Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Blerg
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:47 pm

Wasn't it reported that Sudan and Israel are about to normalize ties? Could it mean that they would have to fly to Sudan and then head north towards Egypt?
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:59 pm

AF022 wrote:
I'm not sure how they could operate LOS-TLV and avoid Arab airspace.


Right now fights from LOS-TLV usually route via an Egyptian airport.
 
grjplanes
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:52 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:11 pm

It is reported that SAA will drop ABJ tag from 29 Feb
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:34 pm

grjplanes wrote:
It is reported that SAA will drop ABJ tag from 29 Feb


How coincidental that SAA's codeshare partner AWA starts ACC-ABJ flights on 14FEB20....
 
ghdc10
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:45 am

B747-437B, do you have any update on the progress of north apron development at ACC? Do you know what the plan for utilization could be? Quite a long ride from terminal 3 so I am guessing domestic/short haul from terminal 1/2 along with business aircraft?
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:54 am

ghdc10 wrote:
B747-437B, do you have any update on the progress of north apron development at ACC? Do you know what the plan for utilization could be? Quite a long ride from terminal 3 so I am guessing domestic/short haul from terminal 1/2 along with business aircraft?


Right now Echo ramp (the northernmost area) is dedicated to AWA - both domestic and international flights. Delta ramp is used by Passion Air and visiting business jets, while Charlie ramp is used for Terminal 3 operations. The northern ramp expansion is supposedly being designed to accomodate widebody parking, so quite possibly it will take the visiting military/cargo overflow from the cargo apron as well as other long term visitors that can't really fit into Delta ramp.
 
behramjee
Posts: 5071
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Air Senegal announces new 3 weekly Dakar-Geneva-Dakar nonstop service using an Airbus A321 effective 18Jun.

Cabin configuration is 165 seats i.e. 16J (flat beds) + 149Y thus making it the first African carrier to offer a flat bed product on board a narrow body jet.

Flights land into GVA at 0825 and depart back at 0955 (Days 1/4/6) offering convenient 2 way connections via DSS (under 2 hours both ways) to ABJ BKO RAI BJL CKY and NKC.
 
debonair
Posts: 3776
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:48 am

behramjee wrote:
Air Senegal announces new 3 weekly Dakar-Geneva-Dakar nonstop service using an Airbus A321 effective 18Jun.


According to their own web-page, so far no A321... Where is the A321 coming from? https://flyairsenegal.com/en/discover/fleet/

In other news - https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2020/
Dakar – Barcelona – Marseille – Dakar 28JUN20 – 06SEP20 Increase from 3 to 4 weekly
HC405 DSS0015 – 0700BCN0835 – 0945MRS1110 – 1425DSS 330 x235


Will it be possible to book 5th freedom flights between BCN and MRS?! :hyper:
 
behramjee
Posts: 5071
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:52 pm

debonair wrote:
behramjee wrote:
Air Senegal announces new 3 weekly Dakar-Geneva-Dakar nonstop service using an Airbus A321 effective 18Jun.


According to their own web-page, so far no A321... Where is the A321 coming from? https://flyairsenegal.com/en/discover/fleet/

In other news - https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2020/
Dakar – Barcelona – Marseille – Dakar 28JUN20 – 06SEP20 Increase from 3 to 4 weekly
HC405 DSS0015 – 0700BCN0835 – 0945MRS1110 – 1425DSS 330 x235


Will it be possible to book 5th freedom flights between BCN and MRS?! :hyper:


Two A321s are being dry leased from April and they are ex Thomas Cook machines which have been cabin retrofitted.
 
Blerg
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:39 am

So Air Senegal is slowly going down the same road as ET. Will be interesting to see how they perform long-term, their geographical location isn't as favorable as Ethiopian's.
 
AF022
Posts: 1858
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:41 pm

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:48 am

B747-437B wrote:
grjplanes wrote:
It is reported that SAA will drop ABJ tag from 29 Feb


How coincidental that SAA's codeshare partner AWA starts ACC-ABJ flights on 14FEB20....


I don't think the timings are going to work. If SAA keeps the same schedule JNB-ACC-JNB with the Washington routing, JNB-ACC will arrive ACC at 2145. AW would have to change their ACC-ABJ schedule, probably departing ACC at 2245 and arriving ABJ at 2340. This probably wouldn't be attractive for the local market.
 
debonair
Posts: 3776
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:33 pm

behramjee wrote:
Two A321s are being dry leased from April and they are ex Thomas Cook machines which have been cabin retrofitted.


You have more details regarding the registration/airframes?!
 
mapletux
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:49 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:49 pm

Airbus has signed an MOU with Nigerian startup airline Green Africa Airways for About 50 A220s. The airline had previously announced plans to buy 100 of Boeing’s 737 MAX jets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/airbus-nea ... 1581571923
 
grjplanes
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:52 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:15 pm

Reports today that ASKY will launch nonstop JNB-LFW from middle-March, with a focus to connect to ABJ. SAA flights have been removed from end of Feb.

It is unclear whether ASKY is adding this in addition to the current routing LFW-LOS-DLA/LBV-JNB...and thus having 2 daily flights to JNB, any more clarity on this?
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1773
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: West African Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm

SouthAmericaAM wrote:
Cabo Verde is running their network with several delays, due to two major problems: fleet constraints and bad weather in Europe, specially Lisbon.

The new service to Porto Alegre foe example are being operated a few times with stop in FOR or SSA. The wet leased Cobrex 737-300 are helping to run some schedule flights from SID to LIS and mitigate major impacts.


Cathay Pacific should wet lease them a couple of A330s for the next few months. Better than leaving them parked.
 
Williamsb747
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 9:14 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:50 pm

grjplanes wrote:
Reports today that ASKY will launch nonstop JNB-LFW from middle-March, with a focus to connect to ABJ. SAA flights have been removed from end of Feb.

It is unclear whether ASKY is adding this in addition to the current routing LFW-LOS-DLA/LBV-JNB...and thus having 2 daily flights to JNB, any more clarity on this?


https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... arch-2020/
According to this report it will be 2 daily flights however reservations are currently closed.

Williams-
B747>A340>A350>B777>MD11>B767>B757>MD88/90>B787>A380>A330>A220>A320>B737.
CPT JNB
 
grjplanes
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:52 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:04 pm

The other flight is open for bookings just to LOS, not all the way to LFW anymore, still 3 weekly JNB-DLA-LOS and 4 weekly JNB-LBV-LOS.

The nonstop JNB is more timed to connect to all the other routes to West Africa.

Both flights are scheduled with 737-800, and will be in JNB together, as the new nonstop flight overnights in JNB.
 
Motorhussy
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2000 7:49 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:28 pm

mapletux wrote:
Airbus has signed an MOU with Nigerian startup airline Green Africa Airways for About 50 A220s. The airline had previously announced plans to buy 100 of Boeing’s 737 MAX jets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/airbus-nea ... 1581571923


How well capitalised are they and what’s the aviation experience of their executive team? IE, how likely is this to go ahead let alone succeed?

I read the FlightGlobal article. It appears to me to be a great aircraft for them but what is their network intention, domestic, regional, beyond?

https://www.flightglobal.com/orders-and-deliveries/lagos-based-green-africa-signs-for-50-a220s/136732.article
come visit the south pacific
 
Motorhussy
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2000 7:49 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:30 pm

Motorhussy wrote:
mapletux wrote:
Airbus has signed an MOU with Nigerian startup airline Green Africa Airways for About 50 A220s. The airline had previously announced plans to buy 100 of Boeing’s 737 MAX jets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/airbus-nea ... 1581571923


How well capitalised are they and what’s the aviation experience of their executive team? IE, how likely is this to go ahead let alone succeed?

I read the FlightGlobal article. It appears to me to be a great aircraft for them but what is their network intention, domestic, regional, beyond?

https://www.flightglobal.com/orders-and-deliveries/lagos-based-green-africa-signs-for-50-a220s/136732.article
come visit the south pacific
 
mapletux
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:49 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:29 pm

Motorhussy wrote:
How well capitalised are they and what’s the aviation experience of their executive team? IE, how likely is this to go ahead let alone succeed?

I read the FlightGlobal article. It appears to me to be a great aircraft for them but what is their network intention, domestic, regional, beyond?

https://www.flightglobal.com/orders-and-deliveries/lagos-based-green-africa-signs-for-50-a220s/136732.article


All of Africa, Europe and the Middle East are all well within range from Lagos.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=3300nm%40LOS
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:10 pm

Africa World Airlines has commenced flights between Accra and Abidjan - its 10th destination

https://voyagesafriq.com/2020/02/15/afr ... an-flight/
 
Blerg
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:03 am

B747-437B wrote:
Africa World Airlines has commenced flights between Accra and Abidjan - its 10th destination

https://voyagesafriq.com/2020/02/15/afr ... an-flight/


Very interesting article, thank you. Nice to see them perform so well and grow. I see they are owned by the HNA Group which has been struggling in a while. Now either AWA is doing financially well or the investment is not so big so HNA can handle them.

In the article it writes that they will add more planes this year, I wonder if they will stick to E145.
 
ghdc10
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:31 am

Anyone know which charter airline will be taking Nigerian BA diversion pax to LOS? Hotels in ACC close to the airport have enjoyed a nice bump in bookings for the past week no doubt!
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:17 am

ghdc10 wrote:
Anyone know which charter airline will be taking Nigerian BA diversion pax to LOS?


Euroatlantic 767 CS-TKT.
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Blerg wrote:
In the article it writes that they will add more planes this year, I wonder if they will stick to E145.


Yes, that was what Togbe said in his speech (2 more E145s this year already planned, and maybe 2 additional airframes later in the year) although the media didn't quite report his quote accurately.
 
Blerg
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:51 pm

B747-437B wrote:
Blerg wrote:
In the article it writes that they will add more planes this year, I wonder if they will stick to E145.


Yes, that was what Togbe said in his speech (2 more E145s this year already planned, and maybe 2 additional airframes later in the year) although the media didn't quite report his quote accurately.


Thank you. I suppose they will use these to further boost their network, I wonder what we might see.
 
ghdc10
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:47 pm

Blerg wrote:
B747-437B wrote:
Blerg wrote:
In the article it writes that they will add more planes this year, I wonder if they will stick to E145.


Yes, that was what Togbe said in his speech (2 more E145s this year already planned, and maybe 2 additional airframes later in the year) although the media didn't quite report his quote accurately.


Thank you. I suppose they will use these to further boost their network, I wonder what we might see.


Surprised AWA couldn't put on extra flights to LOS and ABV as charter for stranded pax.

E145s are perfect size for startups developing new routes. Makes me wonder when manufacturers will unveil newer jet-engined models with engine advancements/greater fuel efficiency/passenger comfort. Coming up on 25 years since first flight of E145 family.

Dele Momodu sounds incompetent in this article:
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2020/02/15/african-world-airlines-and-its-dangerous-greed/

He is precisely the kind of thought leader that would have every African country start a vanity project national airline with large aircraft. A whole lot of ridiculous pomposity for someone who cannot even afford his own private jet rental. Carnival barking clown! Why doesn't he just go fly Arik, or better yet Dana and then fall out of the sky? Dele, na nobody force you oh. Pack your load-e-go!

The sensible case to be made is that as routes mature, AWA will need extra capacity beyond what available slots can offer and larger aircraft will be used. My hope is that the economics of the route push us towards A220 or other newer generation aircraft.
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:13 pm

ghdc10 wrote:
Surprised AWA couldn't put on extra flights to LOS and ABV as charter for stranded pax.


AWA has had to cancel 40+ flights between ACC/LOS vv this week as well. They have more pax stranded than any of the other airlines, so not really easy to find additional capacity for charter purposes. Additionally, the visibility in Lagos is still right at the borderline for legal operations, so AWA was able to run just 1 out of 4 scheduled flights on the Lagos route so far today (AW 218/219), with the midnight flight (AW 228) now checking in as well and expected to depart on schedule.

Various airports in Ghana have also been affected by the bad weather, but not to the same extent as Lagos due to better functionality of navigation aids. AWA has proactively cancelled around 40% of the domestic schedule until Wednesday, as well as issued a systemwide waiver of change fees for all passengers booked to travel until 19FEB20. Also, passengers booked to/from Lagos are able to opt to fly to/from Abuja instead at no extra charge subject to seat availability. However, all Abuja flights are now sold out through until at least Wednesday.
 
ghdc10
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 am

B747-437B wrote:
ghdc10 wrote:
Surprised AWA couldn't put on extra flights to LOS and ABV as charter for stranded pax.


AWA has had to cancel 40+ flights between ACC/LOS vv this week as well. They have more pax stranded than any of the other airlines, so not really easy to find additional capacity for charter purposes. Additionally, the visibility in Lagos is still right at the borderline for legal operations, so AWA was able to run just 1 out of 4 scheduled flights on the Lagos route so far today (AW 218/219), with the midnight flight (AW 228) now checking in as well and expected to depart on schedule.

Various airports in Ghana have also been affected by the bad weather, but not to the same extent as Lagos due to better functionality of navigation aids. AWA has proactively cancelled around 40% of the domestic schedule until Wednesday, as well as issued a systemwide waiver of change fees for all passengers booked to travel until 19FEB20. Also, passengers booked to/from Lagos are able to opt to fly to/from Abuja instead at no extra charge subject to seat availability. However, all Abuja flights are now sold out through until at least Wednesday.


I don't live in Ghana at the moment so 40+ flight cancellation is news to me. Certainly did not receive the kind of coverage it deserves.
Seems Lufthansa was able to fly into Lagos. How is this so?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/lh569
 
Blerg
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:30 am

ghdc10 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
B747-437B wrote:

Yes, that was what Togbe said in his speech (2 more E145s this year already planned, and maybe 2 additional airframes later in the year) although the media didn't quite report his quote accurately.


Thank you. I suppose they will use these to further boost their network, I wonder what we might see.


Surprised AWA couldn't put on extra flights to LOS and ABV as charter for stranded pax.

E145s are perfect size for startups developing new routes. Makes me wonder when manufacturers will unveil newer jet-engined models with engine advancements/greater fuel efficiency/passenger comfort. Coming up on 25 years since first flight of E145 family.

Dele Momodu sounds incompetent in this article:
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2020/02/15/african-world-airlines-and-its-dangerous-greed/

He is precisely the kind of thought leader that would have every African country start a vanity project national airline with large aircraft. A whole lot of ridiculous pomposity for someone who cannot even afford his own private jet rental. Carnival barking clown! Why doesn't he just go fly Arik, or better yet Dana and then fall out of the sky? Dele, na nobody force you oh. Pack your load-e-go!

The sensible case to be made is that as routes mature, AWA will need extra capacity beyond what available slots can offer and larger aircraft will be used. My hope is that the economics of the route push us towards A220 or other newer generation aircraft.


Maybe the A220 would be too expensive for them to operate right after E145. I am sure they could find cheap E75 or even E95 on the market? I am sure there are routes out there that would require something larger, especially as they keep on boosting their network and as more connections become viable. Maybe in the future they could consider a combination of E95 and the Atr. After all the latter is perfect for shorter (up to 2 hours) regional destinations. Air Senegal seems to be doing just that.
 
budgetflyer
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:42 am

behramjee wrote:
debonair wrote:
behramjee wrote:
Air Senegal announces new 3 weekly Dakar-Geneva-Dakar nonstop service using an Airbus A321 effective 18Jun.


According to their own web-page, so far no A321... Where is the A321 coming from? https://flyairsenegal.com/en/discover/fleet/

In other news - https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2020/
Dakar – Barcelona – Marseille – Dakar 28JUN20 – 06SEP20 Increase from 3 to 4 weekly
HC405 DSS0015 – 0700BCN0835 – 0945MRS1110 – 1425DSS 330 x235


Will it be possible to book 5th freedom flights between BCN and MRS?! :hyper:


Two A321s are being dry leased from April and they are ex Thomas Cook machines which have been cabin retrofitted.


Air Senegal will also start A321 flights to CMN in April. According to airlineroute, the A321 will be fitted with 16 lie-flat seats in business for 165 seats total. Not bad for a 4 hour flight!

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... pril-2020/
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 am

Blerg wrote:
B747-437B wrote:
Blerg wrote:
In the article it writes that they will add more planes this year, I wonder if they will stick to E145.


Yes, that was what Togbe said in his speech (2 more E145s this year already planned, and maybe 2 additional airframes later in the year) although the media didn't quite report his quote accurately.


Thank you. I suppose they will use these to further boost their network, I wonder what we might see.


Here is the actual video of the interviews with Togbe and others which give more details about the plans (and which were the basis of the media articles earlier referenced).

https://youtu.be/proYMfUpIko?t=310
 
ghdc10
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:02 pm

B747-437B wrote:
Blerg wrote:
B747-437B wrote:

Yes, that was what Togbe said in his speech (2 more E145s this year already planned, and maybe 2 additional airframes later in the year) although the media didn't quite report his quote accurately.


Thank you. I suppose they will use these to further boost their network, I wonder what we might see.


Here is the actual video of the interviews with Togbe and others which give more details about the plans (and which were the basis of the media articles earlier referenced).

https://youtu.be/proYMfUpIko?t=310


Two larger planes! :D :D :D :D
I cannot wait to see an E170/190 or 737/A320 in operation for AWA!
 
berari
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:35 pm

grjplanes wrote:
Reports today that ASKY will launch nonstop JNB-LFW from middle-March, with a focus to connect to ABJ. SAA flights have been removed from end of Feb.

It is unclear whether ASKY is adding this in addition to the current routing LFW-LOS-DLA/LBV-JNB...and thus having 2 daily flights to JNB, any more clarity on this?


For what it's worth, the timings go beyond a focus on ABJ, but many more of the offerings that KP and ET have out of LFW, including all of West African destinations, Houston and Newark. This has been a long time coming!
 
mapletux
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:49 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:40 am

Green Africa Airways will lease 3 Airbus A220 from GTLK Europe in order to start operations this year pending the arrival of their own airframes.

https://simpleflying.com/green-africa-a ... st-launch/
 
mapletux
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:49 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:55 pm

Emirates and other international carriers have suspended flights into LOS due to weather and ILS issues.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ils-issues

https://simpleflying.com/emirates-lagos ... uspension/
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:18 pm

Nigerian agency issues summons to British Airways CEO over diverted flight

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/mor ... ation.html
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:22 am

Nigerian officials accuse foreign airlines of diverting flights to embarrass Federal Government rather than due to faulty ILS.

"Out of anger, these foreign airlines decided to go and dump their Nigerian passengers in foreign countries as a way of embarrassing the government,” the director said.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/dum ... arrass-fg/
 
AF022
Posts: 1858
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:41 pm

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:53 pm

B747-437B wrote:
Nigerian officials accuse foreign airlines of diverting flights to embarrass Federal Government rather than due to faulty ILS.

"Out of anger, these foreign airlines decided to go and dump their Nigerian passengers in foreign countries as a way of embarrassing the government,” the director said.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/dum ... arrass-fg/


Hilarious.
 
ghdc10
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:47 pm

B747-437B wrote:
Nigerian officials accuse foreign airlines of diverting flights to embarrass Federal Government rather than due to faulty ILS.

"Out of anger, these foreign airlines decided to go and dump their Nigerian passengers in foreign countries as a way of embarrassing the government,” the director said.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/dum ... arrass-fg/


A wiser man once said, “Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.”
 
mr02
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:21 pm

B747-437B wrote:
Nigerian officials accuse foreign airlines of diverting flights to embarrass Federal Government rather than due to faulty ILS.

"Out of anger, these foreign airlines decided to go and dump their Nigerian passengers in foreign countries as a way of embarrassing the government,” the director said.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/dum ... arrass-fg/

Lol. Are the diversions still taking place?
 
ghdc10
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:55 am

mr02 wrote:
B747-437B wrote:
Nigerian officials accuse foreign airlines of diverting flights to embarrass Federal Government rather than due to faulty ILS.

"Out of anger, these foreign airlines decided to go and dump their Nigerian passengers in foreign countries as a way of embarrassing the government,” the director said.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/dum ... arrass-fg/

Lol. Are the diversions still taking place?



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvdb9dI-rGY

This video shows DL A333, EK 777 and BA 747 diversions sitting in Accra. I know this because it is during daylight hours and BA flights are evening flights. Also DL operates B763 to ACC.
One can clearly see ACC had very poor visibility and I can imagine LOS was just as bad or worse wit CATII system.
 
waly777
Posts: 761
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:40 am

ghdc10 wrote:
mr02 wrote:
B747-437B wrote:
Nigerian officials accuse foreign airlines of diverting flights to embarrass Federal Government rather than due to faulty ILS.

"Out of anger, these foreign airlines decided to go and dump their Nigerian passengers in foreign countries as a way of embarrassing the government,” the director said.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/dum ... arrass-fg/

Lol. Are the diversions still taking place?



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvdb9dI-rGY

This video shows DL A333, EK 777 and BA 747 diversions sitting in Accra. I know this because it is during daylight hours and BA flights are evening flights. Also DL operates B763 to ACC.
One can clearly see ACC had very poor visibility and I can imagine LOS was just as bad or worse wit CATII system.


Yea, that was my video. I was stranded in Accra for 2 nights as a result and saw all of the above + a QR 787 as well. But that was before valentine's day, the diversions have stopped as far I'm aware. I received information that the ILS @ LOS had finally been calibrated
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:57 am

ghdc10 wrote:
One can clearly see ACC had very poor visibility and I can imagine LOS was just as bad or worse wit CATII system.


Accra visibility was much worse than Lagos throughout most of the period. However due to both ILS in Lagos being non-operational, operations there were restricted to visibility above 1700m (VOR 18L) and 1800m (RNAV 18R), while Accra ILS CAT II approach permits operation at 800m visibilty.
 
NZ321
Posts: 1213
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: West African Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:47 pm

3BNBE wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

In Mauritius a few days ago it was due to a typhoon that flights had to be postponed, do you know more about this incident in C.V.?


Not really an incident, more like a weather hazard. Cyclones are regular from November to April in that part of the Indian Ocean, and with a cyclone warning (class 3 over 4), the airport was closed and all flights were cancelled. The airport was closed from the 30th to noon on the 31st, with almost all flights being rescheduled in that peak period. Flights to Reunion and Rodrigues were mostly affected (with more than 10 flights being operated to Reunion and RRG each daily during that period).
MK and other airlines rescheduled the flights on the 31st, and as a result the airport was VERY crowded, with 4 A380 flights in 12 hours arriving (Emirates) and 2 flights from AF, BA, TK and SA on that day.


If you have details you should report to aviationherald. They are a great summary of events in the industry.
Plane mad!
 
ghdc10
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:06 pm

TK announces plans to introduce A330 on IST-ACC 4 times a week with 737-900ER operating the remainder of daily flight schedule.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/290005/turkish-airlines-s20-long-haul-changes-as-of-28feb20/

Surprised after many years of operating the ACC-JFK route DL is still at 4 flights a week - anyone got insights into their traffic numbers? Do they have codeshares/connectivity through partner airlines to grow volume?
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:56 am

ghdc10 wrote:
Surprised after many years of operating the ACC-JFK route DL is still at 4 flights a week


Delta has experimented with plenty of different schedules to Accra. They have flown ACC-JFK 4x weekly throughout, but they have also flown ACC-ATL 3x weekly at some points, as well as extended the flights onward to ROB and ABV at various times. In the end, the only schedule that seems to have worked long-term for them is the 4x weekly from JFK with no tag.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:02 pm

B747-437B wrote:
ghdc10 wrote:
Surprised after many years of operating the ACC-JFK route DL is still at 4 flights a week


Delta has experimented with plenty of different schedules to Accra. They have flown ACC-JFK 4x weekly throughout, but they have also flown ACC-ATL 3x weekly at some points, as well as extended the flights onward to ROB and ABV at various times. In the end, the only schedule that seems to have worked long-term for them is the 4x weekly from JFK with no tag.


Wonder if DL will expand in Western Africa to counter AA entry and Royal Marco joining One World Alliance.
 
evanb
Posts: 908
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:26 pm

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:02 pm

Delta28L wrote:
Wonder if DL will expand in Western Africa to counter AA entry and Royal Marco joining One World Alliance.


AA already have substantial capacity into Africa through the JV with BA. Granted, West Africa isn't the strongest part of BA's network, but they do have ABV, ACC and LOS. CMN will complement this with a lot more designations, but ultimately less available capacity.

I'm not sure that Delta would respond in any specific way since the capacity change relative to the total market would still be minor.
 
ghdc10
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 am

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:16 am

evanb wrote:
Delta28L wrote:
Wonder if DL will expand in Western Africa to counter AA entry and Royal Marco joining One World Alliance.


AA already have substantial capacity into Africa through the JV with BA. Granted, West Africa isn't the strongest part of BA's network, but they do have ABV, ACC and LOS. CMN will complement this with a lot more designations, but ultimately less available capacity.

I'm not sure that Delta would respond in any specific way since the capacity change relative to the total market would still be minor.


The trouble is that West Africans are still going to Europe/North Africa to get to North America. Nothing makes the case for Africa World Airlines' growth more than this scenario. Each city cannot grow long haul routes on their own without connections. Once AWA has larger aircraft and more cities come into range, they would be the ideal partner for DL in ACC. KQ schedules from Freetown and Monrovia aren't going to be enough to feed the ACC-JFK route for daily flights. Luanda, Douala, Dar es Salaam and Harare are all possible contenders. One would not have to backtrack to Southern Africa to head west!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos