Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hawaiian717

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:25 pm

SANFan wrote:
I wonder if there might be an EMJ shortage (or crew or other support resource issue) that caused AS to eliminate this flight/route for the month of December? It certainly doesn't make any sense to start a brand new route and run it for 10 days... If there is some sort of issue causing this, hopefully it will be fixed shortly and we have our nonstop to SBA continuously from Nov 20!

I wouldn’t take any schedules that appear right now as any sort of long term indication. Airlines are constantly adjusting their schedules in an attempt to minimize losses. Airlines are being very opportunistic, if they think there might be short term demand for a route they’ll run a flight just for that. This sounds like AS thinks there might be demand for SAN-SBA around Thanksgiving so they put it in. They may not have decided about December yet, or may not have gotten around to purging their January schedules yet.

SANFan

Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:40 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
I wonder if there might be an EMJ shortage (or crew or other support resource issue) that caused AS to eliminate this flight/route for the month of December? It certainly doesn't make any sense to start a brand new route and run it for 10 days... If there is some sort of issue causing this, hopefully it will be fixed shortly and we have our nonstop to SBA continuously from Nov 20!

I wouldn’t take any schedules that appear right now as any sort of long term indication. Airlines are constantly adjusting their schedules in an attempt to minimize losses. Airlines are being very opportunistic, if they think there might be short term demand for a route they’ll run a flight just for that. This sounds like AS thinks there might be demand for SAN-SBA around Thanksgiving so they put it in. They may not have decided about December yet, or may not have gotten around to purging their January schedules yet.

Of course you're right D. At least the inaugural date - 11/20 -- has remained the same since the route was first announced so I'm pretty confident that the flight will start as planned and I would expect it will carry on thru holiday-heavy December. As of now, SAN-SBA-SAN shows op'ing with an OO EMJ. But we have to wait and see how it plays out. And I'm still waiting to figure out where the a/c is coming from in SAN that will operate this new roundtrip; there are no other new EMJ routes starting on 11/20 but there are prolly some added EMJ frequencies on existing or even returning routes (such as MRY or PAE?) that might be added, or, of course some existing flights could be dropped. (I seriously doubt the latter scenario.)

Just a reminder that on 11/20-21 AS will also be adding our brand new winter long-hauls: Ft. Lauderdale and Cancun! A 738 will be split between these 2 routes serving CUN 4x weekly and FLL the remaining 3 days of the week, Tu, Th, Sa. PDX will get the alternative days to CUN and FLL so AS will be investing 2 738s and 4 cities in this endeavor. That tells me they are taking these 4 new routes pretty seriously and I certainly hope ALL these new routes for SAN do well and stay on permanently! (CUN is scheduled as seasonal, ending in the 2nd week in April while FLL is supposedly continuing to operate all year.)

bb

SANFan

Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:06 pm

In case anyone is interested, AS has dropped the SAN-SBA flight that was supposed to begin in 2-3 weeks. I guess "dropped" is not exactly the correct term; the flight does still show on the schedules as beginning on March 18, 2021....

I don't know what's behind this route but it is one of several routes that just appeared on the skeds back in August but was never formally announced by AS. We have 2 others from SAN that were also not announced -- CUN and MSO. They both continue to appear on AS's website as of now but who knows? And I'm fairly skeptical as to whether SBA will actually start next March.

I do see that SAN.org has removed the marque advertising for the route that has been appearing on their Home Page... I wonder if they have their doubts about the viability of the new route as well?

bb

vedatil4

Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:24 am

I hope the CUN flight out of SAN still happens. However, now AS will have to compete with three airlines out of TIJ offering flights to CUN; VivaAerobus, Aeromexico, and Volaris. We went from not having direct flights there for years to now four airlines flying there in a short period of time. I didn't know so many people needed to cross the border for essential trips to Cancun. :-)

wnflyguy

Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:40 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Southwest has removed the jetway from Gate 2. Gate 2 can now only be used for turboprop or regional jet boarding. Does anybody know what the last flight to use Gate 2 was?

WN expand its Ramp T-Point baggage area.
They removed gate 2, reZoned the J lines for gate 1 and 1A for easier aircraft parking.
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

Silver1SWA

Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:50 pm

WN’s SAN-HNL is FINALLY a reality! It’s currently enroute and I can’t wait to see it arrive. It’s about time. :bigthumbsup:
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

SANFan

Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:07 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
WN’s SAN-HNL is FINALLY a reality! It’s currently enroute and I can’t wait to see it arrive. It’s about time. :bigthumbsup:

Aloha R! You're absolutely right! I wonder if the inaugural flight is full? Take good care of her when she lands!

Evan under WN's apparent new classification of SAN, summed up as "Ehhhhhhh", I do hope the westbound service to HI will remain and eventually even expand to include
other Islands. I'm assuming WN is looking at primarily carrying local traffic between SAN and HNL and not counting much on connecting traffic from/to other mainland cities.

In any case, congrats to Southwest for sticking with it and finally getting this route started!

bb

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:39 pm

So here's the semi-annual letter from SAN's CEO, Kimberly Becker:

Dear friends and colleagues,

I hope this note finds you well. The holidays are fast-approaching, and with them comes the normally busy holiday travel season. While this season will be different from years past, I thought it was important to reach out and provide an update on what we’ve been doing at San Diego International Airport to help keep everyone safe if you plan to travel by air this holiday season.

If you haven’t been to the airport in a while, a lot has changed. Our passenger volume as of yesterday was down 67 percent compared to this time last year. While this sounds like a lot – and it is -- this is up significantly from earlier in the year, when we were down by as much as 95 percent.

Masks are required inside the terminals and on the airplanes. Our “Let’s Go Safely” initiative focuses on a series of health and safety modifications within the terminals, including enhanced cleaning operations, Plexiglas sneeze guards, vending machines offering masks and hand sanitizer, and floor decals and seat signage to remind people to practice social distancing. Additionally, our employees participate in personal health screens prior to entering the buildings each day.

Check out this video to get a firsthand look at what we’re doing to advance health and safety for everyone.

Our efforts have helped us become one of only nine airports in the world to achieve the Airport Health Accreditation from Airports Council International (ACI). This certifies that SAN is aligned with the ACI Aviation Business Restart and Recovery guidelines and International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Council Aviation Restart Task Force recommendations, along with industry best practices.

Some concessions remain closed due to the decrease in passenger volumes, but food and drink remains available throughout both terminals, including from the @Your Gate delivery service.

COVID-19 testing has also started at the airport. Alaska Airlines began offering tests at the airport as of November 16. The tests are for Hawaii-bound passengers and are done by appointment only. Other airlines may also offer testing soon. The Airport Authority is preparing to offer its own testing program for passengers, employees and tenants early next year.

We have also begun the process of restoring flights lost to the pandemic earlier this year. We are excited that Southwest began their long-awaited service to Honolulu recently. And Alaska Airlines will begin nonstop service to Cancun and Fort Lauderdale this week. Between currently served, seasonal and announced new markets, that brings us to 62 nonstop destinations, down from 70 pre-pandemic.

You may also be wondering about the status of the Airport Development Plan, which seeks to replace the outdated Terminal 1 with a more modern and efficient facility. We’re moving forward in a careful, deliberative fashion, and we remain cautiously optimistic that we can break ground in late 2021 or early 2022. We continue to navigate the Coastal Commission and NEPA environmental review processes. In September, the Airport Authority Board approved the selection of Turner-Flatiron as the design-build team for the new Terminal 1, associated roadways and parking structure.

While my calendar tells me the holidays are almost here, I still can’t quite believe it. Whether your immediate plans include air travel to reunite with family, or simply staying home with loved ones, I wish all of you comfort, peace and joy. And here’s to better things in 2021!

Sincerely,

Kimberly J. Becker
President / CEO
T 619.400.2444
[email protected]

Link to "Let's Go Safely": https://www.san.org/GoSafely

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQOt16N-Gio

Happy eventual flying to all!!

Yahnih

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:34 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
So here's the semi-annual letter from SAN's CEO, Kimberly Becker:

Dear friends and colleagues,

I hope this note finds you well. The holidays are fast-approaching, and with them comes the normally busy holiday travel season. While this season will be different from years past, I thought it was important to reach out and provide an update on what we’ve been doing at San Diego International Airport to help keep everyone safe if you plan to travel by air this holiday season.

If you haven’t been to the airport in a while, a lot has changed. Our passenger volume as of yesterday was down 67 percent compared to this time last year. While this sounds like a lot – and it is -- this is up significantly from earlier in the year, when we were down by as much as 95 percent.

Masks are required inside the terminals and on the airplanes. Our “Let’s Go Safely” initiative focuses on a series of health and safety modifications within the terminals, including enhanced cleaning operations, Plexiglas sneeze guards, vending machines offering masks and hand sanitizer, and floor decals and seat signage to remind people to practice social distancing. Additionally, our employees participate in personal health screens prior to entering the buildings each day.

Check out this video to get a firsthand look at what we’re doing to advance health and safety for everyone.

Our efforts have helped us become one of only nine airports in the world to achieve the Airport Health Accreditation from Airports Council International (ACI). This certifies that SAN is aligned with the ACI Aviation Business Restart and Recovery guidelines and International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Council Aviation Restart Task Force recommendations, along with industry best practices.

Some concessions remain closed due to the decrease in passenger volumes, but food and drink remains available throughout both terminals, including from the @Your Gate delivery service.

COVID-19 testing has also started at the airport. Alaska Airlines began offering tests at the airport as of November 16. The tests are for Hawaii-bound passengers and are done by appointment only. Other airlines may also offer testing soon. The Airport Authority is preparing to offer its own testing program for passengers, employees and tenants early next year.

We have also begun the process of restoring flights lost to the pandemic earlier this year. We are excited that Southwest began their long-awaited service to Honolulu recently. And Alaska Airlines will begin nonstop service to Cancun and Fort Lauderdale this week. Between currently served, seasonal and announced new markets, that brings us to 62 nonstop destinations, down from 70 pre-pandemic.

You may also be wondering about the status of the Airport Development Plan, which seeks to replace the outdated Terminal 1 with a more modern and efficient facility. We’re moving forward in a careful, deliberative fashion, and we remain cautiously optimistic that we can break ground in late 2021 or early 2022. We continue to navigate the Coastal Commission and NEPA environmental review processes. In September, the Airport Authority Board approved the selection of Turner-Flatiron as the design-build team for the new Terminal 1, associated roadways and parking structure.

While my calendar tells me the holidays are almost here, I still can’t quite believe it. Whether your immediate plans include air travel to reunite with family, or simply staying home with loved ones, I wish all of you comfort, peace and joy. And here’s to better things in 2021!

Sincerely,

Kimberly J. Becker
President / CEO
T 619.400.2444
[email protected]

Link to "Let's Go Safely": https://www.san.org/GoSafely

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQOt16N-Gio

Happy eventual flying to all!!

Sounds awesome! I just flew back to Korea last week from SAN.

Sad to see a lot of the establishments closed, but seems a lot of passengers picking up!

Took my connecting flight to SFO, which unfortunately had more businesses temporarily closed due to COVID-19, including duty free :(

blacksoviet

Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:13 am

The Airline Support Building should be finished soon. The Commuter Terminal should be demolished next year.

blacksoviet

Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:09 am

Why does the Commuter Terminal only have 4 gates if there are nine hardstands?

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:11 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

Because there's room for nine hard stands, but there was never a need for more than four gates.

PSA's unofficial motto was "get 'em in, get 'em out, 'cause a plane on the ground isn't making any money". Once a plane arrived at a hard stand, the arriving passengers went directly to baggage claim and to the exit, while the departing group was called to their departing door. If the plane was in the west set of stands, passengers were checked out of either of the two doors on the west side, and vice-versa if a plane was parked on the east side.

I never had the chance to fly PSA, as I lived in Bakersfield until 1999, to which PSA never flew. However, when ExpressJet was flying independent-branded routes, I flew SAN-BFL to visit my family frequently, and I experienced the Commuter Terminal boarding process many times. I was always impressed that the airlines communicated with each other so that American Eagle, United Express, and ExpressJet co-existed side-by-side, without stepping on anyone's toes or interfering with operations at all.

The ultimate irony to me, though, is this: until 2005, BFL's air terminal was a modified temporary building that was little more than a quonsett hut with literally no services whatsoever. A really tragic symbol of an airport with the third-longest commercial runway in California having nearly non-existent passenger facilities to match its non-existent airline service. There wasn't even a luggage carousel built until 1985, after AA's MD80 service to DFW began. Not until 2005 when the beautiful (yet still under-utilized) new terminal opened was there even a jetbridge at BFL.

So here I am, flying from glamorous San Diego to podunk Bakersfield - and yet I'm flying from the oldest passenger building on the grounds, walking out of the building onto the tarmac to board my plane (just like all BFL passengers used to have to do), arriving at old-school underserved BFL in a brand new facility, walking off of a jetbridge to the luggage carousel (still only one, but it worked perfectly!) and out into the spacious modern lobby of this beautiful and modern building. It was kind of bizarro world...

SANFan

Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:03 pm

Speaking of the somewhat 'bizarro" world that is today's civil aviation, it might be of interest to some out there that AS has indicated that they are re-entering the SAN-SMF market effective April 4, 2021!

The service has appeared this week in the schedules with 3x Daily EMJ service; so far, no formal announcement has been made by AS which worries me a bit -- whether the service will actually begin is the big question. We all saw what happened with SAN-SBA which was at one time due to commence last week and is now scheduled to start in March. On a positive note, FLL and CUN did start as announced and the Florida route is even set to expand with additional frequencies -- to 5X weekly -- in early 2021.

We've still got the new (announced) JAC and MSO routes to wonder about as well, plus SBP which stalled out quickly due to unfortunate timing. Hopefully, with a gaggle of COVID vaccines on their way, perhaps by next Spring air travel will start the long road to returning to some kind of 'normal'.

Alaska has certainly IMHO been the most aggressive carrier at SAN about getting existing routes up and running, and particularly with adding new ones! I commend them on their actions and commitment to San Diego. Once all their planned routes are up and operating AS will undoubtedly have more nonstop routes from SDIA than any other carrier, including WN!

bb

blacksoviet

Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:18 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Because there's room for nine hard stands, but there was never a need for more than four gates.

PSA's unofficial motto was "get 'em in, get 'em out, 'cause a plane on the ground isn't making any money". Once a plane arrived at a hard stand, the arriving passengers went directly to baggage claim and to the exit, while the departing group was called to their departing door. If the plane was in the west set of stands, passengers were checked out of either of the two doors on the west side, and vice-versa if a plane was parked on the east side.

I never had the chance to fly PSA, as I lived in Bakersfield until 1999, to which PSA never flew. However, when ExpressJet was flying independent-branded routes, I flew SAN-BFL to visit my family frequently, and I experienced the Commuter Terminal boarding process many times. I was always impressed that the airlines communicated with each other so that American Eagle, United Express, and ExpressJet co-existed side-by-side, without stepping on anyone's toes or interfering with operations at all.

The ultimate irony to me, though, is this: until 2005, BFL's air terminal was a modified temporary building that was little more than a quonsett hut with literally no services whatsoever. A really tragic symbol of an airport with the third-longest commercial runway in California having nearly non-existent passenger facilities to match its non-existent airline service. There wasn't even a luggage carousel built until 1985, after AA's MD80 service to DFW began. Not until 2005 when the beautiful (yet still under-utilized) new terminal opened was there even a jetbridge at BFL.

So here I am, flying from glamorous San Diego to podunk Bakersfield - and yet I'm flying from the oldest passenger building on the grounds, walking out of the building onto the tarmac to board my plane (just like all BFL passengers used to have to do), arriving at old-school underserved BFL in a brand new facility, walking off of a jetbridge to the luggage carousel (still only one, but it worked perfectly!) and out into the spacious modern lobby of this beautiful and modern building. It was kind of bizarro world...

How many baggage claims does the Commuter Terminal have?

Coronado990

Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:35 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

The "commuter terminal" that you describe is actually PSA's old maintenance hangar. Their flights arrived and departed the main terminal (now Terminal 1) just like the other airlines. My uncle was one of the head mechanics at PSA and I spent many hours climbing around Electra's, 727's, 737's and DC-9's. I was there when the L-1011 arrived. Great times.
SFO=NoCal LAX=SoCal SAN=LoCal

blacksoviet

Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:29 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

The "commuter terminal" that you describe is actually PSA's old maintenance hangar. Their flights arrived and departed the main terminal (now Terminal 1) just like the other airlines. My uncle was one of the head mechanics at PSA and I spent many hours climbing around Electra's, 727's, 737's and DC-9's. I was there when the L-1011 arrived. Great times.

Did you ever get to go downstairs on the L-1011?

ajlombardi2

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:53 pm

I took the southwest San-hnl on my way out to Maui last week. About 70 people on board with limited water and snack service. Have been waiting to fly out to the islands on wn for a long time from San. Hope we can get the OGG non stop added back in the future, but at least we have something. Connecting thru Sacramento on my way back from OGG. Anyway, glad I was finally able to try out this long awaited route!

Coronado990

Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:05 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Coronado990 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Did you ever get to go downstairs on the L-1011?

Yes I did. I remember some kind of lounge down there. I only saw it when it was at the hangar as they rarely flew it on the SAN routes. I think it came in once a week late at night from LAX for maintenance and that was about it.

hawaiian717

Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:47 pm

The comments above reflect my memories of using the commuter terminal starting in 1998. I mostly used it to LAX, but I did also use American Eagle to SJC a few times, and for a while to keep things confusing, Eagle operated LAX flights from the commuter terminal and SJC flights from terminal 2.

When I first started using it, American Eagle used gate 1, Trans States (flying as US Airways Express) used gate 2, while SkyWest used 3 and 4. I think 3 was for Delta Connection flights and 4 was United Express, but I could have it backwards. Later when Delta dropped SAN-LAX flying for a while SkyWest I think would use both 3 and 4 for United Express flights.

When landing at the commuter terminal you were directed to the baggage claim door and didn’t enter the departure lounge.

blacksoviet

Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:13 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
The comments above reflect my memories of using the commuter terminal starting in 1998. I mostly used it to LAX, but I did also use American Eagle to SJC a few times, and for a while to keep things confusing, Eagle operated LAX flights from the commuter terminal and SJC flights from terminal 2.

When I first started using it, American Eagle used gate 1, Trans States (flying as US Airways Express) used gate 2, while SkyWest used 3 and 4. I think 3 was for Delta Connection flights and 4 was United Express, but I could have it backwards. Later when Delta dropped SAN-LAX flying for a while SkyWest I think would use both 3 and 4 for United Express flights.

When landing at the commuter terminal you were directed to the baggage claim door and didn’t enter the departure lounge.

I almost forgot about US Airways Express. Where did they fly to? Did they have Jetstreams? I will try to find some photos in the database.

hawaiian717

Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:48 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
I almost forgot about US Airways Express. Where did they fly to? Did they have Jetstreams? I will try to find some photos in the database.

I only flew them between SAN and LAX. I don’t recall them flying anywhere else from SAN but they might have before I was here. They flew the Jetstream 32 (aka Jetstream Super 31) in their west coast operation.

blacksoviet

Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:00 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

I only flew them between SAN and LAX. I don’t recall them flying anywhere else from SAN but they might have before I was here. They flew the Jetstream 32 (aka Jetstream Super 31) in their west coast operation.

Why didn’t USAir codeshare with United Express on SAN-LAX? Weren’t they in the same alliance?

blacksoviet

Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:21 pm

Why did Doug Parker get rid of all of the Saabs that were flying to LAX?

hawaiian717

Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:12 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Why didn’t USAir codeshare with United Express on SAN-LAX? Weren’t they in the same alliance?

Not at the time. Trans States ended the US Airways Express flying out of LAX at the end of 1999. US Airways joined Star Alliance in 2004.

blacksoviet wrote:
Why did Doug Parker get rid of all of the Saabs that were flying to LAX?

Parker wasn’t involved. Eagle retired the SAAB 340 in 2008, but the US Airways merger with American didn’t happen until the end of 2013. I found one prior thread on Eagle’s 340 retirement and I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more: viewtopic.php?t=1355979

ggflyboy

Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:04 pm

Any scuttlebutt on the eventual return of BA? Flights are on the schedule starting in March, but I have no idea how serious they are. Would like to avoid paying a premium for a theoretical SAN-LHR nonstop this spring, only to find that I'm really going to be reaccommodated via DFW or PHL.

hawaiian717

Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Report on the first Alaska 737 MAX 9 flights which will include SAN:

[email protected] filed its first #737MAX 9 flights tonight.

First routes are SEA-LAX/SAN and PDX-LAX on March 1. First departure is AS1041 SEA-LAX at 07:15 followed by AS482 SEA-SAN, according to Cirium. $ALK

https://twitter.com/byerussell/status/1 ... 47232?s=21

Ishrion

Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:50 pm

Japan Airlines announces it'll resume NRT-SAN starting March 1, 2021 with a 3x weekly flight.

https://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/202012/005894.html

Coronado990

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:48 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Japan Airlines announces it'll resume NRT-SAN starting March 1, 2021 with a 3x weekly flight.

https://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/202012/005894.html

Yay! That's all I can say. I miss the intercontinentals.

SANFan

Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:14 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Coronado990 wrote:

I'll second that "Yay!" That's very nice to hear!!

In other good news, the OAG thread of the other day shows BA is currently planning on re-starting SAN in March also! Looking at the BA.com schedules, service appears to begin on Tu, 3/2 operating Tu, Th & Sa with the 787!

Checking the flights listed at LH.com, their SAN service appears to be re-starting on Su, 3/28 operating 5x weekly still with the A340; flights do not op on W or Sa. This schedule appears just the same as it was at the beginning of this year when things were still "normal". Let's hope it holds together.

In other news, DL is dropping SAN-LAX service in March leaving only UA in the market! Will someone else (cough cough* AS *cough) perhaps now decide to enter the market? Anybody see this great decrease in service as a problem?

A couple of AS updates: nonstops to JAC from SAN are now operating, in addition to the new flights to FLL and CUN. SAN-GEG is showing as upgraded to a 739 starting Jan 5 and MSO and SBA service are still expected to start around mid-March! And in April, AS will apparently re-enter the SAN-SMF market.

And don't forget, WN will start the first ever nonstop service to ORF in early January!

If everything holds up as planned, things are actually starting to head toward a return to the level of destinations-served last seen in early 2020! Frequencies and capacity obviously have a way to go but it looks like we might at least be headed in the right direction!

bb

Coronado990

Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:51 pm

SANFan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Coronado990 wrote:

In other good news, the OAG thread of the other day shows BA is currently planning on re-starting SAN in March also! Looking at the BA.com schedules, service appears to begin on Tu, 3/2 operating Tu, Th & Sa with the 787!

Checking the flights listed at LH.com, their SAN service appears to be re-starting on Su, 3/28 operating 5x weekly still with the A340; flights do not op on W or Sa. This schedule appears just the same as it was at the beginning of this year when things were still "normal". Let's hope it holds together.

In other news, DL is dropping SAN-LAX service in March leaving only UA in the market! Will someone else (cough cough* AS *cough) perhaps now decide to enter the market? Anybody see this great decrease in service as a problem?

A couple of AS updates: nonstops to JAC from SAN are now operating, in addition to the new flights to FLL and CUN. SAN-GEG is showing as upgraded to a 739 starting Jan 5 and MSO and SBA service are still expected to start around mid-March! And in April, AS will apparently re-enter the SAN-SMF market.

And don't forget, WN will start the first ever nonstop service to ORF in early January!

If everything holds up as planned, things are actually starting to head toward a return to the level of destinations-served last seen in early 2020! Frequencies and capacity obviously have a way to go but it looks like we might at least be headed in the right direction!

bb

I'll miss the 747's BA brought in here but if LH keeps bringing in the A340, I'm good! It's nice to see all the non-stop western regional markets pick up making LAX connections unnecessary. When I worked as a travel agent, I noticed the LAX connections mostly feed the Asian flights. I guess DL wants you to go thru SEA to get you to Asia now but a KE flight would really be more beneficial if you ask me. The lack of LAX flights would really be bad for South Pacific, New Zealand and Australia connections so a lot of people would probably end up driving. Unless....QF, NZ, TN or maybe even AF (CDG-SAN-PPT) makes SAN a port-of-call. Maybe the total absence of LAX flights would actually be a good thing and stimulate more direct international service (this goes to you CM).

SANFan

Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
It's nice to see all the non-stop western regional markets pick up making LAX connections unnecessary. When I worked as a travel agent, I noticed the LAX connections mostly feed the Asian flights. I guess DL wants you to go thru SEA to get you to Asia now but a KE flight would really be more beneficial if you ask me. The lack of LAX flights would really be bad for South Pacific, New Zealand and Australia connections so a lot of people would probably end up driving. Unless....QF, NZ, TN or maybe even AF (CDG-SAN-PPT) makes SAN a port-of-call.

With the destinations you mention, and some domestic ones as well, I just can't see a total lack of flights between SAN and LAX. I don't know about recently, but I remember only a few months ago (pre-COVID) seeing DL and perhaps even UA? running a (small a/c) mainline flight or 2 in the market at times. And as I've mentioned in other threads, there has to be a number of non-revs constantly flying back and forth between SAN and LAX including cockpit and cabin crews, mx and other ground personnel, plus perhaps small amounts of urgent belly cargo. With 2 large cities and their 2 major airports only 100 miles apart, it seems logical to assume there has to be a good amount of back-and-forth between them, in addition to the fairly consistent 60-70 PDEW O&D paying customers on the route.

It will be interesting to watch the future moves in the market. I can't foresee UA pulling out too but we never know. My gut tells me some additional carrier will enter the market in 2021, but that may have just been due to the bean burrito I recently ate...

bb

AAtakeMeAway

Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:33 pm

I would expect AA to be back on SAN-LAX once the overall overall air travel demand starts to pick up

SANFan

Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:04 am

Looks like our friends at AAG are still up to their old tricks. I just discovered on AS.com's flight schedules, the following:
Effective April 4, 2021 (Sun), Daily B739:
Dep SAN: 7:25am #392
Arr JFK: 3:55pm
...and
Dep JFK: 4:55pm #393
Arr SAN: 8:05pm! (Beautiful times for west coast based travellers... very AA-like and not very Blue-ish.)
No announcement. Just **poof** and it appears! In any case, this is a route I've hoped AS would take on for a few years now, and I'm thrilled its time has come.
Given that AA doesn't seem to know if they're in the market or not any more, and given that B6 is making lots of noise lately around So Cal -- including stepping on AS's toes in the SAN-EWR market -- I'm very happy to see AS jump on this route. (Maybe this will help AA decide whether they are in or out of SAN-JFK?)

Keep in mind that April 4 is supposed to be the re-starting of SAN-SMF by AS so this is looking like a fairly major schedule upgrade! Congrats to AS on these moves and I hope you will formally announce things eventually; I know we're not LAX but I think SAN deserves some PR too.

bb
:

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:41 pm

SANFan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Coronado990 wrote:

bb

I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel! Everything has been "on hold" during this time, and speculation has run rampant. But if indeed SAN sees a resumption of international services, a great big shuffle is going to occur as demand picks up, both domestically and internationally.

About a week or so ago, I tried starting a thread in Polls & Preferences about the future of LAX and SAN post-Covid and post-A380 service, trying to speculate what kind of planes will be replacing the A380 on many European routes, and how that might affect SAN. It didn't go anywhere, but I think that's because no one - including fleet planners and airline bean counters - knows what demand is going to look like. Of course, that was before a vaccine was approved and hope returned. But if SAN has been announced by all three major international carriers here, that means we're still on their radar, and I will cry tears of joy the day we see these planes in the sky!

So, a question: would the A350 be successful at SAN? Does it have the cargo capacity and performance abilities to fly SAN-FRA non-stop? Is this a future type we might see here?

AC4500

Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:06 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned here already, but I came across an addition from WN at SAN.

It looks like WN is resuming PDX-SAN at 4x weekly (Sun, Mon, Thu, Fri) starting March 11. Kind of an odd route to operate at just 4x weekly, but a logical route to resume in the current times nonetheless.

PDX-SAN: 8:00 AM - 10:25 AM | WN #1451 737-700
SAN-PDX: 3:55 PM - 6:25 PM | WN #1452 737-700

It's currently only scheduled for 1 month, ending on April 11, but they may schedule the route to continue operating past that date as WN updates their schedules over the coming months.

SANFan

Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:39 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Not sure if it's been mentioned here already, but I came across an addition from WN at SAN.

It looks like WN is resuming PDX-SAN at 4x weekly (Sun, Mon, Thu, Fri) starting March 11. Kind of an odd route to operate at just 4x weekly, but a logical route to resume in the current times nonetheless.

It's currently only scheduled for 1 month, ending on April 11, but they may schedule the route to continue operating past that date as WN updates their schedules over the coming months.

I assume this is an Easter/Spring Break add only. I think that's why there's so much additional flying from WN beginning 3/11; we also see TPA, ATL, & SJD operating for a short period of time on a limited basis in the 2nd half of March. As of now, as you mentioned, most of these routes go away again with the Apr 12 schedule that was just released last week.

PDX must have been a recent add since I didn't see it when I went thru the 3/11 skeds only about a week ago... I expect we will see things come and go a lot in the first half of next year,.

Oh yeah, SAN-ORF has now slipped to a March inaugural. It was supposed to premiere on Jan 5... Maybe by June, things will settle down a bit.

bb

Yahnih

Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:16 pm

WK is scheduled from June to September

Coronado990

Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:23 pm

Yahnih wrote:

No way! I thought I would never see them again. The more A340's the merrier.

Coronado990

Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:32 pm

AC4500 wrote:

Looks like this flight continues to ELP and back.

SANFan

Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:22 pm

Yahnih wrote:

Excellent find! So all 4 of our intercontinental cx are scheduled to return by next summer, plus AC is showing a return to both YVR & YYZ in February (per this week's OAG thread) so that leaves only WS as a real unknown although their booking engine shows SAN-YYC flights op'ing on Feb 5. (Although I personally don't find that to be very comforting or reliable as of now...) I can't even find any SAN-YVR flights on their summer skeds at this time.

Finally, the Swoop route map doesn't show SAN now and Air Transat has SAN listed as "an airport served in CA" but no other indication that they have any plans for service here at this time (from YUL.)

Of course none of this info we are compiling here means anything until the planes actually land in SAN so I suggest we all keep as many fingers crossed as we can manage!

bb

SANFan

Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:33 pm

I posted this on the AS Network thread and wanted to repeat it here for your thoughts on whether this policy of AS is a concern or not.

It appears that AS here is not towing the a/c over to the AS terminal in T2E for their onward departure. In other words AS is having the a/c that arrive from Mexico (SJD, PVR & CUN), using the FIS gates in T2W, e.g. 48, 49, are staying put and using that same gate for their departing flight. (The CUN arrival simply turns and heads back to CUN while the other arrivals continue on currently to SEA, as different flight numbers.)

Any idea if this a cost-savings measure, or time crunch situation (which it doesn't appear to be), or perhaps done to simply reduce airside congestion? Is it happening at other AS stations with int'l flights?

I would think it would be somewhat confusing for AS pax. For example, today, Sunday, 2 of SAN's 7 SEA departures will leave from T2W, as did the CUN departure -- from gate 48 or 49. As we all know, AS's ticket lobby and gates are in T2E. It's not an impossible trek from T2E to the far west end of T2W but I wonder why it's now being done that way? A pax departing for SEA and in a time crunch, suddenly finds that their flight is departing SDIA at gate 49, rather than gate 22 which is right around the corner (via the TSA checkpoint) from the AS ticket counter!

Also, I can see some instances where connecting pax at SAN might find they have a bit of a walk from the AS terminal to the far west end of the next terminal, T2W. E.g., someone connecting in SAN from FAT to CUN will have an unexpected walk; a connector from AUS to SEA could have the same long walk...

Just curious what others here think about this situation. We have a kind of similar situation over at WN where someone making a connection can find they have to change from T1E to T1W and reclear TSA. Is SAN getting a bad rep as a connecting airport or is this situation not as big a problem as I imagine it's becoming? As a relatively small airport, we should be a great place to change planes without fear of missing a connection...

Your thoughts.

bb

WN732

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am

SANFan wrote:
I posted this on the AS Network thread and wanted to repeat it here for your thoughts on whether this policy of AS is a concern or not.

It appears that AS here is not towing the a/c over to the AS terminal in T2E for their onward departure. In other words AS is having the a/c that arrive from Mexico (SJD, PVR & CUN), using the FIS gates in T2W, e.g. 48, 49, are staying put and using that same gate for their departing flight. (The CUN arrival simply turns and heads back to CUN while the other arrivals continue on currently to SEA, as different flight numbers.)

Any idea if this a cost-savings measure, or time crunch situation (which it doesn't appear to be), or perhaps done to simply reduce airside congestion? Is it happening at other AS stations with int'l flights?

I would think it would be somewhat confusing for AS pax. For example, today, Sunday, 2 of SAN's 7 SEA departures will leave from T2W, as did the CUN departure -- from gate 48 or 49. As we all know, AS's ticket lobby and gates are in T2E. It's not an impossible trek from T2E to the far west end of T2W but I wonder why it's now being done that way? A pax departing for SEA and in a time crunch, suddenly finds that their flight is departing SDIA at gate 49, rather than gate 22 which is right around the corner (via the TSA checkpoint) from the AS ticket counter!

Also, I can see some instances where connecting pax at SAN might find they have a bit of a walk from the AS terminal to the far west end of the next terminal, T2W. E.g., someone connecting in SAN from FAT to CUN will have an unexpected walk; a connector from AUS to SEA could have the same long walk...

Just curious what others here think about this situation. We have a kind of similar situation over at WN where someone making a connection can find they have to change from T1E to T1W and reclear TSA. Is SAN getting a bad rep as a connecting airport or is this situation not as big a problem as I imagine it's becoming? As a relatively small airport, we should be a great place to change planes without fear of missing a connection...

Your thoughts.

bb

I personally feel that the WN connections are way more of a sore point than anything in T2 just due to the security re-clearance. T2 is not really that large when compared to the walks that you might have to do in places like ATL. So even though it could be a bit confusing it's still not as bad as what's going on in T1.

SANMAN66

Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:13 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
So, a question: would the A350 be successful at SAN? Does it have the cargo capacity and performance abilities to fly SAN-FRA non-stop? Is this a future type we might see here?

My guess is that LH would use the A330, since it's already been used as an occasional sub, but I'm anticipating the return of the A340s. At this juncture, I'll be happy at whatever the international airlines decide to send our way! I really miss the intl flights!
PSA Gives you a lift!

PSAatSAN4Ever

Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:49 pm

SANMAN66 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

My guess is that LH would use the A330, since it's already been used as an occasional sub, but I'm anticipating the return of the A340s. At this juncture, I'll be happy at whatever the international airlines decide to send our way! I really miss the intl flights!

I did a dummy booking on LH (Finally!!) for September/October of this year, and it shows two daily 748's LAX-FRA, one A350 LAX-MUC, and SAN-FRA on the A340-300. Oh, what light at the end of tunnel we see!! And to be re-loaded this soon indicates a level of commitment all of our international services seem very confident in.

But I would also guess that given the loss in capacity of the 380 fleet, other types will remain for an extended period of time. The retirement of the A340-300 will, in the short term, be postponed until a suitable replacement is acquired. Which leads to the next question: can an A330 fly SAN-FRA fully loaded with a belly full of cargo? Yes, it has been done as a substitution, but can this plane manage this route reliably? I mean, we all know anything left behind loses money...

And this is where LH's fleet planners have got a LOT of work ahead of them. Will the A350 remain a MUC-only type? What other types will LH bring into its fleet? How long is it going to take them to add new planes and/or swap out older planes once travel resumes again?

And, just because I have started to have hope again: here's my SAN international dream list:

AC: daily+ YVR-SAN and YYZ-SAN CR9 & A319/320/321
JL: daily NRT-SAN 787
KL: daily ICN-SAN 787
CM: daily PTY-SAN 737
BA: daily LHR-SAN 777-300

Star Alliance:
LH 247 FRA-SAN A343
LH 36 MUC-SAN A350
WK 15 ZRH-SAN A343 or LX 777-300

And if the LH group can't make ZRH work, extra frequencies to FRA and MUC. As long as it remains daily. But I'm being a wish pig, I know.

SkyTeam:
AF 136 CDG-SAN 777-300
KL 2457 AMS-SAN 787

SANMAN66

Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:21 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
But I would also guess that given the loss in capacity of the 380 fleet, other types will remain for an extended period of time. The retirement of the A340-300 will, in the short term, be postponed until a suitable replacement is acquired. Which leads to the next question: can an A330 fly SAN-FRA fully loaded with a belly full of cargo? Yes, it has been done as a substitution, but can this plane manage this route reliably? I mean, we all know anything left behind loses money...

You have a point there! I so much want to see the A340s return, but an A350 would be great also. I'm sort of glad that the airlines are phasing out the A380s I always thought they were ugly looking planes! I'll take 747s over the A380s anytime! (747s are far more elegant!) I love your wish list! For the next airline to offer European service, it just has to be AF or KLM. It also looks like Korean is merging with Asiana, so hopefully new destinations (hopefully SAN comes up) is on the list.
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:37 pm

WN732 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
It appears that AS here is not towing the a/c over to the AS terminal in T2E for their onward departure.
We have a kind of similar situation over at WN where someone making a connection can find they have to change from T1E to T1W and reclear TSA. Is SAN getting a bad rep as a connecting airport or is this situation not as big a problem as I imagine it's becoming? As a relatively small airport, we should be a great place to change planes without fear of missing a connection...
Your thoughts.

I personally feel that the WN connections are way more of a sore point than anything in T2 just due to the security re-clearance. T2 is not really that large when compared to the walks that you might have to do in places like ATL. So even though it could be a bit confusing it's still not as bad as what's going on in T1.

I totally agree WN'. The situation with WN working out of both rotundas in T1 is terrible and I've been saying that ever since they began using gates in T1W. At least currently, it appears WN is using T1W only occasionally (for overflow) and they don't appear to be using gates 1 & 1A at all. (And gate 2 is gone for good.) So for the time being, due to the extensive cuts that WN has made due both to COVID as well as the downgrade of SAN to a lesser/smaller station, the majority of their ops are arriving and departing at T1E.

Whether the daily flight count for WN will increase back to where we were earlier in 2020 (almost 130 flights to ~33 destinations) remains to be seen. Perhaps WN's plan is to keep the numbers of flights depressed until the new Terminal 1 replacement is up and operating. Whenever that actually happens. But if flights do increase and more depart from T1W, it will be awful if the airport and/or WN do nothing to improve the inter-rotunda connection issue that exists. (I have always thought a small bus running back and forth as needed between T1W and T1E would be the logical solution.

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
And, just because I have started to have hope again: here's my SAN international dream list:
AC: daily+ YVR-SAN and YYZ-SAN CR9 & A319/320/321
JL: daily NRT-SAN 787
KE: daily ICN-SAN 787
CM: daily PTY-SAN 737
BA: daily LHR-SAN 777-300
...Star Alliance:
LH 247 FRA-SAN A343
LH 36 MUC-SAN A350
WK 15 ZRH-SAN A343 or LX 777-300
...SkyTeam:
AF 136 CDG-SAN 777-300
KL 2457 AMS-SAN 787

Quite a list there PSA' but you did refer to it as a "dream list" so by definition, there's no limit on its size! I certainly would say my wish list would not be much different!

Unfortunately, with the new highly transmissible COVID mutation in Great Britain, BA (and other European flights?) might be further delayed. I sure hope not. Especially if the current vaccines work against the new strains of the virus, we may luck out and BA will be able to start flying to SAN as currently planned -- in early March. Otherwise, here we go again...?

That being said, hopefully we need patience for only a few more months before we see things starting up. One thing I am very happy to see is that there seems no doubt that ALL of our previous-to-COVID int'l flag cx -- AC, WS, BA, JL, LH & WK seem totally committed to staying in SAN and getting back to flying ASAP. That to me speaks of the solid footing that all the cx have here in America's Finest City! That situation helps keep me optimistic even during the horrible year we are almost done with.

And btw, our only other int'l service provider, AS, is leading the pack by not only maintaining (read: operating) their previous Mexico routes, but increasing them with the addition of CUN service last month! Currently, AS is the only airline providing any int'l arrivals at SAN and the pax numbers are growing nicely every month!

bb

MAH4546

Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:08 pm

Lufthansa has not loaded its schedule past 28-Feb-2021. Anything past that is the default schedule that was originally planned for W21/S20 (this includes winter seasonal routes which are still in GDS as resuming 01-Mar only to end a few weeks later. We all know those won’t resume). Only BA has loaded a somewhat “locked” (but well, still nor) schedule for S21 of the major Euro airlines.
a.

SANFan

Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:33 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Lufthansa has not loaded its schedule past 28-Feb-2021. Anything past that is the default schedule that was originally planned for W21/S20 (this includes winter seasonal routes which are still in GDS as resuming 01-Mar only to end a few weeks later. We all know those won’t resume).

Then I have a question for you MAH'. Regarding LH at SAN, what about the month of March? (I am assuming you meant in your second sentence "originally planned for W20/S21"?)

In my post #729 up-thread, I mention that LH flight schedules currently show SAN-service starting on March 28, 2021. LH has served SAN year-round since their inaugural here in March of 2018 and I assume that was to continue in the future. What about next Spring between Mar 1 and Mar 27? If, as you say, everything beyond Feb 28 is only an old default sked, then why isn't there any (previous) SAN service for the majority of March? Why is it not showing as starting until the end of the month?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. Please clarify.

bb

MAH4546

Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:22 am

SANFan wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Lufthansa has not loaded its schedule past 28-Feb-2021. Anything past that is the default schedule that was originally planned for W21/S20 (this includes winter seasonal routes which are still in GDS as resuming 01-Mar only to end a few weeks later. We all know those won’t resume).

Then I have a question for you MAH'. Regarding LH at SAN, what about the month of March? (I am assuming you meant in your second sentence "originally planned for W20/S21"?)

In my post #729 up-thread, I mention that LH flight schedules currently show SAN-service starting on March 28, 2021. LH has served SAN year-round since their inaugural here in March of 2018 and I assume that was to continue in the future. What about next Spring between Mar 1 and Mar 27? If, as you say, everything beyond Feb 28 is only an old default sked, then why isn't there any (previous) SAN service for the majority of March? Why is it not showing as starting until the end of the month?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. Please clarify.

bb

Back a few months ago LH removed many destinations for the entire winter timetable, including SAN. Then later it became apparent the W20/21 schedule was too optimistic so they started paring that down, but oddly only through 28-Feb-2021.
a.

vedatil4

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Mexico news is reporting that Volaris secured the IATA code TJX to be used at Tijuana airport. The goal is to make transferring to San Diego using the CBX bridge somehow easier. I know they're building an "in-transit" terminal right now. Can someone fill us in on the significance of getting this IATA code? It seems like formal recognition to make travel easier. I imagine having a Beijing-TJX ticket as opposed to a Beijing-TIJ ticket will mean you're really headed to San Diego or California and there's no need for Mexico customs or immigration.