User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 1729
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:55 pm

Welcome to the Virginia Aviation Thread 2020. This thread is covering the following airports: RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO, LYH, etc (all of VA outside of IAD/DCA). Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here.

Link to previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1428101
 
NorfolkSpotter
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:11 am

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:49 pm

Here’s my predictions for ORF in 2020
(Please note that every single thing on here won’t happen but a few of them could)

Allegiant

I can see Allegiant adding ORF-MSY using a 319 and running it only once a week seasonally. I can also see them increasing frequency and or A/C capacity on their ORF-JAX

American

I can see AA bring back ORF-MIA mainline flights this summer. ORF-CLT will most likely see larger Aircraft such as some 737s and A320s and A321s. They are already sending a 312 to ORF in the mornings and evenings we’ll into the end of January. I don’t think we’ll get more mainline flights (given we have a PSA base in ORF) but I can see the A/C size increase.

Delta

I can see Delta adding a daily flight to SLC using one of their A220s for west coast traffic. I can also see them lowering their prices on ORF-ATL due to WN starting ATL flights.

Frontier

Frontier maybe bring their seasonal TPA flights back, along with bringing their A321 to serve DEN for a few days each week in the summer.

Southwest

Southwest has recently been expanding a lot into ORF. I can see them possibly making DEN year round, although tut might not be profitable due to Frontier and United already serving this route. I can also see them possibly adding either ORF-HOU or ORF-STL. Although I kinda doubt this will happen because of the issues with the MAX. They recently made ORF-BNA daily in the summer, as well as adding daily ORF-ATL flights, although only seasonally.

United

This will most likely be the year UA adds ORF-SFO. I can see this being daily or a few days a week with an A319. However, if they don’t add this, I can see capacity being added to DEN, as well as possibly making either IAD, EWR, ORD or IAH mainline year-round.

I can also see us getting some new airlines.
Alaska will mostly start serving ORF from SEA either daily or 3x weekly, using an A319. I can see a possibly if Spirit getting into ORF, adding some seasonal routes to Florida. JetBlue could possibly add a daily ORF-BOS route, using an E190.


International

Lol not happening

These are just my predictions, and I’m pretty stupid.
I doubt a lot of these would happen, although a few of them could. Also I can see PHF just dying this year.
 
User avatar
ElroyJetson
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:49 pm

Whenever the terminal situation is sorted out in SLC i could see DL adding some East coast flights with A220's. I think ORF and RIC should certainly be considered based on UA's success with DEN flights from both cities.

We'll see.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100
 
bigb
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:59 pm

NorfolkSpotter wrote:
Here’s my predictions for ORF in 2020
(Please note that every single thing on here won’t happen but a few of them could)

Allegiant

I can see Allegiant adding ORF-MSY using a 319 and running it only once a week seasonally. I can also see them increasing frequency and or A/C capacity on their ORF-JAX

American

I can see AA bring back ORF-MIA mainline flights this summer. ORF-CLT will most likely see larger Aircraft such as some 737s and A320s and A321s. They are already sending a 312 to ORF in the mornings and evenings we’ll into the end of January. I don’t think we’ll get more mainline flights (given we have a PSA base in ORF) but I can see the A/C size increase.

Delta

I can see Delta adding a daily flight to SLC using one of their A220s for west coast traffic. I can also see them lowering their prices on ORF-ATL due to WN starting ATL flights.

Frontier

Frontier maybe bring their seasonal TPA flights back, along with bringing their A321 to serve DEN for a few days each week in the summer.

Southwest

Southwest has recently been expanding a lot into ORF. I can see them possibly making DEN year round, although tut might not be profitable due to Frontier and United already serving this route. I can also see them possibly adding either ORF-HOU or ORF-STL. Although I kinda doubt this will happen because of the issues with the MAX. They recently made ORF-BNA daily in the summer, as well as adding daily ORF-ATL flights, although only seasonally.

United

This will most likely be the year UA adds ORF-SFO. I can see this being daily or a few days a week with an A319. However, if they don’t add this, I can see capacity being added to DEN, as well as possibly making either IAD, EWR, ORD or IAH mainline year-round.

I can also see us getting some new airlines.
Alaska will mostly start serving ORF from SEA either daily or 3x weekly, using an A319. I can see a possibly if Spirit getting into ORF, adding some seasonal routes to Florida. JetBlue could possibly add a daily ORF-BOS route, using an E190.


International

Lol not happening

These are just my predictions, and I’m pretty stupid.
I doubt a lot of these would happen, although a few of them could. Also I can see PHF just dying this year.


I definitely don’t see AA sticking with 321s on ORF-CLT. AA only runs them during the holiday season with the higher military demand. I wish we would sub the ORF-DCA runs with the CRJ-700 permanently. But that won’t happen until we get rid of the 200 in 2021.

I just don’t see Delta or United adding either SLC or SFO. I believe Denver will be the furthest west that we will see.

If ORF was to see an new airline, my money will be on Spirit and that’s it. I don’t believe B6 or AS has any interest of serving the Hampton Roads market.

As for PHF, that airport won’t die as long as the tunnels are they way they are despite their political issues.
 
Gulfstream500
Posts: 432
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:54 am

Here are my predictions:

CHO: I think they have a shot at getting flights to EWR or JFK on United or Delta, though I do not think that it is very likely, given the congestion of the New York market.

RIC: WN may make TPA daily, Spirit may add another Florida market, and allegiant will most likely add another destination. If B6 does in fact begin to receive their A220s in 2020, then we could see some A220s on the schedule by the end of the year via Boston.

ORF: Allegiant will probably add something. Atlanta becomes year-round on WN, and WN adds another destination.
 
MaxTrimm
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:43 pm

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:13 am

As for ORF, I can see Sun Country adding an MSP flight. Still surprises me MSP remains seasonal to Norfolk; however I could be overestimating the demand from the west coast to the Hampton Roads region.

I agree with above, SLC would make sense but I just don't see it happening. The A220's have been put on business-heavy routes between major cities, and Delta has not stretched their legs much. ORF-SLC westbound would be closer to five hours, and DL has not shown a place like ORF as an A220 destination yet.

PHF will not die anytime soon. Hopefully ORF gets a good share of expansion as more people move to the area and the downtown area continues to appeal more to tourists.
 
bigb
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:00 am

MaxTrimm wrote:
As for ORF, I can see Sun Country adding an MSP flight. Still surprises me MSP remains seasonal to Norfolk; however I could be overestimating the demand from the west coast to the Hampton Roads region.

I agree with above, SLC would make sense but I just don't see it happening. The A220's have been put on business-heavy routes between major cities, and Delta has not stretched their legs much. ORF-SLC westbound would be closer to five hours, and DL has not shown a place like ORF as an A220 destination yet.

PHF will not die anytime soon. Hopefully ORF gets a good share of expansion as more people move to the area and the downtown area continues to appeal more to tourists.


I think a lot of folks are over estimating west coast demand to the Hampton roads region with the exception of SAN because of the Navy connection.

No way we will se Sun n Country on MSP-ORF. Way too small of a market for Sun n Country.
 
flybaby
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:20 am

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:14 pm

NorfolkSpotter wrote:
Here’s my predictions for ORF in 2020
(Please note that every single thing on here won’t happen but a few of them could)

Allegiant

I can see Allegiant adding ORF-MSY using a 319 and running it only once a week seasonally. I can also see them increasing frequency and or A/C capacity on their ORF-JAX
...


It would be highly unusual for G4 to offer a once a week frequency. That’s a WN thing. G4 almost always does 2x/weekly or greater.

I am not sure JAX frequency gets increased. They already decreased summer 2020 frequency to 2x from 3x in summer 2019 (presumably based on summer 2019 performance). The JAX flight times through summer 2020 BTW are awful. Flight departs ORF at 9am on Sunday. They’re supposed to be a weekend getaway type airline but there ain’t much left of the weekend if you have to fly out at 9am on a Sunday.

As for G4 predictions... if any of the Ohio flights do well, they might turn them into year-round destinations. Note that Punta Gorda is set to end in April. Hopefully it comes back in the fall since as of the current winter schedule G4 serves all the five maga metro areas in FL (S.Fla, SW Fla, Orlando, Tampa Bay and Jax) from ORF.
 
User avatar
vatveng
Posts: 1248
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:49 pm

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:52 pm

Southwest isn't so much expanding as restoring what they cut in the wake of the AirTran merger. Post-merger Southwest was smaller at ORF than pre-merger Southwest without even adding in AirTran at PHF and later when they moved to ORF during the merger. For example, ORF-BNA was a daily year-round flight for years until the merger, then it was one of the first cuts. After AirTran shut down at PHF, Southwest added a token daily ATL flight that lasted just a few months before quietly going away. Then a few months later AirTran returned to Hampton Roads in the form of 3-4 daily ORF-ATL flights that lasted nearly until the last day of AirTran ops. After that, Southwest was just BWI, MDW, and MCO daily year-round, with seasonal and/or less-than-daily to LAS and a few other places. I think TPA came and went a few times in response to Allegiant at PIE. DEN is a recent development and is more about the UA/F9/WN pissing match in Denver than it is about Norfolk.

JetBlue wants nothing to do with Hampton Roads. They have made this abundantly clear numerous times. And Alaska? Show me anyone in Seattle who can even point to Norfolk on a map. We're as likely to get Icelandair as we are to get Alaska.

GA and Military traffic keeps PHF alive. It's a very active GA field and the Air Force uses it for practice due to its long runways and its distance from the congested skies of the Southside. On the commercial side they're hurting. Hopefully the management shakeup has done some good and they will find themselves with better leadership and better able to get some realistic promises of new commercial service instead of constantly wooing Elite and creating pipe dreams like PeoplExpress. If they had managed to get WN to move across the water during the merger, they'd undoubtedly be in much better shape and may still have both G4 and F9.

My other predictions:

DL: I wouldn't rule out SLC, but they won't do it with the A221. If they had the 223 it might be a winner. But the distance is too far for something that small to be competitive unless they can gain pricing power on routes to smaller western cities that you can only get to from SLC and not from ATL or DTW (without a double-connect) and sell enough of them. Which is a distinct possibility, I believe the demand is potentially there for 2-3x weekly and/or seasonal. But with all the uncertainty surrounding the periodic threat of government shutdowns I don't think the potential demand is stable enough for Delta's liking. And without the ORF-BZN traffic it's just an alternative to ATL to get to the big west-coast cities. Of their current fleet, the 738 or A320 would be required to make enough off discount fares on ORF-SLC-LAX to make it worth them bypassing ATL.

AA: They will continue to flex their CLT muscle. They'll put a lot more focus on CLT and less on PHL because that's where the demand seems to be. They have a big enough PHL hub that they can serve all the ORF-New England traffic with a couple of dailies. More of the traffic is going south and west, and CLT is better positioned for that to compete with DL. I also think they will push more Virginia pax (ORF/PHF/RIC/ROA) through CLT than DFW or ORD because Eagle can easily funnel all that traffic one state south. With their PSA base here, I can easily see them trimming DFW traffic in favor of CLT. They'll still push west coast pax through ORD or DFW but more of the ORF-MCI types of routes will shift to CLT.

G4: I'll admit I predicted they wouldn't last any longer at ORF than they did at PHF. They proved me wrong. Good for them. Good for ORF too. In my defense, they're not the same airline they were in 2013. Which is also a good thing. So yay for me being wrong :footinmouth: That said, while they have solidified their Florida footprint, the rest of it? Still throwing darts at a map. They may be done with that at Norfolk for now, though, because they've got such a strong Florida presence that they don't need the rest of the country. I just wish the Cleveland flight was better timed.

UA: Nothing new here. I think they're done growing ORF for a while.

F9: Who bloody knows? I've given up trying to predict what that schizophrenic airline is going to do.
 
flybaby
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:20 am

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:33 pm

@vatveng: I agree with most of your observations. Folks do tend to forget just how much WN reduced service at ORF after the AirTran merger.

I thought at some point DL was supposed to get the A223 also. When will that happen?

As for G4... they’ve stated that they can get more operational hours out of their Airbus fleet than their old MD fleet and that’s allowing them to increase AC utilization. It seems that they’re getting too aggressive though and this is resulting in these very poorly timed flights. Currently, their PIE-ORF flight for example leaves at 6:30am on Sunday. As I mentioned before... that’s insane for a “weekend” airline. But hey, at least they're less dartboardy/schizophrenic than F9. Overall ORF fits G4’s other strategy of growing into mid-sized markets (after having done very well in smaller markets which have long been neglected by the majors).
 
lesmainwaring
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:47 am

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:10 pm

At ORF, my hometown airport, I do see some moderate growth from DL, perhaps SLC. I'd love to see MSP go year-round. I hope to see DTW go mainline and larger regional jets to JFK.

WN - I could see HOU, especially with the international connections. I'm glad to see ATL, if for no other reason than to lower some DL fares.

UA - not so much, a flight or two with larger equipment to EWR would be nice.

AA - I'd love to see PHX, even seasonal, but I don't see it happening. Larger equipment to PHL would be nice.

G4, F9 - some growth, settling in, an oddball route or two, I think they are going to stick around for a while longer.

ORF/PHF

I think we'll see either B6 or NK in 2020, and I am hopeful (fingers crossed) that somewhere down the pike we'll be on Moxy's radar

ORF so very briefly had AC, I would love to have something again ORF-YYZ

Happy New Year and safe travels!
I want something under my wheels thats plenty long and mighty dry --- Vern Demarest
 
SRQflyer
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:59 pm

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:24 pm

We should include LYH in this thread as well.

They recently increased to 7x daily to CLT on AA. (2-CR7, 4-ER4, 1-E135). Pax count was up 25% following the addition of the 7th flight. Airport officials say they are in high level discussion with UA for IAD service and Spirit for Florida service. The news outlets also reported talking to G4, but i find that to be a stretch given they operate PIE and SFB out of ROA just 40 miles away.

https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2019/12/18/after-nearly-three-decades-lynchburgs-airport-finally-sees-gains/
 
CHOWahoo
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:16 am

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Surprised LYH doesn't have 2x daily IAD on UA. That's a 3+ hour drive with no traffic.
 
User avatar
ElroyJetson
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:50 pm

I and several other posters have been saying for years that WN should expand at RIC. They recently added a few token flights to TPA and MCO.

I think MDW, BNA, and STL could work but until the MAX situation is sorted out i just don't see it happening.

CHO and ROA must get at least one daily flight to DFW. CHO is a very affluent city and I guarantee you 80% of the West Coast traffic from CHO just drives up the road to IAD. It a shame because I think both cities could easily support a CRJ flight to DFW daily. Maybe AA will get its act together.

ORF can possibly make PHX or SLC work. The question is does DL or AA want to overfly existing hubs. My guess is unless the PDEW numbers clearly support such flights they will not. I think SLC could may be work better because it can connect pax to smaller West coast cities like Reno, Spokane, Oakland, Fresno etc better than DTW or MSP.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:14 pm

SRQflyer wrote:
We should include LYH in this thread as well.

LYH is included here. This is a Virginia except IAD/DCA thread, but that doesn't make for a very snappy title. I'll update the title to hopefully better reflect the topic.
 
NorfolkSpotter
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:11 am

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:54 pm

Allegiant just announced ORF-BNA, ORF-PIT and ORF-LCK. Flights begin on May 22nd and will run twice a week most likely using an A319. I didn’t see any of these coming, but it will be interesting to see how they do.
 
User avatar
ElroyJetson
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:39 pm

NorfolkSpotter wrote:
Allegiant just announced ORF-BNA, ORF-PIT and ORF-LCK. Flights begin on May 22nd and will run twice a week most likely using an A319. I didn’t see any of these coming, but it will be interesting to see how they do.



I feel confident the BNA flight will be successful. G4 started a RIC-BNA flight last year that was initially supposed to be seasonal but it quickly went year round. I think ORF has the PDEW to BNA to make it work. The others.....I honestly don't know.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100
 
User avatar
ElroyJetson
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:47 pm

RIC did not do a formal press release for November traffic so I did some digging and found the data on the airport website. The link is below.

RIC had a .77% increase in traffic compared to last year. That translates into about 3,000 more pax. For the year traffic is up 6.93%. RIC is on pace for nearly 4.4 million pax this year. I noticed ORF traffic was down slightly for November, likely due to the late Thanksgiving with traffic slipping over into December. This probably why RIC was up so slightly. All in all good numbers for an airport that continues to grow.



https://t4s7f2q2.stackpathcdn.com/wp-co ... Report.pdf
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100
 
User avatar
vatveng
Posts: 1248
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:49 pm

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:18 pm

December 2019 was the busiest December ever for ORF, and 2019 was the busiest year ever according to airport press release.

https://www.norfolkairport.com/sites/de ... elease.pdf

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/ ... 0787d297a9
 
jplatts
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Virginia Aviation Thread (RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO) - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:35 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
I and several other posters have been saying for years that WN should expand at RIC. They recently added a few token flights to TPA and MCO.

I think MDW, BNA, and STL could work but until the MAX situation is sorted out i just don't see it happening.


I have mentioned that the lack of RIC-MDW nonstop service is one of the biggest holes in WN's network due to
(a) RIC-Chicago already having higher PDEW's than a few markets that already have nonstop service to Chicago on AA, UA, and WN,
(b) RIC lacking 1-stop connecting service on WN to some domestic destinations that have 1-stop connecting service from almost all of the other contiguous U.S. destinations on WN, and
(c) RIC would gain 1-stop connecting service to at least 14 additional contiguous U.S. markets on WN if WN adds RIC-MDW nonstop service.

Adam Decaire, vice president of Network Planning at Southwest Airlines Co., had also recently said in the Dallas Business Journal that "From every point on [WN's] network, we'd like you to get to every other point on [WN's] network easily." WN adding RIC-MDW and RIC-DEN nonstop service are both possibilities with WN having plans to improve connectivity within its network.

The circumstances have also changed in the RIC market since WN started service out of RIC under the Southwest brand on November 2, 2013 with (a) G4 and NK both now serving RIC and (b) G4 having announced plans to serve MDW starting on May 21, 2020. WN also likely needs to defend against NK possibly adding RIC-ORD nonstop service or G4 possibly adding RIC-MDW nonstop service, something that wasn't the case back in November 2013.

WN would have advantages over both NK and G4 on the RIC-Chicago route if WN adds RIC-MDW nonstop service due to (a) WN's FF base in the Chicago market, (b) MDW being one of the largest WN focus cities, and (c) RIC gaining 1-stop connecting service to at least 14 additional domestic destinations on WN.
 
User avatar
ElroyJetson
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 pm

vatveng wrote:
December 2019 was the busiest December ever for ORF, and 2019 was the busiest year ever according to airport press release.

https://www.norfolkairport.com/sites/de ... elease.pdf

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/ ... 0787d297a9



Strong growth for ORF. Nearly 4 million pax for 2019. I think key airliners are finally beginning to really take ORF and RIC seriously.

Now if CHO and ROA can each get an AA flight to DFW......
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100
 
Gulfstream500
Posts: 432
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:33 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
NorfolkSpotter wrote:
Allegiant just announced ORF-BNA, ORF-PIT and ORF-LCK. Flights begin on May 22nd and will run twice a week most likely using an A319. I didn’t see any of these coming, but it will be interesting to see how they do.



I feel confident the BNA flight will be successful. G4 started a RIC-BNA flight last year that was initially supposed to be seasonal but it quickly went year round. I think ORF has the PDEW to BNA to make it work. The others.....I honestly don't know.


That brings the total up to 10 cities for ORF through Allegiant... I am surprised that the Ohio routes are doing well, a few more adds and maybe they'll make an operating base at ORF.
 
flybaby
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:20 am

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:
NorfolkSpotter wrote:
Allegiant just announced ORF-BNA, ORF-PIT and ORF-LCK. Flights begin on May 22nd and will run twice a week most likely using an A319. I didn’t see any of these coming, but it will be interesting to see how they do.



I feel confident the BNA flight will be successful. G4 started a RIC-BNA flight last year that was initially supposed to be seasonal but it quickly went year round. I think ORF has the PDEW to BNA to make it work. The others.....I honestly don't know.


That brings the total up to 10 cities for ORF through Allegiant... I am surprised that the Ohio routes are doing well, a few more adds and maybe they'll make an operating base at ORF.


Well, it looks like Cleveland will remain summer seasonal though. Hopefully it returns in 2021. We’ll see how Columbus does.

The BNA flights will compete with WN’s 1x weekly flight.

PGD was not extended beyond April. The rest of the Florida cities were extended through the rest of G4’s schedule though. The crazy Sunday flight times to PIE and JAX (same equipment does those flights) have been finally corrected post-mid-August.
 
chinchaaa
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:30 pm

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:41 pm

Do you all ever see a world in which flights are run out of Winchester (WGO)? It would be fun to have maybe 1 daily flight to CLT or something out of Winchester. The drive to IAD is a bear.
 
NorfolkSpotter
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:11 am

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:49 pm

chinchaaa wrote:
Do you all ever see a world in which flights are run out of Winchester (WGO)? It would be fun to have maybe 1 daily flight to CLT or something out of Winchester. The drive to IAD is a bear.



It would most likely depend on how much demand there is, and if Winchester had facilities that could handle an ERJ or CRJ
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:29 pm

NorfolkSpotter wrote:
chinchaaa wrote:
Do you all ever see a world in which flights are run out of Winchester (WGO)? It would be fun to have maybe 1 daily flight to CLT or something out of Winchester. The drive to IAD is a bear.



It would most likely depend on how much demand there is, and if Winchester had facilities that could handle an ERJ or CRJ

While that sounds great, I sincerely doubt it, especially while AA and co. are reducing the 50-seater count in their fleets.
Although, heck, if SHD can get 3x UA flights, maybe Winchester can get 2 a day to CLT. Only problem is CLT might be out of the way of many of the traffic flows from VA. WGO-CLT-BOS/LGA would be a pain.
-Andrés Juánez
 
Gulfstream500
Posts: 432
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 am

Looks like the MD-88 retirement at DL is starting to take effect in Virginia. Only 1 of 9 frequencies to ATL from RIC will be on an MD-88, as of March 1st. The rest of the frequencies will be 3 MD-90s, 1 B717, and 4 Boeing 737s.
 
User avatar
vatveng
Posts: 1248
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:49 pm

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:43 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
Looks like the MD-88 retirement at DL is starting to take effect in Virginia. Only 1 of 9 frequencies to ATL from RIC will be on an MD-88, as of March 1st. The rest of the frequencies will be 3 MD-90s, 1 B717, and 4 Boeing 737s.


ORF is also showing mostly 737 and 717 in March. But it's highly variable as some days there are no MD88 scheduled and some days there are 9 of them. Of course there are a lot of 757s scheduled and they always - always - get changed within 2 weeks of departure to (usually) a MadDog.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:18 pm

Is anyone aware of any upcoming announcements at RIC this week?

F9 has some upcoming route announcements this week (including the return of F9 to ILG), and F9 might possibly announce RIC-DEN nonstop service with RIC being one of the largest markets not currently served by F9.

The upcoming F9 announcements are being discussed at https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1439837.
 
User avatar
ElroyJetson
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm

Outstanding news from RIC Airport.

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/articl ... d-in-2019/



Richmond International Airport broke passenger record in 2019
RIC handled more than 4.3M passengers in the past year.

Published January 28, 2020 by Sydney Lake

Richmond International Airport (RIC) handled a record 4.3 million passengers in 2019 — a 7.4% bump from 12 months ago.

In December 2019, RIC had a passenger traffic count of 381,767 — 12.7% more than December 2018. It was the 27th month in a row that the airport has reported record traffic.

Southwest Airlines Co., United Airlines Inc., Spirit Airlines Inc. and Delta Air Lines Inc. reported year-over-year passenger growth. Delta saw 30.3% of the total passenger traffic at RIC.

Operating revenues for the airport for the fiscal year were $27.3 million — an increase of 2.8%. The airport also saw annual increases of cargo by 1% to 140 million pounds handled and in a 5.3% growth in aircraft movements.

RIC offers domestic flights and connecting options to international flights. RIC and its tenants create approximately 16,000 jobs and create $2.1 billion in economic activity in the Richmond region annually.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos