Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
ArcticSEA
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:10 pm

As per this morning's 8-K filing, Southwest intends to start flights to/from SRQ (Sarasota, FL) in Q1 2021:

In addition to these previously announced destinations, today the Company announces its intention to commence new service to Sarasota Bradenton International Airport in Florida in first quarter 2021. The Company is leveraging additional airports in or near cities where its Customer base is large, along with adding easier access to popular leisure-oriented destinations from across its domestic-focused network.

https://seekingalpha.com/filing/5230339
You have freedom of speech. You do not have freedom to commit seditious, violent insurrection.
 
SWADawg
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:12 pm

Adding back previous FL cities. Maybe EYW will be back soon as well.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines
 
AWACSooner
Posts: 2571
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:35 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:29 pm

First thought: yay, another Florida destination
Second thought: kinda close to TPA
Third thought: What's Fresno gotta do to get WN service?
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8785
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:41 pm

FAT needs to get a beach? Some big base of leisure travelers, which is going to be the support for SRQ.
 
joeblow10
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:44 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
First thought: yay, another Florida destination
Second thought: kinda close to TPA
Third thought: What's Fresno gotta do to get WN service?


Close but not too close to TPA. Many airlines in recent years have started or greatly expanded SRQ service without cannibalizing their TPA service. G4 is probably the best example (PIE and of course PGD is even closer than TPA), but F9 and others have done the same thing.

As far as Fresno - it’s a summer add. I would imagine it had a good chance of coming with the next round of summer adds whenever that gets announced. That said, I’m not really sure the market is huge in the current environment, so I could see them passing on it for now. Zero business travel and your leisure travelers are perfectly willing to fly into SFO or SMF and drive to Yosemite, etc.
 
Crosswind787
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:50 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:52 pm

My guess is MDW/BWI/BNA/ATL- SRQ
 
SWADawg
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:59 pm

Crosswind787 wrote:
My guess is MDW/BWI/BNA/ATL- SRQ

I would add HOU to your list. Good market from Houston to the Florida gulf coast cities.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines
 
panam330
Posts: 2173
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:04 pm

SRQ: the new PSP. :mrgreen: In all seriousness, as said elsewhere by many, if it loses less than sitting on the ground, why not? I wish them luck.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3939
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:09 pm

Crosswind787 wrote:
My guess is MDW/BWI/BNA/ATL- SRQ


WN adding DAL-SRQ nonstop service might also be a possibility with
(a) AA currently being the only airline serving SRQ nonstop from the DFW/DAL market,
(b) WN recently adding nonstop service out of DAL to other leisure destinations such as HDN and MTJ, and
(c) DFW/DAL being one of the top markets traveled to from SRQ.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:11 pm

I had a feeling WN would “return” to SRQ. It was surprising that it was one of the Air Tran destinations that they dropped.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3939
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:14 pm

SWADawg wrote:
I would add HOU to your list. Good market from Houston to the Florida gulf coast cities.


I agree that WN adding SRQ-HOU nonstop service is a possibility due to
(a) WN already serving most of its Florida destinations nonstop from HOU,
(b) HOU being one of WN's largest stations, and
(c) HOU being located in a good geographical location for connections to Florida from destinations further west.
 
evank516
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:51 pm

WN’s new service announcements are getting interesting. To see them add an airport like SRQ which is sandwiched between TPA and RSW I’d be interested to see if this pattern continues in other similar cities. Wonder if they will look into something like MLB or DAB on the edge of MCO’s catchement area.
 
User avatar
FLALEFTY
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Flyers using SRQ tend to be wealthier than those opting to make the drive to TPA, PIE, or PGD. The airport is close to the city centers of both Sarasota and Bradenton, close to the suburbs to the south and east and it is also a quick drive to the excellent beaches. So I can understand why SRQ is being targeted by airlines.

SRQ's traffic tends to be very seasonal, with December to March being the peak and traffic reduced in the Spring, Summer and Fall due to the modest number of business travelers in the area. However, WN has a certain cachet that should allow them to appeal to SRQ passengers, so I expect them to do reasonably well in this market.

The other Florida market WN should consider is DAB, which is badly underserved, yet is a recognized tourist destination, with a nice airport and serves a fairly large catchment area along the NE coast of Florida. Also, the local government in Daytona Beach would pay incentives to get WN's service.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Wow another profitable AirTran destination they should have never Axed during the merger.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
CMHSRQ
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:49 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:36 pm

Please let my screen name come true!
The voice of moderation
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:05 pm

SWADawg wrote:
Adding back previous FL cities. Maybe EYW will be back soon as well.

SWAPA killed That operation over Runway safety limits. Unless they relocate the Airline operation under a joint venture at the Key West Navel Air station it's not coming back.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:06 pm

CMHSRQ wrote:
Please let my screen name come true!

It will Via BWI or MDW.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3246
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:17 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
Adding back previous FL cities. Maybe EYW will be back soon as well.

SWAPA killed That operation over Runway safety limits. Unless they relocate the Airline operation under a joint venture at the Key West Navel Air station it's not coming back.

Flyguy


Southwest ended Key West in the early 2010s. Since then there’s been a runway extension. Is the additional length not enough?
 
SWADawg
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:18 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
Adding back previous FL cities. Maybe EYW will be back soon as well.

SWAPA killed That operation over Runway safety limits. Unless they relocate the Airline operation under a joint venture at the Key West Navel Air station it's not coming back.

Flyguy

SWAPA had zip to do with getting EYW pulled. SWAPA doesn’t determine the runway safety margins, the FAA Ops Specs signed off by the POI are what determines those limitations. Since WN wasn’t allowed to amend their Ops Specs to allow for grooved Runway surfaces to be counted as dry like most of the other Airlines that operate out of there then WN could only operate out of there with a prohibitively restrictive passenger and fuel load under wet runway conditions.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines
 
ScottB
Posts: 7191
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:21 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
What's Fresno gotta do to get WN service?


1. Needs to be wealthier. It was #267 out of 276 metro areas in the United States (excluding Puerto Rico) ranked by capita income in 2010. Granted, El Paso and Harlingen both ranked even lower but they've also been in the company's network for 40+ years. HRL also serves a reasonable amount of tourism to South Padre Island.
2. Needs to be farther from the two key regional travel markets -- L.A. and S.F. That's not going to get better. The demand to SAN, LAS, DEN, and PHX is barely large enough each for a daily 737 although low fare stimulation would help.

With WN doing the network equivalent of searching the couch cushions for loose change over the past several months, I could see them adding FAT to SAN/LAS/DEN/PHX. 1-2x daily at most. Maybe OAK to try to capture some connections to SEA/PDX/GEG/BOI.
 
Flflyer83
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:22 pm

A few years ago, GK said that there are 50 destinations in the US that WN has on their list of possible cities... what’s next on the list? I’m going to guess ANC, MYR, TYS, MSN, BZN, or a return to EYW...
 
jkirbycomix
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:59 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:29 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
First thought: yay, another Florida destination
Second thought: kinda close to TPA
Third thought: What's Fresno gotta do to get WN service?

Evidently, there is nothing they can do at this point. They have the numbers, space and now have the income base. Perhaps perception is a too big a hurdle to overcome...
 
DaCubbyBearBar
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:47 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
A few years ago, GK said that there are 50 destinations in the US that WN has on their list of possible cities... what’s next on the list? I’m going to guess ANC, MYR, TYS, MSN, BZN, or a return to EYW...

I believe that it was 50 cities in North and South America.
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine
 
PVD757
Posts: 3290
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:23 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:49 pm

I think BWI and MDW service are locks. HOU would seem the next best option to connect their network to/from the western US. ATL and BNA are wildcards in my opinion.

This has me wondering as others above mentioned already about DAB and MLB. WN seems all about network building via hubs (I know, they don’t have “hubs”). With that approach, each of those east coast Florida airports should be able to support 1-2 daily BWI flights and 1-2 westbound flight (MDW, HOU or BNA).

EYW to MCO too??
Last edited by PVD757 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 
evank516
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:51 pm

WN’s recent adds have certainly piqued my interest. They’ve been kind of lackluster in my opinion after they started LGA-MCI. Given the crazy reductions by other carriers I’m staring to give them a second look when it comes to travel once I’m ready again. Let’s see what other cities they announce because they meet a good portion of my leisure travel needs thus far. Just one city missing.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3939
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:56 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
A few years ago, GK said that there are 50 destinations in the US that WN has on their list of possible cities... what’s next on the list? I’m going to guess ANC, MYR, TYS, MSN, BZN, or a return to EYW...


Here are the top remaining U.S. markets without WN service by number of domestic passengers in 2019:
ANC, MYR, SYR, TYS, MSN, GSO, XNA, DAY, FAT, VPS
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8785
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:57 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
A few years ago, GK said that there are 50 destinations in the US that WN has on their list of possible cities... what’s next on the list? I’m going to guess ANC, MYR, TYS, MSN, BZN, or a return to EYW...


ANC = too far, and too seasonal (Sure, HNL is far, but it gets 3x the traffic. Even OGG gets a lot more traffic.)

BZN = too summer seasonal, without getting the big fare premium of some Colorado ski destinations

I dismissed the idea of 50 when GK was first cited, not thinking they would consider ORD or MIA and compete with their own ops. I can be happy to see what they try and see what succeeds long term.
 
evank516
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:04 pm

PVD757 wrote:
I think BWI and MDW service are locks. HOU would seem the next best option to connect their network to/from the western US. ATL and BNA are wildcards in my opinion.

This has me wondering as others above mentioned already about DAB and MLB. WN seems all about network building via hubs (I know, they don’t have “hubs”). With that approach, each of those east coast Florida airports should be able to support 1-2 daily BWI flights and 1-2 westbound flight (MDW, HOU or BNA).

EYW to MCO too??


I could see DAB supporting 2x BWI and BNA. 1x MDW and DAL would probably go over rather well too. I remember when FL was in DAB their BWI flight outperformed ATL in terms of loads. I think loads were in the 90s.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14724
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:25 pm

PVD757 wrote:
I think BWI and MDW service are locks. HOU would seem the next best option to connect their network to/from the western US. ATL and BNA are wildcards in my opinion.

This has me wondering as others above mentioned already about DAB and MLB. WN seems all about network building via hubs (I know, they don’t have “hubs”). With that approach, each of those east coast Florida airports should be able to support 1-2 daily BWI flights and 1-2 westbound flight (MDW, HOU or BNA).

EYW to MCO too??


Although WN is certainly looking in a variety of places for possible adds (the finding the coins in the couch metaphor is apt), they do not seem too eager to open smaller stations. The trouble with places on the east coast of Florida is that WN's weakness in the northeast means that their network is probably better suited to destinations on the west coast and even in the panhandle - look at how they make both PNS and ECP work even though they're only an hour apart or so.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
AC4500
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:30 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
ANC = too far, and too seasonal (Sure, HNL is far, but it gets 3x the traffic. Even OGG gets a lot more traffic.)

The only way that ANC could work for WN would be PDX-ANC.

ANC would be too far from OAK/SJC/SMF in order to operate efficiently. That leaves SEA/PDX. ANC-SEA is already way too crowded as it is. So PDX is it. I could see 2x daily PDX-ANC and maybe even 1x daily PDX-FAI.

MIflyer12 wrote:
BZN = too summer seasonal, without getting the big fare premium of some Colorado ski destinations.

That's what people said about PSP, and yet here we are in 2020. BZN would probably have to be Saturday-only from OAK or SJC and maybe SMF.
Home airport: PDX
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:31 pm

My Guess for SRQ
2 BWI
3 ATL
1 DAL
1 MDW
But since this is the new HUB and Spoke WN
It will probably be.
2 BWI
4 TPA
3 FLL
4 MCO

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
User avatar
9lflyguy
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:32 pm

jplatts wrote:
Flflyer83 wrote:
A few years ago, GK said that there are 50 destinations in the US that WN has on their list of possible cities... what’s next on the list? I’m going to guess ANC, MYR, TYS, MSN, BZN, or a return to EYW...


Here are the top remaining U.S. markets without WN service by number of domestic passengers in 2019:
ANC, MYR, SYR, TYS, MSN, GSO, XNA, DAY, FAT, VPS


XNA would be a great add for WN.
Flown on: 319, 320, 321, 712, 722, 732, 733, 734, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 763, 772, CR2, CR7, CR9, DHA, D8B, D8C, D95, E140, E145, E170, E175, E190, M82, M88, M90, S340
 
AC4500
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:34 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
My Guess for SRQ
2 BWI
3 ATL
1 DAL
1 MDW
But since this is the new HUB and Spoke WN
It will probably be.
2 BWI
4 TPA
3 FLL
4 MCO

Flyguy

If you're basing your logic for SRQ-FLL/TPA/MCO based on WN's recent MCO-RSW add, then that is certainly possible, but it would probably be more like 2x MCO, 1x FLL, 1x TPA.
Home airport: PDX
 
jplatts
Posts: 3939
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:51 pm

AC4500 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
ANC = too far, and too seasonal (Sure, HNL is far, but it gets 3x the traffic. Even OGG gets a lot more traffic.)

The only way that ANC could work for WN would be PDX-ANC.

ANC would be too far from OAK/SJC/SMF in order to operate efficiently. That leaves SEA/PDX. ANC-SEA is already way too crowded as it is. So PDX is it. I could see 2x daily PDX-ANC and maybe even 1x daily PDX-FAI.


If WN does add service to ANC, WN adding ANC-MDW/DEN/LAS/PHX nonstop service are also possibilities in addition to ANC-OAK/PDX/SJC/SMF nonstop service.

ANC-MDW is also likely within the range of Boeing 737's as AS, AA, and UA all have operated Boeing 737-800's on the ANC-ORD route. There are also airports in AK, BC, AB, SK, MB, ND, MN, and WI that WN can divert an ANC-MDW nonstop flight to, whereas California to Hawaii nonstop flights either require continuing towards the destination or turning back around.

WN would also be able to offer connections to Alaska from many destinations in the Eastern U.S. through MDW if it adds MDW-ANC nonstop service.
 
PI4EVR
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:29 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:54 pm

In a stretch I'd see SRQ-FLL for connections, but no to TPA and MCO. Too expensive to fly to those very close by cities and no local traffic between them.
I'd say ATL, BWI, MDW, DAL and possibly HOU, but MDW and DAL would handle connections to the West so iffy on HOU.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:01 pm

jplatts wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
ANC = too far, and too seasonal (Sure, HNL is far, but it gets 3x the traffic. Even OGG gets a lot more traffic.)

The only way that ANC could work for WN would be PDX-ANC.

ANC would be too far from OAK/SJC/SMF in order to operate efficiently. That leaves SEA/PDX. ANC-SEA is already way too crowded as it is. So PDX is it. I could see 2x daily PDX-ANC and maybe even 1x daily PDX-FAI.


If WN does add service to ANC, WN adding ANC-MDW/DEN/LAS/PHX nonstop service are also possibilities in addition to ANC-OAK/PDX/SJC/SMF nonstop service.

ANC-MDW is also likely within the range of Boeing 737's as AS, AA, and UA all have operated Boeing 737-800's on the ANC-ORD route. There are also airports in AK, BC, AB, SK, MB, ND, MN, and WI that WN can divert an ANC-MDW nonstop flight to, whereas California to Hawaii nonstop flights either require continuing towards the destination or turning back around.

WN would also be able to offer connections to Alaska from many destinations in the Eastern U.S. through MDW if it adds MDW-ANC nonstop service.


ANC-MDW even with that MAX will be restricted by Runway limitations at MDW.

ANC would like be just DEN,OAK and seasonal LAS and HNL.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
jplatts
Posts: 3939
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:06 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
But since this is the new HUB and Spoke WN
4 TPA
3 FLL
4 MCO


PI4EVR wrote:
In a stretch I'd see SRQ-FLL for connections, but no to TPA and MCO. Too expensive to fly to those very close by cities and no local traffic between them.
I'd say ATL, BWI, MDW, DAL and possibly HOU, but MDW and DAL would handle connections to the West so iffy on HOU.


I certainly do not expect WN to ever serve TPA nonstop from SRQ with TPA-SRQ being only 40 miles long, which is shorter than any regularly scheduled nonstop route operated by AA, DL, UA, or WN.

I also probably do not expect WN to ever add SRQ-MCO nonstop service with MCO only being 104 miles long. WN can also connect passengers to SRQ from most of the domestic destinations outside of Florida through non-Florida airports.

I agree that WN adding SRQ-FLL nonstop service might be a possibility with (a) SRQ-FLL being 174 miles long, (b) WN already having some nonstop routes within the contiguous U.S. that are shorter than SRQ-FLL, and (c) there being some O&D on the SRQ-FLL route if WN adds SRQ-FLL nonstop service.
 
joeblow10
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:08 pm

AC4500 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
ANC = too far, and too seasonal (Sure, HNL is far, but it gets 3x the traffic. Even OGG gets a lot more traffic.)

The only way that ANC could work for WN would be PDX-ANC.

ANC would be too far from OAK/SJC/SMF in order to operate efficiently. That leaves SEA/PDX. ANC-SEA is already way too crowded as it is. So PDX is it. I could see 2x daily PDX-ANC and maybe even 1x daily PDX-FAI.

MIflyer12 wrote:
BZN = too summer seasonal, without getting the big fare premium of some Colorado ski destinations.

That's what people said about PSP, and yet here we are in 2020. BZN would probably have to be Saturday-only from OAK or SJC and maybe SMF.


I'm not sure what anybody is talking about here. PDX-ANC on WN? ANC wouldn't work in the summer? Please... the Alaska summer market is virtually unlimited in demand, if the price is right. WN could easily do DEN-ANC and OAK-ANC with 1-2x daily flights and be just fine.

BZN is the same story. The amount of demand being poured into Montana over the past 2-3 years is unbelievable, and yet it continues to see more added because it performs fairly well. To be sure, WN probably can't add 10x daily or more service a la MIA or COS, but a few flights a day wouldn't kill their ability to serve it. That's where WN will either have to deviate from the usual high frequency strategy, or choose not serve the cities.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3466
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:39 pm

evank516 wrote:
WN’s new service announcements are getting interesting. To see them add an airport like SRQ which is sandwiched between TPA and RSW I’d be interested to see if this pattern continues in other similar cities. Wonder if they will look into something like MLB or DAB on the edge of MCO’s catchement area.
Not sure about MLB, the 528 is very convenient compared to 275 through the treacherous bridges to St Pete.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
777Mech
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:49 pm

It was stupid of WN to close SRQ in the first place.

EYW should be next on the list. When they opened EYW after the FL merger; "Key West is a destination our Customers have been eagerly awaiting." Yet look at them now.

Can we have FL back?
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5549
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:04 pm

There is hardly any demand to SRQ west of the Mississippi, it's got to be:

MDW-SRQ
BWI-SRQ
BNA or ATL-SRQ
Wild card of HOU-SRQ

No Chance of FLL/MCO/TPA-SRQ:

RSW-MCO is a much longer drive than SRQ-MCO, and TPA-SRQ......c'mon now, SRQ is literally across the bay. AA doesn't even fly SRQ-MIA, if that says anything about the chances of SRQ-FLL....
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
ScottB
Posts: 7191
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:06 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
BZN is the same story. The amount of demand being poured into Montana over the past 2-3 years is unbelievable, and yet it continues to see more added because it performs fairly well. To be sure, WN probably can't add 10x daily or more service a la MIA or COS, but a few flights a day wouldn't kill their ability to serve it.


BZN would be no problem for today's WN because they've got such a huge operation at DEN. Basically it'd operate just like what they're planning for HDN and MTJ, but the market can support year-round service. 3x daily to DEN and weekend service to one or more of DAL/OAK/LAX/PHX/LAS/MDW would probably work.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3939
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:26 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
There is hardly any demand to SRQ west of the Mississippi


Even though DFW is located west of the Mississippi River, there is certainly some demand to SRQ from destinations west of the Mississippi River with AA serving SRQ nonstop from DFW. AA probably wouldn't be serving SRQ nonstop from DFW if enough demand to SRQ wasn't there from destinations west of the Mississippi River.

WN adding DAL-SRQ nonstop service is a possibility with there being some O&D between Dallas and Sarasota.
 
elbandgeek
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:29 pm

If they're jumping back into some of the closed FL cities I wonder if we could see them try some combo of MLI/PIA/BMI. Each on their own isn't very large but they combine for a sizeable population that's just far enough from MDW and STL to not be worth driving just to fly them.
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:27 pm

Has Southwest pulled out of Cozumel?
Regarding FL: I think that VPS would have worked just as well as SRQ. A STL-VPS flight would be a hit given how many St. Louisans go to Destin
Next flights:
Who knows? :/
 
evank516
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:28 pm

flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
WN’s new service announcements are getting interesting. To see them add an airport like SRQ which is sandwiched between TPA and RSW I’d be interested to see if this pattern continues in other similar cities. Wonder if they will look into something like MLB or DAB on the edge of MCO’s catchement area.
Not sure about MLB, the 528 is very convenient compared to 275 through the treacherous bridges to St Pete.


Good point. Had a funeral in Mims back in August and flew into MCO. Way easier to get to Brevard from MCO than Volusia to be honest.
 
deltairlines
Posts: 7164
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 4:47 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:34 pm

jplatts wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
There is hardly any demand to SRQ west of the Mississippi


Even though DFW is located west of the Mississippi River, there is certainly some demand to SRQ from destinations west of the Mississippi River with AA serving SRQ nonstop from DFW. AA probably wouldn't be serving SRQ nonstop from DFW if enough demand to SRQ wasn't there from destinations west of the Mississippi River.

WN adding DAL-SRQ nonstop service is a possibility with there being some O&D between Dallas and Sarasota.


AA has grown quite a bit on SRQ-DFW. When they started it was a couple of RJs; now it goes up to 2x mainline during peak season.

My folks have a house in Lakewood Ranch - that whole area has been exploding over the past five years and even with COVID, there hasn't been any real sign of it slowing down in my visits down there throughout the year.
 
AC4500
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:37 pm

jplatts wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
There is hardly any demand to SRQ west of the Mississippi


Even though DFW is located west of the Mississippi River, there is certainly some demand to SRQ from destinations west of the Mississippi River with AA serving SRQ nonstop from DFW. AA probably wouldn't be serving SRQ nonstop from DFW if enough demand to SRQ wasn't there from destinations west of the Mississippi River.

WN adding DAL-SRQ nonstop service is a possibility with there being some O&D between Dallas and Sarasota.

The difference is that AA connects what very little "demand" there is through their DFW hub, which helps to fill up their DFW-SRQ flight(s). While Southwest does rely on some connections through DAL/HOU, their hubs and focus cities are more centered around O&D traffic from point A to point B. If AA had very little connecting traffic through their DFW hub to SRQ and had to solely rely on O&D demand, I don't think they would be flying that route at all.
Home airport: PDX
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 805
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:45 pm

777Mech wrote:
It was stupid of WN to close SRQ in the first place.

EYW should be next on the list. When they opened EYW after the FL merger; "Key West is a destination our Customers have been eagerly awaiting." Yet look at them now.

Can we have FL back?


I would LUV for EYW to be added. It would save a ton of drive time to MTH for us. With runway length being the major issue, I guess the 737-7 would have to be seriously weight restricted, and that doesn't sit well with WN I would wager. Just my butt in the seat pax opinion. I will let the experts speak more towards that. :stirthepot:
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest To Launch SRQ Flights Q12021

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:53 pm

First off with the SRQ-TPA and SRQ-MCO I was joking since there stupidly doing COS-DEN.
AirTran flew SRQ-MDW,ATL and BWI. I'd expect something similar.
2 daily SRQ-FLL wouldn't be a surprise for connecting it to other destinations.
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos