Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:56 pm

AC4500 wrote:
The difference is that AA connects what very little "demand" there is through their DFW hub, which helps to fill up their DFW-SRQ flight(s). While Southwest does rely on some connections through DAL/HOU, their hubs and focus cities are more centered around O&D traffic from point A to point B. If AA had very little connecting traffic through their DFW hub to SRQ and had to solely rely on O&D demand, I don't think they would be flying that route at all.

WN had actually added weekend-only nonstop service to HDN and MTJ from DAL, and both DFW-HDN and DFW-MTJ had lower PDEW's in Q4 2019 than DFW-SRQ did.

Here are the PDEW's for DFW/DAL-HDN/MTJ/SRQ in Q4 2019:
DFW-HDN - 14
DFW-MTJ - 24
DFW/DAL-SRQ - 45

WN adding at least weekend-only nonstop service to SRQ from DAL is certainly a possibility with SRQ having more O&D demand from the DFW/DAL market than MTJ or HDN did in Q4 2019. There were also some passengers connecting to SRQ from Greater Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area in Q4 2019, and WN would likely be offering connections onto DAL-SRQ flights from LAX/OAK-DAL nonstop flights if WN adds DAL-SRQ nonstop service.

Midwestindy

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:56 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
First off with the SRQ-TPA and SRQ-MCO I was joking since there stupidly doing COS-DEN.
AirTran flew SRQ-MDW,ATL and BWI. I'd expect something similar.

Flyguy

COS-DEN is not stupid.....UA flies COS-DEN 10x daily in normal times, DEN offers tons of connectivity for COS travelers on WN
ORD & IND

AA & DL

SRQLOT

Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:02 pm

[quote="Midwestindy"]There is hardly any demand to SRQ west of the Mississippi, it's got to be:

Although somewhat might be true, but last month I was connecting in DFW from SRQ round trip and both flights were almost 90% full on the A319. I bet plenty of people are happy to have a connection option going west then backtrack to CLT like I have done in the past.

Also incidentally on my flight back from DFW, Mr. Piccolo was at the gate with 2 bigwigs, could they have been waiting on someone from Southwest?
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4 F9
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 772 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E70/75/95 (PA28,152)

jplatts

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:04 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Has Southwest pulled out of Cozumel?

I am unsure if WN had permanently pulled out of CZM, but WN has already dropped all service out of CZM through the end of its current flight schedule.

maps4ltd wrote:
Regarding FL: I think that VPS would have worked just as well as SRQ. A STL-VPS flight would be a hit given how many St. Louisans go to Destin

I agree with your point. There is also probably enough demand for nonstop service to VPS out of DAL on WN with (a) the amount of O&D that is there on AA DFW-VPS nonstop flights, (b) WN already serving PNS and ECP in the Florida Panhandle nonstop from DAL, and (c) there still being enough demand for nonstop service to PNS and ECP from DAL on WN in Summer 2020, even with significantly decreased demand for domestic air travel.

evank516

Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:05 pm

TWA302 wrote:
777Mech wrote:
It was stupid of WN to close SRQ in the first place.

EYW should be next on the list. When they opened EYW after the FL merger; "Key West is a destination our Customers have been eagerly awaiting." Yet look at them now.

Can we have FL back?

I would LUV for EYW to be added. It would save a ton of drive time to MTH for us. With runway length being the major issue, I guess the 737-7 would have to be seriously weight restricted, and that doesn't sit well with WN I would wager. Just my butt in the seat pax opinion. I will let the experts speak more towards that. :stirthepot:

Until September Delta was flying the 737-700 from ATL to EYW. The only weight restriction was limiting everyone to one checked bag.

FATFlyer

Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:54 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
First thought: yay, another Florida destination
Second thought: kinda close to TPA
Third thought: What's Fresno gotta do to get WN service?

As far as Fresno - it’s a summer add. I would imagine it had a good chance of coming with the next round of summer adds whenever that gets announced. That said, I’m not really sure the market is huge in the current environment, so I could see them passing on it for now. Zero business travel and your leisure travelers are perfectly willing to fly into SFO or SMF and drive to Yosemite, etc.

Visitation to Yosemite/Sequoia/Kings Canyon NPs begins to rise in spring as the snow melts and waterfalls flow. A Q2 start for that tourism would make more sense.

Q2 is also when outbound numbers increase heavily.

The business/leisure travel split at FAT is estimated at about 50/50 based on studies. Leakage is estimated at about 25%-40% of the market.

FAT-MEX just started this week. The international market is doing well, only about 30,000 fewer annual international nonstop enplanements than SMF. To me that is an indicator that some of the numbers people look at don't fully capture the market potential. Years ago there were many saying that FAT would never be able to support international flights due to things like per capita income.

There are many things about the market that get missed when looking at only certain numbers. It is a different and more complex market than outsiders sometimes think.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Jshank83

Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:13 am

wnflyguy wrote:
My Guess for SRQ
2 BWI
3 ATL
1 DAL
1 MDW
But since this is the new HUB and Spoke WN
It will probably be.
2 BWI
4 TPA
3 FLL
4 MCO

Flyguy

I’d argue hub and spoke isn’t new to WN.

Iggy500

Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:21 am

Here are my predictions:

ATL-SRQ
BNA-SRQ
BWI-SRQ
MDW-SRQ

Honestly, DAL and HOU seem kind of unlikely to me, but anything can happen, so we'll have to wait and find out.

TWA302

Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:48 am

evank516 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
777Mech wrote:
It was stupid of WN to close SRQ in the first place.

EYW should be next on the list. When they opened EYW after the FL merger; "Key West is a destination our Customers have been eagerly awaiting." Yet look at them now.

Can we have FL back?

I would LUV for EYW to be added. It would save a ton of drive time to MTH for us. With runway length being the major issue, I guess the 737-7 would have to be seriously weight restricted, and that doesn't sit well with WN I would wager. Just my butt in the seat pax opinion. I will let the experts speak more towards that. :stirthepot:

Until September Delta was flying the 737-700 from ATL to EYW. The only weight restriction was limiting everyone to one checked bag.

Thanks. I didnt know that.

flyfresno

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:05 am

FATFlyer wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

As far as Fresno - it’s a summer add. I would imagine it had a good chance of coming with the next round of summer adds whenever that gets announced. That said, I’m not really sure the market is huge in the current environment, so I could see them passing on it for now. Zero business travel and your leisure travelers are perfectly willing to fly into SFO or SMF and drive to Yosemite, etc.

Visitation to Yosemite/Sequoia/Kings Canyon NPs begins to rise in spring as the snow melts and waterfalls flow. A Q2 start for that tourism would make more sense.

Q2 is also when outbound numbers increase heavily.

The business/leisure travel split at FAT is estimated at about 50/50 based on studies. Leakage is estimated at about 25%-40% of the market.

FAT-MEX just started this week. The international market is doing well, only about 30,000 fewer annual international nonstop enplanements than SMF. To me that is an indicator that some of the numbers people look at don't fully capture the market potential. Years ago there were many saying that FAT would never be able to support international flights due to things like per capita income.

There are many things about the market that get missed when looking at only certain numbers. It is a different and more complex market than outsiders sometimes think.

One of the major reasons that the international flights do so well at FAT is that those flights have a HUGE catchment area...people come from Kern County in the south all the way up the Valley to Merced County in the north, and even a few from the Central Coast. You are looking at 2.5+ million people in that region. Yes, income levels in the region aren't in the same ballpark as the major CA metros, but that's still a lot of potential passengers. FAT has been growing so fast (pre-COVID) because there's been both less leakage and more pax coming from nearby regions. While FAT has a long, long way to go to even get close to SMF domestically, I agree that there is a lot of growth potential at FAT, especially as options increase and fares drop, and the airport could easily double its passenger totals in the next 10 years, especially if WN begins service.

SurfandSnow

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:10 am

So much for any purported bad blood between WN and SRQ! Still, it's quite interesting to see WN try another Florida market that was served by FL (AirTran) rather than a resumption of EYW. EYW's runway is still really short, but the recent small extension there seems to have made a pretty big difference for the airport!

Then again, have EYW's incumbent legacy carriers gobbled up all remaining facility access, effectively blocking a WN return? AA even added MCO/TPA-EYW service recently - something that may have thwarted competition like B6, NK and WN from adding service?!? Perhaps a return to EYW is not possible.. and other Florida markets that once had FL service, like DAB and VPS, could be the next places in Florida to get WN service? Could WN ever get 737s in and out of APF (Naples) or BCT (Boca Raton)? If wealthy parts of Florida are what they are seeking with the addition of MIA and SRQ...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

n562wn

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:16 am

Iggy500 wrote:
Here are my predictions:

ATL-SRQ
BNA-SRQ
BWI-SRQ
MDW-SRQ

Honestly, DAL and HOU seem kind of unlikely to me, but anything can happen, so we'll have to wait and find out.

These are the most logical adds if you ask me. But there's been nothing really logical about this year, so who knows?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

FLALEFTY

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:56 am

SurfandSnow wrote:
So much for any purported bad blood between WN and SRQ! Still, it's quite interesting to see WN try another Florida market that was served by FL (AirTran) rather than a resumption of EYW. EYW's runway is still really short, but the recent small extension there seems to have made a pretty big difference for the airport!

Then again, have EYW's incumbent legacy carriers gobbled up all remaining facility access, effectively blocking a WN return? AA even added MCO/TPA-EYW service recently - something that may have thwarted competition like B6, NK and WN from adding service?!? Perhaps a return to EYW is not possible.. and other Florida markets that once had FL service, like DAB and VPS, could be the next places in Florida to get WN service? Could WN ever get 737s in and out of APF (Naples) or BCT (Boca Raton)? If wealthy parts of Florida are what they are seeking with the addition of MIA and SRQ...

EYW has undergone improvements, including installing EMAS at each end of their (only) RWY 9/27. The runway length is effectively 4,801 ft. for landings (displaced thresholds) and 5,075 ft. for takeoffs. The runway is also narrower, being 100' wide, compared to the typical commercial airport standard width of 150'. Still, EA used to run B727's down to EYW way back in the '70's, so for A319's and B73G's, it is suitable for their ops. But the open ramps that serve as gates are space-limited, so the mainline aircraft would tend to get crowded for ramp space if WN were to return. Lastly, for whatever reason, WN tried to make EYW work for their network and it just didn't pan out for them. I really doubt they will come back to EYW.

Ha! You mention APF and BCT possibly getting WN service? This will never happen. Both of those airports have rich, politically-connected NIMBY's who will make sure that neither airport gets regular airline service. As it is, the NIMBY's in Naples have been pushing to even close APF as a general aviation airport, or at least ban all jets.

SurfandSnow

Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:42 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
But the open ramps that serve as gates are space-limited, so the mainline aircraft would tend to get crowded for ramp space if WN were to return.

IIRC, ramp space was a huge issue for WN at EYW. Didn't they only have space to park 1 737 at a time, yet with all 3 daily flights (MCO/MSY/TPA-EYW) arriving into the tiny airport around the same time, the poor pax on the third and final 737 had to wait on the tarmac for the previous two WN planes to unload and then depart the airline's only parking spot? Obviously EYW was never designed with mainline jet traffic in mind - and I doubt AA and DL were eager to make room for a new LCC competitor.

Now, perhaps this is as silly a question as suggesting flights into APT and BCT, but could nearby NQX (Naval Air Station Key West) ever become a joint military/commercial aviation facility for the Florida Keys? That 10,000 ft runway at NQX would sure open up a lot of commercial airline possibilities for the keys! The existing EYW facility could then be repurposed for commercial and/or residential purposes - a *very* rare opportunity for major development in Key West.

FLALEFTY wrote:
Lastly, for whatever reason, WN tried to make EYW work for their network and it just didn't pan out for them. I really doubt they will come back to EYW.

The other issue for WN at EYW was apparently wet runway operations. However, this could very well have been a scheduling issue on WN's part. WN should have known better than to schedule three midday EYW turns in a tropical monsoon climate off of a short runway (never mind the prevailing lack of ramp space discussed previously). Anyone familiar with Florida would know that a typical hot, humid summer day is characterized by a generally brief but torrential afternoon downpour. Lightning will probably shut down ramp operations during this time, and of course the short runway would be problematic after all the rain. Smarter scheduling probably could have prevented A LOT of the operational headaches for WN at EYW. Had WN scheduled all of its flights in the morning and/or evening, rather than the stormy (during hurricane season) afternoons, EYW might very well have been much more successful. Sure, WN flights might not have matched hotel check-in/check-out times, but lest we not forget that Key West is *exactly* the kind of place where travelers aren't going to mind hanging out at a bar before (or until) their flights, whenever they may be...

Also, WN still wasn't flexible enough to have a fully seasonal station back then. I can't help but wonder if most of the problems WN faced at EYW (however self-inflicted they may have been) occurred between June and October - a time of year when relatively few tourists would typically want to go to the Florida Keys anyways. Maybe operating EYW seasonally would be best for commercial as well as operational reasons?
Last edited by SurfandSnow on Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

DeltaRules

Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:50 am

evank516 wrote:
PVD757 wrote:
I think BWI and MDW service are locks. HOU would seem the next best option to connect their network to/from the western US. ATL and BNA are wildcards in my opinion.

This has me wondering as others above mentioned already about DAB and MLB. WN seems all about network building via hubs (I know, they don’t have “hubs”). With that approach, each of those east coast Florida airports should be able to support 1-2 daily BWI flights and 1-2 westbound flight (MDW, HOU or BNA).

EYW to MCO too??

I could see DAB supporting 2x BWI and BNA. 1x MDW and DAL would probably go over rather well too. I remember when FL was in DAB their BWI flight outperformed ATL in terms of loads. I think loads were in the 90s.

I feel like I remember hearing/reading WN had kicked the tires on DAB within the last few years. Maybe this would be their opportunity to pounce.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

evank516

Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:28 am

DeltaRules wrote:
evank516 wrote:
PVD757 wrote:
I think BWI and MDW service are locks. HOU would seem the next best option to connect their network to/from the western US. ATL and BNA are wildcards in my opinion.

This has me wondering as others above mentioned already about DAB and MLB. WN seems all about network building via hubs (I know, they don’t have “hubs”). With that approach, each of those east coast Florida airports should be able to support 1-2 daily BWI flights and 1-2 westbound flight (MDW, HOU or BNA).

EYW to MCO too??

I could see DAB supporting 2x BWI and BNA. 1x MDW and DAL would probably go over rather well too. I remember when FL was in DAB their BWI flight outperformed ATL in terms of loads. I think loads were in the 90s.

I feel like I remember hearing/reading WN had kicked the tires on DAB within the last few years. Maybe this would be their opportunity to pounce.

I think so too. If you asked me 2 years ago if I ever thought I’d see WN in DAB I’d laugh in your face. Now? With a very clear and abrupt change in their business model? It actually seems realistic.

enplaned

Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:19 am

joeblow10 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

Close but not too close to TPA. Many airlines in recent years have started or greatly expanded SRQ service without cannibalizing their TPA service. G4 is probably the best example (PIE and of course PGD is even closer than TPA), but F9 and others have done the same thing.

PIE is indeed closer to SRQ than TPA. But PGD is further - 53 miles from TPA to SRQ, 59 miles from PGD to SRQ.

Oceanic

Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:49 pm

Was WN still on the hook for FL's leases at SRQ? I remember those being extremely long contracts. If they are still in effect, then that makes SRQ an easy, low-risk choice since they were already paying the leases there anyway. At least now they can try and make some money off of them.

PennPal

Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:44 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
First off with the SRQ-TPA and SRQ-MCO I was joking since there stupidly doing COS-DEN.
2 daily SRQ-FLL wouldn't be a surprise for connecting it to other destinations.
Flyguy

At one point in time United flew a DC-10 on the COS-DEN route, so there must be money to be made between the two cities...

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:54 pm

PennPal wrote:
At one point in time United flew a DC-10 on the COS-DEN route, so there must be money to be made between the two cities...

Was that during the Western Pacific days at COS? I seem to remember them dumping a ton of capacity on the route.

wnflyguy

Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:11 pm

PennPal wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
2 daily SRQ-FLL wouldn't be a surprise for connecting it to other destinations.
Flyguy

Ya A lot of airlines flew stupid segments before deregulation.
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

modernArt

Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:46 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
PennPal wrote:

Ya A lot of airlines flew stupid segments before deregulation.
Flyguy

It was in the early 90s - and like others have mentioned previously - it was probably done to alleviate ramp congestion in Denver. Evening to Colorado Springs return 07:00 to Denver.

-Mod

jeepyjeep

Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:18 pm

Given the fact that Southwest seems to be looking at smaller airports near larger airports they already service (like in this case with SRQ), I wonder if MDT has a chance to gain service at some point?

FCOTSTW

Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:50 pm

AWACSooner wrote:

Marketing fact: SRQ snowbirds have higher-than-average incomes, which creates specific demand for SRQ airport. Lots of SRQ OD passengers do all they can to avoid the hour drive to TPA.

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:14 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

Marketing fact: SRQ snowbirds have higher-than-average incomes, which creates specific demand for SRQ airport. Lots of SRQ OD passengers do all they can to avoid the hour drive to TPA.

SRQ is an odd market that way. Significantly more lucrative than average leisure market, but very weak on business demand. PSP might be a good analog. Maybe ASE too, though WN won’t be there anytime soon.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Q

Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:45 am

Southwest's Florida cities are Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Panama City, Pensacola, West Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Ft. Myers, (soon) Miami, and (soon) Sarasota.

Southwest should try out to Punta Gouda, Gainesville, Tallahassee, Daytona Beach, Melbourne, Ft Walton Beach (VPS) or Key West (hope return).

Q

dfwjim1

Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:11 am

A dark horse candidate would be Vero Beach - towered airport, 7314 foot long runway, minimal competition and some business demand

HVNandrew

Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:19 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
FCOTSTW wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

SRQ is an odd market that way. Significantly more lucrative than average leisure market, but very weak on business demand. PSP might be a good analog. Maybe ASE too, though WN won’t be there anytime soon.

Only based on my anecdotal experience and seeing airlines' schedules in SRQ over the years, SRQ also appears to be extremely seasonal, more than many other markets in Florida. The difference in what is flown from, say, November through April versus in the other six months of the year is really striking, almost like two different markets.

SWADawg

Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:46 pm

RSW is also very seasonal as well. WN should have no trouble adjusting flight schedules throughout the year just as they do in RSW.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

evank516

Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:05 pm

HVNandrew wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
FCOTSTW wrote:

Only based on my anecdotal experience and seeing airlines' schedules in SRQ over the years, SRQ also appears to be extremely seasonal, more than many other markets in Florida. The difference in what is flown from, say, November through April versus in the other six months of the year is really striking, almost like two different markets.

And it was very apparent with the way FL served SRQ as well. Their portfolio of destinations served from the area was widely seasonal. Some times of the year that had a huge plethora of nonstop flights while other times of the year it was basically ATL and BWI, but mostly ATL.

Jshank83

Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:07 pm

Q wrote:
Southwest's Florida cities are Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Panama City, Pensacola, West Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Ft. Myers, (soon) Miami, and (soon) Sarasota.

Southwest should try out to Punta Gouda, Gainesville, Tallahassee, Daytona Beach, Melbourne, Ft Walton Beach (VPS) or Key West (hope return).

Q

I don’t think there would be any reason to start PGD when you have SRQ and RSW both under an hour away in either direction.

strfyr51

Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:34 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
As per this morning's 8-K filing, Southwest intends to start flights to/from SRQ (Sarasota, FL) in Q1 2021:

In addition to these previously announced destinations, today the Company announces its intention to commence new service to Sarasota Bradenton International Airport in Florida in first quarter 2021. The Company is leveraging additional airports in or near cities where its Customer base is large, along with adding easier access to popular leisure-oriented destinations from across its domestic-focused network.

https://seekingalpha.com/filing/5230339

Just in time for Spring Training?

a318

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:57 am

ISP-SRQ wouldn’t surprise me

ctrabs0114

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:05 am

strfyr51 wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
As per this morning's 8-K filing, Southwest intends to start flights to/from SRQ (Sarasota, FL) in Q1 2021:

In addition to these previously announced destinations, today the Company announces its intention to commence new service to Sarasota Bradenton International Airport in Florida in first quarter 2021. The Company is leveraging additional airports in or near cities where its Customer base is large, along with adding easier access to popular leisure-oriented destinations from across its domestic-focused network.

Probably a stretch, but the Baltimore Orioles hold spring training in Sarasota, so I wouldn't be shocked if BWI-SRQ pops up as a potential route since WN has been a team sponsor for many years now (though UA handles the Orioles' charters).

Then again, you might recall some WN CVG-PHX seasonal routes which just so happened to coincide with Cincinnati Reds spring training even though the Reds' have a marketing and charter deal with DL.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

airlineworker

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:08 am

jeepyjeep wrote:
Given the fact that Southwest seems to be looking at smaller airports near larger airports they already service (like in this case with SRQ), I wonder if MDT has a chance to gain service at some point?

How about HVN? AA just pulled out along with other cities. 2-3 flights to BWI should work. Not too far for 737-700's. Displaced threshold on runway 20 due to be eliminated resulting in 5600 feet in both directions.

CMHSRQ

Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:48 pm

All we really need to do is look at the busiest routes out of RSW and TPA for Southwest.
MDW and BWI. I bet they start with those two routes plus MCO for quick connections. Next winter and spring if we get back to normal I see BWI, MDW, ATL, BNA, CMH, STL, HOU/DAL/MSY.

RE: EYW, would really like them to return, but I think they are two risk averse. I was leaving EYW one spring afternoon and sea fog rolled in and rolled out. Southwest cancelled all of their flights. No other carrier cancelled, fog came and gone in 10 minutes. No runway contamination, not a cloud in the sky and 400 people were stuck in the tiny terminal.
The voice of moderation

ibthebigd

Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:59 pm

I could see IND-SRQ eventually

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ctrabs0114

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:23 am

airlineworker wrote:
jeepyjeep wrote:

How about HVN? AA just pulled out along with other cities. 2-3 flights to BWI should work. Not too far for 737-700's. Displaced threshold on runway 20 due to be eliminated resulting in 5600 feet in both directions.

Is HVN capable of handling 73G/738 on a daily basis? I read that UA flew HVN-ORD in the 80s/90s with 733/735, but other than that, it's been almost all regional jets and smaller using HVN.

However, a federal appeals court sided with the City of New Haven last year in a suit filed by the State which invalidated Connecticut law limiting HVN's allowable runway length. SCOTUS declined to hear the State's appeal this past March. That basically means the State can't oppose any future proposals to extend the runway length, but that doesn't preclude the NIMBY-ism from New Haven and East Haven residents from derailing any expansion plans.
Last edited by ctrabs0114 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

FWAERJ

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:27 am

ibthebigd wrote:
I could see IND-SRQ eventually

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t surprise me. IND-SRQ was huge for FL, and had a lot of pax from the FWA catchment area as well.

Then again, both IND and FWA now have G4 to SRQ...
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

evank516

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:48 am

a318 wrote:
ISP-SRQ wouldn’t surprise me

The only reason it would surprise me is the lack of expansion at ISP in the last decade. They’ve done nothing but shrink there while expanding at LGA.
ctrabs0114 wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
jeepyjeep wrote:

Is HVN capable of handling 73G/738 on a daily basis? I read that UA flew HVN-ORD in the 80s/90s with 733/735, but other than that, it's been almost all regional jets and smaller using HVN.

However, a federal appeals court sided with the City of New Haven last year in a suit filed by the State which invalidated Connecticut law limiting HVN's allowable runway length. SCOTUS declined to hear the State's appeal this past March. That basically means the State can't oppose any future proposals to extend the runway length, but that doesn't preclude the NIMBY-ism from New Haven and East Haven residents from derailing any expansion plans.

I don’t see why HVN can’t handle the 73G in terms of runway length. They can fly out of EYW and SNA. The hill at the north end of the runway could pose a problem though.

Q

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:51 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Q wrote:

Q

I don’t think there would be any reason to start PGD when you have SRQ and RSW both under an hour away in either direction.

Southwest could try to competitions with Allegiant Airlines in PGD.

Q

Jshank83

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:04 pm

Q wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Q wrote:

Q

Southwest could try to competitions with Allegiant Airlines in PGD.

Q

But why? Like I said they already are bookended by less than hour drives. I’m not sure Southwest needs to worry about competing directly with G4.

SRQLOT

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:29 am

UA trying to be proactive with DEN-SRQ? Any other cities that could be in play before Southwest comes in?
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4 F9
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 772 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E70/75/95 (PA28,152)

jplatts

Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:30 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:

Probably a stretch, but the Baltimore Orioles hold spring training in Sarasota, so I wouldn't be shocked if BWI-SRQ pops up as a potential route since WN has been a team sponsor for many years now (though UA handles the Orioles' charters).

CMHSRQ wrote:
All we really need to do is look at the busiest routes out of RSW and TPA for Southwest.
MDW and BWI. I bet they start with those two routes plus MCO for quick connections.

There is an article in the Baltimore Business Journal which said that WN plans on adding BWI-SRQ nonstop service, and that article can be found at https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2020/11/16/southwest-airlines-adds-sarasota-florida-network.html.

Ishrion

Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:14 pm

SRQ’s now showing up on Southwest’s route map. The list shows SRQ-BNA/BWI/HOU/MDW.

CMHSRQ

Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Ishrion wrote:
SRQ’s now showing up on Southwest’s route map. The list shows SRQ-BNA/BWI/HOU/MDW.

Looks like first day of service is Feb 14th. Valentines day, LUV.

3X BWI
2X MDW
2X BNA
1X HOU
The voice of moderation

Ishrion

Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Southwest's SRQ and SAV flights have been loaded.

SRQ begins February 14:
- 2x daily BNA
- 3x daily BWI
- 1x daily HOU
- 2x daily MDW

SAV begins March 11:
- 1x daily BNA
- 1x daily BWI
- 1x daily DAL
- 1x daily HOU
- 1x daily MDW

AC4500

Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:01 pm

Ishrion wrote:

SRQ begins February 14:
- 2x daily BNA
- 3x daily BWI
- 1x daily HOU
- 2x daily MDW

SAV begins March 11:
- 1x daily BNA
- 1x daily BWI
- 1x daily DAL
- 1x daily HOU
- 1x daily MDW

SAV got more than I expected. Albeit, only one daily flight on each of these routes. Surprised that SRQ-DAL isn't included.
Next:
AS: PDX-DEN-PDX
FI: PDX-KEF-PDX

tphuang

Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:01 pm

WN is definitely going really big into many of these new markets.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:02 pm

Ishrion wrote:

SRQ begins February 14:
- 2x daily BNA
- 3x daily BWI
- 1x daily HOU
- 2x daily MDW

SAV begins March 11:
- 1x daily BNA
- 1x daily BWI
- 1x daily DAL
- 1x daily HOU
- 1x daily MDW

No ATL for either, sucks for folks in markets like MEM that have been added to ATL and not BNA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos