Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546

Re: South Florida Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:55 pm

tphuang wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

At some point in the near future, B6 will enter FLL-SEA which will severely hurt AS yield here. AS has already made FLL-LAX seasonal and I don't think it's going to last much longer. It seems like an obvious move to relocate to MIA and pick up all the feed they get there. They could try their own meta on MIA-LAX. Hard to see how it can do worse than FLL-LAX.

FLLLAX remains year round. It is being temporarily suspend on a one time basis for five months.

No reason to see AS leave FLL. If anything the AA partnership will strengthen it on FLL-SEA/LAX/SFO.

That said a daily AS 737 to Miami from Seattle, and maybe Portland, is a logical add.

The obvious reality facing as is that b6 has killed them out of FLL to SFO and lax since they entered. That can easily be proved. Mint eats as out for lunch on transcons market. Considering aa itself has minimal presence at FLL. It baffles my mind you keep dreaming as will come back on these routes when it seems much better served to try things out with aa feeds at Mia. It really makes no sense for as to have presence on both FLL and Mia.

SFO, yes. LAX, nope.

Alaska has a hub at LAX and even with the relationship it’s important to keep a presence in top 15 markets from LAX, such as Miami, Chicago, Dallas, Honolulu, DC, Boston and so forth. That presence will continue.

AA’s smaller FLL presence is not the point here. It has a huge South Florida presence and many travelers might find using AS from FLL very convenient instead of going to Miami.

Believe what you want though, sure. Your disdain and hate for Alaska is so...odd.
a.

Brickell305

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:01 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

FLLLAX remains year round. It is being temporarily suspend on a one time basis for five months.

No reason to see AS leave FLL. If anything the AA partnership will strengthen it on FLL-SEA/LAX/SFO.

That said a daily AS 737 to Miami from Seattle, and maybe Portland, is a logical add.

The obvious reality facing as is that b6 has killed them out of FLL to SFO and lax since they entered. That can easily be proved. Mint eats as out for lunch on transcons market. Considering aa itself has minimal presence at FLL. It baffles my mind you keep dreaming as will come back on these routes when it seems much better served to try things out with aa feeds at Mia. It really makes no sense for as to have presence on both FLL and Mia.

SFO, yes. LAX, nope.

Alaska has a hub at LAX and even with the relationship it’s important to keep a presence in top 15 markets from LAX, such as Miami, Chicago, Dallas, Honolulu, DC, Boston and so forth. That presence will continue.

AA’s smaller FLL presence is not the point here. It has a huge South Florida presence and many travelers might find using AS from FLL very convenient instead of going to Miami.

Believe what you want though, sure. Your disdain and hate for Alaska is so...odd.

Don’t forget that per A. Net, everyone from Broward flies exclusively out of FLL and AA’s frequent flier base ends at the county line.

tphuang

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:13 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

SFO, yes. LAX, nope.

AS started off with 3x daily in peak season and 2x daily in summer season after the VX merger. Now, they are down to seasonal 1x daily. Their yields are consistently 2/3 that of JetBlue. I'd say that's pretty obvious weakness.

If they are willing to cut SFO, a larger station for them, then there is no reason they won't cut LAX.

Again, if they are getting killed on FLL-LAX/SFO and can move to the preferred airport of South Florida with a partner providing feeds, why wouldn't they?

My disdain for Alaska? I just spent the entire AS/AA thread saying what a great move it is for them and praising the AS management for turning their fortunes around.

You can believe anything, but my statements regarding AS in the past couple of years have been remarkably on target. AS management is much smarter than AS fanboys. They always seem to make the reasonable move (well, outside of DAL)

Brickell305 wrote:
Don’t forget that per A. Net, everyone from Broward flies exclusively out of FLL and AA’s frequent flier base ends at the county line.

Right, so if loyal AA ff are flying out of MIA regardless, then there is no reason for AS to not fly to MIA, is there? Can you make a real argument why AS should be picking FLL over MIA?

jbpdx

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:45 pm

flymia wrote:
With AS taking care of FLL-West Coast and AA taking care of MIA. Maybe see AS on SEA-MIA.

AS flies FLL-SEA and FLL-LAX, that’s it. That’s not “taking care of the West Coast.” AA and AS don’t fly to either MIA or FLL from PDX. No one flies PDX-South Florida. Delta could block AA/AS on the route if they act first. PDEW would support only one nonstop.
^

Brickell305

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:48 pm

tphuang wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

SFO, yes. LAX, nope.

AS started off with 3x daily in peak season and 2x daily in summer season after the VX merger. Now, they are down to seasonal 1x daily. Their yields are consistently 2/3 that of JetBlue. I'd say that's pretty obvious weakness.

If they are willing to cut SFO, a larger station for them, then there is no reason they won't cut LAX.

Again, if they are getting killed on FLL-LAX/SFO and can move to the preferred airport of South Florida with a partner providing feeds, why wouldn't they?

My disdain for Alaska? I just spent the entire AS/AA thread saying what a great move it is for them and praising the AS management for turning their fortunes around.

You can believe anything, but my statements regarding AS in the past couple of years have been remarkably on target. AS management is much smarter than AS fanboys. They always seem to make the reasonable move (well, outside of DAL)

Brickell305 wrote:

Right, so if loyal AA ff are flying out of MIA regardless, then there is no reason for AS to not fly to MIA, is there? Can you make a real argument why AS should be picking FLL over MIA?

Well for one, their costs might be lower out of FLL. Also, as already explained to you, while people from Broward do fly out of MIA, there are many who might find it more convenient to go to/from FLL if they can remain AA loyal while doing so.

tphuang

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

SFO, yes. LAX, nope.

Brickell305 wrote:

Well for one, their costs might be lower out of FLL. Also, as already explained to you, while people from Broward do fly out of MIA, there are many who might find it more convenient to go to/from FLL if they can remain AA loyal while doing so.

Did you miss the part where they are bleeding money on FLL-LAX and they cut it back from 3x daily in peak season to seasonal? If FLL is not working, why not go with the airport that has all the feed in the world?

MAH4546

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:56 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

SFO, yes. LAX, nope.

Brickell305 wrote:

Plus, FLL is not a “secondary” airport. It’s busier than Dulles or Philadelphia. It ended 2019 less than 30,000 passengers behind Detroit. There’s a market for Alaska at FLL independent of whatever it decides to do re MIA. No different than how AS serves EWR/JFK, IAD/DCA/BWI and DAL/DFW.

Funny how amateur CEOs here think they can look at T100 data and determine everything about an airlines profits.
a.

tphuang

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:03 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Plus, FLL is not a “secondary” airport. It’s busier than Dulles or Philadelphia. It ended 2019 less than 30,000 passengers behind Detroit. There’s a market for Alaska at FLL independent of whatever it decides to do re MIA. No different than how AS serves EWR/JFK, IAD/DCA/BWI and DAL/DFW.

Funny how amateur CEOs here think they can look at T100 data and determine everything about an airlines profits.

Yet, this amateur CEO managed to predict a huge chunk of AS cuts in the past 2 years. I will just leave it as that. Let's wait for a year and we will see what AS does.

Geminijets101

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:22 pm

Could MIA/FLL-PDX happen? Crazy seeing it still hasn't.
Cíao

jbpdx

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:18 pm

Geminijets101 wrote:
Could MIA/FLL-PDX happen? Crazy seeing it still hasn't.

Watch out. A question like that can trigger the Portland bashers to swarm.
^

Miami

Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:17 pm

British Airways to increase MIA service temporarily from April 1st - May 31st. Service will now be 3 daily instead of 2.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Miami

Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:34 pm

Miami wrote:
British Airways to increase MIA service temporarily from April 1st - May 31st. Service will now be 3 daily instead of 2.

747, 777-300ER, A380.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

OB1504

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:26 pm

Turkish Airlines apparently has a lounge at MIA concourse E now. Are they moving from J to E? It wouldn’t make sense otherwise to have the lounge in a completely different terminal.

MAH4546

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:35 pm

OB1504 wrote:
Turkish Airlines apparently has a lounge at MIA concourse E now. Are they moving from J to E? It wouldn’t make sense otherwise to have the lounge in a completely different terminal.

No plans to move. The lounge is there for Priority Pass members.
a.

Miami

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:54 am

Virgin Atlantic to include the Airbus A330-200 into their rotation for their Miami service.
Effective at the start of the winter season, the A330-200 will be utilized on 4 of their 14 weekly flights.
787-9 and A330-300 will also operate to/from Miami.

VS117 LHR1010 – 1525MIA 789 345
VS117 LHR1010 – 1525MIA 333 x345
VS005 LHR1315 – 1830MIA 333 235
VS005 LHR1315 – 1830MIA 332 x235

VS118 MIA1800 – 0735+1LHR 789 345
VS118 MIA1800 – 0735+1LHR 333 x345
VS006 MIA2035 – 1010+1LHR 333 235
VS006 MIA2035 – 1010+1LHR 332 x235

Miami

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:19 am

At the start of the Summer season, Virgin Atlantic will codeshare with Delta on the following routes:

Virgin Atlantic operated by Delta
Miami – Orlando
Miami – Raleigh/Durham
Miami – Salt Lake City
Miami – Tampa

Miami

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:24 pm

Miami International Airport traffic highlights for January 2020:
Passengers: 4.2 million, +0.4% year-on-year;
Domestic: 2.2 million, +4.9%;
International: 2.0 million, -4.3%;

Cargo: 196,019 tons, -1.7%;
Domestic: 32,972 tons, -4.3%;
International: 163,047 tons, -1.1%;

Aircraft movements: 37,841, -1.3%;
Domestic: 21,013, +3.2%;
International: 16,828, -6.4%.

Miami

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 pm

MIA among approved airports for flights from Europe:
https://news.miami-airport.com/mia-amon ... 2CLYXCEkuM

Miami

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:18 pm

Final Vote on $5 Billion Funding For MIA Set For Next Week:
https://www.thenextmiami.com/final-vote ... DcUCNDkAlo

Miami

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:15 am

Due to COVID-19, Qatar Airways will suspend Miami service from March 29 until June 20.

Miami

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:16 am

Due to COVID-19, Emirates to temporarily suspend Fort Lauderdale service effective immediately.

Miami

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:16 am

It should be noted that many airlines will suspend routes due to COVID-19.

MAH4546

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:40 am

Miami wrote:
Due to COVID-19, Emirates to temporarily suspend Fort Lauderdale service effective immediately.

Through 30 June. Also suspending SFO, IAH, JFK, EWR, SEA and MCO.

Miami wrote:
Due to COVID-19, Qatar Airways will suspend Miami service from March 29 until June 20.

Through 1 June. Also suspending BOS, ATL, LAX, PHL and IAH.
a.

Miami

Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:52 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Miami wrote:

l

Miami wrote:

Through 1 June. Also suspending BOS, ATL, LAX, PHL and IAH.

Oops. Correct. Thanks.

Miami

Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:55 pm

British Airways will temporarily suspend Miami from March 29 until April 30.

Three daily will resume instead of two.

727LOVER

Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:19 pm

Miami wrote:

Still planning an A380?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

727LOVER

Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:21 pm

DELETE :lol:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Miami

Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:47 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Miami wrote:

Still planning an A380?

Yes. Once it resumes. 777 as well.

Miami

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:44 pm

DHL has launced five times weekly Brussels-Miami service with 767F.

dfwjim1

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:39 pm

I was driving by FLL yesterday and I noticed that UAL had parked a few of their aircraft near the FEDEX ramp, apparently in storage. Just curious why UAL is keeping aircraft at FLL instead at one of their hubs.

MAH4546

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:32 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
I was driving by FLL yesterday and I noticed that UAL had parked a few of their aircraft near the FEDEX ramp, apparently in storage. Just curious why UAL is keeping aircraft at FLL instead at one of their hubs.

There isn’t enough space at hubs.

Alaska is using GSO and doesn’t even fly there.
a.

JFKCMILAXFLL

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:50 pm

Speaking of FLL, I was wondering if they have closed down the viewing areas in order to enhance "social distancing". The one on the south side with a view of 10R/28L is actually a park, so I guess whatever they are doing with the regular parks might apply, while the 10L/28R viewing is just a lot, easy to block off from Perimeter Rd. Not really much to see anyway, with no more Norwegian Dreamliner flights, or the 772s from BA and EK.

Seabear

Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:31 pm

JFKCMILAXFLL wrote:
Speaking of FLL, I was wondering if they have closed down the viewing areas in order to enhance "social distancing". The one on the south side with a view of 10R/28L is actually a park, so I guess whatever they are doing with the regular parks might apply, while the 10L/28R viewing is just a lot, easy to block off from Perimeter Rd. Not really much to see anyway, with no more Norwegian Dreamliner flights, or the 772s from BA and EK.

All Broward County parks are closed for the duration.

jco613

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:33 pm

Seabear wrote:
JFKCMILAXFLL wrote:

North side observation area is closed indefinitely for construction. South side is a park so whatever they are doing with the parks. I was down there last week and there were so many people that I left right away

OB1504

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:38 pm

Does anyone know who the Wamos and evelop! charters are for?

MAH4546 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

There isn’t enough space at hubs.

Alaska is using GSO and doesn’t even fly there.

In a similar vein, the eastern U at MIA is full of parked LATAM passenger 767s.

doug

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:29 am

MIA temporally shuts down terminals E,F and G

Miami

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:38 am

OB1504 wrote:
Does anyone know who the Wamos and evelop! charters are for?

Repatriation flights.

Miami

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:41 am

Expect more repatriation flights in the coming days not only to MIA but FLL as well. FLL might see some today (April 3).

Wamos came in with four 747s and an A330. Mainly for cruise ship workers. Another 747 is coming today.

JFKCMILAXFLL

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:10 pm

Miami wrote:
Expect more repatriation flights in the coming days not only to MIA but FLL as well. FLL might see some today (April 3).

Wamos came in with four 747s and an A330. Mainly for cruise ship workers. Another 747 is coming today.

Thanks for the tip. Just checked FLL arrivals on fr24.com, only thing of note is an Eastern 763 on an apparent repositioning flight from MIA. Even though going to the spotting areas is out, many flights overfly my home during easterly flow (coming from the east or north).

Miami

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:33 pm

JFKCMILAXFLL wrote:
Miami wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Just checked FLL arrivals on fr24.com, only thing of note is an Eastern 763 on an apparent repositioning flight from MIA. Even though going to the spotting areas is out, many flights overfly my home during easterly flow (coming from the east or north).

Privilege 767 landed at 8:25am in FLL.

mugler

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:40 pm

Miami wrote:

I'm assuming they postponed this because I've seen Qatar planes land at MIA these past days. Repatriation flights for cruise crews maybe?

Miami

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:49 pm

mugler wrote:
Miami wrote:

Repatriation flights for cruise crews maybe?

Yes. From/to YYZ.

OB1504

Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:23 pm

Miami wrote:
mugler wrote:
Miami wrote:

Yes. From/to YYZ.

The Qatar flight today appears to be going to/from Doha.

Also a British Airways 747 en route to MIA right now for repatriation flight.

Miami

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:53 am

OB1504 wrote:
Miami wrote:
mugler wrote:

Yes. From/to YYZ.

Correct.

JFKCMILAXFLL

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:50 pm

OB1504 wrote:
Miami wrote:
mugler wrote:

Yes. From/to YYZ.

I saw that one on fr24. BA91##, IIRC. A few hours later than the usual BA207.

canyonblue17

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:42 pm

All Broward County parks are closed for the duration.[/quote]
North side observation area is closed indefinitely for construction. South side is a park so whatever they are doing with the parks. I was down there last week and there were so many people that I left right away[/quote]

Was at FLL a few days ago and both the north and south observation areas - including parking - were completely open. And the north side ATC speaker was in operation.

Was at MIA the same day - and noticed "The Holes" may be gone forever, as a large construction project now completely surrounds it.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

OB1504

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:15 am

canyonblue17 wrote:
Was at MIA the same day - and noticed "The Holes" may be gone forever, as a large construction project now completely surrounds it.

I think they’re still accessible, though. I drove past there on Thursday and the holes are still present at least.

canyonblue17

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:06 pm

Any other decent locations to shoot north side arrivals at MIA other than The Holes? With concourses closed, and European flights severely reduced, the south side is getting much less traffic.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

Miami

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:47 am

canyonblue17 wrote:
Any other decent locations to shoot north side arrivals at MIA other than The Holes? With concourses closed, and European flights severely reduced, the south side is getting much less traffic.

There’s a few unofficial locations.

jco613

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:14 pm

canyonblue17 wrote:
North side observation area is closed indefinitely for construction. South side is a park so whatever they are doing with the parks. I was down there last week and there were so many people that I left right away

Was at FLL a few days ago and both the north and south observation areas - including parking - were completely open. And the north side ATC speaker was in operation.

Sweet! Glad to know it reopened. I’ll be making a trip over there soon. Not too much to look at now though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos