Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
drdisque
Posts: 1320
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:37 pm

For north complex west flow arrivals, Zulu will take arrivals to Uniform to the terminal core.

Remember that ATL does have arrivals cross the active when using 10/28

In West flow south complex arrivals will use Zulu to Lima

East flow is tricky (and always has been with 9L)

My understanding is that 9L arrivals will back track to Zulu, have to hold for 9C arrivals, and 9L departures will go from somewhere east of Zulu.

I'm not sure if 9C arrivals will backtrack to Zulu as well or will cross 9R at Papa Papa.

East flow on south complex is pretty easy other than arrivals on 10R (which they try to use as little as possible) have to hold for 10C arrivals. 10L departures already routinely don't use full length so crossing 10L is no big deal. Again, they will have to backtrack to Zulu to do all this runway crossing as that's the safest place to do it.
 
ORDfan
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:02 pm

jagraham wrote:


That slide was nothing more than a concept as part of the very unofficial "30 year plan." To even call is a plan I think is inaccurate. Nothing beyond the existing ORD 21 TAP is funded; anything beyond that is extremely speculative. Look how much the world has changed in the past 3 months. They are talking about the death of the twin VLA in other forums now. I think we'd see more domestic widebodies before ORD ever sees a Sat 3 or 4, IMO.

Call me very skeptical, but I don't believe a Western terminal, let alone Sat 3 or Sat 4 would ever get built. Not to mention, as of today, that's where the long-awaited deicing pad is.
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 819
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:51 pm

ORDfan wrote:
jagraham wrote:


That slide was nothing more than a concept as part of the very unofficial "30 year plan." To even call is a plan I think is inaccurate. Nothing beyond the existing ORD 21 TAP is funded; anything beyond that is extremely speculative. Look how much the world has changed in the past 3 months. They are talking about the death of the twin VLA in other forums now. I think we'd see more domestic widebodies before ORD ever sees a Sat 3 or 4, IMO.

Call me very skeptical, but I don't believe a Western terminal, let alone Sat 3 or Sat 4 would ever get built. Not to mention, as of today, that's where the long-awaited deicing pad is.


Indeed, who knows what is going to happen. However, we do know something is going to have to be done with T1/T3 eventually.

That said, I will say I no longer think the T5 expansion is necessary. DL/SkyTeam should just stay in the Global Terminal to save costs.
 
tendy04
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:12 pm

drdisque wrote:
For north complex west flow arrivals, Zulu will take arrivals to Uniform to the terminal core.

Remember that ATL does have arrivals cross the active when using 10/28

In West flow south complex arrivals will use Zulu to Lima

East flow is tricky (and always has been with 9L)

My understanding is that 9L arrivals will back track to Zulu, have to hold for 9C arrivals, and 9L departures will go from somewhere east of Zulu.

I'm not sure if 9C arrivals will backtrack to Zulu as well or will cross 9R at Papa Papa.

East flow on south complex is pretty easy other than arrivals on 10R (which they try to use as little as possible) have to hold for 10C arrivals. 10L departures already routinely don't use full length so crossing 10L is no big deal. Again, they will have to backtrack to Zulu to do all this runway crossing as that's the safest place to do it.


Did some quick google earth calculations for west arrivals on the north. My earlier post was also based on full buildout, i.e. after the 9R-27L extension is completely built, that changes things for the short-term when they're landing 27R-27C-28C and departing 28R/22L.

For 27C arrivals taking the first 'nominal' highspeed (not taking the reverse), West on Echo to Z, south on Z to U, East on U to SS, south on SS to T7, T7 to Bravo = 2.44 miles
27C arrival taking the first nominal highspeed: East on E to PP, South on PP to B over the B bridge to A20 - 2.38 miles
Neither of those is too awful.

27R arrivals it gets interesting:
From the C1/C intersection, South on Z, Cross 27C at West end, east onto E to PP, PP->B-> to A20, 4.17 miles
From the C1/C intersection, South on Z to U (crossing 27C and 27L at the west end), then U->SS-T7-B = 2.64 miles -- if you extend that entire route all the way around the core on B all the way to A20, 3.89 miles, so that's clearly the shorter route, but you've gotta cross two actives (1 if LAHSO on 27C).

Compare that with 28C exiting at P2 and ending at LL (east on P to GG, cross 28R, west on N to LL) - 1.85 miles or P -> EE -> Cross 28R - to LL 1.5 miles

I might refine it and just choose a common ending point (thinking A15/N intersection) and see what the average length would be.

IIRC the current A/B flows will be reversed once the 9R-27L extension is commissioned, A will go counter-clockwise and B will go clockwise, makes it a ton easier to get the 27L departures out from their intersection departure points.

It's insanity to be fascinated by this and speculate on it the way I do...just part of the sickness I guess :) In all the TAAM modeling I looked at I never saw a full simulation that ran it this way, but you could in theory land 4 / depart 2 with this buildout in either flow, with high/wide from the south taking the South C, high/wide from the north taking the North C, and the opposite arrival fixes take the outers...any heavies that couldn't take the outers could just extend the downwind and join the high/wide for the centers.

And yeah, ATL has to have 10/28 cross the active, but that runway isn't utilized nearly as much as the 26's and 27's. Long-term they're actually talking about adding a 2nd 10/28 north of the existing.
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:39 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Let us know what your experience is like when you do arrive as passenger to T5.

In case you're still interested:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1447851
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
gabik001
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:16 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:40 pm

TK5 is currently on the way to ORD operating on B789. ETA 0:05.
AF sent yesterday B77W in Sky Team c/s, departed today around hour ago. Also Privilege Style sent yesterday B763 (operating from CGN to ORD and way back to OTP), EC-LZO a/c.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S
 
FromGSPtoChi
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:44 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:02 am

Not good.

Chicago Sues Interjet More Than $2M Over Unpaid Fees.

https://simpleflying.com/chicago-sues-interjet/
 
Jenner43201
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:54 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:57 am

Hello all. Its been a while since I surfaced and looked at this thread again.

Thanks for the pictures with the updates to 9C/27C. I took that and updated an idea I had to create (or move) a 4L/22R near the oil tanks. I posted something similar a couple of years ago, but I can provide an updated picture if interested.

I also saw someone post that Boutique Air (or Air Choice One?) code shares with United and American. Do you think such a small airline would consider flying from Rockford and/or Gary to O'Hare? Or, do Boutique and Air Choice One only fly to airports with Essential Air Service funds?
 
User avatar
kordcj
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:45 am

Jenner43201 wrote:
Hello all. Its been a while since I surfaced and looked at this thread again.

Thanks for the pictures with the updates to 9C/27C. I took that and updated an idea I had to create (or move) a 4L/22R near the oil tanks. I posted something similar a couple of years ago, but I can provide an updated picture if interested.

I also saw someone post that Boutique Air (or Air Choice One?) code shares with United and American. Do you think such a small airline would consider flying from Rockford and/or Gary to O'Hare? Or, do Boutique and Air Choice One only fly to airports with Essential Air Service funds?


Even accounting for traffic, I think RFD-ORD will be a hard sell vs driving. That’s a 90 minute car ride from RFD, and maybe 2hrs on a traffic day. GYY-ORD would be almost equivalent to MDW-ORD. I’m certain Air Choice One and Boutique are both primarily EAS carriers only.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:02 pm

Looks like KLM 747-400M PH-BFY is still on track for retirement AMS-ORD-MHV on June 29.

https://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php ... start=4500
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell BA/KL 744s
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:40 pm



Scandinavian Airlines SAS

Three weeks ago:
yeogeo wrote:
"SAS resumes limited long-haul passenger service from June 2020"
Limited might be an understatement; two routes in total are planned: EWR and ORD.

ORD-CPH A-333 2X/week
Aircraft overnights at O'Hare. Effective June 11


For July increasing ORD-CPH to 4X/week.
Also adding SFO-CPH on July 2 for a total of three long-haul routes for SAS.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200617
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:03 pm

United787 wrote:
Forgive me if this has been discussed, I took a hiatus from A-Net since COVID-19 started because it was too depressing. But, now that things are coming back, I am back. Yes, I am a fairweather fan.

Does someone have a list of international passenger flights that are currently in operation from ORD?


Welcome back, UA787! Totally understand the depression in the face of the effect of Covid on Aviation - I experienced the same but came back to try and chronicle the return of flights.

The difficult thing about staying on top of flights now is that OAG schedules published by many airlines have been aspirational more that factual. A good example is Icelandair who suggested that ORD-KEF flights were to be operational as far back as March, but which were never bookable or flown.
For an example, I have a friend who booked three flights CDG-DTW recently before he got one which he was actually able to board.

Things are settling down now to more reliable schedules, but only reporting from visuals on the field are proof.

As far as a list, if you want to see what's being flown internationally out of O'Hare I suggest you scroll through backwards through the thread. I've tried to make it easier (mostly for me in looking for an airline's previous schedule) by using the same format for all: an aircraft of the airline at the top of the post with the latest schedule below.

:airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane:
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:09 pm

TSA125 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
"[EY] plans to operate 42 routes between 01JUL20 and 15JUL20. Planned operation as of 11JUN20 as follows..."
ORD-AUH 7X/week 787-9


Are these bookable pax flights or cargo/repatriation?


I've never known OAG to issue reports on cargo or repatriation flights, so the answer to your question is that they're pax flights...whether they're actually operated is another matter (a regular refrain these days). Any observations on the field?
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:17 pm

Even if only for a cargo op (I suspect), its good to see Virgin Atlantic back at O'Hare again -with a 789. Nice!

 
drdisque
Posts: 1320
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:21 pm

Jenner43201 wrote:
Hello all. Its been a while since I surfaced and looked at this thread again.

Thanks for the pictures with the updates to 9C/27C. I took that and updated an idea I had to create (or move) a 4L/22R near the oil tanks. I posted something similar a couple of years ago, but I can provide an updated picture if interested.

I also saw someone post that Boutique Air (or Air Choice One?) code shares with United and American. Do you think such a small airline would consider flying from Rockford and/or Gary to O'Hare? Or, do Boutique and Air Choice One only fly to airports with Essential Air Service funds?


Boutique and Air Choice One only fly if there's some sort of subsidy. Also, Boutique prefers somewhat longer stage lengths (200-400 miles) since that's where the PC-12 shines over other 9 seat turboprops/piston engined planes being used as airliners. So no, I don't see either airline being interested in adding service to RFD or GYY.

What I can possibly see Boutique being interested in is ORD-PLN during peak season next summer.
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:24 pm

A beautiful clear shot of O'Hare on April 21 in this shot from Planecatcher.

Amazing how popular these overviews are - after only a few days he's at more than 6,000 views.
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:44 pm



Iberia
"OneWorld member Iberia recently filed preliminary long-haul operation for the month of July 2020, as the airline gradually restores regular operation."

For July 1, 14 destinations announced for IB long-haul including ORD-MAD 1X/week operating A-330, increasing to 4X/week on July 16.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200617
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:55 pm


AeroMexico

One month ago:
yeogeo wrote:
The following is scheduled to commence Mid-June:
ORD-MEX 3X/week 737-800


For July:
ORD-GDL 7X/week
ORD-MEX 5X/week
Both routes to operate with 737-800's.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200519
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:08 pm


KLM

Two months ago:
yeogeo wrote:
From April 12 through May, KLM intends to operate 787-10's 3X/week on its ORD-AMS route.


For July:
ORD-AMS 7X/week with 787-10's.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200623
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1962
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:49 pm

Has Allegiant Airline started MDW service yet?

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
jplatts
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:48 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Has Allegiant Airline started MDW service yet?


There are a few more routes that could be added by G4 out of MDW such as MDW-LAS, MDW-SFB, MDW-AZA, and MDW-SRQ once demand for domestic air travel out of Chicago returns.
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:55 pm

drdisque wrote:
Jenner43201 wrote:
I also saw someone post that Boutique Air... code shares with United and American. Do you think such a small airline would consider flying from Rockford and/or Gary to O'Hare? Or, do Boutique and Air Choice One only fly to airports with Essential Air Service funds?


Boutique and Air Choice One only fly if there's some sort of subsidy. Also, Boutique prefers somewhat longer stage lengths (200-400 miles) since that's where the PC-12 shines over other 9 seat turboprops/piston engined planes being used as airliners. So no, I don't see either airline being interested in adding service to RFD or GYY.

What I can possibly see Boutique being interested in is ORD-PLN during peak season next summer.


I would suggest a seasonal ORD-SUE, at 200mi it fits the bill for 4B!
Door County has a large seasonal inhabitant population from all over, heavy summer tourism and a bit of industry in Sturgeon Bay itself (shipbuilding & ship maintenance).
For the northern end of the County, its a 2 1/2hr drive to the nearest scheduled service (GRB).
I think its only a matter of time. Not sure about the airport itself... will 4599 feet do it for their Pilatus?
 
drdisque
Posts: 1320
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:00 pm

yeogeo wrote:
drdisque wrote:
Jenner43201 wrote:
I also saw someone post that Boutique Air... code shares with United and American. Do you think such a small airline would consider flying from Rockford and/or Gary to O'Hare? Or, do Boutique and Air Choice One only fly to airports with Essential Air Service funds?


Boutique and Air Choice One only fly if there's some sort of subsidy. Also, Boutique prefers somewhat longer stage lengths (200-400 miles) since that's where the PC-12 shines over other 9 seat turboprops/piston engined planes being used as airliners. So no, I don't see either airline being interested in adding service to RFD or GYY.

What I can possibly see Boutique being interested in is ORD-PLN during peak season next summer.


I would suggest a seasonal ORD-SUE, at 200mi it fits the bill for 4B!
Door County has a large seasonal inhabitant population from all over, heavy summer tourism and a bit of industry in Sturgeon Bay itself (shipbuilding & ship maintenance).
For the northern end of the County, its a 2 1/2hr drive to the nearest scheduled service (GRB).
I think its only a matter of time. Not sure about the airport itself... will 4599 feet do it for their Pilatus?


Yes, there would be a better airport in Michigan than PLN too, MGN.

However, the issue with MGN and SUE is that they have no TSA and Boutique will be operating from a secure part of the terminal at ORD and not the FBO. So an MGN or SUE flight would either have to operate to and from the FBO or arrivals would have to be bused on the apron to curbside to go through security before connections.

4599 ft is plenty of runway for a PC-12.
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:45 pm

And now it's Midway's turn for a beautiful overview - taken on June 8.

 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:08 pm

drdisque wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
I would suggest a seasonal ORD-SUE, at 200mi it fits the bill for 4B!
Door County has a large seasonal inhabitant population from all over, heavy summer tourism and a bit of industry in Sturgeon Bay itself (shipbuilding & ship maintenance). ...


Yes, there would be a better airport in Michigan than PLN too, MGN.

However, the issue with MGN and SUE is that they have no TSA and Boutique will be operating from a secure part of the terminal at ORD and not the FBO. So an MGN or SUE flight would either have to operate to and from the FBO or arrivals would have to be bused on the apron to curbside to go through security before connections...

...or the town and county commit to get the TSA - a big community effort I can only imagine.
Maybe in time.
Image
Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz.
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:34 pm

Hadn't noticed this before, from several days ago...
http://mediaroom.jetblue.com/investor-r ... -143034427

One new route out of 30 for jetBlue involves O'Hare:
ORD-PBI, effective October 1, "Up to 1x Daily"
 
x1234
Posts: 876
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:39 pm

What's the status of the train from T1/2/3 to T5? Is it done yet?
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:44 pm

x1234 wrote:
What's the status of the train from T1/2/3 to T5?
Is it done yet?


:eek: No
Why? Don't you like to take the bus?
^humor
Up thread there's been a few mentionings of some of the new cars moving about.
In the CDA the progress or lack of is top secret, apparently.
 
Planeboy17
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:57 pm

yeogeo wrote:
Hadn't noticed this before, from several days ago...
http://mediaroom.jetblue.com/investor-r ... -143034427

One new route out of 30 for jetBlue involves O'Hare:
ORD-PBI, effective October 1, "Up to 1x Daily"

It’s actually showing a 320.
Departs 7:30 am ORD
Arrives 9:55 pm ORD
BOS is showing 5 with 190s
JFK 2 with 190s
FLL is back with 320 but doesn’t seem daily.
All of these are from Oct 1st.
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:36 pm


Looking closer at the above its obvious that the retention pond W west of United's B gates is empty or nearly so.
This is the basin that needed draining by way of a tunnel dug for the purpose under two active runways; one of the first projects needing completion before satellite terminals construction.

Also: the new I-90 / I-490 overpass off the north-east corner of the field (bottom right) - part of the western access project - is prominent
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:40 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
Hadn't noticed this before, from several days ago...
http://mediaroom.jetblue.com/investor-r ... -143034427

One new route out of 30 for jetBlue involves O'Hare:
ORD-PBI, effective October 1, "Up to 1x Daily"

It’s actually showing a 320.
Departs 7:30 am ORD
Arrives 9:55 pm ORD
...

hum.. caught me. I took a guess with the 190.
 
Planeboy17
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:05 am

yeogeo wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
Hadn't noticed this before, from several days ago...
http://mediaroom.jetblue.com/investor-r ... -143034427

One new route out of 30 for jetBlue involves O'Hare:
ORD-PBI, effective October 1, "Up to 1x Daily"

It’s actually showing a 320.
Departs 7:30 am ORD
Arrives 9:55 pm ORD
...

hum.. caught me. I took a guess with the 190.
No worries Geo, I figured the same, B6 seems to be filling up Florida routes so they’ve been using the Airbuses. We’ll see if they can keep plying the 320s with the announced quarantine for CT, NY and NJ.
 
FTMCPIUS
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:47 am

yeogeo wrote:
drdisque wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
I would suggest a seasonal ORD-SUE, at 200mi it fits the bill for 4B!
Door County has a large seasonal inhabitant population from all over, heavy summer tourism and a bit of industry in Sturgeon Bay itself (shipbuilding & ship maintenance). ...


Yes, there would be a better airport in Michigan than PLN too, MGN.

However, the issue with MGN and SUE is that they have no TSA and Boutique will be operating from a secure part of the terminal at ORD and not the FBO. So an MGN or SUE flight would either have to operate to and from the FBO or arrivals would have to be bused on the apron to curbside to go through security before connections...

...or the town and county commit to get the TSA - a big community effort I can only imagine.
Maybe in time.
Image
Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz.

What is KMGN? On the map it looks like the Harbor Springs area, a little south of PLN.
 
FlyersFirst
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:05 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:50 am

wnflyguy wrote:
Has Allegiant Airline started MDW service yet?

Flyguy

Allegiant started service on their announced start up dates for May and June. Of the six routes announced they didn't start MDW- DSM, MDW-ABE, AVL, VPS, SAV and TYS all are operating. Looks like G4 decided to lease A12 from DL instead of using the common use gates on C concourse.
 
drdisque
Posts: 1320
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:35 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
drdisque wrote:

Yes, there would be a better airport in Michigan than PLN too, MGN.

However, the issue with MGN and SUE is that they have no TSA and Boutique will be operating from a secure part of the terminal at ORD and not the FBO. So an MGN or SUE flight would either have to operate to and from the FBO or arrivals would have to be bused on the apron to curbside to go through security before connections...

...or the town and county commit to get the TSA - a big community effort I can only imagine.
Maybe in time.
Image
Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz.

What is KMGN? On the map it looks like the Harbor Springs area, a little south of PLN.


Yes, MGN is Harbor Springs, Michigan, it is only about a half hour drive from PLN, which also doesn't have service to Chicago, but I think service direct to Harbor Springs would have more appeal if it were possible.
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:45 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:
What is KMGN? On the map it looks like the Harbor Springs area, a little south of PLN.


Google is your friend:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbor_Sp ... al_Airport

Since Harbor Springs Municipal Airport doesn't officially have an IATA code, I used the ICAO for the Great Circle Mapper.
 
ORDfan
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:41 am

Looks like AF6740 had a missed approach or aborted landing tonight (June 28); anyone know any details on what happened?

I was at a friend's house this evening on the NW Side (in west Norridge) and I was showing him Flightradar24 (he is not an avgeek), and out of sheer coincidence, I happened to show him this flight to track as she came over the lake (the plane was not visible from his backyard at that time).

About 25 min later, we heard a roar like had not heard in years - it reminded me of growing up near MDW in 90's, hearing the old 737s and 727s taking off. We looked up and shockingly enough, there was AF6740 doing a take-off go around and hard bank south - sharp, she must have been banking right over 294 as we could see the underbelly pointing at us. The sounds was incredible - I had not heard a 777 sound that loud, ever. I'm assuming she was close to full power? Needless to say, I've also never seen a go-around at ORD.

It was a site to behold... unfortunately I wasn't able to snag a photo.

I'm curious if any readers here have any insight as to what happened. It got me thinking: how often does ORD have a missed approach and go-around? It this a once/month or once/year event??

Also I was a little surprised the flight was not directed to fly straight east as other departing aircraft have been doing this evening, and why the plane was forced to do such a sharp turn.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AFR6740
 
drdisque
Posts: 1320
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:03 am

In normal operations go arounds happen roughly daily. In weather situations you can have several in an hour. With the pandemic they have been happening less often although on Friday the afternoon UAX ATL-ORD had a go around in good weather..
 
gabik001
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:16 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:20 am

ORDfan wrote:
Looks like AF6740 had a missed approach or aborted landing tonight (June 28); anyone know any details on what happened?

I was at a friend's house this evening on the NW Side (in west Norridge) and I was showing him Flightradar24 (he is not an avgeek), and out of sheer coincidence, I happened to show him this flight to track as she came over the lake (the plane was not visible from his backyard at that time).

About 25 min later, we heard a roar like had not heard in years - it reminded me of growing up near MDW in 90's, hearing the old 737s and 727s taking off. We looked up and shockingly enough, there was AF6740 doing a take-off go around and hard bank south - sharp, she must have been banking right over 294 as we could see the underbelly pointing at us. The sounds was incredible - I had not heard a 777 sound that loud, ever. I'm assuming she was close to full power? Needless to say, I've also never seen a go-around at ORD.

It was a site to behold... unfortunately I wasn't able to snag a photo.

I'm curious if any readers here have any insight as to what happened. It got me thinking: how often does ORD have a missed approach and go-around? It this a once/month or once/year event??

Also I was a little surprised the flight was not directed to fly straight east as other departing aircraft have been doing this evening, and why the plane was forced to do such a sharp turn.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AFR6740

You heard roaring because of thin air and we got heat wave now so to have a proper lift and proper a/c performance crew needs to use more power when there is a thin air (I think dew point is a factor).
There are special procedures when performing go around (usually turning south regardless of approach direction to 28C/10C and maintain between 2500 and 4000' AGL).
Actually there is at least one missed approach daily. There might be several different factors to perform missed approach - runway interruption, tower order, lack of separation (actually this runway is rarely used for departures) or wind shear. Sharp turn was a result of ATC order probably to not interrupt normal traffic operations. What happened to AFR6740? Difficult to say but ATC recording might be the answer.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S
 
ORDfan
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:48 am

gabik001 wrote:
ORDfan wrote:
Looks like AF6740 had a missed approach or aborted landing tonight (June 28); anyone know any details on what happened?

I was at a friend's house this evening on the NW Side (in west Norridge) and I was showing him Flightradar24 (he is not an avgeek), and out of sheer coincidence, I happened to show him this flight to track as she came over the lake (the plane was not visible from his backyard at that time).

About 25 min later, we heard a roar like had not heard in years - it reminded me of growing up near MDW in 90's, hearing the old 737s and 727s taking off. We looked up and shockingly enough, there was AF6740 doing a take-off go around and hard bank south - sharp, she must have been banking right over 294 as we could see the underbelly pointing at us. The sounds was incredible - I had not heard a 777 sound that loud, ever. I'm assuming she was close to full power? Needless to say, I've also never seen a go-around at ORD.

It was a site to behold... unfortunately I wasn't able to snag a photo.

I'm curious if any readers here have any insight as to what happened. It got me thinking: how often does ORD have a missed approach and go-around? It this a once/month or once/year event??

Also I was a little surprised the flight was not directed to fly straight east as other departing aircraft have been doing this evening, and why the plane was forced to do such a sharp turn.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AFR6740

You heard roaring because of thin air and we got heat wave now so to have a proper lift and proper a/c performance crew needs to use more power when there is a thin air (I think dew point is a factor).
There are special procedures when performing go around (usually turning south regardless of approach direction to 28C/10C and maintain between 2500 and 4000' AGL).
Actually there is at least one missed approach daily. There might be several different factors to perform missed approach - runway interruption, tower order, lack of separation (actually this runway is rarely used for departures) or wind shear. Sharp turn was a result of ATC order probably to not interrupt normal traffic operations. What happened to AFR6740? Difficult to say but ATC recording might be the answer.


Thanks Gabik... I tried to find it on liveATC.com but no luck. There's so many feeds/frequencies for ORD that I gave up searching. Also am not sure if it was 10L or 10C.
 
ORDfan
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:50 am

The CDA released April air traffic data for MDW and ORD.

The numbers are as bad as you probably would have expected.

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollecti ... istics.pdf

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollecti ... istics.pdf
 
Planeboy17
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:50 am

Attn spotters and photographers. Air India is sending a 777-200LR to ORD tomorrow am. It’s currently over China. It’s taking a different route than the normal polar route. ETA is 8:15 am.
 
gabik001
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:16 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:20 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
Attn spotters and photographers. Air India is sending a 777-200LR to ORD tomorrow am. It’s currently over China. It’s taking a different route than the normal polar route. ETA is 8:15 am.


Its a regular AI127 or something different? Today's AI127 was VT-ALO and landed around 7am.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S
 
drdisque
Posts: 1320
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:29 pm

I was bored and our power went out yesterday and drove my daughter out to ORD so we could just sit in air conditioning. I went up Mannheim from the south and saw a EK B77W and an LX A330 parked up against the roadway. I then took I-190 into the Departures loop and other than T1 being completely deserted as it was mid-day and UA re-launched their mid-day bank today, I also noticed a full complement of new ATS trains running test runs, so hopefully that is very close to opening.
 
Planeboy17
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:20 am

Someone just posted in the El Al thread that UA has officially set a 3x weekly ORD-TLV flight starting in September. I don’t know the poster well (United1) but that is what he claims along with some other UA TLV additional flying from other hubs such as EWR, SFO and IAD.
This, and the news of El Al’s government bailout which sounds like shrinking the airline, could mean no LY 787s into ORD anytime soon. I hope I’m proven wrong.
 
ORD Boy 2
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2000 12:25 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:59 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
Someone just posted in the El Al thread that UA has officially set a 3x weekly ORD-TLV flight starting in September. I don’t know the poster well (United1) but that is what he claims along with some other UA TLV additional flying from other hubs such as EWR, SFO and IAD.
This, and the news of El Al’s government bailout which sounds like shrinking the airline, could mean no LY 787s into ORD anytime soon. I hope I’m proven wrong.


ORD- TLV on UA is happening

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel ... -tel-aviv/
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 2153
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:56 am

This isn’t going to help things improve:

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-travel- ... e/6301590/
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
User avatar
Acey559
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:02 am

ORD-TLV is happening starting in September. Mon/Thu/Sat outbound and Mon/Wed/Sat inbound. EWR-TLV, SFO-TLV and IAD-TLV are also starting up. We are also negotiating starting India again and resuming ORD-HKG.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:47 am

DL717 wrote:
This isn’t going to help things improve:

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-travel- ... e/6301590/


Definitely not if people actually follow it. I’m flying into ORD in under a month for a weekend visit in west suburbs. I hope the quarantine doesn’t extend to them.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4 F9
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
jcwr56
Posts: 969
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:03 pm

I would expect LY in 2021 at the earliest. I can imagine the same applies for NZ and QF. AY won't be back until S21, CX keeps pushing back their return. Norwegian, technically they still hold times but lets' face it, I don't see them coming back. HU and MU are operating cargo only..Interjet, not with the millions owed to the CDA. AZ, given they're a seasonal carrier, you have 3 months or remaining, so I would guess not until S21.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos