Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MrPeanut

Re: Any possibility of WN announcing new nonstop routes out of DAL in the upcoming 8/13/2020 schedule extension?

Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Considering the amount of cuts already announced for September, it’s highly unlikely.

https://crankyflier.com/2020/08/10/sout ... ins-quiet/

OzarkD9S

Re: Any possibility of WN announcing new nonstop routes out of DAL in the upcoming 8/13/2020 schedule extension?

Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:43 pm

The OP's obsession with new routes in the middle of the worst downturn in aviation history defies all logic.
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

Ishrion

Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:51 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
The OP's obsession with new routes in the middle of the worst downturn in aviation history defies all logic.

So what do you consider Alaska’s recent additions of LAX-LIH/KOA/EUG/MFR/RDM/FAT/BOI/MSO/BZM/FLL/RSW, SAN-MSO/FLL/SBA/CUN and JetBlue’s 30-route expansion during the worst downturn in aviation history?

Additionally, there’s United’s new ORD-TLV and the resumption of ORD-HKG next month. Also, United just added five routes over the weekend.

In late May, Southwest added 11 routes set to launch at the end of this year. American plans to launch SEA-PVG, JFK-ATH/TLV next year.

Of course, these expansion plans can change, but airlines obviously aren’t completely holding off plans to add new routes.

wnflyguy

Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:03 pm

I'm sure WN will plan for the possibilities of a lower covid environment. But given that January,February and March are some of the slowest times in the industry I'm gonna guess they will plan on a schedule like they have now. Giving them the flexibility if things keep sluggish they have the ability to reduce flying but yet keep the network connected.
September schedule was built to have that effect I see this for future until the US is out of the Covid environment.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

usxguy

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:03 pm

Ishrion wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

So what do you consider Alaska’s recent additions of LAX-LIH/KOA/EUG/MFR/RDM/FAT/BOI/MSO/BZM/FLL/RSW, SAN-MSO/FLL/SBA/CUN and JetBlue’s 30-route expansion during the worst downturn in aviation history?

Additionally, there’s United’s new ORD-TLV and the resumption of ORD-HKG next month. Also, United just added five routes over the weekend.

In late May, Southwest added 11 routes set to launch at the end of this year. American plans to launch SEA-PVG, JFK-ATH/TLV next year.

Of course, these expansion plans can change, but airlines obviously aren’t completely holding off plans to add new routes.

Alaska - most of those are with regional jets, and the rest are sporadic or very targeted adds. I'd be surprised if they stick, but most start around Thanksgiving, no?

United - the domestic adds were with regional jets, I believe. And I'm hearing that HKG is now nixed.

I can see a few strategic moves from WN's standpoint, but I agree with Cranky Flier/Brett - they are gonna focus on a more regional hub/spoke with some of the retractions.
xx

jplatts

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:35 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
There is zero chance of WN or any other carrier announcing any new service any time soon (probably until at least Q2 2021). Did you miss the part about the plague and air service being down 70-90%?

MIflyer12 wrote:
Operating ~75% of last year's plan when the industry is down ~70% (and revenues even more than that) seems beyond optimistic. Hence the WN cuts for September outlined by enilria today.

While I understand that demand for air travel is down 70% to 90% as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, WN would likely want to utilize its gates at DAL to the extent possible with DAL being limited to 20 gates. In addition, WN also would likely want to defend market share in the Dallas/Fort Worth market with DAL being the home base for WN and with DAL being one of the biggest WN stations in WN's network. WN would also want to have access to as many gates as possible at DAL once demand for domestic air travel starts to increase again.

One of the main reasons why I asked if there was any possibility of WN announcing new nonstop routes out of DAL in the upcoming 8/13/2020 schedule extension was WN will probably be operating fewer than 195 daily departures out of DAL in the near future, even if WN has currently 195 daily departures out of DAL in its December 2020 flight schedule. Another main reason why I asked the question is that WN now has room at DAL to add a few new nonstop routes out of DAL with the cuts that WN has made at DAL in the last 5 months, and WN is also expected to make some additional cuts at DAL due to the decreased demand for air travel.

midway7

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:54 pm

The return of DAL - PDX would be nice. However, I have to agree with many of the responses. I do not see any real growth or reinstatements for some time.

OzarkD9S

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Re: AS/B6, they're throwing mess at the wall and seeing what sticks. We'll see what does. WN is much more methodical these days but the OP has a track record of constantly spouting WN expansion ideas that have a limited chance of coming to fruition. Especially these days. If ever.

jamie22

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:30 pm

MrPeanut wrote:
Considering the amount of cuts already announced for September, it’s highly unlikely.

https://crankyflier.com/2020/08/10/sout ... ins-quiet/

Yeah, that's true. Sad but true.

TYWoolman

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:01 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Re: AS/B6, they're throwing mess at the wall and seeing what sticks. We'll see what does. WN is much more methodical these days but the OP has a track record of constantly spouting WN expansion ideas that have a limited chance of coming to fruition. Especially these days. If ever.

And you keep on responding to them. Let the OP say what he wants. No need to judge. Answer or don't. These retort responses are the annoying ones. Including mine. Keep 'em comin' OP! I hope whoever you know in DAL working for Southwest can get back flying!

jplatts

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:21 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:

There had been some new nonstop routes that had been added by WN out of DAL in the last 4 years such as DAL-BOI/CLE/JAX/SDF/MSP/ONT/RNO/TUS/PBI, but WN dropped DAL-BOI/JAX/RNO/TUS/PBI nonstop service prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and temporarily suspended DAL-CLE/SDF/MSP/ONT nonstop service as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The circumstances have also changed at DAL with WN now having room to add additional nonstop routes out of DAL with the cuts that WN has made on existing service out of DAL in the last 5 months, whereas WN was maxed out at DAL prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

RL757PVD

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:34 pm

With demand being what it is, I expect airlines to double down on Florida as a last hope to generate or recover some cash after losing out on the summer peak. I expect we will see more NE-Florida flying with some possibilities and new routes like MHT/ALB/ROC-RSW and daily PVD-PBI for more than the few peak weeks.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

wnflyguy

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:55 am

Well on a positive note heard today that WN is getting 2 more gates at HNL. Gates G5 and G6 these both have jetways. Bringing the Total WN Gates to 6.
4 hard stand and 2 jetways.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

DaCubbyBearBar

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:35 am

wnflyguy wrote:
Well on a positive note heard today that WN is getting 2 more gates at HNL. Gates G5 and G6 these both have jetways. Bringing the Total WN Gates to 6.

Flyguy

WRONG!!!! ABSOLUTELY NO WAY UA GIVES UP THOSE GATES!!!
Not sure who your “source” is but UA is the primary tenant on those gates, and not giving them up to WN.
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

jplatts

Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:15 pm

midway7 wrote:
However, I have to agree with many of the responses. I do not see any real growth or reinstatements for some time.

I can understand no real growth or reinstatements for some time, but WN would not want to lose access to the 18 gates that it currently uses at DAL with DAL being limited to 20 gates.

WN would also have advantages over new entrants on adds such as DAL-BUF/CVG/BDL/ORF with (a) WN already having brand recognition in the BUF, CVG, DAL, BDL, and ORF markets, (b) WN already having a FF base in the DAL market, and (c) WN being able to offer connections to other Texas destinations at DAL.

One of the reasons why I was asking whether there was a possibility of WN announcing new nonstop routes out of DAL in tomorrow's schedule extension was that WN would not want to lose access to the 18 gates currently in use by WN at DAL.

OzarkD9S

Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:52 pm

WN isn't going to lose DAL gates. They lease 16 and sub-lease 2. They don't need to partake in irrational expansion to preserve their access.

KarlB737

Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:57 pm

jplatts wrote:
Is WN likely to announce any new nonstop routes out of DAL in Thursday's schedule extension?

Why add "new nonstop routes" to your suggested cities only to have them fly practically empty and lose even more money.

wnflyguy

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:17 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Not sure who your “source” is but UA is the primary tenant on those gates, and not giving them up to WN.

This Covid environment completely changed the Landscape of HNL. Spring 2021 the new Hawaiian Terminal opens moving HA A330/321 flights to the new terminal. This will allow the airport the flexibility to move airlines around.
From what I have heard WN's future proposal estimates almost a double increase of daily flights in summer 2021.
WN needs close gates for inter island and mainland connections.
Someone posted on Instagram @Southwesthnl showing the employees trying on the new gates.

Flyguy

737max8

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:26 pm

KarlB737 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Is WN likely to announce any new nonstop routes out of DAL in Thursday's schedule extension?

Why add "new nonstop routes" to your suggested cities only to have them fly practically empty and lose even more money.

Flights from DAL are certainly not flying practically empty...

Although I wonder how much popcorn Network Planning consumes reading these threads.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

MIflyer12

Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:03 pm

737max8 wrote:
KarlB737 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Flights from DAL are certainly not flying practically empty...

Although I wonder how much popcorn Network Planning consumes reading these threads.

With wage susbsidy from the Payroll Support Program, variable cost breakeven is probably 25-30% of last year's revenues - and I mean revenues, not passenger counts. With the end of PSP that probably goes up to 60%+. Do you have any data that confirm WN is getting 60% of last year's revenues out of DAL on average?

Ishrion

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:18 pm

There you go! Southwest is adding Dallas Love Field to Hayden/Steamboat Springs this winter. Operating Saturday/Sundays only.

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/relea ... s-colorado

jplatts

Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:06 pm

Here is the current breakdown of WN nonstop service out of DAL on 4/9/2021 as of today's schedule extension:
5x ABQ, 4x AMA, 7x ATL, 10x AUS, 2x BHM, 6x BNA, 1x BUR, 5x BWI, 1x CHS, 1x CLT, 1x CMH, 5x DCA, 10x DEN, 2x ECP, 4x ELP, 4x FLL, 16x HOU, 1x IND, 6x LAS, 5x LAX, 5x LBB, 4x LGA, 2x LIT, 5x MAF, 6x MCI, 6x MCO, 9x MDW, 2x MEM, 1x MKE, 1x MSP, 7x MSY, 2x OAK, 1x OMA, 1x ONT, 6x PHX, 1x PIT, 1x RDU, 1x RNO, 1x RSW, 5x SAN, 10x SAT, 1x SDF, 3x SJC, 1x SLC, 1x SMF, 1x SNA, 6x STL, 4x TPA, 3x TUL

193 daily departures out of DAL on 4/9/2021
DAL-SNA nonstop service scheduled to resume on 10/8/2020
DAL-RNO resuming and increased to daily nonstop service starting on 1/5/2021

MrPeanut

Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:56 pm

The new addition is interesting. Due to the international restrictions, airlines are starting to focus on more US tourist destinations. UA announced all those new routes to Florida for this winter, and now WN going in the opposite direction as UA and focusing on the ski destinations. Florida seems like it was already over saturated with flights even before UA decided to add those flights. Maybe focusing on the ski destinations is a better move.

OAHU747

Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:59 am

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Better get a new source, the G6 jetway doesn't bend low enough to accommodate a WN 737.
My posts and opinions are mine only and are not from or representative of Southwest Airlines.

sprxUSA

Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:37 pm

OAHU747 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Better get a new source, the G6 jetway doesn't bend low enough to accommodate a WN 737.

Well you know they could actually replace the jetway with a new one that could accommodate a 737......
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

wnflyguy

Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:42 pm

OAHU747 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Well hopefully you can show All of us pictures and all the operational functions of the G6 jetway.

Thanks in advance
Flyguy

jplatts

Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:38 pm

Here are the 20 stations with the lowest load factors on WN in May 2020:
LIH - 2.64%
KOA - 3.19%
OGG - 4.76%
ITO - 5.59%
HNL - 7.13%
LGB - 10.90%
CRP - 11.65%
GSP - 12.82%
ICT - 13.28%
DSM - 13.51%
SDF - 17.67%
PWM - 17.79%
SFO - 18.77%
RIC - 18.80%
AMA - 19.50%
BOS - 19.65%
LIT - 19.89%
CVG - 20.15%
SJC - 20.50%
DCA - 20.78%

Here are the 20 stations with the highest load factors on WN in May 2020:
ELP - 48.04%
BOI - 44.34%
SLC - 42.27%
ECP - 41.31%
SJU - 41.08%
TUS - 40.31%
RSW - 39.65%
PHX - 39.57%
PNS - 38.61%
GEG - 38.25%
ISP - 36.94%
PBI - 35.92%
LAX - 35.06%
MEM - 34.96%
TPA - 34.28%
BHM - 34.08%
OKC - 33.79%
DAL - 33.76%
DEN - 32.99%
ATL - 32.80%

LotsaRunway

Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:42 pm

jplatts wrote:
LIH - 2.64%
KOA - 3.19%
OGG - 4.76%
ITO - 5.59%
HNL - 7.13%

Hawaii??? Ouch!

jplatts

Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:44 pm

Here are the U.S. stations where WN carried the fewest number of passengers in May 2020:
LIH - 559
LGA - 875
KOA - 1005
ITO - 1213
OGG - 1532
CRP - 2055
GSP - 2276
ICT - 2383
DSM - 2657
ROC - 2892
PWM - 3160
RIC - 3328
AMA - 3465
IAD - 3802
GRR - 4512
HRL - 4853
LIT - 5359
CVG - 5677
ISP - 5743
MAF - 5819

Here are the U.S. stations where WN carried the most passengers in May 2020:
DEN - 314879
MDW - 280477
DAL - 238573
PHX - 229153
LAS - 225160
BWI - 215870
HOU - 132670
ATL - 132163
BNA - 125749
LAX - 110680
TPA - 100026
STL - 98914
MCO - 96441
SAN - 88688
OAK - 88297
SMF - 85363
MCI - 59667
FLL - 58993
AUS - 50007
RSW - 45722

737max8

Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:36 pm

This was the peak low travel time stemming from covid...this data doesn't really mean anything.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

wnflyguy

Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:43 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I reached out to HNL airport operations in regards to the aircraft that can use the jetways on the diamond head gates.
Diamond head gates G1-G6 can handle Jet aircraft sizes From a E175 to a 747-400. Aircraft from the 787-E175 use the the A jetways at each gate for Wing clearance.

Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SANFan

Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:11 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
I reached out to HNL airport operations in regards to the aircraft that can use the jetways on the diamond head gates.
Diamond head gates G1-G6 can handle Jet aircraft sizes From a E175 to a 747-400. Aircraft from the 787-E175 use the the B jetways at each gate for Wing clearance.

Flyguy

Maybe you should have simply asked if WN is going to be using G5-G6...

bb

wnflyguy

Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:17 pm

SANFan wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Diamond head gates G1-G6 can handle Jet aircraft sizes From a E175 to a 747-400. Aircraft from the 787-E175 use the the B jetways at each gate for Wing clearance.

Flyguy

Maybe you should have simply asked if WN is going to be using G5-G6...

bb

I did but they just said they can't give out Airline information I would need to contact the airline directly for the information.

Flyguy

Silver1SWA

Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:18 am

LotsaRunway wrote:
jplatts wrote:
LIH - 2.64%
KOA - 3.19%
OGG - 4.76%
ITO - 5.59%
HNL - 7.13%

Hawaii??? Ouch!

That was because of the interisland quarantine. When it lifted at the end of May loads improved significantly. Unfortunately the quarantine was reinstated so back to depressing...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Silver1SWA

Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:21 am

wnflyguy wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Diamond head gates G1-G6 can handle Jet aircraft sizes From a E175 to a 747-400. Aircraft from the 787-E175 use the the A jetways at each gate for Wing clearance.

Flyguy

G6 jetway cannot handle a 737. WN uses G6 from time to time but with air stairs.

As for the gate situation. All gates are technically common use and WN is welcome to use gates in the main concourses if they’re willing to play musical gates like everyone else. There has been talks of using some of the G1-5 gates if needed, especially for inbound OAK flights where there’s more room to process inbound passengers for the quarantine.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

OAHU747

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:36 am

wnflyguy wrote:
OAHU747 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Well hopefully you can show All of us pictures and all the operational functions of the G6 jetway.

Thanks in advance
Flyguy

That's secure and confidential information.
My posts and opinions are mine only and are not from or representative of Southwest Airlines.

wnflyguy

Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:42 pm

OAHU747 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
OAHU747 wrote:

Thanks in advance
Flyguy

That's secure and confidential information.

It's no secret WN wants to be bigger in Hawaii.
The MAX grounding forced them to pump the brakes and slow down the plans.
With this Covid fallout and everyone becoming a smaller airline I wouldn't be surprised if WN was actually trying to get more gates with everyone's reduced schedules. Without the Covid environment WN probably would have started filling the gaps between other airline flight schedules on Diamond head anyway.
It's a positive thing in this horrible Covid environment of industry doom and gloom with so many layoff speculations.
Again Regardless of the covid environment WN was eventually going to need to add flights to gates beyond G7-G10. Now With Hawaiian moving Wide body flights into it's new terminal when it opens. It Makes since for HNL airport to make accommodations for it's soon to be 2nd biggest airline. HNL can easily relocate some International airline to the C gates with Hawaiian departure for the new terminal.

Nobody on Airliners.net has Board room secret information. It's just pure speculation by industry nerds Be it WN,UA,DL,B6,AS or who ever else.
Heck maybe WN it's self leaked tidbits About wanting more gates to boost Hawaii staff morale because it's no secret loads have been impacted across the Hawaii system from the 14 day quarantine environment. A way of saying Like hang in there Troops while we're dealing with the day to day we still planning for a Great big beautiful HNL tomorrow flying at the end of every day!

Flyguy

Midwestindy

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:06 pm

WN now has pushed out its cuts through November 2nd:

This is an example of a few markets
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

wnflyguy

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

I can see WN following industry trends cutting November and December down to October levels with the exception of November 20-30 for Thanksgiving travel and December 20-January 2nd for Christmas and New Year's Eve travel.
Flyguy

wnflyguy

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:02 pm

Well Hawaii just extended the 14 day quarantine until October 1,2020.
Let the flights reduction happen in 3,2,1!

Flyguy

piedmontf284000

Southwest to cut 35,000 flights in October

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Southwest announced it will cut 35,000 flights in October when the stimulus money runs out.

The average airport in the southwest network will see about 15 flights a day disappear. Dallas Love will see 60 a day disappear. Some of the larger stations like MDW, BWI, and HOU will probably see the same or more.

The article is "exclusive" content but if you read a paragraph at a time and just keep going back and forth you can read the whole article

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... -runs-out/

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:35 pm

Southwest trimmed 36% of its schedule for October with an update published last week. according to an analysis from Dallas-based Airline Data Inc. That includes nearly 35,000 flights nationwide and nearly 35% of its traffic out of hometown Dallas, or about 60 flights a day,
from post 416's Dallas News link.

It would be easier to understand the capacity if it were stated as a % of last year's schedule instead of cuts to the previous Oct '20 load. Cutting more than 1,100 flights a day is clearly non-trivial. A press release from Oct '19 references more than 4,000 weekday departures .

jplatts

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:23 am

Will WN have a special 50th anniversary livery with WN's 50th anniversary coming up on June 18, 2021, which is less than 10 months away?

If WN does have plans for a special 50th anniversary livery, I would probably expect some 737-700 and/or 737-800 planes to be repainted with the delays associated with getting the 737 MAX planes back into service.

There was a discussion two years ago about a special WN 50th anniversary livery at https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1398807, but the discussion was prior to the JT 610 crash, the ET 302 crash, or the 737 MAX grounding.

737max8

Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:01 am

jplatts wrote:
Will WN have a special 50th anniversary livery with WN's 50th anniversary coming up on June 18, 2021, which is less than 10 months away?

If WN does have plans for a special 50th anniversary livery, I would probably expect some 737-700 and/or 737-800 planes to be repainted with the delays associated with getting the 737 MAX planes back into service.

There was a discussion two years ago about a special WN 50th anniversary livery at https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1398807, but the discussion was prior to the JT 610 crash, the ET 302 crash, or the 737 MAX grounding.

Hope so, if business is getting somewhat back to normal by mid 2021.

Wonder how a gold fuselage would look with blue and red on the tail in the style of the current livery. Just my idea with a 50 years decal before the tail.

Midwestindy

Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:07 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Chart is no longer up-to-date, looks like BNA is over 90 departures, ATL around 80, and other airports appear to have sizably more flights now
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

WaywardMemphian

Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:17 pm

Nice to see my MEM holding up better than most

Ishrion

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:19 pm

Southwest plans Miami and Palm Springs later this year: https://www.swamedia.com/releases/relea ... ings-calif

jplatts

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:45 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
TYS also seems to fit the bill for ATL service. And of course there is ANC, if they are looking at expanding seasonal markets further.

It's been a slow few years for WN expansion in terms of new domestic cities - I'm guessing this new expansion trend will continue for the next few years

WN had previously stated that it was considering adding service to ANC, and there was a presentation given by Dave Harvey on behalf of Southwest Airlines at the 2016 ACI-NA JumpStart Air Service Development Conference back in June 2016 that said that ANC, CVG, HNL, OGG were the only 4 U.S. markets in the top 50 that weren't served by WN in June 2006.

There was also an article in the Dallas Business Journal titled "Where will Southwest Airlines fly next: Hawaii, South America or elsewhere?" that said that WN is already considering adding service to Alaska, and that article can be found at https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2017/01/24/where-will-southwest-airlines-fly-next.html.

While WN currently serves only ATL nonstop from RIC, WN adding RIC-MDW and RIC-DEN nonstop service are possibilities with
(a) Chicago and Denver being two of the top destinations traveled to from RIC that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from RIC,
(b) MDW and DEN both being major focus cities for WN,
(c) connecting opportunities available at MDW and DEN that aren't available at ATL on WN,
(d) WN having recently added nonstop service to DEN from a few other destinations inherited through the WN-FL merger such as CLT, DSM, MEM, and ICT, and
(e) a significant amount of passengers traveling to Chicago, Denver, and points further west from RIC prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

WN adding service to GSO, FAT, and TYS are also possibilities with GSO, FAT, and TYS being located in three of the largest U.S. metropolitan areas that aren't currently served by WN.

jplatts

Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:47 am

There was an article on Forbes's website titled "Southwest Airlines Loses Another Competitive Advantage" which mentioned that WN has lost a competitive advantage it once had over AA, DL, UA, and AS with AA, DL, UA, and AS all eliminating change fees, and that article can be found at https://www.forbes.com/sites/benbaldanza/2020/09/07/southwest-airlines-loses-another-competitive-advantage/.

blacksoviet

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:49 pm

Why does Southwest refuse to sell the 717 fleet to Delta? Is leasing more profitable?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos