Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FluidFlow

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:05 am

Bhoy wrote:
FluidFlow wrote:
This is only good if you do not buy duty free items. But it is definitely an option.

I don’t think it makes any difference to duty free; your boarding pass will still say where the flight officially goes to/from (ie either BSL or MLH) to differentiate between Switzerland/France. There are no Airlines that have check-in on both sides of the border who’d differentiate, and if your concern is importing stuff to France as a Swiss resident, use the exit from baggage reclaim on the Swiss side through Swiss Customs, and walk across the open border upstairs in departures.

I suppose one thing if flights (on paper) moved from the Swiss side to the french to avoid this Swiss CO2 tax, your Boarding Pass would say destination MLH and you couldn’t get duty free on your inbound flight from anywhere in the EU.

That's true never thought of the walk in the departure area. I know that there is an arrival duty free but only on the Swiss side.

We will see how it will be implemented, it will not be simple for EAP but governments always find a way to collect a tax.

LX2990

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:55 am

Capricorn wrote:
Especially given that by the end of this decade (2028) BSL should also have a direct train station at the air port (1st source below.

But don't expect that much and the last word isn't spoken that it will be build. It will be, i would say, a trainstation light. It will be only for regional service (S-Bahn and TER 200) with four train per hour. So there will be no train IC, IR or TGV direct to or via EuroAirport Basel. Passenger from further away as per example Berne or Lucerne has to change the train in Basel SBB mainstation as they have to do now to the bus service.

http://www.eapbyrail.org/de/das-projekt ... altestelle

And about the tax discussion. Don't forget that France has also a tax (Taxe de solidarité sur les billets d’avion)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solidarit ... ne_tickets

Capricorn

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:42 pm

Sure, France has an air-ticket tax just like Switzerland does, but it is substantially cheaper, especially for long haul flights. What should not be forgotten is, that general airport charges are already substantially cheaper at BSL/MLH than at ZRH. Therefore U2 years ago decided to establish a base at BSL rather than ZRH (Source below). Therefore, the already cheaper airport fees coupled with the substantially higher Swiss air-ticked tax will lead to a comparative advantage of BSL in the lower yielding LCC / leisure traffic, the backbone of business at EPA. As of now BSL and ZRH are not competing for the same traffic and IMO even after the air ticket tax, if it eventually will be enacted, will not suddenly and substantial change to a large degree. But BSL or rather MLH will have an advantage for some traffic.

Airport Fees at EPA, in English (need to download)
https://www.euroairport.com/en/business ... tions.html

Airport Fees at ZRH, in English (need to download)
https://www.zurich-airport.com/business ... 1595939063

hervebkk

Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:18 pm

I noticed a few A330 (HB-JHB, JHC, JHD, JHH, JHI) and another A320 (HB-IJP) were ferried to AMM on July 31st. HB-JDB (A320N) went to AMM and returned to ZRH to bring back the crews obviousely. Anyone knows what are the middle / long term plans for the stored A330 especially? The majority is now stored in the desert, whearas the whole A340 and B777 fleet are operating. I doubt the stored A320s will see Switzerland again, but I would be surprised about the A330.

If anyone has some insider info....

DALCE

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:25 am

Well, it makes sense to park them in AMM due to the local climate and the fact that LX does their heavy MX in AMM. They will probably return when demand is requiring the frames to come back to ZRH.
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

SRGVA67

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:31 am

After BSL and LUG, LX will start putting flight numbers on some trains services between GVA and ZRH for connecting passengers. ( Source DPTS.org and LX booking site ). Concession to to Green Party after obtaining government grants ? Looking at the current LX network from GVA, it will not amount to much when the bucket and spade destinations are gone and LX will be concentrating on providing connecting services via FRA, MUC and ZRH. Until the Corona crisis, the majority of passengers transferred at ZRH, but I doubt this will be the case if passengers have to start with a 3 hour train trip to ZRH. Looks to me as if they are about to penalise their own hub as I can immagine that people rather use non-stop services provided by other airlines than travel by train to ZRH first to catch a LX flight.

Theotime74

Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:33 am

Maybe but there were 8 flights a day pre Covid, for less than half an hour of flying that was a complete non sense ecologically...
Geneva has already a wide range of non stop European destination mainly by LX and EZS so I don't think there will be major drop in demand...

SRGVA67

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:03 pm

Theotime74 wrote:
Maybe but there were 8 flights a day pre Covid, for less than half an hour of flying that was a complete non sense ecologically...
Geneva has already a wide range of non stop European destination mainly by LX and EZS so I don't think there will be major drop in demand...

Agreed that ecologically it didn't make sense but 90% of passengers continued beyond ZRH, so these flights were not really meant for domestic traffic. I personally think that LX will suffer from this decision as GVA has a high yield market with all the international organisations and I'm not sure all these people want to start their trip to NRT,PVG,SFO etc with a 3 hour rail trip ( or the other way around of course ). It may be acceptable to some passengers travelling without baggage, but I think the majority will avoid ZRH and travel on other airlines or via the other LH STAR hubs. Considering that before covid there were daily flights to JFK (LX) and IAD/EWR ( both UA ) with heavy high yield traffic, does LX really think that these passengers will take a train to ZRH ? I certainly wouldn't.

Panagiotis

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:26 pm

SRGVA67 wrote:
Theotime74 wrote:

Agreed that ecologically it didn't make sense but 90% of passengers continued beyond ZRH, so these flights were not really meant for domestic traffic. I personally think that LX will suffer from this decision as GVA has a high yield market with all the international organisations and I'm not sure all these people want to start their trip to NRT,PVG,SFO etc with a 3 hour rail trip ( or the other way around of course ). It may be acceptable to some passengers travelling without baggage, but I think the majority will avoid ZRH and travel on other airlines or via the other LH STAR hubs. Considering that before covid there were daily flights to JFK (LX) and IAD/EWR ( both UA ) with heavy high yield traffic, does LX really think that these passengers will take a train to ZRH ? I certainly wouldn't.

Don't you wonder why they had 8 flights a day ? Maybe because it was profitable with all the connexions they offered. With the actual situation it doesn't make any sense to keep as much flights because they can't fill them. A 30 min flight with 10 passengers is a complete nonsense ecologically but if it is full I don't see the nonsense.
LX doesn't want to lose all passengers from GVA because it will then have an impact on there flights out of ZRH. Offering a codeshare with rail service might be their best option considering the situation they are facing.

DALCE

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:29 pm

In these times I hardly fins it surprising. It is no secret that longhaul traffic has basically been put to a standstil due to CoVid-19. Airlines have to be very creative nowadays to serve with a network, and this train option might be a terrible option, but at least it is an option. I doubt that GVA will see other airlines starting a lot of direct flights in the coming years.

panamair

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:34 pm

FYI, it looks like GVA-JFK has been suspended for the whole winter season; it is currently scheduled for a summer 2021 restart (end of March 2021).

DUSZRH

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:38 pm

The wider picture looks like that LH Group is trying to route connecting passengers via Hubs that offer a larger O&D amount. LEJ is losing flights to FRA (replaced by trains). So people have to transit in MUC/VIE or take the train to FRA. NUE/STR are losing flights to MUC. So they have to connect in FRA/VIE/ZRH. GVA is losing (some) flights to ZRH. But LHG still offers connections via FRA/MUC/VIE/BRU.

Let’s see how that strategy plans out.

(In Austria SZG (already) and GRZ look like they’ll lose VIE access. As a connecting passenger, depending on your destination I don’t see so much an issue.)

jghealey

Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:15 pm

This makes perfect sense practically and ecologically. A 3hr rail trip really isn't so bad considering that you have to arrive at the airport at least an hour or two before - the timing works out about the same. Many people also would probably rather travel by rail due to greater facilities, more views, etc. It can also take you right from the city centre in Geneva so no time wasted travelling to the airport.

davidjohnson6

Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:20 pm

People travelling in economy class for leisure tend to have a different perspective to those travelling on company expense in premium classes
It is worth remembering as well, that Geneva airport is very close to the city centre - under 15 mins by road

SRGVA67

Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:28 pm

DALCE wrote:
In these times I hardly fins it surprising. It is no secret that longhaul traffic has basically been put to a standstil due to CoVid-19. Airlines have to be very creative nowadays to serve with a network, and this train option might be a terrible option, but at least it is an option. I doubt that GVA will see other airlines starting a lot of direct flights in the coming years.

I don't think there is a need for other airlines to start flying to GVA if those which have suspended their services resume them again. Except for JFK and 1 or 2 Greek island destinations, all other LX destinations are already covered by other airlines, so really no need for LX at GVA. JFK was their only longhaul flight from GVA, and if if is cancelled for good, which I fear it is, it will be the only real loss.This would probably be within the STAR strategy which could possibly also mean that UA flights would not be resumed. I just can't see them to be able to reroute these 400-500 passengers whcih used UA and LX before the Covid19 by train via ZRH. This could possibly offer another American airline to take over if demand picks up again, but as far as Europe is concerned, no need for extra capacity.

jghealey

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:11 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
People travelling in economy class for leisure tend to have a different perspective to those travelling on company expense in premium classes
It is worth remembering as well, that Geneva airport is very close to the city centre - under 15 mins by road

Surely the vast majority of the traffic via ZRH is longhaul anyway. Most destinations are covered by GVA already with direct flights so there would be no need to transit elsewhere for the regular economy passenger.

Worth pointing out though that although GVA is close to the city, you either need to pay for parking (at exorbitant cost) or hire a taxi regardless of where you're coming from. It's surely easier to catch a train from the city centre if you do choose to transit.

LucaDiMontanari

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:36 pm

jghealey wrote:
Surely the vast majority of the traffic via ZRH is longhaul anyway. Most destinations are covered by GVA already with direct flights so there would be no need to transit elsewhere for the regular economy passenger.

Worth pointing out though that although GVA is close to the city, you either need to pay for parking (at exorbitant cost) or hire a taxi regardless of where you're coming from. It's surely easier to catch a train from the city centre if you do choose to transit.

You're right in so far, that we are talking here mostly about destinations that have no nonstop flight to Geneva and there mostly long haul, so the leisure pax that do not like to transit are out of this equation anyway. But there is a big mistake in the picture: you can catch a train from the city center - and be at GVA airport in six [6!] minutes, without any parking fees at all. At the moment one has the choice to transit in ZRH, FRA, CDG, LHR and also places like DXB and a couple more I forgot about. If Zurich is out of the equation, there are still plenty of options.

A 3 hour train ride is a perfectly fine replacement for a P2P traveller, but when it comes to connections the train starts to loose after little more than an hour. One need to be at the airport like 90 minutes in advance anyway - but would one really consider three hours in a train as more convenient and more comfortable, than a 45 minute flight and a 45 minute transit? To believe, trains are a good replacement on that route for people heading elsewhere than Zurich, is the digested remainders of cattle farming, to stay polite. It is necessary to know, that Switzerlands "long haul" trains cannot be compared to, let's say an Eurostar or TGV. They are little more than a faster-than-usual S-Bahn in terms of comfort and service (I use them ever day commuting to work, so let's consider this opinion as experience-based :duck: ).

To put some numbers in the game: last year there were 315'581 passengers from GVA to ZRH and 313'039 in the opposite direction. From those were a mere 40'552 and 15'765 actual domestic travellers per direction. And how many of them might have been non-revs, read deadheading Swiss crews? As one can see, the domestic passengers already use the train. If just even 20% of todays transit pax actually will take the train in future (which I doubt that it will be so much), there are still short of a half million passengers no longer flying LX, but rather LH in the best case. But also the likes of AF-KLM, British Airways and of course the ME3 will be pleased to take their share.

Bhoy

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:02 pm

SRGVA67 wrote:
JFK was their only longhaul flight from GVA, and if if is cancelled for good, which I fear it is, it will be the only real loss.This would probably be within the STAR strategy which could possibly also mean that UA flights would not be resumed. I just can't see them to be able to reroute these 400-500 passengers whcih used UA and LX before the Covid19 by train via ZRH.

Does GVA-JFK not mostly live off UN traffic between the UN Sites in Geneva and the lower East side (which therefore means routing via EWR isn’t quite as fast), with additional local traffic, too.

I basically can’t see the route being cancelled permanently.

SRGVA67

Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:32 am

Bhoy wrote:
SRGVA67 wrote:
JFK was their only longhaul flight from GVA, and if if is cancelled for good, which I fear it is, it will be the only real loss.This would probably be within the STAR strategy which could possibly also mean that UA flights would not be resumed. I just can't see them to be able to reroute these 400-500 passengers whcih used UA and LX before the Covid19 by train via ZRH.

Does GVA-JFK not mostly live off UN traffic between the UN Sites in Geneva and the lower East side (which therefore means routing via EWR isn’t quite as fast), with additional local traffic, too.

I basically can’t see the route being cancelled permanently.

I sincerely hope you're right, but the LH group will try to concentrate it's longhaul ops to it's hubs which GVA isn't. The fact that the GVA-JFK flight has always been considered as the most profitable LX longhaul flight but was the first one to be cancelled when the Covid crisis broke out shows that decisions are taken in FRA and not in GVA or ZRH. Consolidation is today's priority and if LH group doesn't offer any BER/DUS/HAM flights to JFK, how can they seriously justify a GVA operation ? To my knowledge, GVA was the only non-hub longhaul operation by LH group ( correct me if I'm wrong ), so they might consider the Covid crisis an opportunity to pull the plug for good.

urbanflyer

Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:46 pm

The train is not going to replace all flights between GVA and ZRH. LX will keep certain flights to connect to longhaul departures. Just not at the current frequency.

Fliplot

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Why cancel something so profitable?

Fliplot

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:06 pm

RvA

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:18 pm

Fliplot wrote:

In the foreseeable future it doesn’t make sense to operate. The aircraft and crew are Zürich based I believe. That and with huge lack of demand it probably means they’re better off losing some customers, while rerouting others via Zürich rather than try to keep this route alive for the time being, likely at a loss. So I think anyway.

lowwkjax

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:35 pm

Governments in Austria and most likely other places as well demanded short(est) flights to be suspended and replaced by rail services in exchange for some cash and loans. What’s happening now, at least what I see, is that LHG is acting accordingly but not really since the short flights are indeed being replaced, but instead of flying SZG-VIE or GVA-ZRH, pax are just routed through other hubs where flights are long enough for the governments. People still using the plane, still using LHG, just different hubs, voila.

Panagiotis

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:35 pm

RvA wrote:
Fliplot wrote:

In the foreseeable future it doesn’t make sense to operate. The aircraft and crew are Zürich based I believe. That and with huge lack of demand it probably means they’re better off losing some customers, while rerouting others via Zürich rather than try to keep this route alive for the time being, likely at a loss. So I think anyway.

They still need some flights for aircraft rotations between the two bases. And cockpit crew operating out of GVA are all from ZRH, which means that they will need to come with the train to GVA to operate most of their flights

Bhoy

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:32 pm

Panagiotis wrote:
RvA wrote:

They still need some flights for aircraft rotations between the two bases. And cockpit crew operating out of GVA are all from ZRH, which means that they will need to come with the train to GVA to operate most of their flights

That’s what they did out of BSL before closing that Station. In the 90s, there were 3 or 4 round trips a day BSL-ZRH, but towards the end, it was down to a single 6am BSL-ZRH and a 10:35pm ZRH-BSL flight. The crews were all ZRH based, so were put up in Hotels in BSL (80km from their home base) for their 3 or 4 day tours, with positioning via Train as required. Aircraft were also rotated via outstations, so you’d frequently find that the inbound Aircraft from ZRH was outbound to BSL and vice versa at LCY.
In the last year of operations at BSL, the direct flight to ZRH was removed from sale.

RvA

Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:54 pm

Panagiotis wrote:
RvA wrote:
Fliplot wrote:

Flights between ZRH-GVA yes, but GVA-JFK-ZRH-JFK-GVA etc isn’t needed is it?

asuflyer

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:36 pm

JFK-GVA is supported by corporate contracts year round and boosted by leisure travelers in the summer season. The UN, McKinsey and others that support this flight are not allowing NYC employees travel for work reasons. In Switzerland many employers have barred from travel to the US. The flight will come back once corporate demand resumes. There is zero leisure demand at the moment. The LX pilots do not take the train to GVA, They either deadhead to and from ZRH on an LX flight or sometimes they are scheduled a ZRH-JFK-GVA-JFK-ZRH routing. Also some of the A330 pilots live and are from the Swiss Romandie even though they are based in ZRH.

RainerBoeing777

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:25 am

Will LX still have plans to fly to IAD? According to the Dulles Airport website, operations begin on April 1, 2021

https://www.flydulles.com/iad/dulles-international-returning-airlines#swiss%7C
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

LXA340

Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:17 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Will LX still have plans to fly to IAD? According to the Dulles Airport website, operations begin on April 1, 2021

https://www.flydulles.com/iad/dulles-international-returning-airlines#swiss%7C

Once travel restrictions are lifted and demand will require it to support 2 daily flights (one by UA) LX likely will start to fly again to IAD (after they stoped many years ago). However if we will see the route relaunched in 1 or 3 years will depend on how the aviation world will develop post COVID. Predictions so far are to expect demand to reach levels pre COVID by 2024 and some months ago this was still 2023. We need to hope that things will go into the good direction much faster, but currently it looks rather later than sooner.

Bhoy

Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Swiss took delivery of their first A321neo, HB-JPA, today.

https://twitter.com/flyswiss/status/130 ... 97888?s=21

DALCE

Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:30 am

currently enroute to AMM are HB- IJO,JHJ, JHK, IOH,IOL & IOF, probably to sit out winter in the dry climate. HB-JDB is also enroute to AMM to pick up the crews and return them to base.
So 1x 320, 2x 333 & 3x 321 out of the active fleet for the time being.

hervebkk

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:32 am

DALCE wrote:
currently enroute to AMM are HB- IJO,JHJ, JHK, IOH,IOL & IOF, probably to sit out winter in the dry climate. HB-JDB is also enroute to AMM to pick up the crews and return them to base.
So 1x 320, 2x 333 & 3x 321 out of the active fleet for the time being.

The vast majority of Swiss' A333 are now sitting in AMM (10 if I'm correct). I wonder why Swiss didn't keep more A333 flying instead of 77Ws since the passenger capacity is not really need at the moment. If only for Cargo the A333 also have quite some space in the belly, does this justify flying most longhaul destinations with 77Ws? (plus 5 A343).

There is a high chance that the 3 A321s on their way will never see Switzerland anymore given their age, same for all 320s already parked in AMM....

DALCE

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:47 am

hervebkk wrote:
The vast majority of Swiss' A333 are now sitting in AMM (10 if I'm correct). I wonder why Swiss didn't keep more A333 flying instead of 77Ws since the passenger capacity is not really need at the moment. If only for Cargo the A333 also have quite some space in the belly, does this justify flying most longhaul destinations with 77Ws? (plus 5 A343).

this is purely cargo demand, the 77W hauls 5 PMC's more cargo than the 330's. this is also around 25000kgs of extra payload.
3 77W's also have the Y-seats removed for extra cargo capacity.
The 340's have more range than the 330's hence the preference for the 340's ( range vs. cargo payload )

All types have more than sufficient seats to accomodate needs, it's cargo that drives the LX longhaul network nowadays.

Blerg

Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:36 am

Air Serbia has silently boosted BEG-ZRH from 14 to 18 weekly flights. Triple daily flights take place on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Flights are already in the system.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos