Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LTU932

Re: Central American Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:20 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
LTU932 wrote:
Whatever happened to the possibility of VS starting LHR-PTY?
Or LGW-PTY?
I thought this possible flight would be via LHR for being potentially more of a business destination than SJO, which does have LGW flights.

2travel2know2

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:45 pm

LTU932 wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:
LTU932 wrote:
Or LGW-PTY?
I thought this possible flight would be via LHR for being potentially more of a business destination than SJO, which does have LGW flights.
As I've written earlier on this forum, PTY and CM have been waiting for a LON flight for so long that they will be more than happy if PTY just gets a route from LGW, even if LHR service is what they really want.

LightChop2Chop

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:27 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
LTU932 wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:
Or LGW-PTY?
As I've written earlier on this forum, PTY and CM have been waiting for a LON flight for so long that they will be more than happy if PTY just gets a route from LGW, even if LHR service is what they really want.

It is good to want. Many countries want. The questions are is the route viable and if so will it make more money that other opportunities.
PTY is very well served. There is probably over capacity in the market.

2travel2know2

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:56 pm

LightChop2Chop wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:
LTU932 wrote:

It is good to want. Many countries want. The questions are is the route viable and if so will it make more money that other opportunities.
PTY is very well served. There is probably over capacity in the market.
IMHO, PTY (the hub, not really the city) might still have some demand for LON and BCN flights.
Other European, I'd doubt, even if from an Star Alliance hub (MUC?)

Kilgen

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm

Wingo is opening BLB-LIM. Via Twitter: https://twitter.com/wingo/status/1227997728552161282

Kilgen

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Kilgen wrote:
Wingo is opening BLB-LIM. Via Twitter: https://twitter.com/wingo/status/1227997728552161282

Looks like the tweet has been deleted. Here is another link with the news: https://tnews.com.pe/low-cost-wingo-vol ... -del-2020/

2 fx: Tuesdays and Saturdays, starting April 28.

nickpo

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:37 pm

Guys, I saw Copa just got back from Wingo their old four B737-700, which had a single class configuration of Y142. Now they brought them back to Business and Economy class configuration, but instead of using the usual B737-700 configuration of C12 Y112, they are now C12 and Y114, adding two more seats.

https://www.planespotters.net/fleet/lis ... pe=737-700

Do you guys know if those B737-700 in Copa are getting retrofitted? I thought those were heading out of the fleet, I assume they had to pull them back to regular Copa operations since the MAX is still grounded, but is rare that they brought them with different seat configuration than they had, are they having new seats? In Business and Economy?

2travel2know2

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:00 am

nickpo wrote:
Guys, I saw Copa just got back from Wingo their old four B737-700, which had a single class configuration of Y142. Now they brought them back to Business and Economy class configuration, but instead of using the usual B737-700 configuration of C12 Y112, they are now C12 and Y114, adding two more seats.

https://www.planespotters.net/fleet/lis ... pe=737-700

Do you guys know if those B737-700 in Copa are getting retrofitted? I thought those were heading out of the fleet, I assume they had to pull them back to regular Copa operations since the MAX is still grounded, but is rare that they brought them with different seat configuration than they had, are they having new seats? In Business and Economy?
CM is feeling its B737MAX being grounded.
It makes sense CM will fly its B737-700 (and E190) for a while until the B737 are allowed to be airborne again.
What's strange is that C12Y114 configuration instead of one with C16 seats, those B737-700 might actually have a better range for PTY-SFO/EZE/MVD than its B737-800.

juanchito

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:44 pm

For the first time in Guatemala a Boeing 747-8F from Cargolux

Was able to take this picture.

SJOtoLIR

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:02 am

The coronavirus outbreak in China is directly touching the Central American civil aviation landscape as CA PEK-IAH-PTY is being temporarily suspended.
The website airchina.com states that CA would resume these operations from March 28.

SJOtoLIR

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:19 am

2travel2know2 wrote:
LTU932 wrote:
Or LGW-PTY?

The airlines from UK named BA, BY or VS tend to operate their Caribbean and Central American stations from LGW.
In more detailed words, Havana, Cancun, Punta Cana, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, Montego Bay, Kingston, San Jose and Liberia are being actually served from LGW not LHR.

Regards.

snaiks

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:01 pm

Kilgen wrote:
Kilgen wrote:

Looks like the tweet has been deleted. Here is another link with the news: https://tnews.com.pe/low-cost-wingo-vol ... -del-2020/

yes already able to book. Looks like CM eliminated CM131/CM132 in order to give wingo those slots.(assumption based that its around those time-slots the new wingo flight)
eliminating CM131/CM132 its latest departure is at 1pm.

2travel2know2

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:47 am

snaiks wrote:
Kilgen wrote:
Kilgen wrote:

yes already able to book. Looks like CM eliminated CM131/CM132 in order to give wingo those slots.(assumption based that its around those time-slots the new wingo flight)
eliminating CM131/CM132 its latest departure is at 1pm.
But CM's Wingo only needs "slots" twice per week, it could well stop PTY-LIM-PTY Tuesdays and Saturdays and transfer them to BLB-PTY-BLB.
But doesn't Panama have open skies with Peru?
Would Peru ask CM to open a token route to a Peruvian city (AQP?) so to get more LIM frequencies?
IMHO, PTY-AQP might perform well.

SJOtoLIR

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:56 am

LH FRA-SJO goes from 2x to 3x weekly from October 27th on board Airbus 340-300 aircraft.

LTU932

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:06 pm

https://www.crhoy.com/economia/ticos-po ... -en-ee-uu/

After over five years of negotiation, Costa Rica has finally been admitted into Global Entry, as (to my knowledge) first Central American nation. Costa Ricans who have Global Entry would be considered trusted travellers, same with US citizens (and I presume also legal US residents) coming into Costa Rica that have GE themselves. The admission is still not finalised, as it requires final approval of US authorities. Other benefits for GE holders would also include TSA preclearance and expedited security screening at airports (where TSA preclearance is available).

I didn't know Costa Rica was being considered as a possible member. But just to emphasise: This does NOT mean Costa Rica will also join the VWP, it just means that frequent travellers, if approved, would be considered trusted, but the visa will not be waived (though having or having had Global Entry could help when you re-up your visa). There are countries in the Visa Waiver Program that are not members of Global Entry after all. I know that the UK, Germany, etc. are eligible for Global Entry, but not other EU nations.

I predict, judging by the overall situation in Central America, that Panama could be next with joining Global Entry. As for the CA-4, maybe Guatemala but that's a stretch. Costa Rica and Panama are the most viable nations IMO for Global Entry admission.

Corwim

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:33 pm

LTU932 wrote:
https://www.crhoy.com/economia/ticos-podrian-inscribirse-para-ser-viajeros-de-bajo-riesgo-en-ee-uu/

After over five years of negotiation, Costa Rica has finally been admitted into Global Entry, as (to my knowledge) first Central American nation. Costa Ricans who have Global Entry would be considered trusted travellers, same with US citizens (and I presume also legal US residents) coming into Costa Rica that have GE themselves. The admission is still not finalised, as it requires final approval of US authorities. Other benefits for GE holders would also include TSA preclearance and expedited security screening at airports (where TSA preclearance is available).

I didn't know Costa Rica was being considered as a possible member. But just to emphasise: This does NOT mean Costa Rica will also join the VWP, it just means that frequent travellers, if approved, would be considered trusted, but the visa will not be waived (though having or having had Global Entry could help when you re-up your visa). There are countries in the Visa Waiver Program that are not members of Global Entry after all. I know that the UK, Germany, etc. are eligible for Global Entry, but not other EU nations.

I predict, judging by the overall situation in Central America, that Panama could be next with joining Global Entry. As for the CA-4, maybe Guatemala but that's a stretch. Costa Rica and Panama are the most viable nations IMO for Global Entry admission.

Actually Panama already has Global Entry, they've had it since 2017 I believe.

LTU932

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:07 pm

Corwim wrote:
I didn't know that. Either way, Costa Rica and Panama are the two most, if not the only viable nations in Central America for GE.

Corwim

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:30 pm

LTU932 wrote:
Corwim wrote:
I didn't know that. Either way, Costa Rica and Panama are the two most, if not the only viable nations in Central America for GE.

What helps is that both countries have biometric passports, which is a requirement for a country to participate and is something that the rest of CentAm isn't considering.

LTU932

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 am

Corwim wrote:
What helps is that both countries have biometric passports, which is a requirement for a country to participate and is something that the rest of CentAm isn't considering.
Costa Rica doesn't have biometric passports just yet, but they are slated to be introduced by next year. I presume by then their admission will be finalised. I'm surprised the other Central American nations don't even consider introducing them, considering that the US has put in recent years requirements in place, where they call for biometric passports. Panama has them, Costa Rica will have them, and the nations in the Visa Waiver Program had to switch very early to biometric passports as a requirement to stay in the programme. Germany for example switched to biometric passports in 2005. Only passports issued for children under 12 (?) are not biometric, and while adults can use the VWP, children without a biometric passport need a visa.

As for the CA-4 nations, even with biometric passports, they'd have a hard time. Guatemala, as I said, would be a longshot candidate, Nicaragua won't join unless there's a regime change, and even then they'd need to resolve the same issues Honduras and El Salvador are going through. Both won't get any chance of negotiating until they get their immigration issues in order (specifically the recurrent "caravans" that start in those countries), as well as the crime rate problem (which is one of the reasons for people trying to immigrate to the US from there).

snaiks

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:01 pm

LTU932 wrote:
https://www.crhoy.com/economia/ticos-podrian-inscribirse-para-ser-viajeros-de-bajo-riesgo-en-ee-uu/

Panama has had Global Entry for around 5 yrs. or is Panama not part of Central America? :lol: :lol: :lol:

i've had mine since 2017.
My best advice if you want to get it is that in Panama the appointments were done in Panama, after that you had to travel to get approved.
The process was fairly simple, apply, got a call from local govt., after around 3 weeks I got pre-approved pending the interview which was done in a US airport.

hopefully PTY will get immigration preclearance from panama

LTU932

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:18 pm

snaiks wrote:
Panama has had Global Entry for around 5 yrs. or is Panama not part of Central America? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Note that I said "to my knowledge". :mischievous:

On another note, how are the travel restrictions imposed by Guatemala and El Salvador affect not just airlines, but its own citizens that are stuck in Europe. I bet IB will have to suspend flights to GUA and SAL, while their SJO and PTY nonstops still operate. I can still hear even AF flying over my house in their late departure. My concern is that these restrictions, even including the new restrictions by the US government, will leave citizens of El Salvador and Guatemala, who want to go home from Europe, basically stranded.

snaiks

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:26 am

LTU932 wrote:
snaiks wrote:
Note that I said "to my knowledge". :mischievous:

On another note, how are the travel restrictions imposed by Guatemala and El Salvador affect not just airlines, but its own citizens that are stuck in Europe. I bet IB will have to suspend flights to GUA and SAL, while their SJO and PTY nonstops still operate. I can still hear even AF flying over my house in their late departure. My concern is that these restrictions, even including the new restrictions by the US government, will leave citizens of El Salvador and Guatemala, who want to go home from Europe, basically stranded.

my biggest question is how are they going to protect passengers that came from europe to not be able to connect with countries with travel restrictions, like USA.
As GOSSIP I heard that PTY is going to restrict those flights. I dont know if its true. I know someone that arrived today from Spain via KLM and is in quarentine, don't know if its self quarentined or mandated.

LTU932

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:58 pm

snaiks wrote:
As GOSSIP I heard that PTY is going to restrict those flights. I dont know if its true. I know someone that arrived today from Spain via KLM and is in quarentine, don't know if its self quarentined or mandated.
I follow Panamanian Immigration on Twitter, and I've yet to hear anything about quarantines.

Corwim

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:50 pm

IB just announced in Prensa Libre that they will be cancelling all MAD-GUA-SAL-MAD flights for the remainder of March. https://www.prensalibre.com/economia/coronavirus-iberia-cancela-sus-vuelos-a-guatemala-durante-el-resto-de-marzo/ in Spanish

2travel2know2

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:50 am

In a press conference held by Panama Ministry of Health, Panama Civil Aviation Authority's director said European flights will be temporarily suspended.
However he didn't mention when this suspension will start.

snaiks

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:08 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
In a press conference held by Panama Ministry of Health, Panama Civil Aviation Authority's director said European flights will be temporarily suspended.

Midnight Saturday.
So the planes that are in the air are the last ones to arrive for 30 days.
hopefully the outbreak will stop sooner.

2travel2know2

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:37 pm

snaiks wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:

Midnight Saturday.
So the planes that are in the air are the last ones to arrive for 30 days.
hopefully the outbreak will stop sooner.
News media websites don't mention TK, only IB, UX, AF, KL and LH.
https://www.tvn-2.com/nacionales/Panama-suspendera-vuelos-dias-Europa_0_5532946683.html
From http://www.tvn-2.com (in Spanish).

LTU932

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:22 am

2travel2know2 wrote:
News media websites don't mention TK
Which is curious, considering that IST and ISL are on the European side of Istanbul. SAW is on the Asian side.

SJOtoLIR

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:13 am

Local health authorities from Costa Rica are highly requesting to locals to quit their intended traveling plans by means of the usage of their international airports.
More infections due to coronavirus were registered in Costa Rica on March 15th. They were introduced by locals returning home through SJO.

2travel2know2

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:28 am

Panama's president has stated on his twitter account that form 2359h Monday March 16, only Panamanian nationals and legal residents will be allowed into the country. Any national or legal resident will have to remain 14 days in quarantine at home.
https://twitter.com/NitoCortizo/status/1239337769429803013?s=20 From Twitter (in Spanish).

avi8

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:59 am

https://news.delta.com/delta-suspends-s ... strictions

Delta suspends service to GUA until April 19th.

LTU932

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:37 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
Panama's president has stated on his twitter account that form 2359h Monday March 16, only Panamanian nationals and legal residents will be allowed into the country. Any national or legal resident will have to remain 14 days in quarantine at home.
Which most likely means that the busiest route in Central America will inevitably be suspended. And as yet, as far as SJO is concerned, still no word on whether flights to Europe will be suspended.

2travel2know2

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:52 pm

LTU932 wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:
Which most likely means that the busiest route in Central America will inevitably be suspended. And as yet, as far as SJO is concerned, still no word on whether flights to Europe will be suspended.
So far, nothing has been said about suspending the Hub of the Americas operations. Some destinations are suspended (MAR, CCS, VLN, GYE, UIO, PBM perhaps others will follow) but connecting traffic is not affected by Panamanian restrictions.
IMHO, service might continue to major CM destinations not suspended, but perhaps down to only daily frequency.

LTU932

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:14 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
So far, nothing has been said about suspending the Hub of the Americas operations. Some destinations are suspended (MAR, CCS, VLN, GYE, UIO, PBM perhaps others will follow) but connecting traffic is not affected by Panamanian restrictions.
IMHO, service might continue to major CM destinations not suspended, but perhaps down to only daily frequency.
Honestly, knowing how connections at PTY work, I still thought they could see themselves affected, considering the circumstances. But even without restrictions, PTY will likely have to ramp down operations, even if connections are not affected.

LTU932

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:08 pm

https://www.crhoy.com/nacionales/covid- ... bBHpj-1SGk

Costa Rica has declared national emergency because of COVID-19. It will close its borders for a month during the time between March 18, 23:59 hrs CST and April 12, 23:59 hrs CST. During that time, only citizens and legal residents are permitted to enter the country, and they have to be subject to a 14 day mandatory quarantine after arrival.

LTU932

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Here's the official press release: https://www.presidencia.go.cr/comunicad ... -del-pais/

As far as the flights are concerned, exempt from the quarantine are flight crew and commercial crew, as well as cargo flights for supplies. Which makes me wonder how they'll handle it with flight crews flying on longhauls, overnights, and any flight so long, that even a normal layover can cause them to time out.

SJOtoLIR

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:58 am

2travel2know2 wrote:
Panama's president has stated on his twitter account that form 2359h Monday March 16

My main concern is for all the Costa Ricans that are currently utilizing Panama City as the primary hub for most destinations from abroad.
As far as I know, SJO still remains as the stellar Copa Airlines destination, meaning many stranded passenger from Costa Rica trying to return home through PTY.

Regards.

SJOtoLIR

Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:06 am

LTU932 wrote:
Costa Rica has declared national emergency because of COVID-19. It will close its borders for a month during the time between March 18, 23:59 hrs CST and April 12, 23:59 hrs CST.

Unlike Guatemala, where IB MAD-GUA-SAL-MAD has been cancelled until further notice, both SJO and LIR haven't suspended any scheduled flight yet.

Regards.

SJOtoLIR

Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:15 am

Spirit has applied with authorities for the New Orleans - San Pedro Sula sector as thrice a week.
This fact will put SAP as the regional destination supplying more services in Central America on NK: Ft. Lauderdale, Houston, Orlando and New Orleans from June 11th.

juanchito

Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Guatemala president has decided to closed all inbound and outbound international flights, just local flights will be operating and cargo local and international flights.
I think Honduras did the same.

Regards.

LTU932

Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:41 pm

SJOtoLIR wrote:
LTU932 wrote:
Costa Rica has declared national emergency because of COVID-19. It will close its borders for a month during the time between March 18, 23:59 hrs CST and April 12, 23:59 hrs CST.

Unlike Guatemala, where IB MAD-GUA-SAL-MAD has been cancelled until further notice, both SJO and LIR haven't suspended any scheduled flight yet.

Regards.
Only a matter of time. I mean, it would be pointless to keep operating those flights unless they have returning citizen, or fly empty with just cargo.

many321

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:20 pm

SAL is shutting down for 15 days. Will only accept cargo and depending the state of the pandemic, they'll decide when to reopen.

https://twitter.com/nayibbukele/status/ ... 22529?s=19

2travel2know2

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:46 am

CM informs NYSE:
CM will reduce operations by 80% April.
Part of the fleet will be grounded.
Airline studies to temporarily suspend operations.
https://www.prensa.com/economia/copa-holdings-reducira-sus-operaciones-en-un-80/ From http://www.prensa.com (in Spanish).

LTU932

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:03 pm

https://www.teletica.com/251841_coronav ... QT3mWGWU6o

AV is suspending all flights to and from Costa Rica effective tomorrow and until the current date for reopening the border on April 12 (subject to an extension depending on government action). CM should be following suit. No word on AF, BA, LH, IB but they should also be suspending flights unless they decide to fly empty with just belly cargo.

SJOtoLIR

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:10 am

Status of the main Central American airports:

Belize. BZE remains opened.

Guatemala: GUA banned all non-resident arrivals and suspended all flights from March 16th to 30th, except for cargo.

El Salvador: SAL shut down operations on March 16th to all commercial flights. On March 11th, it had banned entry to all foreigners, excluding accredited diplomats and legal residents of the country. Those allowed to enter were subject to a possible 30-day quarantine.

Honduras: TGU, SAP, LCE and RTB are totally closed, except for cargo.

Nicaragua: Unknown.

Panama: Only Panamanians and foreign residents would be allowed to enter the country through PTY as of March 16th. A 14-day quarantine is compulsory for those travelers arriving from that date onward.

Costa Rica: Both SJO and LIR are closed to foreigners. Period: March 18th till April 12th.

Edited on March 18th, 2020.

Kilgen

Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:41 pm

Effective March 22, all international flights are banned in Panama for 30 days. https://twitter.com/NitoCortizo/status/ ... 9440082944

Nito Cortizo @NitoCortizo
A partir del domingo 22 de marzo a las 11:59 p.m. quedarán suspendidas las llegadas y salidas de todos los vuelos internacionales a nuestro país, por un periodo de 30 días #ProtégetePanamá #UnidosLoHacemos

copa330200

Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:54 pm

Kilgen wrote:
Effective March 22, all international flights are banned in Panama for 30 days. https://twitter.com/NitoCortizo/status/ ... 9440082944

A partir del domingo 22 de marzo a las 11:59 p.m. quedarán suspendidas las llegadas y salidas de todos los vuelos internacionales a nuestro país, por un periodo de 30 días #ProtégetePanamá #UnidosLoHacemos

it seems as CM was expecting this:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/panamas- ... 34560.html

Panama's Copa Airlines says it could temporarily shut all operations
March 18 (Reuters) - Panama's Copa Airlines says it is possible it will have a "complete, temporary shutdown of its operations," the carrier said late on Tuesday in an update on the impact of the global coronavirus outbreak on its operations.

While the airline has not made a decision, it said in April it will reduce 80% of its flights and ground most of its fleet, making it the most affected carrier in Latin America. Competitor LATAM Airlines said it will cut 70% of its flights.

Many countries in Latin America have shut down or restricted flights due to the coronavirus outbreak, which has heavily affected Copa's operations.

Copa uses Panama City as a hub for connecting North American and South American travelers through short layovers at Tocumen Airport. (Reporting by Marcelo Rochabrun;

2travel2know2

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:50 am

Kilgen wrote:

Looks like CM will only be left to fly PTY-DAV (its very first route) and any humanitarian chartered flights for a month.

2travel2know2

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:34 pm

CM press release
Operations suspended for a month.
No mention if any domestic PTY-DAV flights will operate that month.

SJOtoLIR

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:14 am

Avianca also suspends all their international operations from March 23 till April 30.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos