Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yeogeo

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:26 pm

se210 wrote:
Really interesting taxi/gate guidelines shown.

Wow, I'll say! Anyone out there explain the functionality of the markings? Clearly not at all like the modern guidelines that are to line up with the nose wheel of the aircraft.

se210

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:51 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
If it hasn't been posted on the spotters site. VIVA Air Columbia will be operating a A320 into ORD today. (1130-1300lt) VH432/481 as a repatriation flight. Will never say never, but this could be the only time this airline makes it to Chicago..

Thanks for the heads-up jcwr56! Here's the inbound on Flightradar24: https://www.flightradar24.com/VVC432
Due in just after 11AM. Showing as HK-5278

gabik001

Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:49 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
If it hasn't been posted on the spotters site. VIVA Air Columbia will be operating a A320 into ORD today. (1130-1300lt) VH432/481 as a repatriation flight. Will never say never, but this could be the only time this airline makes it to Chicago..

During my routine early morning check what we might have inbound I saw it scheduled. Got it on arrival at 10C. It might be the only time that we saw Colombian registered aircraft here. Also sister airline Viva Aerobus is due in ORD at 10.30pm today.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

EWRandMDW

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:15 am

yeogeo wrote:
se210 wrote:
Really interesting taxi/gate guidelines shown.

Wow, I'll say! Anyone out there explain the functionality of the markings? Clearly not at all like the modern guidelines that are to line up with the nose wheel of the aircraft.

Looking at the more complete postcard photo, the aircraft do not nose into a gate but park parallel to the concourse. The markings look like where pilots should turn when coming into a gate and how they should exit when leaving the gate. Maybe they were for the benefit of jet pilots as the Viscount had a smaller turning radius then a 707 or DC8. I suppose at the time there was little need for tugs and certainly no need to push back a plane.

gabik001

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:06 am

jcwr56 wrote:

Looks like is scheduled for tomorrow the same time.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

yeogeo

Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:57 am

First Saudi Arabian Airlines a/c in the ORD A-Net database: a 77W on 24th of May.

yeogeo

Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:08 pm

Matt Kostelnick caught the last landing at O'Hare of former KLM 744 PH-BFS.

She took off from O'Hare for the Mojave the next day as flight KL 747.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ph-bfs

ORDfan

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:35 pm

gabik001 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:
gabik001 wrote:
An-124 departed an hour late, but it was even better for us due to lower angle of sunlight and still hot air temperature (which delayed rotation) so pictures turn out pretty cool.
I am wondering when IL76 will leave. Also noticed that P3 B744 will visit us tomorrow morning (didn't see it several months at ORD). And still waiting for SV visit...

Tomorrow is SV3091/3092 - JED/ORD/JED (1300/1500lt) Total of 6 flights planned for June.

Finally got it today. I was suprised that not much spotters were at GG during arrival. Me and some other spotter with kids.

Some cool pics posted in the ORD facebook page.

Think she was a hit on the ramp.

gabik001

Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:27 am

yeogeo wrote:

Many of ORD spotters took pictures that day. Rumor says that next visit of former KL 744 will be on June 15.

VCVSpotter

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:15 am

gabik001 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

Many of ORD spotters took pictures that day. Rumor says that next visit of former KL 744 will be on June 15.

Any idea if departure will be on the same day? I would love to catch it arriving at MHV like I did with PH-BFS.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell Qantas A380s/744s

yeogeo

Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:43 pm

This may have been mentioned by jcwr upthread, but not sure dates were provided.
PK is planning flights ISB-ORD-ISB (repatriation in both directions), arriving O'Hare on the 13th, departing on the 14th.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/291979-pia-sp ... on-june-14

ORDfan

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:34 pm

ORD got a shout out in today's Journal for being one of the few airports to maintain its expansion projects, with other major hubs cancelling or delaying projects.

I give credit to the CDA and mayor's office for forging ahead, and thinking 20+ years out instead of just focused on the nearby.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronaviru ... 1591615730

BNAMealer

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:58 pm

ORDfan wrote:
ORD got a shout out in today's Journal for being one of the few airports to maintain its expansion projects, with other major hubs cancelling or delaying projects.

I give credit to the CDA and mayor's office for forging ahead, and thinking 20+ years out instead of just focused on the nearby.

It's behind a pay wall, what does it say?

Regardless, I agree with your statement. Regardless of the current crisis, it doesn't change the fact that from a terminal standpoint, ORD is functionally obsolete. Traffic is going to rebound eventually, and since ORD is a critical hub, delaying improvements will lead to more gridlock in the national air traffic system. They cannot wait any longer, and actually it would be better to start now while air traffic is down.

Kbud

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:12 pm

yeogeo wrote:
First Saudi Arabian Airlines a/c in the ORD A-Net database: a 77W on 24th of May.

Where did it park at ORD, T5? Did they only have cargo, or passengers too?

yeogeo

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:51 pm

Kbud wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

Where did it park at ORD, T5? Did they only have cargo, or passengers too?

Repatriation flights I believe, therefore I assume they used T-5.

tendy04

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:21 am

BNAMealer wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

Regardless, I agree with your statement. Regardless of the current crisis, it doesn't change the fact that from a terminal standpoint, ORD is functionally obsolete. Traffic is going to rebound eventually, and since ORD is a critical hub, delaying improvements will lead to more gridlock in the national air traffic system. They cannot wait any longer, and actually it would be better to start now while air traffic is down.

Agreed. Was curious so I pulled up the department of transportation stats here:
https://www.transtats.bts.gov/OT_Delay/ ... 1.asp?pn=1

And pulled November of 2015 through December of 2019 for ORD
Biggest cause is NAS delay at 8.13% -- that's a broad category but you have to figure anything that increases capacity and arrival rate at O'Hare helps. I haven't checked out the TAAM modeling for the estimated AAR's in the two main flows, but increased AAR's helps cut GDPs, MIT restrictions, and airborne holding. Combine that with a whole-hearted attempt to move to RNAV and you should see more efficient airspace. West-flow post-buildout is always going to be more efficient since you're able to depart 3 vs 2 in east, but I figure the folks at C90 should be able to jam more down into 9C without having to build gaps for departing 9R, so an AAR that probably rivals west-flow with a departure rate slightly higher but still lower than west-flow.

In the Covid climate, from an airfield point of view, the only real benefit I could see would be in getting the 9R-27L extension built with less of an impact to AAR's...gotta figure having 9C/27C available would cause a slight increase in taxi-times but the AAR's should remain about the same. The engineering schedules for the construction are fairly well defined, not sure if there's a way to really increase the speed versus non-Covid.

The question I would've loved to pose to the folks at Ricondo would've been how much more it would've cost to build end-around taxiways for the west ends of 9C-27C and 10-28C -- FAA has guidelines on elevation and distance/radius for end-arounds and there's not a ton of free real-estate to the west, but I wonder if that would've cut the taxi-times in west-flow. Theoretically makes it safer and allows 28R and 27L to be a free-roll. Also wondering if they're going to go back to some form of LAHSO for the C's when they get to full build.

The old dictum of 'As goes O'Hare, so goes the NAS' remains true.

yeogeo

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:21 am

Three weeks ago:
yeogeo wrote:
Icelandair
"FI in the last few days filed changes to its inventory for the remainder of summer 2020 season... These frequency reductions and service cancellations will take place when the airline resumes full operation as early as June 2020."

ORD-KEF 5X/week (a/c not listed)

Starting July 1 on Google flights Icelandair is now finally offering bookable ORD-KEF flights XTues/Thurs. Operating 757's.

BNAMealer

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:40 am

tendy04 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

Biggest cause is NAS delay at 8.13% -- that's a broad category but you have to figure anything that increases capacity and arrival rate at O'Hare helps. I haven't checked out the TAAM modeling for the estimated AAR's in the two main flows, but increased AAR's helps cut GDPs, MIT restrictions, and airborne holding. Combine that with a whole-hearted attempt to move to RNAV and you should see more efficient airspace. West-flow post-buildout is always going to be more efficient since you're able to depart 3 vs 2 in east, but I figure the folks at C90 should be able to jam more down into 9C without having to build gaps for departing 9R, so an AAR that probably rivals west-flow with a departure rate slightly higher but still lower than west-flow.

In the Covid climate, from an airfield point of view, the only real benefit I could see would be in getting the 9R-27L extension built with less of an impact to AAR's...gotta figure having 9C/27C available would cause a slight increase in taxi-times but the AAR's should remain about the same. The engineering schedules for the construction are fairly well defined, not sure if there's a way to really increase the speed versus non-Covid.

The question I would've loved to pose to the folks at Ricondo would've been how much more it would've cost to build end-around taxiways for the west ends of 9C-27C and 10-28C -- FAA has guidelines on elevation and distance/radius for end-arounds and there's not a ton of free real-estate to the west, but I wonder if that would've cut the taxi-times in west-flow. Theoretically makes it safer and allows 28R and 27L to be a free-roll. Also wondering if they're going to go back to some form of LAHSO for the C's when they get to full build.

Good info, but I was talking about the terminal situation. The airfield reconfiguration will be done next year and they’ve done a phenomenal job with it, however, that’s only half of the equation. New, modern terminals are needed to park the planes and accommodate the new generation of aircraft, and the lack of extra gates hurts ORD when traffic is normal (thus causing ground delays). Plus, you still have the inefficient layout of all the international gates away from the main terminal complex.

tendy04

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:03 am

BNAMealer wrote:
tendy04 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Good info, but I was talking about the terminal situation. The airfield reconfiguration will be done next year and they’ve done a phenomenal job with it, however, that’s only half of the equation. New, modern terminals are needed to park the planes and accommodate the new generation of aircraft, and the lack of extra gates hurts ORD when traffic is normal (thus causing ground delays). Plus, you still have the inefficient layout of all the international gates away from the main terminal complex.

Don't disagree -- and the needed extra gates won't hurt, but we're also looking at a massive redevelopment that (hopefully) extends into the post-Covid landscape. What's best-case in all this? Any guesses before we're back (or close) to pre-Covid levels? My gut feeling is the terminal reconfiguration will extend beyond the Covid effects. What becomes a bigger gain on improving traffic in and out? Additional gates or the capacity to handle more aircraft and more effectively getting them in and out of the airspace? It really does become a chicken/egg question. You can have the best configured airspace in the world but if you're not effective getting planes to the gate, what's the point? Or you can have the most efficient terminal core, but if your traffic flow gets bogged down getting in and out of C90, both create the same net-effect.

ORD is never going to be ATL, but I admire the creativity that's been utilized to drive the delays down and improve performance, and IMO that's been largely done with improvements to the NAS and not gate capacity. Other than the stinger, what additional capacity has been added in enough volume to drive the delay numbers down? I look at the ATCSCC and it's Wx that causes the most *system-wide impacts* -- being able to handle capacity regardless of flow helps mitigate that at ORD. Is ORD aging? Yes. Do terminal improvements need to be made? Undeniably. Is it good for the economy, jobs, Chicagoland as a whole? You betcha. Nobody loses with all the improvements being made, and I really think 30 years down the road OMDP will be seen as the right decision, in terms of reconfiguring C90, airfield improvements, and improvements to the terminal core. It wasn't cheap, but it's the right thing to do. I think you'll see a safe margin of capacity at O'hare for years to come, but make no mistake, there will come a point where people say: "Thank God we added the additional gates to handle the increased traffic." -- I don't disagree with your concept, I just think of the gates as a big shoe and O'hare's 'foot' growing into it over time.

**edit** my chicken/egg argument was poorly written.
Last edited by tendy04 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

KFTG

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:09 am

Glorious.

yeogeo

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:36 pm

Turkish Airlines

Resuming ORD-IST pax ops 3X/week with 789's, effective June 19th.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200609

Speaking of Turkish...
Thought this rather unusual ORD visitor of several weeks ago, a TK A332F, shows off the striking yet simple Turkish livery really well,
IMHO of course. :bigthumbsup:

Planeboy17

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:18 pm

Heads up, Ethiopian Star Alliance 788 is inbound right now. Showing a 3:00 arrival.
Hopefully the weather holds.
Unfortunately I have a Dr appointment.

gabik001

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:41 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
Heads up, Ethiopian Star Alliance 788 is inbound right now. Showing a 3:00 arrival.
Hopefully the weather holds.
Unfortunately I have a Dr appointment.

Welcome to the club, me too! :)

ORDfan

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:49 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
tendy04 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Ah sorry about that. Not sure I can repaste the text here. It didn't go into a lot of detail, but it basically said that ORD 21 is continuing as planned, and that it was one of the few airports were things are still proceeding: the other two cited were Sydney's 2nd airport and Dubai's expansion (already in progress).

Other big airport like SFO, MCO, and LHR are scaling back (no 3rd runway for LHR).

ORDfan

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:52 pm

yeogeo wrote:
Speaking of Turkish...
Thought this rather unusual ORD visitor of several weeks ago, a TK A332F, shows off the striking yet simple Turkish livery really well,

What runway is this? It looks like the desert?!? Meanwhile my backyard was looking like Ireland in April with all the rain we had.

Awesome shot anyway!.

VCVSpotter

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:32 pm

KLM 747-400M PH-BFY AMS-ORD-MHV ferry flight delayed one week (originally scheduled on June 22) to Monday, June 29, 2020. I know that a few posts up-thread there was a rumor that one would visit ORD on the 15th, I don't know if that was delayed to the 22nd which is now delayed until the 29th, or if that is a completely different frame. If someone could shed some light on that it would be appreciated.

https://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php ... start=4500

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell Qantas A380s/744s

gabik001

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:27 am

ORDfan wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
Speaking of Turkish...

What runway is this? It looks like the desert?!? Meanwhile my backyard was looking like Ireland in April with all the rain we had.

Awesome shot anyway!.

It is 10C, view from area between Delta and United Cargo near FedEx employee parking lot. Bill usually taking a photos there.

gabik001

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:32 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
KLM 747-400M PH-BFY AMS-ORD-MHV ferry flight delayed one week (originally scheduled on June 22) to Monday, June 29, 2020. I know that a few posts up-thread there was a rumor that one would visit ORD on the 15th, I don't know if that was delayed to the 22nd which is now delayed until the 29th, or if that is a completely different frame. If someone could shed some light on that it would be appreciated.

I heard that from one spotter at GG some time ago. He stated that he got info that another KL B744 will fly on June 15 to MHV via ORD. It was not confirmed at that time. So seems like now is more actual on June 29...

jcwr56

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:28 am

gabik001 wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:

I heard that from one spotter at GG some time ago. He stated that he got info that another KL B744 will fly on June 15 to MHV via ORD. It was not confirmed at that time. So seems like now is more actual on June 29...

KL9871 KL9871 29JUN 000744 AMS1530 1730MHV XX and we'll leave it at that.

PIA: OPIS KORD 1750 UTC 13 Jun 2020 / KORD 0001 UTC UTC 15 Jun 2020 Planning A/C AP-BGY

gabik001

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:10 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
gabik001 wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:

PIA: OPIS KORD 1750 UTC 13 Jun 2020 / KORD 0001 UTC UTC 15 Jun 2020 Planning A/C AP-BGY

So seems like KLM will not stop at ORD...
Looks like PIA will arrive around 6pm on Saturday so will be able to catch her. I think I got this a/c in my file from times when PIA was operating to ORD.

yeogeo

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:25 am

Austrian Airlines

Effective July 1:
ORD-VIE 3X/week 767-300ER

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200610

VCVSpotter

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:21 am

gabik001 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:
gabik001 wrote:

Looks like PIA will arrive around 6pm on Saturday so will be able to catch her. I think I got this a/c in my file from times when PIA was operating to ORD.

Wow, I don't know how that's possible as MHV does not have customs facilities...... :confused:

yeogeo

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:59 am

All Nippon Airlines

One month ago:
yeogeo wrote:
NRT – ORD 3X/week 77W

For the month of July:
ORD-NRT 7X/week

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200610

jcwr56

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:39 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
gabik001 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:

Wow, I don't know how that's possible as MHV does not have customs facilities...... :confused:

Sorry guys...that’s the formal format used.. 1530-1730 UTC it’s the time sitting at ORD.

gabik001

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:44 pm

Maybe that's why I misunderstand what will happen.
Seems like TK is sending B789 today to ORD as TK185...It is scheduled as of now.

yeogeo

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:58 pm

Japan Airlines

One month ago:
yeogeo wrote:
JAL's international flights in May consist of in total 14 destinations, including HND – ORD 1X/week 77W.

"JAL on Wednesday (10JUN20) announced planned International operation for the month of July 2020. Planned operation as follows. This list only focuses on operational frequencies...
Tokyo Haneda – Chicago O’Hare 3 weekly"

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200611

Anyone observe the aircraft they're using lately? 789's or 77W's or a combination of the two?

gabik001

Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:12 pm

yeogeo wrote:

Japan Airlines

One month ago:
yeogeo wrote:
JAL's international flights in May consist of in total 14 destinations, including HND – ORD 1X/week 77W.

"JAL on Wednesday (10JUN20) announced planned International operation for the month of July 2020. Planned operation as follows. This list only focuses on operational frequencies...

Anyone observe the aircraft they're using lately? 789's or 77W's or a combination of the two?

They used to fly on B77W in last two months. They had several additional flights operated on B789 but it was way before everything slowed down.

yeogeo

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:08 am

Etihad Airways

One month ago:
yeogeo wrote:
AUH – ORD 4X/week 77W
Effective May 17 with daily service scheduled to start May 28.

"[EY] plans to operate 42 routes between 01JUL20 and 15JUL20. Planned operation as of 11JUN20 as follows..."
ORD-AUH 7X/week 787-9

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200612

gabik001

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:25 pm

If not mentioned PIA9721 is heading ORD, ETA around 1pm , a/c AP-BGZ. SV also sending SV3091 today, ETA 12:20, a/c HZ-AK24

tendy04

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:52 pm

NFDD updated official graphic revision for KORD, effective 16 July 2020.
Updates are as follows, and highlighted in red in my edit:
-The stub of KK on the north side between YY and D is removed.
-The 2nd runway crossing on 9C-27C east of the 9C end is charted as FF
-Taxiway E is fully extended and connected
-Taxiway D is fully extended and connected
-Taxiway E1 is removed completely
-Taxiway M is reopened completely
-Revised A1 geometry (tough to see what exactly the change is)
-Taxiway J gets major changes -- no longer connects west to east -- J starts at the west-edge and ends at SS, no longer connects via Tango, and eastern segment of will be relabeled H (from R to the start of 4L)
-The stub of G from west of Romeo angled to connect with T is removed
-A chunk of SS from Taxiway L south to Taxiway N is removed
-The Y5 highspeed exit on 4R-22L is removed completely.

Pretty sure some of these changes will still have closures on them NOTAM'd out (mainly the work on E). Also curious to see what the NFDC construction updates reflect after this gets published, those construction updates are much more real-time than the published official diagram.

BNAMealer

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:38 pm

tendy04 wrote:
NFDD updated official graphic revision for KORD, effective 16 July 2020.
Updates are as follows, and highlighted in red in my edit:
-The stub of KK on the north side between YY and D is removed.
-The 2nd runway crossing on 9C-27C east of the 9C end is charted as FF
-Taxiway E is fully extended and connected
-Taxiway D is fully extended and connected
-Taxiway E1 is removed completely
-Taxiway M is reopened completely
-Revised A1 geometry (tough to see what exactly the change is)
-Taxiway J gets major changes -- no longer connects west to east -- J starts at the west-edge and ends at SS, no longer connects via Tango, and eastern segment of will be relabeled H (from R to the start of 4L)
-The stub of G from west of Romeo angled to connect with T is removed
-A chunk of SS from Taxiway L south to Taxiway N is removed
-The Y5 highspeed exit on 4R-22L is removed completely.

Pretty sure some of these changes will still have closures on them NOTAM'd out (mainly the work on E). Also curious to see what the NFDC construction updates reflect after this gets published, those construction updates are much more real-time than the published official diagram.

Isn’t the new runway going to be finished and commissioned this year? Why update this now if that is the case?

ytib

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:03 pm

BNAMealer wrote:

Isn’t the new runway going to be finished and commissioned this year? Why update this now if that is the case?

Charts are updated numerous times throughout the year, thus to keep current they submit the changes as they come online.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_ ... Off_Dates/
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

gabik001

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:40 pm

yeogeo wrote:

Japan Airlines

One month ago:
yeogeo wrote:

There is a JAL B789 on the way to ORD at descent stage if not already landed when I am writing this.
Also EY151 is on the way with B789 in "Choose Saudi Arabia" livery.

United787

Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:30 pm

Forgive me if this has been discussed, I took a hiatus from A-Net since COVID-19 started because it was too depressing. But, now that things are coming back, I am back. Yes, I am a fairweather fan.

Does someone have a list of international passenger flights that are currently in operation from ORD?

TSA125

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:08 pm

yeogeo wrote:

Etihad Airways

One month ago:
yeogeo wrote:
AUH – ORD 4X/week 77W
Effective May 17 with daily service scheduled to start May 28.

"[EY] plans to operate 42 routes between 01JUL20 and 15JUL20. Planned operation as of 11JUN20 as follows..."
ORD-AUH 7X/week 787-9

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200612

Are these bookable pax flights or cargo/repatriation?
No not that TSA.

gabik001

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:55 am

Today AF136/137 operated on B789. Just returned from ORD after take some shots on departure.

tendy04

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:57 am

Paschen updated pics a few days ago and I didn't see it, the highlight to me is this one:

You can clearly see the KK stub taxiway in the bottom left in the process of being removed (as referenced in the upcoming diagram update I previously posted), as well as the removal of the E1 taxiway mid-field on 9C-27C. Looks like the 3rd highspeed exit is complete, the 2nd is in its finishing stages, and biggest tasks left to do is the remaining tie-in for E and and D. Looks like sliding gates in place to restrict movement north on YY1, YY2, and maybe on the corner where YY and D intersect (utilizing the old east-gate infrastructure).

Tough to make assumptions on how much work is left to do on tying-in E and D because we can't tell exactly when this picture was taken, but I'd be willing to bet that after the new diagram goes live there's still closures NOTAM'd out on E and D as they finish up the work. The existing C3 and D pavement around the scenic hold pad is currently closed to aircraft with a wingspan larger than 118 feet through the 5 November scheduled 9C-27C commissioning date.

H/T to the Paschen FB page for the pic.

jagraham

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:40 pm

tendy04 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
tendy04 wrote:

ORD is never going to be ATL, .

ATL clone is the plan!

https://i.postimg.cc/kgL0QNZ3/Screen-Sh ... -10-PM.png

ZBA2CGX

Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:46 pm

tendy04 wrote:
Paschen updated pics a few days ago and I didn't see it, the highlight to me is this one:
The existing C3 and D pavement around the scenic hold pad is currently closed to aircraft with a wingspan larger than 118 feet through the 5 November scheduled 9C-27C commissioning date.

Is the city going to allow a runway run on 9C-27C like they did for the southfield opening of 10C-28C in the fall? That is assuming that we are allowed to get together in groups and not covid restricted.

tendy04

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:43 pm

@jagraham - From a terminal layout, at full buildout, you're absolutely correct. The problem becomes runway utilization. West-flow at ATL you're using 26R/27L for arrivals and departing 26L/27R, taxi distances on those aren't too awful and you've got some midfield departures you can knock out. ATL clearly has an advantage on arrival taxi because of V handling the 26R traffic to the gate, and they're starting to build an end-around on 27L as well (ATL's long-term plan has end-arounds for 8L and 9R as well). A80 doesn't utilize the three arrival streams and use 10-28 nearly as much as ORD takes triples. I'd have to check the stats on that to back up my argument but I recall reading it somewhere. Overall distance from terminal core to the 26's and 27's at ATL is less as well.

There was a post in the 2019 thread where I asked the question about what the taxi-routes would be at buildout, and you're going to see a lot of what we already see on 10C-28C, back-taxing to get behind the departures from the inner runways. That takes time (and burns fuel). LAHSO on 27C could potentially help from a safety point of view, because the 27R traffic could shoot down Z, cross 27C at the west-end if LAHSO is in effect, and then make the left turn onto E, back to the east around and behind the departures going off 27L, and into the terminal core. Even at full build-out, assuming arrivals on the north-side are going to western terminals not-yet-built, they're going to have to either backtrack and make a super-long double-back (that'd be AWFUL) or taxi across an active departure runway -- that's assuming that in west flow you're departing 27L/28R/22L. The days of arriving on 27L, and getting 'Alpha One, northport' and boom you're at the gate are soon to be gone...

I've said it before in other posts and I'll reiterate it here, I'd love for someone from CDA or Ricondo to give the full explanation on why end-arounds weren't built for the west-ends of the C's.

@ZBA2CGX - Not sure, haven't seen anything. New toy, the city likes to show off, I wouldn't doubt it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos