Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ghdc10

Re: West and Central African Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:16 am

evanb wrote:
Delta28L wrote:
Wonder if DL will expand in Western Africa to counter AA entry and Royal Marco joining One World Alliance.

AA already have substantial capacity into Africa through the JV with BA. Granted, West Africa isn't the strongest part of BA's network, but they do have ABV, ACC and LOS. CMN will complement this with a lot more designations, but ultimately less available capacity.

I'm not sure that Delta would respond in any specific way since the capacity change relative to the total market would still be minor.

The trouble is that West Africans are still going to Europe/North Africa to get to North America. Nothing makes the case for Africa World Airlines' growth more than this scenario. Each city cannot grow long haul routes on their own without connections. Once AWA has larger aircraft and more cities come into range, they would be the ideal partner for DL in ACC. KQ schedules from Freetown and Monrovia aren't going to be enough to feed the ACC-JFK route for daily flights. Luanda, Douala, Dar es Salaam and Harare are all possible contenders. One would not have to backtrack to Southern Africa to head west!

ghdc10

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:19 am

Did TAAG really start ACC-LAD?

B747-437B

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:26 am

ghdc10 wrote:
Did TAAG really start ACC-LAD?

No

evanb

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:40 am

ghdc10 wrote:
The trouble is that West Africans are still going to Europe/North Africa to get to North America.

Why is this troubling? European hubs are more efficient and lower cost. That's how hubs work.

ghdc10 wrote:
Nothing makes the case for Africa World Airlines' growth more than this scenario. Each city cannot grow long haul routes on their own without connections. Once AWA has larger aircraft and more cities come into range, they would be the ideal partner for DL in ACC.

AWA are mostly set up as a point-to-point operator. There would either need to be much higher frequency operations (rather than larger aircraft) or to focus on a banked up type model to really make themselves work in providing long haul connections more efficiently and consistently. However, there are costs to doing that and it probably doesn't make sense given how well they have developed their niche and the high cost base of running a hub in ACC.

ghdc10 wrote:
KQ schedules from Freetown and Monrovia aren't going to be enough to feed the ACC-JFK route for daily flights. Luanda, Douala, Dar es Salaam and Harare are all possible contenders. One would not have to backtrack to Southern Africa to head west!

Do DL and KQ even codeshare on these routes? DL's business is focused on US point of sale and US side connections. They've never had much interest in developing partners in Africa. They focus on the O&D traffic on the African side and make do with small numbers of interline connections.

B747-437B

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:04 pm

evanb wrote:
AWA are mostly set up as a point-to-point operator. There would either need to be much higher frequency operations (rather than larger aircraft) or to focus on a banked up type model to really make themselves work in providing long haul connections more efficiently and consistently. However, there are costs to doing that and it probably doesn't make sense given how well they have developed their niche and the high cost base of running a hub in ACC.

I will disagree with this. If you have followed AWA's network development since the new Terminal 3 in Accra opened in October 2018, you will see a much larger focus on connecting traffic - both within the AWA network itself (viz. domestic connections via Accra, Nigeria to West Coast vv, etc..) as well as as feed to numerous interline and codeshare partners (primarily SAA, but others as well). AWA is overnighting aircraft in Abuja, Abidjan and Lagos in order to create morning feeder flights from these stations to the Accra hub - the first stages of creating a hub bank. In fact, AWA has publicly stated that connecting traffic has grown to as much as 200-300 daily passengers across various routes - a not insignificant number for a West African "hub".

B747-437B

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:36 pm

Africa World Airlines has launched a "Fly Safe, Fly Confident!" public relations campaign to to educate the public about the steps that have been put in place to counter the spread of COVID-19, and to reassure passengers that flying remains the safest mode of transportation.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/ur ... 7512740864

ghdc10

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:10 pm

evanb wrote:
ghdc10 wrote:
The trouble is that West Africans are still going to Europe/North Africa to get to North America.

Why is this troubling? European hubs are more efficient and lower cost. That's how hubs work.

Flying 7 hours to Europe, staying on the ground for 3 hours and flying 8 hours to JFK is not efficient. The direct flight from Accra is 12 hours so even with the same amount of ground time connecting in ACC you would be in the air for a lot less time. Which also means fuel costs and emissions are lower for any connecting destination that is a 4-5 hour flight away. The other factor you ignore is labor cost. ACC hub labor costs are far lower than those in Europe.
http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=lad-ams-jfk,+lad-acc-jfk

evanb

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:12 am

ghdc10 wrote:
Flying 7 hours to Europe, staying on the ground for 3 hours and flying 8 hours to JFK is not efficient. The direct flight from Accra is 12 hours so even with the same amount of ground time connecting in ACC you would be in the air for a lot less time. Which also means fuel costs and emissions are lower for any connecting destination that is a 4-5 hour flight away. The other factor you ignore is labor cost. ACC hub labor costs are far lower than those in Europe.
http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=lad-ams-jfk,+lad-acc-jfk

Firstly, efficiency within the context of hubs isn't only about time. It's measured by the number of connections you can make. Let's take AF/CDG where you have 23 West Africans destinations connecting into 18 North American destinations (that doesn't even include joint venture destinations). That gives you 414 one-stop city pairs. It's the same efficiency that allows Emirates, Ethiopian, etc to thrive as efficient hub carriers even though they add time to trips. Also, they will argue that running efficient hubs results in higher load factors and thus less fuel and emissions per passenger.

When it comes to cost, you can't just look at labour costs, but need to look at total operating costs. From experience, ACC's operating costs are much higher for many airlines than their European hubs, much. Some of this comes from scale, some from rent seeking.
Last edited by evanb on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

evanb

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:18 am

B747-437B wrote:
evanb wrote:

I will disagree with this. If you have followed AWA's network development since the new Terminal 3 in Accra opened in October 2018, you will see a much larger focus on connecting traffic - both within the AWA network itself (viz. domestic connections via Accra, Nigeria to West Coast vv, etc..) as well as as feed to numerous interline and codeshare partners (primarily SAA, but others as well). AWA is overnighting aircraft in Abuja, Abidjan and Lagos in order to create morning feeder flights from these stations to the Accra hub - the first stages of creating a hub bank. In fact, AWA has publicly stated that connecting traffic has grown to as much as 200-300 daily passengers across various routes - a not insignificant number for a West African "hub".

I think you misread what I said. I said AWA are mostly set up as a point-to-point operator. This was their genesis. And yes, there has been more effort to increase frequency and a morning hub bank in ACC, but that is only on a small number of routes, and as you say is more to feed its own network.

Long haul carriers need a large number of feeding destinations to make it work as a long haul hub. At the moment, it only five destinations of which most of the longhaul carriers already service some of them directly.

B747-437B

Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:38 pm

In view of the Government of Ghana travel advisory prohibiting passengers who have been present in any country that has recorded 200 or more cases of COVID-19 during the last 14 days from entering Ghana, Africa World Airlines has revised flight schedules. This new schedule goes into effect from 18MAR20.

Accra to Kumasi vv : 41 weekly flights each way
Accra to Tamale vv : 28 weekly flights each way
Accra to Takoradi vv : 14 weekly flights each way
Accra to Wa (via Tamale) vv : 3 weekly flights each way

Accra to Lagos vv : 16 weekly flights each way
Accra to Abuja vv : 4 weekly flights each way
Accra to Freetown vv : 4 weekly flights each way
Accra to Monrovia vv : 4 weekly flights each way
Accra to Abidjan vv : 3 weekly flights each way
Freetown to Monrovia vv : 2 weekly flights each way

https://www.flyafricaworld.com/media-ce ... -19-alert/

behramjee

Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:36 pm

Update from Air Senegal due to Government rules, flights are suspended to the following destinations:

Paris from March 18 to April 18, 2020

Barcelona from March 15 to April 18, 2020

Marseille from March 18 to April 18, 2020

Casablanca from March 15 to 31, 2020

Nouakchott from March 17 until further notice

Praia from March 18 until further notice

Official announcement:

https://flyairsenegal.com/air-senegal-s ... -cap-vert/

ghdc10

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:36 am

There was a flight from ACC to IAD operated by ET on Mar 23 - departed at about 2AM in the morning. What was this flight for? Ethiopian / Ghana / US government repatriation?

https://www.flightradar24.com/2020-03-23/03:45/120x/ETH8506/24418966

Seems there is another scheduled on Tuesday as well.

berari

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:58 am

ghdc10 wrote:
There was a flight from ACC to IAD operated by ET on Mar 23 - departed at about 2AM in the morning. What was this flight for? Ethiopian / Ghana / US government repatriation?

Was wondering about it. ET is doing charter flights into IAD in addition to the existing daily from ADD. There was one extra flight out of ADD the other day, and one out of JNB just now.

Looking like repatriation flights. I also thought that ET was flying on behalf of SA but doubt it.

soups

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:11 pm

ghdc10 wrote:

It was a repatriation flight. There was also a repatriation flight on Delta
There will be one tomorrow from GERMANY but not sure who/what destination its a A/C that holds 270 seats and currently 252 are filled.
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

soups

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:37 am

ET B777 On route from JNB to SLC via LFW

soups

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:37 am

soups wrote:
ghdc10 wrote:

It was a repatriation flight. There was also a repatriation flight on Delta
There will be one tomorrow from GERMANY but not sure who/what destination its a A/C that holds 270 seats and currently 252 are filled.

Its a Condor 757 flying back to FRA via MLA

AF022

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:21 am

soups wrote:

It would be interesting to track these flights on flightradar. does anyone have these links?

YVRLTN

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 pm

Can somebody advise the registrations with corresponding serials of the Ibom CRJ's please?

I was updating the ex Suncor machines on the planelogger website, but can find no reference anywhere to their registrations or ID's.

I also assume they are still flying? Until the recent global turn of events of events anyway.

Many thanks.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

berari

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:59 pm

AF022 wrote:
soups wrote:

It would be interesting to track these flights on flightradar. does anyone have these links?

I've been tracking them. They are ending up at SLC via IAD. Originating from [ADD], JNB, ACC, LFW. The biggest establishment at SLC is the Mormon Church, so I imagine they are chartering these flights and repatriating their brethren.

B747-437B

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:16 am

YVRLTN wrote:
Can somebody advise the registrations with corresponding serials of the Ibom CRJ's please?

5N-BWK - c/n 15271
5N-BWL - c/n 15158
5N-BWM - c/n 15182

B747-437B

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:31 am

Africa World Airlines flies stranded Ghanaians home amidst COVID-19 restrictions

https://www.gh-aviation.com/11/529/afri ... strictions

ghdc10

Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:16 pm

Anyone know why ET is operated ET921 ACC-DXB B738 on Apr 11? I am guessing a repatriation flight, but on whose behalf? This is the second such flight in a week if I am not mistaken...

Blerg

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:37 pm

ghdc10 wrote:
Anyone know why ET is operated ET921 ACC-DXB B738 on Apr 11? I am guessing a repatriation flight, but on whose behalf? This is the second such flight in a week if I am not mistaken...

My guess is that the government of Ghana chartered a flight to bring its own citizens back. That's a long flight for a B738 though, I assume it's not full on the way back.

ghdc10

Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:32 pm

Blerg wrote:
ghdc10 wrote:

My guess is that the government of Ghana chartered a flight to bring its own citizens back. That's a long flight for a B738 though, I assume it's not full on the way back.

I am Ghanaian, and trust me, our government is likely not doing this for ordinary citizens. Perhaps our diplomats are being evacuated?
Only other possibility is more rescue flights for Arab citizens?

Blerg

Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:59 pm

ghdc10 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
ghdc10 wrote:

I am Ghanaian, and trust me, our government is likely not doing this for ordinary citizens. Perhaps our diplomats are being evacuated?

Or maybe they are repatriating their wealth from Dubai? :D

ghdc10

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:19 pm

Blerg wrote:
ghdc10 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Or maybe they are repatriating their wealth from Dubai? :D

Lol. More likely.

ghdc10

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:25 am

So it seems the ET B738 ACC-DXB continue. B747-437B - do you have any info on what it is for? Dedicated freight conversation could be one reason...

B747-437B

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:35 am

Africa World Airlines will resume limited domestic scheduled flight service with effect from Tuesday 21APR20. AWA will initially operate one daily roundtrip flight each from Accra to Kumasi and Tamale.

These flights will operate with the highest levels of safety protocols, which will include mandatory thermal screening and hand sanitization for all passengers and staff. Furthermore, all passengers will be required to wear their own nose covering (either a face mask or a scarf/cloth covering) during the flight, and will be seated so that no passenger other than a child below 12 years is placed in an adjacent seat. Passengers unable to comply with these requirements will be denied travel.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/africa-w ... 90976-iI_O

AF022

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:07 am

The government of Senegal is throwing a lot of money at Air Senegal. This article (in French), apparently an opinion piece, seems to indicate that the state is going to put more than $72m into Air Senegal. Astounding. How can this be reasonable?
https://yerimpost.com/air-senegal-sa-da ... ir-ndiaye/

Looks like Cabo Verde airlines is really in trouble.
https://www.air-journal.fr/2020-04-27-c ... 19803.html

Delta28L

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:56 am

AF022 wrote:
The government of Senegal is throwing a lot of money at Air Senegal. This article (in French), apparently an opinion piece, seems to indicate that the state is going to put more than $72m into Air Senegal. Astounding. How can this be reasonable?
https://yerimpost.com/air-senegal-sa-da ... ir-ndiaye/

The government has spent a lot of time and money building up Air Senegal and promoting it and don’t want to see it fail like all the other airlines that proceeds Air Senegal. It’s no different from all the other governments bailout/loaning money to airlines to keep the afloat.

Blerg

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:56 pm

But isn't Air Senegal building a hub in Dakar? It takes time and money until they build up enough volume to make their business self-sustaining.

B747-437B

Sat May 02, 2020 2:25 pm

Domestic flights have resumed in Ghana under new industry leading protocols.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/ur ... 7672461312

mapletux

Thu May 07, 2020 1:57 am

Ibom Air has taken delivery of another CRJ-900 to bring its fleet size to 4. See the link to the press release below.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 6687850114

eastafspot

Fri May 22, 2020 5:34 pm

mapletux wrote:
Ibom Air has taken delivery of another CRJ-900 to bring its fleet size to 4. See the link to the press release below.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 6687850114

Are they still operational, during these harsch times?
If yes, good for them but to replace a defunct carrier or to upgrade reliability on domestic routes?

With all these issues, it's hard to keep a track on many West African carriers developpment!

On the other hand, a UK registered plane was impounded too in Nigeria last week or so, any more infos? An obscure airline without rights? An illegal flight with late authorizations?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

eastafspot

Fri May 22, 2020 6:33 pm

Air Senegal "hopes" to resume Spanish and French destinations on the 1st of July.
Obviously, BCN, MRS and CDG should welcome the nifty A339 again.

https://www.air-journal.fr/2020-05-21-a ... 20314.html

It is very surprising since the French Government understated recently that for summer 2020 at least, [u]ONLY[u/] domestic holidays might be eventually allowed...

If anyone has more news from Barcelona (currently, very different from the rest of Spain), please share your insights!

The entire continent is really praying hard that a bunch of innovative airlines like Air Senegal will survive this C-Crisis, many pax were extremely satisfied months into their ops, despite a few teething issues at beginning :smile:
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

AF022

Sun May 24, 2020 9:38 am

I think airlines like Air Senegal are going to have problems. Pre-covid I assume they did well because there wasn't enough competition between CDG and points in far West Africa. Now, instead of too little competition there is too few passengers. What does Air Senegal do that Air France & the small local carriers and Royal Air Maroc don't cover? Flying them was probably a nice alternative to these airlines but passengers could easily just travel on one of these 3 carriers.
And because they are the newest they are the most vulnerable, I would think.

B747-437B

Thu May 28, 2020 12:01 am

Africa World Airlines will resume flights to Takoradi from 28MAY20

https://www.gh-aviation.com/11/535/tako ... n-28th-may

AF022

Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:32 am

I'm wondering how weak airlines are going to re-emerge post-Covid. Airlines that were generating profits will probably recover, but there are lots of airlines in the region which were really struggling before the crisis. Are governments just going to pour more money into operates like Camair?
And the timing for new airlines like Air Senegal is terrible. They probably have a very expensive operation just starting out. I guess the government will do what it takes to support them.

mapletux

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:54 pm

Nigeria College of Aviation Technology to receive Boeing 737 Full Flight Simulator.

Details available here

https://www.transportday.com.ng/boeing- ... -aviation/

B747-437B

Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:03 pm

Africa World Airlines, in partnership with the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Itamaraty) and Azul Linhas Aéreas Brasileiras, have put together and implemented a complex logistical project to repatriate 130 Brazilians from seven countries in West Africa. AWA operated multiple simultaneous special charter flights to bring passengers from Dakar, Bissau, Ouagadougou and Lagos into Accra, from where Azul carried them onwards to Recife and Campinas.

https://www.embraercommercialaviation.c ... razilians/
https://twitter.com/ItamaratyGovBr/stat ... 5485170688

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos