Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
757SanCam
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Regarding service to DCA/IAD, it still surprises me with all the militrary here and government in DC, that airlines can't find enough demand to warrant a flight to DCA, though I would still stay with UA.

As a UA ff, I don't mind IAD, I believe there are 3-4 non stops a day, and sometimes it's a 757 with lie flat in the front. The lie flat comes in handy this time of year with the jet stream sometimes making a west bound flight 6+ hours. I just had one of those from Newark last month, and upgraded, well worth it!
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:35 pm

757SanCam wrote:
Regarding service to DCA/IAD, it still surprises me with all the militrary here and government in DC, that airlines can't find enough demand to warrant a flight to DCA, though I would still stay with UA.

As a UA ff, I don't mind IAD, I believe there are 3-4 non stops a day, and sometimes it's a 757 with lie flat in the front. The lie flat comes in handy this time of year with the jet stream sometimes making a west bound flight 6+ hours. I just had one of those from Newark last month, and upgraded, well worth it!


They can, and they have - USAirways flew this route in 2013. The problem is the gravity black hole that is LAX, that is giving the airlines even higher yields than SAN. This, despite the insane amount of government and military traffic flowing between the two cities.

The insanity that 80%+ of America can fly into DCA non-stop but a small portion cannot because of archane and mind-numbingly stupid & outdated rule based on "larger-planes-make-more-noise" concept is painful. The fact that there are "exemptions" at all means that the rule is not being followed as intended, so it needs to go, and slots at DCA need to be used for the highest-premium traffic, and other cities can use BWI and IAD.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:31 pm

757SanCam wrote:
Regarding service to DCA/IAD, it still surprises me with all the military here and government in DC, that airlines can't find enough demand to warrant a flight to DCA, though I would still stay with UA.

As stated upthread, AA, DL, & UA could fly the route but use their slots elsewhere. UA would obviously rather use their one "moveable" DCA-slot from their major west coast hub at SFO. I can certainly understand that. And AA and DL have chosen to use their 3 slots (total) from LA, an unquestionably larger market than SAN. (But remember that AS also serves the LAX-DCA market once daily with a "non-moveable" slot; therefore, that market actually has 4 daily nonstops!) That still leaves SAN with nothing.

I will say that UA has never been a big player in the desire to serve SAN-DCA so if you want to fly UA between SAN and WAS you will undoubtedly need to continue to stop and or change planes in SFO, DEN or ORD on the way to DCA, or fly one of the nonstops to Dulles.

bb
 
User avatar
Scooter
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 1999 12:18 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:01 pm

SANMAN66 wrote:

About an hour after I posted this, I saw the JL flight from NRT pass overhead. I don't know what the yields are like due to the coronavirus.


I took that flight a couple weeks ago. Load factor was about 50% on the way to NRT, but I don't know what it was like on the return since I flew another airline home. I'll be posting the video for that JAL flight on my YouTube channel next Tuesday BTW - a fantastic experience it was!
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing obnoxiously-detailed trip reports.
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3469
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:03 pm

 
jspurg15
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:53 pm

Scooter wrote:
SANMAN66 wrote:

About an hour after I posted this, I saw the JL flight from NRT pass overhead. I don't know what the yields are like due to the coronavirus.


I took that flight a couple weeks ago. Load factor was about 50% on the way to NRT, but I don't know what it was like on the return since I flew another airline home. I'll be posting the video for that JAL flight on my YouTube channel next Tuesday BTW - a fantastic experience it was!


Omg Scott!! Whats up?
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Scooter wrote:
I took that flight a couple weeks ago. Load factor was about 50% on the way to NRT, but I don't know what it was like on the return since I flew another airline home. I'll be posting the video for that JAL flight on my YouTube channel next Tuesday BTW - a fantastic experience it was!

That's awful to hear Scoot'. The only thing I can add is that according to the SAN monthly Pax Traffic Reports lately, JL is apparently flying major cargo into and out of SAN currently and has been doing so for several months.

So maybe the flight will continue un-trimmed despite low pax LF simply due to cargo loads staying healthy, or even increasing! (Fewer pax = more weight allowance for freight?) It also sounds like we're lucky that JL has continued using the 788 on the route rather than an even larger capacity aircraft.

(Speaking of JL's dramatically increased cargo hauling, I do wonder if they are now running a lot more LAX freight thru SAN, or if this is truly increased local demand? Whatever the reason, I am glad to see it; anything that continues bringing intercontinental flights to our little airport is a good thing!)

I'm obviously very sorry to see LH's route suspended but I can't say I'm really surprised. It's way too early to tell but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if we don't see Edelweiss this summer.... Note: I just read the LH-suspension article linked upthread, and it should be noted that all US service except that to the 3 or 4 largest cities has been suspended so it's not just SAN.

bb
 
User avatar
Coronado990
Posts: 1497
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:12 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:27 am

Hey, since when did the FedEx flight to TIJ become a tag-on to/from SAN? They are now flying a 757 both ways between the two airports! I can see the entire flight from my house. This is really cool. I hope it sticks.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX ... /KSAN/MMTJ

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX ... /MMTJ/KSAN
Cornucopia
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 969
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:12 am

SANFan wrote:
I'm obviously very sorry to see LH's route suspended but I can't say I'm really surprised. It's way too early to tell but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if we don't see Edelweiss this summer.... Note: I just read the LH-suspension article linked upthread, and it should be noted that all US service except that to the 3 or 4 largest cities has been suspended so it's not just SAN.

bb

The President stated this morning that all flights to and from Europe has been suspended except for U.K. flights. Hopefully BA will keep gracing our skies until this scare is over. In other news, Edelweiss is scheduled to resume on July-1. Hopefully the travel ban to Europe will be lifted by then.
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 969
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:12 am

I just heard that an AA pilot based in DFW just tested positive for coronavirus.
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 969
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:35 am

Coronado990 wrote:
Hey, since when did the FedEx flight to TIJ become a tag-on to/from SAN? They are now flying a 757 both ways between the two airports! I can see the entire flight from my house. This is really cool.


Is it daily? That's kind of weird to fly 8 miles from TIJ and stop in SAN! I can see if the TIJ flight stopped in ONT, but SAN?
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
User avatar
Coronado990
Posts: 1497
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:12 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:58 am

SANMAN66 wrote:
Coronado990 wrote:
Hey, since when did the FedEx flight to TIJ become a tag-on to/from SAN? They are now flying a 757 both ways between the two airports! I can see the entire flight from my house. This is really cool.


Is it daily? That's kind of weird to fly 8 miles from TIJ and stop in SAN! I can see if the TIJ flight stopped in ONT, but SAN?


According to Flightaware, it started March 1st and operates 5 days a week on TUE, WED, THUR, FRI and SUN from SAN-TIJ. The return trips are MON-FRI.
Cornucopia
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 969
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
According to Flightaware, it started March 1st and operates 5 days a week on TUE, WED, THUR, FRI and SUN from SAN-TIJ. The return trips are MON-FRI.
You're right. ONT does make more sense.


Maybe it has something to do with the coronavirus? Maybe they're transporting medication between SAN and TIJ? It just seems like such a waste of fuel to travel such a short distance. TIJ to SAN by plane would take about what? 5min? In fact, you can see the planes on final approach into SAN from TIJ!
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
vedatil4
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:25 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
Coronado990 wrote:
SANMAN66 wrote:

Is it daily? That's kind of weird to fly 8 miles from TIJ and stop in SAN! I can see if the TIJ flight stopped in ONT, but SAN?


According to Flightaware, it started March 1st and operates 5 days a week on TUE, WED, THUR, FRI and SUN from SAN-TIJ. The return trips are MON-FRI.
You're right. ONT does make more sense.


There must be some interesting financial reasons justifying such a short flight for a 757. Could there ever be this kind hop add-on for a non-cargo flight with or without passengers?
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 2150
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
Hey, since when did the FedEx flight to TIJ become a tag-on to/from SAN? They are now flying a 757 both ways between the two airports! I can see the entire flight from my house. This is really cool. I hope it sticks.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX ... /KSAN/MMTJ

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX ... /MMTJ/KSAN


Damn. That’s a lot of gas for what? 10 miles?
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Great Circle Mapper lists the distance as 18 miles but that's still awfully short; given border traffic -- which might be even worse than usual these days -- it might be worth it. Depends on what they're carrying I guess.

Of course they might not be carrying anything local; just tagging TIJ on rather than giving them their own plane. But then as said up-thread, ONT -- or any other number of airports -- would seem to make more sense.

bb
 
AZTECFAN
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:28 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 pm

I received a call on Tuesday night at 10:45 that the ILS system on runway 9 wasn't working and some flights may need to be diverted. Does anyone know if flights were diverted or not?
 
timf
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:36 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:31 pm

AZTECFAN wrote:
I received a call on Tuesday night at 10:45 that the ILS system on runway 9 wasn't working and some flights may need to be diverted. Does anyone know if flights were diverted or not?

It looks like something was amiss, but ultimately they landed planes on runway 27. I base this off one flight that would have been scheduled to arrive about this time.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... n#242508c1

It appears they were originally planning to use runway 9, but never made it into the final landing pattern before going around and trying for runway 27. There might have still been some uncertainty as they never descended on the second approach and instead went around again, finally landing normally on runway 27.
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3469
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:33 pm

SANMAN66 wrote:
The President stated this morning that all flights to and from Europe has been suspended except for U.K. flights. Hopefully BA will keep gracing our skies until this scare is over. In other news, Edelweiss is scheduled to resume on July-1. Hopefully the travel ban to Europe will be lifted by then.


What the President said does not reflect the policy he signed. The restrictions are basically the same as what was imposed on China: Persons who are not US citizens or residents who have been within the Schengen Area within the past 14 days will not be permitted entry into the US. There is no ban on the flights themselves, though the restrictions do cause significant demand changes which are causing airlines to drastically reduce the flights between the US and Europe. And there is no travel ban to Europe, US citizens are still free to go there and come back.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/hom ... oclamation
 
User avatar
PacoMartin
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:47 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
The restrictions are basically the same as what was imposed on China: Persons who are not US citizens or residents who have been within the Schengen Area within the past 14 days will not be permitted entry into the US.


If someone purchases a ticket to Toronto from Schengen Area on a European airline, and then a separate ticket to the US (or rent a car), how will people know?
Air France Paris–Charles de Gaulle
KLM Amsterdam
Lufthansa Frankfurt Seasonal: Munich
Icelandair Reykjavík–Keflavík
LOT Polish Airlines Warsaw–Chopin
TAP Air Portugal Lisbon
Alitalia Seasonal: Rome–Fiumicino
Condor Seasonal: Frankfurt

I am assuming that Canadian airlines will not be able to sell connecting tickets without it being obvious.
 
User avatar
PacoMartin
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:03 am

rjsampson wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Instead of Miramar, can a Temecula airport serve as a reliever airport for SAN, with some international flights moving there? Temecula isn’t that far and traffic on the 15 isn’t as bad.
A new airport will not be built for commercial or any other purpose in Temecula. Perhaps you're referring to French Valley Airport in Murietta?


It was one of the sites considered in 2004-2006

SAN DIEGO COUNTY REGIONAL AIRPORT AUTHORITY AIRPORT SITE SELECTION PROGRAM DECISION DOCUMENT
May 2006

French Valley/Temecula
Distance: 60 miles east Distance: 60 miles north This site is a Riverside County airport, located off Highway 79, approximately three miles northeast of the I-15 and I-215 junction. The site is in a residential area and the population to be displaced was deemed extraordinary. March Air Reserve Base was deemed a potential alternative.
ASSP (Airport Site Selection Program) did not add this site due to extraordinary environmental issues.
Initial Screening eliminated this site due to extraordinary human costs.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:15 am

That neighborhood east of CLD should never have been allowed to be built.
 
757SanCam
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:01 pm

With the UK and Ireland just added to restrictions of people traveling across the pond, add that SAN is not one of the 13 airports listed to accept flights from Europe for screening of COVID19, wonder when BA and Lufthansa will pull the plug on their flights to SAN temporarily?
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:18 pm

757SanCam wrote:
With the UK and Ireland just added to restrictions of people traveling across the pond, add that SAN is not one of the 13 airports listed to accept flights from Europe for screening of COVID19, wonder when BA and Lufthansa will pull the plug on their flights to SAN temporarily?

They can add a fuel stop in PHL or BOS and continue flying to SAN as a domestic leg.
 
cheapflier
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:21 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:13 am

757SanCam wrote:
With the UK and Ireland just added to restrictions of people traveling across the pond, add that SAN is not one of the 13 airports listed to accept flights from Europe for screening of COVID19, wonder when BA and Lufthansa will pull the plug on their flights to SAN temporarily?

BA is suspending flights between LHR-SAN. The last flight is 3/15 and it is scheduled to resume 4/17.
LH is suspended through 3/23 for now.
JL is suspending SAN-NRT 3/29-4/13.
Also looks like AA suspended SAN-JFK through 6/4 (instead of April).
Last edited by cheapflier on Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 969
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:13 am

757SanCam wrote:
wonder when BA and Lufthansa will pull the plug on their flights to SAN temporarily?


The Lufthansa flight from FRA has already been suspended, but the BA flight, and the JL flight are
still operating.
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
irelayer
Posts: 1128
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:34 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:53 am

Anyone see this UA 772?

https://fr24.com/UAL2572/242fb3ce

Just flew over my house. Originated from MCAS Cherry Point. Marine charter I assume?

Lots of surprises these days...I noticed that flight from TIJ yesterday, a 727(!) headed to Oakland County (MI) yesterday, and I noticed DL has upgauged the early morning ATL-SAN flight to a A333
 
cheapflier
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:21 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:40 am

If we're still tracking other suspensions...here are some others for April through the beginning of May
AA
SAN-CLT red-eye suspended 4/7-5/6
SAN-ORD red-eye suspended 4/7-5/6
SAN-LAX up to two daily flights dropped
SAN-PHX up to three daily flights dropped

DL
SAN-ATL up to two daily flights dropped
SAN-DTW up to two daily flights dropped (including red-eye 4/1-5/3)
SAN-MSP one daily dropped

UA
SAN-DEN one daily dropped
SAN-SFO one daily dropped
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:33 pm

Now that the Sunday OAG thread is out, I'm trying to check for other scheduled reductions, including WN, but their site appears to be down now.

bb
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:46 am

Which airline do the Padres use?
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:49 am

irelayer wrote:
Anyone see this UA 772?

https://fr24.com/UAL2572/242fb3ce

Just flew over my house. Originated from MCAS Cherry Point. Marine charter I assume?

Lots of surprises these days...I noticed that flight from TIJ yesterday, a 727(!) headed to Oakland County (MI) yesterday, and I noticed DL has upgauged the early morning ATL-SAN flight to a A333

I noticed DL parked their A333 at one of the international gates. Is this normal when operating A333s?
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3469
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:28 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
I noticed DL parked their A333 at one of the international gates. Is this normal when operating A333s?


I believe so. I think most of the widebody-capable gates are also connected to FIS. When I've flown Hawaiian's A330 we've used gates 50 or 51. And when I flew a Delta 767 ATL-SAN, we arrived at 51.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:46 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
I noticed DL parked their A333 at one of the international gates. Is this normal when operating A333s?


I believe so. I think most of the widebody-capable gates are also connected to FIS. When I've flown Hawaiian's A330 we've used gates 50 or 51. And when I flew a Delta 767 ATL-SAN, we arrived at 51.


Yes, gates 48-51 are "swing" gates, meaning depending on "how the doors are locked", these gates can be used for both domestic or international flights.

In the case of an international arrival, passengers would exit the aircraft, but instead of exiting directly into the terminal, they are re-directed to the escalators up to the FIS facility, and departing passengers would have already proceeded to the directed international departure waiting area. When their time came, they would proceed down the escalators directly to the door to board the plane. Once that flight is gone, the FIS route doors would be locked, and the gate would return to domestic use.

All of these gates are wide-body capable, and since Delta is the most likely to schedule a widebody flight to SAN on a regular basis, I would guess this is why DL shares this area with Hawaiian and their A330.

As of today, Thursday March 19, 2020, it appears as though SAN is still replacing jetbridges, as gates 46 & 47 appear closed off as we know the others have been. These are also swing gates; however, with the obvious downturn in international traffic, this is the perfect time for them to be upgraded.
 
757SanCam
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:00 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Which airline do the Padres use?

Padres use Delta charter service, these are aircraft operated by Delta crew, aircraft is all 1st class seating, it's not used for regular passenger service.
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3469
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:39 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
In the case of an international arrival, passengers would exit the aircraft, but instead of exiting directly into the terminal, they are re-directed to the escalators up to the FIS facility, and departing passengers would have already proceeded to the directed international departure waiting area. When their time came, they would proceed down the escalators directly to the door to board the plane. Once that flight is gone, the FIS route doors would be locked, and the gate would return to domestic use.


Your description of the international arrival flow is correct. Passengers go upstairs and walk around a big empty area that I presume was originally intended to house the immigration (passport control) desks. There are also restrooms in this area. But since SAN implemented a different passenger flow, passengers just continue back down the escalators to the ground level where baggage claim and the Global Entry kiosks are located. Once passengers have claimed checked bags they proceed to the desks where an officer performs both customs and immigration functions.

As the US does not have any form of exit passport controls there is no separate international departure area. International departures use the same waiting areas in Terminal 2 as domestic passengers.

Hawaiian being collocated with Delta may also be an artifact of that they used to be handled by Delta. By 2002 they were but prior to that they were handled by Northwest, with the check in counter next to Northwest in T2 East and used Gate 22 (yes, they could fit a DC-10 in the corner). When they switched to Delta they moved to T2 West and stated parking at the half-rotunda at the end of T2 West before the Geeen Build created the western half of the concourse.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:00 am

hawaiian717 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
In the case of an international arrival, passengers would exit the aircraft, but instead of exiting directly into the terminal, they are re-directed to the escalators up to the FIS facility, and departing passengers would have already proceeded to the directed international departure waiting area. When their time came, they would proceed down the escalators directly to the door to board the plane. Once that flight is gone, the FIS route doors would be locked, and the gate would return to domestic use.


Your description of the international arrival flow is correct. Passengers go upstairs and walk around a big empty area that I presume was originally intended to house the immigration (passport control) desks. There are also restrooms in this area. But since SAN implemented a different passenger flow, passengers just continue back down the escalators to the ground level where baggage claim and the Global Entry kiosks are located. Once passengers have claimed checked bags they proceed to the desks where an officer performs both customs and immigration functions.

As the US does not have any form of exit passport controls there is no separate international departure area. International departures use the same waiting areas in Terminal 2 as domestic passengers.

Hawaiian being collocated with Delta may also be an artifact of that they used to be handled by Delta. By 2002 they were but prior to that they were handled by Northwest, with the check in counter next to Northwest in T2 East and used Gate 22 (yes, they could fit a DC-10 in the corner). When they switched to Delta they moved to T2 West and stated parking at the half-rotunda at the end of T2 West before the Geeen Build created the western half of the concourse.

I wonder if a MD-11 could fit into Gate 22.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 am

I see on RoutesOnline that AA is starting SAN-DFW with 321Neos on June 4 -- I guess that's new, and who knows if it will actually happen? -- but it also mentions that a 2nd route out of SAN will see the Neo -- SAN-LAX!!!

Just thought I'd mention it as that has to be by far the largest a/c in the SAN-LAX market these days! Interesting... and hope it all happens as scheduled.

bb
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:27 am

SANFan wrote:
I see on RoutesOnline that AA is starting SAN-DFW with 321Neos on June 4 -- I guess that's new, and who knows if it will actually happen? -- but it also mentions that a 2nd route out of SAN will see the Neo -- SAN-LAX!!!

Just thought I'd mention it as that has to be by far the largest a/c in the SAN-LAX market these days! Interesting... and hope it all happens as scheduled.

bb

I prefer the Saab 340. More economical.
 
Yahnih
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:07 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:34 am

757SanCam wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Which airline do the Padres use?

Padres use Delta charter service, these are aircraft operated by Delta crew, aircraft is all 1st class seating, it's not used for regular passenger service.


The whole aircraft is equipped with delta one?
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26213
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:44 am

Yahnih wrote:
757SanCam wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Which airline do the Padres use?

Padres use Delta charter service, these are aircraft operated by Delta crew, aircraft is all 1st class seating, it's not used for regular passenger service.


The whole aircraft is equipped with delta one?


No. But Delta does have some mainline jets with all-domestic F seats for sports charters.
a.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:05 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Yahnih wrote:
757SanCam wrote:
Padres use Delta charter service, these are aircraft operated by Delta crew, aircraft is all 1st class seating, it's not used for regular passenger service.


The whole aircraft is equipped with delta one?


No. But Delta does have some mainline jets with all-domestic F seats for sports charters.

How much range do these aircraft have?
 
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:21 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
Your description of the international arrival flow is correct. Passengers go upstairs and walk around a big empty area that I presume was originally intended to house the immigration (passport control) desks. There are also restrooms in this area. But since SAN implemented a different passenger flow, passengers just continue back down the escalators to the ground level where baggage claim and the Global Entry kiosks are located. Once passengers have claimed checked bags they proceed to the desks where an officer performs both customs and immigration functions.


Thank you for the update! Ironically enough, despite my so-called "SAN credentials", I have never utilized my own beloved airport's new international facilities. My one and only arrival to SAN internationally was July 2, 2017, on Edelweiss Air, in the final days of that facility's use.

As the US does not have any form of exit passport controls there is no separate international departure area. International departures use the same waiting areas in Terminal 2 as domestic passengers.


Again, thank you - this one I should have known, but my experiences for international flights are all almost entirely from LAX International Terminal (TBIT), with Mexicana in 1998 and Lufthansa in 2017. No international departures yet from SAN!

Question for those in the know, as it relates here: at HNL airport: In 2009, I flew HA SAN-HNL-ITO, and the return flight to SAN ended up departing from Gate 25. This particular gate at HNL, unlike all the others, was not "open-air" - in fact, not only was this an enclosed room, but to enter the waiting area one had to show the boarding pass! Then behind us, the sliding doors closed, and we waited there until our flight boarded. For domestic flights, why would this have been necessary? And for an international flight, why would this have been necessary? SAN had the same kind of set-up at Gate 21, just upon entry passed security for T2E.

But back to my rambling: with all this talk of the international facilities at SAN, it is ironic that my next "dreaming-of-but-on-hold" trip to Europe will, again, start at LAX, solely to fly on an A380. Assuming there are any flying to Europe after this quarantine is over - who knows? However, my trips always end with a return into SAN, as the going portion of the trip is when we're most excited, so a train trip to Union Station and the FlyAway bus adds to the fun - but when the trip is over, it's wonderful to see Balboa Park upon landing, and realize that I will be home within an hour. And given what planes we will probably never see at SAN, like the A380 or A350, I might not ever in my lifetime depart internationally from SAN!!

Hawaiian being collocated with Delta may also be an artifact of that they used to be handled by Delta. By 2002 they were but prior to that they were handled by Northwest, with the check in counter next to Northwest in T2 East and used Gate 22 (yes, they could fit a DC-10 in the corner). When they switched to Delta they moved to T2 West and stated parking at the half-rotunda at the end of T2 West before the Geeen Build created the western half of the concourse.


Again, outstanding research and knowledge! I do remember seeing Hawaiian DC-10's at T2E, but it seems I might have seen Hawaiian utilizing Gate 21 and/or Gate 24 (each on the opposite side of Gate 22). Is this a true statement?

And might there be a definitive list somewhere of what gates have/can park a wide-body? I know most wide-body service is going to be international; however, Delta has never NOT had something rotating to/from ATL at some point, and in the glory days of domestic wide-bodies, SAN got its share.
 
757SanCam
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:52 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Yahnih wrote:


How much range do these aircraft have?


I work Padres telecasts, so have knowledge on this though I don't fly charters myself. Whether Airbus or Boeing, both can easily fly cross country no problem. Not sure on particular aircraft model, but not carrying weight that a full passenger aircraft would have say from New York to San Diego. The only complaint is no seat back screens, and Wifi is not live streaming capable. They used to fly UA charters and liked the seat back tv's however, aircraft was normal configuration, not F throughout cabin. Most (traveling media) usually load up their tablets, computers with shows to watch when flying cross country.
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3469
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:19 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Thank you for the update! Ironically enough, despite my so-called "SAN credentials", I have never utilized my own beloved airport's new international facilities. My one and only arrival to SAN internationally was July 2, 2017, on Edelweiss Air, in the final days of that facility's use.


I only used the old facility once, coming in on BA in 2017. I was near the back of the plane (777-300ER) and so the line was stretching into the hallway and I didn't see right away that it was just for the immigration desks and there was a separate area for the Global Entry kiosks.

I used the new one twice last year, both times also on BA.

As the US does not have any form of exit passport controls there is no separate international departure area. International departures use the same waiting areas in Terminal 2 as domestic passengers.


PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Again, thank you - this one I should have known, but my experiences for international flights are all almost entirely from LAX International Terminal (TBIT), with Mexicana in 1998 and Lufthansa in 2017.


TBIT hosts domestic departures as well, and especially now that its connected by walkway to T4 and shuttle bus to T2 and T3, it's not difficult for passengers in other terminals to use TBIT facilities. Other terminals at LAX also handle international departures; T2 (the one time home of Pan Am) for many years hosted a number of international carriers and I've done international departures from T4 (American) and T7 (United) as well as TBIT (EVA Air, China Airlines, Lufthansa, KLM, Mexicana).

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Question for those in the know, as it relates here: at HNL airport: In 2009, I flew HA SAN-HNL-ITO, and the return flight to SAN ended up departing from Gate 25. This particular gate at HNL, unlike all the others, was not "open-air" - in fact, not only was this an enclosed room, but to enter the waiting area one had to show the boarding pass! Then behind us, the sliding doors closed, and we waited there until our flight boarded. For domestic flights, why would this have been necessary? And for an international flight, why would this have been necessary? SAN had the same kind of set-up at Gate 21, just upon entry passed security for T2E.


Gate 25 (now gate D2) is one of four gates not in one of the three concourses. There was a period where HNL required a boarding pass check prior to entering an individual gate area, though after a while it wasn't being strictly enforced especially for domestic flights. I've also seen signs that these gate areas are closed until arriving international passengers have cleared the area. I wonder if it has something to do with how these gates are connected to the FIS.

I've only taken an international flight from HNL once, and that was interesting too. Boarding passes were being checked at the entrance to the Eva (now C) concourse; this was a late night departure and the concourse seemed to be used for a little Canada-Australia/New Zealand connecting bank. I know my Air Canada flight to YVR had many passengers connecting from Air New Zealand. This was 1999 and I kinda suspect now that this setup was to allow sterile international transit.

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Again, outstanding research and knowledge! I do remember seeing Hawaiian DC-10's at T2E, but it seems I might have seen Hawaiian utilizing Gate 21 and/or Gate 24 (each on the opposite side of Gate 22). Is this a true statement?


I don't know, this is all based on my first hand experience. I only recall ever using 22 when I flew Hawaiian from SAN when they were in T2 West, both on the DC-10 and 767.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:22 am

757SanCam wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:


I work Padres telecasts, so have knowledge on this though I don't fly charters myself. Whether Airbus or Boeing, both can easily fly cross country no problem. Not sure on particular aircraft model, but not carrying weight that a full passenger aircraft would have say from New York to San Diego. The only complaint is no seat back screens, and Wifi is not live streaming capable. They used to fly UA charters and liked the seat back tv's however, aircraft was normal configuration, not F throughout cabin. Most (traveling media) usually load up their tablets, computers with shows to watch when flying cross country.

I would rather have an F seat than a seat back TV.
 
drmlnr1
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:24 am

Scooter wrote:
SANMAN66 wrote:

About an hour after I posted this, I saw the JL flight from NRT pass overhead. I don't know what the yields are like due to the coronavirus.


I took that flight a couple weeks ago. Load factor was about 50% on the way to NRT, but I don't know what it was like on the return since I flew another airline home. I'll be posting the video for that JAL flight on my YouTube channel next Tuesday BTW - a fantastic experience it was!


Big fan of the channel btw. What was the flying time?
Flying is relaxing!
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:59 am

HA is now cancelling both SAN flights/routes effective on or just after Thursday, March 26. The suspension, at this time, is thru the end of March; HA will offer only a single r/t HNL-LAX and a weekly HNL-PPG service thru the end of March. I'd bet this schedule will last a lot longer than the end of March... Here's the link:

https://newsroom.hawaiianairlines.com/r ... tine-order

bb
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26213
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:16 am

SANFan wrote:
HA is now cancelling both SAN flights/routes effective on or just after Thursday, March 26. The suspension, at this time, is thru the end of March; HA will offer only a single r/t HNL-LAX and a weekly HNL-PPG service thru the end of March. I'd bet this schedule will last a lot longer than the end of March... Here's the link:

https://newsroom.hawaiianairlines.com/r ... tine-order

bb


It’s through May 19th for all mainland routes except LAXHNL.
a.
 
cheapflier
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:21 am

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:56 am

MAH4546 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
HA is now cancelling both SAN flights/routes effective on or just after Thursday, March 26. The suspension, at this time, is thru the end of March; HA will offer only a single r/t HNL-LAX and a weekly HNL-PPG service thru the end of March. I'd bet this schedule will last a lot longer than the end of March... Here's the link:

https://newsroom.hawaiianairlines.com/r ... tine-order

bb

It’s through May 19th for all mainland routes except LAXHNL.

Add Southwest to the list. It cancelled HNL and OGG "indefinitely," which now leaves Alaska as the only one serving Hawaii non-stop. I wouldn't hold my breath on that lasting much longer given Hawaii's new quarantine rules. AS has already cancelled service to HNL for a week starting 4/1. OGG, LIH and KOA are out for all of April.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos