AS737MAX

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:44 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
SAT has historically had a difficult time maintaining air service to cities outside of heavy trunk traffic to busy hubs (DFW, IAH, ATL, etc). There have been many attempts to launch service to “secondary” destinations like, SNA, JAX, ONT, COS, YYZ, etc from SAT and none of them have been successful. Even flights to large hubs like LAX, SFO, MSP, ORD, DEN, DTW are served primarily on regional jets. SAT punches way below its weight for a city its size (it’s metro area is slightly larger than Portland’s).

Agreed. WN is obviously the outlier and SAT seems to be stuck between being an airport that only sees hub flights and an airport roughly the size of PDX.

lhpdx

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:49 pm

+AS AUS-PDX JUN 1.0>1.4[1.0] JUL 1.0>2[1.0] AUG 1.0>2[1.0] SEP 1.0>2[1.0] OCT 1.0>2[1.0] NOV 1.0>1.6[1.0]
-AS BOI-PDX SEP 9>7[7] OCT 9>7[8] NOV 9>8[7]
-AS BOS-PDX OCT 2>1.2[2.0] NOV 2.0>1.4[1.4]
-AS BWI-PDX SEP 1.0>0.3[0] OCT 0.2>0[0]
+AS BZN-PDX SEP 1.0>1.7[1.0] OCT 1.0>1.2[1.0]
+AS EUG-PDX SEP 2>3[3] OCT 2>3[3] NOV 2>3[3]
-AS FCA-PDX OCT 1.0>0.2[0] NOV 1.0>0.4[0]
-AS GEG-PDX OCT 8>7[9]
+AS KOA-PDX SEP 0.6>0.9[0] OCT 0.5>1.0[0] NOV 0.8>1.0[0.9]
+AS MSO-PDX JUN 1.6>2[1.0] JUL 1.0>2[1.0] AUG 1.0>2[1.0] SEP 1.0>2[1.0] OCT 1.0>1.2[1.0]
+AS OAK-PDX SEP 3>4[3] OCT 3>4[3]
-AS OGG-PDX SEP 2>1.3[1.0] OCT 2>1.0[2] NOV 2>1.4[2]
-AS ORD-PDX OCT 2>1.2[2.0] NOV 2>1.4[1.5]
+AS PDX-PHX SEP 2>3[2] OCT 2>3[2] NOV 2>3[2.0] DEC 2>3[2]
+AS PDX-PSP SEP 0>0.7[0.1] OCT 1.0>1.8[1.3] NOV 1.6>2[1.9]
+AS PDX-PVR OCT 0.1>0.5[0] NOV 0.3>0.6[0.5]
-AS PDX-SFO OCT 8>7[7]
+AS PDX-SJD OCT 0.1>0.5[0] NOV 0.3>0.6[0.5]
-AS PDX-SLC SEP 4>3[2] OCT 4>2[2] NOV 4>3[2]
AS RDM-SEA OCT 5>6[6]

SY MSP-PDX AUG 0.8>1.0[1.0] SEP 0>0.8[0.9] NOV 0>0.7[0.8]
UA EWR-PDX AUG 2>1.5[2] SEP 2>1.0[1.9]
UA DEN-MFR SEP 4>3[3] OCT 4>3[3] NOV 4>3[3] DEC 4>3[3]

**Y4 MLM-PDX JUL 0>0.3[0] AUG 0>0.3[0] SEP 0>0.3[0] OCT 0>0.3[0] NOV 0>0.3[0] DEC 0>0.3[0]

TransWorldOne

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:22 pm

Volaris is launching PDX-Michoacan nonstop?! Who wants to place bets on how long this one will last? I give it one year tops, and that's if it ever actually launches. Why would Y4 think they could make a route like this work when AM couldn't even make PDX-MEX work? This one is a head scratcher for sure.

Chugach

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:31 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
Volaris is launching PDX-Michoacan nonstop?! Who wants to place bets on how long this one will last? I give it one year tops, and that's if it ever actually launches. Why would Y4 think they could make a route like this work when AM couldn't even make PDX-MEX work? This one is a head scratcher for sure.

Big migrant population in Oregon from that part of Mexico. It’s a bit of a head scratcher but not entirely unrealistic. They’ve obviously had some success with their existing PDX-GDL service.

ANA787

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:43 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:

Mexicana Airlines also operated this route PDX-MLM for a time, in addition to PDX-GDL and PDX-MEX. I am still surprised PDX-MEX has not yet returned- 84,000 passengers travelled this route nonstop in 2018 with AM. Just a matter of time in my opinion.

bigfoot0503

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:17 am

TransWorldOne wrote:

Frankly, I’m a bit surprised that Volaris took this long to announce additional PDX flights. Volaris is on record from last year specifically stating that their plans to expand their North American footprint involved a handful of cities; to include Portland. Their passenger numbers on the Guadalajara flights have been solid and the schedule has incrementally increased to service 7 days/week in certain parts of the year.

As far as Morelia being viable, I trust that Volaris has a firm idea as to the passenger demand for this route. Just from my own observations, having worked in municipal government in Washington County; I consistently encountered a fairly significant amount of people from the Mexican state of Michoacán who now reside in the Portland metro area. I applaud Volaris in this flight addition out of PDX and look forward to the routes success.

jbpdx

Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:09 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:

As far as Morelia being viable, I trust that Volaris has a firm idea as to the passenger demand for this route.

It’s Monday Friday only. Maybe they’ll add MEX too.

Meanwhile, the Haneda flight starts in four weeks, if the virus doesn’t get it.
trump is a liar, a sociopath and a traitor

pdx

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:29 am

jbpdx wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:

As far as Morelia being viable, I trust that Volaris has a firm idea as to the passenger demand for this route.

It’s Monday Friday only. Maybe they’ll add MEX too.

Meanwhile, the Haneda flight starts in four weeks, if the virus doesn’t get it.

I'm afraid the virus might affect it too, but I hope not. For those who are interested, the 332 (to HND) arrives from
MSP as DL752 on 28MAR and the 763 (from NRT) departs for MSP on 29MAR as DL860. Good flights!

jbpdx

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:11 pm

Delta announces SEA-LHR and the Portland bashers wasted no time in declaring Delta’s PDX-LHR dead. I guess we’re supposed to read between the lines and assume that means Delta is retreating in Portland and that PDX passengers need to suck it up, waste time connecting in Seattle and help fill those seats.
There is no way Seattle can manage that many flights to London. Unless they want to run each one 30% full. Someone will blink. Delta didn’t give any specifics so I take it with a grain of salt. Irrational exuberance is running amuck.

DeltaPSCFlyer

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:19 am

jbpdx wrote:
Delta announces SEA-LHR and the Portland bashers wasted no time in declaring Delta’s PDX-LHR dead. I guess we’re supposed to read between the lines and assume that means Delta is retreating in Portland and that PDX passengers need to suck it up, waste time connecting in Seattle and help fill those seats.
There is no way Seattle can manage that many flights to London. Unless they want to run each one 30% full. Someone will blink. Delta didn’t give any specifics so I take it with a grain of salt. Irrational exuberance is running amuck.

Right, the original poster declared LHR-PDX on DL was being discontinued with no verification at all for it. The link to the DL news release made absolutely no mention of the status of the PDX flight, either.

When DL originally launched SEA-LHR with a 763 several years ago, they operated it for a few years, and then it transitioned to a VS 787. I agree that there is no way SEA-LHR can support all these flights, either. DY's days may be numbered as well, so out goes their SEA-LGW route. I don't know the legalities behind VS's LHR slots to the U.S., but it would not at all surprise me if one of their SEA-LHR slots was moved to PDX. A 787 duel between VS and BA in PDX, but both could win that battle, and DL would still make revenue by selling seats on their joint venture partner's flight. The alternate outcome here might be for BA to offer double daily PDX-LHR during the summer if it looks like VS might try to move in.

Should be interesting to watch!

jbpdx

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:27 am

DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Right, the original poster declared LHR-PDX on DL was being discontinued with no verification at all for it. The link to the DL news release made absolutely no mention of the status of the PDX flight, either.

When DL originally launched SEA-LHR with a 763 several years ago, they operated it for a few years, and then it transitioned to a VS 787. I agree that there is no way SEA-LHR can support all these flights, either. DY's days may be numbered as well, so out goes their SEA-LGW route. I don't know the legalities behind VS's LHR slots to the U.S., but it would not at all surprise me if one of their SEA-LHR slots was moved to PDX. A 787 duel between VS and BA in PDX, but both could win that battle, and DL would still make revenue by selling seats on their joint venture partner's flight. The alternate outcome here might be for BA to offer double daily PDX-LHR during the summer if it looks like VS might try to move in.

The whole game that’s being played in Seattle is becoming extremely clear.

Ishrion

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:31 am

DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

:shhh:

midway7

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:59 pm

Looks like DL just downgraded PDX-NRT to 3x weekly from 7MAR to 30APR.

as737

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:31 pm

midway7 wrote:

With the coronavirus situation it's hardly surprising to see this.
717 737 738 739 752 753 763 772 773 789 a320 a321 a332 crj2 crj7 crj9 e175 e195 q400 md80 md90 dc10

onwFan

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:46 pm

DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

As the ‘original poster’, Just to make it clear, I made no ‘declaration’. I said it was my pragmatic guess - I can totally understand if you don’t like the idea or take objection to it. And I am in no way a Portland basher: if it came across that way, I apologize because I never intended to. In a way, I am glad that PDX gets a year-round to LHR with BA in addition to AMS with DL. I even think there is a good chance that DL will move the LHR route to CDG- they flew LHR because it had the highest O&D and there was no competitor.

That being said, I am surprised that you have arrived at the conclusion that VS may drop their 5x weekly flight; and yet you think they will launch PDX. My logic was that PDX is not a turf that DL would be particularly keen to defend, especially to LHR, especially now given the threat to SEA. They have PDX-AMS, a route that has existed since NW times. The way I see it is PDX-LHR and PDX-HND were opportunistic icings on the cake, ripe to be picked up by anyone else who is better poised to succeed. Till now, no one was in a better position; but with AS joining oneworld, BA and JL are better candidates.

PS: I somehow get a feeling that it is taboo on here to predict route cuts. I am fairly new here, so if it is objectionable to share such a rational thought process, let me know and I will refrain.

Chugach

Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 pm

onwFan wrote:
DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

As the ‘original poster’, Just to make it clear, I made no ‘declaration’. I said it was my pragmatic guess - I can totally understand if you don’t like the idea or take objection to it. And I am in no way a Portland basher: if it came across that way, I apologize because I never intended to. In a way, I am glad that PDX gets a year-round to LHR with BA in addition to AMS with DL. I even think there is a good chance that DL will move the LHR route to CDG- they flew LHR because it had the highest O&D and there was no competitor.

That being said, I am surprised that you have arrived at the conclusion that VS may drop their 5x weekly flight; and yet you think they will launch PDX. My logic was that PDX is not a turf that DL would be particularly keen to defend, especially to LHR, especially now given the threat to SEA. They have PDX-AMS, a route that has existed since NW times. The way I see it is PDX-LHR and PDX-HND were opportunistic icings on the cake, ripe to be picked up by anyone else who is better poised to succeed. Till now, no one was in a better position; but with AS joining oneworld, BA and JL are better candidates.

PS: I somehow get a feeling that it is taboo on here to predict route cuts. I am fairly new here, so if it is objectionable to share such a rational thought process, let me know and I will refrain.

Common sense tells me DL will take a wait and see approach on PDX-LHR. I figure one of four things will happen:

1. There really is enough demand to support two airlines during the summer high season and nothing changes.
2. The demand is there, but the route gets swapped out with a VS 787 to free up a DL aircraft for SEA-LHR
3. The demand isn’t there for two airlines, and DL moves the route to a seasonal PDX-CDG
4. The demand isn’t there for two airlines and DL exits completely.

If I had to guess I would guess options 2 or 3. DL does well in PDX and seems to have a pretty healthy FF base here. I’d be surprised if they dumped it completely.

PDXPOL

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:27 pm

Chugach wrote:
onwFan wrote:
DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:

Common sense tells me DL will take a wait and see approach on PDX-LHR. I figure one of four things will happen:

1. There really is enough demand to support two airlines during the summer high season and nothing changes.
2. The demand is there, but the route gets swapped out with a VS 787 to free up a DL aircraft for SEA-LHR
3. The demand isn’t there for two airlines, and DL moves the route to a seasonal PDX-CDG
4. The demand isn’t there for two airlines and DL exits completely.

If I had to guess I would guess options 2 or 3. DL does well in PDX and seems to have a pretty healthy FF base here. I’d be surprised if they dumped it completely.

These are all great possibilities and plausible. I fortunately have seen the international passenger numbers. Even after DL started their LHR fight, London was still the number 1 underserved market in Europe. Chugach is probably right, DL will continue with a watch approach and continue seasonal. However, remember 3 years ago Port Director then Bill Wyatt pitched PDX - LHR to VS. In his all employee meeting he said VS was very interested but said they have no aircraft availability for about 3 years. DL was at the pitch and saw the numbers. They a few months later announced the seasonal LHR flight.

Well we are 3 seasons in to the route. VS very well could take this route over, seasonal or year round. As for CDG, I used to believe but don't see it with DL. It would take from Amsterdam. If CDG came, it would be a JV like Air France.

Talking about Europe, Condor is the big question mark. Their summer load factors are excellent. But can they financially survive as an airline. A few years back at an airline conference, LH scheduled a meeting with Port air development people. This was requested by LH. If Condor flutters or pulls back any, I see LH jumping in for PDX's next European destination.

I usually hear good stuff, but as of late everyone is mum.

bigfoot0503

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:58 am

midway7 wrote:

Unfortunately with the present medical situation in this country and elsewhere it appears contraction was unavoidable. Sadly the impact of the Corona Virus will be significant in the travel and hospitality sectors. I read an article today that stated United Airlines will be temporarily suspending the EUG to Chicago O’Hare flight as well.

DeltaPSCFlyer

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:04 am

midway7 wrote:

Correct. ATL was also downgraded, but to 5x weekly.

The planned changeover from NRT to HND for DL flights to Japan will still occur as originally planned.

SEA-KIX is suspended for this year, with the expectation it will return next year.

lhpdx

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:27 am

midway7

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:36 pm

More Coronavirus Reductions -

Sun Country is also suspending three Portland routes — to and from Honolulu, Las Vegas and San Francisco — for the entire summer.

DeltaPSCFlyer

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:19 am

Wow, so now SY on the domestic side also. Has DL cut any domestic from PDX?

Also have to wonder if BA will delay the start of PDX-LHR, and what moves Icelandair and Condor will take as well.

RWA380

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:40 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

Frankly, I’m a bit surprised that Volaris took this long to announce additional PDX flights. Volaris is on record from last year specifically stating that their plans to expand their North American footprint involved a handful of cities; to include Portland. Their passenger numbers on the Guadalajara flights have been solid and the schedule has incrementally increased to service 7 days/week in certain parts of the year.

As far as Morelia being viable, I trust that Volaris has a firm idea as to the passenger demand for this route. Just from my own observations, having worked in municipal government in Washington County; I consistently encountered a fairly significant amount of people from the Mexican state of Michoacán who now reside in the Portland metro area. I applaud Volaris in this flight addition out of PDX and look forward to the routes success.

Absolutely a well placed service to meet the travel needs of an immigrant community. Do you think this region will ever surpass Jalisco as the predominant origin state in Washington County? Which has been why GDL has done well for Y4 & did before for MX.

Y4 really seems to know the immigrant communities in the areas they serve, I hear they are paying some ethnic agencies commission on sales like it used to be with incremental contracts based on sales.

midway7 wrote:
More Coronavirus Reductions -

Sun Country is also suspending three Portland routes — to and from Honolulu, Las Vegas and San Francisco — for the entire summer.

Other than MSP, that is their operation here during the summer. I can see how this might see SY retreat out of the PDX market as any type of hub.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

jbpdx

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:01 am

Still no January PDX traffic numbers from PoP, the last month before coronavirus impact.

pdx

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:16 am

As of 07MAR, SY will fly to MSP, BNA, STL, and MSN from PDX this summer.
FYI...the one-way fare to SEA is $19.40! It was $19 in 1983ish...and you had a
choice of many airlines and aircraft!

pdx

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:17 am

As of 07MAR, SY will fly to MSP, BNA, STL, and MSN from PDX this summer.
FYI...the one-way fare to SEA is $19.40! It was $19 in 1983ish...and you had a
choice of many airlines and aircraft!

lhpdx

Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:31 pm

AA LAX-MFR JUN 1.0>0.1[1.0] JUL 1.0>0[1.0] AUG 1.0>0.5[1.0]
B6 BOS-PDX JUN 1.3>0.7[1.1
*DL HND-PDX APR 0.8>0.3[0]
F9 DEN-PDX AUG 0.6>2[1.9] NOV 0>0.6[1.4]
F9 LAS-PDX AUG 0.2>0.6[0] SEP 0>0.5[0] OCT 0>0.6[0] NOV 0>0.2[0.3]
NK LAS-PDX SEP 0.8>3[3] NOV 0>1.7[2]

PDX weakens for SY
*SY BNA-PDX AUG 0.6>0.2[0.6]
SY DFW-MSP MAY 0.6>0.4[0.1]
*SY HNL-PDX JUN 0.3>0[0.3] JUL 0.3>0[0.3] AUG 0.2>0[0.3]
*SY LAS-PDX MAY 0.3>0.0[0.6]
SY MSP-ORD MAY 0.6>0.5[0.6]
SY MSP-SAN MAY 0.8>0.6[0.7]
*SY PDX-SFO JUN 0.3>0[0.5] JUL 0.3>0[0.8] AUG 0.2>0[0.9]

UA EWR-PDX APR 1.9>1.0[1.7]
UA LAX-RDM AUG 2>1.5[1.0] SEP 2>1.0[1.0]
UA ORD-PDX APR 3>2[3]
UA PDX-SFO SEP 8>7[7]

Wingtips56

Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:37 am

I guess the dropped MFR-LAX flight is to fund the second summer seasonal MFR-PHX flight posted last time. There really should be enough market for 2x PHX and still keep the 1X (or more) LAX.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

AS737MAX

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:45 pm

Got an email this morning that my JetSuiteX flights to BFI had been cancelled as part of the start date being pushed back (no date mentioned). Email mentioned "evolving regional situation" over coronavirus. PDX-BFI removed from their route map entirely.

metaldirtnskin

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:51 pm

lhpdx wrote:
AA LAX-MFR JUN 1.0>0.1[1.0] JUL 1.0>0[1.0] AUG 1.0>0.5[1.0]
B6 BOS-PDX JUN 1.3>0.7[1.1
*DL HND-PDX APR 0.8>0.3[0]
F9 DEN-PDX AUG 0.6>2[1.9] NOV 0>0.6[1.4]
F9 LAS-PDX AUG 0.2>0.6[0] SEP 0>0.5[0] OCT 0>0.6[0] NOV 0>0.2[0.3]
NK LAS-PDX SEP 0.8>3[3] NOV 0>1.7[2]

PDX weakens for SY
*SY BNA-PDX AUG 0.6>0.2[0.6]
SY DFW-MSP MAY 0.6>0.4[0.1]
*SY HNL-PDX JUN 0.3>0[0.3] JUL 0.3>0[0.3] AUG 0.2>0[0.3]
*SY LAS-PDX MAY 0.3>0.0[0.6]
SY MSP-ORD MAY 0.6>0.5[0.6]
SY MSP-SAN MAY 0.8>0.6[0.7]
*SY PDX-SFO JUN 0.3>0[0.5] JUL 0.3>0[0.8] AUG 0.2>0[0.9]

UA EWR-PDX APR 1.9>1.0[1.7]
UA LAX-RDM AUG 2>1.5[1.0] SEP 2>1.0[1.0]
UA ORD-PDX APR 3>2[3]
UA PDX-SFO SEP 8>7[7]

UA EUG-LAX APR 1.9>1.0[2]
UA EUG-ORD APR 1.0>0[0] MAY 1.0>0[0]

(confirming the ORD statement earlier, as well as LAX reduction)

jbpdx wrote:
Still no January PDX traffic numbers from PoP, the last month before coronavirus impact.

The EUG numbers for January show a huge YOY growth, but it's because Jan/Feb last year was such a mess due to the weather disruptions around that time. I'd expect the PDX numbers to show something similar.

jbpdx

Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:27 pm

PDX Portland International Airport
January 2020 passenger traffic

(compared with Jan 2019)
Domestic. 1,363,614 +1.9%
International. 58,301 +13%
Total. 1,421,915 +2.4%

This is the last month before any major impact from coronavirus.

lhpdx

Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:56 pm

The Portland business journal stated:

Three airlines have decreased service at Portland International Airport in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

On Friday, Sun Country said it is cutting its summer service from Portland to Honolulu, Las Vegas and San Francisco. It will maintain service from Portland to Minneapolis, Nashville, St. Louis and Madison, Wisconsin.

United Airlines last week said it will reduce its Portland service. Starting April 1, the airline will go from 20 to 16 daily departures.

Last Wednesday, Delta Air Lines said its daily service from Portland to Tokyo will be reduced to three times a week between March 7 and April 30.

RWA380

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:15 am

lhpdx wrote:
The Portland business journal stated:

Three airlines have decreased service at Portland International Airport in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

On Friday, Sun Country said it is cutting its summer service from Portland to Honolulu, Las Vegas and San Francisco. It will maintain service from Portland to Minneapolis, Nashville, St. Louis and Madison, Wisconsin.

United Airlines last week said it will reduce its Portland service. Starting April 1, the airline will go from 20 to 16 daily departures.

Last Wednesday, Delta Air Lines said its daily service from Portland to Tokyo will be reduced to three times a week between March 7 and April 30.

Can't really blame them, I've been flying PDX-RDM-PDX several times this month & the planes are barely half full & it's been so bad that every AS flight I've rode on passes & standby is no issue at all getting seats. I'm doing a mileage run to SEA for segments at $20 a leg, it's totally worth it.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

PDXPOL

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:55 am

DL's PDX to Tokyo is suspended immediately through May 31st.

DeltaPSCFlyer

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:23 am

PDXPOL wrote:

Sad, but understandable. Interesting to see what Icelandair, Condor, and BA decide to do as well. Similarly, will the start of PDX-LHR on BA be delayed or pushed back to next year?

PDX-AMS likely affected also.

But if all this seriously slows or prevents many more cases from those in Europe coming here, then it's a small price to pay short term.

PDXPOL

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:38 am

DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:
PDXPOL wrote:

Sad, but understandable. Interesting to see what Icelandair, Condor, and BA decide to do as well. Similarly, will the start of PDX-LHR on BA be delayed or pushed back to next year?

PDX-AMS likely affected also.

But if all this seriously slows or prevents many more cases from those in Europe coming here, then it's a small price to pay short term.

Yep, PDX - AMS is now suspended. PDX does not meet CDC foreign entry point. Volaris is still operating. I have not seen Iceland Air, but suspect a delay in their return. As long as the travel ban is lifted in April as planned, I suspect BA will still start. But geez, most airlines are reducing international capacity 30 percent. BA, DL, and all others will either suspend or be 3-4 times weekly.

jbpdx

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:37 pm

PDXPOL wrote:

PDX-HND bookable on Delta website, first flight begins 24 March. Portland—London still begins 24 April. Fares are high.

jbpdx

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:54 pm

DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:

Will the start of PDX-LHR on BA be delayed or pushed back to next year?

British Airways website still shows PDX-LHR starting 1 June but 5x/week (Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat).

Ishrion

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:42 pm

jbpdx wrote:
DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:

Will the start of PDX-LHR on BA be delayed or pushed back to next year?

British Airways website still shows PDX-LHR starting 1 June but 5x/week (Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat).

It’s always been 5x weekly.

British Airways will soon become the first airline to offer a year round direct flight from the UK to Portland, Oregon. From June 1, 2020, the airline will launch a five-per-week service to the city from Heathrow Terminal 5.

https://mediacentre.britishairways.com/ ... -319/11920

jbpdx

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Correct. BA is year round but not daily, Delta is daily but seasonal. Condor still shows a 14 April start date.

PDXPOL

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:09 pm

jbpdx wrote:
PDXPOL wrote:

PDX-HND bookable on Delta website, first flight begins 24 March. Portland—London still begins 24 April. Fares are high.

Not sure why it is still bookable. We were updated at work and her is Delta's own media notice on the suspension.

https://news.delta.com/trans-pacific-flying-adjustments

What is very interesting is Delta's own media page has changed since yesterday. PDX - AMS is no longer listed as cancelled. I know these rapidly change. I am off but when I return to work I will be curious of AMS is really cancelled or just reduced.

jbpdx

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:36 am

PDXPOL wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
PDXPOL wrote:

Not sure why it is still bookable. We were updated at work and her is Delta's own media notice on the suspension.

https://news.delta.com/trans-pacific-flying-adjustments

What is very interesting is Delta's own media page has changed since yesterday. PDX - AMS is no longer listed as cancelled. I know these rapidly change. I am off but when I return to work I will be curious of AMS is really cancelled or just reduced.

PDX-AMS resumes 12 April, according to Delta.com

toobz

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:50 am

Just booked HEL-PDX for €318 roundtrip in June on British Airways. HEL-LHR-PDX. Lets see if it sticks.

Chugach

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:28 pm

UA is cutting PDX-EWR, PDX-IAD, and EUG-ORD as part of the COVID-19 schedule reductions.

jbpdx

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:58 pm

February 2020 passenger traffic

(compared with February 2019)

Domestic. + 3.1%
International. + 10.0%
Total. + 3.4%

flyoregon

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:20 pm

jbpdx wrote:
February 2020 passenger traffic

(compared with February 2019)

Domestic. + 3.1%
International. + 10.0%
Total. + 3.4%

Before the world came to a halt.

RWA380

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:34 am

Alaska Airlines is cutting capacity by 70-80% in April, May, June & beyond will be based upon demand.

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2020-03- ... serve-cash

Further the release announces CEO is working for free until end of September & other managers are taking huge cuts. Quite a nice banding together & circling of the wagons.

PDX757

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:14 am

RWA380 wrote:
Alaska Airlines is cutting capacity by 70-80% in April, May, June & beyond will be based upon demand.

Further the release announces CEO is working for free until end of September & other managers are taking huge cuts. Quite a nice banding together & circling of the wagons.

Those are some pretty aggressive measures they're taking. Hopefully it goes well.

flyoregon

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:37 pm

RWA380 wrote:

I assume just as this reduction was a vast change from the originally announced 10% cut, an increase of service could come back sooner than the April, May, June timeline IF things improved? If there’s a need, AS will fill where needed.

jbpdx

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:41 pm

Looks like Alaska is continuing PDX-PVR through 19 May, which was their original seasonal stop date. They have cut off a couple days a week from daily. Start date this fall moved up to 9 October, tentatively.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos