Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RL757PVD

Re: The Rest of New England Aviation Thread (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) - 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:39 pm

We shall see if it ultimately comes to pass, but in the B6 schedule extension, PVD-FLL finally goes to 2x (seasonally) for a total of 5 daily, and as an added bonus, the PBI flight is showing as an A321. Lets hope demand rebounds enough to see this through...
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

lat41

Re: The Rest of New England Aviation Thread (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) - 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:07 pm

PVD523 wrote:
A small distraction from everything that's going on but PVD posted January passenger numbers: https://www.pvdairport.com/documents/passenger-numbers/2020/PassengerStatsJanuary2020.pdf

Combined numbers for AA, DL and UA: AA up 1% (69,962 vs 69,333), DL up 2.7% (30,803 vs 29,987) and UA up 8.7% (17,960 vs 16,518). Overall, total PAX count up 2.8% (275,632 vs 268,268). It's a bummer the positive numbers won't last long.

The overall and individual totals are encouraging especially given Southwest's shriveling up their overall New England business certainly including PVD. Remarkably the BOS operation that sucked some of the capacity from PVD and MHT in the last few years, was really sliding, long before the Covid-19 onslaught.

PVD523

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:27 pm

B6 has suspended PVD operations through June 11 as they take advantage of the language in the CARES Act regarding service obligation. Ops will be consolidated in BOS during this time.

LotsaRunway

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:27 pm

PVD523 wrote:
B6 has suspended PVD operations through June 11 as they take advantage of the language in the CARES Act regarding service obligation. Ops will be consolidated in BOS during this time.

Big question for PVD and MHT is will other airlines follow suit and how long will it take to get them back, if ever? This could be an even stronger punch to the gut for regional airports. I could see UA jumping on this, AA and WN not so much. DL? who knows.

RL757PVD

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:58 pm

This affects a lot of airports and my guess is anything beyond temporary or if it gets abused will be met with swift political action, airports like BWI, IAD, OAK, SJC, ISP, SWF, ONT, SNA, BUR, LGB, FLL. B6 is temporarily suspending most of those with the obvious exception of FLL.

Each AA, DL, UA DL and B6 were all adding additional seat capacity before this, and on top of that there are two fully funded start ups that will be looking and positioning where there is opportunity so I don't think any of them are that short sighted.

On the flip side, when this is over, PVD can use this judgement as ammo to become a co-terminal with BOS which is something the airline have previously fought. You can't have it both ways.

tomaheath

Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:39 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
This affects a lot of airports and my guess is anything beyond temporary or if it gets abused will be met with swift political action, airports like BWI, IAD, OAK, SJC, ISP, SWF, ONT, SNA, BUR, LGB, FLL. B6 is temporarily suspending most of those with the obvious exception of FLL.

Each AA, DL, UA DL and B6 were all adding additional seat capacity before this, and on top of that there are two fully funded start ups that will be looking and positioning where there is opportunity so I don't think any of them are that short sighted.

On the flip side, when this is over, PVD can use this judgement as ammo to become a co-terminal with BOS which is something the airline have previously fought. You can't have it both ways.

Can you explain to me by what you mean by a “co-terminal”.

RL757PVD

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:06 pm

tomaheath wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

Can you explain to me by what you mean by a “co-terminal”.

Means in Any IATA search engine the other airports show up so If someone types in "Boston" then PVD would show up too, Same way how wen someone types in "New York" that EWR will show up as an option. Airports like OAK have tried unsuccessfully to become a co-terminal for SFO but the airlines at SFO fight it, but now with this interpretation, it becomes a strong case for not being able to have it both ways.

LotsaRunway

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:07 pm

RL757PVD wrote:

So it looks like B6 is choosing to suspend service at LGA, HPN, SWF, BWI, PVD, BUR, ONT, and SJC from April 15 through June 10. I find it really curious that they chose to suspend PVD and keep ORH active. I would think that would be an easy hall pass for B6, but I guess it shows the power MassPort.

tphuang

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:15 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

So it looks like B6 is choosing to suspend service at LGA, HPN, SWF, BWI, PVD, BUR, ONT, and SJC from April 15 through June 10. I find it really curious that they chose to suspend PVD and keep ORH active. I would think that would be an easy hall pass for B6, but I guess it shows the power MassPort.

they are trying to suspend ORH service also, but it's not listed as a Boston area airport. So they would need an exemption from DOT.

RL757PVD

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:08 pm

ORH did not have service when they grouped PVD and MHT with BOS, so its kind of a technicality.

LotsaRunway

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:11 pm

tphuang wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

they are trying to suspend ORH service also, but it's not listed as a Boston area airport. So they would need an exemption from DOT.

ORH is not considered a Boston area airport? Isn't it closer to Boston than either PVD or MHT? I guess since SWF is considered a NYC area airport, then distance is only a quasi-factor.

RL757PVD

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:22 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
tphuang wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

ORH is not considered a Boston area airport? Isn't it closer to Boston than either PVD or MHT? I guess since SWF is considered a NYC area airport, then distance is only a quasi-factor.

Its because ORH did not have service when these airports were grouped, it was a general aviation airport at the time.

bomber996

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Does anyone have a compilation of the routes currently scheduled to fly out of each of the above listed airports? Just how much of a cut are we looking at?

Peace :box:
"We've recently upped our standards, so up yours." - Federal Aviation Administration

FGITD

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:42 pm

Question for you all with more knowledge on these airports than myself. I work at BOS, fly from BOS, etc etc, so I'm not well versed in the region's other airports.

I realize this is all just hypothesizing for now given the uncertainty regarding everything, but where do you see the future going for the likes of PVD, MHT, etc? The airports with strong BOS overlap.

I ask because of course Logan will bounce back. Not to where we were last year, obviously. But being the biggest in the region has that benefit that it'll still be top choice when services can slowly resume. Not to mention of course, having had the most service previously, it's easier to restart quicker.

But where does that leave the rest? I think PVD especially has done a fantastic job of attracting service, improving infrastructure, and becoming a truly viable secondary airport for the area, and it would just be a shame to see it (and the others) fizzle away in the background for awhile.

bacchus101

Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:21 pm

United announces it will now fly to and from Washington-Dulles International Airport

https://www.wagmtv.com/content/news/Uni ... 17461.html

I assume they are going to get paid the same for the agreed-upon EAS route from PQI to EWR but instead fly 50% further to IAD? Any ideas as to what would cause United to make this change?

uconn99

Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:23 am

Here is a breakdown of departures for yesterday, Wednesday April 8th.

BDL-

Mainline / Regional

AA- 5/4
DL- 2/2
B6- 6
WN- 10
UA- 2/2

Total Flights- 33

PVD-

AA- 2/6
DL- 1/2
B6- 1
WN- 9
UA- 0/2

Total Flights- 23

MHT-

AA- 0/6
DL- 0/2
WN- 5
UA- 0/3

Total Flights- 16

PWM-

AA- 1/6
DL- 0/1
WN- 2
UA- 0/2

Total Flights- 12

BTV-

AA- 0/7
DL- 0/2
UA- 0/1

Total Flights- 10

Google sheets-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

MO11

Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:21 am

bacchus101 wrote:
Any ideas as to what would cause United to make this change?

Because EWR is being reduced to 15 departures/day serving 9 destinations.

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:18 am

I came into PWM on the late evening Southwest flight the other day. We originated in DEN with 19 people. Stopped at BWI and continued to PWM on same plane with seven passengers.

ChrisNH38

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:28 pm

FedEx will be flying an MD-11 from Anchorage to Manchester, likely full of COVID-19 masks, this Sunday. After offloading it will head down to MEM. This is being arranged for by inventor Dean Kamen, who’s good friends with FE’s Smith. Flight number is 9731.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

tomaheath

Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:46 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
FedEx will be flying an MD-11 from Anchorage to Manchester, likely full of COVID-19 masks, this Sunday. After offloading it will head down to MEM. This is being arranged for by inventor Dean Kamen, who’s good friends with FE’s Smith. Flight number is 9731.

I was just thinking the other day about Mr. Kamen and was wondering if he was going to do something for the state I guess this answers my question.

Fex180

Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:11 pm

Looks like F9 is suspending all of its PWM routes through July.

Blueknows

Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:28 pm

April 15 to June 10, DOT filing B6 requesting temporarily halt service to 12 airports

PVD523

Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:51 am

Fex180 wrote:
Looks like F9 is suspending all of its PWM routes through July.

F9 is suspending PVD too, through May 6 for now. I'm betting that will be extended through at least the beginning of June.

AC's seasonal return has been pushed back to July 1.

SY's MSP service is due to return May 22. G4's CVG service is due to return June 5, with MYR service due to begin the same day. We'll see if these dates hold up

tomaheath

Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:52 pm

A interesting visitor to Manchester this morning. http://www.boeing.com/features/2020/04/ ... 0q0lyc3jMY

PVD523

Fri May 01, 2020 8:50 am

UA is suspending PVD operations effective May 3 through July 6. B6 has extended its suspension through July 1.

Pretty sad to see the dominoes starting to fall. I have a bad feeling DL is next but I'm crossing my fingers I'm wrong.

F27500

Fri May 01, 2020 1:28 pm

I hate to think what this means for New Haven (HVN). I show us down to just one AA Eagle flight now HVN-PHL in EMB175. June shows back up to 2 per day, but Im not sure if thats just because they haven't finalized June yet. We are just one flight away from being another Groton or Bridgeport .. airports with no air service.

HVN finally got on the right track and was on the upswing before this mess started. Those awful old Dash 8-100s went away and we went quickly from CRJ-100 to CRJ700s and then EMB175. Business was here. I hope it all comes back. For everyone, of course.

RL757PVD

Sat May 02, 2020 8:17 pm

There is absolutely zero demand right now. So any suspension really only helps WN and AA which are both still offering a somewhat usable schedule if you have to fly.

PVD might actually be lucky in this is that they have been aggressively cutting costs over the past two years to become more competitive with Boston. Boston does not have the ability to consolidate terminal operations and is still moving forward on $1 Billion in improvements so it will be interesting to see the airport cost environment this time next year.

airlineworker

Sun May 03, 2020 12:57 am

F27500 wrote:
I hate to think what this means for New Haven (HVN). I show us down to just one AA Eagle flight now HVN-PHL in EMB175. June shows back up to 2 per day, but Im not sure if thats just because they haven't finalized June yet. We are just one flight away from being another Groton or Bridgeport .. airports with no air service.

HVN finally got on the right track and was on the upswing before this mess started. Those awful old Dash 8-100s went away and we went quickly from CRJ-100 to CRJ700s and then EMB175. Business was here. I hope it all comes back. For everyone, of course.

HVN is not alone, AA has PHL-BDL down to 5 days a week, many on ERJ-145s. HVN also lost the CLT flight, sad too because the loads on that flight were good. Its being reported that TSA is seeing an increase in passengers, hopefully HVN will bounce back and Allegiant has said they would start service with the present runway. Still the virus is flaring up in some places, so its anybodies guess as to when passengers will return in large numbers.

jsteeves3

Mon May 04, 2020 10:58 pm

On a positive note I see SY has added service to MCO for the winter. Looks like 1x week with a Thurday departure and Sunday arrival. Must be rotating it on the MSP flights as well. Although happy for the service, SY is a weird airline... once a week seasonally? Give me a break...

Fex180

Wed May 06, 2020 2:20 am

jsteeves3 wrote:
On a positive note I see SY has added service to MCO for the winter. Looks like 1x week with a Thurday departure and Sunday arrival. Must be rotating it on the MSP flights as well. Although happy for the service, SY is a weird airline... once a week seasonally? Give me a break...

From where? PVD? PWM? BOS?

jsteeves3

Wed May 06, 2020 2:50 am

PVD, sorry for not stating clearly

pwm2txlhopper

Thu May 07, 2020 2:12 pm

Kind of odd flight enroute to PWM. Thought it was a Flightaware glitch until it got airborne.

Anybody at PWM know the reason for this one?

Frontier 1049. PHL-PWM-PHL

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT ... /KPHL/KPWM

slcdeltarumd11

Thu May 07, 2020 5:51 pm

They are doing alot of these odd routes to keep serving the cities as required for federal funding. They are required to serve the cities but can change routing.

We have seen spirit doing florida-niagra-pkattsburgh-florida for triangle routes. JetBlue was doing long beach-Slc-bozeman.
My guess would be frontier did something like that.

RL757PVD

Thu May 07, 2020 5:55 pm

Im guessing its something like PWM-PHL MCO, replacing PWM-MCO and combining it with a PHL-MCO

pwm2txlhopper

Thu May 07, 2020 6:18 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
Im guessing its something like PWM-PHL MCO, replacing PWM-MCO and combining it with a PHL-MCO

It was N370FR, originated at MCO. Then to PHL-PWM. But Frontier suspended flights to PWM. It’s been at least a week or two since a flight has come in.

RL757PVD

Thu May 07, 2020 7:13 pm

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

It was N370FR, originated at MCO. Then to PHL-PWM. But Frontier suspended flights to PWM. It’s been at least a week or two since a flight has come in.

If they took cared money then they are not allowed to suspend PWM. They must provide between 1 and 5 weekly frequencies to any destination based on what was previously in the schedule, so mnay airlines are doing tag on routes

MO11

Thu May 07, 2020 8:39 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

If they took cared money then they are not allowed to suspend PWM. They must provide between 1 and 5 weekly frequencies to any destination based on what was previously in the schedule, so mnay airlines are doing tag on routes

Nonstop PWM-MCO service resumes May 21. Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday.

mjgbtv

Thu May 07, 2020 10:51 pm

MO11 wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:

F9 flew a DEN-BTV-DEN route a week or two ago, but nothing since. Flightaware is showing a MCO-BTV-MCO tomorrow, though. This is around the time they switch from MCO to DEN, but I don't believe they were scheduled to overlap so it is odd that they are alternating.

HVNandrew

Fri May 08, 2020 12:57 am

RL757PVD wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

I think that is the general rule, but there are exceptions. I read an article today that 9K was granted an exemption so that they could drop their service to JFK because the airport would nonetheless remain very well served. I believe there are other case-by-case exemptions out there as well (I think B6 got quite a few).

pwm2txlhopper

Sat May 09, 2020 1:21 pm

Frontier PHL-PWM-PHL running again tomorrow.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT ... /KPWM/KPHL

umichman

Sat May 09, 2020 1:35 pm

PVD523 wrote:
UA is suspending PVD operations effective May 3 through July 6. B6 has extended its suspension through July 1.

Pretty sad to see the dominoes starting to fall. I have a bad feeling DL is next but I'm crossing my fingers I'm wrong.

DL is suspending both MHT and PVD operations on May 13th (along with a number of other stations) -- https://news.delta.com/delta-temporaril ... -us-metros
They are considered part of BOS BTS metropolitan area and under CARES Show Cause Order and do not require DOT approval for suspension. DL stated suspensions will last at least until September.
DL has also filed to suspend HHH, LAN, PIH, PIA, AZO, BQK, ORH, MEL, and FNT which require DOT approval.

pwm2txlhopper

Sun May 10, 2020 1:50 am

Looking at the summer schedule, it looks like DL PWM-ATL will go to A319’s. Not sure when they plan to resume flights? As it’s been about three or four weeks since we’ve had an ATL flight and, there is nothing showing bookable non-stop until close to July when I was playing around with dummy bookings.

PWM-ATL has been almost exclusively MD-88s since 1998, when service started non-stop to ATL. (Previously, you had to go direct on PWM-ALB-ATL). Only in the last two years have MD-90s replaced them. (And A320 for one summer about six years ago) Will miss the classic MD’s here. -319 to ATL isn’t be the same.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun May 10, 2020 2:59 am

mjgbtv wrote:
MO11 wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

F9 flew a DEN-BTV-DEN route a week or two ago, but nothing since. Flightaware is showing a MCO-BTV-MCO tomorrow, though. This is around the time they switch from MCO to DEN, but I don't believe they were scheduled to overlap so it is odd that they are alternating.

Maybe with so few passengers out there they are trying to grab some demand? I think that might allow them to sell a few extra tickets as theres only so much demand to Denver right now and its more flight hours(cost). People want N/S to limit exposure so if i had to visit my grandmother in Orlando or had some emergency i needed to get Denver i would probably wait for the N/S even one direction i would choose my dates to be on a N/S if i had to fly these days(which i am not). Most people are very date flexible right now with empty schedules and alot working from home. The unfortunate people who do have to step on a plane want N/S and it only makes sense to limit exposure, i think more than anytime ever a good amount of people have extreme flexibility on dates.

Blueknows

Sun May 10, 2020 7:06 am

No ones really flying period. B6 was granted exemption to 16 cities and have had mayors from 4 cities sign letter to DOT, stating they could temporarily cancel service. B6 all ready announce revenue for may NET 0.

RL757PVD

Sun May 10, 2020 3:25 pm

Just to put things in perspective... DL will have only 15 daily flights at BOS in June

pwm2txlhopper

Sat May 16, 2020 2:20 am

After 40 years observing PWM traffic, this is the first time I’ve seen a heavy departure off the secondary RWY 36/18.

Just wanted to share to the locals reading this thread.

Jetport

Sat May 16, 2020 5:01 am

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
After 40 years observing PWM traffic, this is the first time I’ve seen a heavy departure off the secondary RWY 36/18.

Very interesting and surprising, I assume 11/29 was closed or wind was very strong out of the North? I think I actually heard this flight go over Gorham after it turned back south.

I landed on 36 once in a 737 when 11/29 was closed, but I can count on my hands the times I have landed on 18/36 even in RJ's and turboprops. I took off only once on 18, I think in a B1900D.

pwm2txlhopper

Sat May 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Jetport wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:

Very interesting and surprising, I assume 11/29 was closed or wind was very strong out of the North? I think I actually heard this flight go over Gorham after it turned back south.

I landed on 36 once in a 737 when 11/29 was closed, but I can count on my hands the times I have landed on 18/36 even in RJ's and turboprops. I took off only once on 18, I think in a B1900D.

I’ve seen mainline aircraft use the secondary runway plenty of times when there’s a strong North or South wind, just not anything heavy. Never even seen the 757 use it, either. They are utilizing it more now since they extended it a few years ago.

Fex180

Thu May 21, 2020 4:26 pm

I noticed that FedEx is pretty much exclusively using the A300 for MEM-PWM now. Anyone know the reason for this upgauge?

LotsaRunway

Fri May 29, 2020 1:30 am

WN schedule extension for BOS, PVD and MHT is pretty thin. There are periods where PVD-FLL/TPA and MHT-TPA are not run daily. MHT/PVD-MDW are both single daily and BWI is 5 daily for both. BOS has no DAL/HOU/IND/CMH/MKE/ATL but it still runs BNA x4 daily which amazes me. What else does WN have from BOS? 8x BWI, 2x DEN, 3x STL and 5x MDW.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos