yeogeo

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 am

yeogeo wrote:
chidino wrote:
Latest bid package:

Bid Package #3, Elevated Parking Structure Restoration
AECOM Hunt Clayco JV has been selected as the CMR for the restoration of the elevated parking structure at O'Hare International Airport.

How old is that thing?

(answering my own question)
46 years old.

"A six-level parking facility was opened in 1974, bringing O'Hare International Airport's parking capacity to 9,300 cars. That same year, a pedestrian tunnel system linking the parking structure, O'Hare Hilton Hotel and the terminal complex was also completed."

https://www.flychicago.com/business/CDA ... OHare.aspx
currently practicing hygge

Planeboy17

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:06 am

chidino wrote:
Latest bid package:

Pre-Qualification Notice Date:
Monday, January 13, 2020

AECOM Hunt Clayco JV has been selected as the CMR for the restoration of the elevated parking structure at O'Hare International Airport.

The project includes:

Partial and full depth slab and joist repairs
Routing and sealing of cracks
Removal and replacement of damaged expansion joints and trench drains
Post tensioning repairs
Waterproofing membrane restoration and repair
Pavement markings
Fencing replacement

I hadn't heard about this, but I'm very glad: the main parking structure is looking very rough. I hadn't noticed as much degradation of the structure itself, but the rust, the fencing, and the basic external condition gave it a down-at-the-heels
feel.

Very happy to read this. I hate seeing all of the rust, especially facing Terminal 3.
I also agree with the planters. Hopefully we’ll see note of those and less rust.

maxkd

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:21 am

Allegiant launching nonstop flights between MDW and 6 destinations:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 4458672002

Allentown, Pennsylvania: Flights begin May 14, with one-way fares starting at $33.

Des Moines, Iowa: Flights begin May 21, with one-way fares starting at $33.

Savannah, Georgia: Flights begin May 21, with one-way fares starting at $33.

Asheville, North Carolina: Flights begin May 21, with one-way fares starting at $33.

Knoxville, Tennessee: Flights begin May 21, with one-way fares starting at $33.

Destin/Fort Walton Beach, Florida: Flights begin June 5, with one-way fares starting at $33.

muralir

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:33 am

chidino wrote:
Latest bid package:

Pre-Qualification Notice Date:
Monday, January 13, 2020

The project includes:

Partial and full depth slab and joist repairs
Routing and sealing of cracks
Removal and replacement of damaged expansion joints and trench drains
Post tensioning repairs
Waterproofing membrane restoration and repair
Pavement markings
Fencing replacement

I hadn't heard about this, but I'm very glad: the main parking structure is looking very rough. I hadn't noticed as much degradation of the structure itself, but the rust, the fencing, and the basic external condition gave it a down-at-the-heels feel.

Are they actually filling all of their parking spots? MDW just cancelled their parking lot expansion due to a decline in parkers. And at ORD, the CONRAC adds a few floors of new parking. If they price it competitively, I'm sure they can draw demand from the private lots, but that still seems like a poor use of precious airport property.

Boy, with the Hilton hotel in need of a large overhaul, and now the parking facility, it would be such a perfect time to expand the OGT over the roadway and take up the space where the Hilton now sits. Take advantage of all the maintenance costs that were deferred and do a rebuild! Maybe Calatrava and Studio Gang were on to something with their designs to completely demolish the parking lot :-)

Planeboy17

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:11 am

maxkd wrote:

Allentown, Pennsylvania: Flights begin May 14, with one-way fares starting at $33.

Asheville, North Carolina: Flights begin May 21, with one-way fares starting at $33.

Destin/Fort Walton Beach, Florida: Flights begin June 5, with one-way fares starting at $33.

Wow! Didn’t see this coming.
Is it just me or are these some “ interesting “ destinations?
DSM and ABE? Who are they going after there? Hell, you can drive to DSM from MDW in what, 4-5 hours?
The other 3 destinations should be okay for summer tourists but good luck on the other 2.
Just glad to see another carrier at MDW.

chidino

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 am

muralir wrote:
Are they actually filling all of their parking spots? MDW just cancelled their parking lot expansion due to a decline in parkers. And at ORD, the CONRAC adds a few floors of new parking. If they price it competitively, I'm sure they can draw demand from the private lots, but that still seems like a poor use of precious airport property.

Boy, with the Hilton hotel in need of a large overhaul, and now the parking facility, it would be such a perfect time to expand the OGT over the roadway and take up the space where the Hilton now sits. Take advantage of all the maintenance costs that were deferred and do a rebuild! Maybe Calatrava and Studio Gang were on to something with their designs to completely demolish the parking lot :-)

Actually, the MMF only added 2676 spots; I say "only" because Lot E will be closing, due to its location just east of 9C/27C, and that is a loss of more than ~4000 spots (doing this from suspect memory -- did the before/after in 2018 and can't find it. Please correct me if I got it wrong.) So, net, O'Hare is prepared to trim about 1500-2000 spaces with that closure, and in addition I believe the parking garage for T5 has been axed as well. Of course, none of that can happen until the ATS is finally open and the station in Lot E is no longer the terminus.

As to your comment about pulling business from the private lots -- they're going to be kind of doing that, simply by banning all shuttle buses to the terminals once the ATS is (finally) delivered. So if you park offsite, it's going to be a bit of a pain to get there -- ATS to the MMF and then a bus to offsite. Plus, the city gets to charge the offsite shuttle buses for pickups. All about the revenue; O'Hare didn't invent it.

Also, I just noticed that CDA is now saying 9C/27C is scheduled to open 11/05/20. A specific day (obviously needed to allow for charts, diagrams, etc) Is that new, or did I miss that? Another on-time delivery!

jcwr56

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:27 am

chidino wrote:
muralir wrote:

Actually, the MMF only added 2676 spots; I say "only" because Lot E will be closing, due to its location just east of 9C/27C, and that is a loss of more than ~4000 spots (doing this from suspect memory -- did the before/after in 2018 and can't find it. Please correct me if I got it wrong.) So, net, O'Hare is prepared to trim about 1500-2000 spaces with that closure, and in addition I believe the parking garage for T5 has been axed as well. Of course, none of that can happen until the ATS is finally open and the station in Lot E is no longer the terminus.

As to your comment about pulling business from the private lots -- they're going to be kind of doing that, simply by banning all shuttle buses to the terminals once the ATS is (finally) delivered. So if you park offsite, it's going to be a bit of a pain to get there -- ATS to the MMF and then a bus to offsite. Plus, the city gets to charge the offsite shuttle buses for pickups. All about the revenue; O'Hare didn't invent it.

Also, I just noticed that CDA is now saying 9C/27C is scheduled to open 11/05/20. A specific day (obviously needed to allow for charts, diagrams, etc) Is that new, or did I miss that? Another on-time delivery!

The T5 lot is still moving forward.

icareflies

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:04 pm

AF777-300ER and 9W737-900 - Love it! Love it

yeogeo

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:22 pm

icareflies wrote:

Bits and drabs of news (for me, anyway) such as:
•the contract with Skidmore has not yet been signed, but Commissioner Rhee said the city is “very close” to getting it done.
•close to selecting a lead engineer to design the tunnel to connect the concourses and the OGT.
•a date for ground breaking on Sats 1 & 2: January 2022 (and a price tag of "about $1.4 billion")...

Several passing mentions of the long-delayed ATS of course, but no dates for opening except for "late spring". Hopefully they're setting us up to exceed expectations with an earlier opening.

The article makes it clear how much is ongoing and planned (wish there was a tornado emoji).
Commissioner Rhee: "My No. 1 goal is to have someone come through Chicago and not even know we’re under construction... We want to bring this in on time and on budget, and we want to make sure that we’re doing it in a way that’s the least disruptive to the traveling public as possible."

It's down in print! Sure hope you can accomplish this, Commissioner!

yeogeo

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:27 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
maxkd wrote:

...Just glad to see another carrier at MDW.

All twice weekly, right? so not a huge strain on the facilities...
What is the gate situation at Midway? Any expectations of where they might fly out of?

United787

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:12 pm

yeogeo wrote:
icareflies wrote:
•the contract with Skidmore has not yet been signed, but Commissioner Rhee said the city is “very close” to getting it done.
•close to selecting a lead engineer to design the tunnel to connect the concourses and the OGT.
•a date for ground breaking on Sats 1 & 2: January 2022 (and a price tag of "about $1.4 billion")...

I find this a little disappointing. SOM was selected in July 2019, 6 months ago, and they still haven't worked out the contract and therefore have not begun design? I understand that Studio ORD's design work for the Global Terminal needs to be ahead of SOM's design work because they are setting the design standards. But, I assume that the two Satellite Concourses (SOM) need to be designed AND constructed before they can start demolishing T2 for construction of the Global Terminal so there is never a net loss of gates. Which means that T2 demolition can't start until 1/2022 with construction on the Global Terminal soon afterwards.

The tunnel will also need to be completed at least between the the two Satellite Concourses and they haven't even hired the engineer for that piece. I wonder if the new tunnel will be completed all the way to T1 before T2 is complete? If so, you could go directly from T1 to Satellite (#1 or #2). Or, if not, while T2 is being reconstructed, if you want to goto the western most Satellite (#2), will you need to check into T1, go through the existing B to C tunnel, turn left and walk to the south end of C into the new Satellite (#1) and then go through the new tunnel to #2.

United787

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm

"Asked if the city is looking at alternative ways to get to the airport, Rhee said the Aviation Department has talked with Metra about expanding service on its North Central Line. The department is building a covered walkway from the commuter railroad’s O’Hare station to the airport’s multimodal parking facility, which will connect with the people mover, Rhee said."

1. I always assumed that a connection from the Metra station to the ATS was incorporated/integrated into the design of the CONCRAC, is that not the case? It sounds like an afterthought?

2. I hope that the Global Terminal project is making accommodations for a potential future direct express service to the Loop. I think the Metra station has some purpose but would not work for an express line because the Metra to ATS connection timing would negate any savings the express line would have over the existing CTA service.

sircygnus

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:46 pm

I say "only" because Lot E will be closing, due to its location just east of 9C/27C, and that is a loss of more than ~4000 spots (doing this from suspect memory -- did the before/after in 2018 and can't find it. Please correct me if I got it wrong.

I hadn't heard this before. Is there a Reason why Lot E would need to close due to proximity to 9C/27C, when for years the rental car lots were similarly placed to 9R/27L?

ORD Boy 2

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:55 pm

yeogeo wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
maxkd wrote:

...Just glad to see another carrier at MDW.

All twice weekly, right? so not a huge strain on the facilities...
What is the gate situation at Midway? Any expectations of where they might fly out of?

My guess is C1, C2 or C3...

ORD Boy 2

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:06 pm

United787 wrote:
"Asked if the city is looking at alternative ways to get to the airport, Rhee said the Aviation Department has talked with Metra about expanding service on its North Central Line. The department is building a covered walkway from the commuter railroad’s O’Hare station to the airport’s multimodal parking facility, which will connect with the people mover, Rhee said."

1. I always assumed that a connection from the Metra station to the ATS was incorporated/integrated into the design of the CONCRAC, is that not the case? It sounds like an afterthought?

2. I hope that the Global Terminal project is making accommodations for a potential future direct express service to the Loop. I think the Metra station has some purpose but would not work for an express line because the Metra to ATS connection timing would negate any savings the express line would have over the existing CTA service.

As a former rider of the Metra North Central Service, the Canadian National restricts how many trains Metra can run on that line. I used to board at a stop in Zone F to get to ORD in 15 minutes at Rush Hour, but at non rush, I would call a cab from My NW Suburban home.. It isn't worth it with the infrequency of service.

SRQLOT

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:10 pm

ORD Boy 2 wrote:
United787 wrote:

As a former rider of the Metra North Central Service, the Canadian National restricts how many trains Metra can run on that line. I used to board at a stop in Zone F to get to ORD in 15 minutes at Rush Hour, but at non rush, I would call a cab from My NW Suburban home.. It isn't worth it with the infrequency of service.

Also very frustrating is that there is no weekend and holiday service in that Metra line.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,RFD,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL, MCO,RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)

chidino

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:13 pm

sircygnus wrote:
I say "only" because Lot E will be closing, due to its location just east of 9C/27C, and that is a loss of more than ~4000 spots (doing this from suspect memory -- did the before/after in 2018 and can't find it. Please correct me if I got it wrong.

I hadn't heard this before. Is there a Reason why Lot E would need to close due to proximity to 9C/27C, when for years the rental car lots were similarly placed to 9R/27L?

Lot E (and the old rental and employee lots) were apparently grandfathered in. Lot E is well within the FAA's Object Free Area for 9C: https://www.transportation.gov/tifia/financed-projects/chicago-ohare-international-airport-consolidated-joint-use-facility Also, the Lot E ATS station will be closing as well, with Lot G served by "green buses" from the MMF.

Last edited by chidino on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SRQLOT

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:13 pm

maxkd wrote:

I just flew Allegiant for the first time SRQ to Rockford and I said I wish Allegiant would fly to Midway! That’s very exciting and maybe they will expand to more destinations?
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,RFD,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL, MCO,RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)

jplatts

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:31 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
I just flew Allegiant for the first time SRQ to Rockford and I said I wish Allegiant would fly to Midway! That’s very exciting and maybe they will expand to more destinations?

G4 is unlikely to add MDW-FLL nonstop service anytime soon with AA, UA, WN, NK, F9, and B6 all already serving the MIA/FLL market nonstop from Chicago.

While AA, UA, WN, F9, and B6 already serve MCO nonstop from Chicago, G4 adding MDW-SFB nonstop service might be a possibility with SFB being on the opposite side of Orlando and with SFB being much closer to Daytona Beach than MCO is. G4 might also be able to capture some O&D traffic to Chicago from the north side of the Orlando metro area and the Daytona Beach area if it adds MDW-SFB nonstop service.

There are a few other nonstop routes out of MDW that could be added by G4 such as MDW-BZN, MDW-XNA, MDW-PSP, and MDW-PVU.

While G4 adding MDW-RIC nonstop service might be a possibility due to G4 already serving RIC and G4 having already announced plans to serve MDW, WN is more likely to add MDW-RIC nonstop service than G4 is with
(a) WN already having a significant FF base in the Chicago market to support MDW-RIC nonstop service,
(b) RIC being one of the top destinations that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from MDW,
(c) WN being able to offer 1-stop connecting service to at least 14 additional domestic markets from RIC if WN adds RIC-MDW nonstop service,
(d) WN being able to make MDW-RIC nonstop service work with less O&D traffic, and
(e) the lack of MDW-RIC nonstop service being one of the biggest holes in WN's network.

yeogeo

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:52 pm

United787 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

...Which means that T2 demolition can't start until 1/2022 with construction on the Global Terminal soon afterwards.

:shakehead: The January 2022 is the scheduled start date, not completion date of the Satellites... afraid you're going to have to wait a year or two beyond that for demolition of T-2.

United787 wrote:
I wonder if the new tunnel will be completed all the way to T1 before T2 is complete? If so, you could go directly from T1 to Satellite (#1 or #2). Or, if not, while T2 is being reconstructed, if you want to goto the western most Satellite (#2), will you need to check into T1, go through the existing B to C tunnel, turn left and walk to the south end of C into the new Satellite (#1) and then go through the new tunnel to #2.

I vote for plan A! Plan B would be a pain.
FWIW, the tunnel location is shown in the schematic (see post 49 on p.1) as coming in at the far south end of T-1 C gates, so that should skirt the demolition of T-2 / construction of the OGT.

sircygnus

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:02 pm

chidino wrote:
sircygnus wrote:

Lot E (and the old rental and employee lots) were apparently grandfathered in. Lot E is well within the FAA's Object Free Area for 9C: https://www.transportation.gov/tifia/financed-projects/chicago-ohare-international-airport-consolidated-joint-use-facility Also, the Lot E ATS station will be closing as well, with Lot G served by "green buses" from the MMF.

Awesome, and interesting. Thanks for the information!

ORD Boy 2

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:57 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
ORD Boy 2 wrote:
United787 wrote:

Also very frustrating is that there is no weekend and holiday service in that Metra line.

Why do you think I switched to the UP-NW? :)

yeogeo

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:25 pm

ORD Boy 2 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

Anyone operating out of those gates now?
If G4 wanted to expand to several gates would they have the room?
:confused:

ckfred

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:32 pm

It seems to me that the economy lot south of the rental car garage can't be that big of an issue. I've heard that it's the structure where the tickets are dispensed for entry to the lot and payment is made while exiting that is the problem. Considering that the ATS elevated tracks will remain, if the structure at the entrance/exit is removed (just put the credit card readers like many lots have), or the lot is reconfigured with a entry/exit structure that is between runways, that should solve the problem.

I thought that the first floor of the garage had the drop-offs for shuttles from off-site parking, as well as the hotels. The only shuttles going to Terminals 1, 2, and 3 were the rental car buses, and those were gone with the opening of the rental car garage.

So, are the offsite parking garages being forced out of the parking garage and to the rental car garage?

Planeboy17

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:01 am

jplatts wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:

While AA, UA, WN, F9, and B6 already serve MCO nonstop from Chicago, G4 adding MDW-SFB nonstop service might be a possibility with SFB being on the opposite side of Orlando and with SFB being much closer to Daytona Beach than MCO is.

B6 doesn’t serve ORD-MCO.

BNAMealer

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:06 am

What is going on with the former rental car lots? I haven't been over by that area of ORD in a while and I was wondering if they were going to convert the lots into more parking or do something else.

yeogeo wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
chidino wrote:
Latest bid package:

How old is that thing?

(answering my own question)
46 years old.

"A six-level parking facility was opened in 1974, bringing O'Hare International Airport's parking capacity to 9,300 cars. That same year, a pedestrian tunnel system linking the parking structure, O'Hare Hilton Hotel and the terminal complex was also completed."

https://www.flychicago.com/business/CDA ... OHare.aspx

Don't they tentatively have plans for the garage to be replaced in a future phase beyond the initial ORD 21 work, or was that just my imagination? I do think it will have to be replaced at some point.

jplatts

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:12 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
B6 doesn’t serve ORD-MCO.

I actually meant to say NK already serving MCO nonstop from ORD instead of B6 having nonstop service to MCO from ORD.

wnflyguy

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:48 am

yeogeo wrote:
ORD Boy 2 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

Yes. Up at the TC their space that first Frontier then Sun Country used to occupy.
Under the C gates there is some office/Ramp space.
Allegiant contracts out anything it can so they could easily use the same company both Porter and Volaris use.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

wnflyguy

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:37 am

wnflyguy wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
ORD Boy 2 wrote:

Yes. Up at the TC their space that first Frontier then Sun Country used to occupy.
Under the C gates there is some office/Ramp space.
Allegiant contracts out anything it can so they could easily use the same company both Porter and Volaris use.

Flyguy

The only scheduled service using The C gates is Ultimate Air Shuttle public charter with a daily flight to MBL and LUK.
Other than that WN will use the gates to off load RON aircraft that are going to the hanger.
Delta parks it's Sport team 757 charters at the C gates.
Allegiant like Frontier and Sun Country should have first priority on the gates.
The way Allegiant operates it's less than Daily schedules . I think 3 gates gives them ample opportunities for a plethora of new cities from MDW without going head to head with anyone else.

Unlike the dismal failure GYY was last go around MDW should be a smashing success.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

chidino

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:04 am

ckfred wrote:
It seems to me that the economy lot south of the rental car garage can't be that big of an issue. I've heard that it's the structure where the tickets are dispensed for entry to the lot and payment is made while exiting that is the problem. Considering that the ATS elevated tracks will remain, if the structure at the entrance/exit is removed (just put the credit card readers like many lots have), or the lot is reconfigured with a entry/exit structure that is between runways, that should solve the problem.

I thought that the first floor of the garage had the drop-offs for shuttles from off-site parking, as well as the hotels. The only shuttles going to Terminals 1, 2, and 3 were the rental car buses, and those were gone with the opening of the rental car garage.

So, are the offsite parking garages being forced out of the parking garage and to the rental car garage?

Once the ATS is back up, the stated intention is to stop all shuttle buses to anywhere but the MMF. The current pickup in the main garage disappears (it came about only because the ATS did not open with the MMF). In the opening statements for the MMF, CDA talked about eliminating "1.1 million shuttle bus trips to the terminals per year." It does make a lot of sense, though, and not just from controlling revenue and pollution: the main terminals are tightest and frontage shortest at T2 (something we don't notice with the relatively light T2 traffic). Obviously, that changes dramatically with the OGT. Getting rid of the buses is pretty much just attempting to survive once we reach that point.

United787

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:54 pm

yeogeo wrote:
The January 2022 is the scheduled start date, not completion date of the Satellites... afraid you're going to have to wait a year or two beyond that for demolition of T-2.

Oops, you are right, typo. I would bet the Satellites are completed in 2024-25. 2-3 years for the Satellites which is an easier project due to it being essentially a "clean site" except for a little asphalt and concrete. That gives the Global Terminal 3-4 years (2028 completion) which is much more complicated since they will need to demo T2, E and F first and there is a lot of existing infrastructure that will need to be reconfigured.

Mexicana757

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:11 pm

Glad to see G4 add MDW to their route network! :hyper: Last time MDW-SAV was operated was in the late 1990's by Air South and MDW-TYS by F9 in the early 2010's when they were changing their business model an ULCC. Interesting choice of routes. Would have thought PIE, PGD or SRQ would have been started before DSM or AVL, maybe for the winter. Looking forward to see what G4 has planned for MDW.
yeogeo wrote:
ORD Boy 2 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

Allegiant has plenty of room to expand; C1, C2, and C3 are common use gates. Of the three, C3 is the only one that gets used once a day by Ultimate for the MDW-MBL flight. The only other time they get used as WNflyguy said is for the Delta sports charters and the once in a blue moon casino charters operate by Sun Country to GPT and IFP. The only other gate that is rarely use is Delta's A12.

Looking at the schedule all of the G4 routes into MDW operate 2x weekly. ABE, AVL, DSM, SAV and TYS operate Sundays and Thursdays, VPS operates Mondays and Fridays. All have about 40 minute turnaround except ABE the aircraft stays at MDW for 4.5 hours. New route possibly that hasn't been announced... :scratchchin: ;)

Confuscius

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:52 pm

United787 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
The January 2022 is the scheduled start date, not completion date of the Satellites... afraid you're going to have to wait a year or two beyond that for demolition of T-2.

...I would bet the Satellites are completed in 2024-25. 2-3 years for the Satellites which is an easier project due to it being essentially a "clean site" except for a little asphalt and concrete. That gives the Global Terminal 3-4 years (2028 completion) which is much more complicated since they will need to demo T2, E and F first and there is a lot of existing infrastructure that will need to be reconfigured.

Don't forget a big retention pond to fill in. Also, what's with the kiss n fly lot? What if you have no one to kiss or don't one to, can you still use it? ;)
Ain't I a stinker?

jetblastdubai

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:13 pm

Confuscius wrote:
Also, what's with the kiss n fly lot? What if you have no one to kiss or don't want to, can you still use it? ;)

You need to find the "drop and roll" lot!

ckfred

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:12 pm

chidino wrote:
ckfred wrote:

Once the ATS is back up, the stated intention is to stop all shuttle buses to anywhere but the MMF. The current pickup in the main garage disappears (it came about only because the ATS did not open with the MMF). In the opening statements for the MMF, CDA talked about eliminating "1.1 million shuttle bus trips to the terminals per year." It does make a lot of sense, though, and not just from controlling revenue and pollution: the main terminals are tightest and frontage shortest at T2 (something we don't notice with the relatively light T2 traffic). Obviously, that changes dramatically with the OGT. Getting rid of the buses is pretty much just attempting to survive once we reach that point.

Actually, the ATS opened ahead of the shuttle bus pick-up/drop-off area in the garage. The ATS was operating, when Terminal 5 opened for arriving passengers. Then, later the terminal opened for departing passengers. The ticketing, baggage claim and customs/immigration areas were closed in the garage and the bus areas were created.

I've been to a lot of airports where the rental cars are in a garage some distance from the terminals. So either a train (ATL) or bus (SEA, PHX, IAH) shuttles passengers to and from the garages. But, I haven't been to an airport where the hotel and off-site parking shuttles go to the rental car garage. ATL has a nice set up where the off-site parking and hotel buses have a dedicated parking area on the west side of the terminal, since drop-offs/pick-ups are on the north and south sides of the terminal.

If every last person who needs to go to remote parking, off-site parking, a rental car pick-up, Metra, or a hotel with shuttle service, as well as passengers going between T1,2,3, and 5, that is going to overwhelm the trains, as well as the elevators/escalators connecting the baggage claims and ticketing to the walkways over upper level roadways.

AmricanShamrok

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:43 pm

yeogeo wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
Seems Ethiopian has gone triple seven.
From Dec 1 to Jan 1 (23 r/ts), ET575 has operated the 77L 16 times, with 5 788 & two 789 roundtrips.

^^An ET 77L departing ORD on Dec 21.

Update: Today's ET574 is back to 788 after 20+ roundtrips with the 77L over an extended holiday season.

Incidentally, on 24Dec ET's 77L ET-ANQ performed a non-stop ADD-ORD, doing without the usual stop in Ireland west-bound, landing at O'Hare at 3:55am on Christmas day.

Interesting. It must have been payload restricted I imagine. DUB was closed on Christmas Day but I l believe the flight used SNN as a refueling stop the previous year.

yeogeo

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:50 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
maxkd wrote:
Allegiant launching nonstop flights between MDW and 6 destinations...

Is it just me or are these some “ interesting “ destinations?
DSM and ABE? Who are they going after there? Hell, you can drive to DSM from MDW in what, 4-5 hours?
The other 3 destinations should be okay for summer tourists but good luck on the other 2.
Just glad to see another carrier at MDW.

The Points Guy has an article talking about Allegiant breaking out of its original mold as a carrier of pax from smaller markets to beach & sun destinations.

"While those routes remain part of Allegiant’s DNA, the airline has increasingly turned its focus to larger markets during the past decade...
Tuesday’s announcement thrusts Allegiant into three of the nation’s biggest markets in one fell swoop." (referring to MDW, BOS, HOU being added in this latest 44 route expansion).
"Allegiant has already dabbled with such routes – think Cincinnati-Newark, as one example – and new city pairs like Des Moines-Chicago and Grand Rapids-Boston feel like an extension of that strategy... More broadly, Allegiant’s summer schedule adds dozens of big-city connections to smaller markets....Airports in Knoxville, Tennessee, and Asheville, North Carolina, both now have nonstop flights to Austin, Boston, Chicago Midway and Houston Hobby."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/allegiant ... o-houston/

yeogeo

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:56 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
Seems Ethiopian has gone triple seven.
From Dec 1 to Jan 1 (23 r/ts), ET575 has operated the 77L 16 times, with 5 788 & two 789 roundtrips.

^^An ET 77L departing ORD on Dec 21.

Update: Today's ET574 is back to 788 after 20+ roundtrips with the 77L over an extended holiday season.

Incidentally, on 24Dec ET's 77L ET-ANQ performed a non-stop ADD-ORD, doing without the usual stop in Ireland west-bound, landing at O'Hare at 3:55am on Christmas day.

Interesting. It must have been payload restricted I imagine. DUB was closed on Christmas Day but I l believe the flight used SNN as a refueling stop the previous year.

On FR24 the Christmas Eve flight was listed with a stop in SNN, as you suggested, but was shown "diverted" to ORD :)
Either payload restricted ...or a light load?

yeogeo

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:04 pm

Mexicana757 wrote:
Glad to see G4 add MDW to their route network! :hyper: Last time MDW-SAV was operated was in the late 1990's by Air South and MDW-TYS by F9 in the early 2010's when they were changing their business model an ULCC. Interesting choice of routes. Would have thought PIE, PGD or SRQ would have been started before DSM or AVL, maybe for the winter. Looking forward to see what G4 has planned for MDW.

Allegiant has plenty of room to expand; C1, C2, and C3 are common use gates. Of the three, C3 is the only one that gets used once a day by Ultimate for the MDW-MBL flight. The only other time they get used as WNflyguy said is for the Delta sports charters and the once in a blue moon casino charters operate by Sun Country to GPT and IFP. The only other gate that is rarely use is Delta's A12.

Looking at the schedule all of the G4 routes into MDW operate 2x weekly. ABE, AVL, DSM, SAV and TYS operate Sundays and Thursdays, VPS operates Mondays and Fridays. All have about 40 minute turnaround except ABE the aircraft stays at MDW for 4.5 hours. New route possibly that hasn't been announced... :scratchchin: ;)

Interesting info, Mexicana -thanks. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

yeogeo

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:32 pm

ckfred wrote:
If every last person who needs to go to remote parking, off-site parking, a rental car pick-up, Metra, or a hotel with shuttle service, as well as passengers going between T1,2,3, and 5, that is going to overwhelm the trains, as well as the elevators/escalators connecting the baggage claims and ticketing to the walkways over upper level roadways.

Well we shall see about "overwhelm"... but the (bigger car, more frequent train) system better d*%$mn well be robust and reliable!

chidino

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:10 am

yeogeo wrote:
ckfred wrote:

Well we shall see about "overwhelm"... but the (bigger car, more frequent train) system better d*%$mn well be robust and reliable!

With triple the trains (and the modern control system), that hopefully won't be a problem. If it is, O'Hare can buy more cars, off-the-shelf, unlike the old system.

chicawgo

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:18 am

yeogeo wrote:

The Points Guy has an article talking about Allegiant breaking out of its original mold as a carrier of pax from smaller markets to beach & sun destinations.

"While those routes remain part of Allegiant’s DNA, the airline has increasingly turned its focus to larger markets during the past decade...
Tuesday’s announcement thrusts Allegiant into three of the nation’s biggest markets in one fell swoop." (referring to MDW, BOS, HOU being added in this latest 44 route expansion).
"Allegiant has already dabbled with such routes – think Cincinnati-Newark, as one example – and new city pairs like Des Moines-Chicago and Grand Rapids-Boston feel like an extension of that strategy... More broadly, Allegiant’s summer schedule adds dozens of big-city connections to smaller markets....Airports in Knoxville, Tennessee, and Asheville, North Carolina, both now have nonstop flights to Austin, Boston, Chicago Midway and Houston Hobby."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/allegiant ... o-houston/

But chicago IS a beach and sun destination in the summer 8-)

airborneX0101

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:06 pm

For those of you that are interested, I got a picture of the American Airlines MD-80 that was donated to Lewis University, parked right next to the 737-200 that United Airlines donated over 20 years ago.

ORDfan

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:42 am

jcwr56 wrote:
chidino wrote:
muralir wrote:

I think Chidino is right about the T5 lot. I can't find it now, but there was a Crain's article floating around here last year that said the T5 parking garage and hotel were on-hold indefinitely.

United787 wrote:

Some of the early renderings did make it seem like it was more integrated than it actually turned out. The north end of the CONRAC does get very close to the Metra station (you can see on satellite images), but it is still an outdoor walk, though it's not too far. I think a covered walkway will go a long way, but it would've been much better if they actually extended/integrated the platform/walkway to the station in the first place, like an enclosed station. In any case, as some other guys have said: I think service (or lack of) is probably a bigger issue.

airborneX0101 wrote:
For those of you that are interested, I got a picture of the American Airlines MD-80 that was donated to Lewis University, parked right next to the 737-200 that United Airlines donated over 20 years ago.

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing! Can I ask if you took this photo from a public spot, or do you have access to the airfield? I would love for it to be open to the public some day, if the students don't tear it apart first haha.

ORDfan

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:44 am

maxkd wrote:

Great news! Very unlikely I'll ever fly them, but happy to see another tail come to MDW. With the SW fleet in disarray, MDW probably has some spare capacity and definitely the pax totals could use it.

chidino

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:00 am

ORDfan wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:

I think Chidino is right about the T5 lot. I can't find it now, but there was a Crain's article floating around here last year that said the T5 parking garage and hotel were on-hold indefinitely.

(Sort of) found it: current sketch of T5 reveals no garage. Image

In the accompanying text https://www.ord21.com/About/Pages/Happening-Now.aspx, CDA states

"Additional future improvements include:

Replacing 25-year-old baggage handling with a new state-of-the-art system, with baggage ID
A new parking garage to replace existing surface parking, which will yield 1,600 additional spaces adjacent to the terminal building (My emphasis)
Multiple roadway enhancements to increase lanes and alleviate traffic bottleneck to and from O’Hare
Expanded curbside area to enhance drop off and to help passengers more easily traverse between Terminals 1, 2, 3"

The CDA keeps releasing and then changing. Is it just me, or do we know suspiciously little about the T5 expansion -- like what it will look like inside? I sincerely hope this doesn't continue with the concourses and OGT.

Planeboy17

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:33 am

That illustration is certainly interesting. First, Terminal 3 is not only completely redone but is apparently 380 capable. Also, all the planes are generic white except the 2 787s parked at T3 are in Qantas colors except for no red. There are also a couple of 727s parked next to them. Lastly, the airplane next to the 380 in the forefront of the diagram parked at T5 has a Skyteam logo on it.
Just some random oddities there.

yeogeo

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:34 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
That illustration is certainly interesting. First, Terminal 3 is not only completely redone but is apparently 380 capable. Also, all the planes are generic white except the 2 787s parked at T3 are in Qantas colors except for no red. There are also a couple of 727s parked next to them. Lastly, the airplane next to the 380 in the forefront of the diagram parked at T5 has a Skyteam logo on it.

:D There's also a Aussie flag on the Dreamliner on the far right of the illustration...
I don't think we are supposed to look that closely.

sircygnus

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:28 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:

Illustration also makes me wonder why they wouldn't build an extra ATS stop for the East end of T5. Would be quite the hike from the existing ATS stop all the way back to the east end of T5.

jcwr56

Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:07 pm

chidino wrote:
ORDfan wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:

(Sort of) found it: current sketch of T5 reveals no garage. Image

In the accompanying text https://www.ord21.com/About/Pages/Happening-Now.aspx, CDA states

"Additional future improvements include:

Replacing 25-year-old baggage handling with a new state-of-the-art system, with baggage ID
A new parking garage to replace existing surface parking, which will yield 1,600 additional spaces adjacent to the terminal building (My emphasis)
Multiple roadway enhancements to increase lanes and alleviate traffic bottleneck to and from O’Hare
Expanded curbside area to enhance drop off and to help passengers more easily traverse between Terminals 1, 2, 3"

The CDA keeps releasing and then changing. Is it just me, or do we know suspiciously little about the T5 expansion -- like what it will look like inside? I sincerely hope this doesn't continue with the concourses and OGT.

The inside will look extremely nice and I don't believe it's being done on purpose by the City. The east side of the new Hardstand ramp is completed, the ramp lights are operational, tying into the current fuel system is done, although there's a smaller project that needs to be finished before the hardstands can be moved and used. Over the next week or so guard post 11 moves and basically the whole project site becomes airside.

I can't go into specifics, but people are forgetting this project has to move forward while not impacting operations. Bridge replacements, new baggage system, checkpoint upgrade, CBP makeover, additional domestics claims, temporary gates and even a 4 month busing operation. This is no small task given the increase in international operations. There's been enabling projects started already, folks on here want to know when people will see steel up and will just need patience, but it's moving along.

As for the garage, it was originally shown on the east side of the D Lot and the hotel on the west side. It's been flipped as to align the entrance into Terminal 5 to be easier.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos