Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
737max8
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: WN could cut service to some cities without additional COVID-19 aid

Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:45 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
737max8 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

That’s not why Southwest is starting flights to Miami.


No, but it's an added benefit. Now they don't have to ferry in planes and crews at a cost, they can come in and leave on revenue generating flights.

Terminating flight -> Hangar

Plane out of the hangar -> Originating flight the next morning

It’s such an overstated thing though. It’s an afterthought if anything. They don’t have so many aircraft going into heavy maintenance on any given day that it’s a huge money saver.

Unless they are literally putting an aircraft into a check everyday and taking one out everyday you aren’t gaining anything. And what do you do if they find something that causes the check to go long? It ruins the schedule for the day it was due unless you have a spare available. Then you lose your cost savings by ferrying an aircraft in to cover for the one still in check.

MIA service is all about serving MIA.


If the check goes long, the swap in the line just happens later...still no need to ferry. Once again, it's not the reason, but it still plays in to things. Even Gary mentioned it in the announcement.

mcdu wrote:
737max8 wrote:
mcdu wrote:

You mentioned “overstated brand loyalty “ and it is obvious the same can be said about WN on this website. In the case of Hawaii those in my neighborhood and friends are circling the wagons around local establishments as a result pandemic.

Guess we will know SWA’s plan in the near future.


Good thing there are a lot more people in the world than your friends. And those people will fly Southwest with their low fares, friendly service, and FREE bags.


But how many people live in Hawaii? Tourist do a smattering of inter island flying. SW needs the local traffic and there is a push to buy local right now.

Again we will see. A carry on will often suffice for island travelers. Free surfboards and you might get some takers.


Your friends wanting to buy local doesn't represent the entire islands population. Also surfboards do fly free on WN interisland.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3354
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:51 pm

Southwest adds daily CVG-HOU from November 5

https://www.cvgairport.com/about/news/2 ... nd-houston
 
737max8
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Southwest adds daily CVG-HOU from November 5

https://www.cvgairport.com/about/news/2 ... nd-houston


Nice!!! Been waiting on a CVG connection to Texas.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Southwest adds daily CVG-HOU from November 5

https://www.cvgairport.com/about/news/2 ... nd-houston


More than CVG, looks like GSP, CLE, ICT, DTW, & TUS
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
swacle
Posts: 536
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:05 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Southwest adds daily CVG-HOU from November 5

https://www.cvgairport.com/about/news/2 ... nd-houston


More than CVG, looks like GSP, CLE, ICT, DTW, & TUS


Not sure about the others but CLE is holiday weeks only right now, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32
 
Lilj4425
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:49 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:40 pm

swacle wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Southwest adds daily CVG-HOU from November 5

https://www.cvgairport.com/about/news/2 ... nd-houston


More than CVG, looks like GSP, CLE, ICT, DTW, & TUS


Not sure about the others but CLE is holiday weeks only right now, Thanksgiving and Christmas.


GSP will be on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays: https://www.gspairport.com/c0/southwest ... ce-to-hou/
 
User avatar
NWAROOSTER
Posts: 1374
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:29 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:58 pm

737max8 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Why does Southwest refuse to sell the 717 fleet to Delta? Is leasing more profitable?


Pretty sure AirTran leased them from Boeing, and Delta is a sublease.

Southwest can't sell them, they don't own them.


Delta does sublease the 717s with the right to purchase them or extend the leases possibly on a month to month basis. My feeling is Delta will return them to Boeing as the leases expire according to the terms of the leases. It might be possible that Delta may purchase them as the leases expire if the cost of returning them would exceed the purchase price and then retire them. :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:30 pm

swacle wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Southwest adds daily CVG-HOU from November 5

https://www.cvgairport.com/about/news/2 ... nd-houston


More than CVG, looks like GSP, CLE, ICT, DTW, & TUS


Not sure about the others but CLE is holiday weeks only right now, Thanksgiving and Christmas.


Yeah, looks like a ton of seasonal adds, seeing some additional routes as well:

BDL-BNA
BNA-SLC
MSP-HOU
GEG-BOI
MDW-IAD
RNO-HOU
CLT-PHX
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
Vctony
Posts: 687
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 1999 10:51 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:59 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
swacle wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

More than CVG, looks like GSP, CLE, ICT, DTW, & TUS


Not sure about the others but CLE is holiday weeks only right now, Thanksgiving and Christmas.


Yeah, looks like a ton of seasonal adds, seeing some additional routes as well:

BDL-BNA
BNA-SLC
MSP-HOU
GEG-BOI
MDW-IAD
RNO-HOU
CLT-PHX


CLT-PHX is interesting. WN must see some blood in the water with AA as AA runs this route 7-8x daily.
 
DaCubbyBearBar
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:30 am

When are all these additions?? Not seeing them ...source?
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3790
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:46 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
When are all these additions?? Not seeing them ...source?


I didn’t find bdl-bna but slc-bna and clt-Phx I only found thanksgiving week.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Probably still missed a few:

LIT-ATL starts Nov 5; 1x daily
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... te/?latest

WN moved up the start dates on some ATL routes, SDF/OKC/OMA now start on Nov 5

Holiday SDF-RSW & AUS-SLC

Jshank83 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
When are all these additions?? Not seeing them ...source?


I didn’t find bdl-bna but slc-bna and clt-Phx I only found thanksgiving week.


Looks like some might not be loaded in yet? Or were taken out?

BDL-BNA & SLC-SNA are in google flights for March
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2135
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:33 pm

Per Southwest.com they added LGB-RNO for Thanksgiving holiday season.
Operating only on Nov 23,24,25,29 and 30.
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
jplatts
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:06 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Probably still missed a few:

LIT-ATL starts Nov 5; 1x daily
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... te/?latest


WN re-adding LIT-MDW nonstop service is a possibility with
(a) WN recently re-adding LIT-HOU nonstop service and adding LIT-ATL/DEN nonstop service,
(b) WN having had served MDW nonstop from LIT for over 10 years prior to dropping LIT-MDW nonstop service 4 years ago,
(c) WN having a FF base in both the Little Rock and Chicago markets to support the return of LIT-MDW nonstop service, and
(d) WN being able to offer connections to some Eastern U.S. destinations that it doesn't serve nonstop from STL or ATL through MDW.

WN re-adding MDW-BOI/GSP/ROC/GEG/TUL nonstop service on at least a summer seasonal basis is also a possibility with WN being able to make MDW-BOI/GSP/ROC/GEG/TUL nonstop service work in the summertime in the past.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3790
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:26 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Looks like some might not be loaded in yet? Or were taken out?

BDL-BNA & SLC-SNA are in google flights for March


Might have been taken out. Google flights is usually a day or two behind changes. Something to keep an eye on though. Thanks
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:44 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
swacle wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

More than CVG, looks like GSP, CLE, ICT, DTW, & TUS


Not sure about the others but CLE is holiday weeks only right now, Thanksgiving and Christmas.


Yeah, looks like a ton of seasonal adds, seeing some additional routes as well:

BDL-BNA
BNA-SLC
MSP-HOU
GEG-BOI
MDW-IAD
RNO-HOU
CLT-PHX


MSP-LAS also. Runs Nov 1 to Dec 18, Sunday/Mon/Thurs/Fri only. I'm not seeing the MSP-HOU on the schedule though.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2135
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:04 pm

[twoid] [/twoid]
Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Looks like some might not be loaded in yet? Or were taken out?

BDL-BNA & SLC-SNA are in google flights for March


Might have been taken out. Google flights is usually a day or two behind changes. Something to keep an eye on though. Thanks


On Tuesday Southwest.com showed a lot of new adds like SNA-SLC in March 2021. A lot of flights showed the MAX as the scheduled aircraft.
This morning looks like a lot of flights and the MAX are gone from the schedule.
I'm gonna GUESS everyone had high hopes once the FAA guy flew the MAX yesterday it would be she's flys great And is ready to be returned to service it's all systems go.
But watching the news briefings post MAX flight Sounds like he's pumping the brakes it's going to take a few more months before it's going to be released to return to service.
I don't see the MAX flying for anyone until MAY or June 2021.

All this has me wondering if WN might be pumping it's own brakes on Adding MIA and PSP before year end?

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:14 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
[twoid] [/twoid]
Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Looks like some might not be loaded in yet? Or were taken out?

BDL-BNA & SLC-SNA are in google flights for March


Might have been taken out. Google flights is usually a day or two behind changes. Something to keep an eye on though. Thanks


On Tuesday Southwest.com showed a lot of new adds like SNA-SLC in March 2021. A lot of flights showed the MAX as the scheduled aircraft.
This morning looks like a lot of flights and the MAX are gone from the schedule.
I'm gonna GUESS everyone had high hopes once the FAA guy flew the MAX yesterday it would be she's flys great And is ready to be returned to service it's all systems go.
But watching the news briefings post MAX flight Sounds like he's pumping the brakes it's going to take a few more months before it's going to be released to return to service.
I don't see the MAX flying for anyone until MAY or June 2021.

All this has me wondering if WN might be pumping it's own brakes on Adding MIA and PSP before year end?

Flyguy


Interesting thing is they are still in the WN route map software, listed as nonstops just no available dates. Normally, that doesn't happen.
https://www.southwest.com/flight/routem ... R-ROUTEMAP:

Either way, it likely means these routes are going to be added in the near future.
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9000
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:15 pm

They must have plenty of aircraft to fly even 80 or 90% of last year's ASMs. There's been no add announced that would require the range of a MAX, right?
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:22 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
swacle wrote:

Not sure about the others but CLE is holiday weeks only right now, Thanksgiving and Christmas.


Yeah, looks like a ton of seasonal adds, seeing some additional routes as well:

BDL-BNA
BNA-SLC
MSP-HOU
GEG-BOI
MDW-IAD
RNO-HOU
CLT-PHX


MSP-LAS also. Runs Nov 1 to Dec 18, Sunday/Mon/Thurs/Fri only. I'm not seeing the MSP-HOU on the schedule though.


MSP-LAS isn't new though, it's been run within the past year IIRC.

MSP-HOU is one of the phantom routes

Image
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Yeah, looks like a ton of seasonal adds, seeing some additional routes as well:

BDL-BNA
BNA-SLC
MSP-HOU
GEG-BOI
MDW-IAD
RNO-HOU
CLT-PHX


MSP-LAS also. Runs Nov 1 to Dec 18, Sunday/Mon/Thurs/Fri only. I'm not seeing the MSP-HOU on the schedule though.


MSP-LAS isn't new though, it's been run within the past year IIRC.

MSP-HOU is one of the phantom routes

Image


Correct, MSP-LAS has run before. Usually a spring flight. This timing is new and having 4x weekly. I didn't see it come back for March, which it has in the past (note: Not run in Spring 2020).
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:04 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
[twoid] [/twoid]
Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Looks like some might not be loaded in yet? Or were taken out?

BDL-BNA & SLC-SNA are in google flights for March


Might have been taken out. Google flights is usually a day or two behind changes. Something to keep an eye on though. Thanks


On Tuesday Southwest.com showed a lot of new adds like SNA-SLC in March 2021. A lot of flights showed the MAX as the scheduled aircraft.
This morning looks like a lot of flights and the MAX are gone from the schedule.


MAX is not pulled from the schedule
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3790
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:17 pm

Adding to the list of seasonal adds STL-CLT is running in November. Sometimes 4x weekly, sometimes more. Only had a 2 week test run back in summer besides this. Will be interesting if they start mixing it in more full time.
 
SXDFC
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:02 pm

 
SCHATC422
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:09 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:32 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Probably still missed a few:

LIT-ATL starts Nov 5; 1x daily
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... te/?latest

WN moved up the start dates on some ATL routes, SDF/OKC/OMA now start on Nov 5

Holiday SDF-RSW & AUS-SLC

Jshank83 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
When are all these additions?? Not seeing them ...source?


I didn’t find bdl-bna but slc-bna and clt-Phx I only found thanksgiving week.


Looks like some might not be loaded in yet? Or were taken out?

BDL-BNA & SLC-SNA are in google flights for March



A very reliable source told me the BDL-BNA is on company schedules and hasn't been approved for booking yet but it's showing as daily.
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5784
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:28 pm

jplatts wrote:

WN re-adding LIT-MDW nonstop service is a possibility with
(a) WN recently re-adding LIT-HOU nonstop service and adding LIT-ATL/DEN nonstop service,
(b) WN having had served MDW nonstop from LIT for over 10 years prior to dropping LIT-MDW nonstop service 4 years ago,
(c) WN having a FF base in both the Little Rock and Chicago markets to support the return of LIT-MDW nonstop service, and
(d) WN being able to offer connections to some Eastern U.S. destinations that it doesn't serve nonstop from STL or ATL through MDW.

WN re-adding MDW-BOI/GSP/ROC/GEG/TUL nonstop service on at least a summer seasonal basis is also a possibility with WN being able to make MDW-BOI/GSP/ROC/GEG/TUL nonstop service work in the summertime in the past.


I know I bust your hump at times, but with historical logic a complete fallacy these days, WN adding ANYTHING to any of their core/hub cities is indeed, a possibility. Whole New World.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:22 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
swacle wrote:

Not sure about the others but CLE is holiday weeks only right now, Thanksgiving and Christmas.


Yeah, looks like a ton of seasonal adds, seeing some additional routes as well:

BDL-BNA
BNA-SLC
MSP-HOU
GEG-BOI
MDW-IAD
RNO-HOU
CLT-PHX


MSP-LAS also. Runs Nov 1 to Dec 18, Sunday/Mon/Thurs/Fri only. I'm not seeing the MSP-HOU on the schedule though.


Edit: MSP-LAS is loaded beyond December. MSP-HOU appears to start in March
 
aviationMCO8
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:35 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:16 am

SXDFC wrote:

it's a leased plane and the lease has ended so it's going back to its owner. IL 1 will hopefully be repainted on another -700 or a MAX7.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3790
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:08 am

All the talked about routes have been pushed thru now.
CLT-STL November on thru the entire schedule (except a couple weeks in December)
BDL-BNA for March
Others...
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:04 am

Wow....WN is adding 1x daily MCO-RSW on Nov 5, local O&D has to be 0 on that....

MDW-IAD will be 3x daily
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
SurfandSnow
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:09 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:22 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Wow....WN is adding 1x daily MCO-RSW on Nov 5, local O&D has to be 0 on that....

MDW-IAD will be 3x daily


Folks in Southwest Florida do love visiting the parks though! The drive is a long, boring one...

I do remember the MCO-RSW flight being pretty full when I took it years ago. I also remember MCO being a very nice airport to connect through. I wonder if MCO-ECP could be brought back as well. Perhaps MCO-EYW too.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2111
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:27 pm

aviationMCO8 wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

it's a leased plane and the lease has ended so it's going back to its owner. IL 1 will hopefully be repainted on another -700 or a MAX7.

I guess WN will not be renewing leases on some aircraft coming due. Makes sense given the current environment of the industry.
 
tphuang
Posts: 5859
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:37 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Wow....WN is adding 1x daily MCO-RSW on Nov 5, local O&D has to be 0 on that....

MDW-IAD will be 3x daily


that really is surprising. Does make me wonder how this helps their network. I would imagine they could've handled all the connection from any variety of other major stations.
 
737max8
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:47 pm

Will MCO-RSW be the shortest Southwest flight CONUS?

I checked a few (MDW-GRR, BWI-ORF, HOU-AUS, ATL-GSP), all longer....
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3790
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:07 pm

tphuang wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Wow....WN is adding 1x daily MCO-RSW on Nov 5, local O&D has to be 0 on that....

MDW-IAD will be 3x daily


that really is surprising. Does make me wonder how this helps their network. I would imagine they could've handled all the connection from any variety of other major stations.


Might be that they seem to be pushing a lot of flights to MCO these days from stations without many other flights. So they can route people XXX-MCO-RSW
 
SXDFC
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:46 am

Rumors are that quite a few -700s will be returned in 2021. This also includes Lone Star 2.0 (N931WN).
 
DaCubbyBearBar
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:37 am

SXDFC wrote:
Rumors are that quite a few -700s will be returned in 2021. This also includes Lone Star 2.0 (N931WN).

If that happens I would expect a -800 or a MAX WILL BE repainted almost immediately
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine
 
avi8
Posts: 1249
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:36 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:00 am

Interesting to see HOU getting a few additional routes. Maybe they’re setting the stage for a larger international gateway?
avi8
 
WN732
Posts: 885
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:10 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
SXDFC wrote:
Rumors are that quite a few -700s will be returned in 2021. This also includes Lone Star 2.0 (N931WN).

If that happens I would expect a -800 or a MAX WILL BE repainted almost immediately


They did go a little while without one after 1.0 was retired. Would be nice to have it on an -800 so you can almost guarantee that it'll go throughout the entire system.
 
aviationMCO8
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:35 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:44 pm

737max8 wrote:
Will MCO-RSW be the shortest Southwest flight CONUS?

I checked a few (MDW-GRR, BWI-ORF, HOU-AUS, ATL-GSP), all longer....


MCO-FLL is there too
 
User avatar
albspotter
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:13 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:04 pm

Do you guys know if ALB-LAS is still a thing? The last time I saw that route was last year for like 2 weeks over the summer. Also does anyone know about new routes that could come to ALB with WN?
 
WidebodyPTV
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:45 pm

I was looking at flights over the Thanksgiving holiday this past Tuesday when WN rolled its schedule change, which eliminated many options. I was surprised they did it so early (probably 5PM CT) in the day, as opposed to overnight. Once the schedule change was complete, the lowest fare buckets were open for the Sunday after Thanksgiving They didn't fix it until the next day... it seems like a glitch, but part of me wonders if bookings were so poor (for the Sunday after Thanksgiving) that they did it on purpose.
 
ibthebigd
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:51 pm

I was booked SDF-LAS-SAN on Thanksgiving day. They ended up sending me SDF-DEN-SAN luckily I leave and arrive around the same time.

Coming home I was SAN-DAL-SDF now I am SAN-PHX-SDF on the Monday after Thanksgiving I arrive 2 hours earlier that the DAL flight so I was happy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2451
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:37 am

Can someone explain what’s going on with the schedule on certain dates?

Plug 10 Feb into the timetable and certain cities have an insane increase in frequencies. ALB has like 7 flights to TPA scheduled that day with 3 of them departing at the same time.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3790
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:01 am

USAirALB wrote:
Can someone explain what’s going on with the schedule on certain dates?

Plug 10 Feb into the timetable and certain cities have an insane increase in frequencies. ALB has like 7 flights to TPA scheduled that day with 3 of them departing at the same time.


For some reason I think if you have it set on day it loads for the entire week. Since Sat and Sun have different flight numbers it is pushing them all to one day. If you change it to week it should be right.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:16 pm

-Southwest Airlines has cut more than 90,000 flights from its November and December schedules, trying desperately to avoid empty aircraft heading into the important holiday travel season.

-Dallas-based Southwest cut 38,000 flights from its November plans, or about 36% of all trips, according to Dallas-based Airline Data Inc. The carrier also cut 55,000 flights for December, nearly half of its schedule.

“Of course, we’re adding in extra flights to lean in on the part of the Southwest Promise to keep middle seats open, but this is simply an effort to put forth a schedule that addresses the demand for travel that we’re seeing.”

-Southwest’s flight cuts for November and December will come during crucial holiday travel periods. Southwest cut about 29% of its Thanksgiving Day flights, including 29 at Dallas Love Field, site of its corporate headquarters.

-Southwest is reducing its Christmas Day flying by about 47% systemwide.

-Southwest has only removed a handful of flights from January schedules, and February and March schedules are mostly intact, Pelletier said.


Image
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... d-falters/
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
737max8
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:25 pm

Matching the schedule to demand is what you gotta do to get through this, no surprise. If more people book, then the cuts will be less.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388
 
mcdu
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:11 pm

737max8 wrote:
Matching the schedule to demand is what you gotta do to get through this, no surprise. If more people book, then the cuts will be less.


Apparently this is a surprise to a WN management. This didn’t age well: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2020/05/28/southwest-airlines-could-be-flying-a-full-schedule-by-the-end-of-2020/

So much for flying as many flights in the fall of 2020 vs 2019 as they had predicted earlier.
 
737max8
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:42 pm

mcdu wrote:
737max8 wrote:
Matching the schedule to demand is what you gotta do to get through this, no surprise. If more people book, then the cuts will be less.


Apparently this is a surprise to a WN management. This didn’t age well: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2020/05/28/southwest-airlines-could-be-flying-a-full-schedule-by-the-end-of-2020/

So much for flying as many flights in the fall of 2020 vs 2019 as they had predicted earlier.


That was in May, when trends were heading back in the right direction. The title of the article says *could be* and I'm sure WN's management was more than aware if the trends plateaued and Covid spiked again, like it did, reductions would have to be made.

By putting out a full schedule, WN was able to capture all demand they could.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388
 
Flflyer83
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:01 pm

737max8 wrote:
mcdu wrote:
737max8 wrote:
Matching the schedule to demand is what you gotta do to get through this, no surprise. If more people book, then the cuts will be less.


Apparently this is a surprise to a WN management. This didn’t age well: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2020/05/28/southwest-airlines-could-be-flying-a-full-schedule-by-the-end-of-2020/

So much for flying as many flights in the fall of 2020 vs 2019 as they had predicted earlier.


That was in May, when trends were heading back in the right direction. The title of the article says *could be* and I'm sure WN's management was more than aware if the trends plateaued and Covid spiked again, like it did, reductions would have to be made.

By putting out a full schedule, WN was able to capture all demand they could.


Just ignore the troll. The best thing is to click on the name and then click on “Add Foe”... the only time I see such posts are when someone replies/quotes the troll in their post.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos