and chartering the whole plane for the travel's duration. :airplane:


The dissent made by a netizen backed by a lawyer who opposes the President over PAF's possible G280 acquisition that led to an investigation by NBI is totally nonsense. As what I opined before, it might have been stupid to purchase a small bizjet for luxury trips, necessary (state, official or business visit) or not and his few allies will join - in the case of Pres. Duterte, his long-time right hand Sen. Go, it's somewhat a waste. Renting as large as PAL A359/B77W may be cheap yet expensive in long-term is still the best choice for me or defer the purchase but the next president might use it, although I understand the need, as part of the privileges of any sitting President. If in case, we could copy Japan AF1 in this one, lol.

Devilfish wrote:
In passing, it is perhaps appropriate to light the SEAG flame in CRK on this Day of Valor to honor all those giving their all so others can survive this terrible pandemic..... :candle: .....

Image
https://media.philstar.com/photos/2019/ ... -03-38.jpg


O.T.: And since we still have a year...is it at all practical to dismantle the above and reassemble it at the Libingan ng mga Bayani as an eternal flame to commemorate the country's quincentennial :?: The Games' venue could have a raised "cauldron" instead on the vacated base for subsequent sporting events. :trophy:


Off-topic: The day of valor may have passed for about a week already but there's no need to transfer that tacky PHP 50M "kaldero"/cauldron in NCC to Hero's Cemetery to lit up the eternal flame for quincentennial of Spain's arrival to PH next year and build a new one if PH was chosen to host 2030 Asian Games.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:50 pm

SkyHigher wrote:
Renting as large as PAL A359/B77W may be cheap yet expensive in long-term is still the best choice for me or defer the purchase but the next president might use it, although I understand the need, as part of the privileges of any sitting President.

Deferral is OBE as it was mentioned somewhere that it's due for delivery this coming August (unless a hitch develops in the FMS agreement). Anyhow, it seems Joey Escalera had very imaginatively coined an apt callsign for the likely co-users of the plane -- "DUBREDO 1"..... :cheerful:

SkyHigher wrote:
If in case, we could copy Japan AF1 in this one, lol.

That would put it in league with the megalomanic tower proposal at BGC for the quincentennial..... :eyepopping: .....

Image
https://images.skyscrapercenter.com/bui ... g-full1_(c)henning__larsen__architects_3558.jpg

.....so while you're at it, why not make it the 779X instead? :spin:

SkyHigher wrote:
Off-topic: The day of valor may have passed for about a week already but there's no need to transfer that tacky PHP 50M "kaldero"/cauldron in NCC to Hero's Cemetery to lit up the eternal flame for quincentennial of Spain's arrival to PH next year and build a new one if PH was chosen to host 2030 Asian Games.

The idea was to modify & leave the 'tacky' "talyasi" and its flame-making appurtenances on the raised pedestal...dismantle & reassemble the steel(?) superstructure if feasible...then install a "light beacon" inside the tower cap to simulate an "eternal flame". Much more solemn, down to earth, and in keeping with the humble beginnings of most of those interred there. :tombstone: OTOH, the Asian Games you're aiming for is still a decade away...and there's no telling whether the country will have recovered enough from the fallout of this crisis to be chosen. :alert:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:17 pm

Philstar reports that PAL will operate one London-Manila A359 flight on April 28.....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... t-april-28

Presumably, it's going to be the return leg of the MNL-LHR flight that will leave on Friday, April 24 per PR's advisory.....

https://www.philippineairlines.com/Abou ... 22apr20-51


Does it mean the earlier A359 would remain on the ground in London for two days :?: Otherwise, both return legs would be empty unless the aircraft reposition to new locations to ferry other passengers. :scratchchin:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:54 pm

Flights scheduled at NAIA for April 25.....

Image

https://radyo.inquirer.net/240781/look- ... w-april-25



Meanwhile, local airlines forecast losses of up to $4.5B due to COVID-19...... :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign:

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... e-carriers
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
Akiestar
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:23 am

Question: does anyone know who provided the seats on the last four PAL Boeing 777s? I know Recaro provided the seats for the first six, but I wonder about the newer planes. I know they have the Panasonic ex2 AVOD system installed, but mounted on where?
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2846
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:34 am

Akiestar wrote:
Question: does anyone know who provided the seats on the last four PAL Boeing 777s? I know Recaro provided the seats for the first six, but I wonder about the newer planes. I know they have the Panasonic ex2 AVOD system installed, but mounted on where?


Zodiac Aura?
 
Akiestar
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:56 am

Ishrion wrote:
Akiestar wrote:
Question: does anyone know who provided the seats on the last four PAL Boeing 777s? I know Recaro provided the seats for the first six, but I wonder about the newer planes. I know they have the Panasonic ex2 AVOD system installed, but mounted on where?


Zodiac Aura?


I'm wondering but can't be certain; I've been scouring the Internet for something that says they're Zodiac seats but I can't seem to find anything. :\
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2846
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:24 am

Akiestar wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Akiestar wrote:
Question: does anyone know who provided the seats on the last four PAL Boeing 777s? I know Recaro provided the seats for the first six, but I wonder about the newer planes. I know they have the Panasonic ex2 AVOD system installed, but mounted on where?


Zodiac Aura?


I'm wondering but can't be certain; I've been scouring the Internet for something that says they're Zodiac seats but I can't seem to find anything. :\


If these are the seats you're talking about, then it's Zodiac Aura.

The Business Class cabin receives Zodia Aura seats that are fully flat – a nice improvement over current comfortable, but angled-flat seats. They are held in neutral blue and beige tones and remain in a high-density 2-3-2 layout without direct aisle access for half the business class passengers


https://dreamtravelonpoints.com/traveln ... -airlines/
 
AB330
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:06 am

Akiestar wrote:
Question: does anyone know who provided the seats on the last four PAL Boeing 777s? I know Recaro provided the seats for the first six, but I wonder about the newer planes. I know they have the Panasonic ex2 AVOD system installed, but mounted on where?


Recaro stop manufacturing the seat model as the market shifted to full-lie flat seats. By the time PAL made those ordered additional for the B77W in 2015 the Aura Enhanced was the latest version of the Aura seat which is also use by CA, ET and TK.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:06 am

Might these be repositioned flights from the earlier trips to LHR as supposed in #170?.....

https://www.philippineairlines.com/Abou ... 24apr20-53

Philippine Airlines will operate the following special flights from Los Angeles (LAX) to Manila on April 29 (Wednesday) and May 1 (Friday), 2020.

PR 5113 Los Angeles to Manila
(April 29, Wednesday and May 1, Friday)
Departure from Los Angeles (LAX): 3:00 PM local time
Arrival in Manila (MNL) : 8:30 PM local time on April 30 (Thursday) and May 2 (Saturday)


No aircraft type was mentioned so am assuming it's the A359.


Also, PAL announced that its international flights were suspended until May 15 in compliance with the LECQ extension period, but that they would continue special flights as needed.....

https://www.philippineairlines.com/Abou ... 24apr20-52

"PAL will continue to operate occasional special flights to repatriate stranded passengers and to carry cargo shipments to transport urgent medical equipment and supplies to help sustain critical supply chains across the Philippines."


So, could the above serve as a symbolic CEB/MNL-LAX-MNL/CEB inaugural flight too, considering no formal announcement had been made about that service as noted in #160...and that the passengers, agents and airline delegations' count was bound to be small anyway owing to the crisis...or was the relaunch put on hold indefinitely :?:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
AB330
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:53 am

I'm curious as to how many A321ceo in PAL fleet that are actually owned by the airline I know most are on leased while the remainder will likely be transfered to GAP in the future?


Additionally will PAL contiune to received its order for more A321neo once the lockdown ends or will they differ the delivery at a later date?
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1801
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:18 am

A few days ago RP-C3343 conducted a one-off flight to SYD to repatriate some 370 Phillipino crew onboard Ruby Princess.

Michael
 
airlineaddict
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:37 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:24 am

Devilfish wrote:
Might these be repositioned flights from the earlier trips to LHR as supposed in #170?.....

https://www.philippineairlines.com/Abou ... 24apr20-53

Philippine Airlines will operate the following special flights from Los Angeles (LAX) to Manila on April 29 (Wednesday) and May 1 (Friday), 2020.

PR 5113 Los Angeles to Manila
(April 29, Wednesday and May 1, Friday)
Departure from Los Angeles (LAX): 3:00 PM local time
Arrival in Manila (MNL) : 8:30 PM local time on April 30 (Thursday) and May 2 (Saturday)


No aircraft type was mentioned so am assuming it's the A359.


According to PAL’s online reservations site, both flights are scheduled to be operated with a 77W.
 
Akiestar
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:25 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Akiestar wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Zodiac Aura?


I'm wondering but can't be certain; I've been scouring the Internet for something that says they're Zodiac seats but I can't seem to find anything. :\


If these are the seats you're talking about, then it's Zodiac Aura.

The Business Class cabin receives Zodia Aura seats that are fully flat – a nice improvement over current comfortable, but angled-flat seats. They are held in neutral blue and beige tones and remain in a high-density 2-3-2 layout without direct aisle access for half the business class passengers


https://dreamtravelonpoints.com/traveln ... -airlines/


AB330 wrote:
Akiestar wrote:
Question: does anyone know who provided the seats on the last four PAL Boeing 777s? I know Recaro provided the seats for the first six, but I wonder about the newer planes. I know they have the Panasonic ex2 AVOD system installed, but mounted on where?


Recaro stop manufacturing the seat model as the market shifted to full-lie flat seats. By the time PAL made those ordered additional for the B77W in 2015 the Aura Enhanced was the latest version of the Aura seat which is also use by CA, ET and TK.


Thanks! I'm working on a massive overhaul of the PAL article on Wikipedia, and I figured digging through what the specific hard product is will help. :)

Now if only I can figure out what economy seats they use on the A321neo. I know they're Zodiac seats, but I can't seem to find that information anywhere. (As for the two-class A330, I found out they use the same model as the seats on the A321ceo.)

AB330 wrote:
Additionally will PAL contiune to received its order for more A321neo once the lockdown ends or will they differ the delivery at a later date?


If I'm not mistaken, some A321neo deliveries have already been deferred to as late as 2024, but this was before COVID-19. With everything going on now, I won't be surprised if deliveries are deferred even more.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:31 pm

AB330 wrote:
I'm curious as to how many A321ceo in PAL fleet that are actually owned by the airline I know most are on leased while the remainder will likely be transfered to GAP in the future?

All 24 of PR A321ceos are leased. See #101.


airlineaddict wrote:
According to PAL’s online reservations site, both flights are scheduled to be operated with a 77W.

Thank you for the information.



In the aftermath of all this chaos lie a fundamental question...will the unsolicited proposals for a new, premier international gateway in the country still progress :?:

https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transp ... 80.article


My thought on that is proponents would have very cold feet proceeding with their projects...or drastically reduce their scopes if they muster enough courage to see it through completion :scared: if at all...as I had cautioned in #123. Which brings us to the NAIA Rehab project. Had they selected Megawide/GMR for it from the outset, we could probably be at the far turn by now, even with some major revisions to the proposal. As it stands, we would be lucky if somebody else touched it with a ten-foot-pole. Even the T2 renovation is taking forever to unfold. It seems my fear in #115 that CRK would be it for the foreseeable future is becoming highly likely as the days drag on. Heavens forvid :alert:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
Philippine747
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:59 am

Some interesting PR flights right now... RP-C3501 enroute as PAL8718 from Manila to Milan-Malpensa to pick up Filipino workers. Also of note, PR operated its first ever flight to Male, Maldives last 25 April. RP-C8760 operated as PR8708/8709 to repatriate Filipinos.

Funnily enough... they've talked about operating revenue services to these destinations in the past. Maybe these are also serving as proving flights too :P
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:29 pm

Philippine747 wrote:
Some interesting PR flights right now... RP-C3501 enroute as PAL8718 from Manila to Milan-Malpensa to pick up Filipino workers. Also of note, PR operated its first ever flight to Male, Maldives last 25 April. RP-C8760 operated as PR8708/8709 to repatriate Filipinos.

Interesting that PR used an A330 to MLE...didn't realize there were plenty of Filipinos in Maldives. An A359 to MXP could be expected since it's a base for many OFWs.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MNL-MLE%2FMXP&MS=wls&DU=nm


Philippine747 wrote:
Funnily enough... they've talked about operating revenue services to these destinations in the past. Maybe these are also serving as proving flights too

PR might have to downgauge MLE to A321N and MXP to A338 in the future...that is, if COVID-19 had not killed the latter yet! :ghost:

Image
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWhST1lWoAABuHD.jpg:small



A couple more repatriation flights from JFK to MNL on May 4 and 6 respectively per PR Advisory #54.....

https://www.philippineairlines.com/Abou ... 27apr20-54


Will these be flown by A359s this time around as both could likely be nonstop flights?
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
mxp
Posts: 485
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:50 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Just observed RP-C3501 passing over me approaching MXP here in Milan but could not have a good shot. Damn. Just beautiful in PR livery
Alberto
 
Philippine747
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:12 am

Devilfish wrote:
PR might have to downgauge MLE to A321N and MXP to A338 in the future...that is, if COVID-19 had not killed the latter yet! :ghost:


Wonder if the A21Ns are already ETOPS certified considering the lengthy overwater segments... although I'm not sure if that route really needs it. Have they ever been deployed to GUM?
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:14 pm

Please note that ETOPS is not just for ocean crossings. A320 Family aircraft are approved for ETOPS 180 out of the factory.....

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... e-faa.html

Looking at the GC map in the link above, the only long over water part is between the Malay peninsula and Sri Lanka where suitable alternates are available. And considering PR did not push through with their plan, traffic on that route may not even warrant an A320N. As to GUM, PR A321ceos routinely fly there....

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-changes/

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... arch-2020/
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
KGarc21
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

This shows the limitations (area darkened) of ETOPS 180: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?MS=wls&DU=mi&E=180

The A321 is clearly comfortable doing the MNL-GUM and MNL-MLE route, however the economics of operating the latter route is not that great.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:01 pm

It seems US to RP flights are increasing even with the ECQ....unmet demand..... :confused: .....

https://www.philippineairlines.com/Abou ... 29apr20-55


Or people fleeing COVID-19 hot spots? :scared: But cases are on the rise in the country too! :?
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
AB330
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:06 pm

Akiestar wrote:
AB330 wrote:
Thanks! I'm working on a massive overhaul of the PAL article on Wikipedia, and I figured digging through what the specific hard product is will help. :)

Now if only I can figure out what economy seats they use on the A321neo. I know they're Zodiac seats, but I can't seem to find that information anywhere. (As for the two-class A330, I found out they use the same model as the seats on the A321ceo.


The Airbus A321neo both LR and SR configuration used the Pinncale Economy Class seats which are manufactured by Collins Aerospace (formerly Rockwell Collins and B/E Aerospace respectively), its a popular Y seat especially on single-aisle aircraft like the Airbus A320 family and Boeing 737.

https://www.collinsaerospace.com/what-w ... nomy-Class

AK, G9, BA, DL, HA and IB are some of the airlines I know of using the Pinnacle for there A320 family.
 
Akiestar
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:49 pm

AB330 wrote:
The Airbus A321neo both LR and SR configuration used the Pinncale Economy Class seats which are manufactured by Collins Aerospace (formerly Rockwell Collins and B/E Aerospace respectively), its a popular Y seat especially on single-aisle aircraft like the Airbus A320 family and Boeing 737.

https://www.collinsaerospace.com/what-w ... nomy-Class

AK, G9, BA, DL, HA and IB are some of the airlines I know of using the Pinnacle for there A320 family.


Thanks! I am appalled at how this information is not published somewhere online, as I've been looking for it. :\ I see a lot of hype for the business and premium economy seats, from the type to all the features, but not the economy seats.
 
Philippine747
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:37 am

Devilfish wrote:
Please note that ETOPS is not just for ocean crossings. A320 Family aircraft are approved for ETOPS 180 out of the factory.....


My bad, meant to say has CAAP has approved EDTO/ETOPS on the A21N. I am aware some of the A320 and A321ceo fleet are already equipped (including one PALex A321 for some reason) :)

PR or CAAP is probably reluctant to do so considering the PW's reliability...
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:29 pm

Philippine747 wrote:
My bad, meant to say has CAAP has approved EDTO/ETOPS on the A21N.

I'm not sure CAAP would reject what FAA/EASA have already approved.

Philippine747 wrote:
PR or CAAP is probably reluctant to do so considering the PW's reliability...

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MNL-BNE%2FSYD&MS=wls&DU=nm




Flightglobal reports about 5J's 1Q20 loss..... :down:

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/c ... 56.article


While Philstar announces PR's resumption of limited international flights.....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... ic-flights


I wonder if 5J would be deferring their A321N and A339 orders? :scratchchin:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri May 01, 2020 1:58 pm

Any pictures of egyptair in MNL?thanks
 
DarQuiet
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:31 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat May 02, 2020 4:30 pm

What now?! :o

"All Passenger/Commercial flights to and from the Philippines suspended beginning 8:00am, May 3, 2020"

https://www.facebook.com/MIAAGovPh/post ... 1153648989
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun May 03, 2020 6:55 pm

DarQuiet wrote:
What now?! :o

It seems the choir is singing from different hymnals..... :spin:

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/money/e ... y/?just_in


Anyhow, hopefully they'd finish what needed fixing especially at NAIA to take advantage of the operations slowdown. The ff report comes as a very welcome development..... :crossfingers: .....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... -ecq-lifte



Apparently, this is the new "abnormal" for PAL..... :eyepopping: .....

Image
http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... ormal.html


Though a bit of pleasant surprise was this PR A359's appearance in DVO..... :o .....

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed May 06, 2020 11:36 am

Remnants of Second World War is still present on the present-day NAIA, and that includes stockpile of bomb hiding beneath the runway.

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/metro/737120/possible-world-war-ii-bomb-unearthed-at-naia/story/?just_in

An unexploded vintage bomb, believed to have been used during World War II, was discovered at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) on Wednesday afternoon.

According to Luisito Santos' report on Super Radyo dzBB on Wednesday, the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) said that the bomb was found in a construction site along runway 1331 at around 3 p.m.
 
AB330
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu May 07, 2020 6:32 am

Devilfish wrote:
Flightglobal reports about 5J's 1Q20 loss..... :down:

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/c ... 56.article

I wonder if 5J would be deferring their A321N and A339 orders? :scratchchin:


This will be speculation on my part. But its safe to say that COVID-19/ECQ in Metro Manila will likely effect 5J fleet renewal plans. I won't be surprised if they will differ there first A339 to either the last quarter of 2021 or to early 2022. For the A21N I can see some will be differed to later date or possibly converted to either the A20N or A321XLR.

However the one I'm most intrested about is will social distancing effect the future configuration of 5J upcoming A20N, A21N and A339?

Probably not in the long term
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 7073
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat May 09, 2020 4:10 pm

SkyHigher wrote:
Remnants of Second World War is still present on the present-day NAIA, and that includes stockpile of bomb hiding beneath the runway.

"Stockpile" may not be a very accurate description, although unexploded ordnance (duds) are likely to be found even now given the airfield was heavily bombarded during WW2.....

Image
https://alchetron.com/cdn/nichols-field ... e-750.jpeg

But just to clarify, the bomb was found "near" the runway...not "beneath" it. :bomb:


The CAAP has announced select international flight arrivals at NAIA starting May 11.....

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020 ... ing-may-11


MIAA GM has flagged revenue losses at ~P1B as of end of April this year.....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... p1-billion


This as the UNTWO warns of up to a 78% further decline in tourist arrivals due to COVID-19..... :down: .....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... -plunge-78
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 10:23 am

Devilfish wrote:
The CAAP has announced select international flight arrivals at NAIA starting May 11.....

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020 ... ing-may-11

I'm glad that only returning residents, diplomats and dignitaries that hold PH passport are allowed to board flights bound to MNL, and not additional POGO workers from Mainland, lol.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/05/10/2013001/international-flights-naia-start-tomorrow
CAAP spokesman Eric Apolonio also stressed that only returning residents, Philippine passport holders, foreign dignitaries and diplomats are allowed to join the inbound international flights.

Tourists are still not allowed to enter the country, he added.
 
Philippine747
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon May 11, 2020 8:44 am

Devilfish wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:
PR or CAAP is probably reluctant to do so considering the PW's reliability...

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MNL-BNE%2FSYD&MS=wls&DU=nm


Late reply, but I think it would still fall under the 60-minute rule... plenty of diversion airports along the way.

AB330 wrote:
This will be speculation on my part. But its safe to say that COVID-19/ECQ in Metro Manila will likely effect 5J fleet renewal plans. I won't be surprised if they will differ there first A339 to either the last quarter of 2021 or to early 2022. For the A21N I can see some will be differed to later date or possibly converted to either the A20N or A321XLR.

However the one I'm most intrested about is will social distancing effect the future configuration of 5J upcoming A20N, A21N and A339?

Probably not in the long term


Pretty sure they'd keep the existing config. Assuming all the middle seats are required to be blocked, they would still have significant narrow-body capacity compared to say PR/AirAsia.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 8

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos