Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Wacko55
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:33 pm

Western727 wrote:
I continue to eagerly await 2019's full-year figures at KAUS.

Last year it was released on Feb. 7: http://www.austintexas.gov/news/record- ... ns-brisket


http://www.austintexas.gov/news/new-rec ... -bergstrom

Total passenger traffic for December 2019 was 1,471,053 up 16.5% compared to December 2018

Total passenger traffic for January – December 2019 was 17,343,729 up 9.6%, compared to January – December 2018

Delta continues to increase its' market presence.

Compared to December 2018 for December 2019 Delta Air Lines passengers totaled 200,023, up 23.4 %

Delta Air Lines passengers totaled 2,362,284, up 12.5% for 2019.
 
malev2012
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:47 pm

Those are some big numbers internationally 300,000 TATL passengers between BA, LH, and DI!
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE
 
Wacko55
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:21 am

malev2012 wrote:
Those are some big numbers internationally 300,000 TATL passengers between BA, LH, and DI!


Pretty decent TATL numbers. Will be interesting to see the totals for 2020 with a full year of LH plus KLM to AMS and DI to CDG. AUS had 530,387 international passengers for 2019 an increase of 21.37% compared to 2018.
 
malev2012
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:22 am

Wacko55 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
Those are some big numbers internationally 300,000 TATL passengers between BA, LH, and DI!


Pretty decent TATL numbers. Will be interesting to see the totals for 2020 with a full year of LH plus KLM to AMS and DI to CDG. AUS had 530,387 international passengers for 2019 an increase of 21.37% compared to 2018.

Don't leave out the added frequency to LGW on DI, SJD on AA and CUN on NK to add to the numbers. Not out of the question to push 750k. As more people go directly to Mexican destinations than connections via IAH/DFW.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE
 
freerover
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:48 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:40 pm

llintner wrote:
freerover wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Thanks, freerover, for the awesome update. Question about the East Terminal Apron expansion finishing next month...what's left? I couldn't tell that there was anything left to complete the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. TIA.


In terms of the actual building, only minor roof work is left. There is also the 2nd phase of the concrete Apron Expansion around the extension. I'm not sure which areas that is.


Also, these are the 2040 master plan projects that are officially underway:
-New Taxiway Foxtrot parallel to the west runway with rapid exit taxiways
-New Braided entrance/exit to Airport at 71 eliminating the traffic light
-Midfield Taxiway Realignment of Hotel and Juliet to make room for new center concourse
-Landside Roadway and Curbside Study which is 1st step of new terminal triple level Pres. Blvd curbside roadway.


Only concrete work left is the area between TWY G3 and TWY C. First three lanes needed to get C1 (formerly R) open to TWY C were paved last week, but rain this week has slowed progress. Next two placements are tomorrow and Saturday. Likely opening mid March. The remainder needed to get C2 open to C should be done late next month. There is one more short closure of TWY G3 required when that work is finished.

As far as the CIP, saw the post yesterday right about the same time the steering committee was adjourning. Fairly large group had just finished discussions on the prioritization of Airside and Landside projects. Same dialogue on Terminal related projects is set for early next week.


Thanks for that! Do you have any idea how a possible West Infill fits into the port future? It seems to be in visual renderings but the only mention on the preliminary phase schedule is something called "West Infill-Temp Ground Load". West infill seems like something great to have asap but not necessary when the new terminal building is open.
 
KAUSavgeek
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:55 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:12 am

Any word on DL's movements here?
 
freerover
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:48 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:46 pm

We got a good update on what the first CIP of the new master plan will be on SSP from poster Mikey.

Mikey711MN;8838997 wrote:

- braided intersection of SH 71 / Presidential Blvd is currently in design
- 4-gate western extension + in-fill project in the works to enable the loss of at least that many gates for future midfield concourse, which leads me to...
- tunnel now planned to connect BJT (near Gate 19 or so) to midfield concourse, i.e. no bridge as shown in previous renderings
- targeting 2025-2026 opening of 20 gate concourse; planned apron & taxiways to accommodate potential third parallel concourse beyond 2040
- improvements to existing BJT headhouse to accommodate ticketing/check-in/baggage services for capacity before tearing down current close-in garage for eventually expanded facility
- expanded BJT will be constructed as tangent to newly aligned two-level roadway for future growth to avoid need for new southern terminal through the 2040 planning period
- Taxiway D design & construction within next decade for operational improvements to 17R/35L, i.e. high-speed exits
Image

4-Gate Western Expansion + security area infill:

Image

BJT Expansion with newly aligned (curved) roadway:

Image

Taxiway D:

Image



Some of my takeaways about changes from the initial master plan:

-I'm betting the new ABIA boss made the call to go with the tunnel instead of bridge to connect BJ and the new concourse but hopefully she listens to the concerns of the staff that has had problems digging on the property in the past
-it'll be nice the south terminal has its own taxiway to both runways while heavy construction is going on in the center.
-It makes sense to start with the west half of the new center concourse since there is more room on the west side due to the new deicing facility on the east side
-Looks like the new road connection will just be 2 levels instead of having a 3rd for pedestrian crossing and instead there will be a massive arc bridge for pedestrian crossings
-I'm sure it'll be nice for the planes in the back of the east terminal extension to have the new corner connection (new Golf1 I'm Guessing) to the east runway taxiway.
-Interesting that the new terminal processing building will be more integrated to the BJ terminal. I wonder what the construction plan is. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st phase of the processing building is more separate and the integration project comes after it opens.

Some thoughts on Mikey's schedule notes:

-It helps solve the question of, "how the hell can they aford all this?" It'll be interesting to see how they design the west infill. I'm betting it is more rectangular to fill the space to make more room for check in without taking away space for security.
-I wonder if they can manage to get the new west taxiway Foxtrot ready to build at the same time they close the west runway for maintenance/upgrades and renumbering. Seems like it would be hard to build the taxiway next to an active runway. I assume all the quick exits in the new taxiway increases the amount of operations the runways can handle per hour?
-Would it be crazy to cut and cap the tunnel? You would have to probably get the scheduling right so you finish the south half of the cap with the new apron so you could cut and cap the north half.


Reminder about TxDOT work drastically changing how cars get to airport:
-The new entrance system for the port is going to be really great. Now all airport traffic on WB 71 will exit before 183, take a bridge over 183, and take a new bridge over Spirt of Texas to get to the new braided Presidential Blvd which will eliminate the traffic light for everyone. The new 183 SB to 71 EB direct ramp will have an exit built onto it for airport traffic as well to the new EB frontage roads and a new ramp from 183 NB to the new frontage as well as a ramp to the WB mainlanes. Basically, it get airport bound cars off the highway before 183 traffic joins the 71 mainlanes. Just smart highway design.
 
Western727
Posts: 1785
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:37 pm

freerover wrote:
We got a good update on what the first CIP of the new master plan will be on SSP from poster Mikey.

Mikey711MN;8838997 wrote:

- braided intersection of SH 71 / Presidential Blvd is currently in design
- 4-gate western extension + in-fill project in the works to enable the loss of at least that many gates for future midfield concourse, which leads me to...
- tunnel now planned to connect BJT (near Gate 19 or so) to midfield concourse, i.e. no bridge as shown in previous renderings
- targeting 2025-2026 opening of 20 gate concourse; planned apron & taxiways to accommodate potential third parallel concourse beyond 2040
- improvements to existing BJT headhouse to accommodate ticketing/check-in/baggage services for capacity before tearing down current close-in garage for eventually expanded facility
- expanded BJT will be constructed as tangent to newly aligned two-level roadway for future growth to avoid need for new southern terminal through the 2040 planning period
- Taxiway D design & construction within next decade for operational improvements to 17R/35L, i.e. high-speed exits
Image

4-Gate Western Expansion + security area infill:

Image

BJT Expansion with newly aligned (curved) roadway:

Image

Taxiway D:

Image



Some of my takeaways about changes from the initial master plan:

-I'm betting the new ABIA boss made the call to go with the tunnel instead of bridge to connect BJ and the new concourse but hopefully she listens to the concerns of the staff that has had problems digging on the property in the past
-it'll be nice the south terminal has its own taxiway to both runways while heavy construction is going on in the center.
-It makes sense to start with the west half of the new center concourse since there is more room on the west side due to the new deicing facility on the east side
-Looks like the new road connection will just be 2 levels instead of having a 3rd for pedestrian crossing and instead there will be a massive arc bridge for pedestrian crossings
-I'm sure it'll be nice for the planes in the back of the east terminal extension to have the new corner connection (new Golf1 I'm Guessing) to the east runway taxiway.
-Interesting that the new terminal processing building will be more integrated to the BJ terminal. I wonder what the construction plan is. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st phase of the processing building is more separate and the integration project comes after it opens.

Some thoughts on Mikey's schedule notes:

-It helps solve the question of, "how the hell can they aford all this?" It'll be interesting to see how they design the west infill. I'm betting it is more rectangular to fill the space to make more room for check in without taking away space for security.
-I wonder if they can manage to get the new west taxiway Foxtrot ready to build at the same time they close the west runway for maintenance/upgrades and renumbering. Seems like it would be hard to build the taxiway next to an active runway. I assume all the quick exits in the new taxiway increases the amount of operations the runways can handle per hour?
-Would it be crazy to cut and cap the tunnel? You would have to probably get the scheduling right so you finish the south half of the cap with the new apron so you could cut and cap the north half.

Reminder about TxDOT work


I'm surprised about the tunnel, given the fact that it's a water table prone to flooding. And let's not forget the airport's closure a few years ago of a day (or two?) due to the tower's first floor getting flooded. Granted, the electrical connections were elevated thereafter, but my point remains that the tunnel idea seems ill-advised. What changed these plans?

Totally agree on the east extension's access to the eastern rwy. A taxiway is sorely needed in that corner.

As well, I agree on the TxDOT work. What's proposed makes a lot of sense to me as an Austin resident and occasional AUS user (via the airlines only, and only as a traveler; I do GA piloting elsewhere). Of course, time will tell how well the planned improvements stand the test of Austin's explosive growth.
Jack @ AUS
 
freerover
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:48 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:50 pm

Western727 wrote:
freerover wrote:
We got a good update on what the first CIP of the new master plan will be on SSP from poster Mikey.

Mikey711MN;8838997 wrote:

- braided intersection of SH 71 / Presidential Blvd is currently in design
- 4-gate western extension + in-fill project in the works to enable the loss of at least that many gates for future midfield concourse, which leads me to...
- tunnel now planned to connect BJT (near Gate 19 or so) to midfield concourse, i.e. no bridge as shown in previous renderings
- targeting 2025-2026 opening of 20 gate concourse; planned apron & taxiways to accommodate potential third parallel concourse beyond 2040
- improvements to existing BJT headhouse to accommodate ticketing/check-in/baggage services for capacity before tearing down current close-in garage for eventually expanded facility
- expanded BJT will be constructed as tangent to newly aligned two-level roadway for future growth to avoid need for new southern terminal through the 2040 planning period
- Taxiway D design & construction within next decade for operational improvements to 17R/35L, i.e. high-speed exits
Image

4-Gate Western Expansion + security area infill:

Image

BJT Expansion with newly aligned (curved) roadway:

Image

Taxiway D:

Image



Some of my takeaways about changes from the initial master plan:

-I'm betting the new ABIA boss made the call to go with the tunnel instead of bridge to connect BJ and the new concourse but hopefully she listens to the concerns of the staff that has had problems digging on the property in the past
-it'll be nice the south terminal has its own taxiway to both runways while heavy construction is going on in the center.
-It makes sense to start with the west half of the new center concourse since there is more room on the west side due to the new deicing facility on the east side
-Looks like the new road connection will just be 2 levels instead of having a 3rd for pedestrian crossing and instead there will be a massive arc bridge for pedestrian crossings
-I'm sure it'll be nice for the planes in the back of the east terminal extension to have the new corner connection (new Golf1 I'm Guessing) to the east runway taxiway.
-Interesting that the new terminal processing building will be more integrated to the BJ terminal. I wonder what the construction plan is. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st phase of the processing building is more separate and the integration project comes after it opens.

Some thoughts on Mikey's schedule notes:

-It helps solve the question of, "how the hell can they aford all this?" It'll be interesting to see how they design the west infill. I'm betting it is more rectangular to fill the space to make more room for check in without taking away space for security.
-I wonder if they can manage to get the new west taxiway Foxtrot ready to build at the same time they close the west runway for maintenance/upgrades and renumbering. Seems like it would be hard to build the taxiway next to an active runway. I assume all the quick exits in the new taxiway increases the amount of operations the runways can handle per hour?
-Would it be crazy to cut and cap the tunnel? You would have to probably get the scheduling right so you finish the south half of the cap with the new apron so you could cut and cap the north half.

Reminder about TxDOT work


I'm surprised about the tunnel, given the fact that it's a water table prone to flooding. And let's not forget the airport's closure a few years ago of a day (or two?) due to the tower's first floor getting flooded. Granted, the electrical connections were elevated thereafter, but my point remains that the tunnel idea seems ill-advised. What changed these plans?

Totally agree on the east extension's access to the eastern rwy. A taxiway is sorely needed in that corner.

As well, I agree on the TxDOT work. What's proposed makes a lot of sense to me as an Austin resident and occasional AUS user (via the airlines only, and only as a traveler; I do GA piloting elsewhere). Of course, time will tell how well the planned improvements stand the test of Austin's explosive growth.



My guess is the new head of the port made the call. She hinted at it an ab ABJ interview a couple months ago. She comes from Denver and they have the same style of parallel concourses connected by tunnels. If it turns into a construction or operational nightmare then there might be a lot of "I told you sos".

The TxDot work is going to be really great for EB 71 traffic but not that great for 71 WB traffic. Still going to have a lot of merging.
 
llintner
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:21 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:10 pm

freerover wrote:
Western727 wrote:
freerover wrote:
We got a good update on what the first CIP of the new master plan will be on SSP from poster Mikey.




Some of my takeaways about changes from the initial master plan:

-I'm betting the new ABIA boss made the call to go with the tunnel instead of bridge to connect BJ and the new concourse but hopefully she listens to the concerns of the staff that has had problems digging on the property in the past
-it'll be nice the south terminal has its own taxiway to both runways while heavy construction is going on in the center.
-It makes sense to start with the west half of the new center concourse since there is more room on the west side due to the new deicing facility on the east side
-Looks like the new road connection will just be 2 levels instead of having a 3rd for pedestrian crossing and instead there will be a massive arc bridge for pedestrian crossings
-I'm sure it'll be nice for the planes in the back of the east terminal extension to have the new corner connection (new Golf1 I'm Guessing) to the east runway taxiway.
-Interesting that the new terminal processing building will be more integrated to the BJ terminal. I wonder what the construction plan is. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st phase of the processing building is more separate and the integration project comes after it opens.

Some thoughts on Mikey's schedule notes:

-It helps solve the question of, "how the hell can they aford all this?" It'll be interesting to see how they design the west infill. I'm betting it is more rectangular to fill the space to make more room for check in without taking away space for security.
-I wonder if they can manage to get the new west taxiway Foxtrot ready to build at the same time they close the west runway for maintenance/upgrades and renumbering. Seems like it would be hard to build the taxiway next to an active runway. I assume all the quick exits in the new taxiway increases the amount of operations the runways can handle per hour?
-Would it be crazy to cut and cap the tunnel? You would have to probably get the scheduling right so you finish the south half of the cap with the new apron so you could cut and cap the north half.

Reminder about TxDOT work


I'm surprised about the tunnel, given the fact that it's a water table prone to flooding. And let's not forget the airport's closure a few years ago of a day (or two?) due to the tower's first floor getting flooded. Granted, the electrical connections were elevated thereafter, but my point remains that the tunnel idea seems ill-advised. What changed these plans?

Totally agree on the east extension's access to the eastern rwy. A taxiway is sorely needed in that corner.

As well, I agree on the TxDOT work. What's proposed makes a lot of sense to me as an Austin resident and occasional AUS user (via the airlines only, and only as a traveler; I do GA piloting elsewhere). Of course, time will tell how well the planned improvements stand the test of Austin's explosive growth.



My guess is the new head of the port made the call. She hinted at it an ab ABJ interview a couple months ago. She comes from Denver and they have the same style of parallel concourses connected by tunnels. If it turns into a construction or operational nightmare then there might be a lot of "I told you sos".

The TxDot work is going to be really great for EB 71 traffic but not that great for 71 WB traffic. Still going to have a lot of merging.


There were about 30 people in the room when the discussions about the possible options were held. The consultants provided several possibilities, staff discussed/evaluated each choice, and ultimately a preferred option was selected.
 
tkoenig95
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:32 am

On January 30 UA activated their AUS inflight satellite base. Being overseen by the IAH staff, this gives flight attendants more flexibility over their schedules and other positives. The company looks to open a total of seven satellite bases in the coming year. Cheers to the senior mamas who likely filled the base as soon as vacancies opened!
 
freerover
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:48 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:46 am

llintner wrote:
freerover wrote:
Western727 wrote:

I'm surprised about the tunnel, given the fact that it's a water table prone to flooding. And let's not forget the airport's closure a few years ago of a day (or two?) due to the tower's first floor getting flooded. Granted, the electrical connections were elevated thereafter, but my point remains that the tunnel idea seems ill-advised. What changed these plans?

Totally agree on the east extension's access to the eastern rwy. A taxiway is sorely needed in that corner.

As well, I agree on the TxDOT work. What's proposed makes a lot of sense to me as an Austin resident and occasional AUS user (via the airlines only, and only as a traveler; I do GA piloting elsewhere). Of course, time will tell how well the planned improvements stand the test of Austin's explosive growth.



My guess is the new head of the port made the call. She hinted at it an ab ABJ interview a couple months ago. She comes from Denver and they have the same style of parallel concourses connected by tunnels. If it turns into a construction or operational nightmare then there might be a lot of "I told you sos".

The TxDot work is going to be really great for EB 71 traffic but not that great for 71 WB traffic. Still going to have a lot of merging.


There were about 30 people in the room when the discussions about the possible options were held. The consultants provided several possibilities, staff discussed/evaluated each choice, and ultimately a preferred option was selected.


Thank you for the clarification. I'm glad you guys feel confident you can do it.
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 3333
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:06 am

I thought the old parking garage in front of the terminal was going to be repurposed as the terminal extension. Looks like it will be razed and a new building built on the property.
 
Wacko55
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:23 am

llintner wrote:
freerover wrote:
Western727 wrote:

I'm surprised about the tunnel, given the fact that it's a water table prone to flooding. And let's not forget the airport's closure a few years ago of a day (or two?) due to the tower's first floor getting flooded. Granted, the electrical connections were elevated thereafter, but my point remains that the tunnel idea seems ill-advised. What changed these plans?

Totally agree on the east extension's access to the eastern rwy. A taxiway is sorely needed in that corner.

As well, I agree on the TxDOT work. What's proposed makes a lot of sense to me as an Austin resident and occasional AUS user (via the airlines only, and only as a traveler; I do GA piloting elsewhere). Of course, time will tell how well the planned improvements stand the test of Austin's explosive growth.



My guess is the new head of the port made the call. She hinted at it an ab ABJ interview a couple months ago. She comes from Denver and they have the same style of parallel concourses connected by tunnels. If it turns into a construction or operational nightmare then there might be a lot of "I told you sos".

The TxDot work is going to be really great for EB 71 traffic but not that great for 71 WB traffic. Still going to have a lot of merging.


There were about 30 people in the room when the discussions about the possible options were held. The consultants provided several possibilities, staff discussed/evaluated each choice, and ultimately a preferred option was selected.


Since you have intimate knowledge and work for the airport what preferred option was ultimately selected?
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 1538
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:12 pm

Any potential expansion of the South Terminal? Seems there is a building next to the current structure that could be connected.
 
Mikey711MN
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:19 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:43 pm

freerover wrote:
We got a good update on what the first CIP of the new master plan will be on SSP from poster Mikey.

That guy's a chump and doesn't know what he's talking about. ;)

Good discussion over there and over here, so thanks for sharing.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...
 
freerover
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:48 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:09 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
Any potential expansion of the South Terminal? Seems there is a building next to the current structure that could be connected.


Nope. South terminal is managed by a private company.
 
freerover
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:48 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:21 pm

william wrote:
I thought the old parking garage in front of the terminal was going to be repurposed as the terminal extension. Looks like it will be razed and a new building built on the property.


It was always going to be torn down. New structure is going basically be a giant box with a more open design that will be highly customizable in how they allocate space.
 
freerover
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:48 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:43 pm

Man, I really thought this would ignite a huge discussion! I think both here and SSP have a much greater interest in the new flight news than the infrastructure. I wish I knew of a city thread that just liked to talk infrastructure.
 
Western727
Posts: 1785
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:54 pm

freerover wrote:
Man, I really thought this would ignite a huge discussion! I think both here and SSP have a much greater interest in the new flight news than the infrastructure. I wish I knew of a city thread that just liked to talk infrastructure.


I agree on the huge discussion. I find this all of great interest.

I gotta jump in on something else, tho: what's SSP?
Jack @ AUS
 
freerover
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:48 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:04 pm

AUS put out a press statement celebrating Spirit's first international flight to CAN and their 1 year at the port. It's pretty impressive that they'll be up to 13 cities next month. As a reminder, here are all the new flights:

*Feb 26th, Cancun, Spirit
Mar 26th, Nashville, Spirit
Mar 26th, Newark, Spirit
April 7th, Boston, AA
April 7th, San Jose, AA
April 23rd, Miami, Frontier
*May 6th, Paris, Norwegian
*May 7th, Amsterdam, KLM
*May 16th, Cabo, AA
May 21st, Asheville, Allegiant
May 22nd, Des Moines, Allegiant
May 22nd, Grand Rapids, Allegiant
May 22nd, Knoxville, Allegiant

These are getting shut down
April 21st, Ontario CA, Frontier
April 22nd, Salt Lake City, Frontier
 
Wacko55
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:14 pm

freerover wrote:
AUS put out a press statement celebrating Spirit's first international flight to CAN and their 1 year at the port. It's pretty impressive that they'll be up to 13 cities next month. As a reminder, here are all the new flights:

*Feb 26th, Cancun, Spirit
Mar 26th, Nashville, Spirit
Mar 26th, Newark, Spirit
April 7th, Boston, AA
April 7th, San Jose, AA
April 23rd, Miami, Frontier
*May 6th, Paris, Norwegian
*May 7th, Amsterdam, KLM
*May 16th, Cabo, AA
May 21st, Asheville, Allegiant
May 22nd, Des Moines, Allegiant
May 22nd, Grand Rapids, Allegiant
May 22nd, Knoxville, Allegiant

These are getting shut down
April 21st, Ontario CA, Frontier
April 22nd, Salt Lake City, Frontier


Wouldn't be surprised if both CDG and AMS get postponed or axed due to the virus. Also could see the virus affecting LHR and FRA as well.
 
Western727
Posts: 1785
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:30 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
freerover wrote:
AUS put out a press statement celebrating Spirit's first international flight to CAN and their 1 year at the port. It's pretty impressive that they'll be up to 13 cities next month. As a reminder, here are all the new flights:

*Feb 26th, Cancun, Spirit
Mar 26th, Nashville, Spirit
Mar 26th, Newark, Spirit
April 7th, Boston, AA
April 7th, San Jose, AA
April 23rd, Miami, Frontier
*May 6th, Paris, Norwegian
*May 7th, Amsterdam, KLM
*May 16th, Cabo, AA
May 21st, Asheville, Allegiant
May 22nd, Des Moines, Allegiant
May 22nd, Grand Rapids, Allegiant
May 22nd, Knoxville, Allegiant

These are getting shut down
April 21st, Ontario CA, Frontier
April 22nd, Salt Lake City, Frontier


Wouldn't be surprised if both CDG and AMS get postponed or axed due to the virus. Also could see the virus affecting LHR and FRA as well.


Sister-in-law is taking her family from AUS to AMS in June on KL, and I'm curious how that will turn out as well.
Jack @ AUS
 
KAUSavgeek
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:55 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
freerover wrote:
AUS put out a press statement celebrating Spirit's first international flight to CAN and their 1 year at the port. It's pretty impressive that they'll be up to 13 cities next month. As a reminder, here are all the new flights:

*Feb 26th, Cancun, Spirit
Mar 26th, Nashville, Spirit
Mar 26th, Newark, Spirit
April 7th, Boston, AA
April 7th, San Jose, AA
April 23rd, Miami, Frontier
*May 6th, Paris, Norwegian
*May 7th, Amsterdam, KLM
*May 16th, Cabo, AA
May 21st, Asheville, Allegiant
May 22nd, Des Moines, Allegiant
May 22nd, Grand Rapids, Allegiant
May 22nd, Knoxville, Allegiant

These are getting shut down
April 21st, Ontario CA, Frontier
April 22nd, Salt Lake City, Frontier


Wouldn't be surprised if both CDG and AMS get postponed or axed due to the virus. Also could see the virus affecting LHR and FRA as well.


Man, also wouldn't be surprised if all of out DFW/IAH flights got axed due to the virus....
:shock:
 
KlimaBXsst
Posts: 868
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:03 pm

With South by Southwest bringing hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world to Austin very soon...

Are there any unusual charter flights arriving? Should be a real intersection time this year.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!
 
malev2012
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:26 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
With South by Southwest bringing hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world to Austin very soon...

Are there any unusual charter flights arriving? Should be a real intersection time this year.


Who knows if SXSW happens this year. Lots of large scale conferences have been canceled.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE
 
Wacko55
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:27 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
With South by Southwest bringing hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world to Austin very soon...

Are there any unusual charter flights arriving? Should be a real intersection time this year.


With the mass hysteria surrounding the virus I wouldn't be shocked if SXSW is canceled. As it stands now I'm sure the attendance will plummet if it remains scheduled. It's gonna be a lose/lose any way you look at it.
 
Longhornmaniac
Posts: 3145
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:30 am

tkoenig95 wrote:
On January 30 UA activated their AUS inflight satellite base. Being overseen by the IAH staff, this gives flight attendants more flexibility over their schedules and other positives. The company looks to open a total of seven satellite bases in the coming year. Cheers to the senior mamas who likely filled the base as soon as vacancies opened!


Shockingly, it went very junior. They didn't even fill all the vacancies.
Cheers,
Cameron
 
reggiet
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 5:04 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:51 am

llintner wrote:
freerover wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Thanks, freerover, for the awesome update. Question about the East Terminal Apron expansion finishing next month...what's left? I couldn't tell that there was anything left to complete the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. TIA.


In terms of the actual building, only minor roof work is left. There is also the 2nd phase of the concrete Apron Expansion around the extension. I'm not sure which areas that is.


Also, these are the 2040 master plan projects that are officially underway:
-New Taxiway Foxtrot parallel to the west runway with rapid exit taxiways
-New Braided entrance/exit to Airport at 71 eliminating the traffic light
-Midfield Taxiway Realignment of Hotel and Juliet to make room for new center concourse
-Landside Roadway and Curbside Study which is 1st step of new terminal triple level Pres. Blvd curbside roadway.


Only concrete work left is the area between TWY G3 and TWY C. First three lanes needed to get C1 (formerly R) open to TWY C were paved last week, but rain this week has slowed progress. Next two placements are tomorrow and Saturday. Likely opening mid March. The remainder needed to get C2 open to C should be done late next month. There is one more short closure of TWY G3 required when that work is finished.

As far as the CIP, saw the post yesterday right about the same time the steering committee was adjourning. Fairly large group had just finished discussions on the prioritization of Airside and Landside projects. Same dialogue on Terminal related projects is set for early next week.


Thanks for the update Lauren :bigthumbsup:
Reggie in Austin
 
Wacko55
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:22 pm

With the virus gaining steam I predict TATL service will be decimated at AUS with BA being the only one left standing, reducing service to 2-3x weekly. DI is done and with that no more LGW and CDG will never happen. LH will suspend service to FRA and more than likely probably never return. KLM will postpone new service to AMS and more than likely never start the route. It's inevitable, medium sized airports are going to really be affected by this damn virus.
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:21 am

Wacko55 wrote:
With the virus gaining steam I predict TATL service will be decimated at AUS with BA being the only one left standing, reducing service to 2-3x weekly. DI is done and with that no more LGW and CDG will never happen. LH will suspend service to FRA and more than likely probably never return. KLM will postpone new service to AMS and more than likely never start the route. It's inevitable, medium sized airports are going to really be affected by this damn virus.


KL/LH won’t go away forever, they’ll just return once the epidemic is over.

DY on the other hand? This will probably do them in.
 
User avatar
CPS001
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:21 am

Don't think LH will pull out. Yes, probably DY won't survive this, but in the long run I don't think LH will leave for good. KL might postpone and BA might drop gauge if they have to.
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1291
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:15 pm

Just seeing in CNN Business that SXSW is cancelled.

Edit: and now reported in USA Today as well.

Huge immediate impact, or had bookings already been falling off?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1997
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:50 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
Just seeing in CNN Business that SXSW is cancelled.

Edit: and now reported in USA Today as well.

Huge immediate impact, or had bookings already been falling off?

This is AUS biggest revenue drawl every year.
This is going to Hurt a lot for the city and airport.
Airlines usually add 20% capacity to AUS just for SXSW. I expect airline will cancel quite a few flights in the next 48 hours as cancelled reservations start rolling in.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
KD5MDK
Posts: 832
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:05 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:58 am

Wacko55 wrote:
With the virus gaining steam I predict TATL service will be decimated at AUS with BA being the only one left standing, reducing service to 2-3x weekly. DI is done and with that no more LGW and CDG will never happen. LH will suspend service to FRA and more than likely probably never return. KLM will postpone new service to AMS and more than likely never start the route. It's inevitable, medium sized airports are going to really be affected by this damn virus.

Are you saying air travel will be lower in 2021 by 10+ percent than it was in 2019? Because I think that’s unlikely.
 
freerover
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:48 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:12 pm

Image
Image
Image
 
freerover
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:48 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:25 pm

So if ABIA growth's next 10 years mirrors the last 10 years it will be 10 million off in capacity. However, that level of growth is really unlikely and they can always bump up the lelel of expansion in 5 years.
 
KAUSavgeek
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:55 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 pm

No more LH A340-600 on the 12th
 
Wacko55
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:23 pm

KD5MDK wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:
With the virus gaining steam I predict TATL service will be decimated at AUS with BA being the only one left standing, reducing service to 2-3x weekly. DI is done and with that no more LGW and CDG will never happen. LH will suspend service to FRA and more than likely probably never return. KLM will postpone new service to AMS and more than likely never start the route. It's inevitable, medium sized airports are going to really be affected by this damn virus.


Are you saying air travel will be lower in 2021 by 10+ percent than it was in 2019? Because I think that’s unlikely.


It's possible.....
 
Wacko55
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:48 am

Paul Bunyan is about to start choppin and it aint gonna be pretty. Like size ports are in for a haircut as well. This sucks!
 
malev2012
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:13 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
Paul Bunyan is about to start choppin and it aint gonna be pretty. Like size ports are in for a haircut as well. This sucks!


Yea I don't see how DY survives this to be honest. Some of the ULCC's may be in for a world of hurt as well.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE
 
freerover
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:48 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:36 pm

KAUSavgeek wrote:
No more LH A340-600 on the 12th



Were they scheduled to upgrade to the 600 for the Frankfurt flight for the summer?
 
User avatar
CPS001
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:55 pm

freerover wrote:
KAUSavgeek wrote:
No more LH A340-600 on the 12th



Were they scheduled to upgrade to the 600 for the Frankfurt flight for the summer?
I think just for SXSW.
 
Western727
Posts: 1785
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:11 pm

Looking at AUS's realtime departures on their website just now (~170 scheduled flights from 0600 through 2105 local time, eliminating redundant one-stop flights, especially on WN), I see 68 cancellations. That's roughly 40% and less than I expected. Can anyone offer any insight?
Jack @ AUS
 
Western727
Posts: 1785
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:41 am

Western727 wrote:
Looking at AUS's realtime departures on their website just now (~170 scheduled flights from 0600 through 2105 local time, eliminating redundant one-stop flights, especially on WN), I see 68 cancellations. That's roughly 40% and less than I expected. Can anyone offer any insight?


Tuesday 24 March update: out of 173 flights (again excluding flights that are not nonstops), I see 53 cancellations, roughly 31%, a slight improvement over yesterday. Again, this is non-scientific and based on a visual scan of AUS's real-time departures info, and that more cancellations are possible later in the day.
Jack @ AUS
 
malev2012
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:30 pm

Western727 wrote:
Western727 wrote:
Looking at AUS's realtime departures on their website just now (~170 scheduled flights from 0600 through 2105 local time, eliminating redundant one-stop flights, especially on WN), I see 68 cancellations. That's roughly 40% and less than I expected. Can anyone offer any insight?


Tuesday 24 March update: out of 173 flights (again excluding flights that are not nonstops), I see 53 cancellations, roughly 31%, a slight improvement over yesterday. Again, this is non-scientific and based on a visual scan of AUS's real-time departures info, and that more cancellations are possible later in the day.

Besides NRSA joyriding, who is flying? Honestly would like to know.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE
 
Western727
Posts: 1785
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:47 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Western727 wrote:
Western727 wrote:
Looking at AUS's realtime departures on their website just now (~170 scheduled flights from 0600 through 2105 local time, eliminating redundant one-stop flights, especially on WN), I see 68 cancellations. That's roughly 40% and less than I expected. Can anyone offer any insight?


Tuesday 24 March update: out of 173 flights (again excluding flights that are not nonstops), I see 53 cancellations, roughly 31%, a slight improvement over yesterday. Again, this is non-scientific and based on a visual scan of AUS's real-time departures info, and that more cancellations are possible later in the day.

Besides NRSA joyriding, who is flying? Honestly would like to know.


I wonder as well. I imagine members of our military, health care professionals, government folks and some others need to continue flying, so I'm surprised that there's only been a (roughly) 30-40% cut at AUS for yesterday & today. I was thinking we should see something north of a 50% reduction in flights.
Jack @ AUS
 
Gregarious1
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:32 am

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:02 pm

Give it a week or two and I think we will see a deeper than 50% cut. Corona is just getting started in some places.
 
malev2012
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:03 pm

Western727 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Tuesday 24 March update: out of 173 flights (again excluding flights that are not nonstops), I see 53 cancellations, roughly 31%, a slight improvement over yesterday. Again, this is non-scientific and based on a visual scan of AUS's real-time departures info, and that more cancellations are possible later in the day.

Besides NRSA joyriding, who is flying? Honestly would like to know.


I wonder as well. I imagine members of our military, health care professionals, government folks and some others need to continue flying, so I'm surprised that there's only been a (roughly) 30-40% cut at AUS for yesterday & today. I was thinking we should see something north of a 50% reduction in flights.

I saw that systemwide TSA screened 86% less than a year ago as of yesterday. So clearly the numbers are way down.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE
 
Western727
Posts: 1785
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:00 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Western727 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
Besides NRSA joyriding, who is flying? Honestly would like to know.


I wonder as well. I imagine members of our military, health care professionals, government folks and some others need to continue flying, so I'm surprised that there's only been a (roughly) 30-40% cut at AUS for yesterday & today. I was thinking we should see something north of a 50% reduction in flights.

I saw that systemwide TSA screened 86% less than a year ago as of yesterday. So clearly the numbers are way down.


That's huge. Thanks for that factoid.

I just did another quick scan of the listings for today and I see 73 departure cancellations, a jump over yesterday (Tuesday) and a slight jump over the day before.
Jack @ AUS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ba319-131, BAeRJ100, Baidu [Spider], BeachBoy, Bing [Bot], cm642, cx777fan, cyx323, Ducari, factsonly, Gemuser, GLANKG, Google Adsense [Bot], hbernal1, jakef, Jimothy, NickLAX, Obzerva, qf002, ryanov, SCFlyer, Silver1SWA, timboflier215, trinidadeG, wnskyguy, YYZORD and 242 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos