User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 9896
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Welcome to Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1412055
Forum Moderator
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:07 pm

Well a new year signals new routes, and It looks like EDI is on track for a good summer with the amount of new routes announced, here is the highlights:

· Rotterdam (Transavia) - 27th February
Birmingham (easyJet) - 29 March
Catania (easyJet) - 29 March
Gibraltar (easyJet) - 31 March
Bydgoszcz (Ryanair) - 2 April
Hanover (Loganair) - 17 April
Antalya (TUI) - 2 May
Naples (TUI) - 4 May
Esbjerg (Loganair) - 7 May
London Southend (Flybe) - 15 June
Sharm-El-Sheilh (TUI) - 2 November

Thanks to SeanM1997 for collecting the data and putting it together. For frequencies I will post those myself at a later date.

Have a great new year and decade and let's hope for more good news!
 
KingB123
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:08 pm

I wonder how the Emirates flight is doing at Edinburgh as its been over a year since its service, I know that the GLA flights had taken a hit but wouldn't it have been good to just consolidate at Glasgow and Qatar stay at Edinburgh due to the A380 investment at Glasgow.

Secondly, if they did want to have 3 flights into Scotland, they should space it out so that the evening flight from Glasgow and the flight from Edinburgh are some time apart. For example, have an early morning arrival, a mid day arrival and then an evening arrival (obviously this depends on scheduling, dubai banks etc etc)
King B
 
by738
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:40 pm

KingB123 wrote:
I wonder how the Emirates flight is doing at Edinburgh as its been over a year since its service

We're still told its 'early days' but last months EK load figures posted elsewhere were far from stellar. A common figure quoted as being reasonable is around 70% loads.
EK trends will not become apparent until year on year percentage figures are quoted.
Of interest GLA service continues to gain (Last month up 1%) yet NCL had had several months of percentage reduction so it maybe NCL is being hit more.
Again we're told its not all about loads bit QR has been consistently way less than I might have anticipated and thats before yet another frequency increase. You'd like to think someone knows what they're doing.
 
User avatar
FlyRow
Posts: 815
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:02 pm

This week it was announced that the RTM flight will start earlier, first 2x weekly, then 4x weekly.
Could see this flight go daily soon as a alternative for more AMS flights. Probably will take this flight very soon, ofcourse biking to RTM instead of taking the car.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
KingB123
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:29 pm

by738 wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
I wonder how the Emirates flight is doing at Edinburgh as its been over a year since its service

We're still told its 'early days' but last months EK load figures posted elsewhere were far from stellar. A common figure quoted as being reasonable is around 70% loads.
EK trends will not become apparent until year on year percentage figures are quoted.
Of interest GLA service continues to gain (Last month up 1%) yet NCL had had several months of percentage reduction so it maybe NCL is being hit more.
Again we're told its not all about loads bit QR has been consistently way less than I might have anticipated and thats before yet another frequency increase. You'd like to think someone knows what they're doing.


Thanks for the information, it sounds like 70% isnt too bad but then again lets see what the yields of the service is like. I am definitely sure that its more inbound traffic into Edinburgh than outbound to be honest. But I am surprised that GLA is doing well. I also see the point about NCL, as i remembered seeing big adverts about the chauffeur service to NCL for premium customers from Edinburgh.

Also surprised about Qatar, I thought they would've captured the market from here but doesn't sound too promising. Someone is sure to give up soon.
King B
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:51 am

Hi there, happy new year!
Regarding LFs:
· Emirates NOV19: 66%
· Qatar NOV19: 66%

So both are steady routes at the moment. Far from stellar but not too bad.
 
xijiayu
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:40 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:25 am

I think EK must be doing OK at GLA with their A380. Their Winter 2021 schedule is still showing A380 into GLA and hopefully A380 will serve GLA year-round on EK27/28.
 
Breathe
Posts: 571
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:50 pm

KingB123 wrote:
by738 wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
Also surprised about Qatar, I thought they would've captured the market from here but doesn't sound too promising. Someone is sure to give up soon.


I guess they'll be a lot of factors such as how good a deal each airline got from the airport, cargo, premium vs economy loads etc.

From a consumer point of view it would be great to have both of them for the long term. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.
 
KingB123
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:36 pm

Breathe wrote:

I guess they'll be a lot of factors such as how good a deal each airline got from the airport, cargo, premium vs economy loads etc.

From a consumer point of view it would be great to have both of them for the long term. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.


Absolutely, benefits us as consumers. looking forward to seeing what 2020 has in store for EDI.
King B
 
natmci
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 10:27 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:51 pm

TUI SUMMER 2020

Monday morning NAP no longer showing looks like it’s been replaced with the DLM flying into NCL (EDI-DLM-NCL-DLM-EDI)

Also, Freebird DLM for TUI on a Sunday evening no longer available
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:43 pm

Was said elsewhere that a new longhaul route will be announced from EDI this week, I have heard WestJet will be the route but there is plenty of other airlines it could be too.

Any guesses?
 
by738
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 pm

....well I think its unlikely its going to be Cathay Pacific. WestJet...? A 787 to YYZ... awful big aircraft to fill.
 
EIEIDW
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:22 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:51 pm

by738 wrote:
....well I think its unlikely its going to be Cathay Pacific. WestJet...? A 787 to YYZ... awful big aircraft to fill.



Cathay Pacific!?!? No chance!
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4646
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:03 pm

by738 wrote:
....well I think its unlikely its going to be Cathay Pacific. WestJet...? A 787 to YYZ... awful big aircraft to fill.

The B763s are still on the go I think? Possibly that as an option?
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1849
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:20 pm

PlaneMad134 wrote:
Was said elsewhere that a new longhaul route will be announced from EDI this week, I have heard WestJet will be the route but there is plenty of other airlines it could be too.

Any guesses?


Where was it said?
 
KingB123
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:53 pm

lets hope its Cathay or Singapore to a USA destination through EDI (Im joking) but if it is westjet, wouldn't that hammer their Glasgow Operations?

Secondly, does anyone know when the check in hall works are going to be completed? It is such a mess and I don't know how they are going to improve the check in experience. Anyone got any info?

Also, sad news about flybe coming out. Since EDI is a hub for flybe, if it goes bust, it will have a knock on effect on the airport for sure. Will Easyjet, Ryanair or maybe even BA pick up whats left by Flybe. Current routes from flybe are: Belfast–City, Birmingham, Cardiff, Exeter, Knock, London–City, London–Heathrow, London-Southend (begins 15 June 2020),[21] Manchester, Southampton
Seasonal: Bergerac, Newquay

Also, EDI we need a good ORLANDO link! Get it sorted! Tui doesn't cut it!
King B
 
by738
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:13 pm

KingB123 wrote:
if it is westjet, wouldn't that hammer their Glasgow Operations?

When Air Canada Rouge started at GLA, made minimal difference. More likely to affect EDI ACr. Im sure they've done their homework.

KingB123 wrote:
EDI we need a good ORLANDO link! Get it sorted! Tui doesn't cut it!

Where are all these EDI Florida bound passengers that everyone (VS, TUI, TCX, Norwegian) have seen fit to ignore and miss out on this veritable bounty?
 
by738
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:15 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Where was it said?

The usual forum trawls...
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Ishrion wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:
Was said elsewhere that a new longhaul route will be announced from EDI this week, I have heard WestJet will be the route but there is plenty of other airlines it could be too.

Any guesses?


Where was it said?


The news that the announcement would be this week was from another forum.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1849
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:18 pm

PlaneMad134 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:
Was said elsewhere that a new longhaul route will be announced from EDI this week, I have heard WestJet will be the route but there is plenty of other airlines it could be too.

Any guesses?


Where was it said?


The news that the announcement would be this week was from another forum.


Can you link the forum? Is it on airliners or an external website?
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:52 pm

Ishrion wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Where was it said?


The news that the announcement would be this week was from another forum.


Can you link the forum? Is it on airliners or an external website?


External website.
 
EDIGLA18
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:06 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:07 am

Can you link it please?
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1849
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:16 am

PlaneMad134 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:

The news that the announcement would be this week was from another forum.


Can you link the forum? Is it on airliners or an external website?


External website.


Do you mind linking it?
 
KingB123
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:32 am

by738 wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
if it is westjet, wouldn't that hammer their Glasgow Operations?

When Air Canada Rouge started at GLA, made minimal difference. More likely to affect EDI ACr. Im sure they've done their homework.

KingB123 wrote:
EDI we need a good ORLANDO link! Get it sorted! Tui doesn't cut it!

Where are all these EDI Florida bound passengers that everyone (VS, TUI, TCX, Norwegian) have seen fit to ignore and miss out on this veritable bounty?



AC Rouge wont be liking competition. Lets see what happens.

Secondly, there is absolutely plenty demand between Edinburgh and Florida. Why there isn't a service that is absolutely bound to print money is another unsolved mystery. Norwegian are currently trying to save themselves, TUI are seasonal. TCX were based in Manchester and never did much flying to the states from Scotland from what I remember and at the time VS were established at Glasgow when International airlines started services (Emirates etc).
King B
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:54 am

Ishrion wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Can you link the forum? Is it on airliners or an external website?


External website.


Do you mind linking it?


To those who wanted the link I have Dmed it.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1849
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:56 am

PlaneMad134 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:

External website.


Do you mind linking it?


To those who wanted the link I have Dmed it.


I don’t think I got it? If it’s a source, just link it here so everyone can see it.
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:59 am

Here is the link: http://egphforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

You have to sign up first though.
 
digitalcloud
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:03 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:32 pm

Why is the forum such a huge secret PlaneMad? You only discovered it yourself a few months ago...
 
digitalcloud
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:03 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:39 pm

KingB123 wrote:
Secondly, there is absolutely plenty demand between Edinburgh and Florida. Why there isn't a service that is absolutely bound to print money is another unsolved mystery. Norwegian are currently trying to save themselves, TUI are seasonal. TCX were based in Manchester and never did much flying to the states from Scotland from what I remember and at the time VS were established at Glasgow when International airlines started services (Emirates etc).


You are absolutely right, Edinburgh-Orlando must be one of the biggest unserved UK-US markets. TUI is extremely seasonal, operating just four return flights per year.

However TCX did a fair amount of flights to the states from Scotland with GLA-MCO (formerly GLA-SFB) and GLA-LAS. I don't really understand your last point but Emirates launched DXB-GLA in 2004 - years before VS launched GLA-MCO.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4646
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 am

If it was a goldmine, Virgin would be flying it surely? A GLA/EDI split would have minimal additional costs, indeed the A332 would be ideal. Even YYZ is peak summer only whereas GLA has Transat year round. With TS and Rouge merging, capacity should consolidate in some form?
 
KingB123
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:29 am

digitalcloud wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
Secondly, there is absolutely plenty demand between Edinburgh and Florida. Why there isn't a service that is absolutely bound to print money is another unsolved mystery. Norwegian are currently trying to save themselves, TUI are seasonal. TCX were based in Manchester and never did much flying to the states from Scotland from what I remember and at the time VS were established at Glasgow when International airlines started services (Emirates etc).


You are absolutely right, Edinburgh-Orlando must be one of the biggest unserved UK-US markets. TUI is extremely seasonal, operating just four return flights per year.

However TCX did a fair amount of flights to the states from Scotland with GLA-MCO (formerly GLA-SFB) and GLA-LAS. I don't really understand your last point but Emirates launched DXB-GLA in 2004 - years before VS launched GLA-MCO.



Thanks for letting me know, ah what i meant was that a few years ago, Glasgow was appealing to Long Haul carriers before Edinburgh became popular but lets hope and see what this year holds.
King B
 
KingB123
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:31 am

skipness1E wrote:
If it was a goldmine, Virgin would be flying it surely? A GLA/EDI split would have minimal additional costs, indeed the A332 would be ideal. Even YYZ is peak summer only whereas GLA has Transat year round. With TS and Rouge merging, capacity should consolidate in some form?


I see where you're coming from, i cant remember if VS base an aircraft in GLA over the summer seasonal but if they could even do a W pattern from Edinburgh/Glasgow it would be cracking. I presume that because the cities are close to one another, that VS may not see the need to operate from both airports. But lets see what the future holds.

I would also like to see a year round carrier to toronto.
King B
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:13 am

KingB123 wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
If it was a goldmine, Virgin would be flying it surely? A GLA/EDI split would have minimal additional costs, indeed the A332 would be ideal. Even YYZ is peak summer only whereas GLA has Transat year round. With TS and Rouge merging, capacity should consolidate in some form?


I see where you're coming from, i cant remember if VS base an aircraft in GLA over the summer seasonal but if they could even do a W pattern from Edinburgh/Glasgow it would be cracking. I presume that because the cities are close to one another, that VS may not see the need to operate from both airports. But lets see what the future holds.

I would also like to see a year round carrier to toronto.


Well if aforementioned route to Toronto by WestJet is announced and does well, we may see that going year round with a frequency cut for the winter.
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:15 am

digitalcloud wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
Secondly, there is absolutely plenty demand between Edinburgh and Florida. Why there isn't a service that is absolutely bound to print money is another unsolved mystery. Norwegian are currently trying to save themselves, TUI are seasonal. TCX were based in Manchester and never did much flying to the states from Scotland from what I remember and at the time VS were established at Glasgow when International airlines started services (Emirates etc).


You are absolutely right, Edinburgh-Orlando must be one of the biggest unserved UK-US markets. TUI is extremely seasonal, operating just four return flights per year.

However TCX did a fair amount of flights to the states from Scotland with GLA-MCO (formerly GLA-SFB) and GLA-LAS. I don't really understand your last point but Emirates launched DXB-GLA in 2004 - years before VS launched GLA-MCO.


I'm not sure what anyone's point is here, but "international" services from Glasgow existed long before Virgin or Emirates appeared. Lest we forget the early 90's heyday of US/Canadian services or go even further back to those Icelandair or Loftleidir DC-8's or 727's from KEF. Plenty other examples too. Back to the main point, yes odd there's no Florida service ex EDI, but as others have said, GLA has traditionally serviced the sunseeker market and hopefully this isn't yet another example of EDI fan boys thinking EDI deserves all of the routes, all of the time. Scotland may be a relatively small market, but attempting to funnel everything and everyone through one overly congested provincial airfield is not going to do anyone any good in the long run.
 
Breathe
Posts: 571
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:02 pm

So what happened to that "announcement" that was meant to be happening this week. More like smoke and mirrors. :rotfl:
 
Breathe
Posts: 571
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:42 pm

Final total passenger numbers for 2019.

https://www.edinburghairport.com/about- ... ecord-year

A total of 14,747,830 people travelled through Edinburgh Airport last year, making 2019 the busiest in the airport’s history and the busiest ever year for a Scottish airport.

The numbers are up 3.1% on 2018 with growth in international passengers driving the increase.


FY 2019 % vs Last Year

Domestic 5,338,511 -0.7%

International 9,409,319 5.3%

Total 14,747,830 3.1%


The figures follow a rise in passenger numbers for December:


Dec % vs Last Year

Domestic 396,298 -8.9%

International 652,647 10.2%

Total 1,048,945 2.1%


Gordon Dewar, Chief Executive of Edinburgh Airport said:


“We’re delighted to deliver a record year for any Scottish airport as passengers continued to take advantage of new routes, new airlines and the opportunity to expand their horizons and travel the world.

“We never lose sight of the fact that the airport is a conduit to a whole host of things. We play our part in tourism, business, education, research and culture. We are that gateway to Scotland and the world, and direct connectivity to countries across the world plays a huge part in that success.

“Clearly, we want to see that success continue to benefit Edinburgh and Scotland and travel will always be a part of that, but we do have a responsibility to manage that success in a sustainable manner. We appreciate that we need to show leadership in this area and we are currently finalising a strategy which will map out our approach to operations at Edinburgh to make them even more sustainable than they already are. We look forward to sharing that strategy and engaging with our communities on it.

“Finally, I would like to thank all staff across campus who worked to make this a record year for Edinburgh Airport. We all play a part in the journey of our passengers and it is that team approach which helps us to deliver the many big days that are experienced every day.”
 
digitalcloud
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:03 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Breathe wrote:
So what happened to that "announcement" that was meant to be happening this week. More like smoke and mirrors. :rotfl:


Are you suggesting that an A.net rumour could actually turn out to be false?
 
bergkampsticket
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:24 pm

KingB123 wrote:
digitalcloud wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
Secondly, there is absolutely plenty demand between Edinburgh and Florida. Why there isn't a service that is absolutely bound to print money is another unsolved mystery. Norwegian are currently trying to save themselves, TUI are seasonal. TCX were based in Manchester and never did much flying to the states from Scotland from what I remember and at the time VS were established at Glasgow when International airlines started services (Emirates etc).


You are absolutely right, Edinburgh-Orlando must be one of the biggest unserved UK-US markets. TUI is extremely seasonal, operating just four return flights per year.

However TCX did a fair amount of flights to the states from Scotland with GLA-MCO (formerly GLA-SFB) and GLA-LAS. I don't really understand your last point but Emirates launched DXB-GLA in 2004 - years before VS launched GLA-MCO.



Thanks for letting me know, ah what i meant was that a few years ago, Glasgow was appealing to Long Haul carriers before Edinburgh became popular but lets hope and see what this year holds.

GLA wasn't appealing to LH carriers so much as BAA chose GLA for long haul routes which created an artificial market. Under the freer system they've chosen EDI for business/tourist reasons.
 
digitalcloud
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:03 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:29 pm

bergkampsticket wrote:
GLA wasn't appealing to LH carriers so much as BAA chose GLA for long haul routes which created an artificial market. Under the freer system they've chosen EDI for business/tourist reasons.


What?
 
by738
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:19 pm

intercontinental routes were in the 'west' way before BAA ever came along or any perceived manipulation (think Pan Am, Northwest, BOAC, Air Canada etc). As tourism has drifted, its not unsurprising its now focussed on EDI.
The suggestion that there should only really be one main intercontinental port , first PIK, then GLA, now EDI is not unreasonable for a country of this size, population and tourism flow. Wont be the last change in coming decades. Perhaps the one central Scotland airport will come to pass when facilities elsewhere become even more unbearable.
 
sandyb123
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:59 pm

by738 wrote:
intercontinental routes were in the 'west' way before BAA ever came along or any perceived manipulation (think Pan Am, Northwest, BOAC, Air Canada etc). As tourism has drifted, its not unsurprising its now focussed on EDI.
The suggestion that there should only really be one main intercontinental port , first PIK, then GLA, now EDI is not unreasonable for a country of this size, population and tourism flow. Wont be the last change in coming decades. Perhaps the one central Scotland airport will come to pass when facilities elsewhere become even more unbearable.


PIK? Really? The airport is basically mothballed and it would have closed to pax service years ago if it wasn’t for the Shambolic government bail out. Unless you live in Ayrshire it’s not convenient.

At the end of the day EDI is the business and tourism airport because that’s where 99% of big business and tourism happens in Scotland. GLA is the outbound leisure airport because it has the bigger population scope.

Agree 100% that a central Scotland airport with proper transport connections to the main cities is the way forward, but in a deregulated world it won’t happen mostly because GIP & AGS would be all over it with lawyers.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club
 
Bhoy
Posts: 458
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:50 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:10 am

sandyb123 wrote:
by738 wrote:
intercontinental routes were in the 'west' way before BAA ever came along or any perceived manipulation (think Pan Am, Northwest, BOAC, Air Canada etc). As tourism has drifted, its not unsurprising its now focussed on EDI.
The suggestion that there should only really be one main intercontinental port , first PIK, then GLA, now EDI is not unreasonable for a country of this size, population and tourism flow. Wont be the last change in coming decades. Perhaps the one central Scotland airport will come to pass when facilities elsewhere become even more unbearable.


PIK? Really? The airport is basically mothballed and it would have closed to pax service years ago if it wasn’t for the Shambolic government bail out. Unless you live in Ayrshire it’s not convenient.

At the end of the day EDI is the business and tourism airport because that’s where 99% of big business and tourism happens in Scotland. GLA is the outbound leisure airport because it has the bigger population scope.

Agree 100% that a central Scotland airport with proper transport connections to the main cities is the way forward, but in a deregulated world it won’t happen mostly because GIP & AGS would be all over it with lawyers.

Sandyb123

He’s right, though - PIK was the sole Longhaul airport, that mantle then moved to GLA after deregulation, now EDI has more longhaul routes. At no point was PIK being unmothballed promoted.

PS, Prestwick isn’t that inconvenient outside Ayrshire if you’re on the West Coast, and can access it via Train.
 
Breathe
Posts: 571
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:37 pm

digitalcloud wrote:
Breathe wrote:
So what happened to that "announcement" that was meant to be happening this week. More like smoke and mirrors. :rotfl:


Are you suggesting that an A.net rumour could actually turn out to be false?

Perish the thought! :D
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:08 pm

According to the Aer Lingus website it seems they will be nightstopping/basing an aircraft at EDI for S20.

They will be basing/nightstopping an ATR72 from Mon-Fri.

Here is the Mon-Thu schedule (thanks to another poster on egph. com for the schedule)
0625 EDI 0755 DUB
0835 DUB 0955 EDI
1025 EDI 1205 ORK
1235 ORK 1410 EDI
1440 EDI 1615 SNN
1655 SNN 1830 EDI

And on a Friday it postions to Cork for the weekend:
EDI-DUB-EDI-ORK-EDI-ORK

Then returns on Sunday:
ORK-EDI-DUB-EDI-SNN-EDI

Does any other airport have an Aer Lingus based plane (apart from DUB, SNN and ORK)?

Also if I have missed anything please tell me :)
 
Bhoy
Posts: 458
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:50 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:41 pm

PlaneMad134 wrote:
Does any other airport have an Aer Lingus based plane (apart from DUB, SNN and ORK)?

Heathrow.
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:00 am

Bhoy wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:
Does any other airport have an Aer Lingus based plane (apart from DUB, SNN and ORK)?

Heathrow.


Ah ok, So that means EDI will be their 2nd UK base.
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:10 am

Belfast....technically UK
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:14 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
Belfast....technically UK


Not even 'technically'. Belfast is very much still part of "The UK". And does nightstopping actually count as "based" ?
 
Bhoy
Posts: 458
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:50 pm

Re: Edinburgh Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:28 am

PlaneMad134 wrote:
Bhoy wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:
Does any other airport have an Aer Lingus based plane (apart from DUB, SNN and ORK)?

Heathrow.


Ah ok, So that means EDI will be their 2nd UK base.

It's not even an Aer Lingus plane, it's a Stobart plane with EI Regional titles...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos