Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ajlombardi2

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 5:19 am

the thunderbirds are doin flyovers of several local SD hospitals friday. anyone know where to find the flight path? if they go in the order listed in the article, potentially some cool shots between scripps torrey pines (green) and scripps encinitas along the beach??

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus ... -on-friday

cheapflier

Thu May 14, 2020 9:28 pm

ajlombardi2 wrote:
the thunderbirds are doin flyovers of several local SD hospitals friday. anyone know where to find the flight path? if they go in the order listed in the article, potentially some cool shots between scripps torrey pines (green) and scripps encinitas along the beach??

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus ... -on-friday

Here is the flight path they're expected to use.

EDIT: I guess I can't attach images, so here's the link: https://twitter.com/AFThunderbirds/stat ... 2491116544

Devilfish

Thu May 21, 2020 3:18 am

Devilfish wrote:
And given the current crisis, that PR wish is fading faster further by the day.

It seems the situation is getting more dire as time passes..... :scared:

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... -loss-2019

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... -more-half

.....that MIA beat SAN in landing a PR plane first..... :ill:

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

Coronado990

Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 pm

Devilfish wrote:
Devilfish wrote:
And given the current crisis, that PR wish is fading faster further by the day.

It seems the situation is getting more dire as time passes..... :scared:

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... -loss-2019

https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/ ... -more-half

.....that MIA beat SAN in landing a PR plane first..... :ill:

All of us in SAN just thought it was a logical move since over 200,000 Filipinos live in our community...one of the largest in the U.S. Anyway, I've seen PAL land at SAN before, just never a scheduled flight. I guess SAN is not prestigious enough for PAL and is just part of L.A. to them..
Cornucopia

VCVSpotter

Thu May 21, 2020 2:29 pm

Looks like the Swift Air 737-800 (N820TJ) that passed through VCV the other day lost (a small) part of its tail in flight on the VCV-SAN leg. :shock:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAbkRsnhQNo/?hl=en
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell BA/KL 744s

SANFan

Thu May 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Devilfish wrote:
And given the current crisis, that PR wish is fading faster further by the day. It seems the situation is getting more dire as time passes.....

Coronado990 wrote:
All of us in SAN just thought it was a logical move since over 200,000 Filipinos live in our community...one of the largest in the U.S. Anyway, I've seen PAL land at SAN before, just never a scheduled flight. I guess SAN is not prestigious enough for PAL and is just part of L.A. to them..

Yup, after the last rejection of SAN by PR earlier this year or late last year using the reasoning exactly as you stated, Coronado', "San Diego is just a suburb of LA and can easily be handled by our LA flights" (an attitude thankfully not shared by, oh, for example, BA, JL or LH), I've officially given up on ever seeing the Sunburst as a regular visitor at SDIA. I think it's a shame and may well be eventually regretted by the management at PAL.

That being said, I wish the airline the best in making it through the current (and future) crises. (I will be very curious to see how they do in SEA, should that route ever begin.)

Devil', I hope you will continue to drop by our thread from time to time; your thoughts are always welcome here!

bb

SANMAN66

Fri May 22, 2020 3:19 am

SANFan wrote:
I've officially given up on ever seeing the Sunburst as a regular visitor at SDIA.
bb

I've already given up of seeing PR service at SAN. Especially when JL started up SAN-NRT. From what
I've heard, JL is doing a bang-up job of Shuttling
SAN pax to MNL , connecting through NRT. I had
wondered if SAN did get PR service after all, would it affect the NRT flight by luring away MNL bound pax
from JL?
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANMAN66

Fri May 22, 2020 3:25 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
Looks like the Swift Air 737-800 (N820TJ) that passed through VCV the other day lost (a small) part of its tail in flight on the VCV-SAN leg. :

Wow! That looks bad! Apparently the pilots didn't realize they lost part of the tail while flying. I'm glad no one was hurt, except the plane!
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Fri May 22, 2020 9:55 pm

SANMAN66 wrote:
I've already given up of seeing PR service at SAN. Especially when JL started up SAN-NRT. From what I've heard, JL is doing a bang-up job of shuttling
SAN pax to MNL , connecting through NRT. I had wondered if SAN did get PR service after all, would it affect the NRT flight by luring away MNL bound pax from JL?

I wonder how much military traffic there might be between MNL and SAN? Anyone know if there is a significant amount of such?

Actually, I'd love to find out what is the total daily traffic count between the two cities, especially INCLUDING those who use LAX as their CA airport (those flying PR)? I assume PR has arrived at such a figure of the TOTAL travelers each day who begin their journey in the Philippines and who's destination is the greater San Diego area. In fact, I bet SDIA would have such a stat as well. That would be a very interesting fact to learn...

It seems that SDIA has spent a lot of time (over many years) and effort going after PR and direct service to MNL. Heck, they almost succeeded back in 2008 so I'm betting they feel the amount of traffic is well worth the effort. (And I'm betting the military is part of reason.)

bb

hawaiian717

Sat May 23, 2020 6:01 am

SANFan wrote:
I wonder how much military traffic there might be between MNL and SAN? Anyone know if there is a significant amount of such?

Shouldn’t matter much to PR. Because of the Fly America Act, US military and other government travelers are required to fly US airlines. Codeshares do count, so in order to compete for that traffic, they’d have to work with a US airline to place the US airline’s code on the PR flight. For FY20, Delta has the city pair contract for the route, which suggests there’s enough traffic for airlines to bid on the route, which means PR’s US partner would also have to win the bid or they wouldn’t get any traffic. That seems like a lot to gamble on happening if they’re planning on military traffic to support a SAN flight.

Devilfish

Sat May 23, 2020 2:23 pm

SANMAN66 wrote:
I've already given up of seeing PR service at SAN. Especially when JL started up SAN-NRT. From what I've heard, JL is doing a bang-up job of Shuttling SAN pax to MNL, connecting through NRT. I had wondered if SAN did get PR service after all, would it affect the NRT flight by luring away MNL bound pax from JL?

MNL doesn't have the premium traffic that NRT has...so mostly the back-fillers who are not terminating at NRT. PR couldn't live on that alone for such a long route, direct or nonstop.

SANFan wrote:
Yup, after the last rejection of SAN by PR earlier this year or late last year using the reasoning exactly as you stated, Coronado', "San Diego is just a suburb of LA and can easily be handled by our LA flights" (an attitude thankfully not shared by, oh, for example, BA, JL or LH)

I sure would like to read if PR really put it as indelicately as that. After all, they were the ones listing SAN as a possible destination.

SANFan wrote:
Actually, I'd love to find out what is the total daily traffic count between the two cities, especially INCLUDING those who use LAX as their CA airport (those flying PR)?

Me too. I'm guessing there's a small percentage transiting through ONT on Eva Air?

hawaiian717 wrote:
Shouldn’t matter much to PR. Because of the Fly America Act, US military and other government travelers are required to fly US airlines. Codeshares do count, so in order to compete for that traffic, they’d have to work with a US airline to place the US airline’s code on the PR flight. For FY20, Delta has the city pair contract for the route, which suggests there’s enough traffic for airlines to bid on the route, which means PR’s US partner would also have to win the bid or they wouldn’t get any traffic. That seems like a lot to gamble on happening if they’re planning on military traffic to support a SAN flight.

There may be some demand left but only a shade of what it used to be when Space A on MAC flights were hard to come by. Besides, with PR's prospective partner hurting and COVID-19 raging...it's a huge ask.

SANFan

Sat May 23, 2020 7:33 pm

I just saw the April 2020 pax stats for SDIA; nothing surprising but fascinating and horrifying -- kind of like watching a train wreck happen right in front of you... Gulp.

Total pax traffic for Apr 2020: 74,682! In April 2019, the TL was 2,089,139; that represents a 96.4% drop y-o-y!
Total int'l traffic for Apr 2020: 436! (That's right Four Hundred Thirty Six int'l pax used SAN!) The total in April 2019 was 86,805; that's a decrease of 99.5%!
(SAN.org explained that JL flew in and out of SAN for the first half of April, then stopped. That explains the "high" number of int'l pax for the month... Lordy.)

Interestingly, the Scheduled Seats Available in Apr 2020 were 1,324,548 while April 2019 offered 2,505,433 seats; so this April was 47% less than a year ago with a resulting LF this year (April) of 10.5%! (In other words, the seats available last month were half of last year but the bodies in those seats were 96% fewer. That's why we were/are hearing horror stories of flights with 4 or 5 pax on board...) By the way, that 10.5% LF represented a 75% decrease y-o-y.

TL cargo - domestic and int'l -- only decreased 10.4% so there was some activity on the field overall. (But understandably int'l cargo by itself was down 81%.)

Air carrier arrivals and departures totaled 5,169, down 69.4% y-o-y so there were definitely more planes visiting here than the number of pax justified!

Another particularly interesting set of facts: market share for April (now referred to as "seat share" by the SAN.org folks) for the top 5 cx were:
WN - 61.1%
AA - 12.5%
AS - 9.9%
UA - 6.2%
DL - 5.7%

By now you know where to find the complete report if you have the stomach for it.

bb

SANFan

Sun May 24, 2020 3:27 am

Devilfish wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Yup, after the last rejection of SAN by PR earlier this year or late last year using the reasoning exactly as you stated, Coronado', "San Diego is just a suburb of LA and can easily be handled by our LA flights" (an attitude thankfully not shared by, oh, for example, BA, JL or LH)

I sure would like to read if PR really put it as indelicately as that. After all, they were the ones listing SAN as a possible destination.

I didn't read that anywhere Devil'; it was a verbal comment, second hand, and I'm sure, paraphrased, but from a reliable source. I apologize that I didn't spell out the source.

Thanks, as always, for your thoughts.

bb

vedatil4

Sun May 24, 2020 11:53 am

SANFan wrote:
I just saw the April 2020 pax stats for SDIA; nothing surprising but fascinating and horrifying -- kind of like watching a train wreck happen right in front of you... Gulp.

Total pax traffic for Apr 2020: 74,682! In April 2019, the TL was 2,089,139; that represents a 96.4% drop y-o-y!
Total int'l traffic for Apr 2020: 436! (That's right Four Hundred Thirty Six int'l pax used SAN!) The total in April 2019 was 86,805; that's a decrease of 99.5%!
(SAN.org explained that JL flew in and out of SAN for the first half of April, then stopped. That explains the "high" number of int'l pax for the month... Lordy.)

Interestingly, the Scheduled Seats Available in Apr 2020 were 1,324,548 while April 2019 offered 2,505,433 seats; so this April was 47% less than a year ago with a resulting LF this year (April) of 10.5%! (In other words, the seats available last month were half of last year but the bodies in those seats were 96% fewer. That's why we were/are hearing horror stories of flights with 4 or 5 pax on board...) By the way, that 10.5% LF represented a 75% decrease y-o-y.

TL cargo - domestic and int'l -- only decreased 10.4% so there was some activity on the field overall. (But understandably int'l cargo by itself was down 81%.)

Air carrier arrivals and departures totaled 5,169, down 69.4% y-o-y so there were definitely more planes visiting here than the number of pax justified!

Another particularly interesting set of facts: market share for April (now referred to as "seat share" by the SAN.org folks) for the top 5 cx were:
WN - 61.1%
AA - 12.5%
AS - 9.9%
UA - 6.2%
DL - 5.7%

By now you know where to find the complete report if you have the stomach for it.

bb

Thanks for sharing. The drop was far worse than I imagined. The financial damage for the airlines, tourism industry, and convention center are just tremendous. It's like a fly getting hit by a wrecking ball.

I'm gonna miss sitting in a chair in the sky travelling at high speed in a metal tube full of dangerous propellants.

SANFan

Mon May 25, 2020 11:07 am

Today the OAG thread revealed many changes to the AS schedules for June and for SAN, that means many fewer flights than were showing just yesterday for the same time
period.

All Hawaii service has now been dropped for June, all transcons are dropped except for EWR; both Mexico routes return, and the major intra-CA markets -- SJC, SMF, SFO -- see increases in service. The rest of the intrastate flights continue to see service except SBP which remains shut down. RDM is still not operating and somewhat surprisingly, AUS service has been dropped next month.

Unfortunately, even though many flights have already been dropped for June, those flights and routes showing as of today are not that certain to actually operate. I'm sure AS and all other cx will continue to make last minute adjustments to the schedules and eliminate flights with ridiculously low bookings, and reduce some flights from daily operations to only a few days per week. However, I am hopeful that schedules and service will overall continue to increase as the year goes on. Maybe we have bottomed out in April and even the May numbers will show improvement!

As was shown in the April pax stats that I posted upthread, WN carried about 61% of the traffic at SDIA so I expect to see more routes and frequencies from them too.

bb

hawaiian717

Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:39 am

Per the airport’s twitter account, T1E has reopened for Southwest flights. T2E remains closed with AA and AS operating from T2W.

https://twitter.com/SanDiegoAirport/sta ... 8081609728

SANFan

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:04 pm

I've posted this info elsewhere but I now realize I never did here. And for what it's worth, my opinions are rather extensive throughout this post:

As of now, WN is taking the axe to their previously Top-Ten station of SAN this winter. The Nov 1 schedule extension was released a few days ago (Thursday) and it covers the end of the year & a few days next January.

In comparing the Nov 2019 schedule (that actually op'd, due to the MAX grounding) with the Nov 2020 one, WN will serve 10 fewer nonstop destinations from SAN -- 32 in 11/2019 to 22 in 11/2020 -- on about 23 fewer weekday departures. Nov 2020 shows ~95 flights from SAN as opposed to the 118 flights WN operated last November! The cities that will not be served nonstop from SAN (as of now) this winter are: ATL, ELP, OMA, MCO, GEG, PDX, PVR, SJD, SEA & TPA; these all saw nonstops last November. Our long-awaited service to Hawaii by WN also does not appear on the winter 2020/21 schedules which means to me no service in 2020 (nor was there in 2019.) The service from SAN to HNL and OGG is of course contingent on the State of Hawaii opening up for tourism which is not expected to happen until at least July or August so I don't blame this delay totally on WN. But I am slightly troubled that they apparently don't expect that by November things will be to the point that they can at least schedule service on the routes.

It also must be noted that these schedules for the last 2 months of 2020 are VERY premature and things could get much worse by then, or better, so the actual operating sked could look much different by the time November rolls around. I suppose some of these dropped routes could conceivably reappear on the schedules but it's doubtful...

However, that being said, WN has scheduled plenty of growth and expansion on this same schedule release at many other cities -- such as ATL, BNA, DEN & STL -- yet pretty much nothing but cuts for SAN. For us to lose 1/3 of our nonstop destinations and right around 20% of our daily departures all at once is extremely significant and doesn't bode well for WN in the future here. Might this affect the T1 replacement project (assuming WN might be cutting back their ops here at SDIA permanently?)

Before COViD, WN handled around 40% of SAN's total pax traffic; during COViD, in April anyway, WN was carrying over 60% of all pax here. So it appears that being the #1 carrier in town for probably decades, right up thru this summer, their response (and thank you to the city) is to cut destinations and departures this dramatically?

Interestingly, even with such cuts to SAN's service officially on the books now (making WN's intentions quite clear in my opinion) 2 routes that will continue to be noticeably over-served by our friends at WN are, yup, SMF and SJC. Twelve weekday flights to each city -- far more than any of the other high-frequency destinations served out of SAN -- which just happen to be cities that they continue fighting over against AS! So as WN slowly sinks in our little corner of the Pacific, they manage to apparently keep trying to knock AAG out of both these markets by throwing great amounts of resources at (only) 2 routes! (Even on SAN-SFO, WN is cutting service to only 6 daily flights from the the 8 they've offered for years now.)

Pick your battles? I'd say this is a golden example. Two routes WN is still totally preoccupied with while cutting such routes as ELP and OMA, both of which they chased AS from only earlier this year, and on which they were the only carrier left offering nonstop service to from SAN.

bb

vedatil4

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:21 pm

I saw this mentioned in a different forum and thought I should share it here. It's not San Diego Aviation news exactly but it is being built for San Diego's benefit.

Here's a recent satellite image of the construction work happening at TIJ: https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=955d859f ... orm=S00027

It looks like grading and foundation formwork has started for the new "in-transit" facility. You can see the outline of the new building and the existing CBX bridge nearby.

If you pan to the east, it looks like something else has also started construction near the old 747-SP. It's hard to tell at this point if it's more aircraft parking area or a mysterious Terminal C I found on an old financial report.

GTFspotter

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:55 pm

Which is funny, vedatil4, because if you look at the runway on google maps, the extension and change from 10/28 to 9/27 is already done. However the Bing maps link you sent looks like they are making another prong for the terminal; but have yet to complete the runway. TIJ is lucky in that they have plenty of room for terminal expansion!

Yahnih

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:58 pm

Lufthansa will be returning in the fall and open for booking! awesome

AAtakeMeAway

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:24 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
T2E remains closed with AA and AS operating from T2W.

Praise Jesus Hallelujah

Any news on when the Airspace Lounge will reopen?

SANFan

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:42 pm

Yahnih wrote:

Great! Let's hope that happens.

I don't even know what JL's status is these days but with all the cargo they were carrying earlier in the year, I would expect they would restart flying here sooner rather than later just to keep the belly full even if the pax loads remain light.

A quick update on AS service changes. On Sunday, the OAG-thread announced that AS is apparently leaving the SAN-SMF market; this news came as a shock to me and worries me about AAG's overall outlook on SAN. If AS is interested in being the "go-to" airline in CA for intrastate travel, how can they not connect SAN with our state capitol? They apparently are quite content to fight it out with WN in the SFO and SJC markets from here -- unless those are the next surprises coming from AS -- so why give up on SMF?

In better news, AS has scheduled a second daily nonstop to MCO starting later this year -- again we'll see if it actually happens -- and increased their service/frequencies in some other markets such as PVR, PDX BOI, GEG & MRY. But to my way of thinking, it appears that AAG is continuing to remain primarily a west coast carrier from SAN with very little service east of Idaho these days - AUS & MCO being the only exceptions. (We'll see if/when BOS. EWR and even Hawaii service actually return. And I've totally given up on ever seeing AS fly between JFK and SDIA.)

Announced MCO, PVR, PDX & SEA increases for AS this fall and winter might very well be in response to WN leaving all those markets late this year -- very quick responses IMO! -- but I still hope to see other destinations dropped by WN get restarted from SAN by AAG, such as ELP & OMA. Since AS likes markets out of here with no competition, those 2 cities could now be a high priority! (Get in there before WN changes their minds and gets those 2 routes flying again.)

bb

vedatil4

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:08 pm

GTFspotter wrote:
Which is funny, vedatil4, because if you look at the runway on google maps, the extension and change from 10/28 to 9/27 is already done. However the Bing maps link you sent looks like they are making another prong for the terminal; but have yet to complete the runway. TIJ is lucky in that they have plenty of room for terminal expansion!

Not only do they have room, it appears to be a federal parcel not subject to much local oversight. There was an article a few minutes ago about them not paying property tax or water bills. Can you imagine SD airport doing this? (haha) https://www.elimparcial.com/tijuana/tij ... -0015.html (in Spanish)

But on the positive, they've adopted a "if you build it, they will come" philosophy at TIJ with this new terminal. I hope to see more flight options to Asia or Central/South America there in 5-10 years. :-)

hawaiian717

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:56 pm

Yahnih wrote:

Is this based on some news or announcement? The thing I've been wondering is that I don't know how far out airlines are actually modifying their schedules. Did Lufthansa have SAN removed from fall on their website and it's now back? Because it's possible that the site is still taking bookings based on an old schedule and the SAN-FRA service suspension that far out isn't reflected yet?

Coronado990

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:16 pm

Nice to see Allegiant going through with their expansion from SAN this summer. Looks like LAS/ELP/SCK/BLI/FSD/BIL/IDA/EUG/MFR and TUL are all happening. With WN dropping OMA, I can see G4 expanding there as well as DSM, OKC, LIT and MEM.
Cornucopia

Silver1SWA

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:24 pm

SANFan wrote:

The service from SAN to HNL and OGG is of course contingent on the State of Hawaii opening up for tourism which is not expected to happen until at least July or August so I don't blame this delay totally on WN. But I am slightly troubled that they apparently don't expect that by November things will be to the point that they can at least schedule service on the routes.

bb

My guess is due to performance issues with the winter winds they might sit out another winter and try again in the spring. A return of the MAX could change things but even then I’m not sure they could return and get ETOPS certified before spring 2021 anyway.

Just a guess.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

williaminsd

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:10 pm

Yahnih wrote:

Gawd is THAT good news! Thank you Lufthansa...

There have been times when 2 1/2 hours go by between landings, and for awhile nothing at all on approach after about 8:00.

Thankfully, that has changed in the last couple of weeks with several arrivals after 10:00 now.

One of the reasons I picked my place is so I could watch jets on approach. Been a little lonely on the ol' terrace the last couple of months!

SANFan

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:55 pm

williaminsd wrote:
One of the reasons I picked my place is so I could watch jets on approach. Been a little lonely on the ol' terrace the last couple of months!

Hmmmm, sounds like a great location for the next meeting of the "SAN Chapter of A.nutters." Yeah, yeah, I know there is no such thing but what an excuse to start it!

Silver1SWA wrote:
SANFan wrote:
The service from SAN to HNL and OGG is of course contingent on the State of Hawaii opening up for tourism which is not expected to happen until at least July or August so I don't blame this delay totally on WN. But I am slightly troubled that they apparently don't expect that by November things will be to the point that they can at least schedule service on the routes.
bb

My guess is due to performance issues with the winter winds they might sit out another winter and try again in the spring. A return of the MAX could change things but even then I’m not sure they could return and get ETOPS certified before spring 2021 anyway. Just a guess.

Hey Silver', I still consider you a WN expert on SAN and thank you as always for your helpful updates on the ongoing soap opera of "WN To Start SAN Hawaii Nonstops!"

What do you think about all the dropped routes and flights WN has announced for SAN starting in Nov? (I've outlined a lot of it in an earlier post on this thread.) Dropping 1/3 of their routes (10 of them) and seemingly turning their attention in other directions. Do you think it's a permanent about-face by DAL management or some sort of temporary thing with the airport, the new terminal development, or what? You must keep in touch with former coworkers here; can you shed any light? From the #1 carrier in town in almost all categories, to whatever is happening late this year is pretty unnerving...

Coronado990 wrote:
Nice to see Allegiant going through with their expansion from SAN this summer. Looks like LAS/ELP/SCK/BLI/FSD/BIL/IDA/EUG/MFR and TUL are all happening. With WN dropping OMA, I can see G4 expanding there as well as DSM, OKC, LIT and MEM.

Wow! I haven't been following G4's summer antics closely but this is very nice news. Just a note to you D: I've reserved SAN-OMA for AS already so Allegiant will have to skip that one. (Now if I can just convince AS...) Instead, perhaps G4 would take PSC, GJT, FNL (Ft. Collins), MFE (McAllen) and/or MSO or BZN. COS would be a good destination too if they ever decide to serve it. Perhaps they'll make a go of it here after all!

bb

ibthebigd

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:06 pm

CVG-SAN on G4 would be an interesting route

I don't know how many people would want to be on an Allegiant jet for 4.5 hours. I know I wouldn't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Devilfish

Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:16 am

ibthebigd wrote:
I don't know how many people would want to be on an Allegiant jet for 4.5 hours. I know I wouldn't.

Particularly if it were an A319 from 5J... :crowded: ...although their former A320 doesn't seem so bad..... :airplane:

So...SAN did land former RP-C registered aircraft after all. :smile: IINM, the two PR A320s became part donors?

https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/02/25 ... egiant-air
Last edited by Devilfish on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jplatts

Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:21 am

ibthebigd wrote:
CVG-SAN on G4 would be an interesting route

I agree that G4 adding CVG-SAN nonstop service is a possibility with G4 already serving CVG nonstop from LAX, with F9 no longer serving CVG nonstop from SAN, and with CVG being one of the top destinations without nonstop service from SAN.

Coronado990

Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:17 pm

Coronado990 wrote:

Wow! I haven't been following G4's summer antics closely but this is very nice news. Just a note to you D: I've reserved SAN-OMA for AS already so Allegiant will have to skip that one. (Now if I can just convince AS...) Instead, perhaps G4 would take PSC, GJT, FNL (Ft. Collins), MFE (McAllen) and/or MSO or BZN. COS would be a good destination too if they ever decide to serve it. Perhaps they'll make a go of it here after all!

bb[/quote]

Hey SanFan,

I can't see AS going east into the heartland again. Now on the other hand, if UA really wants to be dominate in the California market, they need to make the states third busiest airport into a focus stronghold as well. A good start would be the SAN-SMF market. SAN-COS would be a market UA could do. They would be a good candidate to re-establish SAN-MEX direct non-stops. Western cities such as RNO, SLC, LAS and PHX all come to mind plus all the southwestern cities all the way over to IAH. Maybe a SAN-MSN would work. I can see lots of possibilities.
Cornucopia

SANFan

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:44 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
Hey SanFan,

I can't see AS going east into the heartland again. Now on the other hand, if UA really wants to be dominate in the California market, they need to make the states third busiest airport into a focus stronghold as well. A good start would be the SAN-SMF market. SAN-COS would be a market UA could do. They would be a good candidate to re-establish SAN-MEX direct non-stops. Western cities such as RNO, SLC, LAS and PHX all come to mind plus all the southwestern cities all the way over to IAH. Maybe a SAN-MSN would work. I can see lots of possibilities.

There you go again D, thinking outside the box! UA is the last carrier I'd think of as making any kind of move to grow SAN w p-2-p flying. But who knows, it could happen, particularly if WN backs off their SDIA focus and AS doesn't jump on some more markets soon (and continue SAN as at least a focus city.)

Your point about UA entering SAN-SMF -- especially if AS is indeed pulling out for good -- is certainly valid as that market can and should certainly support at least 2 cx. I'm sure you remember the Shuttle by United years ago; I believe they flew from SAN to both OAK and SMF did they not? Didn't last too long but if I remember correctly, it was because UA pulled the plug on the entire Shuttle experiment. I expect there are UA Frequent Flyers who travel between SAN and SMF and their current choices are connecting in LA or SF or taking WN.

Your leading comment about AS and the midwest is certainly a possibility. But I think at some point at least, if they are to continue both network expansion and growing SAN,
they will have to get to some of those cities east of DEN and short of transcons. OMA seems ideal as a start as it will be unserved and the market is strong enough to support nonstop service. Plus, they flew the route just last year and have at least a bit of brand recognition and history. Finally, that's another of the many cities that AAG serves only from SEA so restarting service from SAN would only help strengthen the OMA station.

bb

Coronado990

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:15 am

SANFan wrote:
Your point about UA entering SAN-SMF -- especially if AS is indeed pulling out for good -- is certainly valid as that market can and should certainly support at least 2 cx. I'm sure you remember the Shuttle by United years ago; I believe they flew from SAN to both OAK and SMF did they not? Didn't last too long but if I remember correctly, it was because UA pulled the plug on the entire Shuttle experiment. I expect there are UA Frequent Flyers who travel between SAN and SMF and their current choices are connecting in LA or SF or taking WN.

Your leading comment about AS and the midwest is certainly a possibility. But I think at some point at least, if they are to continue both network expansion and growing SAN,
they will have to get to some of those cities east of DEN and short of transcons. OMA seems ideal as a start as it will be unserved and the market is strong enough to support nonstop service. Plus, they flew the route just last year and have at least a bit of brand recognition and history. Finally, that's another of the many cities that AAG serves only from SEA so restarting service from SAN would only help strengthen the OMA station.

bb

I remember Shuttle by United and they ran flights to LAX, SFO and SMF but I do not remember OAK. I'm pretty sure they did not operate SAN-OAK.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the old freight building on Stillwater Rd is still being moved to the north side of the field and was it the original UAL hangar from the 1930's? Was it the one originally on Pacific Hwy to began with? Thanks.
Cornucopia

tphuang

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:47 pm

AS just said they expect to be 35 to 50% smaller this winter and 20% smaller by next summer and are looking to downsize staffing levels by about 13% in order to achieve the cost cuts.

SEA is going to be brought back before everything else. And PDX after that. I'd expect California focus cities to be brought back very slowly. Especially in the midcon and transcon markets. So can't see something like SAN-OMA being added. If anything, BOS/EWR might get dropped.

SANFan

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:39 pm

tphuang wrote:
AS just said they expect to be 35 to 50% smaller this winter and 20% smaller by next summer and are looking to downsize staffing levels by about 13% in order to achieve the cost cuts.

SEA is going to be brought back before everything else. And PDX after that. I'd expect California focus cities to be brought back very slowly. Especially in the midcon and transcon markets. So can't see something like SAN-OMA being added. If anything, BOS/EWR might get dropped.

All subject to changing conditions as we move forward, but those predictions could very well be the case with AS as well as many other cx.

I don't know that the rebuilding of the hubs - including those in CA -- and focus cities -- both of which are in CA -- have to necessarily be done one at a time as you suggest. AAG is quite capable of multi-tasking and it has been stated that they are looking for opportunities to jump into routes abandoned by other cx.

SAN-OMA might seem to some like a reach but it is a route that AAG decided (for their own reasons) to start in August 2017 and operate for 2 uninterrupted years. (There were even some rumors that it was due to be upgraded to mainline a/c at some point in 2019.) It was dropped along with a slew of other midwestern cities as part of a strategy change by route planning in SEA. (I might add that WN starting the route in June 2019 might very well have entered into AAG's decision to drop it!)

Unless there has been a drastic change in the daily traffic between SAN and OMA, and considering WN has now dropped the route, it should be a sustainable market especially for AS's 76-seat EMJ. Sounds like an ideal 'opportunity' for AAG to me.

bb

williaminsd

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:35 pm

Posted this in the SMF thread too...

Some notes from my recently completed SAN-SMF RT 6/9-6/12.

Outbound to SMF started with an unusually long wait for uber. 15 min to confirm a ride. Same issue on return. Not sure what’s going on with uber. Cost was unusually high too. I know they price by demand, but this was extreme for both price and wait: longest wait time, highest price. I hope that is just temporary!

Once at airport, a few people at check-in with three agents there to assist, certainly more than last time, but still nothing close to pre-covid. The Alaska counter is now in T2-West, which is a beautiful facility. If you have to find a silver lining in all this, Alaska moving out of that dungeon in T-2E is it.

TSA had a short line, and they grouped the queue for First Class and Main Cabin at end, so one TSA officer cleared everyone. Line for the single scanner was about 10 deep, which also was more than last time, but significantly less than pre-covid. I forgot to note if the pre-clearance line was operational.

At gate, there was a surprisingly high number of pax. I counted 31 outbound, which is a total LF of nearly 41% based on total capacity. If you account for the blocked-out seats (32), that’s a LF of over 70%. Also, main cabin boarded starting with last row and moved forward.

On board, service is a little more friendly and pre-virus feeling. Everyone still wears masks onboard (although that number has gone way-down at both airports. Even San Diego, where I thought a mask-requirement was in-place, I’d say that no more than 30% of people were wearing masks, even less in SMF), but you could remove them if eating or drinking.

Up front, you had a choice of bottled water or craft beer in a can to drink. It was not a tough call… We also got a choice of the “Picnic Packs” which are typically b.o.b. for longer flights in Main Cabin. I went with the Northwest Deli pack which includes salami, cheese, crackers, chips, sea-salt almonds, and an Almond Roca. They’re not bad!

Still no soda or juice, but a huge improvement over the zero snack/drinks we had before.

Flight back was more remarkable in terms of pax count. 37 booked (according to signage at gate) with six on stand-by. Not sure how many of those made it, but that is effectively 99% LF of available seats and <56% LF of total seats.

This makes Alaska’s decision to drop route even more perplexing. You could tell the impact of the cuts to the SMF crew. I asked some of the ground team at SMF about the loss of SAN flights. They were all bummed and some, when questioned, feared that meant many of them would soon be unemployed due to staffing cutbacks to match the drawdown of the station. They still were the consummate professionals they always are, but you could feel the sadness.

I guess that’s what happens when your employer chooses to become a small regional…

Next up, SAN-SJC on 6/18. I LOVE getting back into the sky again!

ericm2031

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:58 pm

williaminsd wrote:
Posted this in the SMF thread too...

Outbound to SMF started with an unusually long wait for uber. 15 min to confirm a ride. Same issue on return. Not sure what’s going on with uber. Cost was unusually high too. I know they price by demand, but this was extreme for both price and wait: longest wait time, highest price. I hope that is just temporary!

Once at airport, a few people at check-in with three agents there to assist, certainly more than last time, but still nothing close to pre-covid. The Alaska counter is now in T2-West, which is a beautiful facility. If you have to find a silver lining in all this, Alaska moving out of that dungeon in T-2E is it.

TSA had a short line, and they grouped the queue for First Class and Main Cabin at end, so one TSA officer cleared everyone. Line for the single scanner was about 10 deep, which also was more than last time, but significantly less than pre-covid. I forgot to note if the pre-clearance line was operational.

At gate, there was a surprisingly high number of pax. I counted 31 outbound, which is a total LF of nearly 41% based on total capacity. If you account for the blocked-out seats (32), that’s a LF of over 70%. Also, main cabin boarded starting with last row and moved forward.

On board, service is a little more friendly and pre-virus feeling. Everyone still wears masks onboard (although that number has gone way-down at both airports. Even San Diego, where I thought a mask-requirement was in-place, I’d say that no more than 30% of people were wearing masks, even less in SMF), but you could remove them if eating or drinking.

Up front, you had a choice of bottled water or craft beer in a can to drink. It was not a tough call… We also got a choice of the “Picnic Packs” which are typically b.o.b. for longer flights in Main Cabin. I went with the Northwest Deli pack which includes salami, cheese, crackers, chips, sea-salt almonds, and an Almond Roca. They’re not bad!

Still no soda or juice, but a huge improvement over the zero snack/drinks we had before.

Flight back was more remarkable in terms of pax count. 37 booked (according to signage at gate) with six on stand-by. Not sure how many of those made it, but that is effectively 99% LF of available seats and <56% LF of total seats.

This makes Alaska’s decision to drop route even more perplexing. You could tell the impact of the cuts to the SMF crew. I asked some of the ground team at SMF about the loss of SAN flights. They were all bummed and some, when questioned, feared that meant many of them would soon be unemployed due to staffing cutbacks to match the drawdown of the station. They still were the consummate professionals they always are, but you could feel the sadness.

I guess that’s what happens when your employer chooses to become a small regional…

Next up, SAN-SJC on 6/18. I LOVE getting back into the sky again!

I’m guessing the cost of Uber is up because a lot of drivers are currently choosing not to drive Uber due to COVID...or maybe are collecting unemployment instead...or maybe doing food delivery instead.

SANFan

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:07 pm

williaminsd wrote:

Outbound to SMF...

Thanks for sharing this report William'. Lots of interesting stuff.

You do realize that, as far as we know, the move to T2W is temporary for AS & AA? But who knows, maybe someone's been doing some remodeling -- like sticking some windows in! -- in T2E during it's downtime. It would make sense but who in the aviation world has the money these days? I doubt that SDIA nor AAG do.

The pax counts you provided make me so frustrated! Possibly, you just happened to fly 2 unusually full flights? I doubt it. I'm sure WN flew at least 5 or 6 flights those days and yet, people were flying AAG. This is why AS cutting the route completely is so bothersome; if the loads are predicted to be THAT awful, drop to 1 r/t a day just to stay in the market and see what happens. With no service (for the foreseeable future!) why will anyone even continue to even think about AS?

AS continues to offer 2 daily r/t thru the month of July. I sure hope the bean counters/network planning will be watching the booking numbers for the next month and a half very closely and if things keep happening the way you report them, perhaps they will change their minds about the route-drop effective August 1...! Keep the route at dbl-daily for the rest of the year if necessary, or even cut it back to a single r/t, but please AAG, DON'T DROP IT!

Despite the increases that seem to be showing up in other AS markets later this year -- including in SAN -- I'm sure the carrier has lots of EMJs available to add flights back into this market and they can always eliminate some planned furloughs to make sure crews are available to operate the flights.

What bothers me is this. I can live with maybe losing SAN-SBP or SAN-RDM -- prolly temporarily but perhaps even permanently -- or even SAN-BWI, but for AS to axe an important intra-CA, high-use market like SAN-SMF, a route between 2 major CA cities which has a major competitor trying for 3 years to push AS out, seems like a very poor strategy. On one end of this city pair, AS has a focus city, hopefully continuing to grow its flyer base and expand its route map, and on the other end is the state capital which happens to be the 6th largest city in the state! And AS chooses not to serve the market?!

Thanks again William'; now go enjoy that balcony of yours!

bb

Coronado990

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:28 pm

I would think that with some create scheduling AS could continue operating SAN-SMF by having one of the PAE flights stop at SMF to augment the non-stop between SAN-PAE. They could do the same with GEG and BOI....just have one of the SAN flights make a stop at SMF to augment the non-stop. Maybe the RDM could stop at SMF as well. Thats four flights right there. Plus SMF gets some more unique non-stops out of the deal.
Cornucopia

SANFan

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:31 pm

Hot off the press: a new route announcement from SAN, rather a surprising add from an unexpected carrier.

JetBlue is planning on beginning SAN-EWR service on Aug 6 with a frequency of "up to 1x daily"! It will operate with an A320 -- not Mint as those new EWR flights of course go to LA and SFO. Blue is jumping on many new routes around the country that they see as needing service this summer; how long the flights will last is anybody's guess at this time. There is a thread discussing this found here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1447789 and the actual B6 PR is here:
http://blueir.investproductions.com/inv ... -143034427

This, if it happens to any significant degree, will be Blue's 4th route from SAN with EWR joining JFK, BOS and FLL. I will add that B6 does seem to be planning on turning EWR into a focus city, acquiring gates and building a base there. Hopefully they will remain in the SAN market permanently while competing with both UA and AS. And maybe when the fleet permits, Blue will turn SAN-EWR into a Mint route!

It's a treat to get a new route announcement in the current civil aviation environment of the summer of COVID. Who knows, as our cx jockey for position in the recovery period, maybe there will be others...

bb

tphuang

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:28 pm

I think jetblue will jump on MCO-SAN at some point now that WN has left that market. EWR-SAN is more likely to stick around than some of the other markets they announced today because they are making a real commitment at EWR.

SANFan

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:59 am

tphuang wrote:
I think jetblue will jump on MCO-SAN at some point now that WN has left that market. EWR-SAN is more likely to stick around than some of the other markets they announced today because they are making a real commitment at EWR.

I am wondering about MCO-SAN as well. If WN really stays out of the market, as of now AS is the one regular carrier there. (F9 periodically offers service but I haven't seen them in it lately.) Of course AS has already made a move by going double-daily between SAN and MCO starting in November, unexpected and exciting to see!

Since many feel B6 is targeting AS with their new EWR-w/c routes -- SAN, LAS & SFO -- B6 jumping into SAN-MCO would expand such a battle between the 2 cx. My next thought is that AS might well jump into SAN-JFK and of course they could also start SAN-FLL , a couple of established Blue routes...

bb

SANFan

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:25 pm

Time for another pointless posting of SAN's pax traffic. I'm hopeful that maybe some A.netters from other cities might find the info of interest to see how our little airport (size-wise) compares to theirs in this time of COVID recovery (...hopefully.)

May's numbers were just reported and are a bit optimistic although not overwhelming. Here are some of the highlights:

TOTAL pax for May 2020: 192,432, up from April's total (74,682) by well over double yet still down 91% y-o-y from May 2019;
TOTAL int'l pax for May 2020: 0! Hard to imagine but true! Nada is such a small number...
TOTAL pax aircraft ops for May 2020: 3,925, down from April 2020 and down 77% y-o-y; it did help improve our overall load factor to ~35%, from ~10% in April.
Airline Market share data: 1) WN with 52.5% (down from April); 2) AS at 14.9% (back in 2nd place & up from April); 3) AA with 11% & 4) DL at 9.3%.

Hopefully June numbers will be better, judging by some anecdotal remarks I've heard. I guess that int'l pax number won't be increasing quickly, or anytime real soon...?
Regarding market share data, looks like WN shared the wealth more in May than April, and AS was happy to oblige! AA slipped a bit from April and DL increased a lot (from 5.7% in April.) A very depressing fact: 8 of our cx showed 0 market share (read: no traffic at all) for May. Wow...

Here's the link for the full report: https://www.san.org/DesktopModules/Brin ... &TabId=403

bb

jplatts

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:54 pm

SANFan wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I am wondering about MCO-SAN as well. If WN really stays out of the market, as of now AS is the one regular carrier there. (F9 periodically offers service but I haven't seen them in it lately.) Of course AS has already made a move by going double-daily between SAN and MCO starting in November, unexpected and exciting to see!

While WN was able to fill SAN-MCO nonstop flights prior to dropping SAN-MCO nonstop service and prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, WN had dropped the SAN-MCO nonstop route due to the plane shortage arising from the 737 MAX grounding and the decreased demand for air travel as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

WN re-adding SAN-MCO nonstop service might be a possibility once WN has more planes back in service and demand for domestic air travel returns with (a) WN having a much bigger presence at both MCO and SAN than B6, (b) WN having a FF base in both the MCO and SAN market to support the return of SAN-MCO nonstop service, and (c) demand being there for WN SAN-MCO nonstop service prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

SANFan

Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:11 am

WN update: I see that SAN-HNL service is now showing on their website starting August 1 - 1 daily r/t, with a 3 pm-ish departure from SAN and a morning HNL return arriving back at SDIA ~6pm! I don't see any Maui service in August but perhaps it shows up later in the year.

So I can now report that WN at least appears to be ready to start the route if the State of Hawaii opens for tourism on August 1. Very nice to see.

AS's skeds also show they are ready to start flying from SAN to the west asap; I haven't seen or heard about HA's plans.

bb

Silver1SWA

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:33 am

SANFan wrote:
WN update: I see that SAN-HNL service is now showing on their website starting August 1 - 1 daily r/t, with a 3 pm-ish departure from SAN and a morning HNL return arriving back at SDIA ~6pm! I don't see any Maui service in August but perhaps it shows up later in the year.

So I can now report that WN at least appears to be ready to start the route if the State of Hawaii opens for tourism on August 1. Very nice to see.

AS's skeds also show they are ready to start flying from SAN to the west asap; I haven't seen or heard about HA's plans.

bb

As I noted in a DM ( :wink:) it was July 1 before they extended the quarantine but yes I agree, it’s good to see they have not given up. Hawaii is seeing a spike in cases though, so I’m not very optimistic about tourism opening back up any time soon. However, interisland quarantine lifted on Monday and passengers returned literally overnight and things feel almost back to normal at work. So proof enough for me that demand will come rushing back once the restriction is lifted.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

757SanCam

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:51 pm

quote="Opus99"]
Revelation wrote:
Not looking good for the 744 at BA:

[
This could mark the beginning of the final chapter of the B747 at BA, as today all training & recency for the 600 or so pilots was formally suspended.

Ref: https://twitter.com/Tim_the_Pilot/statu ... 9112380416

Doesn’t seem like they’re coming back. A350 and 77Ws will hold down the 747s route as much as possible till whenever 779 joins[/quote]

This is off the BA fleet retirement site in this forum, sure looks like SAN will not see BA 747 service upon return of flights from LHR, it will either be 77W or A350's. Previous posts indicated decent cargo loads out of SAN so would that determine aircraft used?.

SANFan

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:24 pm

I noticed something encouraging on the OAG thread this morning regarding AS and service to Hawaii. The changes loaded today for AS were all for August,essentially the fine tuning of that schedule, mostly consisting of reductions from the August schedule released a long time ago. That is not to say there will be no further cuts or adds to August's offerings by AS; in fact, there will undoubtedly be closer-in adjustments as has been the norm in the last several months as we work thru changing traffic patterns, state closures and openings (e.g., HI in particular) and moves by other cx.

What I noticed is that AS currently is planning the resumption of daily service from SAN to all 4 Hawaiian islands as of the beginning of August, as scheduled previously. To the best of my knowledge, the State of HI is currently "closed" until July 31, and could remain so even longer. If they do, obviously AS's bare-bones service only will be offered, including, I assume, nothing from SAN.

While SAN is scheduled to receive it's nearly full complement of Hawaiian flights -- not full since Maui was supposed to go Daily-Double for this summer back in the early days of 2020 -- most other gateways for AS are seeing less than daily, or even no flights to Hawaii on August 1: SFO, LAX, PDX, SJC & OAK are all showing reduced or some eliminated HI flights! This is telling me that SAN seems to be high on AAG's list of important Island-gateways to connect with Hawaii ASAP. Granted, competition is a factor in deciding which cities to serve first and WN is obviously a key consideration. (According to their schedules, WN is still planning to start SAN-HNL on 8/1.)

I haven't studied the overall SAN turn schedule for AS effective Aug 1 but it appears that EWR is not starting as it was previously expected to. And of course SMF is cut. Many other markets see reduced frequencies from what was originally scheduled but most appear to see at least daily service. (PAE is absent but that I believe is due to the airport being closed for construction.)

bb

Silver1SWA

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:58 pm

SANFan wrote:
I noticed something encouraging on the OAG thread this morning regarding AS and service to Hawaii. The changes loaded today for AS were all for August,essentially the fine tuning of that schedule, mostly consisting of reductions from the August schedule released a long time ago. That is not to say there will be no further cuts or adds to August's offerings by AS; in fact, there will undoubtedly be closer-in adjustments as has been the norm in the last several months as we work thru changing traffic patterns, state closures and openings (e.g., HI in particular) and moves by other cx.

What I noticed is that AS currently is planning the resumption of daily service from SAN to all 4 Hawaiian islands as of the beginning of August, as scheduled previously. To the best of my knowledge, the State of HI is currently "closed" until July 31, and could remain so even longer. If they do, obviously AS's bare-bones service only will be offered, including, I assume, nothing from SAN.

While SAN is scheduled to receive it's nearly full complement of Hawaiian flights -- not full since Maui was supposed to go Daily-Double for this summer back in the early days of 2020 -- most other gateways for AS are seeing less than daily, or even no flights to Hawaii on August 1: SFO, LAX, PDX, SJC & OAK are all showing reduced or some eliminated HI flights! This is telling me that SAN seems to be high on AAG's list of important Island-gateways to connect with Hawaii ASAP. Granted, competition is a factor in deciding which cities to serve first and WN is obviously a key consideration. (According to their schedules, WN is still planning to start SAN-HNL on 8/1.)

I haven't studied the overall SAN turn schedule for AS effective Aug 1 but it appears that EWR is not starting as it was previously expected to. And of course SMF is cut. Many other markets see reduced frequencies from what was originally scheduled but most appear to see at least daily service. (PAE is absent but that I believe is due to the airport being closed for construction.)

bb

Hawaii will be extending the quarantine beyond July 31 but on August 1 will begin a program that allows visitors who have been tested with a negative result within 72 hours of arrival to be exempt from quarantine.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos