Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vedatil4

Re: Central American Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:19 pm

Mexico news is reporting that Volaris secured IATA code TJX to be used at Tijuana airport: https://www.reportur.com/mexico/2020/12 ... calizador/ (in spanish) The goal is to make transferring to San Diego and southern California using the CBX bridge easier. I know they're building an "in-transit" terminal right now. It seems like formal airport status recognition. I'm thinking Volaris may restart Central America flights to Tijuana. I'm also thinking at some point in the future bags arriving with TJX tags will not be screened by Mexico customs and passengers with TJX tickets will not be screened by Mexico immigration on their way to US immigration and customs. The goal is clear but the intentions and logistics are not. Checking Volaris' website I see that TJX is a destination option now.

LightChop2Chop

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:53 pm

Right now Volaris only has one thing on its mind. finding enough aircraft and routes to get as many of the unused Interjet slots in MEX as they can. Volaris Central America will likely take a back seat till they secure all they can at MEX. I suspect we will see a lot more placeholder MEX-CUN/TIJ/MTY/GDL flights till they can balance out the network.

vedatil4

Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:04 pm

LightChop2Chop wrote:
Right now Volaris only has one thing on its mind. finding enough aircraft and routes to get as many of the unused Interjet slots in MEX as they can. Volaris Central America will likely take a back seat till they secure all they can at MEX. I suspect we will see a lot more placeholder MEX-CUN/TIJ/MTY/GDL flights till they can balance out the network.

You make a solid point. That should be their focus at this point in time. Volaris Central America was/is an interesting experiment but one which should take that back seat. I'm trying to read the tea leaves with the hope they return to TIJ in a few years. The new concept of TJX tickets, the in-transit terminal being built, and more coordinated shuttle service on the US side of the border seemed like good signs. I'm sure it's not easy to get a new IATA airport code.

SJOtoLIR

Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:10 pm

This month we are celebrating 14 years of the Cent Am aviation series: December 2006 - December 2020.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=432713&p=5733797&hilit=Central+American+aviation+thread#p5733797

Here’s the attachment of the first edition. Just take a look to check how the things have changed since those days, when the 73G was the stellar equipment on Copa Airlines. Some fellows on this board are active since this version edited 14 years ago.
I’ve got some of the questions from the former thread.

1. New routes to SJO ? to GUA? to PTY ?
The development of PTY since 2006 has been extremely impressive due mostly to the expansion of the fleet and network of Copa Airlines. The terminal north as well as the terminal two were developed. I think the third runway would come later.
On the other hand, both GUA and SJO also developed their terminal buildings, but they never reached the dimension of PTY.

2. Will another European carrier come to SJO ?
IB MAD-GUA-SJO-MAD and IB MAD-SJO-PTY-MAD were the sole European routes, in those days. In less than 10 years ago, AF, KL, BA, LH, DE and WK came to SJO.

3. Will COPA fly the 777 ?
Many speculations have occurred in the past about the long-haul equipment on CM. The truth is that CM has never demonstrated interest on that.

4. Will SAP get direct flights to Madrid ?
Prior to the Covid-19 crisis, UX MAD-SAP was flying the route as weekly services with 330.

5. No major airlines fly to La Ceiba.
Only KX LCE-GCM as twice a week before. Roatan instead has soared their international flights, especially to the United States as leisure destination.

6. Any news about the MD-82 start up airline Costa Rican Skies.
It never came into fruition. Same to Aeropostal, Air Costa Rica and Ticos Air.
Volaris Costa Rica has been the only alternative for locals, disregarding AV and CM. However, the network and fleet of Q6 is even quite limited and some routes are offered through SAL.

LightChop2Chop

Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:32 pm

appears that 9Ns B1900 is now operating CUN BZE. I saw the paint job on their IG feed. looks pretty sweet!

SQ22
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:00 pm

Please continue to post your news and your discussion here:

Central American Aviation Thread - 2021

Thread will be locked.