Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA302

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:20 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Air Canada goes from 3xCRJ200 to 2xCRJ900 on May 1st. Nice to see the upgraded planes!

* EDITED - MY MATH STINKS :-)

So we go from 150Y to 128Y, but add 24C. Net loss of 22 seats.

Jshank83

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:35 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Air Canada goes from 3xCRJ200 to 2xCRJ900 on May 1st. Nice to see the upgraded planes!

So 2 extra, right?

STLflyer

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:36 pm

Dammit, of course it's after I have to fly the devil's chariot to YYZ on a CRJ2 in April.

TWA302

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:15 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

So 2 extra, right?

No we go from 3x or 150 total seats to 2x with 128 seats (12C 64Y) so we loose 22 total seats with one less frequency, but I am sure those 12C seats will be eaten up with status people.

Jshank83

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:41 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

So 2 extra, right?

No we go from 3x or 150 total seats to 2x with 128 seats (12C 64Y) so we loose 22 total seats with one less frequency, but I am sure those 12C seats will be eaten up with status people.

12+64=76 per flight

76x2=152 correct?

So 152-150= gain 2

STLflyer wrote:
Dammit, of course it's after I have to fly the devil's chariot to YYZ on a CRJ2 in April.

One last ride for old times sake!

TWA302

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:53 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

So 2 extra, right?

12+64=76 per flight

76x2=152 correct?

So 152-150= gain 2

STLflyer wrote:

One last ride for old times sake!

Total seats you are correct :banghead:

pmanni1

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:56 pm

Slowly but surely UA is adding more mainline this summer. A319 to ORD and 738 to IAH.

Jshank83

Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:23 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
Slowly but surely UA is adding more mainline this summer. A319 to ORD and 738 to IAH.

Think they puts us around 7 then. Has to be the most we have had in awhile. Last I looked SFO was 2x and EWR was 3x unless that’s changed. Still a little surprised Denver doesn’t have any.

Edit: well it looks like those changed. Both are only one now. But Denver does have one also. So 5 total.

pmanni1

Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:41 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

Think they puts us around 7 then. Has to be the most we have had in awhile. Last I looked SFO was 2x and EWR was 3x unless that’s changed. Still a little surprised Denver doesn’t have any.

Edit: well it looks like those changed. Both are only one now. But Denver does have one also. So 5 total.

It will be different in a week or two. I'm amazed at the amount of time airlines spend microanalyzing their routes.

OzarkD9S

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:37 pm

I ran across this article a few days ago and posted a thread on it but it was moved to Polls and Preferences within minutes:

https://www.wanderu.com/blog/ranking-th ... n-the-u-s/

STL was ranked #45 out of 50 of the 50 busiest airports in the US for food options. Personally I think Concourse C sucks, really. A isn't too bad and T2 is OK, but lines are L-O-N-G at certain times of the day due to the WN traffic.

Now the rankings are highly subjective, mostly ranked on Yelp! reviews, both quantity and quality but I really don't think STL is THAT bad overall.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

stlgph

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:53 pm

Call me boring and basic but as long as I can get to a Dunkin Donuts - I'm good to go. And for the love of god - an actual service one, not an express location.

An Auntie Anne's is just a bonus in my book - I dont know what it is but there's something about a pretzel dog that just hits the spot right after takeoff.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

maps4ltd

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:29 pm

As long as the Ted Drewes machines remain I'm good.
Delta Gold Medallion

Jshank83

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:47 pm

I think our food options are subpar, but getting better. Not 45 out of 50 bad though. We need more fast and fast casual spots in T2, especially since some WN flyers have short turn arounds. I’d love Burger King replaced with a different one and another fast food or two added (not sure where they would fit though). The BBQ and Biscuit place was a good add but it’s menu is too limited. I’d probably get rid of the Budweiser bar and put in 2 smaller spots there. Wendy’s and Panera or something.

TVNWZ

Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:28 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
I ran across this article a few days ago and posted a thread on it but it was moved to Polls and Preferences within minutes:

STL was ranked #45 out of 50 of the 50 busiest airports in the US for food options. Personally I think Concourse C sucks, really. A isn't too bad and T2 is OK, but lines are L-O-N-G at certain times of the day due to the WN traffic.

Now the rankings are highly subjective, mostly ranked on Yelp! reviews, both quantity and quality but I really don't think STL is THAT bad overall.

I think that is a generous ranking.

stl07

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:54 am

TVNWZ wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

Agreed. STLers have an overinflated opinion of our airport dining. It is only a half-step up from LGA. Maybe terminal 2 is a whole step up.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Jshank83

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:10 am

stl07 wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

Agreed. STLers have an overinflated opinion of our airport dining. It is only a half-step up from LGA. Maybe terminal 2 is a whole step up.

I feel like most people in STL hate our airport and try to always compare it to the TWA days. But maybe that’s just me.

I’d put our food above MDW,OAK,SFO. But I usually rate airports low that go heavy on non chains. I personally think airports should mostly have eateries people know with some local sprinkled in. The last thing I want is to have a short layover and have no clue what any of the restaurants are. I like DAL/SLC. LAS/PHX isn’t bad either. DEN I always think should have better options.

dcaproducer

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:17 am

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

I feel like most people in STL hate our airport and try to always compare it to the TWA days. But maybe that’s just me.

I’d put our food above MDW,OAK,SFO. But I usually rate airports low that go heavy on non chains. I personally think airports should mostly have eateries people know with some local sprinkled in. The last thing I want is to have a short layover and have no clue what any of the restaurants are. I like DAL/SLC. LAS/PHX isn’t bad either. DEN I always think should have better options.

So I can only speak for A since I fly DL, but I’m in about 20 different airports each year (big, medium and small). The food in A is comparable to most of the airports I’m in. I’d say one of the biggest issues in A is limited space and I’d say the same is true in T2.

zululima

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:32 am

It would only take a Lion's Choice or Cecil Whittaker's/Imo's to vault STL to number 1. If they had all three, I would never leave.
I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!

stl07

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:33 am

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

Maybe I just travel to airports with good food that is better than the norm haha. I travel mostly to PHX, MIA, ORD, IND, JFK, Abu Dhabi, BOM, and LGA. Of which all have great options apart from LGA.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

dcaproducer

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:52 pm

stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Maybe I just travel to airports with good food that is better than the norm haha. I travel mostly to PHX, MIA, ORD, IND, JFK, Abu Dhabi, BOM, and LGA. Of which all have great options apart from LGA.

Comparing large international gateways ins't a good comparison. I can mainly speak for terminals that DL operates out of. FLL is terrible.
LAX T3 is terrible (but getting rebuilt). Fortunately, with all of these, DL has a SkyClub, which DL has made substantially better food-wise over the past couple of years. STL doesn't have that. SMF is ok, but no better than STL. GEG, same thing. BWI is comparable to STL (I've never been over to the WN side).

TVNWZ

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:14 pm

I look at the total picture, options pre-security and options post-security. STL comes up short in both categories, but particularly pre-security. I've been in airports everywhere. STL could do so much better, but the natives think it is "good enough" apparently. At least it is not MCI. But that will change with the new terminal.

N383SW

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:51 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Comparing large international gateways ins't a good comparison. I can mainly speak for terminals that DL operates out of. FLL is terrible.
LAX T3 is terrible (but getting rebuilt). Fortunately, with all of these, DL has a SkyClub, which DL has made substantially better food-wise over the past couple of years. STL doesn't have that. SMF is ok, but no better than STL. GEG, same thing. BWI is comparable to STL (I've never been over to the WN side).

The WN area in BWI is amazing IMO, chipotle, Arby’s, Mc Donald’s, Potbelly, chick Fil A, a really good Diner, full service Dunkin!

PhilMcCrackin

Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:23 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
I look at the total picture, options pre-security and options post-security. STL comes up short in both categories, but particularly pre-security. I've been in airports everywhere. STL could do so much better, but the natives think it is "good enough" apparently. At least it is not MCI. But that will change with the new terminal.

Yeah, I'm not going to toe the city line. STL's food offerings are lackluster conceptually and poorly operated by HMS Host. Check out an airport like SEA or PHX to see this done right.

dcaproducer

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:34 am

N383SW wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
stl07 wrote:

The WN area in BWI is amazing IMO, chipotle, Arby’s, Mc Donald’s, Potbelly, chick Fil A, a really good Diner, full service Dunkin!

Yeah, the rest of BWI isn’t as great.
C at STL has the potential, but they’d need to fill the gates first.

TWA302

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:04 am

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

Yeah, I'm not going to toe the city line. STL's food offerings are lackluster conceptually and poorly operated by HMS Host. Check out an airport like SEA or PHX to see this done right.

Here’s my take. The food selections are better than they used to be but overall service is lack luster. I will give T2 my $.02 since it is 98% of my travel. For the cost in comparison to a meal with drink, if I have time I go to Wing Tips as often as possible. Great price and a comfortable atmosphere. Literally the same cost or less with better customer service.

symphonicpoet

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:39 am

Jshank83 wrote:
STLflyer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
A DL 777 from Shanghai to ATL just diverted and landed at STL. Sounds like it is medical.

Hope the passenger is okay, but damn, I work right under the approach for the 30s and just missed it by a half hour, it would've been right over my head if I was walking to my car at that time.

My BIL has family in Shanghai, and Delta's his airline of choice for getting there and he's been on STL-ATL-PVG and the reverse many times. He wasn't on this one, but if he was, I guess he'd still have to continue on to ATL and go back to STL.

I don’t really get why they won’t let you off a plane if your plane diverts to an airport you would rather get off. If they are bringing in the stairs or jetbridge anyway then let people off that want to get off. Just make them sign something if you need it for liability. If you need to do customs that might be a different story if no one is there to perform it. If it’s a gas an go with no stairs or anything then I would also get not letting people get off but if they are there anyway, the door is open, and you only have carry ons, why not?

Holy Hell! This thing came into St. Louis sometime on the 16th, right? I was supposed to fly STL-ATL-PVG-SGN that day but we ended up rebooked STL-DTW-PVG-SGN. (And I lost my window seat in the process, dadgumit!) I wonder if that's what done did it. I'll second the hopes that the passenger is okay. I think that was my plane! . . . Or would have been, had it not been diverted to my origin.

Head's up: There will be video. As soon as I can get home and edit it, anyway. (Though obviously only for the parts where I still have/had a window seat.)
TW AA MU JL KE DL UA LOF GJS SKW WN VN
STL JFK FRA GVA CDG IAD ORD PVG SGN NRT ICN ATL SFO HKG MDW LGA BNA DTW LHR
L1011 MD82 83 88 B737 738 741 744 762 763 772 773 777 A320 330 350 E175 C700

PhilMcCrackin

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:53 pm

TWA302 wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

Here’s my take. The food selections are better than they used to be but overall service is lack luster. I will give T2 my $.02 since it is 98% of my travel. For the cost in comparison to a meal with drink, if I have time I go to Wing Tips as often as possible. Great price and a comfortable atmosphere. Literally the same cost or less with better customer service.

I can't speak much for T2, but the service in T1 baffles me. It seems they're perpetually understaffed. The bar tenders run around like mad people trying to keep up and tables will sit there for long periods of time unbussed.

atrude777

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:11 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cape-air- ... r-flights/

Unfortunately Cape Air has to push back the launch of their new Tecnam Planes. The planes will now launch in March instead of January.

STL was one of those "Hubs" that was supposed to be getting them with service to UIN, MWA and OWB.

This will not delay the launch of the new Cape Air service in itself, cities like MWA-BNA were going to be launched with Tecnam. Instead they will use the C402, until Tecnam can take over.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Jshank83

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:21 pm

Final 2019 numbers out.

December was up 3.7%
End of year total up 1.6%

Total passengers 15,878,527

Have to think we would have gotten over 16 mil pretty easily if the MAX wasn't grounded.

Market share:

Southwest 60.2%
American 15.6%
Delta 10.7%
United 6.6%

Info graphic:
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... istics.pdf

stl07

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:39 pm

There is an article in the bizjournal about a TATL. If someone who subscribes could read that and give a summery, that would be great

pmanni1

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:58 pm

Article says STL & CVG are next to land BA to London. https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local ... df0f748149

pmanni1

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:00 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
Article says STL & CVG are next to land BA to London. https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local ... df0f748149

let me add "most likely"

Midwestindy

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:59 pm

stl07 wrote:
There is an article in the bizjournal about a TATL. If someone who subscribes could read that and give a summery, that would be great

Here are some key pieces:

Hamm-Niebruegge told the leaders that Brian Kinsey, Lambert's assistant director of air service and business development, would head to Europe in January "and we need to be prepared with an offer."

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport "will have a big one on the table we believe," Hamm-Niebruegge wrote.

A spokeswoman for that airport, known as CVG, said in an emailed statement, “London is CVG Airport’s largest unserved Trans-Atlantic market and we discuss this route and others with carriers on a regular basis.”

It's not clear whether Kinsey's meeting has taken place; a Lambert spokesman said it "cannot discuss details of any meeting referenced in the email."

Santel said in a statement that "we remain committed to discussions with all parties to ensure that St. Louis Lambert International Airport is a strong asset for our region's future." Johnson said, "If you look at the markets that have succeeded (in landing nonstop European service), they've founded a way to subside the route for the first couple years while building a base, then it takes off on its own."

Hamm-Niebruegge said in an interview that the competition would play out this year, and that she's previously been disappointed by the lack of incentives available beyond the airport itself; the St. Louis County Port Authority in July cut a program that would have given up to $5 million to an airline willing to start a nonstop flight to Europe. Currently, through a Federal Aviation Administration-approved program, Lambert can pay landing fees for 18 months for a carrier that starts "across the pond" service, likely totaling $800,000 to $1.5 million, Hamm-Niebruegge said.

"I believe strongly that we can be successful," she said. "I think that's a decision that's up to the community, how important they feel it is."

The rest seems like speculation based on the anna aero article

Glad some progress is being made
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Jshank83

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:56 pm

The STL/CVG talk is all based on the article that was posted about a month ago. Which a week later BA announced PDX so put little stock in that article. It was all speculation without much substance.

PhilMcCrackin

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:30 pm

STL has been the "next city to get BA" for several years now.

dcaproducer

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Final 2019 numbers out.

December was up 3.7%
End of year total up 1.6%

Total passengers 15,878,527

Have to think we would have gotten over 16 mil pretty easily if the MAX wasn't grounded.

Market share:

Southwest 60.2%
American 15.6%
Delta 10.7%
United 6.6%

Info graphic:
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... istics.pdf

Even with another year of 1.6% growth, STL will easily surpass 16Million. If you add the 2019 total at BLV to STL, you'd pass 16Million.
Anyways, good to see the airport still grew, even with the MAX crisis. I'd say that cut growth by 1.5-3%

TWA302

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:10 pm

I know that AC is moving to the CRJ9 from the CRJ2 in May and reducing frequency from 4 to 3, but I am seeing this in the weekly OAG thread. Does anyone have a thought? Going down to 2? Is that normal for a season shift on this route?

AC STL-YYZ SEP 4>2[4] OCT 4>2[4]

pmanni1

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:17 pm

TWA302 wrote:
I know that AC is moving to the CRJ9 from the CRJ2 in May and reducing frequency from 4 to 3, but I am seeing this in the weekly OAG thread. Does anyone have a thought? Going down to 2? Is that normal for a season shift on this route?

I believe this is the first time CR9's have ever been used on this route. Now allows for 1st class seating.

Jshank83

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:28 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

I believe this is the first time CR9's have ever been used on this route. Now allows for 1st class seating.

They have been 3x daily for a majority of the last couple years. They were only 4x for a couple months last fall. Were scheduled to go back to 4x for summer but instead with the upguage they are going to 2. So it really is going from 3 to 2 (compared to last year) since the 4x was so short. Maybe they will add a 3rd back at some point if it does well.

stl07

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:51 pm

What in the world? G4 is building a go-cart track out in chesterfield.

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... re-in.html

OzarkD9S

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:00 pm

stl07 wrote:

They're building a hotel near PGD, with this attraction does that make St. Louis a "destination city" for G4?

;)
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

Jshank83

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:55 pm

stl07 wrote:

Is this where we start a rumor they are moving to Spirit? Lol

stl07

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:20 am

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Is this where we start a rumor they are moving to Spirit? Lol

Spirit of STL airport, the only airport in the world where you can race go-karts or fly to Sanford Florida without changing companies.

stlgph

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:58 am

Diversification of the portfolio. There are another 3 or 4 out there.

stl07

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:34 pm

stlgph wrote:
Diversification of the portfolio. There are another 3 or 4 out there.

Pretty smart IMO, esp. if oil ever goes up.

Jshank83

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:07 pm

Contour adding IND from STL.

Starts June 10th.
$99 each way
2x weekly 1x weekend

TWA302

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:37 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Starts June 10th.
$99 each way
2x weekly 1x weekend

wow 2x M-F 1x Sa, Su

Great addition.

stl07

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:04 pm

^^Fantasic News. However, will we see some more routes like MEM, or will just be a spoke of an IND hub. Remains to be seen

atrude777

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:56 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Starts June 10th.
$99 each way
2x weekly 1x weekend

What in the...

Why? Hahaha, IND-STL locally is not a huge traffic, and an easy drive on 70.

I looked it up, this is more IND focused...

IND-BNA/STL/PIT are being added. Contour will make a Base out of IND.

Guess it's cool to add another new city to STL, albeit a return as WN last flew this with AA after 9/11.

Good Luck!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

stlgph

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:13 pm

Lest you forget Northwest Airlink ran the route very briefly during the IND focus city days. Load factor was on average......2.